PDA

View Full Version : Will you be rooting for anyone else to win the NCAA, and why?

Duke Mom
03-25-2011, 12:57 PM
With pride, admiration and yes, some sadness - we know that our beloved Blue Devils are coming home; however, the NCAA tournament continues with some amazing talent and exciting college basketball. With all due respect to our team - just wondered if any of you are now rooting for anyone else in particular to win it - and if so, why that particular team?

mkline09
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
With pride, admiration and yes, some sadness - we know that our beloved Blue Devils are coming home; however, the NCAA tournament continues with some amazing talent and exciting college basketball. With all due respect to our team - just wondered if any of you are now rooting for anyone else in particular to win it - and if so, why that particular team?

Butler mainly because I respect what there program and how Brad Steven runs it. Also because they are the underdog. I'll root for FSU too but my heart isn't really in it too much now.

duke86
03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Butler mainly because I respect what there program and how Brad Steven runs it. Also because they are the underdog. I'll root for FSU too but my heart isn't really in it too much now.

Butler will be my team for the rest of the tourney. Though, can't really complain about anyone, except for Carolina. ABC...that's my mentality.

DukeUva Parent
03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't expect them to win, but I'm rooting for VCU and University of Richmond because we've lived in the Richmond area for almost 15 years, so it is our "adopted" hometown. In addition, my husband got his MBA at VCU and we have a daughter who completed her graduate work at U. of R. I have seen U. of Richmond play several times this year, including a loss to Xavier and a win against VCU. I've been very impressed with U. of Richmond's coach, Princeton grad, Chris Mooney.
Have a feeling both Smart and Mooney will be gone next year. The disadvantage of a midmajor reaching the Sweet 16 is that the school often loses their coach.

GLTBD
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
A.B.C.

no explanation needed

Chicago 1995
03-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Mom and Dad live near Gainesville now, and they had season tix up until last year, so we're Gator fans, although none of us will be rooting against Butler exactly.

Mostly, rooting against UNC, UK and KU. I guess UConn, although I like Kemba so much it makes me more indifferent about them.

CLW
03-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Rooting for Butler to take out Kansas and Ohio St. in the Final 4

AlaskanAssassin
03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Funny how most of us want Butler to win, and their fans hate us. They chanted A-RI-ZO-NA at their game against Wisconsin.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Either Ohio State or Butler. Why tOSU?

* because we wouldn't have beaten them anyway
* because it means unc wouldn't be in the Final Four
* because nothing about them or their fanbase annoys me
* because i don't want to see another coach with three titles
* because they have been the most consistently good team all year. Who else deserves it more?

Wouldn't mind Kansas winning it either.

Reisen
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Anyone who is playing UConn or Carolina. I'd also prefer someone other than Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, or Kansas wins it. I'd be fine with Ohio State or Marquette, and would really get into it if VCU, Richmond, or Butler was playing in the championship.

wgl1228
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I gotta go with FSU for ACC puposes and then Butler. Anybody but UNC, Kansas, or Ohio State.

WiJoe
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
ABc; but, can't stand (in order) conn-victs, marq, az, ky, ku, osu, fla. I'd be OK with butler, fla. st., vcu, richmond. so, the way things go, i will be disappointed by one of the first eight i listed winning. will be sick if nc wins.

DevilWearsPrada
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Butler Bulldogs

I learned about Butler when Josh McRoberts was at Duke. His parents were both alum at Butler, when Dad played Basketball and his lovely Mother, Jennifer played volleyball. The two years that Josh was at Duke, I had a good friendship with Jennifer, and her mother, Caroline.

And Butler was showing up in the NCAA dance also. I always watched the mid majors and Cinderella teams. And last season, Butler was in the Top 10 and won the Horizon league hands down. And watching their team and their young coach maximize their potential and talents was amazing.

Also, being in Indianapolis last Final 4, and touring Butler campus, and the sincere kindness and hospitality of the local Indy people, made me a fan of Butler and their wonderful coach, Brad Stevens.

Although, I had Butler upsetting Pitt in my bracket, I did not have Butler in the Final 4, although I wanted to see a Duke Butler rematch this year for the championship game. That will not be.

Butler is a small school. Reminds me of Elon University. So refreshining last Spring to see Butler and Duke battle it out. Two small private universities, where the athletes are students! Where they graduate and go to class and engage with their peers. And knocking out WVirginia and Mich St.... which were 2 programs entirely different than the small private schools.

BUTLER is my team. AND ABC.

When Coach K retires, I would love to see Coach Brad Stevens, as the new Coach of Duke University. He maximizes his team to their potential. Reminds me of Coach K, but without the $$**##%% (language). And whenever, Coach Stevens gets ready to leave Indianapolis, any job he wants, will be his. He is only 34 years old, so he says. Looks like an undergrad to me. lol

Go Bulldogs! Hink the mascot

UrinalCake
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
I'd like for Arizona to win it all. Would give me some peace during the offseason knowing we lost to the best team who happened to be underseeded.

Duke Mom
03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Just in case there's another dummy like me out there - ABC is?

Fish80
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Either Ohio State or Butler.

Agree. And Ohio State is my only team left in the office pool. Definitely not U of Anything (UConn, UNC, UofF, UofK, . . .).

AlaskanAssassin
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Anyone But Carolina

DevilWearsPrada
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd like for Arizona to win it all. Would give me some peace during the offseason knowing we lost to the best team who happened to be underseeded.

Thats a great choice UC. I think Zona was underseeded. Williams looks like a seasoned NBA player. A man among boys last night. I could be happy for Sean Miller with a National Title.

I am just cheering on the small schools (Butler, VCU and Richmond). Zona is a great pick.

Duke Mom
03-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone But Carolina

Ahhhh, thank you, lol. Makes so much sense now! (where is the emoticon for embarrassed?)

comdytrd
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
our son went to Florida, but his new bride is getting our suport; she went to Butler and doesn't hate us for last year, so she wins!:)

DevilWearsPrada
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Ahhhh, thank you, lol. Makes so much sense now! (where is the emoticon for embarrassed?)

Mom, you knew, you just forgot what ABC meant. You are probably still in mourning from last night. I am.

Just cheer GTHC GTH! 9F 9F

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
In decending order of agreeability:

Butler
Richmond
Vcu
Marquette
Fsu
tOSU
Zona
Kansas
Ct
Ky*
Florida
unc

Realistically, tOSU and to a lesser extent Kansas are better than any team ranked above them. Huge gap below Kansas. Even bigger gap below Flawda.

*Probably belongs outside this continuum, as whatever Ky does will be vacated anyway.

MChambers
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Funny how most of us want Butler to win, and their fans hate us. They chanted A-RI-ZO-NA at their game against Wisconsin.
I didn't know that, but I'm not rooting for the Butler fans. I'm rooting for Stevens. I was thinking this morning that he seems to be the real deal. He's apparently a great coach with real values.

cspan37421
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Why: Small private school (underdog profile), playing at a high level through excellent fundamentals, academic all-Americans, kind of reminds me of Duke in the mid 80s, though Duke is a bit larger (and while we prided ourselves on graduating our players, I'm not sure how many academic A-As we had; I think Quin was one).

Others -

tOSU would be OK, as they're just an amazing team, but the smell from the football program that wafts through the athletic dept and seems to have Gordon Gee cowering turns me away from rooting too hard for them as a school.

