PDA

View Full Version : To DBR: On Shutting Down The Basketball Board

NYC Duke Fan
03-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Guys it is only a basketball game !! Closing down so we can have our private thoughts, come on now..This isn't a funeral.

Obviously, since it is your Board you can do whatever you want, but we are not talking about the devastation in Japan or the possible nuclear meltdown there. Duke lost a basketball game, it effects noone's life, let's not treat it as a major catastrophe.

People wanted to express themselves right after the game...you overreacted, but as I said it is your ball and your court.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Whole heartedly agree but I think your looking at it wrong. I think it was shut down because of how badly we lost and that it means the end of our season. People would have gotten on here a little angry or pissy and started posting things that would be cause for infractions and it was best just to give people a good nights rest first so that would not happen.

Lord Ash
03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
It was a very smart way to help avoid the emotion of a loss and allow people to deal with that, thus encouraging actual discussion of it.

jdk
03-25-2011, 09:33 AM
It was very late, and I'm sure the Moderators did not want to pull an all-nighter monitoring the forum.

Some of the heaviest traffic on Duke forums comes after a season-ending loss. Mostly fans of other schools looking to gloat.

dairedevil
03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Probably the worst thing for me was that, since dbr was down, I somehow wound up on ic...I know, bad decision on my part. They had a lot of discussion about how lame it was that dbr shut down the board due to meltdown. I wanted to ask if they had ever seen what their own board looks like after a loss.

Needless to say, I didn't stay there long. And, I gained an appreciation for the fact that dbr doesn't allow for emotional posters to trash the players and coaches.

DevilWearsPrada
03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I was feeling so bad last night through the 2nd half. I was on the GODUKE blog during the game.

It would have been good to share sad emotions with others last night. When I saw Nolan crying on TV, I lost it. Then it showed Kyle, and then his family. I shed all my tears last night. I felt like I lost a family pet or family member.

I know our girls are still playing (but great, they are in the UConn bracket).

And only to hear all this morning, from UNC alum and fans, how easy their 3rd game will be tonight.

I feel so bad for Nolan and Kyrle and Casey to end their senior years in such an abrupt way. They all had 4 year great Duke careers. So much to be proud of and the fact that they will graduate in May. I feel like glad and SMILE in my heart, because my face hasnt acknowleged the Smile yet today. I am in Mourning. But I am wearing Duke Blue and black today.

And sure as the sun will shine again, There Will be Basketball games again. !!!

And as always,
Go Duke! GTHC GTH!

Go Butler! Go VCU! Go Marquette! Go Richmond!

dukebsbll14
03-25-2011, 02:20 PM
And only to hear all this morning, from UNC alum and fans, how easy their 3rd game will be tonight.

Or to see them posting pictures of Nolan and Kyle getting emotional and reading what they say about it(not appropriate for this board). Stay classy, Tar Holes.

rthomas
03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Kinda like being in Egypt a few weeks ago when the government unplugged the internets.

jdk
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Probably the worst thing for me was that, since dbr was down, I somehow wound up on ic...I know, bad decision on my part. They had a lot of discussion about how lame it was that dbr shut down the board due to meltdown. I wanted to ask if they had ever seen what their own board looks like after a loss.

Needless to say, I didn't stay there long. And, I gained an appreciation for the fact that dbr doesn't allow for emotional posters to trash the players and coaches.

There was once a saying that began, "never argue with an idiot..."

Lord Ash
03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Kinda like being in Egypt a few weeks ago when the government unplugged the internets.

Hm. Not sure the two situations are really analogous.

pfrduke
03-26-2011, 02:48 AM
This thread was started on the Off Topic Board, but I've moved it over here because it's a useful place for two things: 1) an explanation of why the board was shut down last night, and 2) a reminder of why this board and this community operates the way it does.

First, on the shut down. This is only the second time since switching to the new format (and as far as I know, the second time in board history) that the boards have been given a cooling of period. The prior occasion happened after the West Virginia game. It was the single worst display of player disparagement in the board's history. The moderators issued dozens of infractions - 50% more than any other day in the board's history - and it would have been several dozens more had not the moderators and owners stepped in and asked everyone to sleep on it.

And that's all we asked people to do. Sleep on it. Let the anger and sadness of the moment - and the tendency to lash out and vent (both of which are prohibited here) that those emotions inspire - dissipate overnight, and come back with fresh emotions and fresh thoughts in the morning.

That decision was, to say the least, controversial. It inspired very lengthy discussion (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8178-Dbr...i-Have-A-Problem-And-Is-Probably-Going-To-Get-Me-Kicked-Off...i-Do-Appologize). The discussion that followed was, I thought, a fruitful one. It served, at the end of the day, as a reminder of a few critical points. Those points are as follows:

1. This is a private place. It is not a public forum. We are all here at the discretion of the owners of the site. It's easy for us all to forget that - registration is relatively painless, and once one is registered, one can post essentially without inhibition. But that does not alter the fundamental structure, which is that the board is a privately owned forum.

2. The fact that it is a private place means that people do not have any "right" to say whatever it is they want.

3. That being said, the degree to which people's ability to say whatever it is they want is restricted is extremely minimal. We have the decorum and posting guidelines, which go into more detail, but the basic rules are this - be civil with one another, don't say anything about a player you wouldn't say if the player or his family were standing in front of you, and don't act like a raving lunatic. They're rules of common decency, which, if you ask me, is an extremely low threshold. And the fact that it's a low threshold is made clear by the infraction numbers. Only about a quarter of one percent of all posts end up with as much as a warning - the numbers with infractions are even fewer. For every thousand posts, somewhere between 990 and 995 comply with the guidelines. That's pretty darn good - it means that almost every poster doesn't have a problem complying with the rules, and it also suggests that the rules are just about right.

