PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's All-American Game Thread

licc85
03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Thought it would be a good idea to start this thread so we can talk about how our 3 guys do in this game. I'm looking for Austin to assert his will on this game and go for MVP honors, and I want to see some aggressive and smart play from Marshall and Quinn. Hopefully, our guys outshine the UK recruits. I'm getting so tired of these people in Lexington constantly harrassing me about how good Davis, Gilchrist, Teague, and Wiltjer are.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Elizabeth Williams is dominating the women's game right now. I think she has 13 pts and 9 rebounds at the half. She's an animal on the offensive glass.

licc85
03-30-2011, 08:44 PM
EAST TEAM

Brad Beal G 6-5 Chaminade College Prep, MO (St. Louis, MO) Florida
Chane Behanan F 6-7 Bowling Green, KY (Bowling Green, KY) Louisville
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope G 6-5 Greenville, GA (Greenville, GA) Georgia
Michael Carter-Williams G 6-5 St. Andrew’s, RI (Barrington, RI) Syracuse
Rakeem Christmas F 6-10 Academy of the New Church, PA (Bryn Athyn, PA) Syracuse
Quinn Cook G 6-0 Oak Hill Academy, VA (Mouth of Wilson, VA) Duke
Michael Gilchrist F 6-7 St. Patrick, NJ (Elizabeth, NJ) Kentucky
P.J. Hairston G/F 6-6 Hargrave Military Academy, VA (Chatham, VA) North Carolina
James McAdoo F 6-8 Norfolk Christian, VA (Norfolk, VA) North Carolina
Johnny O’Bryant III C 6-10 Eastside, MS (Cleveland, MS) LSU
Marshall Plumlee F/C 6-10 Christ School, NC (Arden, NC) Duke
Shannon Scott G 6-2 Milton, GA (Alpharetta, GA) Ohio State

WEST TEAM

Khem Birch F/C 6-9 Notre Dame Prep, MA (Fitchburg, MA) Pittsburgh
Wayne Blackshear G/F 6-5 Morgan Park, IL (Chicago, IL) Louisville
Anthony Davis F/C 6-9 Perspectives Charter, IL (Chicago, IL) Kentucky
Branden Dawson G/F 6-5 Lew Wallace, IN (Gary, IN) Michigan State
Myck Kabongo G 6-1 Findlay Prep, NV (Henderson, NV) Texas
LeBryan Nash F 6-7 Lincoln, TX (Dallas, TX) Oklahoma State
Austin Rivers G 6-3 Winter Park, FL (Winter Park, FL) Duke
Marquis Teague G 6-1 Pike, IN (Indianapolis, IN) Kentucky
Adonis Thomas G/F 6-7 Melrose, TN (Memphis, TN) Memphis
Amir Williams C 6-10 Detroit Country Day, MI (Beverly Hills, MI) Ohio State
Kyle Wiltjer F 6-10 Jesuit, OR (Portland, OR) Kentucky
Cody Zeller F 6-10 Washington, IN (Washington, IN) Indiana

lotusland
03-30-2011, 08:48 PM
EAST TEAM

Brad Beal G 6-5 Chaminade College Prep, MO (St. Louis, MO) Florida
Chane Behanan F 6-7 Bowling Green, KY (Bowling Green, KY) Louisville
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope G 6-5 Greenville, GA (Greenville, GA) Georgia
Michael Carter-Williams G 6-5 St. Andrew’s, RI (Barrington, RI) Syracuse
Rakeem Christmas F 6-10 Academy of the New Church, PA (Bryn Athyn, PA) Syracuse
Quinn Cook G 6-0 Oak Hill Academy, VA (Mouth of Wilson, VA) Duke
Michael Gilchrist F 6-7 St. Patrick, NJ (Elizabeth, NJ) Kentucky
P.J. Hairston G/F 6-6 Hargrave Military Academy, VA (Chatham, VA) North Carolina
James McAdoo F 6-8 Norfolk Christian, VA (Norfolk, VA) North Carolina
Johnny O’Bryant III C 6-10 Eastside, MS (Cleveland, MS) LSU
Marshall Plumlee F/C 6-10 Christ School, NC (Arden, NC) Duke
Shannon Scott G 6-2 Milton, GA (Alpharetta, GA) Ohio State

WEST TEAM

Khem Birch F/C 6-9 Notre Dame Prep, MA (Fitchburg, MA) Pittsburgh
Wayne Blackshear G/F 6-5 Morgan Park, IL (Chicago, IL) Louisville
Anthony Davis F/C 6-9 Perspectives Charter, IL (Chicago, IL) Kentucky
Branden Dawson G/F 6-5 Lew Wallace, IN (Gary, IN) Michigan State
Myck Kabongo G 6-1 Findlay Prep, NV (Henderson, NV) Texas
LeBryan Nash F 6-7 Lincoln, TX (Dallas, TX) Oklahoma State
Austin Rivers G 6-3 Winter Park, FL (Winter Park, FL) Duke
Marquis Teague G 6-1 Pike, IN (Indianapolis, IN) Kentucky
Adonis Thomas G/F 6-7 Melrose, TN (Memphis, TN) Memphis
Amir Williams C 6-10 Detroit Country Day, MI (Beverly Hills, MI) Ohio State
Kyle Wiltjer F 6-10 Jesuit, OR (Portland, OR) Kentucky
Cody Zeller F 6-10 Washington, IN (Washington, IN) Indiana

So MPIII but no MG? I'm not a recruitnic but I thought MG was top 20 and MP3 was scraping the bottom of the top 100.

