PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: Coach K and Jay Williams discussing Duke vs Arizona and Fab Five

cbnaylor
03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
This podcast is about 16 min long but it's great to hear Coach K's views on the outcome of Duke's season, Derrick Williams, and the Fab Five. Enjoy

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/news/story?id=6270285

Chitowndevil
03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
This podcast is about 16 min long but it's great to hear Coach K's views on the outcome of Duke's season, Derrick Williams, and the Fab Five. Enjoy

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/news/story?id=6270285

For those that aren't aware, this was Chicago's ESPN 1000 this morning. It was a segment of a much larger period where they had Jay Williams on the show. Coach K calling in was meant as a nice surprise for Jay (he was introduced as "caller Mike from the northwest side") but turned into an interview in itself. Ironically the ONLY question K dodged was about Kyrie and the NBA draft, and that was asked by Jay himself!

The K segment was great, but Jay himself was just as impressive. He talked in amazing and moving detail about his accident, how he was lying on the pavement afterward and couldn't stop shouting "I threw it all away". He talked about lying in a hospital bed with pins in his knee and hips watching the Bulls draft Kirk Heinrich. We've probably all heard him say this before, but he emphasized that he will always consider K his coach in the most important game of all: life.

He also tells a great story about grocery shopping the night before his first Duke-Carolina game. He passed by a five year old girl in the store who he thought lost her mother, and she started absolutely wailing when he approached her, eventually yelling out, "I hate you, Jason Williams!". Jay was stunned, and even more so a moment later when her apologetic mother picked her up and said, "sorry, she's an avid Carolina fan". Jay: "But... she's five!"

The full podcast is available here:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/radio/archive?id=3095454

For my money, Jay (it's taken me almost this long to use Jay instead of Jason) Williams is the best to ever play at Duke. I won't bother listing all the accolades but I will say graduating in three years impresses me as much as anything else, especially given all he accomplished on the court. And while it's true he made a very bad decision, he's dealt with it as gracefully as one can and continues to be a great ambassador for our school. He's at or near the top of a very long list of players that I am proud to have seen wear DUKE on their jersey.

Needless to say I've been pretty down since Thursday. Most of it was knowing I will never see Kyle or Nolan, and quite possibly Kyrie, play for Duke again. Listening to this, though, made me remember how I smile every time I see Boozer, Deng, JJ, etc, playing in the NBA, or see Jay (both of them actually) on ESPN. It's one of my favorite parts of being a Duke fan: I can honestly say I'm proud of all our guys while they're wearing Duke jerseys, and of what they do after they take off that jersey.

bdeviled11
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
It appears Jalen Rose was arrested "earlier this month on suspicion of drunken driving." Isn't that kind of odd, that it just came out today?

aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-03-29/jalen-rose-faces-drunken-driving-charges-in-michigan?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec3_lnk1|52882

Sorry about the sloppy link.

dukeballer2294
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Jay Williams is a class act. I have been lucky enough to be associated with him the last few years. He has made a large impact on my life the way he, a college student at the time, remembered me by name time and time again into his chicago days. We have kept in contact briefly over the years and he still remains my favorite Duke player of all time.

For the record, i was around 10 when I first met him at the Wooden Awards and am 17 now.