So flash forward to three weeks ago. We were 27-3, 13-2 in conference, a top 5 team, coming off of a national title year, and showed remarkable resolve after the loss of one of the best 5-10 players in the country. And we played a poor game at UNC. For some reason, that inspired a meltdown the likes of which we really hadn't seen since the West Virginia game. The level of vitriol being leveled at our own team and players by our fans really caught us as moderators by surprise. And it was disappointing.

When the game last night started slipping away, the behavior in the in-game thread suggested that the board was headed for the same kind of meltdown. Beyond the fact that it's not acceptable under the guidelines of this site, that was not the way for this season to be remembered. We had to make a quick decision. And so we did what we did three years ago - we asked people to sleep on it. Let the anger and sadness of the moment - and the tendency to lash out and vent that those emotions inspire - dissipate overnight, and come back with fresh emotions and fresh thoughts in the morning. And to our posters' credit, they did. The tenor of the conversation today has been measured. There has been disappointment and frustration, sure, but it's been expressed with civility, not with vitriol. We owe all of you a big thanks for that.

At the end of the day, the owners of the site want this place to be a little different from other internet message boards. They're trying to recreate an online version of the neighborhood pub - a place you can come where you know the regulars and they know you, where you can talk about everyone's favorite pasttime, and where you can do so without some of the negative sides of internet anonymity. They've asked a handful of people to watch the boards on a daily basis and help ensure that the neighborhood pub spirit is being upheld. And last night, the best way to do that was to ask everyone to go home and cool off. We're sure that many of you were disappointed not to be able to come on and commiserate with your fellow patrons. But we thank you for understanding, and for continuing to contribute to the community in a way that has made this place the stellar site it is for the past 15 years.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I completely understand the thinking behind the decision of the moderators - I can't think you enough for what you do. In the interest of fostering positive dialogue, I'd like to offer my two cents as a reader for over ten years and relatively infrequent poster.

Yes, I appreciate not having to wade through the vitriol and muck after a devastating loss. I value not being goaded by opponents and "haters" while everything is raw. I'm glad I didn't log on last night and find pages and pages of insta-naylsis blaming the players, K, a program on the decline, etc.

However, I was so disappointed that I was unable to log on and listen to the compassionate words of other people who feel exactly like I do. Sporting fans, for better or for worse, are a community. Without sites like this, my Duke fandom would largely happen in a vacuum. I don't have locals that share my love of Duke basketball and can empathize with me after a loss. This particular community ties me to my team in a wonderful way and allows me to share thoughts, ideas, pride, and frustration with those who understand exactly where I am coming from.

After watching Duke's incredibly disappointing game last night at a bar where I was one of the only people wearing Duke blue, I was eager to get home and get some solace from Ozzie, superdave, Bob Green... whoever else could relate to my situation, try and avoid the gloom and doom, and not immediately launch into a discussion of Kyrie Irving's draft status or discuss UNC's chances of winning it all.

When I tried to read the board after returning home, it was locked and I understood. The moderators have to make tough calls. And probably, if I had read pages and pages of inappropriate posts regarding some of my favorite Duke players in the last 25 years, I would have slept even worse.

I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Thanks again for all you do; I'm sure none of us wanted to start our off season this soon. Let's hope for several consecutive undefeated seasons so you don't have to make this call again for a long time.

Go Duke.

LSanders
03-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Stay classy, Tar Holes.

You're kidding, right?

To the mods ... Excellent move. ALL Blue Devil players are special, but Kyle and Nolan occupy the kind of sacred ground where Grant, Hurley, Shane, et al, reside. If shutting the board down helped potentially spare those amazing men, I, for one, am 100% behind the decision.

jefreema
03-26-2011, 06:09 AM
i'm of two minds on this.

on the one hand, i think shutting down things was a terrific move. i always found it embarrassing some of things that would be posted on other duke boards about players and such. letting everyone cool down was a good idea that i never had considered.

however, from a purely selfish perspective, i work at nights and the flat sreen tv in my office was commandeered by unc fans that i didn't know that well. they antagonized me the whole second half. i have never seen anything like it. even after i asked politely if they would just "leave me alone for a while". i finally got up and left for 30 minutes until they all scattered. at this point, all i wanted to do was hop on here and read some positive things so i was disappointed when i logged on.

having said this, my disappointment is a small price to pay for board integrity. thanks for the good work you all do.

HK Dukie
03-26-2011, 08:55 AM
I agree with the decision.

I think we should do it at the end of every year except when we end on a win. A few hours cooling off is a good idea in many situations.

miramar
03-26-2011, 08:56 AM

If we are doing the opposite of IC, then we (moderators and posters) must be doing something right.

kong123
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM

you are starting to sound like Roy

texas
03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
i came here after the game just to read some comments and thoughts and was a little surprised the board was closed temporarily. however, if you like meltdowns, just check out a texas board after a football loss. legen . . . don't have to wait for it . . . dary

NSDukeFan
03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
(very good explanation)

Thanks for the explanation. I was surprised (but not hugely) to see the board shut down the morning after the Arizona game. I was pleasantly surprised that the tone of the board was pretty reasonable for the most part when I was able to get back on the board. There were a few ridiculous posts in my opinion, but they were overshadowed by a nice level-headed analysis and discussion, I thought.
Thanks for giving me a good place to discuss Duke basketball and I agree with the decision to shut the board down for a few hour cooling off period. I don't need to see venting, or hyperbolic criticism of some of my favorite players and a great coaching staff.

jv001
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
you are starting to sound like Roy

Funnest post from you ever. GoDuke!

NYBri
03-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Have you ever said anything really painful and mean to someone during a heated argument...especially after you might be really upset and had a bit too much to drink...that in the long run you REALLY wish you could take back but now it's too late? Damage done.

I think that's where the board was headed and I agree with shutting things down so that everyone could take a time out to put things in perspective (and maybe sober up a little) and to realize how much we really love the team and the players who gave their all.

