PDA

View Full Version : Potential violations at Kentucky?

UrinalCake
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Two situations to keep an eye on at Kentucky. First, rapper Jay-Z visited their locker room after their victory in the Elite 8. Since he's a part-owner of an NBA team, this contact could be considered a violation. Here's a link (http://sportifi.com/news/Kentucky-Basketball-Will-NBA-Punish-JayZ-for-Kentucky-Locker-Room-Appearance-1014168.html), though it describes the visit as occurring after Kentucky's victory over UCONN, which I assume to be an error (they beat Ohio State in the Elite 8).

In other news, word has surfaced that despite being ruled ineligible twice for playing professionally overseas, Enes Kanter has been practicing with the team. (http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/30/1689282/catscreditkanter-factor.html) Their justification is that he is considered a student manager. Sounds a little fishy, but I would think they would have gotten approval before doing this.

These could both be no big deal, or a case of opposing fans trying to smear Calipari based on his history. But we'll see...

uh_no
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Two situations to keep an eye on at Kentucky. First, rapper Jay-Z visited their locker room after their victory in the Elite 8. Since he's a part-owner of an NBA team, this contact could be considered a violation. Here's a link (http://sportifi.com/news/Kentucky-Basketball-Will-NBA-Punish-JayZ-for-Kentucky-Locker-Room-Appearance-1014168.html), though it describes the visit as occurring after Kentucky's victory over UCONN, which I assume to be an error (they beat Ohio State in the Elite 8).

In other news, word has surfaced that despite being ruled ineligible twice for playing professionally overseas, Enes Kanter has been practicing with the team. (http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/30/1689282/catscreditkanter-factor.html) Their justification is that he is considered a student manager. Sounds a little fishy, but I would think they would have gotten approval before doing this.

These could both be no big deal, or a case of opposing fans trying to smear Calipari based on his history. But we'll see...

I doubt either of those would be violations worthy of vacating wins, and I'm not sure Jay Z visitng the locker room is a violation at all (MJ visited the tar heels, and duke players visit duke all the time) so long as there are no improper benefits given.

The second, I believe, IS in fact a violation. I believe that all practice players use eligibility just like scholarship guys, in fact there was an issue on the rutgers women's team when someone (it might have been coach stringer) practiced with the team and was suspended because she wasn't an eligible player. I think these all fit on the 'smear' side of the spectrum

UrinalCake
04-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree that the second situation seems like a bigger deal, but the first one seems to be receiving more attention and is actually being "looked into" by the NCAA. I recall a couple years ago the UNC team practiced with Obama with Roy Williams in attendance, during a time period in which practices were prohibited. Nothing really came out of it, which I think is fine since it's not like they received some unfair benefit from it. But having a guy who has been deemed a professional practice with your team seems like a clear violation.

unexpected
04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
The first one is being looked into by the NBA, not the NCAA, as far as I know.

PADukeMom
04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Color me shocked....NOT! Gee who wouldn't have predicted Cal & infractions....yet another Final 4 removed from record.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Color me shocked....NOT! Gee who wouldn't have predicted Cal & infractions....yet another Final 4 removed from record.

Highly unlikely that any of this leads to vacations....perhaps a suspension....this stuff is more along the line of last year when nolan had to sit out two games because he played in an unsanctioned event over the summer...

PADukeMom
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
The best analogy I can make in discussing Cal it is like peeling back the layers of an onion. There is something new with each layer.
It's Kentucky...right now...don't care. Last week is still too fresh.

Reddevil
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
If you're Mike Rowe, which Cal do you sit with this Saturday?

Indoor66
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Must be time to whack on Cleveland State again.

Turtleboy
04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
The second, I believe, IS in fact a violation. I believe that all practice players use eligibility just like scholarship guys, in fact there was an issue on the rutgers women's team when someone (it might have been coach stringer) practiced with the team and was suspended because she wasn't an eligible player. I think these all fit on the 'smear' side of the spectrumDoesn't the Duke women's team practice with male players? And haven't coaches in the past played in practices when enough players weren't available? It hardly seems likely that, for example, Wojo would be breaking any rules if he ran point for a few plays.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Doesn't the Duke women's team practice with male players? And haven't coaches in the past played in practices when enough players weren't available? It hardly seems likely that, for example, Wojo would be breaking any rules if he ran point for a few plays.

Yes. Most womens teams use mens players. There is a rule regarding eligibility of practice players, I just don't remember it specifically

loran16
04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
The first one is being looked into by the NBA, not the NCAA, as far as I know.

This is correct. There's no NCAA violation here - but there's technicall an NBA one since Jay-Z is a part owner of NJ. But that has no bearing on Kentucky.

