PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for a Calipari-led team is like . . .

RepoMan
03-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I find myself undeniably rooting for Kentucky, which is undeniably repulsive, particulary with Calipari at the helm. Suspecting that many may find themselves in this same boat, I thought I'd see how we might complete the simile.

hsheffield
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
can you say Butler?

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm going to take a nice long shower tomorrow night....and wash my mouth out about a 1,000 times.

wilson
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm wholeheartedly rooting for Kentucky tomorrow too, and yes, it's gross, but the prospect of a Final Four appearance for them is really not all that bad when you think about it, since it will eventually be vacated anyway.

hurleyfor3
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't worry. Whatever he does will get vacated anyway.

diveonthefloor
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I find myself undeniably rooting for Kentucky, which is undeniably repulsive, particulary with Calipari at the helm. Suspecting that many may find themselves in this same boat, I thought I'd see how we might complete the simile.

Rooting for a Calipari-led team is like asking Don Corleone to babysit your children.

kmspeaks
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Agreed! But as I explained to my mom when she asked me how I pick who to cheer for; rule #1 is ABC. There are no exceptions!

Rogue
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
yes, UK over the holes,, and I dislike uconn so much, I'll be rooting for ZONA , I don't know them well enough to hate.. too many wolfies on the bench to dislike them too much lol..

GO Cats ( Az and Ky )

GO BUTLER over all.

DukeDevilDeb
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
It was easy to choose who to cheer for in the Butler-Florida game. All of us are now Bulldogs for the rest of the Final Four.

But my God, look at the choices in the next few games!

UConn/Arizona: The team that beat us in 1999 when we should have won or the team that beat us yesterday.

My pick: (gulp) UCONN (I hated being right).

UNC/Kentucky: How do you choose between your mortal enemy/whiner and one of the least honorable programs/coaches ever? I have only cheered for UNC once: in the 1993 championship game over the Fab Five. I hated myself for several years afterward and can't cheer for them again. But KENTUCKY/CALIPARI???? I think I turn off the TV.

And I'm behind Butler all the way in the Final Four...

Please, people, let's pray hard and try to be sure that the thieves, SAT cheaters, and Holes all get sent home.

BlueHeaven
03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Someone, maybe you, on another thread said that the best case scenario would be Kentucky winning and then immediately be stripped of their post season wins. That would really be ideal, but the stars would have to align properly by Monday for this plan to be successful. A Hobson's choice indeed. I have decided that Calipari is too dirty to root for, even against Carolina. I loathe Roy Williams and all things Carolina Blue, but, he's not quite as loathsome as Calipari. And they're in the ACC. And I'd hate to have those Big East lovers feel satisfied that they have a team in the FF and the ACC doesn't. This is a tough one, but I think I have to pull for Carolina and hope they lose in the semis.

moonpie23
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
i would give the nod to calhoun getting a third over roy getting a 3rd..
I'd pull for for cal getting his first. (cause it's gonna be vacated)

i would pull for anyone rather than unc...

weezie
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm in.

Going to rustle up my last bit of powers for the end of this season. :cool:

Bluedog
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm cheering for Kentucky tomorrow and it's not even a close decision...As much as it pains me to say. I'm hoping Butler wins it all, but Kansas would be fine with me too. I don't understand how Duke fans could be rooting for UNC in the NCAA tournament. Do you know how much pain and suffering we'd have to put up with if they win it all? I cannot risk that; they need to be eliminated IMMEDIATELY.

rsvman
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm cheering for Kentucky tomorrow and it's not even a close decision...As much as it pains me to say. I'm hoping Butler wins it all, but Kansas would be fine with me too. I don't understand how Duke fans could be rooting for UNC in the NCAA tournament. Do you know how much pain and suffering we'd have to put up with if they win it all? I cannot risk that; they need to be eliminated IMMEDIATELY.

Precisely. The only thing I would change is the last sentence: they need to be eliminated YESTERDAY.

El_Diablo
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe someone could add a poll with the following options:

Whom do you want to win the UNC-UK game?
-I want UK to win, and I live outside of NC.
-I want UK to win, and I live in NC.
-I want UNC to win, and I live outside of NC.
-I want UNC to win, and I live in NC.

I can't imagine any Duke fan in NC would pick UNC over UK, but I can see some non-NC residents doing it because they don't already have to put up with this nonsense on a daily basis.

TonyWR
03-26-2011, 11:18 PM

I can't imagine any Duke fan in NC would pick UNC over UK, but I can see some non-NC residents doing it because they don't already have to put up with this nonsense on a daily basis.

You are correct, if you are a Duke fan living in NC you don't ever pull for the tarholes, ever. The people on here saying they would don't live in NC and have to deal with their loud mouthed fans. I would root for the Taliban before Id ever pull for the holes. Period.

weezie
03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
You forgot to add:

I want to hit myself in the head with a frying pan instead of picking any of the above

Just for Duke fans, of course.

jkidd31
03-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Living in Northern Kentucky just south of downtown Cincinnati, there is no way I want UK winning.

It also irked me to see Arizona play like they did tonight.

Go Butler!!!!

El_Diablo
03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
You forgot to add:

I want to hit myself in the head with a frying pan instead of picking any of the above

Just for Duke fans, of course.