Number one rule of relationships.

NEVER say anything you can't take back, and I sensed there were some folks getting ready to do just that.

Also, remember, come Countdown to Craziness 2011, this sting will still be there, but we'll be full of hope for Duke Blue and their prospects for a great season.

DukieInKansas
03-26-2011, 01:38 PM
When I got home from the watching the game, I didn't even try to access the boards. I figured they would be shut down and I'm not sorry they were. Harsh things can be posted in the heat of the moment that can't be taken back. A pro-active stance to avoid that was a good thing. Given a night to sleep on the loss doesn't make it less painful but it does allow for a bit more perspective before posting.

Thanks for all you do, moderators!

TNDukeFan
03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
...of shutting down the board.

While I'm at it, let me thank everyone on here, posters and mods. During this past season, I've gotten in the habit of logging in to the in-game thread while watching Duke play. It adds so much to the experience. I relate to the panic-mongers, relax after reading the voices of wisdom and calm restraint, and laugh at the court (pun intended) jesters.

Thanks, everyone.

LSanders
03-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Gotta second that!!

OldPhiKap
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Good call by the mods IMO.

Good year for the team, another good season on the board.

Time to migrate to the OT board until football starts heating up.

And let's get 'em all in 2011-12.

-- OPK

AZLA
03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Guys it is only a basketball game !! Closing down so we can have our private thoughts, come on now..This isn't a funeral.

Obviously, since it is your Board you can do whatever you want, but we are not talking about the devastation in Japan or the possible nuclear meltdown there. Duke lost a basketball game, it effects noone's life, let's not treat it as a major catastrophe.

People wanted to express themselves right after the game...you overreacted, but as I said it is your ball and your court.

Agreed 100%. It was an over-reaction to shut it down and goes against basic principles of an online board. Here was a moment when a community of fans wanted to come together and communicate over a poignant moment and denied it. I know it wasn't the moderators intent, but the outcome is manipulation of content. You didn't tell people to cool off and think about what they were going to post after the emotion of Duke winning a National Championship. If anything, you unknowingly contributed to the stereotype that Duke fans are too sensitive, especially when things don't go their way.

ThePublisher
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
It does affect some of our lives. I've been in a complete slump since the game was out of reach and have been getting constant crap from all of the unc people out there. It will take time to recover.

They shut it down so everyones posts weren't: I cant (*&#ing believe we #%*# lost to (#&$#$ arizona those (*&#$@*& and the refs are (*#&$(&*#@. That was mostly avoided by the shut down.

MartyClark
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
This thread was started on the Off Topic Board, but I've moved it over here because it's a useful place for two things: 1) an explanation of why the board was shut down last night, and 2) a reminder of why this board and this community operates the way it does.

First, on the shut down. This is only the second time since switching to the new format (and as far as I know, the second time in board history) that the boards have been given a cooling of period. The prior occasion happened after the West Virginia game. It was the single worst display of player disparagement in the board's history. The moderators issued dozens of infractions - 50% more than any other day in the board's history - and it would have been several dozens more had not the moderators and owners stepped in and asked everyone to sleep on it.

And that's all we asked people to do. Sleep on it. Let the anger and sadness of the moment - and the tendency to lash out and vent (both of which are prohibited here) that those emotions inspire - dissipate overnight, and come back with fresh emotions and fresh thoughts in the morning.

That decision was, to say the least, controversial. It inspired very lengthy discussion (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8178-Dbr...i-Have-A-Problem-And-Is-Probably-Going-To-Get-Me-Kicked-Off...i-Do-Appologize). The discussion that followed was, I thought, a fruitful one. It served, at the end of the day, as a reminder of a few critical points. Those points are as follows:

1. This is a private place. It is not a public forum. We are all here at the discretion of the owners of the site. It's easy for us all to forget that - registration is relatively painless, and once one is registered, one can post essentially without inhibition. But that does not alter the fundamental structure, which is that the board is a privately owned forum.

2. The fact that it is a private place means that people do not have any "right" to say whatever it is they want.

3. That being said, the degree to which people's ability to say whatever it is they want is restricted is extremely minimal. We have the decorum and posting guidelines, which go into more detail, but the basic rules are this - be civil with one another, don't say anything about a player you wouldn't say if the player or his family were standing in front of you, and don't act like a raving lunatic. They're rules of common decency, which, if you ask me, is an extremely low threshold. And the fact that it's a low threshold is made clear by the infraction numbers. Only about a quarter of one percent of all posts end up with as much as a warning - the numbers with infractions are even fewer. For every thousand posts, somewhere between 990 and 995 comply with the guidelines. That's pretty darn good - it means that almost every poster doesn't have a problem complying with the rules, and it also suggests that the rules are just about right.

So flash forward to three weeks ago. We were 27-3, 13-2 in conference, a top 5 team, coming off of a national title year, and showed remarkable resolve after the loss of one of the best 5-10 players in the country. And we played a poor game at UNC. For some reason, that inspired a meltdown the likes of which we really hadn't seen since the West Virginia game. The level of vitriol being leveled at our own team and players by our fans really caught us as moderators by surprise. And it was disappointing.

When the game last night started slipping away, the behavior in the in-game thread suggested that the board was headed for the same kind of meltdown. Beyond the fact that it's not acceptable under the guidelines of this site, that was not the way for this season to be remembered. We had to make a quick decision. And so we did what we did three years ago - we asked people to sleep on it. Let the anger and sadness of the moment - and the tendency to lash out and vent that those emotions inspire - dissipate overnight, and come back with fresh emotions and fresh thoughts in the morning. And to our posters' credit, they did. The tenor of the conversation today has been measured. There has been disappointment and frustration, sure, but it's been expressed with civility, not with vitriol. We owe all of you a big thanks for that.