AZ would be OK; I hope they play from here on out with the same fire they mustered for us. I heard something about Derrick Williams was the least highly regarded among his fellow AZ recruiting class? Crazy. But it's pretty inspiring to see someone grow in their game way beyond expectations.

Def. not UConn - in a just world, Calhoun would be serving his suspension now, not at his convenience. Nor UK - coach there always seems to be around shady dealings, though he's shown to be teflon.

rthomas
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
The Master's is the next thing I'll pay attention to.

94duke
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM

to the right, 3rd row middle :o

:)

SmartDevil
03-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Butler
Richmond
Vcu
Marquette
Fsu
tOSU
Zona
Kansas
Ct
Ky
Florida
unc.

Pretty close to my list but I'd flip OSU and Arizona--I'm no fan of Zona as I did not care for Lute in his day but the deeper Zona goes in the tourney, the less bad our loss looks.
2. I'd also move up Fla about 3 spots due to subjective positive associations with the state.

UNC would be firmly entrenched in last place due to the enmity both Roy and the Tar Hole fan base have earned. But Calhoun's CT and Calipari's KY would not rank much above UNC in my feeling-based heirarchy here.

cbnaylor
03-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Duke's off season is the next thing for me! :) Go Duke.

Scorp4me
03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I didn't know that, but I'm not rooting for the Butler fans. I'm rooting for Stevens. I was thinking this morning that he seems to be the real deal. He's apparently a great coach with real values.

I agree, I think most of their fans are pretty fair when it comes to Duke. If I'm not mistaken K scheduled Butler a few years back as one of those mid-majors you might meet in the tournament. Maybe I'm wrong. But in any case, I'll pull for them and would have loved to met them in the finals again.

uh_no
03-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm probably rooting for uconn....but i don't know that they can handle the freight train that was arizona...

sandinmyshoes
03-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd rank UK and UConn below UNC if it were not for the proximity factor. I just don't know that many UK or UConn fans I'd have to listen to. So while I'd grudgingly admit that UNC's program seems "cleaner" than UConn and UK, and their fans less lunatic than UK's, they're just the fans I'd have to hear the most from.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken K scheduled Butler a few years back as one of those mid-majors you might meet in the tournament.

2003 season, we won 80-60 in Cameron. Their coach was Lickliter, not Stevens, but they did make the Sweet 16 that year.

dynastydefender
03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
ABc; but, can't stand (in order) conn-victs, marq, az, ky, ku, osu, fla. I'd be OK with butler, fla. st., vcu, richmond. so, the way things go, i will be disappointed by one of the first eight i listed winning. will be sick if nc wins.

Can't stand KY? When are the Blue Bloods of this Sport going to bond together against our common foe UNC? HA

dynastydefender
03-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Butler
Richmond
Vcu
Marquette
Fsu
tOSU
Zona
Kansas
Ct
Ky*
Florida
unc

Realistically, tOSU and to a lesser extent Kansas are better than any team ranked above them. Huge gap below Kansas. Even bigger gap below Flawda.

*Probably belongs outside this continuum, as whatever Ky does will be vacated anyway.

How about my Signature pic? Remember that one? That one wasn't vacated.

dynastydefender
03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Rooting for UK.
Doesn't matter if you love the Cats or hate them...you have to respect the. I feel the same way about Duke. This is big of me to say because I still feel the sting of Laettner from all the way back in 1992!!

superdave
03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Rooting for UK.
Doesn't matter if you love the Cats or hate them...you have to respect the. I feel the same way about Duke. This is big of me to say because I still feel the sting of Laettner from all the way back in 1992!!

Very few Duke fans respect UK or Calipari. I'm sure you know all the reasons better than I do. Never gonna happen.

dynastydefender
03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I'd rank UK and UConn below UNC if it were not for the proximity factor. I just don't know that many UK or UConn fans I'd have to listen to. So while I'd grudgingly admit that UNC's program seems "cleaner" than UConn and UK, and their fans less lunatic than UK's, they're just the fans I'd have to hear the most from.

Here's a UK Fan. Yes we are a bit lunatic. However, What other state rallies around a program like that? You are not going to ever hear me say that I hate Duke even considering the history of the two programs. I will say I hate UNC with raw anger!! I joined a Duke Basketball message board for pete's sake!!

RoyalBlue08
03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Butler is at the top of my list (and apparently I am not in the minority here). Really respect what they have done as a program and like the kids on that team. Also have found myself rooting for Ohio State at times. As odd as that seems to me, I really like the Sullinger kid, and would feel just fine with him and the veterans on that team winning the title.

UNC is obviously at the bottom, but UConn is really close that the bottom as well. Calhoun shouldn't get a title in the same year he was caught cheating. Don't really want to have to stomach Cal's semi-pro team winning either. Anyone else would be fine.

uh_no
03-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Calhoun shouldn't get a title in the same year he was caught cheating.

He was caught cheating 2 years ago and was only sanctioned this year.

Kfanarmy
03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Still in shock from last night...so probably done with NCAA Basketball until Duke walks back on the floor for next season. Can't really root for anyone. Believe AZ MAY have burned up all their shooting luck last night, and their shooting % in one of the next couple of games will dip well below average ending their season before the National Championship game...so if I had to root for anyone it would be FSU. If I watch anything it will likely be the Devil Women.

devildeac
03-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm probably rooting for uconn....but i don't know that they can handle the freight train that was arizona...

I'll make a small wager that the Arizona team performs at a somewhat lower level tomorrow than they did last PM. They are good but last night they were almost unreal. I couldn't believe their FG% was only 54% for the game.

devildeac
03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I'll start with making Marquette by next favorite team in the tourney.

Jeff0r3
03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
any team other than UNC!

weezie
03-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Opening Day, 3/31/11, Tigers @ Yankees 1:05pm, Miguel Cabrera steps to the plate.

And, Lord Stanley's Cup.

dukegirl
03-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I'll make a small wager that the Arizona team performs at a somewhat lower level tomorrow than they did last PM. They are good but last night they were almost unreal. I couldn't believe their FG% was only 54% for the game.

I believe their FG% second half was 75%.

MChambers
03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Seemed like it was higher and they got the offensive rebound on every miss.

Duke: A Dynasty
ABC!!!

But primarily Butler from the right side and Arizona from the left side.

Butler because I have a lot of respect for that program, its players, and Brad Stevens.

Zona because they beat us and I always feel better if we lost to the team that won it all

SoCalDukeFan
Will root for

Butler - Love the coach and program
Florida State - ACC and not UNC
The high seeds
Arizona

Will root against
UNC-CH
UConnvicts

SoCal

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 03:34 PM

As mentioned in the postgame thread, Arizona scored on three-quarters of its second half possessions, 27 of 36. But due to offensive rebounding their FG% was a good bit lower. It sure seemed like they scored on every shot, though.

mgtr
03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Mark me down in the ABC column.

devildeac
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM

From GoDuke:

1st half: 13/27-48.1%, including 6/8 3pt
2nd half: 21/36-58.3%, including 3/7 3pt
Game: 34/63-54%.

It only seemed like 75%:mad:.

I should have put the # up with my 1st post.

dukegirl
03-25-2011, 04:07 PM
It only seemed like 75%:mad:.