AlaskanAssassin
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
So MPIII but no MG? I'm not a recruitnic but I thought MG was top 20 and MP3 was scraping the bottom of the top 100.

MGbinije is a 5th year senior = not eligible.

but is selected for Jordan brand game

DukeGirl4ever
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Someone please clarify if I am wrong, but it was discussed before and I believe it is because he had an "extra year" of high school. Please forgive me as I don't know the correct terminology.

Ah, I see someone beat me to it! : - )

billyj
03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, any link to the game? Thanks!

licc85
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, any link to the game? Thanks!

the game is on ESPN at 10 PM EST

if you for some reason dont have access to a TV, it's probably gonna be up on espn3.com as well

roywhite
03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
The National Player of the Year is coming to Duke to play basketball.

Yeah, there's that Austin Rivers guy, but this tag also applies to Elizabeth Williams. She is currently dominating the McDonald's girls game. Verrrryy impressive. She's big, quick, and a force in scoring, rebounding, and defending, with a real talent for blocking shots.

Duke and Connecticut are about to compete on more equal footing. If you haven't seen Elizabeth play yet, you're in for a treat. A true star in the making.

Devilsfan
03-30-2011, 09:12 PM
How many VCU and Butler players are MCD AA?

Benjonson
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Elizabeth Williams was also unbelievably articulate during the halftime interview...she will be a Duke favorite.

billyj
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
the game is on ESPN at 10 PM EST

if you for some reason dont have access to a TV, it's probably gonna be up on espn3.com as well

Awesome just saw it's on espn3.com. Thanks!!

roywhite
03-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Elizabeth Williams finished up with a McDonald's girls A-A game scoring record of 23 points and also pulled down 11 rebounds. She shot 10-18 from the field, according to the very impressed announcers, which included the excellent Abby Waner.

ForkFondler
03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Elizabeth Williams finished up with a McDonald's girls A-A game scoring record of 23 points and also pulled down 11 rebounds. She shot 10-18 from the field, according to the very impressed announcers, which included the excellent Abby Waner.

The really exciting thing about MsEWill is that she fills a gaping offensive void in this years team.

DukieTiger
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Anybody got a non-ESPN3 online stream of the game? I really wish I could watch...

licc85
03-30-2011, 10:20 PM
quinn is starting at PG for the east!!

dukelifer
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Williams has great hands, can rebound in traffic and is a quick jumper. She is a talent- she is humble- she is well spoken. Very impressive.

burnspbesq
03-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I loves me some EWill. She reminds me of Crystal Langhorne, who killed us for four years. A little undersized, but ferocious.

IIRC, the thing that sealed the deal with her was the availability of the CAPE program at the med school.

lotusland
03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Why do they use the college line? Isn't the HS line still at the top of the key?

coldriver10
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Austin Rivers just pulled a sick crossover + layup. Marshall Plumlee seems a little timid and has a bit of Plumlee Hands in the 1st half. But other than that I like what I'm seeing out of our three so far!

licc85
03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
wow . . i really wish austin didnt try to rap in that halftime segment . . . hes gonna get ripped so hard for that lol

ajgoodfella7
03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Why do they use the college line? Isn't the HS line still at the top of the key?

High School is 19' 9", NCAA is 20' 9"... I have no idea which distance is being used tonight though, but its only a 12" difference. Plus, they will all be using the college distance from this point forward anyway.

geraldsneighbor
03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
wow . . i really wish austin didnt try to rap in that halftime segment . . . hes gonna get ripped so hard for that lol

Wow, thought the exact same thing. As soon as he said "I rap" I cringed knowing that they'd have him free style. Well, at least he's comfortable in his own skin.

dukelifer
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Of the UNC guys, McAdoo is impressive. A very tough matchup for Duke and just about any team. He is smooth like his uncle. Cook is very fast and can shoot from deep. Rivers is pressing. The kid is intense- may be good- but can be bad. Plumlee can run and dunk- but he is not yet strong enough to play with the big boys. He will need two years or more to be a big contributor at the next level.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
There's obviously a big rivalry between Rivers and Beal (which has been going on for at least a couple years). Rivers looks mad at the way he's playing; he's intense.

Cook made a nice 3 and looks quicker than when I last saw him a few months ago, which is great to see.

Plumlee definitely has the family speed and athleticism. He also has the family hands haha.

McAdoo looks really impressive. Ugh. So does Hairston. Double ugh.

All the Kentucky guys look good... I think Kyle Wiltjer is underrated.

Johnny O'Bryant also looks like a good pro prospect.

Kabongo is playing completely out of control, but he's really talented.

lotusland
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Austin Rivers just pulled a sick crossover + layup. Marshall Plumlee seems a little timid and has a bit of Plumlee Hands in the 1st half. But other than that I like what I'm seeing out of our three so far!

