PDA

View Full Version : The official "It's My Fault" thread

Ping Lin
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Sorry guys, that loss is on me, I admit it.

I turned off the Michigan game when we were up 15, thinking it was over. Of course, we barely escaped that one getting beat up over the past couple of minutes, but I didn't think about it.

I turned the game off at halftime to go to bed, thinking there was a good chance of winning.

So yeah, my bad.

jdk
03-25-2011, 11:24 AM
My fault as well. Listening on the radio to the Michigan game, I picked it up when we were up four. By the time I got home, we were up 15. I watched TV, lead down to one, so I turned the TV off and listened to the win on the radio.

Yesterday, I missed the first half. Turned the TV on at halftime, we were up six, and it was all downhill from there.

So I take partial responsibility. Actually, I blame the TV.

Billy Dat
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi, my name is Derrick Williams. Last night, I hung a 32-13 on you while shooting 5-6 from 3 and 65% from the field overall. Once I was dominating your psyche, my teammates woke up and started doing the same. I'm sorry for that.

NovaScotian
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
i made the critical mistake of folding my laundry (which had been sitting on my bed for three days) at halftime. please accept my apologies.

Reddevil
03-25-2011, 12:29 PM
It's all you guys fault! I tried everything. I changed positions. I got up. I sat down. I changed my shirt. -Tried not watching for a little bit. -Listened from another room. Man, I was giving it my all. Come on people - FOCUS! Let's not have this happen again m'kay?! Thank you.

Chris Randolph
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi, my name is Derrick Williams. Last night, I hung a 32-13 on you while shooting 5-6 from 3 and 65% from the field overall. Once I was dominating your psyche, my teammates woke up and started doing the same. I'm sorry for that.

What he said x's 10!

DukieInKansas
03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I did not watch the game at home. I should have refused the invitation for dinner and wine at my sister's and watched it at home alone. Silly me! I'm sure that made all the difference in the world.

I'm still so proud of the team. What a wonderful group of young men.

dukester
03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I also take some blame. I went to the game in Anaheim instead of watching at home like I always do. First time seeing Duke in person and what a terrible first game to watch.

With that said - great group of guys who set a high standard for our future players. Not too many players like kyle and nolan come around so I'm glad i got to see them once. Also watching Kyrie in person was great...I'm hoping he gives me another chance to see him next year wearing a duke jersey.

NashvilleDevil
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Everytime I drink some Woodford Reserve in the 2nd half Duke wins. Not only did I not have my drink I made the error of not having any in the house. So please accept my apology for letting the team and all the fans down.

CarmenWallaceWade
03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
My wife bought me a Duke basketball shirt for my birthday last year. I wore it for the championship game of last year's ACC tournament, every game we played in last year's NCAA tournament, every game we played in this year's ACC tournament, and the three games we played in this year's NCAA tournament. It finally gave out. It had a hell of a run.

Udaman
03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
This is entirely Coach K's fault. He NEVER does half time interviews with the TV people. Ever. First time he does and BAM!

basket1544
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
My brother says it's his fault. He doesn't watch Duke often because he's not a huge basketball fan. In fact he's only watched them a total of 4 games this year... Fl St, St. John's, at UNC and last night's second half. I told him he's never allowed to watch Duke again.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
This is entirely Coach K's fault. He NEVER does half time interviews with the TV people. Ever. First time he does and BAM!

Wow, I recall the halftime interview now, but that didn't occur to me.

What's the deal with Lesley Visser, anyway? How did she go from being 55 to being 29? She's going to be the first human to live to 150, I'm sure.

jv001
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow, I recall the halftime interview now, but that didn't occur to me.

What's the deal with Lesley Visser, anyway? How did she go from being 55 to being 29? She's going to be the first human to live to 150, I'm sure.

Man when I saw her, I thought "man she aged quickly". She looked to be around 80 years old and I know some 80 year olds that look better than she does. Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
03-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Man when I saw her, I thought "man she aged quickly". She looked to be around 80 years old and I know some 80 year olds that look better than she does. Go Duke!

Last week at the Denver games we were trying to figure out who this new sideline girl was who was dressed like she was grocery shopping, and where Lesley was instead. She didn't look too bad from ~12 rows away, and I haven't seen her in 1080p. But sometimes people are like that. Maybe we can agree she has changed her appearance a lot recently.