I stand corrected. Scored on 27 of 36 possessions not attempts...but you're right, it DID seem like they hit at least 75%!:mad:

jv001
03-25-2011, 04:26 PM
My official golf season began last night around 12 midnight. Sure hope it warms up quickly. Looking like rain for the next 3 or 4 days. What a bummer. But as always, GoDuke!

SCMatt33
03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
There's really no one left to root "for" per say, but I always have my list of who I'm rooting against.

1. carolina
2. carolina
50. carolina
51. uk
52. uconn
53. uk
54. uconn
100. Kansas
101. Florida

Actually, now that I think about it, I might root FOR Florida. That way, if they win, we can all tell carolina fans how Billy Donovan has more titles than Dean. That would be funny. Scratch everything else, I'm rooting for Florida.

DukeCrow
03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Obviously, ABC.
Also rooting for ABuCONNvicts.

I grew up in Buckeye country, so I'll be pulling for tOSU. Can't help but root for FSU as the only ACC team left that's not wearing Tar Hole blue.

Butler is, of course, easy to root for, as well. (No offense to any other Duke coaches, but when K retires any chance we can get Brad Stevens? haha)

geraldsneighbor
03-25-2011, 04:39 PM
1. Im cheering against UNC.
2. Butler. They play the right way and are likable to me.
3. Ohio State as the national champ is who I'm pulling for. They have seniors who've paid their dues.

dukebluesincebirth
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
ABC

C= Carolina and Calipari

Jderf
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Anyone But Carolina

Must be the reason why Duke students love shopping at ABC stores so much.

DukeFanSince1990
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Butler - love the coach.

DukeWarhead
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
If by some weird chain of events Arizona faces UNC in the final four, they better not revert to crappy ball and give UNC the easy win! But I could see it happening. They'd get a case of the Clemsons agains the tarholes and turn it over ever trip down the floor. Ugh.
Go Richmond!

rthomas
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I might root FOR Florida. That way, if they win, we can all tell carolina fans how Billy Donovan has more titles than Dean. That would be funny. Scratch everything else, I'm rooting for Florida.

If Florida and Billy Donovan win, think a certain someone would re-open their recruitment again?

OK, that is not funny.

DevilOfATime
03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I won't be rooting for anyone. Maybe Ohio State and Butler even though I am not a fan. I just like their head coaches. For me its back to the NFL routine and back with my beloved Indianapolis Colts and to the Indianapolis Colts message boards and reading up on their draft prospects and praying that there will be a season. Or it will be a very long wait from now until College BB heats up. I just want some NFL played this season. :(

sporthenry
03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I have to agree with opening day and Masters. For some reason, this one seems to hurt almost as much as '99. I guess I just wasn't expecting the loss and hadn't prepared myself at all and Duke seemed like a title contender this year which really couldn't be said of the years they lost to Nova, VCU, or WVU. I guess it feels similar to the loss to LSU as well but when they lost to LSU, LSU just exploited weaknesses. Perhaps this team with all the potential left untapped it just hurts more. I don't buy into the whole Duke can't hang with these athletic guards stuff. 'Zona hit their shots but I don't think their athleticism killed Duke, Duke just look rattled which is rare.

But I have little intention of going out of my way to watch the rest of the tourney. And my bracket being shot gives me little motivation to watch with so little storylines without Jimmer and SDSU.

Buckeye Devil
03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Ohio State, of course. It also means that they beat UK, probably UNC, and either UCONN or AZ to get to that point. What concerns me is that I can't see them beating 4more good teams to win it all. Matta is a great recruiter and Ohio State probably has the best team in the tournament, but I am not sure that he is the best coach left in the tournament.

Magnolia888
03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
BUTLER.

For all the reasons everybody has said. I didn't know their fans hated us, but I don't care. I want them to win because of their coach and their team, they're obviously doing something right over there. And I felt bad for them last year. Of course I wanted us to win, but I still felt bad for them.

But so long as it's ABC, I'd be okay. Frankly, any team other than UNC or UConn would be fine.

moonpie23
03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
in order:

AZ
Fla State
Butler
satan
beelzebub
postponed
cancelled

rsvman
03-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Arizona all the way to the title is the best possible outcome for Duke fans, IMO. "Yeah, we went out in the Sweet Sixteen, but we lost to the National Champions!"

Second choice would be Florida State, for the sake of the ACC.

Third choice would probably be Ohio State, because they've played well all year and there's really no reason to hate them.

Fourth choice would be Richmond.

Fifth choice would be Marquette, because if Marquette wins it all, it means UNC loses tonight!

Worst case scenarios:

1) UNC
2) UConn

If it is anybody besides these two, I'll be OK.

Mal
03-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Either Ohio State or Butler. Why tOSU?

* because we wouldn't have beaten them anyway
* because it means unc wouldn't be in the Final Four
* because nothing about them or their fanbase annoys me
* because i don't want to see another coach with three titles
* because they have been the most consistently good team all year. Who else deserves it more?

Items 1, 2, 4, and 5 are all excellent reasons. And I'd add another, which is that I have nothing against Thad Matta. But re: your third item above, clearly you've not actually met enough of their fanbase.

That fanbase and two other factors loom large enough for me to vastly overwhelm the reasons above, which would otherwise lead me to not care if OSU were to win. 1. The institution's sports factory mentality, and 2. this whole adding of "the" in front of the school's name. My god, it's so loathsome in so many ways. I've started referring to the state itself as "The Ohio" when around Ohioans, hoping they'll realize how ludicrously pretentious it sounds.

dukelilsis
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I'll be cheering for Butler. I like schools that keep the "student" in student athlete. Won't it be exciting when Brad Stevens is finally old enough to get his drivers license? ;-) I'll be OK with Kansas or OSU since they have both had a great season. If unc, the UCONNvicts or Kentucky win, I may become so violently ill that there will be no cure. Of course, I also think it would be funny if FSU could win as a representative of the ACC after our conference was slammed the entire eason while the Big East was built up.

sagegrouse
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Most like to see win, in order:
(1) Arizona
(2) Butler
(3) Any double-digit seed (There are four left!)

Least like to see win, in no particular order:
UNC
Ohio State
UConn
Kentucky

Obviously don't care about:
Kansas
Florida

sagegrouse

_Gary
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Sage, you hate Ohio State more than UConn?!!! What's up with that? For me it's firmly A-B-C, like most everyone else. As long as Carolina or Connecticut don't win I'm fine with it, even though I still wouldn't like to see Florida win. That would be three titles in about what... 6 or 7 years? That would produce all kinds of dynasty talk and I'm not a Donovan fan at all. So let me amend my previous comment:

A-B-C + F

As long as that rule is maintained, I'm good. :D

uh_no
03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Sage, you hate Ohio State more than UConn?!!!

I knew I wasn't the only one!!!!! :)

sagegrouse
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Sage, you hate Ohio State more than UConn?!!! What's up with that? For me it's firmly A-B-C, like most everyone else. As long as Carolina or Connecticut don't win I'm fine with it, even though I still wouldn't like to see Florida win. That would be three titles in about what... 6 or 7 years? That would produce all kinds of dynasty talk and I'm not a Donovan fan at all. So let me amend my previous comment:

A-B-C + F

As long as that rule is maintained, I'm good. :D

I said, "In no particular order," for the least like to win list. I think Hell is Hell. I will leave it to Dante and others to give it different levels.

sagegrouse

wsb3
03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
My pick is Butler and anyone but UNC, UCONN, & Kentucky.

basket1544
03-25-2011, 07:28 PM
ABC(arolina, alipari, onnecticut)...