At the end of the day, the owners of the site want this place to be a little different from other internet message boards. They're trying to recreate an online version of the neighborhood pub - a place you can come where you know the regulars and they know you, where you can talk about everyone's favorite pasttime, and where you can do so without some of the negative sides of internet anonymity. They've asked a handful of people to watch the boards on a daily basis and help ensure that the neighborhood pub spirit is being upheld. And last night, the best way to do that was to ask everyone to go home and cool off. We're sure that many of you were disappointed not to be able to come on and commiserate with your fellow patrons. But we thank you for understanding, and for continuing to contribute to the community in a way that has made this place the stellar site it is for the past 15 years.

I appreciate your thoughtful response. Although somewhat irrelevant, the contrast between DBR and the Ic board is remarkable. The comments on DBR considerably more thoughtful and the mods contributions are considerable.

If this is not an appropriate inquiry, I understand. I am curious. Do the mods receive compensation for their work? I assume that DBR is a for profit venture. Do the mods have "real world" jobs? What expectations does DBR have for the mods in terms of staying up late after a game, like the last one, to monitor posts?

You all do a great job, if it's not my business, that's okay.

pfrduke
03-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful response. Although somewhat irrelevant, the contrast between DBR and the Ic board is remarkable. The comments on DBR considerably more thoughtful and the mods contributions are considerable.

If this is not an appropriate inquiry, I understand. I am curious. Do the mods receive compensation for their work? I assume that DBR is a for profit venture. Do the mods have "real world" jobs? What expectations does DBR have for the mods in terms of staying up late after a game, like the last one, to monitor posts?

We're all volunteers with lives and day jobs, etc. And of course, we're all Duke fans (most, but not all, are also alums). There are no stated shifts or expectations for staying up late (although we have folks scattered across the country, so that helps).

devil84
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Moderators are volunteer moderators, and we have "real world" jobs outside of DBR and the sports world. We all started as members of the community -- not as moderators (there are a number of discussion boards out there who look for moderators outside of their own community). We do this because we love Duke Basketball and the community here. We are not "expected" to stay up and moderate the board so much as we WANT to stay up and moderate -- provided we're not actually AT the game (and even then, our smartphones won't have much battery by the time we get back to the car).

Our "compensation" comes from the pride of seeing the results of our work, that most posters want to abide by the posted rules and keep this place a cut above other boards. No small part of that comes from the public comments in posts and private PMs from DBR members.

Thank you to those of you who have complemented us publicly and privately. We appreciate your support of our decision to shut down the board for about 8 hours to allow all of us (mods AND posters) to let the emotions stabilize a bit to allow for some great discussion. And the discussion after this loss has been very thoughtful and civil. We've had the fewest number of deleted posts, warnings, and infractions after a heartbreaking loss in a long time (ever?). It's amazing what sleeping on it can do for our outlook on losses!

Lest y'all are wondering where the profits go, they bring you the stellar writers on the front page, not to mention the server and bandwidth on which we're allowed to access this site for free. [Shameless Plug]Donations of any amounts are accepted at any time. Just clicking on the ads helps, too.[/Shameless Plug]

moonpie23
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
i thought it was appropriate.....

duke4ever19
03-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I am never in favor of anybody silencing the right of other human beings to voice their opinion. China monitoring the searches of it's citizens, and a recent circumstance where a people in Egypt had their internet cut off is a prime example why the power to both grant and outlaw access to information should not be given to a small group of people.

However, Duke's loss to Arizona, while depressing, is not in any way a similar situation. The mods probably didn't feel like watching a meltdown and out of respect for the team, and the integrity of the board, kept those of us with more emotional natures from tallying unnecessary warnings and damaged internet reputations:)

We were not kept off the internet nor our searches monitored. DBR seems to pride itself on thoughtful, intelligent conversation. And that reputation might have well been soiled by visitors looking to mock and jeer and perhaps a few hot-head fans.

I used to frequent another Duke site but stumbled onto this one and was immediately impressed with the quality of conversation. Thank you mods for saving that reputation.

dukelilsis
03-27-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm thankful that the board was shut down. I think it was an appropriate and efficient way to handle the situation. It also probably kept me from getting an infraction--not for speaking badly about our players but rather for lashing out at other members who were. It would've been equally inappropriate for me to do so even in defense of "my boys" (as I endearingly refer to them) and yet my emotions were leading me there. We just have to remember that no matter how disappointed we may be, they players were more so and I think it was respectful to stop any further posts that could've been hurtful to them.
Thank you mods for all that you do. I love coming to the site knowing that it will be full of other Duke fans and free of "the hate".

Go Duke! Approximately 6 1/2 months till practice officially begins!

OZ
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
We're all volunteers with lives and day jobs, etc. And of course, we're all Duke fans (most, but not all, are also alums). There are no stated shifts or expectations for staying up late (although we have folks scattered across the country, so that helps).

I want to express a word of appreciation for what you guys do. Most of the time, it is a pleasure to read from this board.

I also want to thank you for closing the board after the Duke-Az game. You saved me from getting several infractions.

-jk
03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
I want to express a word of appreciation for what you guys do. Most of the time, it is a pleasure to read from this board.

I also want to thank you for closing the board after the Duke-Az game. You saved me from getting several infractions.

Thanks. That was the general idea. And letting us get some sleep!

-jk

Wheat/"/"/"
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
As a Tar Heel fan who has been around here since just a few months after this sites creation, i thought it was another in a long line of wise decisions the mods and owners have made.

They shouldn't have had to make it, but message boards get out of control pretty quickly and leaders lead by making the tough calls for greater good.

i personally have not commented on Duke's season ending loss, yet. I will offer my opinion when it won't be so emotional around here.

I do try to respect the site, and wish there was a UNC site like it.

One thing I would like for the admins to consider is adding the "I'm a real wanker for saying this" filter to the term "Tar Holes"....is that really necessary vocabulary? What happened to wit... a cleaver comment... to diss a rival?

