PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler Appreciation Thread

ArtVandelay
03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
I'll come right out and say it: I have a man crush on Kyle Singler and I am going to miss him, big time. While Nolan's season over-shadowed him a bit this year, I think that many Dukies do not realize how much we are going to miss Kyle next year. Part of this can be attributed to the fact that many of us have basically taken Kyle for granted because he has been around so long and played so much. Think about it: how many guys at Duke in recent memory (or any elite program, really) have been four-year STARTERS and logged as many minutes as Kyle has?

Plus, while Kyle has certainly been a major offensive catalyst (as his all-time Duke scoring numbers can attest), so much of what he brought to the table were the "glue" things he did -- tough rebounds and put-backs, diving for loose balls, under-appreciated defensive play, etc. Remember how many stitches Kyle had last season? The kid was just an absolute beast. People might also forget that he basically played center for us in 2008 ... as a freshman SF/PF combo player. He was just willing to do whatever the team needed from him to win. Oh, and he also won Duke a national championship. No big deal.

He may not have been as exciting to watch as Redick, as supremely talented and driven as J. Will, or as vocal as Battier, but I, for one, have to put Kyle in the pantheon of my favorite Duke players of the time that I've been a hardcore Duke fan (last 15 years or so). Not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I felt that Kyle deserved his own thread. So here's to you, Kyle. Thanks for four awesome years.

timmy c
03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Kyle is a warrior. I will have so many fond memories of watching him compete every single game. Thank you, Kyle.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Kyle was the latest version of Shane Battier. When we didn't repeat in 2002, the best "conclusion" we came to on these boards as to why we lost, when we still had Jason Williams, was that we didn't have Shane's toughness and leadership. (Nate James came into the discussion too, but mostly Shane.)

Yeah, we'll miss Kyle for all his intangibles. A lot. :cool:

stillcrazie
03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I also appreciate his demeanor on and off the court. He carries himself with humility. That is probably true of most Duke players, but when I see guys like Kemba Walker and Mo Mo pumping their chests and woofing, it makes me appreciate Kyle even more.

Jackson
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Kyle has been one of my top 2 or 3 players ever at Duke. I have never been more excited about a recruit when he committed. What a huge loss. It just won't be the same without #12 in the lineup. That play last night when he stripped the ball on the Arizona fast break summed up his entire career. What a warrior he has been!

Rudy
03-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Think about it: how many guys at Duke in recent memory (or any elite program, really) have been four-year STARTERS and logged as many minutes as Kyle has?
Didn't Kyle break the NCAA record (held by Laettner) for most NCAA starts ever?

jdk
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Kyle is a straight-up warrior. Never one to complain about getting hurt like so many college pretty-boys, Kyle took some of the nastiest hits I've seen in basketball. Tough physical play seemed to ignite a fire in him...it's like that was the only thing that would make him smile. Remember the fall he took against Wake Forest last year, or the dive he took in the ACC tournament onto Dick Vitale....or two years ago playing with two black eyes from getting hit in the face during practice. Probably some more stories from his freshman campaign that I missed due to being deployed. But good lord, Kyle is a warrior. I lol'ed at him last night trying to hide the fact that he was bleeding so he could stay on the court. What a badass, and I say that as an Iraqi vet.

In my ignorance as a television-only spectator, it seems as if Kyle was playing through a hurt wrist for much of the season. I first noticed it during the first UNC game, and I know it's been discussed a million times, but his shot was off for the rest of the season. Maybe an undisclosed injury that we won't hear about until the draft camps begin? Kyle was never one to whine.

Final parting thought, I am extremely proud that Kyle stayed around to get his degree. He is the only top-5 HS player from his class to have done that and we should consider ourselves very fortunate. Coming in after that 2007 season, Kyle and Nolan's class righted the ship and took us back to the top of college basketball. We still have a very bright future ahead of us.

mkline09
03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Kyle deserves the Nate James Bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. award. It is an award that should be created and can only be given by Nate at the banquet. Tough as nails, back down from no one and make a key play when it is need. Loved seeing him play will miss him next year. Great great player.

J4Kop99
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I still remember looking him up on YouTube after I first heard about him. I must've watched his High School tapes 100 times...

Crazy to think he just played his last game in a Duke uniform.

I wish him the best of luck and may he have a solid NBA career...

rthomas
03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
What were the final stats for Kyle and where in the pantheon of Duke/ACC greats does he sit?

nmduke2001
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Kyle is probably the toughest player I have ever seen. There were countless times during his four years that he was hit hard to the ground and I thought there was no way he would get up. He would grit his teeth and jump right up. I'm going to miss him.