Yeah unfortunatley AR posterized MP3 with the penetration after the crossover.

lotusland
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow, thought the exact same thing. As soon as he said "I rap" I cringed knowing that they'd have him free style. Well, at least he's comfortable in his own skin.

As a rapper he's in the same league as DrewII

Cameron
03-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Rivers delivering some Nas stuff at half-time. Reminds me of illmatic.

Today I woke up with this mind set that I have to be the best,
These dudes don't think I can ball, so I'm going to give them a test,
I dream of playing ball and giving it my all

Pretty solid if you ask me.

ajgoodfella7
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
ESPN's comparisons of AA players to current NBA players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6273251

licc85
03-30-2011, 11:30 PM
OMG anthony davis is an unstoppable monster. Ohio St. and Calipari keep hogging all the great big men . . .

Quinn has SICK handles . . . he might seriously be in a position to challenge for the starting PG position next year. He needs to stop trying to shoot those NBA range 3s, though.

dukelifer
03-30-2011, 11:33 PM
OMG anthony davis is an unstoppable monster. Ohio St. and Calipari keep hogging all the great big men . . .

A year ago Davis was a little man. The kid is a raw talent- perhaps the most interesting player in this class. KY is going to be good for a long while.

Jackson
03-30-2011, 11:45 PM
So far, looks like Austin is off tonight. He is the most talented player on the court though. Cook, however, is really impressive! Very quick, great shooter, looks to get others involved even in an all star game. Nice to see that he started tonight.

J4Kop99
03-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't think it would be ridiculous for me to say that Austin Rivers has one of the quickest first-steps I have ever seen.

He's playing too hard right now, but damn, it's clear the talent is there.

COYS
03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
ESPN's comparisons of AA players to current NBA players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6273251

Marshall and Cole Aldrich? Is this a situation where a white guy must be compared to another white guy? Coming into college, Aldrich had, to quote from scout, "a body Paul Bunyon would have been proud of." His weaknesses were quickness and leaping ability. Marshall, on the other hand, needs to add strength but has great leaping ability. Honestly, they seem like opposites, or at least somewhat close to opposites other than both being somewhat raw.

licc85
03-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Marshall just made a serious post move against a hard double team.

quinn makes a ridiculous layup HIGH off the glass

Austin is kinda shooting his team out of it right now though, him and are teague are hogging the ball.

COYS
03-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Cook, however, is really impressive! Very quick, great shooter, looks to get others involved even in an all star game. Nice to see that he started tonight.

It is obviously hard to tell how the play of a player in an all-star game will translate next year, but Quinn does appear to be very quick with both his first step and in the open court. If he is still suffering from some side-effects from the surgery, then he must be pretty quick, indeed.

ajgoodfella7
03-31-2011, 12:08 AM
I know this may seem like an odd comparison because of size and position differences, but Austin Rivers reminds me a lot of Jay Williams. Their offensive skill sets look very similar, in particular, their first steps and constant cross over dribbling. Their basketball mannerisms overall seem very similar. I don't know if anyone else is getting that vibe, but it is really apparent to me.

basket1544
03-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Marshall has given me some pause tonight. He's shown a few post moves, a nice dunk and he had a face to the basket move that was greatness. Oh and his free throw shooting has good form. Once he hits the weight room in the summer, it will do a lot to help him.

Quinn! His drive to the basket made me think of Nolan.

I've seen Austin have better games, not worried about that.

licc85
03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
It is obviously hard to tell how the play of a player in an all-star game will translate next year, but Quinn does appear to be very quick with both his first step and in the open court. If he is still suffering from some side-effects from the surgery, then he must be pretty quick, indeed.

quinn looks like the best player on the floor in crunch time . . .

UrinalCake
03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Cook was impressive with his drives to the basket. McAdoo looked good too, he should fit well into Roy's system with how he runs the floor.

COYS
03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
quinn looks like the best player on the floor in crunch time . . .

All in all, there's a lot for Duke fans to be excited about. Not Austin's best, but we all know what he can do. Quinn and Marshall both played hard and had some really great sequences. Quinn, in particularly, really controlled the game for the East down the stretch. He is rated lower than Teague and Austin, but he outplayed both of them combined down the stretch. Had some acrobatic finishes, some nice passes, and even a few steals. We're going to have fun rooting for these guys once they arrive on campus.

-bdbd
03-31-2011, 12:52 AM
I watched most of the second half, and thought that Austin looked pretty frustrated (especially at the refs swallowing their whistles as he was being defended physically). But He, Cook and MP3 all played solid games. I agree that Cook may have been our best guy tonight. Also, would have loved to see MG out there too. The Kerlina guys both looked good, and I was impressed to see McAdoo in particular playing some very good defense.

Can't wait to see these four kids in Duke uni's...