I'm from Indiana so I'll be cheering for Butler. I think AZ has played their game of the year so I don't think they'll win again. I think it'd be funny if it was Florida vs. Florida State on one side of the brackets. It would be good if Ohio State won - their senior class is a very good one. Overall, I'm just going to watch.

-bdbd
03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Arizona all the way to the title is the best possible outcome for Duke fans, IMO. "Yeah, we went out in the Sweet Sixteen, but we lost to the National Champions!"

Second choice would be Florida State, for the sake of the ACC.

Third choice would probably be Ohio State, because they've played well all year and there's really no reason to hate them.

Fourth choice would be Richmond.

Fifth choice would be Marquette, because if Marquette wins it all, it means UNC loses tonight!

Worst case scenarios:

1) UNC
2) UConn

ABC x 2 !!!!!!!

Other than that, I pretty much agree with all of your choices/rasons, except for flipping on Richmond and OSU -- as I have family connections to the Spiders.

diveonthefloor
03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Halfway through the first, and one thing is clear....UNC has had an incredibly easy path leading to the regional final. Marquette is just not very good.

If KY beats OSU, UNC may have a chance for the FF.

_Gary
03-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I said, "In no particular order," for the least like to win list. I think Hell is Hell. I will leave it to Dante and others to give it different levels.

sagegrouse

Oh, OK. LOL on that one. I really hate to keep adding teams to my list of "Don't want to win", but this inexplicable exclusion from my list must be rectified immediately. Under the "C" portion of my A-B-C + F scenario I most certainly should have included "Calipari - i.e. Kentucky." My bad there.

So I guess at the end of the day there are 4 teams I'd just hate to see win it (UNC, UK, UConn and UF). And for what it's worth, I'd really rather not see Ohio State win it either, but they aren't as evil (this year) as the four I've referenced. Anyone else winning is fine by me.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
It seems like the team that maximizes "reasonable chance to win" while minimizing "collective DBR board lugubriousness" is Kansas. Rock Chalk.

xinspiration
03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
can someone please explain to me why uconn is foe not friend?

i had a friend comment that she would like for kemba walker to win, and while i saw that as a betrayal towards ndotsmitty, i couldn't muster up any other reason to hate on uconn.

so please, enlighten me!

ChicagoHeel
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Halfway through the first, and one thing is clear....UNC has had an incredibly easy path leading to the regional final. Marquette is just not very good.

If KY beats OSU, UNC may have a chance for the FF.

Washington beat Arizona a little more than a week ago.

Grey Devil
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd love to see any of the underdogs win, especially (in no particular order), Butler, VCU, or Richmond. I could go for FSU (for conference glory reasons) or Arizona (it would ease the pain of the loss to them).

And I positively could NOT stand it if UConn, Kentucky, Florida, or Carolina won any remaining games, and would especially hate it if they made it to the Final 4!

The others? Meh!

Grey Devil

Spret42
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM

i had a friend comment that she would like for kemba walker to win, and while i saw that as a betrayal towards ndotsmitty, i couldn't muster up any other reason to hate on uconn.

so please, enlighten me!

They cheat, they are thugs, they are evil, calhoun is the devil, their not real "student athletes" blah blah blah. Over the years there have been serious issues with players at UConn and the feeling is that the program is rogue.

I have always enjoyed watching UConn's teams play over the years. When Calhoun has horses he wins and his teams play strong athletic basketball.

I don't care who wins the tournament as long as it is well played basketball.

basket1544
03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

so please, enlighten me!

Still too painful for me but youtube the 1999 Duke UConn game and that'll give you an idea. If you still have questions then continue by checking out the 2004 Duke UConn game. Those are my first two reasons.

DevilOfATime
03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I can root for OSU basketball over OSU cheater FB program. To my knowledge the BB program has not had any scandals since Thad Matta took over. I know they had scandals before him. But the football program has a lot more scandals then the basketball program has. Plus Thad seems down to earth likeable head coach and person.

gumbomoop
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM

I, too, would like to see some good games, well played. I have no strong preference, but would sort of prefer to see a Final Four of Butler, FSU, Arizona, and OSU. That would assure either Butler or FSU in Final. I'd like that. Really intense defensive effort by those teams. I'm for relentlessness above all else, and those 2 teams seem to have that on D.

uh_no
03-25-2011, 08:39 PM
I think AZ has played their game of the year so I don't think they'll win again.

Don't bet on that. I've watched probably more connecticut this year than anyone on this board, and I still think duke's defense is better than uconn's. That does not bode well. That said, it would be a classic letdown game for them. either way, no way uconn beats OSU....i think arizona could be the team to do it if they play anywhere near how they did last night

uh_no
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
their not real "student athletes" blah blah blah.

Point a) if you're going to rip on the academics of a program, perhaps you should not misuse words like "they're"

b) while they have plenty of athletes who, as you say, probably don't care about academics (given its hard to overlook the fact that they haven't had a 1 and done in a while, and I think they've only had a few ever, and therefore the players must have remained academically eligible....) this is the case at many top programs, we are lucky to be among the exceptions (butler and MSU are 2 other great examples), but you also cannot overlook the fact that kemba walker is about to graduate in 3 years, a great feat for any student, much more so for an athlete. Emeka Okafor also accomplished this feat. Hasheem Thabeet was fluent in 3 languages (i think) and was a very good chess player.....It's unfair to stereotype the program (at least in this academic regard) as any worse than your typical D-1 basketball program

Magnolia888
03-25-2011, 08:57 PM

so please, enlighten me!

How old are you?? You don't remember 1999?? Or 2004?

Spret42
03-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Point a) if you're going to rip on the academics of a program, perhaps you should not misuse words like "they're"

b) while they have plenty of athletes who, as you say, probably don't care about academics (given its hard to overlook the fact that they haven't had a 1 and done in a while, and I think they've only had a few ever, and therefore the players must have remained academically eligible....) this is the case at many top programs, we are lucky to be among the exceptions (butler and MSU are 2 other great examples), but you also cannot overlook the fact that kemba walker is about to graduate in 3 years, a great feat for any student, much more so for an athlete. Emeka Okafor also accomplished this feat. Hasheem Thabeet was fluent in 3 languages (i think) and was a very good chess player.....It's unfair to stereotype the program (at least in this academic regard) as any worse than your typical D-1 basketball program

I was being sarcastic. Hence the blah blah blah. I should have used the rolling eyes emoticon. I think Calhoun has taken some chances with some kids and gotten burned by it. But I also recognize how he has had some great young men in his program, one who through 15 years of hard work just broke the NBA all time 3 point record.

And the their/they're mistake was just me being a bonehead and not paying attention while typing too fast.

-bdbd
03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
ABC = Anybody But Con(victs)... Actually for this tournament I'm sticking with "ABC x 2."

They cheat, they are thugs, they are evil, calhoun is the devil, their not real "student athletes" blah blah blah. Over the years there have been serious issues with players at UConn and the feeling is that the program is rogue.

I have always enjoyed watching UConn's teams play over the years. When Calhoun has horses he wins and his teams play strong athletic basketball.