Yeah, I'll be 57 one day, too.

sbroc012
03-25-2011, 05:57 PM

yea, i noticed that too...at first I was like is that really K talking at halftime...usually its Collins doing the talking...I bet K will never do it again.
And the tournament beard let me down...last year I grew it for the three weeks...worked wonders...this year not so much...that superstition is goin out the window next year...i think it was actually my hoodie...i pulled my white hoodie out of the closet for the first time since the St. John's game....let's just say that it might remain in the back of the closet til its death

GCobbethC
03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
This is totally my fault. I've watched every game this year excpet for the FLST, ST Johns, VT and UNC game. I watched the first half and during halftime, my wife walked down in this sexy little number and........well........ Yadda yadda yadda, I came back with 5 mins left in the second half and it was over. My bad. She's a tall redhead, what can I say?

PS I think she did it on purpose. She hates basketball.

dukelilsis
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
It's so good to know that my family and I aren't the only ones who think about things like this! My mom called me today to express her responsiblity for last night. She has three Duke candles that she lights before every game. She forgot to light them last night. Also, as I put on my pj's before the game, I remember thinking "Oh no. These are the Duke pajamas that I wore the night of the Duke vs. unc game."
A coworker and I both made the same comments as above concerning Coach K's halftime interview. I was in shock--earlier this year he said that he wouldn't do halftime or timeout interviews because that time belonged to his players.

I think it sounds like there was just a lot of karma out of whack last night. :eek:

BleedsP287
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
I should have never let the cat on the couch. I knew better.

On the other hand, it was my twisting jump off the couch that made the last second three pointer rim out in the finals last year, so I'm even I guess.

sagegrouse
03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
My brother says it's his fault. He doesn't watch Duke often because he's not a huge basketball fan. In fact he's only watched them a total of 4 games this year... Fl St, St. John's, at UNC and last night's second half. I told him he's never allowed to watch Duke again.

It's my friend and homeboy Verne Lundquist's fault. His last three Duke broadcasts: Arizona, St. John's at Madison Square Garden, and the presidential game last year against Georgetown. I can't remember his doing any Duke games in the NCAAs last year.

sagegrouse
'Nicest guy on the face of the earth!'

BlueHeaven
03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I fell asleep during half time and awoke to find us 5 points down in the second half. It's my fault. Also, i didn't bake cupcakes, but a cake. I'll know better next year. I'm sorry.

RoyalBlue08
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
I allowed myself to think some very dangerous thoughts yesterday morning. Things like, "Life is pretty good right now." And I did this despite knowing that in the past this has been a prelude to doom and gloom. I'm sorry to all the Duke fans I have to suffer because of me.

weezie
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Great thread! I feel better knowing it's ALL YOURS-ES FAULTS ABOVE.
Not mine, no sirree. Yours!
So, next season, preserve your gear, get the right rally hat on, drop a net over K if he wanders near a sideline reporter, wear blinders when games are on and don't ogle your significant others, throw the cat outside and bake cupcakes with blue icing and candles.
This too shall pass...

DukeBlueHeart4
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I wore my black Duke shirt instead of the blue championship shirt I've worn all season and started eating my M&M's before the start of the second half. One of these things usually makes the game close but both lead to disaster, as evidenced by both St. John's and Arizona.

Grey Devil
03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Just a few minutes ago, I turned on the TV and Carolina was playing Marquette. They were behind 10-8. Then it quickly got to 18-10 Carolina's favor, I turned it off. I want no part of any Carolina victory. Hopefully I put a stop to that!

Go Marquette!

Grey Devil

Bluedevil114
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Every Thursday my friends get together for a cigar night. We have never watched Duke lose together over my place. My buddies house we have seen them lose. We had it at my house so I thought we were good. But, there was this one guy that we invited that I have never watched a Duke game with before. I erased his email and phone number and he knows he is never allowed over again for a Duke game.

I have enough friends already, no need to add someone that is bad luck.

Sorry guys, it was my fault for the loss.

SupaDave
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
...and I hate to admit this. It truly is all my fault. Not only did I make the dastardly mistake of watching the game outside of my own home, I also watched the game with a Tarheel fan at the bar. We were both quite befuddled at who this Derrick kid was - and after that first dunk he looked at me and said "yall are in trouble."

I mean - the kid caught the ball in the air with one freaking hand and dunked it sideways all in one motion. I should have gone home right then - but I was waiting on my wings. And for this - I apologize.

Jason W
03-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Maybe I should have changed my shirt. I sat upright, didn't allow any limbs to touch any other. I let my dog Duke run free all over the house, and encouraged him to further destroy his Rameses doll. Pretty sure I didn't pee at halftime. All my traditions were good.

cbfx3
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
It wasnt actually my fault.

My wife told me she was going to bed early and I would need to watch the game in the living room, instead of standing in front of the tv in our bedroom (my normal spot when they win)

The moment she told me this I felt the mojo leave and KNEW the game was lost. I even told her that the loss was on her hands because of merely suggesting I break the proven code to winning.

