PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas vs. Barney

timmy c
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Interesting article on Jay Bilas (http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2011/03/ncaa_tournament_broadcaster_jay_bilas_has_a_variet y_of_skills_that_makes_his_voice_one_of_a_kind.htm l
)

The highlight of the article was this little story,

Bilas, who latched on with the Charlotte, N.C.-based firm Moore and Van Allen in the early ’90s, was the lead attorney for Morris Costumes, a costume rental giant that came under fire for copyright infringement.

The plaintiff? Barney the dinosaur.

“They wouldn’t settle, so we went to trial,” Bilas said. “So I went to trial against Barney the purple dinosaur in federal court. And I actually had to subpoena Barney to the trial.”
The plaintiffs did not want to grant his request because of the cost and the manpower behind wrangling the children’s television celebrity.

They argued that there was no way the costumed individual, who would measure 6-9 and weigh more than 250 pounds, could possibly sit inside U.S. District Judge Graham C. Mullen’s courtroom.

That explanation didn’t fly for Bilas — a star forward at Duke, who played professionally for the Dallas Mavericks and in Europe.

“Well your honor, I’m 6-8, 240,” Bilas said. “And I made it in here just fine.”

I guess Jay > Barney!

BD80
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Jay's experience battling Barney must be why he is so comfortable dealing with Digger

Wasn't Digger the littler brown dinosaur added to the Barney cast who had to have everything explained to him?

wilko
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Jay just linked this from his twitter... and I just stole it for my new avatar

Dr. Tina
03-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Jay just linked this from his twitter... and I just stole it for my new avatar

Okay, I so want that t-shirt! Where can we get one?

wilko
04-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Where can we get one?

I don't know. Best I can tell from doing a quick google search is that this is put out by the VCU contingent. They are razzing Jay a bit for his early comments saying they shouldn't have been included in the Tourney field ... or something close to that effect.

No idea where to buy one... not on the school store page.

Any more info would be appreciated.

timmy c
04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Okay, I so want that t-shirt! Where can we get one?

have you thought about making your own? Contact your local screen printing shop. You could mitigate some of the design cost by finding several people who also want a t-shirt.

timmy c
04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
No idea where to buy one... not on the school store page.

Any more info would be appreciated.

More info. as requested...

Here is a Washington Post article about the aforementioned t-shirt.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/about-those-jay-bilas-vcu-diffrent-strokes-t-shirts/2011/04/01/AF51CkHC_blog.html

Sounds like they're not for sale yet. I think this guy is missing out on a major opportunity!