While Magnolia's two reasons certainly would bring dislike from the Duke fandom (to be fair Duke has also imparted uts share of hearthache on them as well), I don't think you'd see the true disdain for U-Con if not for Spret42's reasons. There is a real reason why their coach, Calhoun, is so thoroughly disliked within his profession. Let's just say this isn't the most pristine/ethical of programs - multiple cheating cases over the last 15 years, paying off of AAU coaches, illegal agent relationships, kids caught stealing/selling laptops (who basically get off with slap on the wrist and a chuckle), and a sub 30% graduation rate. Is that enough?

But, regarding 1999 and 2004, I was actually at both events and - how do you say this tactfully - their fans were not generally the most graceful of winners, to say the least.

:rolleyes:

uh_no
03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
their fans were not generally the most graceful of winners, to say the least.

Because fans should be oh so tempered after winning the national championship... (especially their first)...much like our perfect students at duke celebrated with some nice champagne and cheese last year......

Buckeye Devil
03-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Ohio State, of course. It also means that they beat UK, probably UNC, and either UCONN or AZ to get to that point. What concerns me is that I can't see them beating 4more good teams to win it all. Matta is a great recruiter and Ohio State probably has the best team in the tournament, but I am not sure that he is the best coach left in the tournament.

Prophetic words. Matta was outcoached by the criminal Calipari. He simply had no adjustments to UK's strategy to make Sullinger work hard for his points and take everything else away. And to have 5.5 seconds left and not call a timeout was just plain stupid. Without the 2007 runner-up finish, his tournament record at OSU is very average and underachieving. A top caliber coach would have got that team to at least the Elite 8. Matta is not.

uh_no
03-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Without the 2007 runner-up finish, his tournament record at OSU is very average and underachieving.

Perhaps OSU should consider joining the big east!

1 24 90
03-26-2011, 12:21 AM
I really hope the old school thought that you can't win the national title with a freshman point guard is true this year. The only time I can think of this happening was with Gerry Mcnamara in 2003 and he wasn't the reason they won the title.

Buckeye Devil
03-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Perhaps OSU should consider joining the big east!

Perhaps OSU should get a new football coach and a new basketball coach-one that does something in the tournament.

RoyalBlue08
03-26-2011, 12:29 AM
It's now occurring to me (I can be slow) is the only thing standing between UNC, Kentucky, or UConn (or as I call them, the Axis of Evil) and the championship game is Derrick Williams. I think I just became a huge Arizona fan a day after they crushed my dreams. Not my favorite tournament!

hurleyfor3
03-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, right now it goes something like

kentucky
butler
zona
uconn
kansas
vcu
flawda
sabotage of the texas electrical grid (it's on a separate grid from the other 47 states)
earthquake/tsunami
alien invasion
meteor impact
terrorist attack
eruption of yellowstone caldera (nearest volcano)
nuclear bomb
reversal of earth's magnetic poles
discovery that Hubble constant is much, much, much smaller than we thought
sun goes supernova
proton decay
unc

Now would be a good time for kentucky to remember there's a series of basketball games, typically played during the first weekend of april, that attracts a wide audience and is commonly referred to as the "Final Four".

gumbomoop
03-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I'll guess that the vast majority of posters would prefer to see a Butler/Arizona final. Possibly a VCU/Arizona final as 2d choice. But that wouldn't necessarily mean the vast majority would prefer to see Butler win on Sat, and VCU on Sunday, for clearly almost all posters also want the SW/SE side of the bracket to produce the team most likely to be able to beat UNC/UK/UConn in a final; and that's clearly Kansas.

There are no likely good answers left, so one is forced to choose the least bad option. That would be Kansas. I personally will still root for Butler on Sat, and VCU in the early game Sunday. But I can't deny that - especially if Arizona loses in the late game Sat - I might prefer that Kansas get on a smooth roll.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-26-2011, 01:52 AM

I was not even 9 yet for the first go around :cool:

and I liked Emeka and don't hate the teams that beat us, I cheer for them to keep winning.

DWINS
03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
I really hope the old school thought that you can't win the national title with a freshman point guard is true this year. The only time I can think of this happening was with Gerry Mcnamara in 2003 and he wasn't the reason they won the title.

Arizona won the NC in 1997 with freshman Mike Bibby running the point.

gam7
03-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Arizona won the NC in 1997 with freshman Mike Bibby running the point.

I was at this game, and Bibby was sensational. Also, in 2001, freshman Chris Duhon started at the point for Duke in all 9 games of the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

jefreema
03-26-2011, 02:48 AM
i have never seen another tournament like this. i have literally no one to pull for. not a single one. unfortunately, this is not entirely butler's fault. i WOULD be pulling for them but because the opposite side of the bracket is so god-awful, i can't risk one of those teams playing someone other than the best of the best in the title game. unfortunately i don't think i could ever actively root for kansas, so i am kinda stuck just ignoring the whole darn thing.

billyj
03-26-2011, 03:03 AM
I want to root for UNC, we beat them twice this year. A stronger enemy will make us better next year.

LSanders
03-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Butler.

Except for the cheap shot taken at Kyle on the last play, Butler played hard, well, and deserving of a champion. Not sure they can run the table, but watching them play is a little like watching us last year.

DevilWearsPrada
03-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Again, Butler all the way.

But just on Sunday, I will be a (cough cough, yuck yuck), Kentucky Wildcat fan over the Tarholes. GTHC GTH

Kentucky beat the ever living TAR out of the HOLES on SUNDAY! Go Kentucky!

GO BUTLER BULLDOGS (remind me so much of Duke, and love Coach Stevens! Class Act)

BlueThru&Thru
03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Again, Butler all the way.

But just on Sunday, I will be a (cough cough, yuck yuck), Kentucky Wildcat fan over the Tarholes. GTHC GTH

Kentucky beat the ever living TAR out of the HOLES on SUNDAY! Go Kentucky!

GO BUTLER BULLDOGS (remind me so much of Duke, and love Coach Stevens! Class Act)

Remember, the Heels beat UK earlier this year and that was with Drew II at point. Much better team now. It will be verrrry interesting

moonpie23
03-26-2011, 09:20 AM
abc abc abc abc

jdk
03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I will not be rooting for anyone else this tournament. To me, it is band-wagoning; I didn't like the other teams before the tournament, so why would I cheer for them now?

I really liked Wisconsin, and would pull for them during the regular season (so there is precedence for my fanhood) but they're also out.

The NCAA tournament is over for me. I still have my NBA league pass available, and the best basketball is yet to be played.

JG Nothing
03-26-2011, 10:59 AM

In order of the team I would least like to win the national championship:

UNC - no explanation needed. This must not happen. Puts UNC two up on us and Deputy Dawg only one behind K.

Florida - do not want Donovan to get number 3 and only be one behind K and Duke. Donovan is young and will have many opportunities to get number 4.

UCon - do not want Calhoun to get number 3 and only be one behind K and Duke. But Calhoun is getting old and will probably not get number 4. There is also the sleaze factor.

Butler - the currently insufferable Butler fans (at least in Indy where we live) will be even worse. My son's kindergarten teacher passed out an assignment that had "Go Butler" written on it. My son crossed out Go Butler and wrote "Go Duke!"

UK - hate Calipari, but a UK victory would really annoy UNC fans because it puts UK 3 ahead of UNC. Plus there is the distinct likelihood that the title will be vacated down the road.

