PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose Arrested

mkline09
03-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Just saw this on ESPN

Things not going well for old Jalen. Hope K's comments didnt' send him over the edge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6271516

4decadedukie
03-30-2011, 07:28 AM
I hope the members of this community -- and, more critically, divine higher powers -- will forgive my pettiness and non-compassion. However, given Rose's recent self-serving and myopic anti-Duke statements in the Fab Five, I hope he receives the FULL penalties accorded to this crime (if he is legitimately found guilty).

miramar
03-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I expect he'll blame it on Grant Hill.

weezie
03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
What goes around comes around....

rthomas
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Does this deserve comment or a thread? no.

roywhite
03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Uh oh....

Jalen, better get a smart lawyer.
Maybe a Dukie?

CPDUKEGUY24
03-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Just saw this on ESPN

Things not going well for old Jalen. Hope K's comments didnt' send him over the edge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6271516

Looks like this happened March 11...before the Fab Five was even released. Looks like espn waited to drop this story for some reason:confused:

OldPhiKap
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Karma, she is a beotch.

superdave
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I think this is more about Espn than Rose. They are no longer a news organization, they are an entertainment org like the WWE or People mag. They dont just report the news, they manufacture stories, hide stories and prolong stories to their benefit.

How many times am I supposed to get sucked into them reporting what Andy Katz tweeted (woah, he tweeted a major scoop!?) or how Jerry Rice did on Dancing with the Stars or Mike Golic did on All My Children before I swear off SportsCenter forever? I think I'll stick to EspnNews and game telecasts from here on out.

Super "Shark, consider yourself jumped" Dave

CameronBlue
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Does this deserve comment or a thread? no.

Agreed. Criticize Rose and his documentary for its lack of perspective and blatant misrepresentation of the facts, it's deserved. To revel in his misfortune is contemptuous, petty and, one would think, beneath the dignity of this board. Let's hope the DD charge is not a sign of a greater problem with substance abuse.

mgtr
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Didn't JJ get a DUI shortly after graduation? Can happen to anyone (almost).

Acymetric
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Agreed. Criticize Rose and his documentary for its lack of perspective and blatant misrepresentation of the facts, it's deserved. To revel in his misfortune is contemptuous, petty and, one would think, beneath the dignity of this board. Let's hope the DD charge is not a sign of a greater problem with substance abuse.

I would hardly call getting a DUI "misfortune."

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this, particularly whether ESPN will do anything about it if he gets convicted.

sagegrouse
03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Didn't JJ get a DUI shortly after graduation? Can happen to anyone (almost).

There was an incident with Bobby Hurley in Durham after school was out, IIRC (and there is always a first time). K and family were on the Outer Banks, and K returned to help out.

sagegrouse

Acymetric
03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
There was an incident with Bobby Hurley in Durham after school was out, IIRC (and there is always a first time). K and family were on the Outer Banks, and K returned to help out.

sagegrouse

JJ definitely had an incident right after he graduated. I believe he tried to avoid a checkpoint.

mkline09
03-30-2011, 09:53 AM

That was my only reason for posting not to criticise Rose personally, but to hope that as you said this isn't a sign of a more serious problem brought to light by recent criticism.

Bojangles4Eva
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
First of, it doesn't say what his BAC was in that article. If it were something low, like the amount one could get after 1-2 beers, then people should be cutting him some slack, cause that situation could happen to anyone. Who here has driven after having a 1-2 drinks after work, after a game, after a party, etc when your clearly not drunk, but your BAC may be at the limit? And yes, even our beloved JJ was not immune to this, so despite how some feel about Jalen after his comments, I would advise people not to play the holier than thou card...

roywhite
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
First of, it doesn't say what his BAC was in that article. If it were something low, like the amount one could get after 1-2 beers, then people should be cutting him some slack, cause that situation could happen to anyone. Who here has driven after having a 1-2 drinks after work, after a game, after a party, etc when your clearly not drunk, but your BAC may be at the limit? And yes, even our beloved JJ was not immune to this, so despite how some feel about Jalen after his comments, I would advise people not to play the holier than thou card...

Sorry, when Jalen makes comments about Duke that several Duke players and Coach K found "insulting" (Coach K's word), I don't feel any great need to give him some sort of benefit of the doubt.

He's no friend of ours.

Acymetric
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Unless you're shotgunning them back to back and then immediately hopping into a car 1-2 drinks shouldn't put you over the limit.

devil84
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
There isn't much more to be said on this that would be appropriate for this board.

unexpected
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
I saw this posted on ESPN today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/post/_/id/8/roses-concealment-compromises-espn

Was going to post this in the Jalen Rose thread, but it's closed. I'm sure everyone + mods would appreciate it if we just kept this one strictly on-topic!

I think it's pretty stand-up for ESPN to post this- they certainly didn't have to. Jalen apparently didn't tell ESPN until it was about to be aired by a local Detroit TV station.

roywhite
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Proving yet again that Jalen ain't that bright. Do you REALLY think you can keep a DUI quiet when your a national celeb?

And, FWIW, I think ESPN is posting it to cover its own fanny. JMHO.

Coach Smith, El Deano himself, was able to keep quiet a Phil Ford DUI that happened in Michigan; I believe it was in 1997. Then Phil had DUI #2 that happened in North Carolina, and the first offense finally came to light. Just a little postscript in Tarheel history.

Somehow, I don't mind seeing both the Worldwide Leader and Jalen look bad on this one.

moonpie23
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
it sure would have looked bad if espn had been forced to run jalen's mugshot alongside the release of his "selfumentary"

ncexnyc
03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
I know some on this board want their pound of flesh, but how about taking the high road and letting this slide without further comment.

moonpie23
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
i think it's absolutely relevant that ESPN was sitting on a story about the producer of a highly touted "documentary" for timing purposes.

ESPN had no qualms about bringing charles barkley's indiscretion to light.

this is more about ESPN's "integrity" more than jalen's gaffe...

"do you think that's funny?"
"well it sure as **** aint sad!"

Newton_14
03-31-2011, 10:24 PM
The topic up for discussion is Jalen's decision to not inform his employer of the arrest, and how ESPN has handled the situation up to now, and how ESPN ultimately decides to handle this when all is said and done.

Please stay on that topic and do not turn this into another "bashing Jalen Rose" thread.

Thanks

Cameron
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Luckily, Uncle Toms are excessively obedient and servile. Good thing we don't have to worry about this happening at Duke.