It was clearly her fault

Dr. Tina
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
It's my fault because I didn't make sure to wash my 2010 National Championship shirt and wear it for the game. It's also my fault for not starting a writing campaign to Coach K, asking him to ditch the gray suit. I think it brings us bad luck. It's also my fault that I didn't see the actual threat to Coach K and our Duke team: Lesley Visser!

Who knew she would use some sort of hypnotic, brainwashing maneuver to get Coach K to do a half-time interview when he never does? She was like the Crypt Keeper or something. She arose from the proverbial sideline reporter back burner and torched our boys!

Utley
03-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I broke my vow of never picking Duke to win it all my bracket. I also started looking into Final Four logistics before we had made it. Sorry everyone.

Chris Randolph
03-26-2011, 12:42 AM
It's my fault, I forgot to go commando and drink a glass of black cherry kool-aid

TruBlu
03-26-2011, 06:45 AM
I blame my son. He had to work the entire first half. When things began going south in the second half, I asked him to go back to work. He did not.

I begin paperwork to disown him on Monday.

skylar
03-26-2011, 08:07 AM

oh now that is just too close for coincidence, definitely never let him watch again ;)

HK Dukie
03-26-2011, 09:05 AM
It's my fault.

I was travelling internationally and had to turn off the game at halftime to go to an important meeting.

+/-

Watching +6
Not Watching -22

I'm eternally sorry. Please forgive me.

Faison1
03-26-2011, 09:12 AM
There's a spot on my couch where I sit and drink Corona Lights during Duke games. For the Arizona game, I took the same spot on the couch, but my wife bought Pacifico's, and I had to drink those.

I'm fairly certain that played a major part in Duke losing.

jbherman
03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I moved from my lucky position to scratch the back of my head (I couldn't take it anymore).
I sincerely apologize to the Duke Nation.

Go Butler (I think)!

moonpie23
03-26-2011, 09:24 AM
it's totally my fault....i got the HAPPY FACE boxers mixed up with the BASKETBALL boxers on the wrong days..... :(

BleedsP287
03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread. Now that I know it wasn't just my cat that did it I feel somewhat better (for me).

But collectively, I can't see how we could have possibly won with all that bad karma out there. Seriously guys...you let the whoooole team down.

Rogue
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I can't decide if it was my fault.. I wore exactly what I wore for the ACC Championship against the holes, then again against Hampton and Michigan.. I sat in the same seat, drank the same fashiobable adult beverages before the game.. I may have made a mental error.. I was in white shirt before the game and changed to the blue for the game. My mental thought was, We're the higher seed, wear WHITE,, but I changed to the blue anyway.. I just can't get my arms around where my error was .. was it even considering the white.. Now,, I have to REALLY CONSENTRATE,, and wear what it takes to make the 'holes lose..
I can get over the loss,, even grab my sticks, hit the little white ball and come home and watch the Golf Channel and the Arnold Palmer Tourney,, it's ALL THOSE %#&^@ Hole fans I am still in contact with. THAT IS WHERE MY PAIN IS.. LOSE HOLES LOSE.. LOSE HOLES LOSE.. then golf will lead me to THE MASTERS
9F 9F

NovaScotian
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
It's so good to know that my family and I aren't the only ones who think about things like this! My mom called me today to express her responsiblity for last night. She has three Duke candles that she lights before every game. She forgot to light them last night.

duke candles? please tell me where you bought those!

NYBri
03-26-2011, 01:38 PM
No, no, no, no no. It was totally and absolutely MY fault.

After the Michigan game, I finally ordered a really cool Duke shirt I'd been eying and had it shipped overnight so I could have it for the AZ. game. And I'm sitting there watching where I always watch, and at halftime my wife says, "Where's your new shirt?" Holy crap! I'd forgotten to wear it. So I run in and get it on just in time for the second half tip off. Here's why it's so my fault:

I FORGOT TO WASH IT BEFORE THE GAME. It still had nasty shipping karma all over it.

So, you are all absolved. It was SO TOTALLY MY fault....unless it's my wife's fault for pointing out that I wasn't wearing my shirt....yeah, that's the ticket.

TallMan
03-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I began planning ahead as soon as we beat Michigan to make sure that I wouldn't send out any unlucky vibes this week. I repeated the attire that I wore for the Carolina game in Cameron (I went so far as to change into it in my office right after teaching class). I didn't drink coffee out of my Duke mug on game day, as the last time I did we lost to Va Tech. I think these factors accounted for the decent first half.