Of course, I think the majority of DBR members feel that way...but which one would make you hit your head harder to avoid seeing them advance?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I dont even think this is a hard choice tbh.

1) I will cheer hard for Kentucky to beat the hell outta unc.

2) I will cheer hard for Arizona to beat the hell outta uconn

3) I will cheer hard for Arizona to beat the hell outta Kentucky

4) I will cheer hard for Butler all the way and to beat Arizona

My reasoning?

1) I dispise unc with no end for my hatred and I dont hate UK but I would prefer not cheer for them for obvious reasons (Cal)

2) Arizona because they beat us. I always in every sport cheer for the team that beat mine because then you lost to the "best" if they win.

3) See 2 above. O and cause I do not like Cal.

4) Because I have emense respect for Butler players, staff, school and the way they run their program.

uh_no
03-27-2011, 03:00 AM

You do realize arizona already lost, right? :P

03-27-2011, 03:07 AM
You do realize arizona already lost, right? :P

Yes but when I posted I had not seen the scores for today. Now just replace Arizona with Uconn.

KenTankerous
03-27-2011, 05:48 AM
I grew up a Kentucky fan, once again live in Louisville (Congrats Bellarmine!) and I have a hard time rooting for a Calipayme coached UK team. He is just greasy.

And did you hear him on sportcenter tonight?

"We are going to try to outscore them. And they are going to try to outscore us."

Really Cal? Is that why they throw that orange thing toward that round thing with the strings on it?

Imma go welcome home the Knights...

brevity
03-27-2011, 06:23 AM
can you say Butler?

Butler doesn't play in the East Regional. Our choices are UNC and Kentucky.

If it helps, Lexington is far more devoted to basketball than Chapel Hill. Rupp Arena is more impressive than the Smith Center. The Wildcats jersey is a more palatable -- though not perfect -- shade of blue. And while you may not like John Calipari, he has the better tailor. (Of course, if having the best suit was the only criterion, we'd all be Villanova fans.)

Anyway, I'm not sure where the rule is written that requires every viewer to pick a side. Root for a good game, with the full knowledge that winner will still lose in April.

devildownunder
03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Butler doesn't play in the East Regional. Our choices are UNC and Kentucky.

If it helps, Lexington is far more devoted to basketball than Chapel Hill. Rupp Arena is more impressive than the Smith Center. The Wildcats jersey is a more palatable -- though not perfect -- shade of blue. And while you may not like John Calipari, he has the better tailor. (Of course, if having the best suit was the only criterion, we'd all be Villanova fans.)

Anyway, I'm not sure where the rule is written that requires every viewer to pick a side. Root for a good game, with the full knowledge that winner will still lose in April.

Agree that Jay Wright is clearly best dressed among d1 men's coaches.

As for cheering interests, here's my process, I wonder if it sounds familiar to anyone. Every year that Duke gets eliminated, if UNC is still playing I shift into ABC mode. This doesn't just mean cheering against whomever the holes are playing. It means viewing the entire tournament as a means to an end: the elimination of North Carolina. I cheered for OSU in their last game because I thought they'd be the toughest matchup for North Carolina. I'm hoping I was wrong. I cheer for other high seeds to come through in other brackets, wanting the path to a FF and NC for unc to be as brutal as possible. Nothing is more important.

Then once UNC is out, it gets into minor regional alliances and cheering the school of cute colleague, etc. At that point, there is precious little at stake and I am very relieved.

jammsb
03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
With all sorts of regret, I will be rooting for UNC. With all their faults, the basketball program has never been tainted with significant transgressions. On the other hand, any program associated with Calipari has. I suppose that one of the good things that will happen if Kentucky wins, will be that the victory will be vacated within a few years.

Jarhead
03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
With all sorts of regret, I will be rooting for UNC. With all their faults, the basketball program has never been tainted with significant transgressions.

Would you consider a point shaving scandal significant? It happened in the early sixties, and it led to the demise of the Dixie Classic. Doug Moe was a star at UNC, and he admitted to the point shaving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Moe) as his UNC career ended, according to Wikipedia.
Moe was a star player at the University of North Carolina. However, his collegiate career ended in disgrace when he admitted to being involved in a point shaving scandal.Some State players were also involved. IIRC, the scandal probably led to Frank Maguire's departure from UNC and the hiring of Dean Smith. By the way, there is no way I can root for Kentucky or UNC, so I will avoid all tournament activities involving either institution. Transport me up, Scotty.

wsb3
03-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Agreed! But as I explained to my mom when she asked me how I pick who to cheer for; rule #1 is ABC. There are no exceptions!

Agreed. There is no debate for me.

Lauderdevil
03-27-2011, 08:35 AM

This year, ABC has three meanings. My ranking:

1. Anyone but Calipari
2. Anyone but Connecticut (Calhoun is also an acceptable response)
3. The obvious

I honestly don't see how I could root for unethical programs like Kentucky or Connecticut over a clean, though annoying, Carolina program. And if you take all the Roy-isms that have graced these boards over the years, let's face it: they don't remotely compare to Cal or Calhoun. So: Carolina over Kentucky, and if they get there, Carolina over Connecticut.

