PDA

View Full Version : The Karma Factor

tommy
03-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Arizona played much better than we did on both ends of the floor in the second half and obviously deserved to win. There are many x's and o's reasons, psychological reasons, and other reasons directly tied to what was going on in that game.

But I can't help thinking that maybe we had some negative karma working against us. I just feel like a lot of Duke fans, and obviously a lot of posters on these boards spent almost the entire year looking over our collective shoulders. We were waiting, waiting, waiting for news on Kyrie, we were wondering, wondering, wondering if he'd make it back and if so, when? Between them, those threads had thousands of posts on them. We -- or at least a lot of us -- weren't able to really live in the moment, enjoy the team as it was without Kyrie, and actually feel like sure, it would be great if he came back, but I'm not going to worry about it and just enjoy this team without him because this team is a great team in its own right. In fact, a team capable of going all the way, even without him.

So then, by some kind of medical miracle, Kyrie makes it back. He gets his game back in shape seemingly overnight once he was cleared to practice. But the karma is bad. Instead of simply propelling us to another level, his presence makes our All-American guard, who has carried us all year, unsure of what he should be doing, where he should be. And he looks lost out there. Our leader is looking lost and playing lost, and this discombobulates the whole team, understandably.

Not an argument against Kyrie coming back. Not at all. But I just wonder if all the hand-wringing that was done for 3 1/2 months about it didn't just cosmically come back to bite us.

Chris Randolph
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Disagree with this theory. Karma is not the reason Arizona shot 55% and 60% from 3. They fed off their All American and played their best game of the year. As for your theory on Nolan being affected by Kyrie: Nolan seemed just fine against Hampton and Michigan, he just didn't show up last night: 3 of 14 with 6 turnovers, that has nothing to do with Kyrie being on the floor. Nolan ran off screens, got high ball screens from the Plums, had iso situation (just like every other game he played in this year), he just didn't get it done.

Sure, bringing Kyrie back at this time was either going to be great or questioned. But he is one of the top 3 players in the country, everyone and their momma would have bashed Coach K if he didn't bring him back.

We just got whooped, karma or NOT

RockyMtDevil
03-25-2011, 03:49 PM
I didn't realize Williams' first name was Karma.

MulletMan
03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I didn't realize Williams' first name was Karma.

Middle name. Middle.

But really... it wasn't just him. It was Momo too. What it wasn't was bad Kharma. Well, maybe not all of it...

OldPhiKap
03-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon,
you come and go, you come and go . . . .

OldPhiKap
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
(and, yes, I will hate myself in the morning for posting that).

weezie
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Why wait OPK? Grooaaan :cool:

jaytoc
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Why wait?

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
What the hell is a karma chameleon, anyway? Karma that changes colors? Karma that disappears sometimes? A chameleon that gets back at you?

jdk
03-25-2011, 05:43 PM
We used to call it woofing, and too much would yield a negative response from the woof gods.

I really thought people went overboard with it last season and earlier this year, especially the mouth-breathers on other forums.

yancem
03-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I do think that there may have been some karma at work this season but I think it stems more from the gloating about Barnes' early season struggles then the pining for KI to come back. Many in the Duke fan base bashed Barnes in ways I've never seen or heard. Most of them are eating crow pie right now. With another 20 point game last night he is on the verge of taking unc to the final 4 while our high and mightly Blue Devils are sitting at home.

Now I was one of the people that thought that Duke could be dominate before KI got injured and was hoping for another unc crash around the same time but I never bought into the Barnes is a massive flop talk. Now he is looking like the preseason AA the press made him out to be and the #%@$!^ tar holes are in the great 8 and I have to root for KY so that they don't reach the F4.

Karma's a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. but I can at least hope that Barnes, Henson and maybe even Zeller exit stage left after the season. This could set up unc for another miserable season next year. Of course if all three stay then @$#%^#@$#^#$%@^&$*@#%@%^#&#!!!!!!!!