sully 1

this does not bode well in terms of nolan winning any big POY awards :(

gcashwell
04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I guess defense doesn't matter...

ScreechTDX1847
04-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Your right, it doesn't and never really has. Unless it shows up in the stat sheet then it isn't really recognized. The AP (at large) hasn't been watching Nolan Smith fight through screens and shut down opposing guards all season. AP POY goes to scorers.

PADukeMom
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Sad but expected. I still want a Nolan Smith jersey more than I want a Jimmer one.

nmduke2001
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Best quote from the article:
"I've seen dead people play better defense. At least they occasionally trip people."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6257636

Mike Corey
04-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Congrats to Fredette. Hope he's out celebrating with some cold pitchers of water.

AsiaMinor
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Will we have to call him "Jimmest" now?

NYC Duke Fan
04-02-2011, 03:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6280416

kemba a distant second and nolan farther back in 3rd

freddette:48
kemba: 11
nolan 5
sully 1

this does not bode well in terms of nolan winning any big POY awards :(

And he richly deserves it. Congratulations to him !!! This in no way takes anything away from Nolan who is also a terrific player as is Walker.

Duke: A Dynasty
04-02-2011, 03:25 AM
And he richly deserves it. Congratulations to him !!! This in no way takes anything away from Nolan who is also a terrific player as is Walker.

I do not see tbh. He can not play defense and I mean litteraly play no defense. He scores a lot because he shoots 25 times or more per game. He never had a clutch shot all year and played his team out of the tournament in that last game. As much as I like Nolan, I thought Kemba deserved it the most.

uh_no
04-02-2011, 03:57 AM
I do not see tbh. He can not play defense and I mean litteraly play no defense. He scores a lot because he shoots 25 times or more per game. He never had a clutch shot all year and played his team out of the tournament in that last game. As much as I like Nolan, I thought Kemba deserved it the most.

While he obviously doesn't play defense (he probably could if he expended the effort....) I must agree on most of your points. I must also point out that Nolan really didn't have a clutch shot all year (I'm sure someone will call me on this...), and part of that is a relative lack of close games (given he was PHENOMENAL in UNC part 1 act 2). He, like jimmer, didn't really show up when they went out in the tournament. I'm sure I will get called on this too, so I'll say that so much of that was due to arizona's phenomenal play (and the 'confusion' with kyrie). Kemba has clearly been the tournament player of the year (by FAR) but his regular season Big East play was far from stellar.

In the end, it comes down to what you value as a voter:
offense? Jimmer
Tournament play/clutchness? kemba
All around effectiveness? Nolan

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the picks. They've all shown themselves to be great basketball players and great people (though if 'interviewability' were a criterion, Kemba would LOSE that one by a landslide....by far the most boring interview on television!)

Duke: A Dynasty
04-02-2011, 04:16 AM
In the end, it comes down to what you value as a voter:
offense? Jimmer
Tournament play/clutchness? kemba
All around effectiveness? Nolan

I would still take Kemba for offense as well. Kemba played tougher opponents than Jimmer and could get his own shot better while both had about the same fg %'s (45% to 43%). Only big difference was from 3 (40% to 34%).

For me its like:
Offense- Kemba
Defense- Nolan
Overall player- Nolan
Cluctch- Kemba
Ability to go off or 40 then come back and go 10 for 30- Jimmer

I think the media won this for Jimmer. He got all the love from epsn and was constantly mentioned. He is a great player but not in the same mention of Nolan or Kemba.

uh_no
04-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I would still take Kemba for offense as well. Kemba played tougher opponents than Jimmer and could get his own shot better while both had about the same fg %'s (45% to 43%). Only big difference was from 3 (40% to 34%).

For me its like:
Offense- Kemba
Defense- Nolan
Overall player- Nolan
Cluctch- Kemba
Ability to go off or 40 then come back and go 10 for 30- Jimmer

I think the media won this for Jimmer. He got all the love from epsn and was constantly mentioned. He is a great player but not in the same mention of Nolan or Kemba.

I agree with you. Kemba had it locked up, but took february off...can't have a 3-4 week stretch of mediocre (pshhhh if mediocre is 16 pts a game at least!) and still pick up the POY.

The kid's a stud, there's no way around it, just had a few average weeks....given, if they win their next two games, I doubt he, I, or anyone else associated with the state of connecticut cares 1 bit about any POY awards