Please, go Butler!

Devilsfan
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Can't wait to give out UK caps at work tomorrow. GTHC and when you get there Cal and Cal(houn) will be there to greet you.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Brandon Knight is an alum of my high school in Ft. Lauderdale so it's Kentucky over carolina 1000%. After that, it's Lets Go Butler!:cool:

ncexnyc
03-27-2011, 10:04 AM

You've got this 100% right! As I was leaving work on Thursday night, I left to a chorus of snide remarks and laughter. I had Friday off, but the heel win on Friday sealed the deal for my bet on which team would go further so now on Monday when I show for work I'll not only have to listen to more crap, but pay off the bet as well. A loss to KY will at least temper the trash talk.

Son of Mojo
03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I plan on being the biggest, baddest Kentucky fan for a day.......and it does make my stomach hurt, but it's a necessary evil. There is NO self respecting Duke fan that wants unc to advance to ANY round of the NCAAs, particularly this late where there's a title in the balance. My heart is with Butler (VCU has a piece, too) and I think my mind is with Kansas, but there's no way you can support the evil empire from chapelhole. Especially at this point.

DukeDevilDeb
03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I plan on being the biggest, baddest Kentucky fan for a day.......and it does make my stomach hurt, but it's a necessary evil. There is NO self respecting Duke fan that wants unc to advance to ANY round of the NCAAs, particularly this late where there's a title in the balance. My heart is with Butler (VCU has a piece, too) and I think my mind is with Kansas, but there's no way you can support the evil empire from chapelhole. Especially at this point.

I agree that Cal will ultimately have it vacated, so I'm cheering for
Kentucky too.

That said, Go Butler!

weezie
03-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Of course, I think the majority of DBR members feel that way...but which one would make you hit your head harder to avoid seeing them advance?

OK then, cough, gag, go ky.

Thud........:confused:

diveonthefloor
03-27-2011, 11:02 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRul0kqmV9rk3KDVs_TcyLZan3to1AVC sXJQi-PUhg7z2GXTer9

VS

http://www.reverseshot.com/files/images/pre-issue22/scarface2.jpg

BlueThru&Thru
03-27-2011, 11:26 AM

My reasoning?

1) I dispise unc with no end for my hatred and I dont hate UK but I would prefer not cheer for them for obvious reasons (Cal)

2) Arizona because they beat us. I always in every sport cheer for the team that beat mine because then you lost to the "best" if they win.

3) See 2 above. O and cause I do not like Cal.

4) Because I have emense respect for Butler players, staff, school and the way they run their program.

Hate to burst your bubble but Arizona lost hours ago. And by the way, not to be too picky, it's "despise" and "immense". Even we Tar Holes know that.

jipops
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Easy solution for me. I just won't watch it. There is zero chance of me being entertained and satisfied with the outcome because one of them has to win, and it will be UNC.

tommy
03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Preventative colonoscopy?

Makes you cringe but know you have to do it, but that doesn't make it any less unpleasant.

DukeDevilDeb
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
With all sorts of regret, I will be rooting for UNC. With all their faults, the basketball program has never been tainted with significant transgressions. On the other hand, any program associated with Calipari has. I suppose that one of the good things that will happen if Kentucky wins, will be that the victory will be vacated within a few years.

Their football program has done enough to make up for that. You are going to cheer for our ultimate rival? You are disgracing your Duke Blue!!!:mad:

DevilWearsPrada
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
ABC Put on a DUKE shirt today, and take your right hand and cover up the D, and your left hand and cover up the E, and you will have a UK shirt....just for today (just a couple hours).

and dont forget the CHEER GTHC GTH

Acymetric
03-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I honestly don't see how I could root for unethical programs like Kentucky or Connecticut over a clean, though annoying, Carolina program.

I know exactly how I could do it...I live in North Carolina. Being here after any kind of unc success is pretty much unbearable. The way its beat into the ground I think I would feel that way even as an impartial bystander, but as a Duke fan the suffering is tenfold, at least.

Of course, if unc loses the new rule becomes ABK (anyone but Kentucky...not as catchy but gets the point across I suppose).

hudlow
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Poking yourself in the eye to take your mind off your itching, burning hemorrhoids.

GO ABC!

GO DUKE!!!

DU82
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I cannot find myself rooting for either team or coach, so I must then resort to wishing that Ashley Judd is happy later tonight.

03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but Arizona lost hours ago. And by the way, not to be too picky, it's "despise" and "immense". Even we Tar Holes know that.

I take it you did not read my next post... I said to replace Arizona with Uconn.

- O and my bad on the spelling I just did not notice and I do not have spell check.

throatybeard
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
The only way I could ever see cheering for Carolina is if you're a Duke fan living in Kentucky or Cincinnati. And even then, Kentucky is really of no account to us, as great as a program as they are. We seldom play them. We don't have to deal with them constantly. I really don't care about them.

Krzyzewski currently has as many championships as Dean and Williams put together. I don't want Carolina winning another title, ever. Ever. Let me explain that a little. Ever.