DallasDevil
03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I was thinking earlier today about how irreplaceable he is. It is remarkable how consistently well and hard he played from the moment he arrived as a freshman. He embodies everything I love about Duke basketball. I haven't been as sad after a player's last game since J.J. in 2006. I wish Kyle the best in what will surely be a long and productive NBA career, as well as in his future endeavors.

p.s. I've never started a thread and it is a major technological undertaking for me to even spit out a post, but it would be great if someone would start a similar thread for Nolan. The ways that Kyle and Nolan got from point A to point B in their Duke careers was very different, but both are deserving of our admiration.

freedevil
03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Kyle is the man. I wish him the best of luck.

skylar
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
irreplaceable indeed

Jderf
03-25-2011, 11:32 AM
What were the final stats for Kyle and where in the pantheon of Duke/ACC greats does he sit?

Right at the top (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/misc.php?playerid=2472).

basket1544
03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Kyle logged more minutes than anyone else to wear the Duke uniform, started more games, played in as many games as Christian (not tournament games, but total games), and probably got more floor burns than everyone but Wojo. He's within the top 10 Duke players in 15 statistical categories that I'm aware of (only Christian is in more). I'm going to miss watching Kyle a lot! How many other players do you know that can come into a program and start out as a center, move to the forward position their sophomore year, move to the wing position their junior year, and then tell their coach their senior year that they'll be wherever is needed. Kyle's a warrior and yes I agree that the steal he made sliding across the floor during the second half is the way I'll remember him.

rthomas
03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
"What position does he play?" Krzyzewski said. "He plays winner."

ncexnyc
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you Kyle for 4 outstanding years. You brought it every single game and that's all we as fans can ask from our players. Good luck in your future life.

weezie
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
I have a mature lady crush on Kyle, few have matched his intensity and will.
God bless you Kyle!

BlueDster
03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
With the state of affairs in college basketball, it seems highly unlikely that Duke or any school may have players of Kyle's caliber on campus for 4 years. He had 3 chances to jump to the NBA and stuck with us all three times. I hope Duke fans can see past the loss and Kyle's slump towards the end of the season to truly appreciate how unique he is.

dukebluesincebirth
03-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Kyle Singler is a Dukie forever. Some guys play for Duke, some guys put it all on the line every night for Duke. How many times did this guy BLEED on the court in his career? How many times did he scrape skin off of knees and elbows? How many times did he get elbowed, hit, poked in the face? How many times did he dive over a bench or a row of chairs and leave us wondering where he went, only to reemerge in a few seconds as he sprinted back onto the court. He defined hustle and gave us a four year example of 100% effort and heart. And oh yeah, I think he might have helped hang a little banner in Cameron! Thank you Kyle. Job well done.

sympathy4thedevils
03-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I happened to be lucky enough to get to the title game last year. Coming out of one of the last timeouts (I believe it was the second to last timeout at 13.6 seconds), after the players broke with K and the staff, they did a quick second huddle off near the sideline before taking the floor. From where I was sitting you could see Kyle with his arms draped around the guys talking vociferously. I love his offensive game but I especially love the way Kyle embraced the role of directing and doing all of the little things on D. I think Raftery called him a "traffic cop" last night. So true.

Loved watching him develop and am excited to watch his game at the next level...

MaxAMillion
03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I was really happy to see Singler finish on such a positive note offensively. It is good that everyone's final memory of Singler will be of him playing well on both ends of the floor. Smith was not as good on offense last night, but no one will forget his player of the year performances this season.

Duke won't be as good next year and that is in large part due to Singler's contributions to the program. I wish him all the best.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Kyle has been an absolute warrior for Duke and a pleasure to watch. I am glad he is part of our family.

May you have a long and prosperous career at the next level!

-- OPK

burnspbesq
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
There's only one place left for Kyle to go: into the rafters.

Hang number 12.

wiscodevil
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
There's only one place left for Kyle to go: into the rafters.

Hang number 12.

absolutely! thanks for all of the wonderful memories!

DevilWearsPrada
03-25-2011, 01:43 PM
What a joy and blessing to have a young man like Kyle Singler stay with your program for 4 years. HE has accomplished so much. A warrior and a leader. The kid knows no pain. He had a nasty floor burn last night, and husseled to get back into the game, and played with 4 fouls.

If I was walking through a mine field, I would want Kyle Singler to lead the way. A leader, but a quiet leader and a fine young man.

Thank you for 4 years. I remember being in Indy last April, and on the last play, Kyle was nailed by Matt Howard on a hard screen, but Kyle turned his head to see if the ball made it or missed. Kyle popped right up and celebrated! Kid knows No Pain! A true warrior!
Duke will miss Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith next year. I already do : (

I have enjoyed your journey! Best in your NBA career. You are the Best!