:rolleyes:

Bluedog
03-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Just got back from the game at the United Center, and to me, it looked like Austin was hurt in the second half. He kept shaking his hand and looking almost in pain on defense, but on offense he seemed fine dribbling the ball. Not sure what it was about, but definitely looked like something was off. Austin displayed a super fast first step, but also was out of control on certain situations. It's an All-Star game so it's hard to judge, but it did seem like he forced certain situations when it just wasn't there. However, I don't think at Duke it will simply be iso Austin all game and Coach K will certainly know how to utilize his strengths. He certainly displayed good range on his jump shot and some nice dribbling skills. Austin also brought the ball up a fair amount and maybe Coach K will utilize him as a PG in certain situations much like Scheyer was used - steady, set up the offense, don't make mistakes. Although I think he's probably best utilized off the ball.

Definitely Cook impressed more than expected. He was a lot faster than anticipated, especially since he's coming off the injury. Had some nice moves to the rack and some quality passes. I definitely think we have a good PG for the future in Cook and I could see him potentially starting over Curry by the end of the season (assuming Kyrie is gone, of course).

Marshall also showed some nice skills that perhaps I didn't expect. Seems like a lot of posters on here maybe shortchanging him and think he can't contribute anything next season and should redshirt, but if he hits the weight room this summer a la Kelly, he can certainly contribute. He has good athleticism (although I realize that isn't everything; otherwise, Olek would have started) and even displayed a nice post move. He also seemed to run the court very well for a big man. The question marks are post defense and traffic rebounding, but with his supposed hard work ethic, I've got to believe in time he'll get those items down too. I mean, he's not a banger, but I'm more optimistic about Marshall's prospects now than I was before tonight.

PJ Hairston and McAdoo also both impressed me, unfortunately. I didn't realize Hairston had that much range, but he nailed one or two NBA threes. McAdoo seemed to have great hands and I could see him having a Henson-like role. Not sure what Roy is going to do if Zeller and Henson both come back, but I guess it's a good problem for him to have (although I think Henson is gone).

Kabongo and Teague definitely both had great speed, but were out of control a lot of the time. Again, hard to say if it's simply because it was an All-Star game, but Quinn seemed to have better control of the situation. I mean, Austin seemed out of control in certain scenarios as well...so...

The game had a record attendance of over 19,000. People were getting restless with the tipoff though as they literally added 10 minutes after it was supposed to start for some reason and it seemed like they were warming up forever, including after the national anthem (game go over on ESPN before it?). Seemed like the refs also called lots of fouls for an All-Star game and I actually thought more defense was played than I expected (at least, it seemed like players would often foul when the opposing team had a breakaway dunk).

Brad Beal also stood out for me...as well as Kyle Wiltjer. Kentucky is going to be really good next season.

Reisen
03-31-2011, 01:38 AM
added 10 minutes after it was supposed to start for some reason and it seemed like they were warming up forever, including after the national anthem (game go over on ESPN before it?).

Yes, the Knicks-Nets game. Almost went to overtime, too.

Phoenix22
03-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but at the 6:23 mark Marshall makes what might be the best move I've seen a Plumlee make. Being the younger brother just might give him motivation. Color me a fan.

licc85
03-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but at the 6:23 mark Marshall makes what might be the best move I've seen a Plumlee make. Being the younger brother just might give him motivation. Color me a fan.

the most impressive part about it was that he faked his man, anticipated the help, and went up and under to score on a hard double team. That's a smart post move. Unfortunately, he seems to have the plumlee hands, he couldn't grab the ball in middle of traffic even when he was in the best position to rebound it sometimes.

Phoenix22
03-31-2011, 02:29 AM
the most impressive part about it was that he faked his man, anticipated the help, and went up and under to score on a hard double team. That's a smart post move. Unfortunately, he seems to have the plumlee hands, he couldn't grab the ball in middle of traffic even when he was in the best position to rebound it sometimes.

I agree he had some Plumlee hands. Can we get them all some stick'em? But seriously, he gave a ton more tonight then I had heard.

That being said, I don't know if I saw a more impressive player in this game then Cook. I'm already looking forward to next year. Lets Go Duke! (still getting over the loss).

Saratoga2
03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
There were a lot of impressive kids in the game last night with Kentucky, UNC and Ohio State really getting some good performers. Asw far as the Duke kids play was concerned, I agree with much of what has been said.

Rivers: With his father in the audience, I suspect Austin really wanted to shine. He did display excellent dribbling skills and a cross over move that will excite. I also think he pressed too much and his shot was not that outstanding. He size and agility are very good for a shooting guard and he can utilize his skills under coach K's guidance and be a top notch college player this coming season.

Cook: Quin is a small and quick guard with excellent athletic skills. We know how valuable a player like that can be when we watch VCU in the tournament. Quin was impressive with his quickness, judgment and ability to get to the basket. It will be a real competition for PG at Duke next season. He is much better than I expected after watching him play at Cameron earlier this season.

Plumlee (MPIII): Marshall did look a lot like Mason and Miles for that matter. He is athletic and may be stronger coming in than his brothers were, but he still has work to do there. He has good ability and should get reasonable PT this coming season. Big men take time to learn defense, so that will be a challenge for him as well.

