PDA

View Full Version : Official Butler Bandwagon thread

hurleyfor3
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Jump on! Final Four again!

timmy c
03-26-2011, 07:09 PM

I am having trouble rooting for Matt Howard since he laid that huge forearm screen on Kyle at the end of the championship game last year. Do I really have to let my bitterness go?

stillcrazie
03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I am having trouble rooting for Matt Howard since he laid that huge forearm screen on Kyle at the end of the championship game last year. Do I really have to let my bitterness go?

I think you do, esp. if they play Kansas. But it's your call. If it can't be Duke, go BULLDOGS!

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm on it and I don't care who calls me a bandwagon jumper!

Brad Stevens is a genius!

ncexnyc
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
They win ugly, but they win.

DukieInKansas
03-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Two of my favorite people went to Butler so I can pull for them. I will have to pull for KU first, though.

Duvall
03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Meh. There is only one bandwagon left - ABC. Everything else is irrelevant at this point.

loran16
03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Meh. There is only one bandwagon left - ABC. Everything else is irrelevant at this point.

I'm on ABC's bandwagon as well as Butler's bandwagon. Hopefully they don't combine.

OldSchool
03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Hmmm, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, UCONN - whom to root for??

Is it too late to rejigger the bracket so we have BUTLER against VCU for the title?

_Gary
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm on ABC's bandwagon as well as Butler's bandwagon. Hopefully they don't combine.

Me too. The biggest problem is the Heels. If they lose tomorrow then I'm 100% free to root for Butler all the way. But if not, I have to root for Kansas only because I think they'd have the better shot at knocking out the Enemy in the title game.

wilson
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Count me in.
I really don't think people yet realize how impressive it is for a team like Butler to make two straight Final Fours. That's an impressive accomplishment for any school, all the way up to Duke or carolina or UCLA or Kentucky. But for a program of that stature to do it is truly amazing. They'll get a lot of well-deserved ink in the next week, and if he wants it, I suspect that Brad Stevens will get a well-deserved lifetime contract.
For all the talk about how Gonzaga ushered in the era of the modern giant-killer, Butler has done more in two years than Gonzaga has in 15.

DevilWearsPrada
03-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I am not a Butler Bulldog Bandwagon fan. I have been watching them for several years. Started paying more attention to them, because of Jennifer McRoberts (Josh's mother).

Butler is a nice little campus outside of downtown Indy.

I had Butler beating Pitt in my original bracket. Because, knowing the Butler program and Coach Brad Stevens, they have determination, heart and hustle.

After rounds 1,2,3.... I redid my brackets. I no way had VCU or Richmond. I had Duke and Butler in the Final 4. With Duke and Butler having the rematch. That did not come to fruition. Sad. :(

I am so thrilled for Butler University, their Coach, staff and team. I just feel, you can recruit good young people with character and good academics, that are also skilled and talented in athletics. Good mirror image of Duke.

I said last year in Indy at the Final 4. When Coach K retires...........Please Hire Coach Brad Stevens! He is 34 yrs old. Bright, talented, no potty mouth, and stays cool and calm.

Coach Stevens has coached this team without their best player Gordon Hayward, from last season. Matt Howard has been such a leader on the Butler team. Love Matt Howard, what a leader and warrior!

I wish I would have bought a Butler teeshirt in Indy last year. Street vendors were selling generic Butler shirts for $5. I would wear it, if I had it! And parade around Chapel Hill. (lol)

Congratulations to Coach Stevens and Butler Bulldogs!! YOU are my Team in the Final 4.

If, you review other threads, you will see, I have been rooting for Butler, for quit some time. :cool:

SMO
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Winning!

Gthoma2a
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
I am rooting for Zona, and Butler. I want them in the title game with Butler winning. They remeind me of us back in the early years of K joining the team.

Verga3
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Butler was a bracket-buster for me tonight. Had a Duke-Florida final teed-up. Oh well. My heart says Butler (and maybe my head does now) after their run last year. Great run again and a very special and composed leader. Brad Stevens reminds me so very much of Coach K in close games. The tighter and more stressful the situation, the more of a calm and control he passes on to his team.

If we are up by 25 an give up a simple play, K can go nuts (by design), but the tighter the game, especially in end of game situations, he is purely serene in the huddle. Such a tremendous feel and leadership touch.

I'm not comparing Brad Stevens to Coach K overall, but he surely is one of the best in the game. GO BUTLER!!

uh_no
03-26-2011, 10:07 PM

you can join the uconn bandwagon with me! :P

Dr. Tina
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
While I do think I will root for Butler the rest of the way, I do still feel the tiniest bit of a grudge in my heart for the fact they injured Kyrie's toe! I have always found it ironic that we do this "title game rematch" with Butler, and lose our amazingly talented Kyrie Irving in that game for months. Then, we bow out of the tourney early, and Butler is still dancing.

Brad Stevens and whatever basketball mojo he's working are a force to be reckoned with my friends!

Speaking of...the Force...I have come to another conclusion...

If the Final Four were Star Wars, the Tarholes, UConvicts, and Wildcats are now the SITH lords....and Butler, Kansas, and VCU are the JEDI KNIGHTS! If the NCAA lets Blue II (the Butler bulldog) go to the Final Four, then I think they should dress him up as Yoda and use a few more of those Brad Stevens' Jedi mind tricks on the opposing teams to win it all.....

May the Force be with them... :)

weezie
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Winning!

Finally, this made me laugh after a couple of mopey days.

"For heaven's sake bulldogs, let's go, will ya?"

How's that for a rousing cheer?

SMO
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Finally, this made me laugh after a couple of mopey days.

"For heaven's sake bulldogs, let's go, will ya?"

How's that for a rousing cheer?

That's why I'm here! I have bulldog blood...

turnandburn55
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Butler may well turn into an interesting case if they continue this success over time...

