PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 MBB Schedule Speculation

pfrduke
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Because it's never too early to think about next year, some thoughts on the schedule.

First, we know we'll play Michigan State in the Champions Classic (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5898231) at MSG on Nov. 15.

Second, we'll be playing in Maui. The tournament has a new format (http://www.mauiinvitational.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=114) this year, with 4 additional "mainland" teams that play early games at the "Maui-bound" teams' home arenas, so it looks like Duke will get 4 total games out of the Maui Invitational. These games are scheduled to occur Nov. 11-17. I would predict that Duke plays its game on the early side, before the Champions Classic. If not, it would definitely be the 17th.

Third, I am assuming that the ACC/Big 10 challenge will be renewed (especially since they can now go 12-on-12), but it's not a guarantee (the current deal ended with this season's matchup). If it does renew, I could see Duke going on the road, perhaps to Purdue again (which would be a semi-homecoming game for all the Plumlees). Ohio State would also be a good matchup - I could be wrong, but I don't think we've ever played the Buckeyes in the challenge.

So that's six non-conference games. We will probably have 15 total non-conference games, two of which will almost certainly come during our "bye" slots in the ACC schedule. Any news on who those other 9 opponents might be? I don't recall whether the St. John's series is done, but if it's not, they're due to pay us a visit.

In terms of timing and 903, there's a very real possibility that it happens in a tiny little gym in Lahaina. The only way it doesn't is if: 1) we schedule an additional game before we leave for Maui so that we have three prior to reaching the island (MSU, mainland Maui Invitational game, and one more); and 2) we beat Michigan State.

In terms of opponent and 903, I have no idea whether Duke gets any say over which teams join the Maui Invitational as "mainland" teams, so that could simply be luck of the draw. But assuming we had our pick, who do we go with for 903? Go historical, and schedule Lehigh (K's first win) or Stetson (K's first win at Duke)? Go symbolic, and schedule Indiana (note: I think there is zero chance of this happening)? Go biographical, and schedule Army? Or try to schedule a heavyweight and make the game a really big deal (even moreso than it already would be)?

If 903 waits until Lahaina, then the question of opponent becomes more limited. I assume that the Maui bracket will be set up for Duke and Kansas to meet in the finals, with UCLA and Georgetown split up to be the designated semifinal opponents. That leaves Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, and Chaminade as potential first round opponents. I, for one, hope it's not Chaminade (although what a story it would be if the Silver Swords won and kept K stuck on 902). Memphis and Michigan are almost certainly going to be pre-season top 25 teams, so my guess would be Tennessee.

WiJoe
04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
It's been floated that the University of Southern California will play at Duke.

Duvall
04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Duke-Temple return game tentatively set for Jan. 4, 2012 (http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-24/sports/28623637_1_fran-dunphy-micheal-eric-scootie-randall).

hurleyfor3
04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Do we know what the ACC schedule will look like? Who we get twice, etc.

pfrduke
04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Do we know what the ACC schedule will look like? Who we get twice, etc.

I believe that 2011 was the last year of the three-year rotation, and the new three-year set has not yet been released.

On that note, any chance that we go to 18 conference games?

blazindw
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
FYI, we played Ohio State back in 2002 at the G-Boro Coliseum, winning 91-76.

I would imagine since we're playing MSU that we play either Ohio State or Purdue on the road. Usually they match up the previous season's champions together, which would be us and OSU.

I've also heard that we might play USC in LA as a stopover on our way out to Maui...but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that. I think that's just as possible depending on who we play the first couple games in the Maui luau, with USC playing in Cameron another season.

Duvall
04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I've also heard that we might play USC in LA as a stopover on our way out to Maui...but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that. I think that's just as possible depending on who we play the first couple games in the Maui luau, with USC playing in Cameron another season.

903 at the Galen Center? Ew.

SCMatt33
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
If 903 waits until Lahaina, then the question of opponent becomes more limited. I assume that the Maui bracket will be set up for Duke and Kansas to meet in the finals, with UCLA and Georgetown split up to be the designated semifinal opponents. That leaves Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, and Chaminade as potential first round opponents. I, for one, hope it's not Chaminade (although what a story it would be if the Silver Swords won and kept K stuck on 902). Memphis and Michigan are almost certainly going to be pre-season top 25 teams, so my guess would be Tennessee.

If the opponent were Chaminade, would it technically be 903 at all since it's a non-DI opponent. I know that for NCAA selection purposes, only DI opponents count, but I don't know if the same is true for records.

meloveduke
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
FYI, we played Ohio State back in 2002 at the G-Boro Coliseum, winning 91-76.

I would imagine since we're playing MSU that we play either Ohio State or Purdue on the road. Usually they match up the previous season's champions together, which would be us and OSU.

Do you mean turnny champs or season champs? If its season champs that would put UNC at Ohio st or Ohio st at UNC.....

Didnt robbie redshirt for Purdue again?

blazindw
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Do you mean turnny champs or season champs? If its season champs that would put UNC at Ohio st or Ohio st at UNC.....

Didnt robbie redshirt for Purdue again?

Official champs. For the ACC, the tourney champ is the official champ. For the Big Ten, I believe it's the regular season champ. Of course, this is not an exact science, but it seems that those two teams are matched up each season if possible.

SCMatt33
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Official champs. For the ACC, the tourney champ is the official champ. For the Big Ten, I believe it's the regular season champ. Of course, this is not an exact science, but it seems that those two teams are matched up each season if possible.

You sure, last time the ACC champ and regular season champ was different in 09, Both regular season champs (Michigan St. and UNC) were paired up the following year. I always assumed that they just tried to make good TV match-ups while making sure that the same two teams weren't being paired up to often and teams played about equal amounts of home and road games over the long run.

gumbomoop
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I believe that 2011 was the last year of the three-year rotation, and the new three-year set has not yet been released.

On that note, any chance that we go to 18 conference games?

A few days ago on the "Next Year" thread, I posted my quasi-educated guess - my speculation, not certain, but plausible - as to our 2011-12 ACC schedule. Again, speculation, as befits the title of this thread.

Here I simply repeat what I posted there.....

Herewith the ACC unbalanced schedule for next year. Two caveats, which, depending on what any poster thinks [or knows, inside-info-style], may render this post either dead-certain-right-on or mere, if interesting, speculation: (1) I assume, but am not certain, that the ACC will continue its unbalanced schedule of a 16-game ACC season. (2) I assume that if (1) is true, then the ACC will not re-invent the wheel, i.e., the actual 3-year rotating pattern that was established beginning with the '05-'06 season, was repeated beginning with the '08-'09 season, and would therefore be repeated again beginning with the '11-'12 season.

Over the past 6 seasons, each team's unbalanced schedule follows this pattern:
'05-'06 = '08-'09
'06-'07 = '09-'10
'07-'08 = '10-'11

So, assuming (1) and (2) in the first paragraph above:
'11-'12 = '08-'09

Link is below, but here's a quick summary of the Duke and UNC schedules:

Duke -
primary partners (H & A) - UNC, Md
rotating H & A partners - Wake, FSU, VT
rotating H only partners - NCS, UVa, Miami
rotating A only partners - GaT, BC, Clemson

UNC -
primary partners (H & A) - Duke, NCS
rotating H & A partners - Md, UVa, Miami
rotating H only partners - GaT, BC, Clemson
rotating A only partners - Wake, FSU, VT

Link here: http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hot...el-three-years

A key statement from the 3-year schedule page is that over the 3 years, each team will have played its 2 "primary partners" 6 times [for Duke: UNC and Md; for UNC: Duke and NCS], and its "rotating partners" 4 times.

Finally, back to caveats: I suppose one might speculate that if the ACC is considering a longer ACC schedule, or some divisional structure which would necessitate new scheduling, then it makes some sense to make such a change at the end of a 3-year cycle. The '10-'11 season does in fact complete a 3-year cycle.

wk2109
04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
If Duke doesn't go to Purdue for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, Coach K will probably try to schedule a game in Indiana for Miles, right? (Because he tries to schedule a game in his scholarship seniors' home states.) IU? Butler??

tommy
04-02-2011, 12:06 AM
If Duke doesn't go to Purdue for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, Coach K will probably try to schedule a game in Indiana for Miles, right? (Because he tries to schedule a game in his scholarship seniors' home states.) IU? Butler??