MCFinARL
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Austin Rivers was actually playing for the West in the McDonald's game, not the East (go figure--I guess there weren't enough players who were actually from the West), so he did not help the East team win. Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee, however, did make solid contributions to the East's win.:)

Jackson
03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
After sleeping on it, I wanted to reiterate how impressed I was with Quinn Cook. He looked to be the best guard on the court. I don't understand why he didn't get more mention for MVP. I haven't seen a boxscore, but he had about 15 points, at least 4 assists, and looked like he got fouled at least twice when he drove and shot, that were no calls (lots of those last night). A back court with him and Austin is exciting. Maybe this should be in the Quinn Cook thread, but what a great game for him last night.

Starter
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Just got back from the game at the United Center, and to me, it looked like Austin was hurt in the second half. He kept shaking his hand and looking almost in pain on defense, but on offense he seemed fine dribbling the ball. Not sure what it was about, but definitely looked like something was off. Austin displayed a super fast first step, but also was out of control on certain situations. It's an All-Star game so it's hard to judge, but it did seem like he forced certain situations when it just wasn't there. However, I don't think at Duke it will simply be iso Austin all game and Coach K will certainly know how to utilize his strengths. He certainly displayed good range on his jump shot and some nice dribbling skills. Austin also brought the ball up a fair amount and maybe Coach K will utilize him as a PG in certain situations much like Scheyer was used - steady, set up the offense, don't make mistakes. Although I think he's probably best utilized off the ball.

Definitely Cook impressed more than expected. He was a lot faster than anticipated, especially since he's coming off the injury. Had some nice moves to the rack and some quality passes. I definitely think we have a good PG for the future in Cook and I could see him potentially starting over Curry by the end of the season (assuming Kyrie is gone, of course).

Marshall also showed some nice skills that perhaps I didn't expect. Seems like a lot of posters on here maybe shortchanging him and think he can't contribute anything next season and should redshirt, but if he hits the weight room this summer a la Kelly, he can certainly contribute. He has good athleticism (although I realize that isn't everything; otherwise, Olek would have started) and even displayed a nice post move. He also seemed to run the court very well for a big man. The question marks are post defense and traffic rebounding, but with his supposed hard work ethic, I've got to believe in time he'll get those items down too. I mean, he's not a banger, but I'm more optimistic about Marshall's prospects now than I was before tonight.

PJ Hairston and McAdoo also both impressed me, unfortunately. I didn't realize Hairston had that much range, but he nailed one or two NBA threes. McAdoo seemed to have great hands and I could see him having a Henson-like role. Not sure what Roy is going to do if Zeller and Henson both come back, but I guess it's a good problem for him to have (although I think Henson is gone).

Kabongo and Teague definitely both had great speed, but were out of control a lot of the time. Again, hard to say if it's simply because it was an All-Star game, but Quinn seemed to have better control of the situation. I mean, Austin seemed out of control in certain scenarios as well...so...

The game had a record attendance of over 19,000. People were getting restless with the tipoff though as they literally added 10 minutes after it was supposed to start for some reason and it seemed like they were warming up forever, including after the national anthem (game go over on ESPN before it?). Seemed like the refs also called lots of fouls for an All-Star game and I actually thought more defense was played than I expected (at least, it seemed like players would often foul when the opposing team had a breakaway dunk).

Brad Beal also stood out for me...as well as Kyle Wiltjer. Kentucky is going to be really good next season.

Thanks for the report. I'm with you on almost everything here, though I think Kabongo and Teague are going to be money players on the next level. I've seen Kabongo a few times -- he was amazing beating St. Pat's last year, then was abysmal two straight days at this year's Primetime Shootout. But when he's attacking, he definitely has the goods.

Listen, this isn't a slight to Tyler Thornton, who puts out maximum effort, but anyone who thinks he plays over Cook isn't seeing things for how they are. Cook is a legit, at least three-year talent at the point-guard position. He looks very skilled and smooth, finishes well, and he'll start by the latest his first game sophomore year. And the thing about relatively serious knee injuries -- this is especially true for baseball, but applies in every sport -- you can't judge someone based on the first year. The fact that he's getting that recovery year out of the way before he even gets to Duke is tremendous; he'll get better and better. (And he STILL put up big HS numbers this year for a team with a bulls-eye on it)

I was impressed by Marshall Plumlee too. He looks a lot more comfortable than I expected, having never seen him live and being aware of his less-than-impressive HS stat line. I still don't think he plays much at all right off the bat, but for someone generally assumed to be a project, he looks like he has a very good chance of being a solid contributor sooner rather than later -- maybe even by his second year.

roywhite
03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Austin Rivers was actually playing for the West in the McDonald's game, not the East (go figure--I guess there weren't enough players who were actually from the West), so he did not help the East team win. Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee, however, did make solid contributions to the East's win.:)

Yeah, the announcers commented on this.

Wiltjer from Oregon is going to Kentucky
Nash from Texas is going to Ok. State
Kabongo (who is actually from Toronto CN) of Findlay Prep in NV is going to TX

Other than that, none of the other 24 selectees were from the west, and no commitments at all for Pac-10 schools. Kind of strange.....you would think California would have produced at least 1 or 2 players.

TampaDuke
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm with you on almost everything here, though I think Kabongo and Teague are going to be money players on the next level. I've seen Kabongo a few times -- he was amazing beating St. Pat's last year, then was abysmal two straight days at this year's Primetime Shootout. But when he's attacking, he definitely has the goods.

