PDA

View Full Version : Laettner Looking for Coaching Gig

Bluedog
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Laettner is apparently looking for an assistant coaching gig. I know lots of people here will say "Big man coach!"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Ex-Duke-star-Christian-Laettner-is-searching-for?urn=ncaab-wp1640

I especially like this line on his website about the Christian Laettner Basketball Academy:

I offer discounts to all players, teams and coaches who hail from the states of Kentucky, North Carolina and Connecticut. This comes from the compassion and generosity of my heart and soul for causing you all so much pain, agony and hate over my four year career at Duke!!

Classic Laettner...

uh_no
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I offer discounts to all players, teams and coaches who hail from the states of Kentucky, North Carolina and Connecticut. This comes from the compassion and generosity of my heart and soul for causing you all so much pain, agony and hate over my four year career at Duke!!

I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. Can you ever imagine K putting up something like that? For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.

happydays1949
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. Can you ever imagine K putting up something like that? For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.

Not me...I love it....

LSanders
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Dude, lighten up.

-bdbd
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there..... ....I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. .... That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers... :rolleyes:

Master Shake
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Pitino should hire him-- the entire state of KY would explode. Laettner always struck me as a Roy Keane type-- great competitor, but not sure his personality ultimately suits coaching. Good luck to him.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there... I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers... :rolleyes:

Its just an opinion, but regardless of how much you've had to put up with, rubbing your superiority and success in those people's faces in a professional setting is unacceptable. Since he wants to be a coach, he needs to let his playing days be behind him....it was 20 years ago already...as he says to pitino in the commercial a couple years ago "let it go"

Duvall
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there.....

Fans?

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/JimiAH/SellersSmashsLaettner.jpg

NSDukeFan
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there..... ....I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. .... That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers... :rolleyes:

If they are not already alienated, I don't think that funny comment would do it.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Fans?

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/JimiAH/SellersSmashsLaettner.jpg

I don't know when that was taken, but stomping on a helpless guy on the floor isn't exactly the best way to endear yourself to fans....much of the crap he got was brought upon by his own actions.

wilko
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.

I dunno.... I think it has ONIONS. I like it.
I don't recall too many complaints on the Grant Hill rebuttal to Rose where he closed with
(paraphrasing) "BTW- I never lost the Fab 5". Kinda sorta the same thing...

Maybe neither NEEDED to be said.... but I prolly woulda done the same in either case. Besides, do you really think parents of UNC, UConn and KY are gonna sent their prodigious prodigies to a Laettner camp anyway?

I tend to think they weren't gonna come anyway

Duvall
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know when that was taken, but stomping on a helpless guy on the floor isn't exactly the best way to endear yourself to fans....much of the crap he got was brought upon by his own actions.

1991 Midwest Regional Semifinal. And I'm pretty sure the action that inspired it was this (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-03-25/sports/9003253693_1_laettner-duke-blue-devils).

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Seriously?!?! How so? And you can hardly characterize his actions v. Kentucky as "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor". That description just makes me laugh! :)

uh_no
04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Seriously?!?! How so? And you can hardly characterize his actions v. Kentucky as "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor". That description just makes me laugh! :)

Have you watched the clip? timberlake had just fallen on the floor after a rebound and not a second later, the foot came....I'm pretty sure he could be characterized as 'helpless' at that moment. I also refuse to wear blue glasses in this case and refer to the action as anything other than a stomp.

It is beyond me why the duke community seems to tolerate this abhorrent action.

_Gary
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
To this day I'm still amazed whenever I hear or read someone describe what Laettner did as a "stomp." That word implies heaviness or even violent force. Anyone with even one eye can see that Christian didn't come down with any real force. It was a tap, but not a stomp. If he had really meant to hurt Timberlake he easily could have. But it gives people something to talk about, and all the more when they exaggerate what took place. :rolleyes:

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Have you watched the clip? timberlake had just fallen on the floor after a rebound and not a second later, the foot came....I'm pretty sure he could be characterized as 'helpless' at that moment. I also refuse to wear blue glasses in this case and refer to the action as anything other than a stomp.

There's a difference between tolerating something and characterizing it appropriately.

Certainly I've seen the clip - many times. I wasn't born last night. But if you think the UK player was actually in danger of being seriously injured, or that Laettner was attempting to injure him, then we'll have to disagree. Especially given that the UK player got up smiling about the whole thing - apparently he was less offended by it than you are. And "stomp" is not an appropriate descriptor here.

Bluedog
Sorry, I didn't mean to make this a "is Christian Laettner an arrogant jerk?" thread by singling out that comment. I mean, clearly the writer cherry-picked the sentence out on his site to convey that getting a coaching job might be an uphill battle in some quarter due to his perception and Christian even acknowledges that, hoping that coaches and teams will judge him more based on one-to-one interactions and what he can bring to a program rather than pre-conceived notions about his personality. Seems like he could bring a lot of positive things to a program assuming it's a good fit. And the "stomp" of a "helpless player" was the weakest thing I have ever seen - largely symbolic stupidity which Christian admitted was stupid. But the player pointed and got up and laughed and clapped after the supposed "stomp." It was more of a placement of his foot on a guy's chest who happened to be on the ground. Certainly, not appropriate and it was deserving of a T, which was awarded. But if Christian actually wanted to inflict physical pain, he could have easily done so, which he chose not to do. (Again, still was stupid and unsportsmanlike. If you watch the documentary that was linked here a couple days ago, Coach K told him in the huddle "Christian, you just did something incredibility stupid."). (Edit: cross-posted with the above statement post.)