If so, I'd love to see us go play Butler again in Indianapolis. I'd actually prefer it at Hinkle, but as we know K doesn't really schedule those types of games much, preferring them at the big, tournament-like arenas. Butler would seem to be more logical than the Hoosiers, as will have already scheduled Big 10 foes Michigan St. and our opponent in the ACC-Big 10 challenge. And Butler would probably help our SOS and RPI more than Indiana too.:D

Olympic Fan
04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Just a couple of points:

-- I hope win 903 doesn't come against Chaminade. Yeah, it would count even though the Silverswords are a Division II team (believe me, almost every coach has at least a couple of DII wins), it would just be kind of lame to win it against a non-DI team. It's interesting that even though Duke has been to Maui four times -- winning the title in 2007, 2001, 1997 and 1992 -- Duke has only played Chaminade once (so K already has a DII win among his 900).

--K doesn't always schedule games for his seniors. He does at times when it works out -- at Oregon last year -- but not everybody gets one. But I think Butler (or Indiana) in Canseco Fieldhouse would be just the kind of game that K would like to schedule.

-- Don't be so sure that Duke goes on the road in the Big 10 Challenge. They balance such things over the course of the contract, but with one contract ending and a new one beginning, it's possible that Duke could start the new cycle with a home game. Pretty sure that there will b a renewall -- I had an ACC official tell me that Wake would face Nebraska next December! BTW, there is no provision to match the previous years champs, no matter how they are determined. They just try to arrange the best TV matchups.

-- It might be Michigan in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. The Wolverines have everybody back (assuming no early defections) from the team that lost the thriller to Duke in Charlotte. They are going to be picked very high in the Big 10 next year (maybe even one of Sullinger changes his mind and goes pro). And, yes, Robbie Hummell will be back at Purdue for a fifth-year. Of course, if the two ae bracketed together in Maui, that might change things.

-- K always plays an Ivy. He usually tries to schedule a projected contender -- Cornell and Princeton recently. The problem is that Harvard is going to be the preseason favorite in the Ivy and I doubt K will want to play Tommy.

-- Certain there will be a New York area game just before Christmas -- probably in the Meadowlands (since Duke plays MSU in MSG). I wonder who?

hurleyfor3
04-03-2011, 01:28 PM

UNC -

Sorry it's taking me a few days to come back around on this... so we get to reprise all our road losses from this year. Also, we have to go to Clemson and unc only has to play them at home.

Is it me or do we always always always get jobbed by this damn unbalanced schedule?

I do wonder how much the league will consider an 18-game schedule. With the league becoming more top-heavy in recent years, the best way for the middling teams to get NCAA tournament bids may be to have more potential home games against us and unc.

gumbomoop
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
... so we get to reprise all our road losses from this year. Also, we have to go to Clemson and unc only has to play them at home.

Is it me or do we always always always get jobbed by this damn unbalanced schedule?

1. getting jobbed - This has been my view over the past 2 seasons, but others [OlyFan and/or ACCBBFan and/or others] have persuaded me that it's mostly my paranoia - and now yours.

2. to prove I'm slightly less paranoid than previously - As I look at these schedules [again, I think likely, but not yet certain, as this is just my logical assumption, not yet an official ACC announcement], I see, for the first time in human history, more advantages than disadvantages, vis-a-vis UNC. Now, one's views of advantage/disadvantage will depend substantially on one's "predictions" about who'll be strong, who weak next season, so.....

(a.) Duke has Miami only H, while UNC has both H/A. I got Miami as #3 next year, so I say this is a + for Duke.
(b.) I wonder whether NCS will be significantly improved; if so, again, we get them only H, while UNC gets their "permanent partner" both H/A. Maybe a + for Duke.
(c.) I'm guessing UVa will definitely be better next year; thus, ditto (b) above.
(d.) Once every 3 years, both Duke and UNC play Md H/A. So if one thinks Md gets up for UNC almost as much as for Duke, then at least next season it's "balanced" on this point.
(e.) Now Duke does have to play FSU twice, but at least UNC gets them A rather than H. Ditto for VaT: Duke plays them twice, but at least UNC gets them A.
(f.) 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F - advantage Duke.
(g.) Duke gets Wake twice, UNC only once, A. That seems a + for Duke.
(h.) Clemson - definite + for UNC, as per your post [and our paranoia]

Overall, then, given my assumptions about who'll be top 1/2 and who bottom in next year's ACC, I'll say that this is the first season I can remember that Duke hasn't gotten jobbed.

I do hope you and others will refute my optimistic speculations, as I am rather happier when paranoid.

Dev11
04-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Just a couple of points:

-- I hope win 903 doesn't come against Chaminade. Yeah, it would count even though the Silverswords are a Division II team (believe me, almost every coach has at least a couple of DII wins), it would just be kind of lame to win it against a non-DI team. It's interesting that even though Duke has been to Maui four times -- winning the title in 2007, 2001, 1997 and 1992 -- Duke has only played Chaminade once (so K already has a DII win among his 900).

We normally play two D-II schools for 'pre-season,' and I know those don't count, so shouldn't the games that teams play against Chaminade in Maui every year not be counted, too?

uh_no
04-04-2011, 01:20 AM
We normally play two D-II schools for 'pre-season,' and I know those don't count, so shouldn't the games that teams play against Chaminade in Maui every year not be counted, too?

No. The 'pre season' games are scheduled as exhibitions. Each team is allowed 2 exhibitions each year (i believe)

The game against chaminade is a regular season game...just like any other...other than there is probably some limit on the number of games against DII opponents in the regular season.

SCMatt33
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
No. The 'pre season' games are scheduled as exhibitions. Each team is allowed 2 exhibitions each year (i believe)

The game against chaminade is a regular season game...just like any other...other than there is probably some limit on the number of games against DII opponents in the regular season.

The game against Chaminade (should it happen) would be scheduled like a regular season game and count in our record as one, but it is not like any other. While it does count for archival purposes, it technically would not count in the eyes of the selection committee or in our RPI. They look at D-I record only.

Exiled_Devil
04-04-2011, 09:18 AM
In terms of timing and 903, there's a very real possibility that it happens in a tiny little gym in Lahaina. The only way it doesn't is if: 1) we schedule an additional game before we leave for Maui so that we have three prior to reaching the island (MSU, mainland Maui Invitational game, and one more); and 2) we beat Michigan State.

In terms of opponent and 903, I have no idea whether Duke gets any say over which teams join the Maui Invitational as "mainland" teams, so that could simply be luck of the draw. But assuming we had our pick, who do we go with for 903? Go historical, and schedule Lehigh (K's first win) or Stetson (K's first win at Duke)? Go symbolic, and schedule Indiana (note: I think there is zero chance of this happening)? Go biographical, and schedule Army? Or try to schedule a heavyweight and make the game a really big deal (even moreso than it already would be)?

We already have our plane tickets and house rented for Maui, and last week I did this same math. I would be very excited if it happened in Maui, and I don't care who it is against. The idea that it needs to be special or against a great opponent is only relevant if 903 is the final game of K's career. He'll have plenty of great games after that one.

<speculation>
In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the AD schedules so that 903 is almost guaranteed to happen at home. It would be a great way to reward the fans and make it a big celebration. I'm not sure that Coach K would allow that instead of the regular scheduling strategy, but a mitigating factor would be the experience that the team would have from its trip to China.
</speculation>

Also, I saw someone on a discussion board say they wanted to play USC onteh way to Hawaii, but I don't recall layover games in the past. Again, it doesn't really fit the mold of prepping for the NCAA. Where a long flight to prep for 3 games in 3 days is a better preparation for tournament play.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I believe the Plumlees are from a part of Indiana that is as close to Chicago as it is to Indianapolis, so it is possible that either we will play someone in Chicago or Coach K considers one of our recent games in Chicago to have been their home game. Plus, tickets might not have been easy to come by for their local fans, but Mason and Miles got two games in Indianapolis last April that turned out pretty well!

1 24 90
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM
MBB: Big Ten Announces Home and Away Designations for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
By Big Ten Conference on April 14, 2011 11:41 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
The Big Ten Conference has announced the home and away designations for the 2011 Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge. Complete matchup information will be available in May. The Big Ten won the 2010 Challenge, 6-5.

Big Ten Home Teams: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue
Big Ten Away Teams: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

I found this on the Big Ten website and tried to find a listing of the ACC home/road teams. Has anyone seen anything from the ACC? I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Duke was sent to OSU but then I don't know who they would have UNC play. Maybe Wisconsin?

uh_no
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
MBB: Big Ten Announces Home and Away Designations for Big Ten/ACC Challenge
By Big Ten Conference on April 14, 2011 11:41 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
The Big Ten Conference has announced the home and away designations for the 2011 Big Ten/ACC Men's Basketball Challenge. Complete matchup information will be available in May. The Big Ten won the 2010 Challenge, 6-5.

Big Ten Home Teams: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue
Big Ten Away Teams: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

I found this on the Big Ten website and tried to find a listing of the ACC home/road teams. Has anyone seen anything from the ACC? I looked for awhile and couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Duke was sent to OSU but then I don't know who they would have UNC play. Maybe Wisconsin?