For me (watching on TV), Kabongo really stood out with his speed/handle. True, he got out of control too often, but assuming that's a result of the all-star game format and not playing with his teammates too much, he could really be a game-changer. He just seemed to be moving at a different speed than everybody else. Combine that with the fact that he also seemed to be looking to pass rather than score and I'd venture Texas was thanking the heavens he decided to stay committed!

Other than Kabongo, Cook really impressed. Hadn't seen much of him so I didn't have any true expectations, but I slept a little easier last night knowing that we're still really good at PG with him and Thornton, even if Kyrie leaves.

dukebluesincebirth
03-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know if there will be a replay of the game or anyway to watch it online? I had to fall asleep shortly after halftime (why such a late start time?). As far as the first half, I loved the crossover/reverse layup from Austin and at one point Cook hit a long 3 for the East. The West then inbounded to Austin who dribbled down and pulled up for a long 3. Then as some of you have said, it looked like Austin was pressing a little too hard, nothing concerning though. As a posted on the Quin Cook thread the other day I have been BIG on him from day one and I still am. He will be very good.

I hate to have to add this, but in my total observance of the first half I would probably say I was most impressed with McAdoo. He's as long and athletic as Henson but smoother, more agile, and looks to have a very nice stroke all the way out to the 3 point line. I think he's probably already stronger than Henson also. He worries me.

All in all, I'm very happy with our class and still excited to see Mr. Gbinije play along with these guys. Having a great recruiting class really helps with getting past this season and looking forward to next year!

Reilly
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Is there a boxscore of the game anywhere?

texas
03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
I was excited to see all those guys playing on the same floor. Kabongo showed flashes of his upside with quickness and court vision. Great to see Doc and family there for Austin. Funny to think about Austin as a rapper . . . straight outta winter park :cool:

As for the lack of players from the west, I agree with one announcer who said last night that Nick Johnson from Findlay Prep (and Arizona) should have been in the game. That kid has some serious athleticism and should be a pretty solid next year at Arizona.

lotusland
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a replay of the game or anyway to watch it online? I had to fall asleep shortly after halftime (why such a late start time?). As far as the first half, I loved the crossover/reverse layup from Austin and at one point Cook hit a long 3 for the East. The West then inbounded to Austin who dribbled down and pulled up for a long 3. Then as some of you have said, it looked like Austin was pressing a little too hard, nothing concerning though. As a posted on the Quin Cook thread the other day I have been BIG on him from day one and I still am. He will be very good.

I hate to have to add this, but in my total observance of the first half I would probably say I was most impressed with McAdoo. He's as long and athletic as Henson but smoother, more agile, and looks to have a very nice stroke all the way out to the 3 point line. I think he's probably already stronger than Henson also. He worries me.

All in all, I'm very happy with our class and still excited to see Mr. Gbinije play along with these guys. Having a great recruiting class really helps with getting past this season and looking forward to next year!

You can watch a replay on ESPN3. To be honest I tried to watch but fell asleep with my laptop in my lap. Typical All-star game. I don't think you can really tell anything more from watching them than a highlight video. I certainly wouldn't try to sit through it again...

yancem
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone know why Quincy Miller wasn't selected for the McD game? Was he a 5th year guy?

Scheyer All Day
03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
"Rivers: With his father in the audience, I suspect Austin really wanted to shine. He did display excellent dribbling skills and a cross over move that will excite. I also think he pressed too much and his shot was not that outstanding. He size and agility are very good for a shooting guard and he can utilize his skills under coach K's guidance and be a top notch college player this coming season"

One thing that noone has really talked about in regards to the 40% from 3 off night from Austin is the fact that ALL of his shots were from the NBA line. If he were to take a couples steps forward, we might have seen his go 5-7...who knows. Same with Quinn. They were drilling them from 25ft out without hesitation. Austin shot is so pure. Very awkward stroke but he has perfected it and Quinn is a lazer beam. I think had he not been hurt and had surgery, he is much higher than #39 in top 100. That kid took over the game. You move these kids up to 21ft and I think Andre and Seth better watch out. I like them that much. I know its an All Star game but you cant teach speed. Our backcourt next year has the chance to be the best that Duke has ever had in our programs history. I understand that this is a bold statement but if someone can tell me when we have had depth better than Kyrie, Austin, Seth, Dre, Quinn, and Tyler....Im all ears.

dcar1985
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Anyone know why Quincy Miller wasn't selected for the McD game? Was he a 5th year guy?

Tore his ACL early in the season....shoulda still been selected IMO

throatybeard
03-31-2011, 01:19 PM
One notices Austin Rivers wears #25, as did his father before him.

Not at Duke he's not, though. Because it's retired for Art Heyman. Dang, we're running out of numbers. Especially if either of the two presently under discussion go up there.

I didn't notice what #s Cook and MP III were wearing. It was a 9-inch screen on an airplane.

Jersey numbers are always the most interesting aspect of an incoming class, to me.

Duvall
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Not at Duke he's not, though. Because it's retired for Art Heyman. Dang, we're running out of numbers. Especially if either of the two presently under discussion go up there.

