PDA

View Full Version : I think the mourning on this board is ridiculous

rthomas
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM
It's time to move on. Duke lost. Duke will lose again. Losing makes the winning sweet and Duke will win again. I promise. I promise.

Now put your sticks in the car, drive your sad selves to the golf course and whack some balls. It makes things a lot better. I don't care if you have never played before - just do it.

Stop whining. It's not becoming.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-26-2011, 09:01 AM
It's time to move on. Duke lost. Duke will lose again. Losing makes the winning sweet and Duke will win again. I promise. I promise.

Now put your sticks in the car, drive your sad selves to the golf course and whack some balls. It makes things a lot better. I don't care if you have never played before - just do it.

I don't play golf these days. I am going to the Spring Scrimmage today.

SupaDave
03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
It's more than mourning - it's withdrawal. It will leave the system on its on...

Utley
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Don't be too hard. I think the group is in collective shock. I love the way our program builds such high expectations - its jolting when we lose.

At the same time the OSU lose should provide some great perspective. Its not just us. There's no just no guarantees in a one and done tournament. Being good enough can typically get you to the Sweet Sixteen - from there on out the Gods have an awful lot to do with it.

moonpie23
03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
i was prepared for a loss....i always am....i was NOT prepared for how we got manhandled....i never am....

Jason W
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
It's more than mourning - it's withdrawal. It will leave the system on its on...

Every day of my life for the last twenty five years, I think about and look forward to the next time I see Duke play basketball. For the last four or so of those, I've looked forward to seeing Kyle and Nolan play. I'm not going to see the latter ever again, so i feel like mourning a little. And btw, if you ever saw me play golf, you'd tell me to put those sticks up and mourn what I did to your game. uuuuuuuuuggggggggllllyyyyyyyy

Faison1
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't call it whining. For me, I'm totally bummed that I don't get to see Kyle and Nolan play again. I feel like I know those guys after 4 years of passionate rooting for them.

So, you'll pardon people like me for being slightly emotional/depressed about not seeing some friends again.

Atlanta Duke
03-26-2011, 09:21 AM
i was prepared for a loss....i always am....i was NOT prepared for how we got manhandled....i never am....

Also did not see this team losing in that manner to a #5 seed, but getting (to use K's term) "buzzsawed" like that is for me easier to take than a Pitt, Ohio State, or Indiana 2002 type loss - or maybe since I recognize how much luck goes into ending the season with a win it is easier for me to move on than when I was younger

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I am in mourning and I am definitely ok with that and definitely not worried about others' feelings about my mini-depression.

Everyone has their hobby - some drink, some play a sport, some gamble, some cheat....Whoops....started listing all of my co-workers' hobbies. The same co-workers who think it is ok to harass me in my darkest hour. They don't get it and they don't matter. My bad....but let the rant continue.

I spend most of my time following, watching, reading about Duke basketball. My playing days were ended abruptly when I suffered a career-ending knee injury in college. I didn't get to play my last game. I didn't get to realize my full potential as a college athlete after an unbelievable high school career. So, in a sense, I have some weird, emotional, healthy/unhealthy (depending on which way you look at it) connection to Duke.

In another sense, my life has been in complete turmoil over the past 2 years with some unfortunate family circumstances. I have turned to Duke to give me something to look forward to. For two hours a night, I can get away from all the madness and just enjoy something that's so pure and innocent - kids playing the game they love. With the season being over, I feel like my "escape from cold reality" has been taken away. Call me crazy, that's fine....but please don't tell me to not be a little upset with a loss....and please don't tell me not to be sad that two of the greatest kids to ever wear the Duke jersey will not be back.

I will forever be proud to be a Duke Girl.

rsvman
03-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow. Great post, DukeGirl.

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Wow. Great post, DukeGirl.

Thanks! My heart is in the right place....with the greatest college coach and the most devoted group of guys who play for the name on the front of their jersey!