I would be shocked if it wasn't osu/unc.

Newton_14
04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
I would be shocked if it wasn't osu/unc.

Agree. With Kentucky spoiling the party in the NCAA Tourney by springing the upset on OSU, we will see UNC/OSU in the Challenge. I would bet Duke faces Michigan as well..

uh_no
04-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Agree. With Kentucky spoiling the party in the NCAA Tourney by springing the upset on OSU, we will see UNC/OSU in the Challenge. I would bet Duke faces Michigan as well..

Not only that, but I feel they generally go for the big time hype matchup at the top (duke MSU this year is a perfect example of that). With UNC consensus top 2 in the nation, and OSU returning a monster of a team with one of the best players in the country, I can't see how the committee who makes the pairings could pass this one up.

Nugget
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Unless they switch things around with this (I think) being the first year of a new contract for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, we would be due for a road game and Carolina for a home game, in which case UNC couldn't play at Ohio St.

If they stick to the past practice, then I'd expect we would be at Ohio St., and Carolina would host Michigan.

Given the anticipated rankings, I do agree it would make more sense to flip the order of the years when Duke and Carolina play at home vs. go on the road, so they could match the Heels and Ohio St., and us and Michigan.

1 24 90
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
In recent years, they seem to do whatever they want. In the last 4 years Duke hosted Wisconsin, played at Purdue, played at Wisconsin and hosted Michigan St.

Duke has never received the return visit from Purdue and we know it won't be Michigan State since we play them in the Champions Classic.

I agree with uh_no in that a UNC/OSU matchup may be too enticing especially since a Michigan at UNC doesn't sound appealing at all (to me).

uh_no
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Unless they switch things around with this (I think) being the first year of a new contract for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, we would be due for a road game and Carolina for a home game, in which case UNC couldn't play at Ohio St.

Yes, it's the first year, and no, there are no rules requiring it to alternate home and away. If that were the case, each school would only ever be able to play half of the schools in the other conference (if Duke were home in even years and away on odd years, then we'd only ever play big10 schools that were away on even years and home on odd years). As far as I'm aware, the only thing the contract stipulates with regard to this is that each team plays half of their games away and half at home.

As someone else pointed out, we played two away games in a row in 2008 and 2009.

Duke: A Dynasty
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.mauiinvitational.com/teams/fieldsfuture.asp

Duke, G'town, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA, Tennesse and Chaminade.

Other teams will be added another time

pfrduke
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.mauiinvitational.com/teams/fieldsfuture.asp

Duke, G'town, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA, Tennesse and Chaminade.

Other teams will be added another time

Any predictions on the matchups?

My preferred set-up (which is at least close to how I think they'll actually set it up, although I still worry that we'll get Chaminade):

Duke-Georgetown
UCLA-Tennessee
(winners play in semis)

Kansas-Chaminade
Memphis-Michigan
(winners play in semis)

1 24 90
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/051711aab.html

DukieinSoCal
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/051711aab.html

Wow. What a great test for us, especially our bigs going up against Sullinger. I thought UNC would play OSU, like everyone else, but I'm pretty excited about the matchup.

loldevilz
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow. What a great test for us, especially our bigs going up against Sullinger. I thought UNC would play OSU, like everyone else, but I'm pretty excited about the matchup.

Awesome. That will be a heck of a game. Can't wait to see how the Plums do with Sully.

blazindw
05-17-2011, 03:31 PM
As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road. Should be a big test for us and, with it being the day before my birthday, I may try to head to Columbus to see it go down!

Mike Corey
05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road. Should be a big test for us and, with it being the day before my birthday, I may try to head to Columbus to see it go down!

You'd better, amigo. Just don't wear any of that M*chibad clothing.

Since OSU's football program may no longer exist come November, I anticipate a loud Schottenstein Center for the Duke game.

Bucks have a lot of firepower returning. Should be an interesting early-season contest.

blazindw
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
You'd better, amigo. Just don't wear any of that M*chibad clothing.

Since OSU's football program may no longer exist come November, I anticipate a loud Schottenstein Center for the Duke game.

Bucks have a lot of firepower returning. Should be an interesting early-season contest.

I promise I will leave most of my Michigan gear at home ;)

HCheek37
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
There is alot of debate on how the schedule will look....does anyone have a prelim look of how it actually sets up?

Black Mambo
05-18-2011, 04:26 PM
As I guessed, we draw OSU on the road.

Does anyone know if this game will actually be in Columbus or if it will be at the Q (where the Cavs play) in Cleveland? I'm hoping the latter because with a then 8 month old baby, I dont think my wife will let me drive all the way to Columbus (5 hours round trip + game time + "celebrating Duke's win" time), especially since she is not really a Duke (or college basketball) fan. The Q I could swing.

P.S. Does anybody know a good marriage counselor for husbands who's wives are not Duke (or college basketball) fans? :p

SCMatt33
05-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know if this game will actually be in Columbus or if it will be at the Q (where the Cavs play) in Cleveland? I'm hoping the latter because with a then 8 month old baby, I dont think my wife will let me drive all the way to Columbus (5 hours round trip + game time + "celebrating Duke's win" time), especially since she is not really a Duke (or college basketball) fan. The Q I could swing.

P.S. Does anybody know a good marriage counselor for husbands who's wives are not Duke (or college basketball) fans? :p

Sorry, but the game will be in Columbus. The challenge did away with semi-neutral sites 7 or 8 years ago. All games are at home sites now.

Indoor66
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Just dump the wife and start over. :cool:

HCheek37
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Duke will play Washington in MSG on December 10th according to a recent tweet by Sir Andy Katz.

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
Washington also goes to New York to play Duke on Dec. 10. That's quite a week for the Huskies. Marquette and Duke in MSG in a week.

HCheek37
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
November 15 - Duke vs Mich St - Madison Square Garden
November 21-23 Duke @ Maui Invitational (3 games)
November 29 - Duke @ Ohio St - Columbus
December 10 - Duke vs Washington - Madison Square Garden
January 4 - Duke @ Temple - Philly

What else do we have with definite dates?

AlaskanAssassin
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I must say, this upcoming season schedule is going to be one of the toughest ones in recent years. A lot of traveling miles with the summer trip as well. I hope these trips won't wear down our young team, but these games are going to be exciting!

SCMatt33
05-24-2011, 05:15 PM
November 15 - Duke vs Mich St - Madison Square Garden
November 21-23 Duke @ Maui Invitational (3 games)
November 29 - Duke @ Ohio St - Columbus
December 10 - Duke vs Washington - Madison Square Garden
January 4 - Duke @ Temple - Philly

What else do we have with definite dates?

That covers everything with a definitive date so far. That's 7 games away from Cameron right there and given how Duke has scheduled recently, I would expect that to be it. There are 8 other non-conference games. If all were at home, it would mean a total of 16 home games which seems about right. We know for sure that there will be a Maui home game between Nov. 11 and Nov.17.

The final 7 games will likely have 5 before conference play, with 2 games to fill in the ACC off days. Unless something drastic happens in cancelling the series, I would expect one of those two to be St. John's. I would guess that the other one will be a guarantee game with a mid-major from a high-level conference (A-10, C-USA, etc.). That leaves 5 before conference play. Those 5 will be some kind of mix of low and mid majors, trying to guess teams who will have a decent year for RPI.

tommy
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Duke will play Washington in MSG on December 10th according to a recent tweet by Sir Andy Katz.

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
Washington also goes to New York to play Duke on Dec. 10. That's quite a week for the Huskies. Marquette and Duke in MSG in a week.

Sounds good. I don't think we've played them since Detlef and Christian Welp came into Cameron in the mid-80s and left with an L.

Bob Green
05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Sounds good. I don't think we've played them since Detlef and Christian Welp came into Cameron in the mid-80s and left with an L.

Duke beat Washington 74-64 on 12/23/89:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19891223

davidson
05-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I would guess that the other one will be a guarantee game with a mid-major from a high-level conference (A-10, C-USA, etc.). That leaves 5 before conference play. Those 5 will be some kind of mix of low and mid majors, trying to guess teams who will have a decent year for RPI.

Davidson will play at Cameron next season, and gets a return game at Bobcats Arena the following year.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Davidson will play at Cameron next season, and gets a return game at Bobcats Arena the following year.

Really?
That is great - Duke has a long history with Davidson, going back at least to when I was at Duke (which was a long, long time ago) but I am very surprised we would play home and home rather than something like Cameron and Charlotte.

TZ

pfrduke
05-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Really?
That is great - Duke has a long history with Davidson, going back at least to when I was at Duke (which was a long, long time ago) but I am very surprised we would play home and home rather than something like Cameron and Charlotte.