I personally wish Laettner the best in his coaching search, and in my opinion, it the best Duke player ever (but not necessarily my favorite).

killerleft

The Helpless Timberlakes would be a great name for a band. Your post almost made me snort diet Mountain Dew out my ears - thanks!
Question: How do you catch fish in a Timberlake? Answer: You use Aminu.

Scorp4me

I'll be the first to admit it was a trippy thing to do and probably embarassing. Still it's not confined to him or one team. Everybody has done it at some point in their lives, you get frustrated and you lash out. But "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor"? That's just a hilarious characterization.

Stray Gator
04-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Here's a contemporaneous article about the incident in the 1991 game against UConn for anyone who may have forgotten:

UConn's Sellers apologizes to Duke, Laettner
March 27, 1991|By Ken Davis | Ken Davis,The Hartford Courant

STORRS, Conn. -- University of Connecticut center Rod Sellers sent a letter to Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski yesterday, apologizing for an incident that took place Friday in the second half of their NCAA Midwest Regional semifinal in Pontiac, Mich.

Sellers and UConn coach Jim Calhoun agreed the letter was necessary after viewing videotape.

With just under six minutes remaining in Duke's 81-67 victory, Sellers and Duke center Christian Laettner were involved in a scramble for a loose ball under UConn's basket. As a jump ball was called by the officials, Sellers landed on top of Laettner, pinned him on his back, elbowed Laettner in the face, and then twice used his forearm to slam Laettner's head to the floor.

CBS-TV picked up the incident with an isolation camera and replayed it several times. Then, with 4:55 remaining, Sellers picked up his fifth personal foul and a technical foul for taunting Laettner.

Duvall
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3rg_AptzM&NR=1#t=2m18s).

Duvall
04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Its just an opinion, but regardless of how much you've had to put up with, rubbing your superiority and success in those people's faces in a professional setting is unacceptable.

Call it arrogance or unsportsmanlike, but the guy has more final fours than any non-Duke player in history, won 122 games in his Duke career, and has two titles. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25090-WBB-Regional-Final-Duke-vs.-UConn-Tuesday-3-29-7pm&p=495024#post495024)

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
much of the crap he got was brought upon by his own actions.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of this statement.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Call it arrogance or unsportsmanlike, but the guy has more final fours than any non-Duke player in history, won 122 games in his Duke career, and has two titles. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25090-WBB-Regional-Final-Duke-vs.-UConn-Tuesday-3-29-7pm&p=495024#post495024)

wait wait wait....so winning justifies unsportsmanlike conduct?

That, in my mind, is everything that Duke Basketball does NOT stand for.

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
wait wait wait....so winning justifies unsportsmanlike conduct?

That, in my mind, is everything that Duke Basketball does NOT stand for.

He's pointing out your own hypocrisy; apparently you're failing to realize it. Hint: click on the text.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
He's pointing out your own hypocrisy; apparently you're failing to realize it. Hint: click on the text.

Leaving players in the game = stomping on a guy?

whatever you say.

JTH
04-01-2011, 01:21 PM

I just see it as Christian trying to get folks to lighten up. Nothing wrong with that.

It's kind of like when Michael Jordan chides Gerald Henderson about the times he beat Duke. It's not that Michael is being arrogant or unlikable..........wait a minute........maybe you have a point.

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM

whatever you say.

Again, you're the only one here finding it appropriate to characterize it as "stomping on a helpless guy". If you see that as stomping, please don't ever become a prosecutor.

duke4ever19
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the 21st Century. Please feel free to leave your emotional baggage from a game played in 1992 at the door. :)

uh_no
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Again, you're the only one here finding it appropriate to characterize it as "stomping on a helpless guy". If you see that as stomping, please don't ever become a prosecutor.

Call it whatever you want. Its semantics. "Putting your foot down on top of someone," which I will refer to here as "stomping" if only for simplicity, is probably the next most demeaning thing you can do to someone after spitting on them.

What do you think K's response to the situation was?
a) that's not what our program is about
b) it's okay, christian wins, so it's acceptable

I guess you guys seem to be okay with his action, but tolerance of that sort of thing is NOT the kind of thing i would cheer for Duke basketball. What do you guys tell your kids (if you have them) about it? "It's okay to do that son, he didn't put any force behind it and he's a winner, and as long as you win everything is okay." (this sounds so much like ricky bobby raising his kids....) i know if I ever am lucky enough to have kids, and they come across this incident I sure as heck would tell them that it is unacceptable for anyone to act that way, especially someone related to the Duke program and that I would be sorely disappointed if i ever saw a kid of mine act that way during a sporting event.