Our fans' self-righteousness about Calipari has actually made me like the guy a little bit. Either way, I don't give a flying flip about Kentucky. Hopefully the Butler-VCU winner wins it all, but if Kentucky wins it all, I'm not rending my garments.

dukelifer
03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Easy solution for me. I just won't watch it. There is zero chance of me being entertained and satisfied with the outcome because one of them has to win, and it will be UNC.

I will not watch either. I also expect UNC to win- but this has been one strange tourney.

Lord Ash
03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Kentucky over UNC seven times a week, twice on Sunday if need be.

Then, as soon as the game ends, Kentucky out.

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought I was rooting for Kentucky in this one. I justified with things like 'At least Carolina runs a clean program, etc.' Then the game started and I pumping my fist every time Kentucky scores. Heart just won't let me pull for UNC, even if I try!

Duvall
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
As long as they are playing Carolina, it's like a cool breeze on a warm summer's day, like the taste of clean water from a mountain stream, like the sound of children playing, like the sight of a beautiful sunset.

BluDvlsN1
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
1. Has to be Kentucky....ABC!
2. IMO, the winner of VCU/Butler has a better chance with that outcome!
3. No matter \ like many, I will root for Butler but most definitely the winner of that game!
4. The above may be the understatement of the decade!

Lulu
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Nothing new to add, but this has got to be the worst "final five" imaginable. I can't believe I'm rooting for Calipari, and I can't believe I'll be rooting for UConn next. I guess that's how it stacks up when your 3 least favorite teams are all that's left on one side of the bracket. And to top it off, one of the 3 will get to be a huge favorite in the final...

diveonthefloor
03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Actually, VCU and Butler are both great stories, and each would be easy to root for.

Lulu
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
without question. I'm pulling for Butler/VCU nearly as hard as I could ever pull for Duke at this point.

BluDvlsN1
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Actually, VCU and Butler are both great stories, and each would be easy to root for.

Agree whole heartedly!

without question. I'm pulling for Butler/VCU nearly as hard as I could ever pull for Duke at this point.

Agree whole heartedly!

This tournament never ceases to amaze me!

Gotta luv it!

CLW
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
The game is on at my house in the background but I just CANNOT stomach watching UNC and KY playing for a trip to the Final 4.

Growing up in KY I absolutely despise UK even more so with Calipari as their coach. Not surprisingly, UK fans (including many in my own family) used to loathe him. Of course now they worship him.

Obviously I hate Carolina as well. I "think" I am pulling for UNC if only to stop the text messages I get daily now about "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." "choking".

Unfortunately it doesn't get any better in the Final 4 as I really dislike UConn as well. I think I will be just about as passionate about the Butler/VCU winner in the Final as I would be if Duke were playing in it.

wilson
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
"Well, folks, at halftime of today's Stalin-Hitler matchup, Stalin has battled to a hard-fought 8-point lead. Still lots of basketball to be played, but Hitler's bigs have some adjustments to make against Stalin's frontline."

CLW
03-27-2011, 06:10 PM
"Well, folks, at halftime of today's Stalin-Hitler matchup, Stalin has battled to a hard-fought 8-point lead. Still lots of basketball to be played, but Hitler's bigs have some adjustments to make against Stalin's frontline."

The winner meets Mao?

wilson
03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

The winner meets Mao?Well, I was thinking more Tito or Pol Pot, but tomato, tomahto.

DevilWearsPrada
03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
WEARING my D U K E sweatshirt today!!

GTHC

YEAH YEAH GTHC

And Now Go Butler or VCU! One will be in the final dance!!

Gthoma2a
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I feel happy and dirty at the same time. Let's go Butler in the final against UK (I want them to lose to the team we beat for the championship last year since they always say, "we would have won the championship if we had it as easy as you did").

Sir Stealth
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Thank you Kentucky, thank you. I love Kentucky today and don't even care if this Final Four gets vacated or not.

miramar
03-27-2011, 07:13 PM

but all of a sudden Uncle Joe Stalin has started to look pretty good (for today). Of course there is a big difference since Stalin had five year plans while Cal works one year at a time.

No matter what, I have to admit the two highlights of my day were WBB and Kentucky, with Butler as an honorable mention.

Bluedevil114
03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I feel happy and dirty at the same time. Let's go Butler in the final against UK (I want them to lose to the team we beat for the championship last year since they always say, "we would have won the championship if we had it as easy as you did").

That was a tough two hours being a Kentucky fan. Time for a shower and then back to hating them again. But thanks!!

Next Saturday I will be a UConn fan and then Monday whoever is left on the right side of the bracket.

devildeac
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
That was a tough two hours being a Kentucky fan. Time for a shower and then back to hating them again. But thanks!!

Next Saturday I will be a UConn fan and then Monday whoever is left on the right side of the bracket.

Don't forget to use your disinfectant after your shower, too:rolleyes::D.

DukeGirl4ever
03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I said on FB that I think I threw up a total of 43 times during that game....every time I cheered for UK.

I'm off for a nice shower....how long til the wins are vacated? :p

NYBri
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Mission Accomplished. Ol' Roy is headed home.

Go BUTLER!