One has to wonder if they aren't looking like Duke circa mid-late '80s... everyone's darling with the young coach who keeps winning. At some point though, to paraphrase a movie... it won't be cute anymore. The blue-bloods may resent the encroachment of a small private school with some goofy white guys, and will start whining about how they "get all the calls"... starting with the 0.8 second foul call on Matt Howard.

I, for one, welcome them. Who would have guessed that Butler would be returning to the Final Four before Duke?

On a sidenote, this does give me hope for next year... if they could make the F4 after losing Gordon Hayward... we can rally the troops after losing Kyle and Nolan.

OldSchool
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
While I do think I will root for Butler the rest of the way, I do still feel the tiniest bit of a grudge in my heart for the fact they injured Kyrie's toe! I have always found it ironic that we do this "title game rematch" with Butler, and lose our amazingly talented Kyrie Irving in that game for months. Then, we bow out of the tourney early, and Butler is still dancing.

Brad Stevens and whatever basketball mojo he's working are a force to be reckoned with my friends!

Now you're making me wonder if Brad Stevens made a little doll with a Duke "1" jersey on it and a pin sticking out of its toe...

Dr. Tina
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Now you're making me wonder if Brad Stevens made a little doll with a Duke "1" jersey on it and a pin sticking out of its toe...

YOU said it....I didn't....lolololol

BlueHeaven
03-26-2011, 10:47 PM
My husband is a double Gator and I went to UF law school, so I was compelled to pull for Florida, but now that they've lost, it's Butler all the way!

gcashwell
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I penciled in butler for a trip to the final four after watching their conference final. They gave up 44 pts. In the post game interview, Stevens said the team had,"figured it out."

I love the way they play tough d.

gw67
03-27-2011, 08:41 AM
There are lots of things to like about Butler:
They are 9-1 in the last two NCAAT's and, arguably, have had the toughest road to the Final Four this year - ODU, Pitt,Wisconsin and Florida.
They don't have a load of individual talent. No McDonald's All Americans. In fact, according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) web site, they don't have a single player who was rated in the Top 100 of his class.
They are not a great shooting team. They don't wow you with great passing and are not a great rebounding team. However, they pay tough defense and have a knack for keeping the game close. One of my favorite aspects of their play is the agressiveness of their small guards. They not only go after loose balls and play attacking defense but they often steal rebounds from taller opponents.
Lastly, they have a great coach. He is on a par with today's top coaches in getting his team ready for an opponent, having them not take plays off and being one of the very best in-game coaches around.

gw67

Devilsfan
03-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Right now my vote's for B.S. to replace Coach K when he eventually decides to retire. This could change if one of K's deciples goes to multiple final fours as a head coach in the next 7-10 years.

sagegrouse
03-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Right now my vote's for B.S. to replace Coach K when he eventually decides to retire. This could change if one of K's deciples goes to multiple final fours as a head coach in the next 7-10 years.

I agree. If I were advising Stevens, I would tell him to wait for one of the Blueblood programs to open up. I had a list on the Sean Miller thread:

Bluebloods
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
[UCLA and Indiana granted leaves of absence]

While I was having some fun with UCLA and Indiana, Hoosier native Stevens would have Indiana on the list. These programs have the prestige, the economics (Duke earned $26 million in basketball), and the recruiting mojo. And why should Stevens take a risk on a lesser program? Moreover, it's not unreasonable to expect most of these jobs to open up within the next five years. Since Tom Crean doesn't seem to be getting it done at Indiana, it might be the first.

sagegrouse

epoulsen
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
This is my first post since we ran out of time on Thursday night and unfortunately I will not be jumping on the bandwagon. I am a Duke fan and am physically incapable for rooting for anyone else and I mean that. I literally cannot root for anyone but Duke. To put on a shirt with a Sun Devil or Banana Slug is unthinkable. The best I can do is to be indifferent (as opposed to hope they lose). I guess this is because we are Duke fans and people jump on our bandwagon, not the other way around. Feel free to say that I am not a true basketball fan, feel free to say that I exercise bad sportsmanship. I am a Duke fan, and there is no other.

PS - May Carolina burn in hell

DukeGirl4ever
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
This is my first post since we ran out of time on Thursday night and unfortunately I will not be jumping on the bandwagon. I am a Duke fan and am physically incapable for rooting for anyone else and I mean that. I literally cannot root for anyone but Duke. To put on a shirt with a Sun Devil or Banana Slug is unthinkable. The best I can do is to be indifferent (as opposed to hope they lose). I guess this is because we are Duke fans and people jump on our bandwagon, not the other way around. Feel free to say that I am not a true basketball fan, feel free to say that I exercise bad sportsmanship. I am a Duke fan, and there is no other.

PS - May Carolina burn in hell

Excellent post, and I will agree that I am a Duke fan and there is no other team. However, there are two reasons I will root for Butler now. The first is I need to get out of this mini-depression! :p Walking around the house in a depressed state does not look good on me and nor does my 3 year old understand why mommy's so sad. The second reason is basketball related - I respect good people who do things the right way. Brad Stevens is an amazing coach who handles himself more maturely at the age of 34(???) than many coaches twice his age. He's a winner.

As I'm writing this I can come with a few more reasons...the "Hoosiers" storyline that I so desperately wanted to root for last year because that was my favorite movie and I experienced a similar story as a high school junior when my team from a little farm town in PA won the state championship. That's the kind of story that gives you goosebumps, and something you want to cheer for.

But as always, GO DUKE!

BlueThru&Thru
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM

We are honored by your ABC obsession. Usually no one pulls against a loser or middling team. Only programs at the top of the heap receive that attention. So ABC away.

Jderf
03-27-2011, 02:14 PM
We are honored by your ABC obsession. Usually no one pulls against a loser or middling team. Only programs at the top of the heap receive that attention. So ABC away.

Not so sure about that. I was still a pretty strong proponent of ABC during last season's historic NIT run.

peterjswift
03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm fully on this bandwagon, especially after spending this past week in Indianapolis and yesterday afternoon, evening and early this morning in Broad Ripple hanging out with some serious Butler fans.

