PDA

View Full Version : Stilman White commits to UNC

Bluedog
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
... according to Dave Telep. Who? You ask. A PG from Wilmington, north Carolina in the class of 2011. He plans to play one year, then go on his two year Mormon mission, then return to UNC for three more years. Sorry on my phone and linking not working so well.

linky (http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=5095260)

Oops, spelled his name incorrectly on the topic title. Should have one L.

Duvall
03-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I liked Barcelona as much as the next guy, but isn't he a little old for the ACC?

Cell-R
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
... according to Dave Telep. Who? You ask. A PG from Wilmington, north Carolina in the class of 2011. He plans to play one year, then go on his two year Mormon mission, then return to UNC for three more years. Sorry on my phone and linking not working so well.

linky (http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=5095260)

Oops, spelled his name incorrectly on the topic title. Should have one L.

No way! My friend that goes to Hoggard was telling me about that! I had no idea he was going to UNC though... He played against my high school (New Bern) last year and hit seven or eight threes on us. Absurd.

Nugget
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Seems like a smart play by Roy. Gives him insurance for next year's backup for Marshall with Drew's transfer and in case of injury to Strickland, while leaving plenty of time to recruit over White while he's on his mission. And, if all else fails, will have a 23-24 year old veteran 4-5 years from now.

brevity
03-30-2011, 02:41 AM
I liked Barcelona as much as the next guy, but isn't he a little old for the ACC?

I appreciate the reference (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001775/), but I don't see the Cameron Crazies taunting this guy with Metropolitan and The Last Days of Disco jokes.

mkline09
03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
I appreciate the reference (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001775/), but I don't see the Cameron Crazies taunting this guy with Metropolitan and The Last Days of Disco jokes.

He is a young kid it is quite possible he may only have a rented tuxedo.

UrinalCake
03-30-2011, 07:35 AM
No way! My friend that goes to Hoggard was telling me about that!

Are you friends with Harry Potter?

Indoor66
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
He is a young kid it is quite possible he may only have a rented tuxedo.

He'll fit in real well with Roy's soft shoe routine.

Huh?
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, Roy must not trust Strickland at the point. This kid is a good high school player, but he is more of a scorer than a PG. Wonder if Roy even has seen him play? Yawn at this pickup, he would be a good walk-on.

UrinalCake
03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
This seems like a pretty nice situation for us. He'll tie up a scholarship for four years, and while he's gone on his mission they can't really bring in another potential four-year guy since he'll be coming back. I'm as pleased as I am baffled by why UNC would pick up this guy. They seemed to do fine with Marshal playing heavy minutes and Strickland/McDonald backing him up, plus they've got a big-time recruit coming in 2012.

Duvall
03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, Roy must not trust Strickland at the point. This kid is a good high school player, but he is more of a scorer than a PG. Wonder if Roy even has seen him play? Yawn at this pickup, he would be a good walk-on.

I don't think this is a sign of a lack of trust in Strickland, just a recognition that UNC needs more than one backup PG next year in case of injury. Unlikely that White sees the floor outside of garbage time.

roywhite
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think this is a sign of a lack of trust in Strickland, just a recognition that UNC needs more than one backup PG next year in case of injury. Unlikely that White sees the floor outside of garbage time.

Coach K saw enough reason to give Andre Buckner a scholarship a while back.

Situations can be different, but I don't see much of a downside for the Heels here.

SupaDave
03-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Coach K saw enough reason to give Andre Buckner a scholarship a while back.

Situations can be different, but I don't see much of a downside for the Heels here.

And don't forget to include the fact that Roy is also kinda scholarship rich at this point. He actually needs MORE kids...

COYS
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM

I think it shows that Roy is probably giving up on relying on Strickland as a legitimate point guard, which is probably best for the team and for Strickland. He is fast as long as he only has to go in a straight line, but, at this stage, he shows no sign of developing the court vision or discipline necessary to quarterback the offense.

MChambers
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm thinking Stilman White just thinks this is a stepping stone to transferring to UCLA.

BD80
03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking Stilman White just thinks this is a stepping stone to transferring to UCLA.

Ba-zinga

On the other hand, maybe this is ol' roy's counterpunch: "OK Howland, go ahead -let's see if you'll enroll this one when he figures out I'm full of crap!"

Aw shucks, ol' roy would say "doo-doo" instead of "crap," wouldn't he?