Cameron
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Today, it was just awe-inspiring. And I really don't care if Calipari exchanged pre-season handshakes with Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb that consisted of pirate treasure and keys to a monster truck. Hell, Cal could have given the entire team pet Tyrannosaurus Rexes and I couldn't be happier for them. Just as long as Roy and that team of deplorable young men (or "you bastard," as they are referenced in my home, especially when my father is visiting for a game, after a made basket) do not make Monday Night. They really are unfortunate people. I hate hating them. I really do. But I do and I love it. And they are going home.

Drive safely.

TobaMom
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Felt so conflicted that I had to walk away from the television. Came back for the last minute to cheer Carolina's loss, not Kentucky's win. Wish it could be Butler/VCU in the championship game, but I will root for either of them -- of course, preferring Butler because we are all Bulldogs now. Go Duke!

striker219
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you Kentucky, thank you. I love Kentucky today and don't even care if this Final Four gets vacated or not.

This was my justification for rooting for Kentucky. And to my horror I found myself actively rooting for Kentucky, like, cheering out loud when they'd hit a three. It made me feel icky inside.

But then I realized that I'd get to cheer this as a Carolina loss today and a Kentucky loss in 2-4 years, and that thought had a wonderfully calming effect on me.

DukeGirl4ever
03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
This was my justification for rooting for Kentucky. And to my horror I found myself actively rooting for Kentucky, like, cheering out loud when they'd hit a three. It made me feel icky inside.

You and me both! I was screaming out loud when they hit the 3 to put them up 4....my husband rolled his eyes and said, "I guess your depression is over." Yep, it is.

The thing is, I actually don't really hate the players on Kentucky this year. I like Harrellson - he just plays hard. I also don't think they are a cocky group like last year's squad. That being said, it's Cailpari and he makes me puke.

Bojangles4Eva
03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Don't forget to use your disinfectant after your shower, too:rolleyes::D.

After the game I had to take a "Crying Game"-esque sobbing-in-the-corner-of-the-tub-in-fetal-position shower to wash the shame of cheering for UK off of me...clothes are burning in the fire pit as we speak.

wilko
03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
My 8 yo asks: "who are u for in this game dad?" I tell him Kentucky... It's closer to the right shade of blue and (uk) has half the letters that spell Duke..

Now that our long national nightmare is over I can start enjoying games again now that the witch is dead..

As for a UK vs: Uconn matchup.... I guess... I can root for UK again because it will be undone sooner or later.... and Calhoun seems to be a hybrid between a cat on his 7th life and cockroach... If that last disaster didn't sink him.. maybe we should just call him Molly Brown.. he just ain't going down...

Now... I dig Butler, and its hard to root against VCU. What they have done is remarkable. That "Skeens" dude is a player... I cant decide whether Coach Smart is a genius, or he was lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle with this team, right time , right place... either way they have assured him of a SIGNIFICANT raise and a probable change of scenery. Time will tell which is which...

So either way we get a good vs: evil final. I'll back the good side whoever they are..

BD80
03-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Rooting for a Calipari-led team is like ...

Kicking yourself in the private parts,

Darn difficult to do, and painful if you succeed.

But in this case, better than the alternative: GTHCGTH!

hq2
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Now that both Cals are playing each other (and I think most of us pretty much detest both, for different reasons) can we root against both? Why can't they both lose at the same time?

Billy Dat
03-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Today, it was just awe-inspiring. And I really don't care if Calipari exchanged pre-season handshakes with Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb that consisted of pirate treasure and keys to a monster truck. Hell, Cal could have given the entire team pet Tyrannosaurus Rexes and I couldn't be happier for them. Just as long as Roy and that team of deplorable young men (or "you bastard," as they are referenced in my home, especially when my father is visiting for a game, after a made basket) do not make Monday Night. They really are unfortunate people. I hate hating them. I really do. But I do and I love it. And they are going home.

Drive safely.

This sums up my feelings exactly. I DVRed the game due to a scheduling conflict but started watching at 9PM with my "cone of silence" intact. When I watch a DVRed game, I fast forward everything except for game action, and even then I fast forward dribbling up the court and the 5 seconds of setting the offense. While I was unabashedly rooting 100% for Kentucky with no qualms, the idea of watching an entire UNC Regional Final win was making me so queasy that I started watching the entire game on the first fast forward speed. When the Heels cut it to one possession with 5 minutes left, I couldn't take it anymore and just flew to the end with blinding speed, unable to really tell what was going on until I saw the UK players jumping around. After maintaining the cone of slience for hours so that I didn't know who won, I "watched" the game in about 12 minutes...and it was glorious. 9 mother effing F!

jdj4duke
03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
I will pull enthusiastically for KY next Saturday. I am rationalizing that by my opinion that Calipari has apparently kept most of his shenanigans within the confines of the NCAA. Calhoun's program, players, and staff not only have lived on the dark side of the NCAA, but have repeatedly and for a long time gotten away with actual transgressions against the law. As the DBR front page summed up the other day: "(Calhoun's program) frankly reeks. Whether it’s restraining orders, drug arrests, assistants being arrested for solicitation, players stealing laptops from fellow students, shoplifting charges or most recently the role of a former student manager-turned-agent played in recruitment of Nate Miles, there is a stench about Calhoun’s program."

KY? Expedient, rule-bending, and ethically-challenged;
UCon- all the above with the addition of actual criminal lawyers, institutional complacency and willful ignorance, and the apparent unlimited ability to escape consequences for just about anything.