I didn't notice what #s Cook and MP III were wearing. It was a 9-inch screen on an airplane.

#2 and #40, as I recall. Not sure those were their regular season numbers, though.

Reilly
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Jersey numbers are always the most interesting aspect of an incoming class, to me.

One of my all-time favorite Duke quotes. Will Avery, when asked about wearing Jeff Capel's number: "Capel's gone."

markbdevil
03-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Cook wore #2 and MP3 wore #40 this year in high school. Can't remember the last #40 for Duke. I think I read somewhere Rivers wants to wear #0, the first at Duke.

Reilly
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/10/14/will-coach-k-let-rivers-wear-zero/

Duke: A Dynasty
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
I am preety sure we discussed River's number already in his recruiting thread. He wanted 0 and people were saying we couldnt do Agent Zero because of Arenas (when trying to come up with a nickname for Rivers)

Devil's Advocate
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Is there a boxscore of the game anywhere?

http://hoopniks.com/2011-mcdonalds-all-american-game-box-score

No Quinn?!

ajgoodfella7
03-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Rivers has previously stated that he will wear #0 in college, assuming Coach allows him I guess.

Edit: Just saw that Reilly had already posted it.

03-31-2011, 09:18 PM

No Quinn?!

Its ok though there are two Marshall Plumlee's

NSDukeFan
04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Its ok though there are two Marshall Plumlee's

That's great. We get to have at least 2 Plumlees up front for the next four years?

yancem
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM

No Quinn?!

Seriously, no one has put out an actual readable box score! Trying to read that gave me a headache. I can't believe that espn dedicates so much coverage to the event but can't take the time to post the box score.

SCMatt33
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Seriously, no one has put out an actual readable box score! Trying to read that gave me a headache. I can't believe that espn dedicates so much coverage to the event but can't take the time to post the box score.

Here is the official box score from the McD's AA website (http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011/2011_Boys_Game.pdf). Unfortunately, the official one has the same problem as the other one (two Plumlees, no Cook). I believe though that the stats are correct and there is simply a problem matching up names and numbers. The "real" Plumlee is #40 at the bottom, not the starter, and the real Cook is the first "Chane Behanan," number 2 in the starting lineup

MChambers
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
That's great. We get to have at least 2 Plumlees up front for the next four years?

Just have to hope we signed the right Marshall Plumlee. Or do we have MP3A and MP3B?

04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Not sure where to put this so its in here and on the Next Year thread.

Article today on ESPN.com about "What we learned from McDonalds AA game". Marshall Plumlee described as very vocal and as "the most polarizing Plumlee".

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6276418

Plumlee will hold his own
"Marshall Plumlee (Warsaw, Ind./Christ School) is the last Plumlee in a long line of hoopers on the men's side of the family. He's also the most polarizing Plumlee, as opinions vary widely on how good he'll be at Duke and beyond. Plumlee improved his stock during the McDonald's practices, and his length, height and continually developing skills will translate at Duke. He has run his own race, and he wasn't out of place in Chicago."

Speak up, fellas
"Communication is a skill on the court that doesn't receive many mentions, but it's vital to being a good teammate and defensive player. Plumlee talks as much as any big in the game, followed closely by Indiana signee Cody Zeller (Washington, Ind./Washington)."

Neals384
04-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Several posters have mentioned that Marshall has "Plumlee hands". I agree, there must have been four or five times the ball bounced off his hands. I don't know if it was an optical illusion, but his hands actually looked really small to me.

Kedsy
04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Several posters have mentioned that Marshall has "Plumlee hands". I agree, there must have been four or five times the ball bounced off his hands. I don't know if it was an optical illusion, but his hands actually looked really small to me.

They were big enough to pull off some excellent dunks in the dunk contest.

mattman91
04-02-2011, 02:30 PM

I would rather him be able to catch a pass in the post and go up and score, or grab a rebound or two than have a few excellent dunks in a dunk contest that he didn't even win.

Troublemaker
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Next season for Duke will seem to be very much about the basketball education of the freshmen. At least it will be a key factor in the success or lack thereof.

Austin will have to learn to find the right balance between doing it himself and creating for teammates and playing within a team concept. This will be, by far, the most important key to next season's team.

Quinn will have to learn to play under control, to make the simple pass and shot instead of the difficult ones. He might be a turnover machine as a freshman; not a big deal, of course, as lots of freshman point guards are. There's also a chance, due to these tendencies, that he won't be part of the regular rotation. I could easily see Curry and Thornton being ahead of him at PG. We'll see what happens.

Marshall will have to put on some pounds. I expect a learning year from him, much like Miles his freshman season. Redshirt possibility.

Not that familiar with Gbinije but, given his top 25-ish ranking, I would expect something like Andre Dawkins' freshman season. Which would be fine/good.

Troublemaker
04-02-2011, 02:44 PM
UNC might be scary next season. McAdoo appears to be a stud and Hairston might be a very good shooter off the bench.

If Henson, Zeller, and Barnes all stay, UNC will be take-them-against-the-field great. (Unless Knight and Jones from UK somehow return as well).