Edouble
03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Every day of my life for the last twenty five years, I think about and look forward to the next time I see Duke play basketball. For the last four or so of those, I've looked forward to seeing Kyle and Nolan play. I'm not going to see the latter ever again, so i feel like mourning a little.

Wait--did Kyle get a fifth year of eligibility!?!?

ncexnyc
03-26-2011, 11:42 AM

I think taking a few swings at a pinata shaped like Ol'Roy's head would be a lot more therapeutic. Throw some brats and burgers on the grill, while chugging a few brews will definitely get you in the right mood.

LSanders
03-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I think taking a few swings at a pinata shaped like Ol'Roy's head would be a lot more therapeutic.

Just make sure you include one of those God-awful, K-Mart special, puke blue ties around its neck.

I will forever be proud to be a Duke Girl.

Amen ... Except for the girl part.

wsb3
03-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks! My heart is in the right place....with the greatest college coach and the most devoted group of guys who play for the name on the front of their jersey!

I concur Duke Girl. Great post... The 2001 Championship always hits home with me as the Saturday morning we basically got my Dad's death sentence. My Mom with limited understanding of the game loved Coach K and Duke. That weekend I felt like for a few hours on Saturday and Monday Night that my mom had a break from watching the man she was in love with for 59 years wither away.

Scorp4me
03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
This thread reminds me of the opposing fans who love to point out the Duke players who cry following their last loss. Carawell his last year and of course Nolan last night. I'm quite the opposite and love that we have players who care so much. I think the same can be said of our fans.

For me I'm definitely more disappointed in having wonderful players who will be moving on than I am in the loss. We are truly lucky.

Jeff Frosh
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
I understand where the OP is coming from, but, with all due respect, everyone mourns in a different manner, and that should be respected. And, yes, I know that losing a basketball game should not be equated with a death, but, as Duke Girl so eloquently and passionately expressed, Duke Basketball is amazingly important for most of us on this board in many personal ways. I am still in pain, which will diminish as time goes by and next season approaches. I sincerely wish all of you the best during your personal mourning period.

BCGroup
03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Duke Girl, thanks for summing up how many of us feel. For me, Duke BB is something my dad and I share. Since I got married and moved a year ago, we haven't been able to go to a game together. I'm balancing a new husband, 13 year old stepson, and as of Dec 21 a new 16 year old foster son who had been homeless. The one time I get to turn everything off and enjoy something with my dad (via telephone). I'm choosing to cut myself and every other duke fan some slack and not reading the sports pages.

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you to all of you for responding to my post, and most of all, for "getting it". Basketball was not just a game for me. I am where I am today because of it. I received a full scholarship to college; without it, I wouldn't have gone to college, I probably wouldn't be a teacher, and I would not have the kind of life I have. I am grateful for this "game" and I am even more grateful to cheer for a program that has done it the right way with great kids.

Thank you to all of you for giving me a place to express my quirkiness. Not too many people understand where all of my passion and obsessiveness comes from, but you do. I consider you to be more of a friend than my actual friends! :)

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-26-2011, 04:37 PM
When Duke loses a big game, I get calls from friends expressing condolences. I generally respond by asking "did someone die?"

I'm very disappointed whenever Duke loses ... Especially a big game. But a few hours later I remember that it's just a game, I'm just a fan, and life goes on.

MartyClark
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM

You are completely correct. I don't care about golf, but you are right, I need to move on.

Nevertheless, this was a really tough ending to the season. It always takes me a few weeks to get over the end of a Duke season like this. Should I get a life? Probably, but I get so much enjoyment out of the season that I am always sad when it ends in something other than a national championship.

Golf stinks but I need to do some spring skiing. See you all next season.

hurleyfor3
03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
When I see the words "mourning" and "ridiculous" together on DBR, I think of Phil Henderson in the 1989 regional final.

DevilWearsPrada
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I am cheering for the Butler Bulldogs.

And also the Duke Girls! They are in the UConn bracket (dadgumit).

I woke up this morning, and was over the mourning and gloom. No one died, no one was hurt, and life goes on, and the sun did come up today.