I'm not sure that Indianapolis overall really cares about Butler that much, but definitely the neighboring boroughs right around Butler are all bulldog crazy. Loud yells of "Go Bulldogs" and "Butler" were frequently heard in restaurants and bars last night.

dukegirl
03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Someone needs to let someone at Butler know how much the Dukies are pulling for them. Wonder if they have a DBR-like site.

Just sittin' here trying to distract myself from the UK/UNC game...a no-win situation...maybe I'll watch Meet the Press from this a.m. on my DVR.

Go Bulldogs.

weezie
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I dunno, I'm kinda leaning towards the VCU Rams now.

I don't think they really, truly understand what they have just done and that's great!

For them to have held off the Morris twins...

It's just such a great story line: first in and still standing!

Duvall
03-27-2011, 05:31 PM

I fully supported the national collaborative effort that was 2002's 8-20 UNC season. ABC is a philosophy, a state of mind, a way of life - there are no vacations, there are no breaks.

loran16
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
http://victoryfirelight.com/ is a Butler blog, the only one I know of, for those interested in commenting there.

(Also, midmajority.com is always great for mid-majors, though the fact that Duke fans are on the wagon might amuse him.)

BulldogPride
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Just so you all know, our boards are http://buhoops.yuku.com/forums/1
We are pretty welcoming of good basketball discussion.

We've got a thread there right now of all the threads over here that are very complimentary of the Bulldogs.

licc85
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree. If I were advising Stevens, I would tell him to wait for one of the Blueblood programs to open up. I had a list on the Sean Miller thread:

Bluebloods
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
[UCLA and Indiana granted leaves of absence]

While I was having some fun with UCLA and Indiana, Hoosier native Stevens would have Indiana on the list. These programs have the prestige, the economics (Duke earned $26 million in basketball), and the recruiting mojo. And why should Stevens take a risk on a lesser program? Moreover, it's not unreasonable to expect most of these jobs to open up within the next five years. Since Tom Crean doesn't seem to be getting it done at Indiana, it might be the first.

sagegrouse

don't forget about programs like UConn and Syracuse, both of whom have aging coaches in their last few years. I personally feel that he is THE best fit for the Duke job out there right now. He's young, He gets his players to believe in him and he's obviously a great motivator. We need a guy like him once Coach K decides to hang em up after another 5 years. As much as I love our assistants, the track record for Coach K proteges isn't amazing. I have no problem with going for someone from outside the program like coach stevens.

dukegirl
03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Just so you all know, our boards are http://buhoops.yuku.com/forums/1
We are pretty welcoming of good basketball discussion.

We've got a thread there right now of all the threads over here that are very complimentary of the Bulldogs.

I went to your boards but couldn't find a Duke thread (except the Hello from VCU one)...is there another?

loran16
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Is Purdue one of the jobs Stevens would consider?

I'm guessing no....I think with Mack next year alongside Marshall and Smith and others on that team, Stevens will stay. But it's an interesting opening.

Newton_14
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Is Purdue one of the jobs Stevens would consider?

I'm guessing no....I think with Mack next year alongside Marshall and Smith and others on that team, Stevens will stay. But it's an interesting opening.

That is surprising. Where is the Purdue coach headed? I always felt like he is a good coach.

loran16
03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
That is surprising. Where is the Purdue coach headed? I always felt like he is a good coach.

Reports have just come out saying the initial report was slightly premature, but it sounds very much like he's going to Missouri.

There were apparently conflicts with the AD at Purdue and they don't pay him much (he'll be getting 2M per for 7 years, whereas he currently makes 1.4M) compared to other coaches.

AZLA
03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I dunno, I'm kinda leaning towards the VCU Rams now.

I don't think they really, truly understand what they have just done and that's great!

For them to have held off the Morris twins...

It's just such a great story line: first in and still standing!

I'm pulling for VCU. I believe they are the better team and more capable of beating either UCONN or Kentucky. Plus I like their coach's enthusiasm and Joey's point guard skills. Reddic is a good finisher too. The fact VCU had to play their way in at the 11 seed and made the Final Four is astonishing. The Butler story is also intriguing, it's just too bad they couldn't meet at the Championship.

I got nothing against Butler, but I'm tired of all the sports outlets showing "highlights" of Hayward MISSING the half-court shot. Newsflash -- he MISSED the shot. I realize it drilled the backboard and hit the rim, but c'mon, at 28 mph, it had too much velocity and there are plenty of half court shots that make contact with the rim and don't get looped ad nauseam. Everyone knows he should have shot it at 27.5 mph and changed his X axis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQs-d_9iJ14). Duh!

Why then is it included with the same reel as say NC State/Valvano winning, Laettner's winning shot over Kentucky or Valpo? All those shots went in.

Now, had Hayward's basketball shot bounced on the rim a few times, swirled around the hoop five times, then spun out due to the rotation of the earth, balance on the rim's edge only to fall to the court after a gnat coughs on it -- then okay -- replay that sucker.

Heck even Michael J. Fox made his shot at the conclusion of Teen Wolf. And, he didn't even show up as the wolf. Imagine the courage that took. :D

gep
03-29-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm pulling for VCU. I believe they are the better team and more capable of beating either UCONN or Kentucky. Plus I like their coach's enthusiasm and Joey's point guard skills. Reddic is a good finisher too. The fact VCU had to play their way in at the 11 seed and made the Final Four is astonishing. The Butler story is also intriguing, it's just too bad they couldn't meet at the Championship.

I'm pulling for Butler. I agree that VCU may be more capable of beating ucon or Kentucky (in any other situation), and their coach's enthusiasm is off the charts. But... I think experience in the FF counts. Butler went all the way to the NC game last year. I'm sure the players will be much less awed by the circus that the FF is, and know the focus required. VCU, on the other hand, may even over-hype themselves... here's where the over-enthusiastic coach may be somewhat of a hindrance. I think of Maryland in 2001 losing to Duke in the FF semi, then winning it all in 2002. In any case, I just hope the stars align, and whichever Butler or VCU make it to the NC game, wins it all.

sporthenry
03-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Well I would say that trying to get Butler fans to like us, especially in a thread dedicated to them, talking about us taking their coach probably doesn't do great things for the relationship. It also probably talks to the whole idea of our fans being spoiled since we think we could just get him. I'm sure their fans have envisioned Stevens becoming to Butler what K is to Duke.