I find that stench more offensive at UCon than the one around KY. I freely acknowledge that picking either of them is like choosing which of two hemorrhagic fevers would be more appealing.

I want KY to keep Jimmy-boy and his institutional protectors from having a chance to close the gap to Coach K. Then they can go home.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Every tourney game this year, my 5yr old has asked me which team we're rooting for. When he asked me yesterday if wanted UK or Keerlina, I knew the real answer but couldn't bring myself to say it out loud since we're talking about 1a and 1b on my list of teams never to cheer for. So, I told him... "Today we're rooting for the meteor, buddy. Today it's all about the meteor."

Come to think of it, next saturday night's matchup is only slightly better.

Jderf
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Our fans' self-righteousness about Calipari has actually made me like the guy a little bit.

I find myself undeniably rooting for Kentucky, which is undeniably repulsive, particulary with Calipari at the helm.

And to my horror I found myself actively rooting for Kentucky, like, cheering out loud when they'd hit a three. It made me feel icky inside.

After the game I had to take a "Crying Game"-esque sobbing-in-the-corner-of-the-tub-in-fetal-position shower to wash the shame of cheering for UK off of me...clothes are burning in the fire pit as we speak.

Self-righteousness? What ever could you be talking about? :D

BlueDevilBaby
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
All I could think about this past weekend was "Where is the Curse?". What a horrible Elite 8 - no one to root for but Butler - please let them win it all and assure us that the Curse is alive and well.

hq2
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I think that's the outcome most people are looking for. Sure would be great if Butler could upset either of those teams. It would make everyone feel much better.

78Devil
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I was really torn on Sunday BEFORE the game, as to whether I should root for Kentucky or UNC. Mainly because even though UNC is our rival, they are a more deserving program. Who would you rather have your son play for? But I reluctantly picked Kentucky before the game. I didn't know how MUCH I subconsciously wanted UNC to lose until they actually did. It was like a black cloud lifting. Although I feel guilty to root against those young men (many of whom I would be proud to play for Duke).

Now when it comes to UConn vs. Kentucky, THAT decision is easy. I'll go for Kentucky any day. I do not want UConn to get that 3rd NC.

NSDukeFan
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Our fans' self-righteousness about Calipari has actually made me like the guy a little bit. Either way, I don't give a flying flip about Kentucky. Hopefully the Butler-VCU winner wins it all, but if Kentucky wins it all, I'm not rending my garments.

Are you the next Kentucky coach?

throatybeard
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
If you don't want Carolina, Kentucky, or Connecticut to win the Championship, it has set up pretty well, really. With two games of Kentucky vs the other two, by definition, two of the three have had to lose. This is really a better set-up than, say, Butler-UK and VCU-UConn, where a Butler-VCU final is possible but you need two upsets to make it occur. Now we only need one upset, in the final, to prevent a Mayan Clock Shindig.

In other words, take care of business, Butler.

throatybeard
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you the next Kentucky coach?

Are you Bonnie Bernstein?

NSDukeFan
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Are you Bonnie Bernstein?

I guess that was a bit insensitive of me to ask that at this time. ;)

uh_no
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
If you don't want Carolina, Kentucky, or Connecticut to win the Championship, it has set up pretty well, really. With two games of Kentucky vs the other two, by definition, two of the three have had to lose. This is really a better set-up than, say, Butler-UK and VCU-UConn, where a Butler-VCU final is possible but you need two upsets to make it occur. Now we only need one upset, in the final, to prevent a Mayan Clock Shindig.

Here's how it works out. Say uconn or UK have a 75% chance to win against butler or VCU, and 50% against eachother. (numbers just for example purposes) This means that in the current setup 75% of the time, uconn or UK wins the title. If we swap it up and have uconn/vcu uk/butler, then the odds become .75*(.5*.75+.75*.25) * 2, which is 84% of the time Uconn or UK win..just a fun exercise that shows that this setup cuts the chances that one of the bluebloods win by about 10%

Cameron
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
The only way I could ever see cheering for Carolina is if you're a Duke fan living in Kentucky or Cincinnati. And even then, Kentucky is really of no account to us, as great as a program as they are. We seldom play them. We don't have to deal with them constantly. I really don't care about them.

Krzyzewski currently has as many championships as Dean and Williams put together. I don't want Carolina winning another title, ever. Ever. Let me explain that a little. Ever.

Agreed.

I couldn't care less about Kentucky.

As for North Carolina, I would rather beat them three times in the regular-season and lose to the North Pole in the first round of the NCAA tournament than be defeated in all three and win the national championship.

There is nobody I hate more than North Carolina. When Carolina went down 40 to 12 against Kansas in the '08 Final Four, I rushed to the hallway like a world-class hurdler (I think I may have cleared my espresso reclining chair while squawking like a red-tailed hawk) and took a photograph of my TV screen with a Canon Sure Shot Owl. It wasn't until after that almost methamphetamine-fueled moment that I realized how pathetic I was. But hating Carolina is a lifestyle and I continued to snap a few more. I had that special keepsake blown-up at Walgreens or Bargain World the next day and it now sits on my desk.