TZ

Bobcats Arena is Charlotte, not the Davidson (Wildcats) stadium.

tommy
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Duke beat Washington 74-64 on 12/23/89:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19891223

You're right. There was that one. But I had in mind the Jan. 12, 1985 game in Cameron, which we won by 12. Johnny D. led us with 19 while Detlef led U-Dub with 15. I was there for that one. Boxscore is here (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19850112).

The teams also played in Hec Edmundson in January of 1989, in which the Devils, in Danny Ferry and Quin Snyder's senior year (hence the trip to Washington in the Mercer Islander's honor) blew out the Huskies by 26.

sagegrouse
05-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Really?

TZ

Bobcats Arena is not, strictly speaking, a home game for the Davidson Wildcats. Davidson did not play a single game at the Charlotte facility in 2011.

Davidson will wear HOME unis and have the choice of benches and locker rooms (Oooohhh!) It likely will have a HOME CROWD, unless the Blue Devil jump on tickets early. [Hint.]

Davidson will have HOME COOKING, in that the Bobcats Arena is only 22 miles (33 mins.) from campus, and don't have to make this a road trip. Duke's travel, while hardly daunting, is 141 miles and 2:30 hours.

But the Wildcast DO NOT have HOME COURT because of the unfamiliarity of the arena and rims. In fact, Duke played two more games there in 2011 than Davidson because of the NCAAs.

FWIW Davidson beat Duke back in December 1962 at Charlotte Coliseum, one of only two regular season losses for Duke's first Final Four team. Lefty was just getting started, and this was his signature win. Duke won the rematch a year later at Indoor Stadium, 82-75, en route to a second Final Four. But IIRC there was a lot of post-game bluster from Driesell about refs, crowds, whatever.

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
05-25-2011, 06:30 AM
You're right. There was that one. But I had in mind the Jan. 12, 1985 game in Cameron, which we won by 12. Johnny D. led us with 19 while Detlef led U-Dub with 15. I was there for that one.

Was that the famous Der-wulf game? ("Airball" in German)

HoyaEagle
05-25-2011, 07:39 AM

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Absolutely love this game. Wish we saw more of the Pac-10 (or 12?) teams play during the course of the year. Hopefully their new tv deal helps.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
FWIW Davidson beat Duke back in December 1962 at Charlotte Coliseum, one of only two regular season losses for Duke's first Final Four team. Lefty was just getting started, and this was his signature win. Duke won the rematch a year later at Indoor Stadium, 82-75, en route to a second Final Four. But IIRC there was a lot of post-game bluster from Driesell about refs, crowds, whatever.

sagegrouse

Just to embellish your point, sage ... that Davidson win in 1962 (it was actually Dec. 18, 1962 ... so it was part of the 1963 Final Four season) was memorable for a couple of reasons.

First, it was the second Duke-Davidson game that season. The two teams opened the season in Duke Indoor Stadium (not yet re-named Cameron) on Dec. 1, 1962. Duke won 76-68. When they met again 17 days later in Charlotte, Davidson won 72-69.

The star of that Davidson team was Fred Hetzel, a 6-8 All-American who wanted to play for Duke. But Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ... and Hetzel ripped Duke for 27 points and 17 rebounds in the game in Charlotte. Also starting for the 'Cats that night was Terry Holland, who didn't do much damage (5 points, 4 rebounds).

A year later, it was a huge came when No. 4 Davidson came to No. 5 Duke on Feb. 15. A newspaper article in a Charlotte paper ripped Duke center Jay Buckley, who was inspired to go match Hetzel in the middle. His play hlped Duke to an 82-75 vicory. As sage notes, afterwards, Lefty was particularly boorish -- he said Bubas was a coward for refusing to play at Davidson (the contract was home and home, but Davidson's "home" games were played in the Charlotte Coliseum). A lot of Duke people think Lefty blew his chance to succeed Bubas with his postgame tirade that night.

Duke and Davidson have a long, LONG history. Back in the Southern Conference days, they were big rivals. Indeed, most of the media in those days talked about the Big Five (not the Big Four) wih Davidson the fifth North Carolina member of the conference.

Most of the Duke AT Davidson games since 1960 have been played in the Charlotte Coliseum (either the old one on Independence Blvd. or the second one on Tyvola Road). But Duke did help Davidson break in its new on-campus facility with an 89-44 win there on Dec. 21, 1989.

Davidson handed Coach K one of his embarrassing early career losses with a 73-71 win in Cameron on Dec. 29, 1981. But since then, Duke has won 22 straight from the Wildcats.

Reilly
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
... Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ....

It wasn't "deceit" on Bradley's part, was it? I thought the story was something like pressure (or more) from his dad at the last minute. It's not like Dollar Bill knew all along he was bailing on Duke, was it?

tommy
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Was that the famous Der-wulf game? ("Airball" in German)

Now that I don't remember. Anyone else there for that one?

UrinalCake
05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Now that I don't remember. Anyone else there for that one?

I looked it up. The 1985 game was in fact the origin of the legendary German Airball chant:

"Six years later [in 1985], Washington All-American Detlef Schrempf was greeted as he attempted a free throw with "fehlwurf" - German for airball."
(link) (http://krzyzewskiville.tripod.com/id3.html)

"When Washington star Detlef Schrempf would shoot free throws in a 1985 game, he got a dose of "air ball" with a Duke twist. They gave it to him in his native tongue, German.

'Fehlwurf. Fehlwurf.'"

(link) (http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/28/news_pf/Sports/Cra_zy_fans_Cra_zy_fa.shtml)

Indoor66
05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Just to embellish your point, sage ... that Davidson win in 1962 (it was actually Dec. 18, 1962 ... so it was part of the 1963 Final Four season) was memorable for a couple of reasons.

First, it was the second Duke-Davidson game that season. The two teams opened the season in Duke Indoor Stadium (not yet re-named Cameron) on Dec. 1, 1962. Duke won 76-68. When they met again 17 days later in Charlotte, Davidson won 72-69.

The star of that Davidson team was Fred Hetzel, a 6-8 All-American who wanted to play for Duke. But Bubas had used his last scholarship that season for Bill Bradley, who didn't let Bubas know he was not coming until the first of September. Because of his deceit, Duke lost Hetzel to Davidson ... and Hetzel ripped Duke for 27 points and 17 rebounds in the game in Charlotte. Also starting for the 'Cats that night was Terry Holland, who didn't do much damage (5 points, 4 rebounds).

A year later, it was a huge came when No. 4 Davidson came to No. 5 Duke on Feb. 15. A newspaper article in a Charlotte paper ripped Duke center Jay Buckley, who was inspired to go match Hetzel in the middle. His play hlped Duke to an 82-75 vicory. As sage notes, afterwards, Lefty was particularly boorish -- he said Bubas was a coward for refusing to play at Davidson (the contract was home and home, but Davidson's "home" games were played in the Charlotte Coliseum). A lot of Duke people think Lefty blew his chance to succeed Bubas with his postgame tirade that night.

Duke and Davidson have a long, LONG history. Back in the Southern Conference days, they were big rivals. Indeed, most of the media in those days talked about the Big Five (not the Big Four) wih Davidson the fifth North Carolina member of the conference.

Most of the Duke AT Davidson games since 1960 have been played in the Charlotte Coliseum (either the old one on Independence Blvd. or the second one on Tyvola Road). But Duke did help Davidson break in its new on-campus facility with an 89-44 win there on Dec. 21, 1989.

Davidson handed Coach K one of his embarrassing early career losses with a 73-71 win in Cameron on Dec. 29, 1981. But since then, Duke has won 22 straight from the Wildcats.

As an aside on that story, I always heard that Vic Bubas steered Hetzel to Lefty and Davidson to be certain he did not show up at another ACC school. Hetzel was from the DC area and was well known to ACC coaches.

hurleyfor3
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I like Romar's program. Hope we play them more often, although I doubt we'll ever see the inside of Hec Ed. (But as basketball fans, all of you should. It's a great venue.)

Regarding the Davidson game, K often schedules games in arenas that are potential postseason sites, but that's not the case here. Charlotte isn't getting a pod; Greensboro is. (ATL, Phillips Arena rather than the Georgia Dome, has the ACC Tournament.)

No regional in Philly either, but there is one in Columbus. We'd probably have to be lower than a 4 seed to be sent anywhere other than GSO, however.

davidson
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
As sage notes, afterwards, Lefty was particularly boorish -- he said Bubas was a coward for refusing to play at Davidson (the contract was home and home, but Davidson's "home" games were played in the Charlotte Coliseum). A lot of Duke people think Lefty blew his chance to succeed Bubas with his postgame tirade.