Duke4Ever32
04-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Call it whatever you want. Its semantics. "Putting your foot down on top of someone," which I will refer to here as "stomping" if only for simplicity, is probably the next most demeaning thing you can do to someone after spitting on them.

I guess you guys seem to be okay with his action, but tolerance of that sort of thing is NOT the kind of thing i would cheer for Duke basketball. What do you guys tell your kids (if you have them) about it? "It's okay to do that son, he didn't put any force behind it and he's a winner, and as long as you win everything is okay." (this sounds so much like ricky bobby raising his kids....) i know if I ever am lucky enough to have kids, and they come across this incident I sure as heck would tell them that it is unacceptable for anyone to act that way, especially someone related to the Duke program and that I would be sorely disappointed if i ever saw a kid of mine act that way during a sporting event.

Sigh. I'll say again - there's a difference between tolerating something and properly characterizing it. What's funny is that neither the former nor the latter are happening here.

No one is holding Christian's actions against Aminu up as something to emulate, cheer for, or accept. You're acting like we're all enthusiatic supporters of what he did and we're tolerating some horrible evil that was perpetrated. That's not the case. What he did was not appropriate or commendable in any way, but neither is it the act of violence you're making it out to be, such that Christian deserves condemnation or judgment from it. If there was either some intent to injure or the real possibility of harm from the act, different story. But there simply wasn't, and you're making a mountain out of a molehill. As I said, you're apparently more offended by it than the person it was directed to, who I would submit was in a better position than you are to judge the maliciousness of it.

At any rate, we're almost 20 years beyond it, and it isn't worth all of this discussion.

Curt
04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

not sure its inappropiate, its kinda the point. In our baser nature shattering the hopes and dreams of opponents
is at the heart of competition. Christian just enjoyed it more than most.

wilko
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Its over-simplistic. Call it a love-tap if you must. Stomp implies FORCE. If a 7ft dude stomps you, you ain't getting up...

I recall watching an off campus fight once (from my undergrad days NOT @ Duke) where this guy in the ROTC program who was having a fit of roid rage kicked a dudes head (he was already laid out on the ground) like it was a football. I'm surprised the dudes neck wasn't broken.

If Laettners action was truly horrific for you, I submit that you may be somewhat sheltered. Or you are really just inclined to not like Laettner no matter what and this is as good a reason as any.

I guess you guys seem to be okay with his action, but tolerance of that sort of thing is NOT the kind of thing i would cheer for Duke basketball.
I'd say it should have been a foul on Timberlake taking a nap in the middle of the floor where someone could fall and get hurt.

Seriously tho - How often has Duke come up on the short end of the being manhandled stick? JJ left most games bloodied. How many drives did Singler have THIS year where he was mugged with no-call. Or last years Blackeyes. Surely there was a foul somewhere in that contact.

Until you express EQUAL outrage in Duke player being mauled, your comments ring hollow. If you have and I missed it in other threads on other days - apologies.

NSDukeFan
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

whatever you say.

I certainly agree with you that there is nothing wrong with playing your players late in a game even if you are up by a lot if you want them to improve, or have a reason to do it. I especially do not have a problem with playing your players the full game in an elite 8 game. If not then, when? If you have the team to blow out one of the 8 final teams in the tournament, fine. But, I would say that is not much more unsportsmanlike than, in the heat of the moment, resting your foot on someone's chest. I agree Laettner's action is worse and deserved the appropriate punishment he got, but to 20 years later call that "stomping on a guy?" I hope Justin's brother has recovered from the broken ribs and internal bleeding that you seem to feel he must have received from being "stomped on."

By the way, interesting article Stray. Thanks for posting.

94duke
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Any chance this thread can get back to discussing whether or not Laettner would be a good assistant coach?

I think he would be a great coach. He had solid post moves. He could hit the jumper. He had the will to win. He has a lot he could share with his would-be players.

NSDukeFan
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Any chance this thread can get back to discussing whether or not Laettner would be a good assistant coach?

I think he would be a great coach. He had solid post moves. He could hit the jumper. He had the will to win. He has a lot he could share with his would-be players.

I have no idea whether Laettner would be a good assistant coach, though many on the board seem to believe that your reasons, as well as the fact that he is 6'10 would make him a good big man coach. I am pretty sure that those skills, which made him one of the best college basketball players ever, would mean very little as to whether he would be a good coach or not. Just my opinion. 1f

On the other hand, I like that he is interested in coaching and hope he is very successful. One advantage he does have is that he learned from a pretty good college coach.

wilko
04-01-2011, 02:15 PM

As a TEACHER of the game... I'm sure he'll be as successful as he wants to be if he applies the same vigor and determination he did as a player...

BUT, can he escape his perceptions and recruit? If he can pull in good players the sky is the limit. (The pic of his wife was attractive, so he MUST have some salesmanship to him.. )

calltheobvious
04-01-2011, 02:21 PM

You grew up a UConn fan. You think that "stomp" is a fair characterization for the sake of "simplicity." Makes perfect sense. In exactly the same way it makes perfect sense that those of us Duke fans who've never rooted for UConn or Kentucky would take a more nuanced look at The Laettner-Timberlake Play, and conclude that the vast majority of non-Duke fans who still mention it continue to blow it out of proportion.