I can continue to just ignore it as always, it's not a big deal to me, but those who are using it really don't advance the conversation that often and it seems to me to be just plain nasty and beneath the community standard.

diveonthefloor
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
DBR is awesome.

If you sometimes lose appreciation for that, consider a few things:

---take a peak at IC tonight and read through some of the meltdown. I'm sure glad that didn't happen on DBR.
---I'd love to see a spelling bee between DBR posters and IC posters.....Fun!
---cerebral Carolina fans (yes there are a few) are seen hanging out at DBR much moreso than IC.

WiJoe
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
As a Tar Heel fan who has been around here since just a few months after this sites creation, i thought it was another in a long line of wise decisions the mods and owners have made.

They shouldn't have had to make it, but message boards get out of control pretty quickly and leaders lead by making the tough calls for greater good.

Well, we should all be happy the actions of the moderators are approved by ter heal fans.

:rolleyes:

diveonthefloor
03-27-2011, 10:11 PM
One thing I would like for the admins to consider is adding the "I'm a real wanker for saying this" filter to the term "Tar Holes"....is that really necessary vocabulary? What happened to wit... a cleaver comment... to diss a rival?

I can continue to just ignore it as always, it's not a big deal to me, but those who are using it really don't advance the conversation that often and it seems to me to be just plain nasty and beneath the community standard.

Is it ok if we just call them the "Wankers?"

Wheat/"/"/"
03-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, we should all be happy the actions of the moderators are approved by ter heal fans.

:rolleyes:

"I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"..."I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"..."I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"...

:p

OldPhiKap
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
"I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"..."I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"..."I'm a real wanker for thinking this and almost saying this"...

:p

Not sure why Wheat's getting the hate. I thought his original post was more than okay.

And, FWIW, I agree that the whole "hole" thing is pretty jv.

JMHO.

moonpie23
03-27-2011, 10:52 PM

i'll quit referring to y'all as "tarholes" when you guys learn how to spell DUKE and eliminate the "rat" term ......

let me know when that's all done...
oh, and it IS clever.....might not be cleaver, but it's definitely "clever"

throatybeard
03-27-2011, 11:56 PM

Rarely do I agree with Wheat, but yes. "Tar Holes" is unbelievably childish. I wouldn't say as childish as I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., but close. It has got to end. It embarrasses me, as a Duke alum, every time I see it.

I will come correct here. I was the mod who first suggested a shutdown on TH night. Part of this is because I remember how ugly things got here after WVU 08 and Villanova 09, (and @UNC 11) but also because I was the only mod looking at the @Clemson 09 game thread. All of those were just an avalanche of really nasty stuff about the players. I sent out a calling all cars after Clemson, but we're a volunteer force, and it was hard to get on top of.

This is not Egypt. That's absurd. It's a private site that makes the overwhelming majority of its traffic on the main site, not on the boards. The boards are here out of Julian's discretion. DBR does not actually need the boards. BUT I think there's a consensus among the admins and the mods that this website can foster a positive community using the boards.

A cool-down period after a season terminal loss is not the East German police cracking skulls. And ultimately, I think that a little bit of moderation here (and an incredibly small % of posts are deleted--a fraction of 1%) keeps more people around who don't want to see egregious junk. And that's not even considering UNC, UVA, Maryland drivebys that are blocked too.

Lulu
03-27-2011, 11:59 PM
My vote goes in the "shutting down is more harmful than good" column. I've never received an infraction for any posts about players, teams, etc, but I did get one for my post on the topic of shutting down the boards (I basically said it was insulting being parented, with no vulgarities, but I won't repeat my full post and phrasing here to avoid any further infractions.)

I think "disappointing" is an understatement. I'm here during and after every game, even if I'm not posting, and never did I wish to read some of my fellows' thoughts more than after the AZ loss.

Of course this is a "private" forum. So it's true it's up to the moderators/admin where they choose to lie on the free speech vs fascism curve. I guess I do not agree with where a site like this should lie, but it's not my choice, I can only wish that it was.

As for the notion of a pub... let's just say that in my opinion that's a really poor analogy... Unless we're talking about a pub that only serves orange juice, closes at 4pm on Fridays, and was just bought by the local preacher.

The boards were shut down almost immediately following the game. I went straight from the in-game forum, once it was closed, to looking for the post-game forum, and the site was already down. I guess it's my fault, but I've come to rely on the boards here to provide me with links to post-game pressers, etc., so not having that available was also really depressing.

Ok, I've said more than enough. I don't think I crossed any lines but fingers crossed.

TWRX5284
03-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Yea after an NCAA tournament loss I don't visit the boards because I need to get the frustration and grief out of my system :)

At least I can root for the hometown team now, VCU!

ncexnyc
03-28-2011, 02:11 AM
I had a sneaky suspicion that the board would be closed after the loss. Considering some of the lame comments I read the day after I can only guess how ugly it would have been immediately after the game. I fully support the decision to close the board after the game.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
i'll quit referring to y'all as "tarholes" when you guys learn how to spell DUKE and eliminate the "rat" term ......

let me know when that's all done...
oh, and it IS clever.....might not be cleaver, but it's definitely "clever"

Thanks for following me around and correcting my spelling mistakes when I'm tired. It's good to know you have my back.

And I have never referred to coach K as "rat" or misspelled Duke around here...take that crap to IC or Devils Den is all I'm suggesting.

davekay1971
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I know I'm late in chiming in, but let me add my support to the Mods for shutting down the board for the night. It was a devastating loss, because we were ahead and seemed in control throughout the first half, because we all had such high hopes since before the season began that were rekindled by our ACC tournament win and the return of Kyrie, and because it was so unexpected. There was not just a high likelihood, there was a certainty of...ahem...intemperate posts coming during the hours after the game.