In February, there was a reunion at Davidson for Lefty's Davidson teams - which included a wonderful tribute to the late, great Mike Maloy. Lefty was at the top of his story-telling form, and one of the many, many stories was his version of the "coward" tirade. As told by Lefty, what he said was planned ahead of time with Bubas. Bubas agreed to play in Charlotte, but only if Lefty would share half of the gate. Lefty said ok, but let's make sure we sell the place out. They decided that a little controversy in the form of a wrestling style promo would do the trick, and Lefty said what he did with Bubas in on the joke.

As an aside, listening to Lefty tell stories is one of the great experiences that any basketball fan can have. I've heard Lefty tell this particular story several times, and he does point out that at least Bubas wasn't afraid to play us - unlike Dean Smith.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2011, 08:40 PM
In February, there was a reunion at Davidson for Lefty's Davidson teams - which included a wonderful tribute to the late, great Mike Maloy. Lefty was at the top of his story-telling form, and one of the many, many stories was his version of the "coward" tirade. As told by Lefty, what he said was planned ahead of time with Bubas. Bubas agreed to play in Charlotte, but only if Lefty would share half of the gate. Lefty said ok, but let's make sure we sell the place out. They decided that a little controversy in the form of a wrestling style promo would do the trick, and Lefty said what he did with Bubas in on the joke.

As an aside, listening to Lefty tell stories is one of the great experiences that any basketball fan can have. I've heard Lefty tell this particular story several times, and he does point out that at least Bubas wasn't afraid to play us - unlike Dean Smith.

Interesting story, but I don't buy it. In the first place, I was around Duke at the time and I know there was real outrage after Driesell's tirade.

In the second place, after Lefty went off after the 1964 game, Duke and Davidson suspended the series for four years. They didn't play again until January 3, 1968.

If the temper tantrum was designed to drum up attendence in Charlotte, then why did they suspend the series for four years?

This sounds like revisionism to me -- kind of like frank McGuire's later claims that he opposed South Carolina leaving the ACC (a flat out lie) or the story that he later told that his celebrated feud with Everett Case was all a publicity stunt.

davidson
05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
If the temper tantrum was designed to drum up attendence in Charlotte, then why did they suspend the series for four years?

That was part of the story - but not a part to be shared on a message board. I wasn't there and don't know the truth, but as a Davidson (and, second, Duke) fan, I choose to believe the Sainted Lefthander. He's told that story for many years. Just threw it out for those who hadn't heard it before - please don't let the result be you comparing Lefty and McGuire.

Dev11
05-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Sorry, but the game will be in Columbus. The challenge did away with semi-neutral sites 7 or 8 years ago. All games are at home sites now.

Wasn't UNC-MSU a couple years ago at Ford Field, site of the Final Four, also part of the challenge? Might have just been a regular OOC for both squads to warm up in the Final Four site.

Saratoga2
05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I know there was talk of a summer or early fall trip to China but I don't see news about it on the Duke website. When are they going? It seems like an advantage and also a big recruiting plus to be able to play against good Chinese team(s).

Do the kids get allowed to practice early so they can compete on that trip. Anyone in the know, please comment.

sagegrouse
05-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I know there was talk of a summer or early fall trip to China but I don't see news about it on the Duke website. When are they going? It seems like an advantage and also a big recruiting plus to be able to play against good Chinese team(s).

Do the kids get allowed to practice early so they can compete on that trip. Anyone in the know, please comment.

Here's a link (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25344-Games-in-China-amp-Dubai&highlight=china+trip) to the China and Dubai trip thread on DBR. No dates to my surprise, but I thought it was in July.

sagegrouse

AlaskanAssassin
05-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Alex Murphy mentioned in his recent interview that it will occur sometime early August, but no exact date.

Olympic Fan
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Don't know thje exact dates, but I know Duke IS going to China this summer and that all the freshmen will be allowed to practice/play with the team.

That's the result of a rule change that was occassioned by Duke's controversial trip to London in the fall of 2002. At the time, schools were allowed to make one foreign trip every four years and teams would usually go during the summer ... only the NCAA didn't allow incoming players to participate.

K scheduled the London trip for fall break, which allowed freshmen JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, Shav Randolph, Lee Melchionni, Sean Dockery and Michael Thompson -- who were going to be a huge part of the 2002-03 team -- to go along.

Other coaches screamed bloody murder, but it was within the rules ... K had found a loophole and he exploited it. Essentially, the NCAA response was to change the foreign rule to allow incoming recruits to participate ... as long as they are enrolled in summer school. UNC took advantage of this rule last August when they went to the Bahamas.

Rivers, Cook, Gbinge, Murphy and Plumlee3 will all get to practice and play with the team. The trip is particularly well-timed because several of those guys (especially Rivers) will be key players this season. I've heard that the staff will use the trip to decide whether or not Plumlee3 should be redshirted or not.

Duvall
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Trip (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205102962&SPID=1845&SPSID=22724).

The team will depart August 14 and tip off August 17 in Kunshan, China, a suburb of Shanghai and the location of a new Duke-affiliated campus expected to open in 2012. On August 19 the team will play in Shanghai’s Mercedes-Benz Arena, former home of the Shanghai World Expo Culture Center.

On August 22, the team will play its third game in China, in Beijing’s MasterCard Center, where Duke Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski led Team USA to a gold medal during the 2008 Olympics. Team USA’s performance in Beijing introduced many Chinese basketball fans to Krzyzewski, the legendary coach known to Duke fans and players as “Coach K.”

On August 26 the team will end its tour with a game in Dubai, one of the cities in which Duke’s Fuqua School of Business has established a significant presence.

gumbomoop
05-28-2011, 12:40 AM

From the "Blue Devils go camping thread," Newton_14 makes the following very important points. IMO, the word "huge" is accurate.

.... the China/Dubai trip is huge. Especially for this team being how young it is, and with losing the top 3 players from last year. 10 full, regular practices prior to the trip, then unlimited practices to go along with the games during the trip will greatly help this team. Just what the doctor ordered.

Come October, the guys will be far ahead of where they would have been without the trip. Should greatly help the Freshman as well.

In the narrow sense, then, this trip should provide real advantages as the new-look Devils get to know each other on the court. In the larger sense, the experience of traveling to China and Dubai is a priceless cultural and educational opportunity for these young men. Also huge, especially if they're paying attention.

gumbomoop
05-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Strange that there's been no announcement re 3-year renewal of the unbalanced mess ACC 16-game schedule rotation. Which makes me speculate [absolute thread relevance] that maybe they're going to 18 games. Don't know whether an 18-gamer would be less messy [not to be confused with Leo Messi, whom you could watch this aft in the UEFA Champions League final on Fox], but it would still be unbalanced.

I'm getting suspicious, no matter what happens.

gumbomoop
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
If the following is old news, I apologize in advance. For me, anyway, it's new news, and thus news.

The front page links a story re K on the coming season, in which story the following appears: "....school and conference officials discussed in April the idea of increasing the conference schedule from 16 to 18 games beginning in 2013-14."

This would seem to imply that (a) maybe, maybe not, a change will occur in 2013-14, but (b) for the next 2 seasons - 2011-12 and 2012-13 - the ACC will stick with a 16-game ACC schedule. I'll wait for confirmation - anybody? - both of the continuation of the 16-gamer and - I'm still assuming for now - the return to the previous 3-year cycle - and thus the 2011-12 unbalanced mess replicating the 2008-09 mess - before updating my earlier post re what I perceive to be Duke's and UNC's relative-difficulty-of-schedules.

Still puzzling to my suspicious mind why, if this discussion occurred in April, and if the ACC bigwigs also met in Fla in May, there's still been no announcement of what's up for 2011-12. Anybody know what's up?

Fair warning: should I ever discover that one of you knows what's up, but refuses to say, well, I'm writing you out of my will. Could be a bundle; you want to risk it? Fair warning.

UrinalCake
06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
What would be the point of going to 18 games? In order to have a truly balanced schedule you'd need 22 games. So it's still unbalanced; does the ACC think it would be better to be "less unbalanced"?

If we're not going to 22 games, then I'd rather keep it how it is. Playing teams out of conference gives you more opportunity to improve in preparation for the tournament, which is the ultimate goal.

Also, does the Maui tournament contain the first games of the season? I'm wondering K will most likely break the all-time wins record. Would be a shame if it wasn't in Cameron.

pfrduke
06-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Also, does the Maui tournament contain the first games of the season? I'm wondering K will most likely break the all-time wins record. Would be a shame if it wasn't in Cameron.

