PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans of other schools make fun of our players crying?

Kewlswim
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Don't you want kids playing on your team who care so very much that they cry when they know their playing time is over and they will never again wear the jersey and play for the school they love? I am actually surprised kids at other schools don't cry when their season is over too. Maybe they can't wait to get out of school? If so, I feel bad for them.

GO DUKE!

P.S. Kyrie I'm glad you feel so much for Duke that you cried too. Those of us who love Duke basketball had a tear or two too.

uh_no
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi,

Don't you want kids playing on your team who care so very much that they cry when they know their playing time is over and they will never again wear the jersey and play for the school they love? I am actually surprised kids at other schools don't cry when their season is over too. Maybe they can't wait to get out of school? If so, I feel bad for them.

GO DUKE!

P.S. Kyrie I'm glad you feel so much for Duke that you cried too. Those of us who love Duke basketball had a tear or two too.

PRetty sure people here have made fun of other players and coaches for crying...

1 24 90
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
It seems to me that it is pretty common for most teams to cry after being eliminated from the tourney. Jon Diebler's eyes were about as red as his jersey during the post game press conference last night. Just like Jimmy V said, to laugh, cry and think is a pretty complete day.

DukieInKansas
03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I always remember Adam Morrison on the court in tears after losing to Duke in the tournament. The players that went over to console him were Duke players.

As much as I dislike unc, I still feel bad for the players when they lose. I know that no one involved in any game wants to lose. It's ok to have compassion for the other team. I guess I expect to go both ways and don't understand when it doesn't.

1 24 90
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I always remember Adam Morrison on the court in tears after losing to Duke in the tournament. The players that went over to console him were Duke players.

As much as I dislike unc, I still feel bad for the players when they lose. I know that no one involved in any game wants to lose. It's ok to have compassion for the other team. I guess I expect to go both ways and don't understand when it doesn't.

Don't you mean UCLA?

proelitedota
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I only have sympathy for upper classmen if they cry. It's sad to have your last game of your career be a loss.

DukieInKansas
03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't you mean UCLA?

You are correct. I just like to give Duke all the credit. Might as well since we get all the calls. :D

It was very classy of the UCLA players.

enick66
03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Why do fans of other schools make fun of our players crying?

Because fans of those other schools hate Duke and revel in our misery. Most non-Duke fans root for Duke to lose and to suffer. Not saying it is right, but it is the way it is.

J4Kop99
03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Why did people make fun of the Miami Heat players for supposedly crying?

The American public loves to hate the great teams/players. Duke is constantly on TV, they constantly receive praise and they constantly win... people get sick of Duke.

It's the same thing with the Yankees and the Lakers.

If Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant were ever caught crying after a loss... good lord.

-Kobe and Derek Fisher were actually caught crying after a playoff loss to the Spurs (i believe) and as a Lakers fans, people still bring that up to me. However, if Kobe ever was caught like that today, it would be 10X as bad.

Atlanta Duke
03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Some fans revel in the disappointment of successful players for opposing teams - the Alabama side of the Georgia Dome erupted in cheers when Tim Tebow was in tears on the video screen after Bama beat Florida for the SEC championship in Tebow's senior year

T-shirts with that image were sold with the statement "Tim Tebow cried for our sins"

hudlow
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM

It's all they can find to make fun of...

kong123
03-26-2011, 06:25 PM

It's all they can find to make fun of...

no, there is plenty to make fun of. go read the IC, you may not enjoy all of the content posted on that site, but from time to time, people post incredibly witty things.

hudlow
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
no, there is plenty to make fun of. go read the IC, you may not enjoy all of the content posted on that site, but from time to time, people post incredibly witty things.

Then why don't you spend a little more time there?

kong123
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM

picking up ammo. :)

TonyWR
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Witty and unc fans....thats an oxymoron if there ever was one.

El_Diablo
03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Because he provides DBR with one legitimate contribution per year (like a generic UNC scouting report) and then gets subtle trolling rights for the next twelve months because "it's good to have a fresh perspective" around here. Get with the program, hudlow! ;)

davekay1971
03-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Similar reason any of us ever wade through the sewers of IC. Congrats on your team still being alive. It's been nice seeing all the true-blue Carolina fans around Charlotte finally digging their gear out of the closet and dusting it off to wear it around again. It was almost sad to see all the Carolina blue disappear last year. But those die-hard fans, man, they had that stuff within easy reach at the back of the closet to wear in public just in case Carolina started doing well again!

JG Nothing
03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
T-shirts with that image were sold with the statement "Tim Tebow cried for our sins"

Now that is pretty funny, no hilarious.

DukeDevilDeb
03-26-2011, 10:39 PM

If you think IC is witty, I for one would be happy to see you spending twice as much time there as you do now.

I have been on ic multiple times, and I have been overwhelmed by the level of the fans there. Admittedly, I only go on the public board...

weezie
03-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Because he provides DBR with one legitimate contribution per year (like a generic UNC scouting report) and then gets subtle trolling rights for the next twelve months because "it's good to have a fresh perspective" around here. Get with the program, hudlow! ;)

Ah yes, back to the "let's show how magnanimous and welcoming we are" theme again.
Come on hudlow, El Diablo is trying to help you see the light, lol.

As to the original question: other "fans" of "other schools" who make fun of our players very likely couldn't play their way out of paper bags.

gcashwell
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think there should be crying on the court/field in sports. It's a game/job.

Crying should be reserved for deaths and births.

MCFinARL
03-27-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't think there should be crying on the court/field in sports. It's a game/job.

"there's no crying in baseball," eh?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-27-2011, 02:18 AM

Could not disagree more! Crying is used to show deep emotion which covers more than just "deaths and births." If you are truly into a sports team (whether you are a fan or member) you feel pain when you lose and happiness when you win. I played sports growing up and if a loss was a "bad" loss I cried or got teary eyed.

uh_no
03-27-2011, 03:02 AM

Jim Valvano strongly disagrees. Perhaps you should watch his ESPY speech....

Duke: A Dynasty
03-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Jim Valvano strongly disagrees. Perhaps you should watch his ESPY speech....

Even if you already know the speech by heart you should watch it. That was a really really moving speech and I love hearing it over and over again.

Edouble
03-27-2011, 03:07 AM

It is a part of the human experience to feel deeply.

Should we not holler, and jump up and down with gleeful smiles when we win?

uh_no
03-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Should we not holler, and jump up and down with gleeful smiles when we win?

No. That should be reserved for Christmas and Bojangle's.

NashvilleDevil
03-27-2011, 08:01 AM
No. That should be reserved for Christmas and Bojangle's.

Kong this is what I call witty.

hudlow
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Come on hudlow, El Diablo is trying to help you see the light, lol.

...and it was so obvious!:cool:

Many Thanks!

Go Wildcats...ABC ...there's some ammo to carry back to IC.

GO DUKE!!!

MaxAMillion
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I would enjoy watching Carolina people cry after a loss...so I guess I can relate.