KU - for some reason I kind of like Bill Self. Still, I do not like the idea of KU moving into a tie with us in national championships.

Arizona - No problem at all with Arizona. Kind of like Sean Miller. Go Cats!

VCU- VCU would be perfect. Go whatever your nickname is!

Reddevil
03-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Yuck: unc, uconn, uk, fl, ku

Okay: Butler, AZ, VCU

I don't like my odds of not having heartburn April 4th. I guess Kansas would not be terrible considering other possibilities. For that matter Florida would be better than the first three.

The Ohio State University losing really opened up the bracket and stinks for two reasons. 1) If Duke could have made it to the FF, they could have made it to the championship game. 2) unc has as about as much of a chance to win it all as anyone left. Who saw that coming? What a nightmare! 9F!

Neals384
03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Arizone, because, as others have stated, you always want to know that only the very best could beat you. And because, living in Pac-10 country, the Pac-10 could use a shot in the arm.

Here's the unofficial total of the choices in this thread (co9unting only votes for teams still in the elite 8):

Butler 18
Zona 6
tOSU 3
VCU 2
Ky 2
Fla 1
UConn 1
UNC 1

NSDukeFan
03-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Prophetic words. Matta was outcoached by the criminal Calipari. He simply had no adjustments to UK's strategy to make Sullinger work hard for his points and take everything else away. And to have 5.5 seconds left and not call a timeout was just plain stupid. Without the 2007 runner-up finish, his tournament record at OSU is very average and underachieving. A top caliber coach would have got that team to at least the Elite 8. Matta is not.

Matta may have been outcoached by Calipari, I didn't see the game. This post fits very well on this board alongside some of the criticism of coach K and the program. He may not be the best coach in the game, but he would have to be considered one of the top 5 recruiters and has had a great run at OSU. He has won 3 Big Ten championships in his 7 years at OSU and been to 3 Sweet Sixteens in his 7 years. He has won at least 20 games every year, has a top 5 recruiting class coming next year and may also have Jared Sullinger back. Before their finals appearance in 2007, OSU had previously made the final four in 1968 (1999 was vacated). I would think OSU would be very happy with the results that Matta and the program have achieved, the UK game notwithstanding.

1 24 90
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I was at this game, and Bibby was sensational. Also, in 2001, freshman Chris Duhon started at the point for Duke in all 9 games of the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

That'll teach me to rely on what I hear the "experts" say. Let's just hope that a team with a non freshman point guard wins the title this year.

jdj4duke
03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I think UCon will blast Zona, since Zona will do the Va Tech/UMD/pick a team "we beat Duke and that's all we need to do" dance. A few years ago, I seem to recall that a number of teams that beat us ended up winning the NC. I think that has changed since too many have a habit of playing out of their minds against Duke and then folding like a cheap suit the next game out.

I really believe that all the hype we get convinces a lot of teams that once we are gone, it's cakewalk time for them. All the chest pounding and so on that AZ showed Thursday I believe will be non-existent today. I believe Kemba is going to light them up. That said, I would rather see AZ than UCon win.

I will be pulling as hard as I can for KY tomorrow. After the huge ration of crap that issues forth from UNC fans every time we lose, KY beating them could lead to a complete melt-down in the Hill.

Other than that, no dog in the fight for me at all. Don't even really care about Butler. As a friend of mine who is a 'Cuse fan texted me Friday morning. "Sorry about Duke. Welcome to the ranks of the disinterested".

uh_no
03-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I think UCon will blast Zona, since Zona will do the Va Tech/UMD/pick a team "we beat Duke and that's all we need to do" dance.

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/5744/rest-of-ncaa-tournament-cancelled-with-duke-successfully-eliminated-in-the-sweet-16

Well....that is actually all they need to do.

DevilWearsPrada
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Go Butler! They are in Overtime! Smith fouled out. Matt howard has 4 fouls! Go Bulldogs!!!

dukegirl
03-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Darn it. Arizona just went down to Yukon. What a disappointment. Go Kentucky. Go VCU. Go Butler. Go Kansas. Go ABC.

-bdbd
03-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Because fans should be oh so tempered after winning the national championship... (especially their first)...much like our perfect students at duke celebrated with some nice champagne and cheese last year......

Uh_no...
OK, you tell me, is it "tempered enthusiasm" for a team's fans, after their first championship, to walk around the concourse of the St. Pete coliseum (Tropicana) immediately after their team squeaked out a last second National Championship holding up banners proclaiming "Now Duke has TWO losers!!!!" (since the Duke women had lost in the women's NC a couple nights before)??? Is it "tempered enthusiasm" when gangs of roving fans walk around the parking lots outside the stadium 30 minutes after their team won that NC chanting as a group, "We won, you suck! We won, you suck!" Or still others using the classic "Duke sucks! Duke sucks!" (And before you suggest otherwise, I and my friend were silently standing there/walking quietly by wearing our Duke attire, not doing any provocations.) Was that "non-tempered enthusiasm??" Or just classless taunting from the "winner," by dozens of separate U-con fans?? Or are you suggesting that last year's Duke fans spent their post-championship evening largely taunting the crying Butler fans instead of celebrating their own triumph?

I had no ax to grind with U-con before that post-game obnoxiousness -- my first call later that night was to a U-con grad relative to say congratulations. But especially when I saw some similar (though maybe not as numerous/overwhelmingly prevalent) obnoxious/taunting behavior in 2004 in San Antonio, it made me a long-time U-con disdainer. And I have had the opportunity watch the sheer joy of several other teams' fans celebrating after beating Duke in the NCAAT more than once, unfortunately, and my reaction is almost always to quietly smile at their happiness (even though it came at Duke's expense). It is really special to see fans that joyous at their team's success - oftentimes just crying with sheer happiness. But it is really ugly when fans, in their moment of triumph/ecstacy, have no better way to express it than by taunting and insulting their vaquished foes. THAT is why I will root against Calhoun and company next weekend. :(

uh_no
03-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Uh_no...
OK, you tell me, is it "tempered enthusiasm" for a team's fans, after their first championship, to walk around the concourse of the St. Pete coliseum (Tropicana) immediately after their team squeaked out a last second National Championship holding up banners proclaiming "Now Duke has TWO losers!!!!" (since the Duke women had lost in the women's NC a couple nights before)??? Is it "tempered enthusiasm" when gangs of roving fans walk around the parking lots outside the stadium 30 minutes after their team won that NC chanting as a group, "We won, you suck! We won, you suck!" Or still others using the classic "Duke sucks! Duke sucks!" (And before you suggest otherwise, I and my friend were silently standing there/walking quietly by wearing our Duke attire, not doing any provocations.) Was that "non-tempered enthusiasm??" Or just classless taunting from the "winner," by dozens of separate U-con fans?? Or are you suggesting that last year's Duke fans spent their post-championship evening largely taunting the crying Butler fans instead of celebrating their own triumph?