I discussed this in some detail upthread, but for the sake of recounting:

K has 900 wins. We know that we will play at least 2 pre-Maui games. The first is the Champions Classic game against Michigan State, which will not be in Cameron, but in MSG. That game is 11/15. Second, the Maui invitational has had a bit of a weird format expansion, in that it's adding a bunch of teams who are just "mainland" teams who will play the 7 Maui-bound teams in the latters' home arenas before they depart for the island. So we will host a Maui invitational "mainland" game against an opponent to be determined prior to leaving for the island. Those games must occur between 11/11 and 11/17; my guess is Duke will play its game in the 11/11-11/13 time frame (although it could be the 17th). The games in Maui start 11/21.

In order to hit 903 in Cameron, we would need to schedule one other pre-Maui game and beat MSU (or two other pre-Maui games, but I think that's not likely). Thus, there's a very real possibility that the record will be broken in a tiny little gym in Lahaina.

UrinalCake
06-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I discussed this in some detail upthread, but for the sake of recounting:

Thanks for the explanation, and sorry for the repeat question. If my math is correct, another possibility is that we lose to MSU, win our other mainland game, then only win one game in Maui and lose in the finals (maybe to Kansas, which wouldn't exactly be a monumental upset). Then the record would be broken in our next game back, which would probably be at home though I'm not completely sure. Let's hope this doesn't happen, as a 2-2 start would be pretty disappointing.

Duvall
06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the explanation, and sorry for the repeat question. If my math is correct, another possibility is that we lose to MSU, win our other mainland game, then only win one game in Maui and lose in the finals (maybe to Kansas, which wouldn't exactly be a monumental upset). Then the record would be broken in our next game back, which would probably be at home though I'm not completely sure. Let's hope this doesn't happen, as a 2-2 start would be pretty disappointing.

Duke will play three games in Maui, Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, regardless of result.

gumbomoop
06-15-2011, 11:40 PM
The 2011 D II champ, Bellarmine U, will visit CIS for exhibition game late Oct. Beginning of a tradition, as this is second straight year that Duke will host D II champ?

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/32002/bellarmines-exhibition-schedule-is-tough

Bob Green
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Temple announced their schedule today and it includes Duke on January 4, 2012 at the Wells Fargo Center:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/temple/20110707_Temple_has_tough_nonconference_hoops_slat e.html

The Owls return four of five starters with Lavoy Allen gone to the NBA. Allen recorded a 17 point, 13 rebound double-double against Duke on February 23, 2011.

HCheek37
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Has anyone heard about any more games? Do we know the ACC rotation yet?

Schedule is usually released in August sometime, correct?

pfrduke
07-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Schedule is usually released in August sometime, correct?

Schedule day has traditionally been the third Friday in August, although that has slipped in recent years - last year it pushed into September before the schedule was formally announced (I think because of TV issues).

Newton_14
07-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Schedule day has traditionally been the third Friday in August, although that has slipped in recent years - last year it pushed into September before the schedule was formally announced (I think because of TV issues).

Indeed it did slip due to Lebron "taking his talents to Miami" and causing the Mothership and other networks to scramble on the NBA TV schedule which impacted the College TV schedule. This year it should come out on time which is normally 2nd week in Aug if memory serves.

duke2x
07-27-2011, 11:18 PM

GT has officially announced the same home ACC schedule as the 1st year of the 3 year rotation. Thus, I assume we would play UNC, MD, VT, FSU, and WF twice, UVA, Miami, and State at home only, and BC, GT, and Clemson on the road only.

The Iron Duke ticket brochure, which should be mailed in the next week, usually has an unofficial schedule. The Sat-Sun or Tu-W-Th designations will be missing for Jan-Feb games, but it has otherwise been correct the past few years. I will post anything I find in there unless someone (hopefully) beats me to it.

gumbomoop
07-28-2011, 07:09 AM
GT has officially announced the same home ACC schedule as the 1st year of the 3 year rotation. Thus, I assume we would play UNC, MD, VT, FSU, and WF twice, UVA, Miami, and State at home only, and BC, GT, and Clemson on the road only.

My genuine thanks for this info, as I have been wondering all summer whether the ACC would simply revive the 3-year rotation, given speculation re possibly moving to an 18-game [still unbalanced] schedule beginning in 2013-'14.

Here's the link to the 3-year rotation: http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hot...el-three-years

Here's my translation of the rotation, plus some focus on Duke and UNC.

'05-'06 = '08-'09 = '11-'12 [per duke2x's news in above tag quote]
'06-'07 = '09-'10
'07-'08 = '10-'11

Duke in '11-'12

UNC in '11-'12

Paranoid that I am, I see, for the first time in human history, more advantages than disadvantages, vis-a-vis UNC. Now, one's views of advantage/disadvantage will depend substantially on one's "predictions" about who'll be strong, who weak next season, so.....

(a.) Duke has Miami only H, while UNC has both H/A. I had Miami as #3 next year, so I thought this might be a + for Duke. But with Reggie's injury, and depending on when exactly he's back for which games v. Duke and UNC, this might turn into a + for UNC.
(b.) I wonder whether NCS will be significantly improved; if so, again, we get them only H, while UNC gets their "permanent partner" both H/A. Maybe a + for Duke.
(c.) I'm guessing UVa will definitely be better next year; thus, probably a + for Duke.
(d.) Once every 3 years, both Duke and UNC play Md H/A. So if one thinks Md gets up for UNC almost as much as for Duke, then at least next season it's "balanced" on this point. Both Duke and UNC should win 2 v. the Terps next year.
(e.) Now Duke does have to play FSU twice, but at least UNC gets them A rather than H. Ditto for VaT: Duke plays them twice, but at least UNC gets them A.
(f.) Duke gets Wake twice, UNC only once, A. That seems a + for Duke.
(g.) Clemson - definite + for UNC
(h.) UNC gets likely bottom feeders BC and GT at H only, surely 2 easy wins, a + for UNC. Still, though Duke gets neither of these presumably weak teams at home, if the Devils can't beat a frosh-dominated BC and a no-depth-whatsoever GT on the road, then the Devils cannot challenge UNC for reg season #1.

I assume others will disagree with some of my judgments above, simply because others may not share my take on who's good, who's not, in '11-'12.

Why agonize over all this? Well, it's summer. But more important, the unbalanced mess counts, almost surely advantaging some teams, disadvantaging others, just given the luck of the draw in any particular year. While UNC should rightly be thought the favorite to win the ACC reg season, Duke should rightly be thought a - and the only - legitimate challenger to the Heels. [FSU? Ok, long shot to challenge Duke for #2, so I'll have to look later at their schedule to see if they catch enough breaks.....] Could UNC lose at Cameron and somewhere else on the road. I hope so. Could Duke get to 13-3, or even 14-2, given a weak bottom half of the ACC, and a "favorable" unbalanced mess? Hope so.

gumbomoop
07-28-2011, 07:22 AM
The link in my post ^ is wrong, for reasons that baffle me. Anyhow, I can't edit, so here's the correct link, I hope:

http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/model-three-years

-jk
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
The link in my post ^ is wrong, for reasons that baffle me. Anyhow, I can't edit, so here's the correct link, I hope:

http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/model-three-years

I posted earlier: Some of you have noticed an error when trying to edit a post. This is a problem introduced with the new patch. We're working on fixing it, but it's eluding us so far.

If you need to edit a post, you can change your view to the Mobile style (at the very bottom of the page), edit your post, then change back to the Blue style.

Sorry and thanks for your patience.

-jk

Olympic Fan
07-28-2011, 11:33 AM
My genuine thanks for this info, as I have been wondering all summer whether the ACC would simply revive the 3-year rotation, given speculation re possibly moving to an 18-game [still unbalanced] schedule beginning in 2013-'14.

Here's the link to the 3-year rotation: http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hot...el-three-years

Here's my translation of the rotation, plus some focus on Duke and UNC.

'05-'06 = '08-'09 = '11-'12 [per duke2x's news in above tag quote]
'06-'07 = '09-'10
'07-'08 = '10-'11

Duke in '11-'12

UNC in '11-'12

Paranoid that I am, I see, for the first time in human history, more advantages than disadvantages, vis-a-vis UNC. Now, one's views of advantage/disadvantage will depend substantially on one's "predictions" about who'll be strong, who weak next season, so.....

(a.) Duke has Miami only H, while UNC has both H/A. I had Miami as #3 next year, so I thought this might be a + for Duke. But with Reggie's injury, and depending on when exactly he's back for which games v. Duke and UNC, this might turn into a + for UNC.
(c.) I'm guessing UVa will definitely be better next year; thus, probably a + for Duke.
(d.) Once every 3 years, both Duke and UNC play Md H/A. So if one thinks Md gets up for UNC almost as much as for Duke, then at least next season it's "balanced" on this point. Both Duke and UNC should win 2 v. the Terps next year.
(f.) Duke gets Wake twice, UNC only once, A. That seems a + for Duke.
(g.) Clemson - definite + for UNC
(h.) UNC gets likely bottom feeders BC and GT at H only, surely 2 easy wins, a + for UNC. Still, though Duke gets neither of these presumably weak teams at home, if the Devils can't beat a frosh-dominated BC and a no-depth-whatsoever GT on the road, then the Devils cannot challenge UNC for reg season #1.