Edouble
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I get a little teary eyed thinking about how Kyle Singler will never again suit up a #12 Duke jersey to play a game for the Blue Devils.

Every tough play that resulted in blood, I was always suprised it came out red instead of Duke blue.

Kyle Singler is the toughest player I've ever seen, hands down. I'm so very proud he was our Blue Devil for the last 4 years.

Thank you so much Kyle Singler. You'll always be one of my favorite Blue Devils!!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
So many memories of Kyle but watching him dive like superman last night to knock that ball away on the break will stick with me forever. That play, that hustle, that determination... is Kyle Singler. We miss you already big guy! Best of luck in the NBA!

Bojangles4Eva
03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Kyle is not just a warrior, he's a berserker...and he can slam a revolving door

MChambers
03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Kyle is not just a warrior, he's a berserker...and he can slam a revolving door
I will always think of Kyle as one of my favorite Duke players, up there with Grant, Shane, Bobby, and Johnny. He's that good and I really wonder if most fans realize how fantastic he is.

Lord Ash
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
An absolute warrior. Totally deserves to get his jersey retired.

NSDukeFan
03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Kyle has been one of my top 2 or 3 players ever at Duke. I have never been more excited about a recruit when he committed. What a huge loss. It just won't be the same without #12 in the lineup. That play last night when he stripped the ball on the Arizona fast break summed up his entire career. What a warrior he has been!
That reminded me very much of Jon chasing the Butler player down and blocking the shot in the final last year.

Kyle is a straight-up warrior. ...

Final parting thought, I am extremely proud that Kyle stayed around to get his degree. He is the only top-5 HS player from his class to have done that and we should consider ourselves very fortunate. Coming in after that 2007 season, Kyle and Nolan's class righted the ship and took us back to the top of college basketball. We still have a very bright future ahead of us.
I agree very much that it would be hard to imagine as great a player as Kyle staying around for 4 years again. I hope it happens again, but am not hopeful.

Right at the top (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/misc.php?playerid=2472).
And that does not include 18 more points, 8 more rebound, 1 more game played, etc. but your answer is correct.

"What position does he play?" Krzyzewski said. "He plays winner."
Exactly.

I will always think of Kyle as one of my favorite Duke players, up there with Grant, Shane, Bobby, and Johnny. He's that good and I really wonder if most fans realize how fantastic he is.
I certainly do. I look forward to seeing him have a great pro career.

dukeman28428
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Kyle, you have been an amazing player for Duke and it is impossible to find sufficient words to thank you. What a warrior you are..putting your team first every time. You represent class and what a Duke player stands for.....We will follow you closely in the pros and may GOD bless you in all that you do. Thanks for 4 great years and your legacy as a winner will always be here at Duke. Come back to Cameron as often as you can!!!!

Magnolia888
03-25-2011, 05:57 PM
I just love Kyle so much. (And I'm a girl - I don't have to be embarrassed about it or call it a "man crush." ;) )

I was really getting worried about him last night, with all that bleeding and bruising. But he seemed impervious to pain. Just like he always does. It was a tremendous effort, but sometimes, as I could see Coach K saying to Wojo, "it's just one of those days." I'm not sure who could have been Derrick Williams last night, but unfortunately it wasn't us.

Thank you for four great years, Kyle.

gwncnc
03-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I would also like to see no. 12 retired.

billyj
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
It's sad I wouldn't see Kyle Singler again in a Duke uniform. An amazing young man and a wonderful senior who gave four year of his service to the program.

cptnflash
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
To one of the greatest Blue Devils ever: thank you Kyle Singler for everything you've done during your time at Duke. When you arrived, our program was (for us) at somewhat of a low point. We got much better as soon as you joined the team. Three years later, you were the MOP of the Final Four and brought home the national championship trophy.

Order was restored. Because of you.

jv001
03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Man these four years really flew by. Sure going to miss you and I hope to see the
#12 hanging in the rafters. Go Duke and Go Kyle Singler. God bless you young man.

Utley
03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Gritty. A warrior. A winner wherever he goes and whatever he does. Even Coach K thought he was tough.

Brim
03-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you, Kyle. So proud to have you play at Duke. Thank you for 4 amazing years.