But Stevens is just the current name in a long line of up and coming coaches like Dixon and Wright. Stevens could be different but both of those guys have been good coaches but Dixon might be the next Rick Barnes and Wright has had his last 2 seasons ruined by end of season meltdowns. Heck, even the talk of Mark Few has died down a bit and while Caple got the short end at OU, he didn't give Duke fans any confidence. Granted, none had this success but I see no way he keeps up similar success for another 5-7 years and is in a position to take over for Duke.

If he continues to have this success for 5-7 years then I think he will have created his own program. If he continues to make the tournament but doesn't keep up this sustained success, he will have built a Gonzaga type program where it appears Few would only leave for the right situation and his stock seems to have cooled as he wasn't mentioned in any major college openings whether its b/c he won't leave or they don't want him. Then I think the most probable outcome is that he has 1-2 more years of relative success like making the tournament, maybe an upset here or there and then leaves for IU. But to me it appears the best chance he leaves Butler is in the next few years and Duke won't have a vacancy then.

A name I'd throw around is Donovan, but who knows if he would leave. But it will certainly be a nervous time around here.

NSDukeFan
04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm in. I love the way this team plays. I really like Howard's game.

1 24 90
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Who would have predicted that Duke didn't hold up their end of the bargain in a rematch of last year's title game? Bummer, but go Bulldogs!!!

stillcrazie
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Who would have predicted that Duke didn't hold up their end of the bargain in a rematch of last year's title game? Bummer, but go Bulldogs!!!

Unbelievable - Butler is back in the title game. If it can't be Duke, it might as well be them.

gumbomoop
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
This would appear to provide proof positive of how easy Duke had it last year......

...... But we should perhaps not expect any crow-eating from those who pronounced Duke's NC the easiest ever.

WakeDevil
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Sign in the Butler section: "Where's Duke?"

You've got to be kidding.

Chris Randolph
04-02-2011, 08:37 PM

I laughed out loud. Very clever Bulldog fan

downeastdad
04-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Bummer for VCU - Skeens is a stud! At least Matt Howard, the thug, got half of the fouls called that he committed.

SCMatt33
04-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Brad Stevens joins the following list of coaches who have been to consecutive title games in the modern era:

Coach K (3 straight 90-92)
Steve Fisher* (92-93)
Nolan Richardson (94-95)
Rick Pitino (96-97)
Billy Donovan (06-07)

* Both appearances were vacated
** John Thompson had consecutive appearances in the final that straddled the pre-64 era and the modern era in 84-85

There are some very good coaches who have never been able to win 5 tourney games in consecutive years like Brad Stevens.

MChambers
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Bummer for VCU - Skeens is a stud! At least Matt Howard, the thug, got half of the fouls called that he committed.
I saw it quite differently. Thought VCU got the refs on their side, but Butler was able to overcome that. Howard isn't a thug, but he does foul a lot. Howard's fourth was a questionable call.

Love the way Stevens coaches. I'll root for his team any day. Count me among those who think he'd be great when our coach retires. Think it's very unlikely, tho.

Dr. Tina
04-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Now, see, if we didn't have the "rematch" in December, then Kyrie wouldn't have hurt his toe and maybe we'd be playing against them again this year!

*sigh*

LSanders
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Been an honorary Bulldog since the moment Duke lost. Monday will be interesting. Butler doesn't rattle, can overcome runs, plays hard, physical defense, works the boards, and has the fundamentals. Whoever they go against will have to beat them in a half-court game. Except for us last year, I'm not sure if either of the unpleasant potential opponents can do that. I think Butler cuts down the nets (and hope they do).

loran16
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Mack was asked by Nantz about his 10-0 run. What does he do? He attributes everything to his teammates. Just pure selflessness, I love this team.

Butler is for real, and they will be great next year (assuming Mack doesn't come out, but I doubt it). The kid Khyle Marshall is a beast on the boards and is only a Frosh, and they will still have Mack and Smith, in addition to good Frosh and Sophomores.

Dr. Tina
04-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Would it be wrong to buy one of those Butler Final Four t-shirts? I'm so digging the basketball w/ the ticket stub design! I could also go for one with Blue 2 on it!

moonpie23
04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
i'm on the bandwagon....

now, let's have a UK win, triple overtime with a couple of players tossed, controversial last basket ....

then let's see butler wax UK by 30 monday night..

that's how i'd write it...

_Gary
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
AMEN to everything Moonpie just expressed. I'm definitely a fan of this team and the way they play. And as much as I despise Cal, I dislike Calhoun and UConn more so I have to root for UK. But boy do I feel slimy doing it.

davekay1971
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM

I saw that and thought it was pretty good humor.

Easy answer of course: Sitting on our stack of 4 nattys in the last 20 years. And hoping you kids can join the club.

Good luck Butler! I'm all in!

Class of '94
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Been an honorary Bulldog since the moment Duke lost. Monday will be interesting. Butler doesn't rattle, can overcome runs, plays hard, physical defense, works the boards, and has the fundamentals. Whoever they go against will have to beat them in a half-court game. Except for us last year, I'm not sure if either of the unpleasant potential opponents can do that. I think Butler cuts down the nets (and hope they do).

I'm reminded now of how Coach K made a potentially prophetic statement when he told Brad Stevens last year after the championship game that it happened to be Duke's time, and that he thought it would Butler's time next year (this season). It would be an amazing story if Coach K is proven to be correct with Butler winning it all.

Chris Randolph
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm reminded now of how Coach K made a potentially prophetic statement when he told Brad Stevens last year after the championship game that it happened to be Duke's time, and that he thought it would Butler's time next year (this season). It would be an amazing story if Coach K is proven to be correct with Butler winning it all.

