PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Open Letter from Matthew Laurance to Kyle Singler & Nolan Smith

SmartDevil
03-26-2011, 02:58 AM
In case some folks somehow happened to miss Matthew Laurance's open letter to Nolan and Kyle, you'll find it below.

Matthew, you speak for us all in capturing many of our deep and strong feelings about these magnificent Blue Devil heroes.

--------------------------------

An Open Letter From Matthew Laurance To Kyle Singler & Nolan Smith

Dear Nolan and Kyle,

As I sit here the morning after, listening to fans from all over the country celebrate Duke’s loss, I’m compelled to put my feelings out there as well.

I’m sorry that your careers at Duke had to end the way that they did. I’m heartbroken that the last time you wore that jersey it was covered in tears mixed with your sweat. Having been in Duke locker rooms when a game in the tournament ends in a loss for 9 of my 10 years behind the bench, I know how badly it hurts.

It hurts for all of us.

But that hurt is infinitesimal compared to the pride we all feel having watched you both grow into the men you’ve become. No one has ever worn that uniform with greater distinction than the two of you. No one has ever given more, or been more committed, than the two of you. No one has ever represented Duke, its fans, and its heritage better than the two of you.

Living in a place where hating Duke and its players is commonplace, I have never been prouder of being part of the Duke family than I am today…….and it has nothing to do with wins or losses.

It has to do with truly knowing that Duke Basketball is Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, and that if my two sons grow up to be anything like the men that the two of you are, my heart will overflow with joy.

From the bottom of all our hearts……….thank you.

Matthew

SmartDevil
03-26-2011, 04:04 AM
I should have known better than to post at 2 a.m. rather than being in bed.....left out the "l" in Singler in retyping...and haven't been able to edit....ack..

DevilWearsPrada
03-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Matthew's letter was moving, and even has me tearing up. Matthew's heart will always be with Duke Basketball. Unfortunately, he is in Kentucky, and doing the same thing for Univ of Kent. He certainly had to sacrifice his love of Duke, for his family and make the move to UK.

Driving to Indy last year, and back, and while driving across Kentucky, I listened to Matthew on the sport radio there. It was so good to hear him again, and of course the talk was about the Final 4. So Matthew, will get to advance with UK, and talk all about the Wildcats (beat Unc)!

Such a tribute to Kyle and Nolan. Matthew's letters sum it up beautiful. Those two wore the Duke jersey and represented Duke University and Duke basketball wonderfully for four years. And in May will graduate. What a wonderful jesture, on Matthew's part. I miss Matthew sitting behind Coach K and giving us the Huddle talk wrap ups. And of Course, Matthew, will always be Dr Silver to me. (Beverly Hills 90210).

And goodness sakes, sometimes we all have to be Univ of Kentucky Wildcats fans and cheer along with Ashley Judd and Matthew Laurance on the sideline. Go Kentucky and beat the TAR our of the TARHOLES.

GO WILDCATS, at least on Sunday!

Wonderful letter!

dukeman28428
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Matthew for posting this letter. In my opinion, you have summed up the feelings for all Duke fans on how much we appreciate and value the contributions of these two fine young men to Duke...not only to basketball but to Duke. Naturally, they are hurt over this loss but it is temporary and they will go on to have great lives and will build on this. I am very proud of them and the Duke team. During Nolan and Kyle's careers, I think Duke had 125 wins......and a National Championship.....Hats off to two great players.....we love you and go forth with your heads high on what you have done. Come back to Cameron as often as you can as you will always be part of the team.

oldnavy
03-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Two of the best ever to wear the uniform IMO, and I will miss them both!

Thanks guys, it was a heck of a ride!!

captmojo
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
The eloquence of this letter is beautiful. It is also very timely and so very true. I support it completely.

AZLA
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Good letter. Amongst the many accolades, Kyle and Nolan brought Duke a National Championship, and they did it together. Coming back their senior season gave us the privilege of extending that magic from last season. They will go down as one of the favorite Duke duos of all time, and individually, rank among the best ambassadors of the game we've had (both on and off the court). I'm excited for them that they will graduate and I hope they have a great professional careers.