Keeping in mind that some of the players, their families, and their friends read this site, and the players, I guarantee, were far more devastated than any of us after the loss, if shutting down the site spared them from receiving some undeservedly vitriolic commentary from their own fanbase, then fine with me. Personally, I saw the message that the forum was temporarily shut down, nodded in agreement with decision, poured some whiskey over some ice, turned on Deadwood to watch some shootin' and swearin', and got over myself.

Chard
03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Agreed 100%. It was an over-reaction to shut it down and goes against basic principles of an online board. Here was a moment when a community of fans wanted to come together and communicate over a poignant moment and denied it. I know it wasn't the moderators intent, but the outcome is manipulation of content. You didn't tell people to cool off and think about what they were going to post after the emotion of Duke winning a National Championship. If anything, you unknowingly contributed to the stereotype that Duke fans are too sensitive, especially when things don't go their way.

Well said. My clicks went elsewhere that night. It was hard to find a good conversation about what happend in the game that night.

It was like trying to come together for an online group hug and getting the talk-to-the-hand treatment. I'm sure there were a few that wanted to turn it into a mosh pit but that is what mods are for, right?

Oh, well. Time for the long wait until football season!

-jk
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Well said. My clicks went elsewhere that night. It was hard to find a good conversation about what happend in the game that night.

It was like trying to come together for an online group hug and getting the talk-to-the-hand treatment. I'm sure there were a few that wanted to turn it into a mosh pit but that is what mods are for, right?

Oh, well. Time for the long wait until football season!

I wish it were so easy! Mods are members, too, and have real lives. Staying up late, dealing with cranky, venting fans, isn't much fun.

-jk

Stray Gator
03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I wish it were so easy! Mods are members, too, and have real lives. Staying up late, dealing with cranky, venting fans, isn't much fun.

-jk

I suspect that those who are complaining about the temporary shutdown of this forum simply do not comprehend the volume and vitriolic nature of the gloating, taunting messages that rival fans were trying to post here after the loss to Arizona. Had the board remained open and been inundated with such posts--and the predictable responses--because the few moderators who were not at the game or who were otherwise away from their keyboards immediately after the game were overwhelmed, I'd like to think that those who are complaining now would have had enough pride in and respect for the DBR community that they would have protested even more vigorously about the content of the messages that were going up faster than the moderators could take them down.

Speaking only for myself, I appreciate the fact that the majority of posters appear to be understanding of the difficult circumstances that left the moderators no practical alternative but to close down the board in order to preserve its integrity and prevent an outbreak of heated exchanges that would only have resulted in haughty satisfaction for those who hate Duke and severe sanctions (and enduring regrets) for some of our resident members.

Chard
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM

-jk

I hear ya! Thanks for putting in the effort, guys.

It really isn't that big of an issue for me. Heck, I went fishing/camping the next day and haven't been in front of a puter until today.

I still stand by my remarks and my endorsement of AZLA's post. I'm well aware of what other fans could have posted had they been able to register with the site and post. I was not aware of the volume of potential offenders who had been able to register. I suffered several UNC fans at my campsite all weekend long.

Anyways, just trying to give constructive criticism.

gep
03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I suspect that those who are complaining about the temporary shutdown of this forum simply do not comprehend the volume and vitriolic nature of the gloating, taunting messages that rival fans were trying to post here after the loss to Arizona. Had the board remained open and been inundated with such posts--and the predictable responses--because the few moderators who were not at the game or who were otherwise away from their keyboards immediately after the game were overwhelmed, I'd like to think that those who are complaining now would have had enough pride in and respect for the DBR community that they would have protested even more vigorously about the content of the messages that were going up faster than the moderators could take them down.

Speaking only for myself, I appreciate the fact that the majority of posters appear to be understanding of the difficult circumstances that left the moderators no practical alternative but to close down the board in order to preserve its integrity and prevent an outbreak of heated exchanges that would only have resulted in haughty satisfaction for those who hate Duke and severe sanctions (and enduring regrets) for some of our resident members.

I wanted to let the Moderators know that I also agreed with the temporary shutdown. After the game, I got on DBR to seek post-game comments... but was thinking that there would also be hoards of negative stuff too, which I wasn't in the mood for. So, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the shutdown, thinking that this will significantly curb the negative stuff, which it did. Thanks, guys...

p.s. I was also not fully aware that a lot of the negative stuff, and back-and-forth, are from posters from other fanbases. The shutdown probably made them go elsewhere.

dukeballboy88
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
My wife woke up during the arizona onslaught and she came into the tv room and said, "Are you that upset!" Because I had my head buried in both hands and I said yes I am.

I wanted Kyle and Nolan to go out on top so bad, I pulled for them so hard it hurt to see the game end the way it did. Ive had tough Duke losses before but I dont think I had the kind of attachment I had to any players before that I had to Kyle and Nolan.

Kyle was so nice to us at ctc and he signed my jersey and I looked at him and said Thanks cause this is going in the rafters along with another banner! He was like thanks man!

And just for the record, Im still in shock and devastated!

Stray Gator
03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I received the following negative comment--anonymous, of course--to the message I posted above regarding the reasons for the temporary closure of this forum after the loss to Arizona:

"Next time, try to talk to us instead of appearing to talk above us to another mod. It's insulting."

I don't know how I'm supposed to talk to you when you don't have the common courtesy to identify yourself. But to whomever you are, I came on here in response to some posters' criticism of the moderators to offer an explanation of the circumstances that prompted the decision to shut down the board temporarily--circumstances that I had hoped would make sense to those who value the quality of the discourse here and appreciate the efforts of the moderators to maintain certain standards of civility in which Duke fans can take pride. That you found that explanation personally offensive speaks volumes about your lack of respect and appreciation for this forum and those who work to maintain it. Many objective observers might say that if anyone is entitled to feel insulted by the criticisms expressed in this thread, it is the moderators, who spend countless hours of their time and attention to provide the participants here a forum in which they can feel comfortable, only to find themselves the targets of griping--and anonymous sniping--by an ungracious few.