Do you have a link with this Coach K quote?

hurleyfor3
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Post-Wooden programs that have played in consecutive national championship games:

Unc 81-82
Houston 83-84
Georgetown 84-85
Duke 90-91-92
*Michigan 92-93
Arkansas 94-95
Ky 96-97-98
Florida 06-07
Butler 10-11

Pretty impressive company for Butler. Seven of the programs won at least one title.

A-Tex Devil
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Would really suck if a cheater (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6282307) won this title. And since it might get vacated anyway if UCONN wins, might as well let Butler win.

To quote a brilliant tweet I saw last Monday: Congrats to the VCU/Butler winner. Because either way one of those teams either wins the championship or gets it once UCONN/Kentucky have to vacate it.

gumbomoop
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Beyond the obvious pleasure I take from watching all Duke games this and every season, I must say that the 2 things I have most enjoyed in the NCAAT are watching Aaron Craft play D, and watching Butler play D. I value above all else the attribute of what I will call relentless, disciplined intensity. Duke frequently displays this attribute. Butler showed it last year and this. Duke and Butler last season was, despite all the haters' stoopidity, a classic because every play was fiercely contested.

For me, Butler is just so much fun to watch.

sporthenry
04-03-2011, 12:14 AM
For as much as their fans seem to hate us, I don't see why we care so much about them. I am rooting against UCONN but that doesn't necessarily make me rooting for Butler. They seem to dislike us for some reason so I have no vested interest in seeing them succeed if they are going to be like the rest of college basketball and just hate us for no reason.

SoCalDukeFan
04-03-2011, 12:54 AM
This is the easiest call in the history of sports.

I want unc-ch to lose every game.
I want the UConnvicts to lose every game except when they are playing unc-ch.
I want UK to lose every game except when they are playing unc-ch or the UConnvicts.

The UConnvicts are not playing either unc-ch.
Go Butler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoCal

-bdbd
04-03-2011, 01:17 AM
LET'S GO BULL-DOGS!! (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!)

(repeat)

Anybody have a line on the Vegas spread for the NC game Monday? Has to be U-Con by a lot (8+?) .

:confused:

LET'S GO BULL-DOGS!! (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!)

SuperTurkey
04-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Anybody have a line on the Vegas spread for the NC game Monday? Hast to be U-Con by a lot (8+?) .

If Vegas is saying UConn by 8+, they haven't been watching this Butler team over the last 2 years. When they are clicking like this, ain't no one blowing them out.

uh_no
04-03-2011, 01:29 AM
If Vegas is saying UConn by 8+, they haven't been watching this Butler team over the last 2 years. When they are clicking like this, ain't no one blowing them out.

I agree. If the line is 8+, its time to drop some dough!

loran16
04-03-2011, 01:45 AM
The Line I've seen reported is UConn -4 or -3.5, both of which are realistic lines.

devildeac
04-03-2011, 07:09 AM

I took that to mean that they miss us.:rolleyes:;)

NSDukeFan
04-03-2011, 07:44 AM
For as much as their fans seem to hate us, I don't see why we care so much about them. I am rooting against UCONN but that doesn't necessarily make me rooting for Butler. They seem to dislike us for some reason so I have no vested interest in seeing them succeed if they are going to be like the rest of college basketball and just hate us for no reason.
I like them for the same reasons I became a Duke fan almost 20 years ago. They play smart offensively, move the ball and get good shots. They play tough, hard-nosed defense and try to make life difficult for the other team's offense. They have a coach that I respect and who seems to do things the right way. That's why I like them.

Troublemaker
04-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Agreed. And here's the video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5059454

1:30 mark.

If Butler pulls this out on Monday night, let's bring some attention to this video. Maybe link it on the main DBR page? And hopefully ESPN picks up on it and replays it.

Note: besides the Butler prediction, that video overall was just a nice reminder of how much Coach K loved last year's team and the elation he felt after winning the NC. Just a really good interview with Coach that will probably bring back some good feelings from last year.

BulldogPride
04-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I took that to mean that they miss us.:rolleyes:;)

To be honest, a lot of Bulldog fans were hoping for a Duke-Butler rematch for the National Championship. A lot of people were pretty disappointed to see you guys go out.

The reason a lot of Butler fans really don't like Duke is because a) a lot of us still have a very bad taste in our mouths because of last years championship game. Of course we had a lot to be proud of, but coming so close and coming up short certainly doesn't feel good, and then having to see it replayed over and over and over and over again does not help. And b) until joining this board, I have not come across Duke fans who are as respectful as the majority of you all have been. I would venture to say that much of the Butler loyal haven't come across especially respectful Duke fans either.

hq2
04-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Regardless of what may have happened between Duke and Butler, I'd say most Duke fans are united in despising Uconn. Aside from the obvious (bad memories about '99 and '04 losses), Calhoun is becoming someone we personally dislike almost as much as Deano. And, his program is full of thuggy players who have been involved in a lot of illegal/sleazy shenanigans. A Butler win would make almost everyone in the country outside of Connecticut very happy. Go Bulldogs!

TheRose77
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Regardless of what may have happened between Duke and Butler, I'd say most Duke fans are united in despising Uconn. Aside from the obvious (bad memories about '99 and '04 losses), Calhoun is becoming someone we personally dislike almost as much as Deano. And, his program is full of thuggy players who have been involved in a lot of illegal/sleazy shenanigans. A Butler win would make almost everyone in the country outside of Connecticut very happy. Go Bulldogs!

Well, I'm inside Connecticut, and a Butler win will make me very happy indeed!

Jderf
04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Butler bandwagon? This guy approves (http://accrivals.com/articles/duke/go-bulldogs.html).

gumbomoop
04-03-2011, 05:18 PM
The reason a lot of Butler fans really don't like Duke is because a) a lot of us still have a very bad taste in our mouths because of last years championship game. Of course we had a lot to be proud of, but coming so close and coming up short certainly doesn't feel good, and then having to see it replayed over and over and over and over again does not help. And b) until joining this board, I have not come across Duke fans who are as respectful as the majority of you all have been. I would venture to say that much of the Butler loyal haven't come across especially respectful Duke fans either.