In another particularly exciting moment of North Carolina shame, this time at the hands of Maryland, I saw, I think, what Ted Kaczynski saw before deciding to move to the top of a mountain and begin a unabombing spree. Luckily, I came back to earth real fast. Talk about a lunatic:

During Carolina's trip to College Park in 2009, I kept tapping Greivis Vasquez on the back after each clutch shot he hit down the stretch. I was tapping a little human representation on a television monitor with my finger after each made point. Just to put that into some sort of rational perspective, I did it the first time as a joke. Like, "Come on, buddy, let's bring us back here" (Maryland was "us", mind you). Then he made another basket, and another. So I kept getting out of my seat and patting him. Those watching the game with me that afternoon thought I should be arrested, but found it hilarious. It worked and Tyler lost. That's all that mattered that day. You gotta do what you gotta do.

After yesterday, I for one hope that all of the "Kentucky mothers" now have front lawns that are spacious and jungle-gym ready. And I hope their children slide down those impropriety and banner-voiding slides all damn day. Money, money, money, MONEY!

Thank you, John Cal.

Sir Stealth
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Agreed.

I couldn't care less about Kentucky.

As for North Carolina, I would rather beat them three times in the regular-season and lose to the North Pole in the first round of the NCAA tournament than be defeated in all three and win the national championship.

There is nobody I hate more than North Carolina. When Carolina went down 40 to 12 against Kansas in the '08 Final Four, I rushed to the hallway like a world-class hurdler (I think I may have cleared my espresso reclining chair while squawking like a red-tailed hawk) and took a photograph of my TV screen with a Canon Sure Shot Owl. It wasn't until after that almost methamphetamine-fueled moment that I realized how pathetic I was. But hating Carolina is a lifestyle and I continued to snap a few more. I had that special keepsake blown-up at Walgreens or Bargain World the next day and it now sits on my desk.

In another particularly exciting moment of North Carolina shame, this time at the hands of Maryland, I saw, I think, what Ted Kaczynski saw before deciding to move to the top of a mountain and begin a unabombing spree. Luckily, I came back to earth real fast. Talk about a lunatic:

During Carolina's trip to College Park in 2009, I kept tapping Greivis Vasquez on the back after each clutch shot he hit down the stretch. I was tapping a little human representation on a television monitor with my finger after each made point. Just to put that into some sort of rational perspective, I did it the first time as a joke. Like, "Come on, buddy, let's bring us back here" (Maryland was "us", mind you). Then he made another basket, and another. So I kept getting out of my seat and patting him. Those watching the game with me that afternoon thought I should be arrested, but found it hilarious. It worked and Tyler lost. That's all that mattered that day. You gotta do what you gotta do.

After yesterday, I for one hope that all of the "Kentucky mothers" now have front lawns that are spacious and jungle-gym ready. And I hope their children slide down those impropriety and banner-voiding slides all damn day. Money, money, money, MONEY!

Thank you, John Cal.

I am right there with you. Totally baffled that anyone who would have had a shred of doubt or guilt about who to root for Sunday. Kentucky? Whatever. I'm still glowing with happiness about Kentucky tonight. Carolina in the Final Four is a miserable thing.

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 04:45 AM
It was easy to choose who to cheer for in the Butler-Florida game. All of us are now Bulldogs for the rest of the Final Four.

But my God, look at the choices in the next few games!

UConn/Arizona: The team that beat us in 1999 when we should have won or the team that beat us yesterday.

My pick: (gulp) UCONN (I hated being right).

UNC/Kentucky: How do you choose between your mortal enemy/whiner and one of the least honorable programs/coaches ever? I have only cheered for UNC once: in the 1993 championship game over the Fab Five. I hated myself for several years afterward and can't cheer for them again. But KENTUCKY/CALIPARI???? I think I turn off the TV.

And I'm behind Butler all the way in the Final Four...

Please, people, let's pray hard and try to be sure that the thieves, SAT cheaters, and Holes all get sent home.

Whoa...I think a "Thank you Kentucky for beating UNC" would be enough rather than the above. However, your welcome anyway.

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 04:47 AM

Exhibiting no love for the Blue Bloods are we?

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 04:48 AM
rooting for a winner. Anyone care to dispute that?

Anyone...

Crickets................

Duvall
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Might want to check with fans of UMass 1996 and Memphis 2008 first.

striker219
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm no fan, but I have to admit that you are correct. It is like rooting for a winner. Until the NCAA takes those wins away.

Jderf
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm no fan, but I have to admit that you are correct. It is like rooting for a winner. Until the NCAA takes those wins away.

Then you're stuck in some bizarre metaphysical limbo where, technically speaking, it's unclear whether or not you were ever actually rooting at all.

BD80
03-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Nope, he's right there with Charlie Sheen, tiger blood and all.

Makes no difference if he has the morality of strung-out crack whore, he is a "winner."

Spret42
03-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Makes no difference if he has the morality of strung-out crack whore, he is a "winner."

That's just funny. Charlie Sheen jokes about tiger blood may never get old.

Calipari can put together a basketball team and coach em for sure. To beat OSU an UNC back to back like that was pretty stinkin impressive.

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Might want to check with fans of UMass 1996 and Memphis 2008 first.

fans of, up to that point, little known teams that got thrust into the national spotlight because they were WINNING?