Gthoma2a
03-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Kyle is a warrior, and he is such a unique player. He was great from start to finish. He developed, but he was already at a high level at the beginning. His heart is his biggest asset, and I don't think it will ever be replaced. His effort was a key to our success the past four years, and he is a legend in the uniform. His number should go up, and images of his determined play are etched in my mind. I enjoyed him for his ability ability, but I loved him for his heart. He bled Duke blue, and a part of me feels dead to think that it's over. I think we all owe him a huge thank you, but it's never going to be enough. His excellence as a person is what Duke basketball is all about. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

MedfordMike
03-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Unlike most on this board I have appreciated Kyle for many more years. My daughter went to South Medford high with Kyle and I had the opportunity to see Kyle play many times including the match up against Lake Oswego and their star Kevin Love in the state basketball final. No one here has ever mentioned that game but I was lucky enough to attend that game and sit with a head coach from our local league. It was widely known and reported that Kyle and Kevin were rising stars headed for the big time. As the game began the coach leaned over and volunteered that Kyle was going to be one tired kid by the end of the game. But, no one told Kyle that giving up 50 lbs. and 3 inches to the best high school post prospect and future NBA rebounding leader would deny him of his goal…win a state championship. Well it didn’t and the coach told me as the game ended that his performance was as good as any he had ever seen. So, Dukies eventually saw what we saw, a kid whose motor is always running all out. Now, an avid Dukie myself I share the same love of your program, coach K, and the team oriented style he brings to basketball. Thank you all for acknowledging our hometown boy and the effort he gave, I am proud of Kyle and proud of Duke.

Emeritus
03-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Kyle Singler: the latest name in Duke's pantheon of noble warriors. Watching you and Nolan, another all-time great, do your Butch & Sundance number on opponents game after game, year after year has been an honor and a privilege. You sir are a class act, and exemplify what a true student athlete can and should be. You left nothing in the locker room and burned everything in the tank night after night. You may have played your last game in a Duke uniform but you are forever a Blue Devil, and your gladiator spirit will permeate Cameron and echo in our hearts forever. God Bless You Kyle Singler!

bjornolf
03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
I, for one, will miss you greatly, Kyle. Can't wait to see where you're drafted and follow you in the NBA. Also can't wait to see your jersey raised in Cameron alongside Nolan's. Love you guys.

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Kyle

Thanks for all you did for Duke. You are a warrior and a player who did his best on every play.

Best of luck in the future.

SoCal

Neals384
04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Just catching up with the threads here after a mandatory 10-day mourning period...and I'm crying my heart out after reading this thread. Maybe the NCAA could create a "stay for five" rule to counter all the one-and-dones. I love you, Kyle, and can't believe you're not coming back next year!

Flyers52
04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you Kyle and Nolan - you truly embodied what it means to be a Duke University Blue Devil. On and Off the court, you both were full of class, and represented the university and the legions of Duke fans so well. My nephews (8 & 10 ) look up to you two so much, and they look forward to following you in the NBA!

You both will be missed, and I hope to see your jerseys hanging in the rafters.

davekay1971
04-07-2011, 09:51 AM
And I don't mind at all. Enough said.

DevilWearsPrada
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Kyle stayed at Duke for 4 years! Amazing! A true ambassador for the Duke program. He is a leader and a warrior!

I love the part on this years 2011, ONE SHINING MOMENT, where it shows Kyle sliding across the court (where he received that nasty floor burn).. which is what Kyle Singler did for 4 years! A quiet and humble young man, that everyone loved, and could say nothing negative about at all.

Also, I love the trick shot video, featuring Kyle making these awesome Buckets. As Kyle says: "BUCKETS, BUCKETS".

Gonna miss this young man and his nice nice family from Oregon.

Kyle Singler, a quiet and humble Leader and Warrior, among Men!

jv001
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
One of the greatest to ever wear Duke Blue. Man, what a tireless worker and warrior. Kyle, players like you are what college basketball should be all about. God Bless you and I wish you success in your future(on the court and off). GoDuke!

moonpie23
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
many many thanks to you kyle.....My son sam and i met you at jon's charity benefit at cameron last year. It was a highlight...

best of luck to you in the nba!!!!

78Devil
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
No one epitomizes Duke work ethic better than Kyle. We will really, really miss him. I will always be particularly fond of him because he loved the college game enough to want another year when he could have left early. I love it when we get reminded that these incredible athletes are also college kids.

darjum
04-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Who couldn't appreciate this young man and his dorky buddy from Oregon.

SupaDave
04-30-2011, 10:54 AM

That pic is CRAZY!

And wasn't there supposed to be some highlight reel of his dives to save the ball? I would love to see that.

PaIronDuke
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Kyle and Nolan:

I have been watching Duke basketball since entering as a student in 1950, and those years obviously include some of the greatest, classiest players in college basketball history, going all the way back to Dick Groat.

All of these players should have been proud to have been associated as a group with the two of you, upholding the extraordinarily high standards of Duke basketball across the years. You all gave honor to the word "DUKE" across the front of your uniform.

Many years from now-perhaps when you are as old as I-you will appreciate more than now the tributes of your classmates and teammates, extolling the fact that your character and love for your school are precious attributes perhaps surpassing the many other accolades which may come your way between now and then..........

Godspeed to two of Duke's finest!