Fortunately, the posts in this thread overwhelmingly reflect the sentiments of most DBR posters, who come to this forum in the spirit of good fellowship for which it is intended. Those members of the DBR community recognize that the moderators are doing the best they can. And those members do not require an explanation of the reasons for temporarily closing the boards, because they share a common desire to keep this place an oasis in a virtual desert of unintelligent, immature, and sometimes malicious, babble; and they are willing to forego a few hours of access to prevent others from trashing what is, to them and to us, a special place worth protecting.

But your anonymous negative comment suggests to me that maybe this really isn't such a special place anymore. And in light of the fact that my last two messages elicited anonymous negative comments, this certainly doesn't seem like a place where my posts are welcome. So you need not worry about there being a "next time."

MartyClark
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I received the following negative comment--anonymous, of course--to the message I posted above regarding the reasons for the temporary closure of this forum after the loss to Arizona:

"Next time, try to talk to us instead of appearing to talk above us to another mod. It's insulting."

I don't know how I'm supposed to talk to you when you don't have the common courtesy to identify yourself. But to whomever you are, I came on here in response to some posters' criticism of the moderators to offer an explanation of the circumstances that prompted the decision to shut down the board temporarily--circumstances that I had hoped would make sense to those who value the quality of the discourse here and appreciate the efforts of the moderators to maintain certain standards of civility in which Duke fans can take pride. That you found that explanation personally offensive speaks volumes about your lack of respect and appreciation for this forum and those who work to maintain it. Many objective observers might say that if anyone is entitled to feel insulted by the criticisms expressed in this thread, it is the moderators, who spend countless hours of their time and attention to provide the participants here a forum in which they can feel comfortable, only to find themselves the targets of griping--and anonymous sniping--by an ungracious few.

Fortunately, the posts in this thread overwhelmingly reflect the sentiments of most DBR posters, who come to this forum in the spirit of good fellowship for which it is intended. Those members of the DBR community recognize that the moderators are doing the best they can. And those members do not require an explanation of the reasons for temporarily closing the boards, because they share a common desire to keep this place an oasis in a virtual desert of unintelligent, immature, and sometimes malicious, babble; and they are willing to forego a few hours of access to prevent others from trashing what is, to them and to us, a special place worth protecting.

But your anonymous negative comment suggests to me that maybe this really isn't such a special place anymore. And in light of the fact that my last two messages elicited anonymous negative comments, this certainly doesn't seem like a place where my posts are welcome. So you need not worry about there being a "next time."

Thanks for your involvement. I have learned a bit about the work you mods do in this thread and the decision to shut down DBR now makes more sense to me. Don't let the occasional jerk get you down.

tendev
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
My vote goes in the "shutting down is more harmful than good" column. I've never received an infraction for any posts about players, teams, etc, but I did get one for my post on the topic of shutting down the boards (I basically said it was insulting being parented, with no vulgarities, but I won't repeat my full post and phrasing here to avoid any further infractions.)

I think "disappointing" is an understatement. I'm here during and after every game, even if I'm not posting, and never did I wish to read some of my fellows' thoughts more than after the AZ loss.

Of course this is a "private" forum. So it's true it's up to the moderators/admin where they choose to lie on the free speech vs fascism curve. I guess I do not agree with where a site like this should lie, but it's not my choice, I can only wish that it was.

As for the notion of a pub... let's just say that in my opinion that's a really poor analogy... Unless we're talking about a pub that only serves orange juice, closes at 4pm on Fridays, and was just bought by the local preacher.

The boards were shut down almost immediately following the game. I went straight from the in-game forum, once it was closed, to looking for the post-game forum, and the site was already down. I guess it's my fault, but I've come to rely on the boards here to provide me with links to post-game pressers, etc., so not having that available was also really depressing.

Ok, I've said more than enough. I don't think I crossed any lines but fingers crossed.

Here, here, Lulu. Thanks for saving me the time to express precisely what you have stated. No addendum necessary.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I tried to post shortly after the game, only to find that my post had been rejected (all that writing for nothing) and that the boards were shut down. I sent an e-mail (apparently to Julian) expressing my disappointment, and he said he passed it on to the board mods, so I won't repeat it here. But I still STRONGLY disagree with the decision to shut down the boards, while agreeing with the mods that they have the right to do so. I guess no one here owes us anything. But, to me, DBR was the place to turn to share some of my frustrations (civilly) and try to come to an understanding of just what the heck happened in that game, and when the boards shut down I had nowhere to turn. I found my frustrations compounded by the fact that I had nowhere to release them. DBR's most important function is to serve as a place where fans can come together and discuss Duke basketball, and in the hours after the game, when it was needed most, DBR failed those fans by closing shop. Anyway, that's my opinion.

gep
03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I tried to post shortly after the game, only to find that my post had been rejected (all that writing for nothing) and that the boards were shut down. I sent an e-mail (apparently to Julian) expressing my disappointment, and he said he passed it on to the board mods, so I won't repeat it here. But I still STRONGLY disagree with the decision to shut down the boards, while agreeing with the mods that they have the right to do so. I guess no one here owes us anything. But, to me, DBR was the place to turn to share some of my frustrations (civilly) and try to come to an understanding of just what the heck happened in that game, and when the boards shut down I had nowhere to turn. I found my frustrations compounded by the fact that I had nowhere to release them. DBR's most important function is to serve as a place where fans can come together and discuss Duke basketball, and in the hours after the game, when it was needed most, DBR failed those fans by closing shop. Anyway, that's my opinion.

My comment is not directed at you, but maybe the general feeling as to why DBR should have not shut down. In a previous post, I totally agreed with the shutdown. I think many of us Duke fans come to DBR to release frustrations, vent, etc. However, some of us come to DBR not only to post but to read other comments on the game. If a great majority of posts are of the negative vibe, it's no fun wading through all of that stuff. But if a poster comes on merely to "post" their frustrations, etc, without reading all of the other stuff, then I guess for them it makes sense to keep it open.

