PDA

View Full Version : Singer vs... Jesus?

Lord Ash
03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Found this article about basketball and religion, which focused on Duke, on CNNs front page. Not sure what to make of it... I didn't know about "protest" (not quite the right word, but...) prayer groups happening all week at Duke. Is this "news" down on campus, or a fringe group sort of thing?

Amid March Madness, some Christians decry sports worship (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/25/amid-march-madness-some-christians-decry-sports-worship/?hpt=C2)

rthomas
03-27-2011, 10:30 AM
That was supposed to be published 5 days from today.

Lord Ash
03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
That was supposed to be published 5 days from today.

First you complain about the mourning on the board, and then you post something like that, which makes me want to mourn? Come on man, you can't do that!

rthomas
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
First you complain about the mourning on the board, and then you post something like that, which makes me want to mourn? Come on man, you can't do that!

Sorry. I knew it couldn't be true.

hudlow
03-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Judge not...

JG Nothing
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Found this article about basketball and religion, which focused on Duke, on CNNs front page. Not sure what to make of it... I didn't know about "protest" (not quite the right word, but...) prayer groups happening all week at Duke. Is this "news" down on campus, or a fringe group sort of thing?

The new Duke ethic: "Work hard, pray hard."

pamtar
03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
IMHO, this article is bogus. There are countless ways that a level-headed Christian can benefit from mainstream sports. Across the country sports do far more good than bad.

It brings families together to watch games. It keeps youth out of trouble. It teaches valuable life lessons, many of which are Christian based. The list goes on. Seriously, just look at what basketball has done (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22786-quot-How-Duke-basketball-has-helped-me-fight-cancer-quot&highlight=fight+cancer) for Duke fans. Yeah, the rivalry rhetoric gets a little violent from time to time but so does the Old Testament.

I find it troublesome that all this Hoffman person wants to do is shine a negative light on a very positive aspect of our culture. BTW, based on the article I believe the groups at Duke seemed to be going about their events in a positive way.

CrazieDUMB
03-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Is it just me, or does Duke get way more than its fair share of media attention? Is it because of the basketball team? What is it about Duke that anything that goes on on our campus gets picked up?

rthomas
03-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Is it just me, or does Duke get way more than its fair share of media attention? Is it because of the basketball team? What is it about Duke that anything that goes on on our campus gets picked up?

Well, it is one of the top universities in the country.