I will repeat, because (a) I like to repeat myself, and (b) because I want you and other Bulldogs to hear it: for me, at least, watching Butler play D is pure joy, precisely because it's pure hell for Butler's opponents. Including Duke, last NC. K called it a classic for a reason: every, every, every play was fiercely contested, by both teams. K thought, correctly, that [barely] beating Butler was a real achievement. The Stoopids - aka Duke Haters - said, "Jeez, you could barely beat Butler. What a joke." As we all now know - save for the Stoopids - Butler is no joke. They exhibit that which I admire most in sport: relentless, disciplined intensity.

I vote for every word in the following post:

I like them for the same reasons I became a Duke fan almost 20 years ago. They play smart offensively, move the ball and get good shots. They play tough, hard-nosed defense and try to make life difficult for the other team's offense. They have a coach that I respect and who seems to do things the right way. That's why I like them.

Finally, I personally will in future consider the advisability of disliking Butler fans, particularly should they provide evidence of Stoopidity. But as long as Stevens is their coach, coaching them to play this way, I will admire the Butler basketball team.

Richard Berg
04-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Butler fans won't hate us indefinitely. Not unless we have several more "great games" join the ESPN rotation, like the Duke-UK rivalry already has.

They hate that their first shot at a magical NC season came up just short (or just long?). They hate never getting to see Hayward in uniform again. They hate seeing his shot rim out over & over & over again. And they probably do hate Duke, right now. But for how long?

1986 is still really, really painful for Duke fans of that era. But we don't hate Louisville.

Winning cures a lot of memories. Make no mistake: Brad Stevens is going to win a lot of games, the way he gets his kids to play. And I'll be cheering them on.

MedfordMike
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
As a Duke fan my friends ask me why I’m rooting for Butler? I turn the tables on them!

1) Why would anyone root for a program knee deep in NCAA violations?
2) Why would you root for a prima donna player who in an earlier game thumps his chest after finally making his only three pointer after having missed every other one during that game?
(This same so called best player in the country spent most of the game Saturday walking through the motions on defense.)
3) How many of these Butler players would even warrant a sniff by the Uconvict coaches?
4) What blue blooded American boy who loved “Rocky” and “Hoosiers” wouldn’t love Butler? (if they aren’t playing Duke)
5) As Medford, Oregon residents and big Kyle Singler fans how can you not love Matt Howard (NOW)?

They struggle to answer!

sagegrouse
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
As a Duke fan my friends ask me why I’m rooting for Butler? I turn the tables on them!

1) Why would anyone root for a program knee deep in NCAA violations?
2) Why would you root for a prima donna player who in an earlier game thumps his chest after finally making his only three pointer after having missed every other one during that game?
(This same so called best player in the country spent most of the game Saturday walking through the motions on defense.)
3) How many of these Butler players would even warrant a sniff by the Uconvict coaches?
4) What blue blooded American boy who loved “Rocky” and “Hoosiers” wouldn’t love Butler? (if they aren’t playing Duke)
5) As Medford, Oregon residents and big Kyle Singler fans how can you not love Matt Howard (NOW)?

They struggle to answer!

Not a hard problem. I always root for the underdog, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. Can Butler of the Horizon Conference be properly considered an underdog against UConn of the Big East? You bet! Do I have a compelling reason to root for UConn? Not really. After all, I characterized the FF semi with Kentucky as "Satan vs. Beelzebub."

sagegrouse

Pacer
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
The reason a lot of Butler fans really don't like Duke is because a) a lot of us still have a very bad taste in our mouths because of last years championship game.

I grew up and live in Indy, 7 blocks from Hinkle, in fact, until a year ago when I moved north. Both my parents have Butler graduate degrees. Living in Indy, I'm awash with Butler grads around. Maybe there is an anti-duke sentiment in the undergrad population, but I don't perceive one in the larger grad pool (maybe they just don't display it to my face). To the extent there is one, it is no bigger than the anti-duke sentiment in the general population.

And b) until joining this board, I have not come across Duke fans who are as respectful as the majority of you all have been. I would venture to say that much of the Butler loyal haven't come across especially respectful Duke fans either.

I'd wager that the fans you've come across who aren't respectful are not grads. Assuming you are Indy based, I know the better percentage of Indy based grads, and everyone I know is very aware of the anti-duke sentiment and are careful to not do anything to give people a real reason to justify the hate. As in every population, there are bad apples. Even on this board, it is often difficult to discern who is a grad. Not being a grad doesn't necessarily make anyone less of a fan, but it somewhat insulates them from feeling repercussions of any negativity aimed at Duke and thus, less invested in maintaining the goodwill associated therewith. (This is really more about the casual Duke fan than anyone who frequents these boards).

uh_no
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

because every other player does stuff like that when making a big play...our own POY candidate included....making a huge shot is grounds for celebration...

if you can't cheer for a kid who works his butt off and has been a great leader and player(one of the best in the NCAA) Should I also mention that he's an excellent student? graduating in 3 years?

But, apparently he gives no effort on defense...not sure how that was your takeaway from a game yesterday where the opposition put up 55 points....yeah...he must have given up so many easy baskets.....oh wait....UK had to take more 3's than they've had to in ANY GAME THIS SEASON! must have been due to kemba's lackluster defense (not to mention the 8 minute timeout didn't come until the 2:30 mark.....they player almost 10 minutes without a full timeout....shame on him for being tired!) He's also averagivng 5+ rpg....almost a full rebound more than nolan smith averaged.....but what does it matter...kemba only gives effort to pad his scoring stats...what do I know...he only had 7 assists last night

I understand that you're bitter about Duke losing and Uconn being in the final, but if you're going to hate on someone, hate on calhoun for cheating, hate on jamaal coombs mcdaniels for complaining about playing time, hate on jimmer for not caring about defense......don't hate on a kid who does everything he's been asked to do whether it be on the court or in the classroom, leading a young team or taking control.