I'm an old crustie... and don't have any inclination to post on twitter, facebook, etc whatever is in my mind at that time. So that's probably why I favored the shutdown... kept the "spontaneous" posts off DBR, and made easier reading the next day. (2 cents...)

ricks68
03-29-2011, 03:22 AM
I fail to understand the lack of common sense empathy towards the mods here. :confused: Am I mistaken in concluding that the mods are basically saying that there was such an initial deluge of Duke hate thrust upon us on the board that they were overwhelmed and decided to spare all of us the insulting behavior by shutting the entire board down? I mean, we all know that players and their families do read the boards. Why should our players and their families also put up with this?

While I would have liked to have read the post-game analysis and had no idea why the board was shut down, after reading the explanation by Stray, I commend the decision to just shut it down. Remember, this is still a private enterprise, and this kind of related discussion is nothing new to us here, either.

ricks

Jderf
03-29-2011, 10:33 AM
I fail to understand the lack of common sense empathy towards the mods here. :confused: Am I mistaken in concluding that the mods are basically saying that there was such an initial deluge of Duke hate thrust upon us on the board that they were overwhelmed and decided to spare all of us the insulting behavior by shutting the entire board down? I mean, we all know that players and their families do read the boards. Why should our players and their families also put up with this?

While I would have liked to have read the post-game analysis and had no idea why the board was shut down, after reading the explanation by Stray, I commend the decision to just shut it down. Remember, this is still a private enterprise, and this kind of related discussion is nothing new to us here, either.

ricks

Enthusiastically agree. I don't even understand why there is still a debate. This is not a public forum. Nor are we paying customers. It is a private place, more or less the digital equivalent of someone letting a group of people into their living room every night to host a discussion. If, at any moment in time, the host says "not tonight," that is entirely their decision. Add in the fact that there were strong reasons for making that decision in the first place, and I just don't see how people can still be complaining.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
If I were a mod -- and thank the stars that I am not -- the last thing I would have wanted to do after that game is to wade through an onslaught of negativity. Especially from many who rarely post but suddenly appear after a loss. I would have turned my computer off, fixed a drink, and gone on to something else.

(Actually, that is what I did).

Believe it or not, there are ways to communicate that don't involve posting in chat rooms.

I can see why there are some who had legitimate desires to "discuss" the game, but I don't think there would have been much of a real discussion. Just a lot of haters overwhelming the legitimate discussion.

It's not like the board went down for a week, either. Next day, next play.

moonpie23
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
So you need not worry about there being a "next time."

nooo......don't go stray......stay......help rid the board of the anonymous comments...

COYS
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Just a general comment to say that I really love this board. It is inconceivable (I think this word means what I think it means) that an internet message board such as this would have such a high level of discussion considering that it is 1) open to anyone 2) run by fans of a school that is a magnet for anonymous hate comments anytime any article is posted online, anywhere 3) moderated by volunteers who do so only out of their commitment to maintaining such a great forum and their love for Duke basketball. Yet somehow the DBR mods pull it off. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend Thursday night issuing infractions and deleting ridiculous posts all night long after my favorite team just went out in heartbreaking fashion in the tournament. Heck, I shut off all of my Duke news updates on my phone and twitter just to avoid reading about the game.

So, basically, keep up the good work guys! Nothing's perfect, but as internet forums go, this is about as close as you can get.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2011, 02:43 PM
inconceivable (I think this word means what I think it means)

Beware the six-fingered poster!

MulletMan
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
If I were a mod -- and thank the stars that I am not -- the last thing I would have wanted to do after that game is to wade through an onslaught of negativity. Especially from many who rarely post but suddenly appear after a loss. I would have turned my computer off, fixed a drink, and gone on to something else.

(Actually, that is what I did).

Believe it or not, there are ways to communicate that don't involve posting in chat rooms.

I can see why there are some who had legitimate desires to "discuss" the game, but I don't think there would have been much of a real discussion. Just a lot of haters overwhelming the legitimate discussion.

It's not like the board went down for a week, either. Next day, next play.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

You had me at "fix a drink". Now we will be interweb soul-mates forever.

Seriously though, this pretty much sums it up. The last thing that anyone wants to do after a painful loss like that is take on the responsibility of keeping this board up to its normal standards on a night like that. All I wanted to do was get drunk enough to go to bed, and prepare for the horrible hangover at work the next day. And really, the flip side to the coin is that if we had kept the site open, and the few mods not traveling or at the game had been keeping track of what was going on in the post game thread(s), the leash for posting content would have been so short, and the infraction trigger finger so quick, that we might not have any posters left this week who weren't on holiday. So in the long run, one night of shutdown prevented a week of empty boards.

So how can you argue with that logic :p?

SuperTurkey
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh.

My.

Gosh.

You had me at "fix a drink". Now we will be interweb soul-mates forever.

Seriously though, this pretty much sums it up. The last thing that anyone wants to do after a painful loss like that is take on the responsibility of keeping this board up to its normal standards on a night like that. All I wanted to do was get drunk enough to go to bed, and prepare for the horrible hangover at work the next day. And really, the flip side to the coin is that if we had kept the site open, and the few mods not traveling or at the game had been keeping track of what was going on in the post game thread(s), the leash for posting content would have been so short, and the infraction trigger finger so quick, that we might not have any posters left this week who weren't on holiday. So in the long run, one night of shutdown prevented a week of empty boards.

So how can you argue with that logic :p?

Word life. What say we shut this thread down and all go on living our lives?

Keep up the good work, fam.

-jk
03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Word life. What say we shut this thread down and all go on living our lives?

Keep up the good work, fam.

Deal!

-jk