I assume others will disagree with some of my judgments above, simply because others may not share my take on who's good, who's not, in '11-'12.

Why agonize over all this? Well, it's summer. But more important, the unbalanced mess counts, almost surely advantaging some teams, disadvantaging others, just given the luck of the draw in any particular year. While UNC should rightly be thought the favorite to win the ACC reg season, Duke should rightly be thought a - and the only - legitimate challenger to the Heels. [FSU? Ok, long shot to challenge Duke for #2, so I'll have to look later at their schedule to see if they catch enough breaks.....] Could UNC lose at Cameron and somewhere else on the road. I hope so. Could Duke get to 13-3, or even 14-2, given a weak bottom half of the ACC, and a "favorable" unbalanced mess? Hope so.

Good evaluation. I take issue with your call of Miami at No. 3 ... I definitely believe FSU is the strongest challenger to Duke-UNC. I don't understand the skepticism -- Hamilton has established a very high level of achievement in recent years. Yeah, they lost Chris Singleton, but he was hurt late last year and they made their Sweet 16 run last year with minimal contribution from him (he played 120 minutes and was scoreless in the second-round win over Notre Dame). Hamilton returns as many talented big men as Duke or UNC. He's got a bunch of young shooters (Miller is better than he was in an injury plagued freshman season) and he just picked up a veteran point guard. I see FSU as a bigger challenger to Duke for No. 2 than Miami for No. 3.

Realistically, I see five possible losses -- I think UNC is the only team that we have to worry about in Camerson ... away, I will worry about trips to UNC, FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech (they are going to be thougher than people expect). Maybe Maryland, just because of tradition (and a good coach), although I don't think they have the horses.

Obviously, I'm expecting Duke to be very good. Injuries or disappointments could change that, but I really think 11-5 is the BOTTOM expectation I have ... I really think Duke won't lose all of them.

gumbomoop
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I take issue with your call of Miami at No. 3 ... I definitely believe FSU is the strongest challenger to Duke-UNC.... I see FSU as a bigger challenger to Duke for No. 2 than Miami for No. 3.

Realistically, I see five possible losses -- I think UNC is the only team that we have to worry about in Camerson ... away, I will worry about trips to UNC, FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech (they are going to be thougher than people expect). Maybe Maryland, just because of tradition (and a good coach), although I don't think they have the horses.

Obviously, I'm expecting Duke to be very good. Injuries or disappointments could change that, but I really think 11-5 is the BOTTOM expectation I have ... I really think Duke won't lose all of them.

I mostly, probably entirely, agree with you, and welcome the conversation, partly so I can clarify a couple of points.

On Miami, I wasn't clear enough that I had them at #3, before Reggie's bad injury. From your praise of FSU, I might surmise a minor disagreement, in that you might put FSU ahead of Miami preseason even if Reggie hadn't been hurt. Then later in the post I commented that FSU might be Duke's only challenger for #2. What I meant to say by that was that (a) FSU, not Miami was "now" my pick for #3, and (b) I still thought Duke was the obviously logical preseason #2. As to where I'd put Miami now, preseason, I'm stuimped, knowing neither when Reggie will be back, nor in what "shape." You know, I think I might nudge UVA up to preseason #4. Just for kicks.

On Duke, I agree with you that "11-5 is the BOTTOM expectation" anyone should possibly have, but the more important agreement is with your real expectation, that "Duke won't lose" 5 ACC games.

Which leads to - a la "Jderf's law" - Carolina. I would guess that, maybe 2 months ago, the vague consensus on the EK forum was that UNC was so absolutely loaded that Duke had no chance next year v. the Heels, would have to fight to get #2 by end of ACC season, and would be anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4, no better. But during July, rumors fly, the frosh seem to bring talents previously underappreciated/unrecognized, Murphy & Gbinije emerge, Seth and Andre can't miss, AR is gonna break Dexter's and Reggie's ankles on the same play [goes viral on YouTube], K-swoon resurfaces, China beckons. Now, I sense lots of optimism - so much that somebody's gonna blast you for "predicting Duke will be 11-5," despite the all-caps "BOTTOM."

Implicit in my post - and which hereby I make more explicit - is my reasonable optimism that Duke [and only Duke, not FSU] might challenge for #1, maybe a tie at 14-2. This is based on the optimistic, but not crazy, prediction that we split H/A with the Heels, that Duke gets a slight unbalanced schedule advantage [explained in my above post], and that therefore Carolina loses a close one on the road [UVa, FSU, Miami, VT - just one of 'em, though 2 would be lovely], and that Duke loses only one of its other tough road tests [FSU, VT, Clemson].

Optimistic? Yes. Crazy? Well, as General Buck Turgidson replied to President Merkin Muffley, who suggested that General Jack D. Ripper, having initiated a nuclear crisis, was nuts, "Well, Mr. President, I think we should get all the facts before jumping to any conclusions."

Olympic Fan
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I mostly, probably entirely, agree with you, and welcome the conversation, partly so I can clarify a couple of points.

On Miami, I wasn't clear enough that I had them at #3, before Reggie's bad injury. From your praise of FSU, I might surmise a minor disagreement, in that you might put FSU ahead of Miami preseason even if Reggie hadn't been hurt. Then later in the post I commented that FSU might be Duke's only challenger for #2. What I meant to say by that was that (a) FSU, not Miami was "now" my pick for #3, and (b) I still thought Duke was the obviously logical preseason #2. As to where I'd put Miami now, preseason, I'm stuimped, knowing neither when Reggie will be back, nor in what "shape." You know, I think I might nudge UVA up to preseason #4.

Not to turn this into a debate about the preseason ACC rankings, but (1) even before the Reggie Johnson injury, I can't see ranking a team that has never accomplished anything ahead of a program that has established a consistent level of performance (albiet Miami now has a quality coach) and (2) I don't see changing the evaluation of Miami all that much due to the Reggie Johnson injury. Yeah, it was a blow, but the presence of Florida transfer 6-11 redshirt sophomore Kenny Kadji, who sat out last season, lessens the impact. A well-informed ACC official told me recently that Kadji was kicking Johnson's butt in practice all last year. We've heard that before (remember the whispers that Seth Curry was the best guard in Duke's 2010 practices), but it's clear that Kadji will have an impact. And even the worst-case scenario on Johnson has him returning by January (although what shape he'll be in, who knows).

As for Virginia, I do think they are a lot better ... but I think the lack of a real point guard will limit their climb this season.

PS If we play at Georgia Tech, that means we'll get them in Phillips Arena ... might be a lot of Duke people in that crowd.

Faustus
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Miami does have a big upgrade in the coaching dept. next year. We'll have to see if this shows up in the win-loss column. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but Larranaga is a good coach.

gumbomoop
07-28-2011, 07:49 PM
This doesn't deserve a new thread, but interesting comment from today's Andy Katz blog:

"New Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said he has reviewed his team enough to know that scoring up front will be a challenge. He said he'll likely go with four guards on the court on a consistent basis."

gumbomoop
07-29-2011, 01:26 AM
ACC has released something called the 2011-12 ACC Basketball Prospectus. Lots [a whole lots] of names and stats and preview material for upcoming season, plus full review of 2010-11 season. Worth browsing for handy one-stop info on all 12 teams. Several of our conference foes are woefully thin, depth-wise. Honestly, Duke and UNC in particular should win some blowouts.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/prospectus/prospectus.pdf

NSDukeFan
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Good evaluation. I take issue with your call of Miami at No. 3 ... I definitely believe FSU is the strongest challenger to Duke-UNC. I don't understand the skepticism -- Hamilton has established a very high level of achievement in recent years. Yeah, they lost Chris Singleton, but he was hurt late last year and they made their Sweet 16 run last year with minimal contribution from him (he played 120 minutes and was scoreless in the second-round win over Notre Dame). Hamilton returns as many talented big men as Duke or UNC. He's got a bunch of young shooters (Miller is better than he was in an injury plagued freshman season) and he just picked up a veteran point guard. I see FSU as a bigger challenger to Duke for No. 2 than Miami for No. 3.