He's the kind of kid I'd be proud to see in a Duke uniform.

PS: he is a terrible interview....it's like listening to paint dry

gep
04-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Not a hard problem. I always root for the underdog, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. Can Butler of the Horizon Conference be properly considered an underdog against UConn of the Big East? You bet! Do I have a compelling reason to root for UConn? Not really. After all, I characterized the FF semi with Kentucky as "Satan vs. Beelzebub."

sagegrouse

I actually thought... slime vs crime... and crime pays, after all :cool: [sorry, I just do not like Calhoun... maybe even moreso than Cali]

GO BUTLER!!!

Dev11
04-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I actually thought... slime vs crime... and crime pays, after all :cool: [sorry, I just do not like Calhoun... maybe even moreso than Cali]

GO BUTLER!!!

Two texts from a fellow Duke fan, during the game:

"I have nothing to do, but I'm literally not watching this game out of principle...If I have my way, my children will find out that I'm Santa before they learn either of those schools exist."

uh_no
04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Two texts from a fellow Duke fan, during the game:

"I have nothing to do, but I'm literally not watching this game out of principle...If I have my way, my children will find out that I'm Santa before they learn either of those schools exist."

well...a lot of people out west think Connecticut is a part of New York.....so that one shouldn't be that hard.....

MedfordMike
04-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Uh No,

I’m not bitter about Duke losing, I’m not even bitter about Ucon or KU in particular. I’m just surprised that some defend and root for programs that think the rules are for suckers. I appreciate watching superior athletic ability as much as the next guy. But anyone who tells me that those two programs are competing on the same level playing field with Butler is delusional. Yeah, I route for the Butlers, and shoot yeah, the little guy. I also happen to be a Dukie because they do it right even though they aren’t the little guy. Oh, and by the way, I don’t remember the same “strutting” by Nolan and I haven’t missed a televised game in 4 years.

hurleyfor3
04-04-2011, 01:07 AM
well...a lot of people out west think Connecticut is a part of New York

I grew up in the part of Connecticut that pretty much is.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Uh No,

I’m not bitter about Duke losing, I’m not even bitter about Ucon or KU in particular. I’m just surprised that some defend and root for programs that think the rules are for suckers. I appreciate watching superior athletic ability as much as the next guy. But anyone who tells me that those two programs are competing on the same level playing field with Butler is delusional. Yeah, I route for the Butlers, and shoot yeah, the little guy. I also happen to be a Dukie because they do it right even though they aren’t the little guy. Oh, and by the way, I don’t remember the same “strutting” by Nolan and I haven’t missed a televised game in 4 years.

I have no problem with people not wanting Uconn to win. I do have a problem with calling out a kid who seems to be a great all around kid (especially with generally invalid an untrue criticisms).

http://hoopmixtape.ning.com/video/nolan-smith-dunks-on-virginia

Nice little fist pump there after a big dunk...followed by a little muscle flexing as he walked down the court. I fail to see how this is any different than ponding one's chest after making a big 3, regardless of previous shots falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLlOafV3hg

even better...walks up into the guys face with his arms raised

I don't care if nolan does it, I don't care if kemba does it...but please be consistent with your criticisms.

SuperTurkey
04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't believe this was posted yet, and I'm not sure where it came from, but I received a forward from my father today that is really well done:

[edited -- see comment below]

pfrduke
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't believe this was posted yet, and I'm not sure where it came from, but I received a forward from my father today that is really well done:

This looks very familiar - was a similar story run last season?

hurleyfor3
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
A few seconds of Googling reveals this article, referencing Cornell last year, not Butler.

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/751/cornell-players-given-high-quality-education

SuperTurkey
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
A few seconds of Googling reveals this article, referencing Cornell last year, not Butler.

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/751/cornell-players-given-high-quality-education

Ahh, I don't remember seeing it then. Forwards are like viruses, so it looks like this one adapted to fit its host.

DevilWearsPrada
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Houston we have a problem!! Batman and Robin cant make the final game this year. Robin sent THE BUTLER to sley the Huskies!! Quickly, Go Quickly. 40 minutes to snag the Banner and make the Final shot!! GO BULLDOGS!!!

Cameron
04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Listening to "From Connersville, Indiana" is like déjà vu, only this time I'm 3,000 miles away on my couch pouting. Is anybody else feeling unipolar depression right now?

Let's Go Butler!

DevilWearsPrada
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I have on my 2010 Final Four shirt I got in Indy last year. It has the Bulldogs on the front .... so wearing the shirt for Butler tonight. Still in Duke Depression, but glad for Butler, that they made it back to the Final Game! Go Dawgs!

heyman25
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Butler will be remembered for having the worst offensive performance in NCAA Championship History!

uh_no
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Butler will be remembered for having the worst offensive performance in NCAA Championship History!

I think someone scored 33 points once...

nice travel at the end

Bob Green
04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I think someone scored 33 points once...

You have to go all the way back to 1949 to find a team that scored less than 41 points in the Championship Game. Kentucky beat Oklahoma A&M 46-36.

hurleyfor3
04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
You have to go all the way back to 1949 to find a team that scored less than 41 points in the Championship Game. Kentucky beat Oklahoma A&M 46-36.

Little-known fact about that game is that Eddie Sutton managed to get both schools on probation.

Duvall
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM

No shot clock though. I bet that game was a lot less ugly on a per-possession basis than this one.

Andre Buckner Fan
04-04-2011, 11:57 PM
No shot clock though. I bet that game was a lot less ugly on a per-possession basis than this one.

Maybe we should have seen it coming. Butler-Duke was one of the best championship games ever. This was one of the worst.

No other way to say it.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
This was one of the worst.