I had no ax to grind with U-con before that post-game obnoxiousness -- my first call later that night was to a U-con grad relative to say congratulations. But especially when I saw some similar (though maybe not as numerous/overwhelmingly prevalent) obnoxious/taunting behavior in 2004 in San Antonio, it made me a long-time U-con disdainer. And I have had the opportunity watch the sheer joy of several other teams' fans celebrating after beating Duke in the NCAAT more than once, unfortunately, and my reaction is almost always to quietly smile at their happiness (even though it came at Duke's expense). It is really special to see fans that joyous at their team's success - oftentimes just crying with sheer happiness. But it is really ugly when fans, in their moment of triumph/ecstacy, have no better way to express it than by taunting and insulting their vaquished foes. THAT is why I will root against Calhoun and company next weekend. :(

I'm sorry for your plight. I cannot defend my fellow fans who do that. Don't throw the entire fan base under the bus though. THere are plenty of good natured Uconn fans, though the poor mannered ones would seem to make the rest look bad. There's not much else you can expect from a middling state school (especially one in the middle of nowhere). I'd expect no more from maryland or georgia or nebraska should their team have taken us out in a similar situation. As a uconn fan, I take any generalization of the uconn fanbase personally.

Devilsfan
03-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Rooting for a Jennifer Hudson repeat and having her ruin someone elses One Shinning Moment this year.

Duke Mom
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Some game - how exciting will it be if VCU makes it to final four! VCU vs. Butler? I think I'm officially rooting for that!

DevilWearsPrada
03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Rooting for a Jennifer Hudson repeat and having her ruin someone elses One Shinning Moment this year.

With all fairness to Jennifer Hudson, she is a recording artist and actress; and probably doesnt follow alot of college basketball. But she might. She recorded the song. And it was a good remake.

However, I didn't like the One Shining Moment that was used last year when Duke won. I didn't like the clips, either. Very very little of Duke.

The best was with Duke Blue Planet, with all Duke and the original One Shining Moment song.

I am certain Ms Hudson, did not have a clue when she recorded the song in the studio. She is a wonderful artist. If you remember, the clips, showed alot of Jennifer. She did not control that usage of film or editing.

The song or artist choice was by the NCAA and whomever decided to make a change. I FEEL it was a bad choice. Go back to the way it was.

And their are many many redos of Duke's 2010 One Shining Moment on YOU TUBE, and on Duke Blue Planet.

NYC Duke Fan
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
some game - how exciting will it be if vcu makes it to final four! Vcu vs. Butler? I think i'm officially rooting for that!

you got it !!!

Troublemaker
03-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Kentucky.

I'm rooting for Kentucky.

They basically just prevented a UNC national championship and sealed 2011 being a better season for Duke than the Heels.

UK has my eternal gratitude and my support for the rest of this 2011 season.

I hope "we" get some Maui revenge on UConn and stomp Cinderella in the national championship. Go Cats!

LSanders
03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Gross

DevilWearsPrada
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Its too bad that VCU and Butler play each other. I would love for each of those teams to take out UConnvicts and UK cheating Wildcats.

So, I assume that VCU and Butler are considered the Cinderella teams.... although, they have outplayed, outlasted and out cast everyone in their path. It would be so fitting to have 2 small universities playing for the National title again this year.

I hope Jay Bilas chokes on his words. As much as I really dont care for Charles Barkley, he did say at the beginning of the Unc and UK game today, that if anyone thought that VCU wasnt worthy of being in the tournament, that they could go to hell. Thats at least One smart thing that Sir Charles has said.

I am pulling for Butler! Either way, the Cinderella must win the Final Dance and have their One Shining Moment!

UK played a great game today. And so good that Henson fouled out and stayed in foul trouble! Thanks to the Ashley Judd University for taking out the Tarholes. And JUST FOR TODAY (MARCH 27 2011) I WAS A UK FAN FOR 2 HOURS!!

Devilsfan
03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Slime on the sidelines next Saturday night. Cal vs. Cal(houn). But it makes me very happy it's not dizzy ol'roy vs Cal(houn). If Ucon wins it's free laptops and bling for everyone!

kinsman_bob
03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
It won't be hard to pick the team to root hard for in the final(the winner of VCU and Butler). A shower will be required after the convicts vs. the cheaters. Go Butler and VCU

NYC Duke Fan
03-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Kentucky.

They basically just prevented a UNC national championship and sealed 2011 being a better season for Duke than the Heels.

I hope "we" get some Maui revenge on UConn and stomp Cinderella in the national championship. Go Cats!

I am sure some moderator will give me a notification for this but my question is why did Duke have a better season than UNC?

We beast them in a match up 2-1. We won the ACC Tournament but they won the regular season. They lost in the Elite 8 and we lost in the Seet 16. It seems pretty much even to me, unless Kentucky wins the whole thing and then I guess UNC fans could say that their loss was to the eventual champion.

MCFinARL
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Its too bad that VCU and Butler play each other. I would love for each of those teams to take out UConnvicts and UK cheating Wildcats.

So, I assume that VCU and Butler are considered the Cinderella teams.... although, they have outplayed, outlasted and out cast everyone in their path. It would be so fitting to have 2 small universities playing for the National title again this year.

I hope Jay Bilas chokes on his words. As much as I really dont care for Charles Barkley, he did say at the beginning of the Unc and UK game today, that if anyone thought that VCU wasnt worthy of being in the tournament, that they could go to hell. Thats at least One smart thing that Sir Charles has said.

I am pulling for Butler! Either way, the Cinderella must win the Final Dance and have their One Shining Moment!

UK played a great game today. And so good that Henson fouled out and stayed in foul trouble! Thanks to the Ashley Judd University for taking out the Tarholes. And JUST FOR TODAY (MARCH 27 2011) I WAS A UK FAN FOR 2 HOURS!!

In fairness to Jay Bilas, even when he was complaining that VCU shouldn't have been in the tournament, he acknowledged that they might be able to wine a game or two (admittedly, he didn't imagine the possibility that they might be able to fine 5 games). He just said that, given the usual rules by which tournament teams are selected, they didn't seem to have as good a case as teams like Colorado and Virginia Tech, who were left out. In any event, I'm guessing Shaka Smart will be happy to have Jay Bilas continue to criticize his team, as he has obviously been able to use pres clips like this very effectively to motivate his team.

NSDukeFan
03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I am sure some moderator will give me a notification for this but my question is why did Duke have a better season than UNC?

We beast them in a match up 2-1. We won the ACC Tournament but they won the regular season. They lost in the Elite 8 and we lost in the Seet 16. It seems pretty much even to me, unless Kentucky wins the whole thing and then I guess UNC fans could say that their loss was to the eventual champion.

Subjective question of course, but I agree with OlyFan's ratings of what he/she feels are the most important things to strive for during the year. Final Four appearance (i.e. regional championship) trumps ACC championship. But ACC championship is the next most important thing to strive for. I take Duke's season over UNC's, but that is just my opinion.

NYC Duke Fan
03-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Subjective question of course, but I agree with OlyFan's ratings of what he/she feels are the most important things to strive for during the year. Final Four appearance (i.e. regional championship) trumps ACC championship. But ACC championship is the next most important thing to strive for. I take Duke's season over UNC's, but that is just my opinion.

In your opinion which would you rather win, the ACC Tournament or the regular season ? Both teams had very good seasons and in my mind you could make an argument that their seasons were equal, that UNC had a better season because they won the regular season and advanced higher in the NCAA tournament, or that Duke had a better season because they beat UNC twice and won the ACC tournament.

Bottom line though is that neither team has a chance to win a National Championship.

timmy c
03-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I am rooting for a VCU vs UConn final. The over/under on Chaka Kahn ( http://www.chakakhan.com)
(Shaka-Conn) references is 3!