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Don't you hate it that there is a team out there that has a stronger tradition than Duke? Don't you hate it that it has a more solid fan base than Duke? Don't you hate it that it has more wins than Duke? I don't say that to be mean even though you compare Calipari to a "strung out crack whore" I am probably going to receive an infraction on here for telling you the above but that doesn't mean I don't respect what Duke is and what they have accomplished or that the team doesn't have probably the best Coach since Wooden. Show some respect....except to UNC.

Duvall
03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
fans of, up to that point, little known teams that got thrust into the national spotlight because they were WINNING?

Check the record books. Neither of those teams did any winning, or WINNING, for that matter.

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 03:38 PM

A whole state disagrees with you.

BD80
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't you hate it that there is a team out there that has a stronger tradition than Duke? Don't you hate it that it has a more solid fan base than Duke? Don't you hate it that it has more wins than Duke? I don't say that to be mean even though you compare Calipari to a "strung out crack whore" I am probably going to receive an infraction on here for telling you the above but that doesn't mean I don't respect what Duke is and what they have accomplished or that the team doesn't have probably the best Coach since Wooden. Show some respect....except to UNC.

Tradition ... well lets just say "I am comfortable in my own skin" about Duke's tradition. UK's under Rupp and now under Calipari? Not so much.

"Solid" fan base? Well, since fan is derived from fanatical, I'll concur. But unlike UK fans, I wouldn't sell morality for wins. Yes UK has more wins, just don't look behind the curtain.

Maybe Cal won't get caught breaking rules at UK, but you must admit that the "solid" UK fanbase doesn't give a flip about whether the one-and-dones even attend classes. Yes, I know John Wall and Brandon Knight attended classes, but what about Cousins, Bledsoe, Lamb and Jones. The Big Blue Nation will cover up the absolute hypocrisy of "student-athlete" in the name of more wins. Can you imagine what would happen to the professor or student that outed the players who are blowing off classes? Talk about fanatics. Talk about tradition.

I see a difference in winning within the spirit of the NCAA mission and winning despite the connection to an academic institution. I am sorry I compared Cal's morals to a strung-out crack whore, I am sure I insulted more than a few individuals who suffer from addiction but haven't sunk that low.

-jk
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
take it easy, everyone.

-jk

throatybeard
03-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't understand what's to be gained from the constant bashing of Calipari on this board. It's tiresome and played.

striker219
03-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Don't you hate it that there is a team out there that has a stronger tradition than Duke?

Nope. I'm pretty comfortable with what Duke has accomplished. And honestly, you have to go back quite a long time to get to an era when Kentucky basketball could be considered stronger than Duke. Let's look at the last 26 years, what many people consider to be the modern era of college hoops (since the expansion of the NCAA tournament).

Since 1984-85 Duke is 769-182, Kentucky is 692-223. Duke has been to the Final Four 11 times with 4 National Championships, Kentucky has 5 Final Fours and 2 Championships. I could go on and on about what both teams have accomplished in this time frame (tournament wins, All-Americans, draft picks, NBA players, NCAA sanctions, etc.), but while Kentucky has been quite impressive, the dominance that Duke has displayed is pretty well known.

Now, for the sake of using a nice round number lets go back 50 years. Since the 1960-61 season Duke is 1213-420 (74.3 win percentage), Kentucky is 1219-387 (75.9 win percentage). 15 Final Fours for Duke, 9 for Kentucky. 18 trips to the Elite Eight for Duke, 24 for Kentucky. I think you'd have a hard time making an argument that either program has been overwhelmingly dominant over the course of the last 50 years. Well, compared to each other at least.

You have to go back more than 50 years to see any real separation, before 70% of the US population was born. Since 1930 when Rupp started his career Duke has gone 1724-646 while Kentucky has gone 1847-502 making Kentucky's winning percentage 6.7 points higher than Duke's, so congratulations for that. All time though, Kentucky's win percentage is only 5.9 points higher than Duke (76.1 vs 70.2). Oh, and Kentucky leads the head-to-head matchup 11-8. Again, congratulations.

Don't you hate it that it has a more solid fan base than Duke?

Wait a minute, you're telling me that a school with 19000 undergraduate students, who are forced to live in miserable, boring Kentucky where there is literally nothing better to do than watch basketball, has more fans than a school with 6000 undergrads? I'm shocked. (The "miserable, boring" thing was a joke by the way. Loony UK fans aside Kentucky is lovely. Plus, you have the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (http://www.kybourbontrail.com/)!)

Don't you hate it that it has more wins than Duke?

Since so many of those wins are more than a half-century old, no, not really a huge deal to me personally although I can understand why it is important to many people.

I don't say that to be mean even though you compare Calipari to a "strung out crack whore"...

I don't think it was really a direct comparison...actually, you know what, I'm going to leave this alone entirely. GTHC!

...but that doesn't mean I don't respect what Duke is and what they have accomplished or that the team doesn't have probably the best Coach since Wooden.

You're probably going to want to keep that to yourself on the UK message boards. It seems safer that way.
:D

Show some respect....except to UNC.

I like how we can come together to sing Kumbaya at the end.