Because, Duke will play Basketball again!

DukeGirl4ever
03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I am cheering for the Butler Bulldogs.

And also the Duke Girls! They are in the UConn bracket (dadgumit).

I woke up this morning, and was over the mourning and gloom. No one died, no one was hurt, and life goes on, and the sun did come up today.

Because, Duke will play Basketball again!

Go Duke ladies...but I love Geno and UCONN as well (of course NOTHING in comparison to my Duke boys), so that should be a win-win situation and keep me intrigued with basketball.

My mourning period was cut short with a wonderful shopping trip and a Butler victory...life is going on! :p

Jason W
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Was worried that would come out wrong. I meant I'll still look forward to seeing Duke play, but I'll never see those two again.

OldSchool
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM

How about let's put one of those nose-moustache-glasses thing on him and bring him out on the court next year and see if anyone notices...

Verga3
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Casey Peters, Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith are three of of classiest seniors that have ever put on a Duke jersey. I will never forget them....I would hope there were tears from these men.

BobbyFan
03-26-2011, 10:46 PM
How about let's put one of those nose-moustache-glasses thing on him and bring him out on the court next year and see if anyone notices...

Bobby Valentine should have a spare:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bobby_valentine_fake_mustache.jpg

uh_no
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Bobby Valentine should have a spare:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bobby_valentine_fake_mustache.jpg

Oh man. I remember watching that live. He got in big trouble.

J4Kop99
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
You say Mourning, I say Alonzo.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-27-2011, 02:40 AM
When Duke loses a big game, I get calls from friends expressing condolences. I generally respond by asking "did someone die?"

I'm very disappointed whenever Duke loses ... Especially a big game. But a few hours later I remember that it's just a game, I'm just a fan, and life goes on.

To some people its more than that though (see Duke girl). I too view it as more than just a game. My freinds and family know that if they are wanting to schedule something they do it around Duke games cause idc what it is I will skip it to watch Duke. Duke basketball is a big part of my life along with family and friends and I get preety upset when things do not go our way

BCGroup
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Another duke fan's take: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/27/2175342/im-down-and-dont-want-to-get-over.html

1991 duke law
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
To some people its more than that though (see Duke girl). I too view it as more than just a game. My freinds and family know that if they are wanting to schedule something they do it around Duke games cause idc what it is I will skip it to watch Duke. Duke basketball is a big part of my life along with family and friends and I get preety upset when things do not go our way

I agree. Nothing wrong with mourning or being upset. I try very hard to convince myself not to get upset about it but the proverbial pain will linger for a long time. When you vest so much emotional energy in the team for five months and follow every bump along the way, it is pretty difficult to simply turn it off when the season ends on a losing note. Whining and complaining is not becoming, but mourning and being upset is normal.

Deladev
03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I would appreciate it if you refrained from telling me How To Feel and whether or not I Can or Can Not Whine. Every soul deals with grief in a personal way.

Deladev for Duke

throatybeard
03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
When I see the words "mourning" and "ridiculous" together on DBR, I think of Phil Henderson in the 1989 regional final.

That's powerful funny.

My grandfather...OK look, he was a white guy born in 1916. He moved from upstate NY to NC in 1919 and lived there the rest of his life. I mean, he voted for some anti-Civil Rights people like Helms, but as GI generation white people go he was one of the better ones, OK. So I think I can tell this.

We get up to see my Grandparents in Lexington NC in April 1989. Spring break I guess. I'm 12.5yo. It's after we beat GU and lost to Seton Hall in the semis after that Australian goon takes out Brickey and we lose an 18-point lead. But my Papa isn't focused on that any more. I get in the door, and he says "did you see what our short colored boy did to Georgetown's center?"

Sigh. But yeah. If you're out there, Phil Henderson, you're one of my childhood heroes, not a "short colored boy." And what you did to Zo rings out here 22 years later.

muzikfrk75
03-28-2011, 12:17 AM

This.