Reasonable people can disagree somewhat about the play. But please spare me the plaintive indignation.

unexpected
04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I like how an April Fool's Joke has turned into a meta-discussion on Laettner's stomp.

JayBean
04-01-2011, 02:31 PM
One other factor that people tend to forget is that Timberlake undercut Laettner immediately proceeding the incident. One of the commentators stated that undercutting was always a dangerous play. In this context, Laettner's actions seems more like a bad reaction rather than an action designed to do harm.

The characterization of Timberlake as being in a "helpless position" is laughable when you realize he got in that "helpless position" by putting Laettner at risk.

_Gary
04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
One other factor that people tend to forget is that Timberlake undercut Laettner immediately proceeding the incident. One of the commentators stated that undercutting was always a dangerous play. In this context, Laettner's actions seems more like a bad reaction rather than an action designed to do harm.

The characterization of Timberlake as being in a "helpless position" is laughable when you realize he got in that "helpless position" by putting Laettner at risk.

YES, YES, YES to this. I saw Laettner's response exactly the same way. He was reacting (poorly) to an undercut which was dangerous. As a player, one thing you never want is a guy that's going to take your feet out from under you when you are battling for a ball. Again, I'm not justifying the way in which he responded. But it has been overblown for 20 years now. Way overblown, IMHO.

Jason W
04-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Okay, would you rather, if you had to, have someone "stomp" your testicles or do that to them?

Sorry for the graphic visual.

gwlaw99
04-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Getting back on topic. Can coach K PLEASE hire Laettner to teach the Plumlees footwork and how to make a move in the post.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Okay, would you rather, if you had to, have someone "stomp" your testicles or do that to them?

Sorry for the graphic visual.

I think it wouldn't matter, I'd still chastise the guy for doing it....well....I wouldn't be doing much of anything in either case.....

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Actually, it wasn't Timberlake, it was Farmer who pushes Laettner in the back on a rebound, knocking him to the floor. Laettner gets up and sees Timberlake as the culprit and is clearly ticked off. He was just getting revenge albeit to the wrong guy.

Trust me, I've watched this sequence at least 20-30 times.

johnb
04-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Longtime NBA players are widely viewed as not being interested in the gruntwork involved in being an assistant college coach, especially at a non-elite school. By making it clear that he's interested, Laettner sets himself for receiving phone calls. Seems reasonable to me.

Would he be a good coach? He's funny, perceptive, and knows the game of basketball. His experience and success would give him automatic street cred, and I imagine that every parent of a prospect would be thrilled to host Laettner for a home visit. And I'd assume he can teach some of the stuff that he knows, but I'd imagine he'd have to show some actual skills in that area.

The stuff about the foot stomp is such old news. It wasn't even remotely close to stuff that was done to him with some regularity.

By all accounts, he acted like a jerk with some regularity. That's what was 20 years ago. He was a pro for a long time and has helped raise kids. He's now a grown up.

I don't think he'll find a quick spot on the Duke bench, even if Chris and Wojo find head coaching jobs this weekend, but if I were the head coach at, say, Harvard or Stanford, I'd give it some serious thought.

loldevilz
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Wasn't Laettner partly responsible for the improvement of Zoubek last year? I thought he coached him over the summer a bit.

Anyways, I think if Wojo ends up leaving for the Utah job, I think Laettner would make a great big man coach. He obviously understands what it takes to be an elite big man.

Also, I think his competitive spirit would be nice on the Duke bench.

killerleft
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
One thing is for sure. Christian Laettner has an inate talent for leading teams to championships. I could definitely see Christian as a great teacher and motivator of college basketball players. And there is no doubt that he instinctively knows how to get under someone's skin.

The only question is whether he can channel that knowledge into producing better ballplayers, as opposed to making them see red. He's both passionate and intelligent, and almost 20 years more experienced than he was in college. I think he might be an exceptional coach.

davekay1971
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Longtime NBA players are widely viewed as not being interested in the gruntwork involved in being an assistant college coach, especially at a non-elite school. By making it clear that he's interested, Laettner sets himself for receiving phone calls. Seems reasonable to me.

Would he be a good coach? He's funny, perceptive, and knows the game of basketball. His experience and success would give him automatic street cred, and I imagine that every parent of a prospect would be thrilled to host Laettner for a home visit. And I'd assume he can teach some of the stuff that he knows, but I'd imagine he'd have to show some actual skills in that area.

By all accounts, he acted like a jerk with some regularity. That's what was 20 years ago. He was a pro for a long time and has helped raise kids. He's now a grown up.

First of all, thank you so much for bringing this thread back to the actual subject matter at hand. Secondly, I agree with your last paragraph. I lived on Central Campus directly across the lawn from Laettner and BD. They both acted like jerks fairly frequently, and, while I cheered them on the court, I wasn't a big fan of them as people. But, thinking back, if I were a wildly successful campus celebrity at 19-20, I would have probably been far more insufferable. Time changes us all, and Laettner has been no more frozen in time than I have.

