PDA

View Full Version : Duke and Twitter

Dr. Tina
03-30-2011, 11:36 PM
So so excited! I received a phone call from Nolan Smith tonight after answering a trivia question he posted on Twitter. He asked 2 trivia questions...1 at 7:45 and another 1 at 9pm. The first question was about the jersey # he originally wanted to wear at Duke...#43. The second question was about the high schools he attended...St. Johns, Riverside Baptist, and Oak Hill Academy. I was one of 5 lucky winners!

So, he called my cell phone and we talked for about 5 minutes. He was laid back and just really nice. He said he just wanted to thank his fans for supporting him and the team. I asked him about what he was doing now that the season is over and how he'll prepare for the draft. I also told him how I'm a big Duke fan, had been to Duke in December, and that his phone call was the highlight of my week. My mom was in the hospital over the weekend. I'm taking care of her, so it's been stressful. To get a phone call from Nolan is a total pick me up!

Also, an FYI....Jon Scheyer was busting on Nolan during his trivia game, but was convinced to do his own trivia tomorrow night. So, if you want a chance to talk to Jon Scheyer on the phone and you have Twitter, then hang out on Twitter tomorrow night and you could get a chance to talk to Jon!

I've also tweeted with Rasheed (our recruit next year) and Jose (the Duke trainer) and that's been really cool as well!

summerwind03
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow. That is so cool. Something you'll remember for the rest of your life! Nolan is the best! Thanks for sharing this.

davekay1971
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Nolan is wide open, and that's both refreshing and fun for us fans. I was on Facebook the other day and saw "Nolan Smith" pop up in the People You May Know window. 1 friend in common, it said (Shammrog, as it turns out). So I said, what the heck, and sent him a friend request. Within 24 hours he accepted. Totally unexpected, but it was a nice opportunity for me to post a thank you on his wall for his time at Duke and the way he represents the University.

Absolutely one of my favorite Devils.

airowe
03-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Not sure if you guys know about one of my websites, ndotsmittypoy.com. We've had a call out for people to write into Nolan to let him know how they feel about him, how he's affected their lives, etc. Then his sister, who has been instrumental in helping us with the site, is sharing them with Nolan. This one touched all of us.

Comment:
Nolan, I am 14 years old and I look up to you so much! My dad has always been a die hard Duke fan and he recently got me into Duke basketball. I admire you a lot because you never seem to give up and you always give 110% no matter what. I used to play basketball but I had to give that up 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. Even though I'm no longer an athlete, I admire your determination and how you always have a smile on your face. That helps encourage me to do the same in my life! I love following you on Twitter because your tweets are always so positive and lots of times they make my day! Thank you for giving Duke an awesome 4 years and giving me a role model for life! You're awesome! :)

Here's what his sister said in reply:

I just read this email to my mother & Nolan... Truly amazing I wonder if the little girl who wrote that knows she knows she has an equally strong impact on his life? (and ours included!) Makes everything worth it! Thank you for pointing that one out!

Dr. Tina
03-31-2011, 09:54 PM
I posted a message on the ndotsmittypoy.com site today, too! Nolan is just a total treasure and a great representative of Duke BB. He makes everyone smile. If someone doesn't like him, then there's something wrong with that person. That's my take on it. I really enjoyed reading what K had to say about him in the latest BluePlanet issue. He was spot-on about Nolan's uniqueness and how he'll go so far no matter what he does.