If only Henson leaves, UNC will still be the best team. McAdoo will slot right into the starting lineup in his place, and the Heels would still have the best starting five in the country. They would have frontcourt depth weakness under this scenario, though. But every team has weaknesses.

Ideally, both Henson and Zeller leave. That's what I'm rooting for, and if that happens, UNC will "only" be a top 15 team. McAdoo would feel very lonely in the frontcourt.

Barnes is staying, I think. He has the type of mindset that makes him willing to pass up being a top 5 draft pick for another crack at a Final Four and national championship. That, among other reasons, is why he was such a coveted recruit.

yancem
04-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Yeah but if you looked carefully when he was lining up his dunks, he was fidgeting with the ball trying to cusp it between his hand and forearm instead of out right palming it.

yancem
04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
UNC might be scary next season. McAdoo appears to be a stud and Hairston might be a very good shooter off the bench.

If Henson, Zeller, and Barnes all stay, UNC will be take-them-against-the-field great. (Unless Knight and Jones from UK somehow return as well).

If only Henson leaves, UNC will still be the best team. McAdoo will slot right into the starting lineup in his place, and the Heels would still have the best starting five in the country. They would have frontcourt depth weakness under this scenario, though. But every team has weaknesses.

Ideally, both Henson and Zeller leave. That's what I'm rooting for, and if that happens, UNC will "only" be a top 15 team. McAdoo would feel very lonely in the frontcourt.

Barnes is staying, I think. He has the type of mindset that makes him willing to pass up being a top 5 draft pick for another crack at a Final Four and national championship. That, among other reasons, is why he was such a coveted recruit.

A lot of people seem to have this impression but during the recruiting process both him and his mother seemed more interested the pro game than the college one. I remember some comments about not really knowing the colleges or the rivalries that well and how he mostly watched nba games.

Not saying that it doesn't mean he won't stick around but could be an indicator that he's more interested in winning world championships than college championships.

Kedsy
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I would rather him be able to catch a pass in the post and go up and score, or grab a rebound or two than have a few excellent dunks in a dunk contest that he didn't even win.

And you can tell whether or not he can do those things from watching one all-star game? Wow, you're good.

My post was in response to someone who said he had small hands.

mattman91
04-02-2011, 04:28 PM
And you can tell whether or not he can do those things from watching one all-star game? Wow, you're good.

My post was in response to someone who said he had small hands.

It's not about what I have seen from all-star games such as the McDonalds game, I'm talking about his game in generall. I have seen him play a few times in person (I live about an hour from Christ School), so my observations are first hand. I'm not saying he won't improve on this, the kid is 17 years old. I'm looking forward to watching Marshall develop as a player, and I think once he grows into his body he will be a great player for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Obn3d4SqE

Atleast he isn't this guy^.

gumbomoop
04-02-2011, 06:56 PM
If only Henson leaves, UNC will still be the best team. McAdoo will slot right into the starting lineup in his place, and the Heels would still have the best starting five in the country. They would have frontcourt depth weakness under this scenario, though.

I agree with you on UNC as still preseason #1, but this - I think unlikely, but certainly possible - scenario portends [pun intended] big things for Barnes: he'd have to spend considerable time inside, as the starting 3 but frequent 4. Justin Watts is not a 20 mpg 4.

Barnes is certainly capable of playing the 4, as he could be a strong rebounder. Doesn't seem to be his preference, nor, clearly, his NBA future.

Possibly Barnes would insist that Bullock and Hairston play inside. I guess that's a sarcastic comment, but where Barnes is concerned, I'm not entirely sure.

shoutingncu
04-03-2011, 12:46 AM
(Unless Knight and Jones from UK somehow return as well).

I said this to my Kentucky friend as a condolence after tonight (that they could be pre-season #1 if the guys return), and he replied that they'll have no big men. I know Zoubek Lite graduates (Harrelson), but am unfamiliar with anyone else. Would they not have assumed Kanter was one and done?

Greg_Newton
04-03-2011, 03:47 AM
I said this to my Kentucky friend as a condolence after tonight (that they could be pre-season #1 if the guys return), and he replied that they'll have no big men. I know Zoubek Lite graduates (Harrelson), but am unfamiliar with anyone else. Would they not have assumed Kanter was one and done?

Eh, that'll be a strength if anything, IMO. A starting frontcourt of Davis and Wiltjer will be one of the best in the country, and they'll be able to bring a senior Eloy Vargas off the bench and bump Gilchrist down to the 4 if necessary. That's arguably more post depth than they had this year.

Throw in Teague, Lamb and Gilchrist on the perimeter along with a senior Liggins and Miller, and they'll be pretty dangerous.

nashd808
04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
This boosted my confidence about the play of MP3, I know its not much but I like the fact that its against Anthony Davis. Pay close attention from the 1:15 mark. I really think he will be a huge factor next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmmrjzavng

flyingdutchdevil
04-15-2012, 03:44 PM
This boosted my confidence about the play of MP3, I know its not much but I like the fact that its against Anthony Davis. Pay close attention from the 1:15 mark. I really think he will be a huge factor next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmmrjzavng

Ummm...yeah. I'm sure MP3 will be a contributor next year, but I'm not going to take anything from one play. It's the exact same thing as watching high school highlight reels.