I think Laettner would have great deal to offer as an assistant coach. He had all the tools - toughness, tenacity, good footwork, great finishing moves, a desire to continuously improve, and a competitive streak a mile wide. If he has the skills to teach these qualities, he'll make any program better.

This may all be a moot point, since we already have a big man coach. I don't think K would hire Laettner over Wojo. Wojo may move on, of course, or Collins may move on, leaving the Associate Head Coach spot open for Wojo which would open the big man coach spot for Christian.

There's also the age old question as to whether Wojo being a little big man coach hurts our recruitment of big men. I have a friend who is a Charlotte orthopaedic surgeon who sees a number of kids on the AAU circuit, and he told me that the AAU kids do perceive Wojo's being the big man coach as a negative for big men at Duke. Then again, the same guy knows Dr. Anderson and told me no way Kyrie was coming back this season, so even people "in the know" sometimes aren't as in the know as they think. My guess is that opposing programs try to make Wojo a negative for Duke, and some kids buy it, others don't. Would having Laettner on the bench help us recruit and develop top-talent big men? Probably wouldn't hurt. But I'd love to see him there for a lot of the same reasons I love seeing Nate there - some guys just have fire, and having that fire around your team can only help.

wilko
04-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm glad that Laettner and Hurley are interested in doing some coaching.
I wish them the best and hope they succeed.

HOWEBAH, we have had nothing but Duke guys on the bench for forever it seems... Nate and Chris seem to be waiting patiently in the wings for Wojo and/or Collins to find an itch to pursue greener pastures. That itch may or may not happen this year or next... but the Duke bench looks pretty full.

As much as I would love to see Laettner (and Hurley beside) K one day..... there are dues to be paid. It shouldn't be at Nate or Chris' expense. They have been working hard and deserve to move up should an opening occur.

I would hope that the NEXT person to join the coaching staff be someone who hasn't been drinking the Duke Kool-aid for forever and can bring some different perspectives to the role. Maybe being away for a while adds to that perspective.

Cameron
04-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Abhorrent action? Come on. Who are you, the Earl of Sandwich? Your over the top and almost absurd rebuttals on this subject remind me of a famous satirical letter sent from the Duke of Wellington to the National Office of London in response to petty grievances issued by bureaucrats while The Duke was leading his troops into battle against Napoleon.

Gentlemen,

Whilst marching from Portugal to a position which commands the approach to Madrid and the French forces, my officers have been diligently complying with your requests. I have dispatched reports on the character, wit and spleen of every officer. Each item has been accounted for, with two regrettable exceptions for which I beg your indulgence.

Unfortunately, the sum of one shilling and ninepence remains unaccounted for in one infantry battalion's petty cash and there has been a hideous confusion as to the number of jars of raspberry jam issued to one calvary regiment during a sandstorm in western spain.

Christian lightly pressed his sneaker to a guy's chest because, according to Laettner in later interviews, that freshman was being a punk (as explained as an "undercutting" of Laettner by a poster above) and needed informed that his youthful boastfulness wasn't going to be tolerated. Christian was sending a simple -- and certainly not abhorrent -- message. Abhorrent action is Ron Artest hurtling into the stands to go Buster Douglas on an impotent fan. To be brutally honest, however, in light of the events that would unfold later that night, Laettner could have ridden a Tennessee Walking Horse on top of Aminu and I would have been pretty forgiving.

:)

wsb3
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Stomp Never ceases to amaze me that anyone could watch the play and the subsequent reaction from the Kentucky player and use the word stomp.

jdj4duke
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Pretty funny in my book. After taking grief and untold numbers of insults, hate-mails, criticisms, and all manner of foul and personal attacks, this little jab is harmless. He should in fact and, in view of the last couple weeks, include Michigan in the list of those eligible for discount. Unless he would choose, as Jalen might predict, not to take anyone from there.

OZ
04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Pretty funny in my book. After taking grief and untold numbers of insults, hate-mails, criticisms, and all manner of foul and personal attacks, this little jab is harmless. He should in fact and, in view of the last couple weeks, include Michigan in the list of those eligible for discount. Unless he would choose, as Jalen might predict, not to take anyone from there.

I agree totally. He could throw in LSU with the personal attacks that awaited him there; attacks that had nothing to do with basketball.

Son of Mojo
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
In regard to Christian being able to coach, I'd think he would be capable. He could be a great asset in teaching bigs (and I'd love for him to show the current ones how to do) the pump fake. He was great at it. His personality rubbed many, including teammates, the wrong way. I would hope with time that some of that has been curbed but you never know until he is in that spot.

And if you want a stomp, here you go--and I bet it "hurt" as much as Christian's did in '92.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oBMXDBtMDg

DukieinSoCal
04-01-2011, 06:22 PM
In regard to Christian being able to coach, I'd think he would be capable. He could be a great asset in teaching bigs (and I'd love for him to show the current ones how to do) the pump fake. He was great at it. His personality rubbed many, including teammates, the wrong way. I would hope with time that some of that has been curbed but you never know until he is in that spot.

Although he wasn't a true post player, Christian would probably have a lot to offer as a coach, especially at Duke where we mostly recruit big guys that can shoot and move around well. I bet he could do wonders for Ryan and Mason, teach them how to play/score and maximize their gifts.