Billy Dat
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't know how often this stuff bubbles up, but word is that Cal wants back in the NBA BADLY. That would be a great finger in the eye to Kentucky.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/02/2011-04-02_amare_stoudemires_feelings_must_be_mended_as_ca rmelo_anthony_takes_over_as_knick.html?page=1
"John Calipari coming back to the NBA to coach? Perhaps. Calipari recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business, as usual, as Kentucky's basketball coach, he "wants back in," according to a source. Calipari has never gotten over how he was fired by the Nets 20 games into the 1999 lockout season. He was dismissed by one of the owners, Lewis Katz, only a couple of hours after a loss in Miami that dropped the Nets' record to 3-17. As the team was on the tarmac, preparing to board its charter flight, Katz told Calipari, "You're not going to Toronto, John." Calipari's stock has risen in recent seasons among more than a few GMs, and he's got close ties to William (Wes') Wesley, the CAA powerbroker who has an in with several teams, including Miami, via CAA clients, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and the Knicks, with Anthony, another CAA'er."

lotusland
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't know how often this stuff bubbles up, but word is that Cal wants back in the NBA BADLY. That would be a great finger in the eye to Kentucky.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/04/02/2011-04-02_amare_stoudemires_feelings_must_be_mended_as_ca rmelo_anthony_takes_over_as_knick.html?page=1
"John Calipari coming back to the NBA to coach? Perhaps. Calipari recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business, as usual, as Kentucky's basketball coach, he "wants back in," according to a source. Calipari has never gotten over how he was fired by the Nets 20 games into the 1999 lockout season. He was dismissed by one of the owners, Lewis Katz, only a couple of hours after a loss in Miami that dropped the Nets' record to 3-17. As the team was on the tarmac, preparing to board its charter flight, Katz told Calipari, "You're not going to Toronto, John." Calipari's stock has risen in recent seasons among more than a few GMs, and he's got close ties to William (Wes') Wesley, the CAA powerbroker who has an in with several teams, including Miami, via CAA clients, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and the Knicks, with Anthony, another CAA'er."

I think it would be the best thing possible for UK if Calipari left now assuming they could get a good replacement who could keep signed recruits in the fold. Better for it to happen now while the program is riding high before Calipari brings it down and leaves it in shambles. They could probably get a decent coach. Personally I'd like to see them get Bruce Pearl or Bob Huggins just so could enjoy the mental gymnastics on Cats Pause rationalizing how a formerly hated rival coach is now their coach. Sort of like after they hired Calipari. Actually the most entertaining hire for UK would be Knight. That would be even more entertaining than Knight at UNLV.

diveonthefloor
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
If Cal is sniffing the NBA again, then he has word that the NCAA is hot on his trail (or at least UK's trail.) That is his M.O.

There could be no other reason for him to leave the security that the UK job offers. He would last in the NBA for about 1 season.

KenTankerous
04-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Calapayme needs to buy, urr, win the NC at Kentucky before he will feel ready to go to the NBA. I mean, what else has he left to vacate in the college game?

Did anyone else take exception to announcers saying that Cal had taken three teams to the Final Four? Doesn't vacating those victories, um, I don't know, VACATE them?

PADukeMom
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
If Cal is sniffing the NBA again, then he has word that the NCAA is hot on his trail (or at least UK's trail.) That is his M.O.

There could be no other reason for him to leave the security that the UK job offers. He would last in the NBA for about 1 season.

I mean no disrespect but how long do you think Cal will be safe at UK? UK is all about winning a NC, ok to be fair all teams are about this, but if he doesn't win one soon how long do you think the UK Boosters are going to keep him around?

Quite frankly don't care what happens at UK.

uh_no
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I mean no disrespect but how long do you think Cal will be safe at UK? UK is all about winning a NC, ok to be fair all teams are about this, but if he doesn't win one soon how long do you think the UK Boosters are going to keep him around?

Quite frankly don't care what happens at UK.

If he keeps having teams like this, he's not going anywhere.

Kedsy
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I mean no disrespect but how long do you think Cal will be safe at UK?

They guy took over a program coming off an NIT appearance the previous year and four straight years with double-digit losses and failing to make the Sweet Sixteen. Not only that, but before he took over they had a below-average recruiting class coming in. Yet in his first two years he has made the Elite Eight and the Final Four.

Assuming the program doesn't get hit with sanctions (which of course is always a possibility with Calipari) I think he has pretty good job security.

mph
04-06-2011, 02:51 PM

I look forward to an outgoing press conference where Calipari tells the Kentucky faithful that it's the greatest day in the program's history.