I agree with most of what you are saying here, but have a quibble with the bolded part. Duke has had another great run at home, especially with the last two undefeated teams. This year's team does not have the senior leadership of the last two squads and will depend on some players who have not had to carry a team at this level before. I expect this team to have a great season, but I will certainly be worried about some other games at Cameron with this younger squad. FSU, VT (if you think they will be better than I thought), Virginia (Mike Scott may be first team all-ACC this year), Miami (especially if big Reggie is back healthy when the teams meet) and maybe even NC State (depending on the improvement of Leslie and Brown) could all give Duke a good test at home. I would expect 7-1 is a reasonable prediction for Duke at home in conference this year, but that is by no means a guarantee. Of course, I am hoping for 8-0 and am hoping that after China/Dubai, the preseason and pre-conference schedule, the players Duke depends on will be experienced and dependable for an exciting conference run.

Bluedog
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
According to Gary Parrish:

Want the Maui matchups? Here you go (from a source): Memphis-Michigan, Duke-Tennessee, UCLA-Chaminade, Kansas-Georgetown.

ESPN is gunning for a Duke-UCLA or Duke-Kansas final. That's my guess.

http://twitter.com/#!/garyparrishcbs

uh_no
08-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Duke against a coachless Tennessee team?

Personally, I think we'll barbeque 'em.

johnb
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Maui Invitational brackets out in Sporting News. Duke has a rough road to a championship:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-08-04/duke-to-face-elite-competition-in-maui

uh_no
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Maui Invitational brackets out in Sporting News. Duke has a rough road to a championship:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-08-04/duke-to-face-elite-competition-in-maui

I mean, every road is pretty rough in an 8 team tournament with 7 top teams and a patsie....

Olympic Fan
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Okay, for those that don't want to click on links ... Duke opens against Belmont (remember that first-round NCAA game in 2008?) in Cameron onm Nov. 11. That's the night before the football team plays at Virginia. It's a change in the Maui rules that the seven "Mainland" teams play a first-round game at home before flying to the islands. Duke will still get three games in Maui, even if Belmont does pull the upset on Duke's home flloor.

The first game in Maui will be Tennessee at 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Nov. 21 (the Monday before the UNC game). After that, it depends on which bracket Duke is is, but assuming a win over the Vols, Duke would get the Memphis-Michigan winner at 7 pm (Eastern Time) on Nov. 22. Kansas and UCLA are the two strongest teams in the other bracket ... Duke probably gets one of them on the 23rd -- at 7:30 p.m. (Eastern) if it'sn the third-place game ... at 10 p.m. Eastern if it's the championship game.

Every game will be on ESPN or ESPN2. The Duke-Tennessee game is on the deuce, but if the Devils win that one, their last two games will be on ESPN.

I'm thinking the Belmont game is the opener, so that should be win No. 901. I'm told that Duke will play FOUR games before going to Maui, so K will get the record on the Mainland.

duke2x
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
The real ticket brochure is here:

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/778352.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=5100&KEY=SDYNSJBLADYMUGB.20110804175516

11/11 Belmont
11/12 Presbyterian
11/15 v. MSU (MSG)
11/18 Davidson
11/21 Maui v. TN
11/22 Maui v. TBD
11/23 Maui v. TBD
11/29 @OSU
12/3 TBD
12/7 Colorado State
12/10 v. Washington (MSG)
12/19 UNC-G
12/30 W. Michigan
1/4 @Temple

ACC Games "TBD"-- This is the probable order of ACC games. Start with the UNC on a weekend and work backward.
@GT
UVA
@Clemson
Wake
FSU
@MD
St. John's
@VT
Miami
@UNC
MD
NCSU
@BC
@FSU
VT
@Wake
UNC

Duvall
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking the Belmont game is the opener, so that should be win No. 901. I'm told that Duke will play FOUR games before going to Maui, so K will get the record on the Mainland.

Four games between Nov. 11 and Nov. 21, with a road trip to MSG on Nov. 15? Going to be a tight fit. And seven games in the books before Thanksgiving?

Olympic Fan
08-05-2011, 12:45 AM
So Duke opens with two virtual gimmies -- Belmont and Presbyterian at home.

That ties Knight at 902.

K will have his first chance to break the record against Michigan State in MSG. That's no gimmie ... if Duke loses that, he gets the record at home against Davidson before jetting off the Maui.

Duvall
08-05-2011, 01:16 AM
So Duke opens with two virtual gimmies -- Belmont and Presbyterian at home.

That ties Knight at 902.

K will have his first chance to break the record against Michigan State in MSG. That's no gimmie ... if Duke loses that, he gets the record at home against Davidson before jetting off the Maui.

I certainly would not describe Belmont as a gimmie of any kind - they were definitely better than MSU last season and bring back more talent.

Olympic Fan
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I certainly would not describe Belmont as a gimmie of any kind - they were definitely better than MSU last season and bring back more talent.

Fair enough ... gimmie is certainly a bit strong for a team that finished 30-5 and made the NCAA Tournament -- and does, as Duval indicated -- return most of its top players.

And I can see where you might argue that they were better than Michigan State last season -- they were ranked higher by Pomeroy and Sagarin, although the RPI had MSU higher.

Still, I think that is a bit of an illusion, created by Belmont's overpowering record against one of the nation's weakest schedules. As near as I can tell, their best win last year was Miami of Ohio ... maybe East Tennessee State. They were 0-4 against BCS schools and they didn't beat a single team in Pomeroy's top 100. They've actually lost eight straight games to BCS opponents over the last three seasons. The last BCS team they beat was Alabama early in the 2007-08 season (the same year they took Duke to the wire in the NCAA first round).

So while gimmie is probably a misnomer, it's a game Duke should win -- especially in Cameron.

That said, Belmont is a great opponent for RPI purposes and a perfect example of how ACC coaches shoul set up their schedules. Assuming everybody back that should be back, they should dominate the Atlantic Sun Conference (this is their last year there before joining the OVC) and compile a gaudy record. They should finish in the 40-60 range of the RPI, which in turn, will help Duke's RPI.

When I look at all the teams playing only in the preliminary round of the Maui Classic, Belmont is by far the best bet -- if we had drawn UNC Greensboro, it would have been a gimmie, but it would have been a drag on the team's RPI all season.

All in all, I can't imagive the schedule for the Maui Tournament working out better: a good RPI opener at home ... no Chaminade ... and almost certainly three big-name BCS opponents (well, maybe Memphis in the second round, but they are going to be preseason top 20, so that's just as good).

PumpkinFunk
08-19-2011, 04:28 PM
The Daily Pennsylvanian is reporting that UPenn will be coming to Cameron on January 1.

https://twitter.com/#!/DailyPennSports/status/104648416046481408

Multiple sources have confirmed Penn Men's Hoops will play at Duke on January 1. Very tough non-conf schedule for @PennBasketball

pfrduke
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I note with much lamentation that, for yet another year, schedule day has no longer been the third Friday in August. What used to be a reliable deadline is now apparently a thing of the past.

gumbomoop
08-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I note with much lamentation that, for yet another year, schedule day has no longer been the third Friday in August. What used to be a reliable deadline is now apparently a thing of the past.

In the interim, we can profitably look back at duke2x's post #98 in this thread. Might we substitute Penn on 1/1 for the 12/3 TBD, and maybe have the actual pre-ACC schedule [dates], and at least the order of the ACC schedule?

Krzyzewskiville
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Anybody know if duke st.johns at the garden again, or at temple? From NY and wont only close games are feasible.

gumbomoop
08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Anybody know if duke st.johns at the garden again, or at temple? From NY and wont only close games are feasible.

Per duke2x's post #98, St.J is in CIS; Temple is in Philly.

obsesseddukefan
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Just chiming in to see if there is an update on the schedule for this year yet? I know the banter on this is that it usually comes out the 3rd week in August but we are coming up on the 4th week...

Sorry if this is redundant, just want to plan my vacation accordingly, and to say that I am trying to rush the start of the season due to the China/Dubai games is an understatement :)

Hope all is well with everyone.

Tripping William
08-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Just chiming in to see if there is an update on the schedule for this year yet? I know the banter on this is that it usually comes out the 3rd week in August but we are coming up on the 4th week...

Sorry if this is redundant, just want to plan my vacation accordingly, and to say that I am trying to rush the start of the season due to the China/Dubai games is an understatement :)

Hope all is well with everyone.

Hello. Very, very long-time lurker, but first-time poster here. I just wanted to chime in that I saw a newsfeed post on Facebook from the "Duke Men's Basketball" page saying the schedule would be released today. Hopefully so. Looking forward to an exciting season with this new squad. Thanks.

ACCBBallFan
08-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Should be later today

@CoachTurgeon: Our schedule will be released this afternoon. Lots of good teams in non-conf and obviously a great ACC slate.

ajcgatech ajcgatech
#gatech men's basketball schedule to be released at 3:30.

obsesseddukefan
08-24-2011, 03:25 PM
That is great news. obviously we will have the usual ACC slate but I am really curious about our non-conference schedule...call me crazy but I look forward to those matchups more than the ACC schedule.