My only concern would be the potential negative effect on recruiting. Given Christian's reputation outside of Duke, would it turn some recruits off from Duke?

If we lose Wojo or Collins, it will be interesting to see what coach K does.

bdeviled11
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
[/QUOTE]If we lose Wojo or Collins, it will be interesting to see what coach K does.[/QUOTE]

Kyrie going pro doesn't really concern me. Getting Deandre Daniels, not interested.

Losing your big man coach, can be a great opportunity. Let's say Wojo is a good big man coach, and could possibly be a good head coach. The opportunity to hire a great big man coach could be a definite difference maker for Duke basketball in the future.

I'm not saying Wojo is bad, but is there someone better out there?

dairedevil
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
All this talk about Laettner, his drive and will to win... 1989, his freshman year, Duke plays Arizona in the Meadowlands. One second left, Laettner misses a free throw. He is devastated as Duke loses a game that they coulda/shoulda won. I'll never forget how Coach K grabbed Laettner by the face, looked him in the eyes, and said, " don't worry, son, you'll get another chance" (or something like that). What a coach! Kid became one of the best clutch players in NCAA history.

I loved Laettner because of his talent, his drive, his will to win, and the fact that his uniform had Duke on the front. He had more media coverage that I can remember up to that time, and probably didn't handle it all that well - I mean, has any other college basketball player made People magazine's 50 most beautiful people? Surely nobody before him. I think kids today are taught what to expect and how to deal with the media spotlight. It's everywhere today-maybe the attention is a little less focused on only one person.

Would he make a good college assistant? Should Duke want him? I sure don't know the answer to either question and don't think I'll speculate. I'll just wish him well.

Atlanta Duke
04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Former players who express a sudden interest to get into coaching (or for that matter any other line of work) only after the business ventures they pursued following their playing days have crapped out might not be the best candidates for an assistant coach hire but good luck to him

uh_no
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
To be brutally honest, however, in light of the events that would unfold later that night, Laettner could have ridden a Tennessee Walking Horse on top of Aminu and I would have been pretty forgiving.

That's a great attitude and lesson for the kids:

your actions don't matter as long as you win in the end.

Thats why calipari is coaching at kentucky
that's why lane kiffin is coaching
thats why jim calhoun makes a ton of money

While some people here have said that they do think its reprehensible what he did, despite my making it out to be so much more than it is, others say they really don't care. Frankly, its the latter half of fans that appall me. He degraded the other player on the court by stepping on him. I don't care if it was retaliation, I don't care if he fixed the US budget deficit. He could be a wonderful person, but what he did at that moment was wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, I understand that (especially in the heated moments of a game), but it takes an incredible lack of respect for coach K's program to sit here and say THAT act, whether a step, a stomp, a 'love tap' or whatever it was, is acceptable, especially since the justification for its acceptability is the fact that laettner was a good basketball player.

Son of Mojo
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
The 19 year old dead horse is starting to show too many new bruises............

jv001
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
that will change my mind that Christian is the greatest Duke player of all time. Now that's just my opinion. Can he be a good coach? I would think so, because he's was a great college player. Right there with DT, Walton, Alicinder(Jabar), Pistol Pete and the likes. He was as good a clutch player in the college ranks as there has been. He played under the best ever college coach so he knows a little about the college game. Another plus for Christian is he played in the NBA. As for the little tap he gave to the Kentucky player, I just wish he could have given another to one of the Uconvicts. Go Duke!

wilko
04-01-2011, 09:45 PM
He degraded the other player on the court by stepping on him. I don't care if it was retaliation, I don't care if he fixed the US budget deficit. He could be a wonderful person, but what he did at that moment was wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, I understand that (especially in the heated moments of a game), but it takes an incredible lack of respect for coach K's program to sit here and say THAT act, whether a step, a stomp, a 'love tap' or whatever it was, is acceptable, especially since the justification for its acceptability is the fact that laettner was a good basketball player.

uh-huh...
SO degrading another player on the court is now the measuring stick?
Where is your outrage for those dudes that posterized Paulus by teabagging him while air-born? At least be consistent...

(FWIW - GP is a better man than me. I would have done a soccer style header on someone to end that noise once and for all.)

The fact IS if that game had not been THE game, if one of the teams in that game was not been named Duke it would be another lost moment in sports history. No one would remember and no one would care.

Hate all you want if thats your kick, but don't pretend its justified.

uh_no
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
uh-huh...
SO degrading another player on the court is now the measuring stick?
Where is your outrage for those dudes that posterized Paulus by teabagging him while air-born? At least be consistent...

(FWIW - GP is a better man than me. I would have done a soccer style header on someone to end that noise once and for all.)

The fact IS if that game had not been THE game, if one of the teams in that game was not been named Duke it would be another lost moment in sports history. No one would remember and no one would care.

Hate all you want if thats your kick, but don't pretend its justified.