But, then I screwed up...and we all know how the second half unfolded. I generally like to watch in my apartment because if we start losing, I change seating positions and move to the floor right in front of the TV. Never fails...we come back every time. For some stupid reason, I let a friend talk me into watching at a bar in Philly on Thursday. I didn't pay much attention to where we were going....but it was the bar where I watched LSU beat us in 2006.

To make matters worse, one of my friends who tagged along played on a German basketball team with Ademola Okulaja back in the day.

Please forgive me...

Seattledukie
03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Its all my fault. I was forced to change my password on my work computer the day of the game. It was "kylenolan" the whole season. Obviously taking Nolan off the password messed with his Karma during the game.

If I could only go back in time...

Dev11
03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry I didn't own up until now. I was planning with my dad our trip to Houston BEFORE THE GAME! TERRIBLE!

Worse than that, though, was my despicable halftime behavior. No matter what the score is, I normally spend halftime quietly pondering how we can improve in the second half. Well, I spent the Arizona halftime telling everybody around how excited I was that Derrick Williams would play his next game in a Wizards jersey (I am unfortunately also a Wizards fan. Boy do I hate Michael Jordan).

Again, I'm sorry I remained silent. I appreciate everybody else owning up to their mistakes, but mine were severe, and I hope I can be forgiven.

Go Duke!

hudlow
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Try not to let it happen again.

It messed things up.

Thanks

MB in MD
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Great thread, but y'all are wrong. It's my fault. I have a conference this week every year (sucks). Last year, all through the Purdue and Baylor games all I was able to do was to check the score surreptitiously on my Blackberry while sitting in a meeting. Scared me to death but we know how those turned out. This year I was in LA and I did the same for the first half against Arizona and all was fine. But then the meeting got out and I made the mistake of watching the second half.

This theory is better than my alternate one, which is that Arizona switched unis at halftime with the purple and gold guys from up the road and no one noticed. Though I would like it to be the Lakers' fault.

davekay1971
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
It was my fault.

I watched the Michigan game closely in the first half, got nervous and got up to do stuff like prepare dinner for the first 14 minutes of the second half (Duke goes up by 15). I sat down to watch the end and we barely won.

For the Az game, I was busy, distracted for the first half, only watching in and out. I sat down to watch the Az game after halftime, and you all know the rest. I tried my best - getting out the ironing and doing that when Duke started falling apart. But I didn't leave the front of the tv, and Duke was lost.

I take all the blame.

weezie
03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
...I am unfortunately also a Wizards fan...

...Again, I'm sorry I remained silent.

Hhhmmm.

'zards fan, eh? That right there is one brave confession. I'm sure with the right support system and intense therapy, you'll be able to pull through.
Poor Dev11, poor, poor Dev11....:eek:

BluDvlsN1
03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
My 1st sin, was going to the game when I know I am much more effective from a distance in front of the TV, screaming instructions! Stop ball, D up, get a stop, box out, hit the boards, grab the damn ball, and on and on!!!

My second sin was while during the SD St/ UCon game and takling to my then new best friend in the seat next to me, and taking him to school on the Duke roster, initiatied by his question on multiple Plumlee's( I had a Duke Warm up Jacket on)... my sin... during my diatribe, I alluded to which team I thought Duke might be playing next, and had to add a very quick ,IF they win tonight to cover my poorley disguised overconfidence!

So, there it is , without question,a fait acompli, I did it. it's my fault...
mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....

davekay1971
03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry I didn't own up until now. I was planning with my dad our trip to Houston BEFORE THE GAME! TERRIBLE!

Worse than that, though, was my despicable halftime behavior. No matter what the score is, I normally spend halftime quietly pondering how we can improve in the second half. Well, I spent the Arizona halftime telling everybody around how excited I was that Derrick Williams would play his next game in a Wizards jersey (I am unfortunately also a Wizards fan. Boy do I hate Michael Jordan).

Again, I'm sorry I remained silent. I appreciate everybody else owning up to their mistakes, but mine were severe, and I hope I can be forgiven.

Go Duke!

After reading through the entire thread, I have to agree with Dev11...it's his fault.

Dev11
03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Hhhmmm.

'zards fan, eh? That right there is one brave confession. I'm sure with the right support system and intense therapy, you'll be able to pull through.
Poor Dev11, poor, poor Dev11....:eek:

After reading through the entire thread, I have to agree with Dev11...it's his fault.

I think I've received more return-criticism than anybody else in this thread. I wish this board had a dark corner where I could hang my head for a little while, you know, at least until the FB: Duke vs. Richmond thread appears.

Good thing I'm moving away from DC soon. Maybe I can shed myself of that Wizards label.