For butler, sure. Uconn played great in the second half when they had all their players. The game wasn't really great to watch unless you had a vested interest, but I think it's silly to think that Uconn didn't play phenomenal defense (holding butler to TWO two point makes all game...and forcing them to take 33 3's)

barjwr
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
. . . I think it's silly to think that Uconn didn't play phenomenal defense (holding butler to TWO two point makes all game...and forcing them to take 33 3's)

I think UCon "forced" them to take 33 3s by simply taking the court against them: the height and length of the players had more to do with it than the specific defensive play of the Huskies. Or do you think that boy-genius Brad Stevens would have really been trying to get his undersized center and power forward shots inside against Oriakhi, et al?

uh_no
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I think UCon "forced" them to take 33 3s by simply taking the court against them: the height and length of the players had more to do with it than the specific defensive play of the Huskies. Or do you think that boy-genius Brad Stevens would have really been trying to get his undersized center and power forward shots inside against Oriakhi, et al?

I think uconn forced UK into 27 3s, their most this season, and then butler into 33....did UK also not have the power down low? There's no way around the fact that uconn played really good defense in houston.

heyman25
04-05-2011, 05:51 AM
You have to go all the way back to 1949 to find a team that scored less than 41 points in the Championship Game. Kentucky beat Oklahoma A&M 46-36. How about 18% FG shooting. Why is there always some historian who tries to defend the atrocious shooting of Butler. That was the least entertaining NCAA championship in my viewing lifetime period.

sporthenry
04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
I think uconn forced UK into 27 3s, their most this season, and then butler into 33....did UK also not have the power down low? There's no way around the fact that uconn played really good defense in houston.

Power down low? They had Harrelson who was in foul trouble and many would probably argue he wasn't 'powerful' down low. And UK also shot the 14th best from behind the arc in the country. So was it possible that UK took the shots they wanted and just missed?

CDu
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Actually, yes. UK has an undersized, perimeter-oriented team. Of the two bigs who play regularly, one is a Singler-like forward (Jones) and the other is not a big offensive threat (Harrellson). They use the "dribble-drive" offense, and against bigger teams they have frequently hoisted a lot of 3s and perimeter shots. And they shoot those 3s at a high percentage.

That said, UConn does play fantastic 2pt defense. They were in the top 10 in 2pt fg% against. So both statements (UConn was helped by the size advantage AND UConn plays tough interior defense) are accurate.

hq2
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Yes, but it wasn't just contested shots Butler missed; they missed a lot of open looks too, including threes. If they could have hit even 4 more shots during the time when they were going 1 for 21, it would have been a game. They just couldn't hit anything.

uh_no
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, but it wasn't just contested shots Butler missed; they missed a lot of open looks too, including threes. If they could have hit even 4 more shots during the time when they were going 1 for 21, it would have been a game. They just couldn't hit anything.

I agree. They missed a lot of open looks (especially layups). I must say, though, that's partially due to 10 BLOCKS. Even when you are open, you get scared that oriakhi is around the corner about to swat the ball to dallas. This causes rushed shots, and missed open layups. there also weren't THAT many open shots for butler. Read some of the brad stevens quotes where he talks about how much uconn challenged their shots

gumbomoop
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm still on the Butler bandwagon. Disappointed that Cody Zeller didn't join up. Happy that Rotnei Clark has.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6826264/rotnei-clarke-set-transfer-butler

Look for the Bulldogs to continue to make waves. By 2012-13, for example, I'd guess Khyle Marshall will be very good, and Butler will have 3 outstanding wing shooters in Clarke, Chase Stigall, and sneaky good 2011-'12 frosh, Kellen Dunham. If big 'ol Andrew Smith keeps developing, it's defending champ Duke v. Butler in the 2013 NC game.

Piece of cake.

CDu
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm still on the Butler bandwagon. Disappointed that Cody Zeller didn't join up. Happy that Rotnei Clark has.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6826264/rotnei-clarke-set-transfer-butler

Look for the Bulldogs to continue to make waves. By 2012-13, for example, I'd guess Khyle Marshall will be very good, and Butler will have 3 outstanding wing shooters in Clarke, Chase Stigall, and sneaky good 2011-'12 frosh, Kellen Dunham. If big 'ol Andrew Smith keeps developing, it's defending champ Duke v. Butler in the 2013 NC game.

Piece of cake.

It will be interesting to see how they do this year. They've now lost the three best players from their 2010 team and the two best players from their 2011 team, and two key contributors (Vanzant and Hahn). Considering that they were a 10-loss team last year (Pomeroy only had them at #41 AFTER the NCAA tourney run) and got very fortunate to win 4 of the 5 games they won in the tournament (albeit against very good comp), I don't know that I see big things from them this year.

Granted, they still play in the Horizon League, so they stand a good shot of making the tournament again. But they'll need a lot of development from Marshall, Nored, and Smith (as well as some emerging frosh) or some more really good fortune in the tournament.

If they can find the next Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard, and Gordon Hayward, maybe they'll keep it rolling. But that's asking a lot of that tiny little program.

gumbomoop
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how they do this year. I don't know that I see big things from them this year.

Maybe they'll keep it rolling. But that's asking a lot of that tiny little program.

Because I agree with you re 2011-'12, I delicately skipped past this season to focus on 2012-'13. Clarke, for example, isn't eligible until then, and even he has but a single season left. This season Butler will be good, but a deep run into the 2012 NCAAT would prove Brad Stevens is the 2d best coach in the country. [Gotta give Paul Hewitt his due.....]

Honestly, thinking ahead to 2012-'13, the best thing for the Bulldogs would be for Nored to go off to Europe this season - not to play - but to study, meditate maybe, so he could come back in 2012-'13 to play with 4 or 5 good, experienced guys. But even with Nored's leadership graduated, Butler should be very good by then.

As to a tiny program, absolutely true, but the billion dollar's worth of publicity they've reaped these past two seasons, and especially the "next-generation-K" reputation Stevens has garnered, should continue to pay striking dividends.

And if defending [also, per K-speak, "pursuing"] champ Duke isn't to play Butler in the Georgia Dome on April 8, 2013, who then?