I would chastise any player who made such an action, whether they played for Duke or north anchorage institute of technology. Yes. degrading another player by an action such as stepping on them or spitting on them is one of the lowest actions you can make in any situation...Taking an action such as that after play has ended as opposed to during the course of play (dunking on paulus...and while dunking on people is a widely accepted play if you are a superior athlete, stepping on a downed competitor is not) is much different from one which occurs during a play stoppage.

I've said a couple of times, I don't hate christian laettner. I said (in my most previous post i believe) that people make mistakes, and while he should be rebuked for taking such an action, it likely does not reflect on his current character.

wilko
04-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes. degrading another player by an action such as stepping on them or spitting on them is one of the lowest actions you can make in any situation...Taking an action such as that after play has ended as opposed to during the course of play (dunking on paulus...and while dunking on people is a widely accepted play if you are a superior athlete, stepping on a downed competitor is not) .

So what I am hearing is:
Duke players should not degrade others and its OK to degrade Duke players.

If on an inbounds play, player A, pulls the shorts of player B down, forcing B to bend down gather himself and effectively takes player B out of the play. it doesn't matter if the official didn't see who did it, it doesn't matter who is the better athlete. Player B clearly got degraded.

Cant have it both ways. Degrading is not situational.

wilko
04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I just saw on twitter that there is some mutual interest between Wojo and the Dayton job. (some folks will tweet anything so there is a looooooong way to go before that approaches credible) BUT it forces us back on topic. CAN Laettner BE a good coach?

He may get a chance closer to home than I thought. I posted earlier it depends on recruiting... Clearly there are folks not willing to forgive past transgressions. Will that help or hurt when he is in a blue chips living room with his parent(s) selling his employers program package?

Time will tell...

uh_no
04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
So what I am hearing is:
Duke players should not degrade others and its OK to degrade Duke players.

Exactly. I hold duke players to as high a standard as there is, and I think Coach K does also. From integrity to Academics, this program is held to the very highest standard. Would you rather we had the standards of integrity of calhoun and his program? I'm a fan of both programs, but would MUCH rather have the bastion of integrity that duke is than have to try to defend calhoun in from of the people here.

Maybe I'm the one wearing blue glasses here, but I always hold duke players to the highest of the high, and duke is my alma mater...I've been lucky enough in my 4 years here to be blessed to not have to see a situation which would compromise duke's integrity.

I bet if you asked laettner today, he'd probably say doing that to aminu was stupid. I was two at the time it happened but If I were my age at the time, I would have been ticked at him. Unfortunately for christian, though, once you've done something like that for a high profile program, you're going to get a lot of flak. AJ Price and Marcus Williams caught a lot more flak that someone would have at Vermont A&M (given stealing laptops is a little more egrigious), but it comes with the deal when you play for a big time program.

When you come to duke, you agree to uphold the highest standards in a lot of areas. Outside cameron, hanging from the lamposts are signs saying 'excellence in....' and have various traits (of which academics and sportsmanship are contained). In that instance, Christian did not uphold those standards, which is most regrettable. Does this mean he is not a good person or worthy of being an assistant? certainly not! But, when you do something like that at Duke, you get disproportionately recognized for it.

wilko
04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Exactly. I hold duke players to as high a standard as there is, and I think Coach K does also. From integrity to Academics, this program is held to the very highest standard.

Maybe I'm the one wearing blue glasses here, but I always hold duke players to the highest of the high, and duke is my alma mater.

When you come to duke, you agree to uphold the highest standards in a lot of areas. Outside cameron, hanging from the lamposts are signs saying 'excellence in....' and have various traits (of which academics and sportsmanship are contained). In that instance, Christian did not uphold those standards, which is most regrettable. Does this mean he is not a good person or worthy of being an assistant? certainly not! But, when you do something like that at Duke, you get disproportionately recognized for it.

I like you. We could have some fun with this over a beer or 3.
Respectfully, we'll have to disagree and let that be that. If by the yardstick you laid out of "degrading another player" then right is right and wrong is wrong. There are no shades of grey. Its a constant.

But its late and I'm getting tired. Have a good eve.

zoroaster
04-02-2011, 02:27 AM
I didn't find this posted yet (though I may have missed it) -- Laettner's site: http://laettnerbball.com/

johnb
04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
All this talk about Laettner, his drive and will to win... 1989, his freshman year, Duke plays Arizona in the Meadowlands. One second left, Laettner misses a free throw. He is devastated as Duke loses a game that they coulda/shoulda won. I'll never forget how Coach K grabbed Laettner by the face, looked him in the eyes, and said, " don't worry, son, you'll get another chance" (or something like that). What a coach! Kid became one of the best clutch players in NCAA history.

After that game, Laettner was visited in the locker room by Richard Nixon, who was living in New Jersey. I have always assumed Laettner's later success was motivated by his desire not to again need support from Mr. Nixon.

As for whether he need coach only big men: He never struck me as lacking confidence, and I assume he'd give advice to players of all heights.

As for whether he'd leapfrog Carrawell and James in the pecking order. First, I doubt Laettner would be hired by Duke, but, if he were, I assume he'd be inserted wherever K believed he deserved. Seniority makes some difference, but so does meritocracy, and he might already be a better coach than guys currently on the staff. With a nod to Jalen Rose, however, I'd think it
unlikely that K leapfrogs our 2 African-American assistants with a white former player if we lose wojo or Collins. OTOH, if he was effective with Zoubs, he might be a spectacular hire if Wojo gets a head coaching job.