Troublemaker
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Even UNC fans would take the 2-to-1 and ACC championship over the Elite 8. You might have to give them sodium amytal to admit it, but they know in the back of their mind which outcome is better.

The math is just extraordinarily simple on this one.

On March 13, Duke and UNC played a winner-take-all rubber-match for the conference championship and seasonal bragging rights. Final score? Duke 75, UNC 58. Duke 2, UNC 1.

And lest we forget, Duke went 32-5 this season while UNC was only 29-8. And Duke did all this with the #1 overall draft pick sidelined for the majority of the season. Basically, UNC lost 2 of 3 to and got trounced in the winner-take-all game by a Duke team missing its best player.

Advantage Duke, and nothing short of a Final Four appearance for UNC could change this. Again, the math on this comparison is extremely simple.

Kfanarmy
03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
.... Believe AZ MAY have burned up all their shooting luck last night, and their shooting % in one of the next couple of games will dip well below average ending their season before the National Championship game....

Had to know this was going to happen
"Saturday was not a good day for Arizona's perimeter players. The Wildcats were a horrendous 4 of 21 (19 percent) from 3-point range in a 65-63 loss to UConn."
If zona shoots near their average in the 2nd half against Duke, Blue Devils are likely still in it. Odd how lady luck plays. Not a fan of either Cal in the final four, but believe same laws will likely catch up to VCU...so must root for Butler 2 be in and win the championship.

NSDukeFan
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
In your opinion which would you rather win, the ACC Tournament or the regular season ? Both teams had very good seasons and in my mind you could make an argument that their seasons were equal, that UNC had a better season because they won the regular season and advanced higher in the NCAA tournament, or that Duke had a better season because they beat UNC twice and won the ACC tournament.

Bottom line though is that neither team has a chance to win a National Championship.

In my opinion I would rather win the ACC tournament over the ACC regular season ribbon. One is a championship, one is...a great accomplishment for having the best win-loss record in an unbalanced scheduled conference. I think it is analogous to the NCAA championship. I would rather Duke win the NCAA championship and lose a few games, than the team be ranked #1 all year, even though the #1 ranked team would have had the better team for a longer period of time. I like championships the best, but, as Kedsy has eloquently put it in another thread, in a one-and-done format they do not necessarily end up with the best team winning.
As for this particular discussion, I agree that tournament performance does not necessarily equate to the best season, though championships are important when making comparisons, IMO. For that, I would also have to look at Duke's 32-5 record vs. UNC's 29-8, Duke's higher ranking in every measure and poll and conclude that Duke had the better season.

BulldogPride
03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
First of all, I really want to thank all of you for the support you are giving Butler. I know there's been a lot of talk on here about how Butler fans hate Duke, but you have to understand that the National Championship loss is still very, very painful for the majority of us, and then having to relive that moment in almost every commercial break just breaks our hearts all over again. That being said, I think the majority of us do respect your program, coach, and players. Unfortunately, many of us, myself included, have not run into Duke fans like you guys. I wish more Butler fans could see this, because they might change their attitudes about your fan base. I'd also like to say that part of me was hoping you guys could make it past Arizona, but the other part of me was terrified of the possibility of a Duke-Butler rematch. I'm not sure my heart could handle that again.

Again, I think the majority of us do respect your program, coach, and players. We're all hoping that Brad Stevens will stay at Butler, despite the higher pay he'll be offered at bigger schools, and build up the program in a similar way Coach K has built up the Duke program. I hope we keep scheduling you guys in the regular season, and hopefully if we do, we can keep our players injury free to keep the game as close in the second half as it was in the first.

Kfanarmy
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Kentucky.

Until UK has a different coach,,, I can't help but root against them. As I don't anticipate anyone hiring anybody who I will think is less deserving, I don't think my aversion to UK will change anytime soon.

weezie
03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
"V C-who?! V C U!!"

JStuart
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Even UNC fans would take the 2-to-1 and ACC championship over the Elite 8. You might have to give them sodium amytal to admit it, but they know in the back of their mind which outcome is better.

The math is just extraordinarily simple on this one.

On March 13, Duke and UNC played a winner-take-all rubber-match for the conference championship and seasonal bragging rights. Final score? Duke 75, UNC 58. Duke 2, UNC 1.

And lest we forget, Duke went 32-5 this season while UNC was only 29-8. And Duke did all this with the #1 overall draft pick sidelined for the majority of the season. Basically, UNC lost 2 of 3 to and got trounced in the winner-take-all game by a Duke team missing its best player.

Advantage Duke, and nothing short of a Final Four appearance for UNC could change this. Again, the math on this comparison is extremely simple.

Even simpler, we have the hardware. They don't. (Banners aren't hardware; ACC trophies are.)

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 03:43 PM

We (no quotation marks) beat the overall #1 Seed and took out UNC. I am calling it now a successful season with a team less talented than the John Wall and Demarcus Cousins crew. Revenge against UCONN would be nice as well as another title but beating UNC was too sweet.

dynastydefender
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Until UK has a different coach,,, I can't help but root against them. As I don't anticipate anyone hiring anybody who I will think is less deserving, I don't think my aversion to UK will change anytime soon.

my aversion to irrational Duke Fans. So it's a level playing field. (Infraction coming....I can smell it)

Duke Mom
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/vcus-shaka-smart-is-shockin-the-world-1359895.html

"Accepted at Harvard, Yale and Brown, Smart instead chose to take an academic scholarship at Kenyon College, a small private school in Gambier, Ohio."

Interesting article, sounds like a terrific young man.

Kfanarmy
03-30-2011, 12:29 AM
my aversion to irrational Duke Fans. So it's a level playing field. (Infraction coming....I can smell it) Might want to look up the definition of the word. My post is actually quite rational. the recruiter has been directly associated with multiple program jarring NCAA violations. To my knowledge there is no other major college BB coach who is even in his zip code where violations are concerned. Hence I don't think he is worthy and I can't root for him. whether you agree or not doesn't really bother me, but I'm fully rational.

4decadedukie
03-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Butler to win, for reasons already stated by many others: Stevens, the quality and ethical decency of their program, the general tenor and reputation of the university, and -- of course -- their excellence in last year's National Championship game.

However, in the semifinals, Kentucky (and, therefore, Calipari) over UConn. I simply cannot believe I would ever favor UK under any circumstances, given Duke's many contusions games, the overall animosity of their fans, and particularly their current contemptible ethics and academics. However -- and this is a razor thin comparison -- as much as I disdain and detest Kentucky and Calipari, I dislike UConn (and Jim Calhoun) even more (our loss in the '04 National Semifinal in San Antonio -- Bev and I were there -- still infuriates me, among several other things including thug-ball, horrid scholastic performance, criminality and illicit NCAA recruiting).

hq2
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Yup. They're both pretty hatable, all right. As I said earlier, why can't they both lose?

dynastydefender
03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Might want to look up the definition of the word. My post is actually quite rational. the recruiter has been directly associated with multiple program jarring NCAA violations. To my knowledge there is no other major college BB coach who is even in his zip code where violations are concerned. Hence I don't think he is worthy and I can't root for him. whether you agree or not doesn't really bother me, but I'm fully rational.

Ellsworth Tooey: "Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us.
Howard Roark: "But I don't think of you."

Look that up and have a nice Duke day.