Finally, as for the 'stomping," yaaaawn.

NSDukeFan
04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I would chastise any player who made such an action, whether they played for Duke or north anchorage institute of technology. Yes. degrading another player by an action such as stepping on them or spitting on them is one of the lowest actions you can make in any situation...Taking an action such as that after play has ended as opposed to during the course of play (dunking on paulus...and while dunking on people is a widely accepted play if you are a superior athlete, stepping on a downed competitor is not) is much different from one which occurs during a play stoppage.

I've said a couple of times, I don't hate christian laettner. I said (in my most previous post i believe) that people make mistakes, and while he should be rebuked for taking such an action, it likely does not reflect on his current character.

In my mind, Laettner's step (which I thought was wrong and he was properly punished for it) in no way compares to spitting on someone, in terms of degrading someone. Just my opinion.

duke4ever19
04-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Folks,

The Laettner "stomp" incident is now, almost 20 years later, such an intrinsic part of perhaps the greatest game ever played that it is has started that inevitable, slow progression towards being nothing but a factoid about an important sporting event that occurred in the NCAA Tournament in 1992.

I know Duke fans that still get peeved about losing in the final to Lousville in 1986. But I must confess that I suddenly lack the usual emotions when watching this Duke team play because I was too young to remember the game. I only vividly recall the 90's Duke teams as a youngster.

My kids will only have an emotional tie to Duke games that occur in their lifetime, they will watch the same Laettner game and view it then as merely a historic game in the history of Duke basketball. There will be little-to-no emotional connection.

I think enough time has passed for Laettner to look back on the game and smile and reminisce, and even crack a joke or two if he wants. Should he have "stomped" on Timberlake's chest? No, and he knows that. But the farther away we get from the incident, the less it matters. That game (as great as it was) and that specific icident will not even make it into your children's history book. It probably wouldn't even make it into a book on the history of sports. Maybe not even a book on the history of basketball.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Folks,

The Laettner "stomp" incident is now, almost 20 years later, such an intrinsic part of perhaps the greatest game ever played that it is has started that inevitable, slow progression towards being nothing but a factoid about an important sporting event that occurred in the NCAA Tournament in 1992.

I know Duke fans that still get peeved about losing in the final to Lousville in 1986. But I must confess that I suddenly lack the usual emotions when watching this Duke team play because I was too young to remember the game. I only vividly recall the 90's Duke teams as a youngster.

My kids will only have an emotional tie to Duke games that occur in their lifetime, they will watch the same Laettner game and view it then as merely a historic game in the history of Duke basketball. There will be little-to-no emotional connection.

I think enough time has passed for Laettner to look back on the game and smile and reminisce, and even crack a joke or two if he wants. Should he have "stomped" on Timberlake's chest? No, and he knows that. But the farther away we get from the incident, the less it matters. That game (as great as it was) and that specific incident will not even make it into your children's history book. It probably wouldn't even make it into a book on the history of sports. Maybe not even a book on the history of basketball.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.
Not to Kentucky fans! If you ever want to see one turn red and have steam come out of his (or her) ears, walk up to him and whisper "Christian Laettner" into his ear and step back. Quickly. It never fails to irritate the heck out of one! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

SuperTurkey
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Not to Kentucky fans! If you ever want to see one turn red and have steam come out of his (or her) ears, walk up to him and whisper "Christian Laettner" into his ear and step back. Quickly. It never fails to irritate the heck out of one!

At the Duke/UK game in the Meadowlands in late 2001, I was walking through a group of maybe 10 Kentucky fratboys talking mess because of my Duke sweatshirt. I didn't say anything for a bit, but they were definitely annoying, so I just said one word: "Laettner." I thought 5 of them were going to take a swing at me.

duke4ever19
04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Even Kentucky fans will cool on the whole thing.

By 2070, if your great-great-grandkids go to a game and get harassed by UK fans about a guy back in the last century named Christian Laettner, then I will be shocked... and slightly disturbed.

Can you tell me how much college bball highlights you can remember from the 30's and 40's that rival fans still almost come to blows about? Nope. Neither can I.

ricks68
04-03-2011, 03:28 AM
At the FF tonight I saw a young man in his 20's with a Kentucky blue shirt on with the words " I still hate Christian Laettner" on the front in big bold white letters. When I pointed to him (in my Duke 2010 Championship hat and Duke knit shirt) and said that I liked his shirt, he just smiled and said back "thanks". He was probably just a few years old when "the shot" took them out.

I had the biggest smile, however, when the Uconn "victs" took them out tonight. The Kentucky fans appeared to be so sure that they were going to win-------even up to the last 2 seconds when Uconn made the two foul shots that iced it. It was like a giant bag of hot air got released into the stadiium after the second foul shot was good. The Kentucky fans went from a gloating, cock-sure, arrogant mob to just plain deflated.

Now, we need Butler to take out the victs for the perfect ending.:D

ricks