PDA

View Full Version : South Park creators make Broadway hit

JasonEvans
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Trey Parker and Matt Stone have written a Braodway musical called, "The Book of Mormon." Now, I try to get to a Broadway play every so often when I am in New York but it has been since the mid-80s and Phantom since I was willing to go out of my way to see something in a NY Theater.

That just changed. Variety just released their review (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944886.html?nid=2854) of Book of Mormon and it is stunningly good.

One might expect "The Book of Mormon" to show the influences of "Spamalot" and "Avenue Q." As it happens, this raucously funny new show surpasses both of those Tony winners, and handily so: Every song enhances the hilarity, expert staging heightens every gag, and the cast of fresh faces is blissfully good. Broadway hasn't seen anything like it since Mel Brooks came to town with "The Producers," only "Mormon" has better songs.

--Jason "ummm, that's a pretty good review" Evans

Duke: A Dynasty
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Trey Parker and Matt Stone have written a Braodway musical called, "The Book of Mormon." Now, I try to get to a Broadway play every so often when I am in New York but it has been since the mid-80s and Phantom since I was willing to go out of my way to see something in a NY Theater.

That just changed. Variety just released their review (http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944886.html?nid=2854) of Book of Mormon and it is stunningly good.

--Jason "ummm, that's a pretty good review" Evans

Wonder if it is modeled after the actual shows episode of The Book of Mormon. That is one of my favorite episodes and I would love to see it as a play.

On a side note, whould they not be taking some heat for hating on the Mormons?

throatybeard
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM

Solely because they hate on absolutely everyone.

Highlander
03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Wonder if it is modeled after the actual shows episode of The Book of Mormon. That is one of my favorite episodes and I would love to see it as a play.

They were interviewed on the Daily Show a few weeks back (linky (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-10-2011/trey-parker---matt-stone)). According to the interview, the play does not follow a South Park episode; it is a completely new and fresh story. And, unlike South Park, it apparently isn't something that tries to be offensive. Mormonism provides the context of the story, but it isn't the story ("satirizing while celebrating at the same time," according to Stewart). They've said that several of the jokes in the show are things that only Mormons would understand, and that they've been approached by many Mormons after the show to tell them how much the liked it.

I'd love to see it, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait until it hits the road in a few years. Spamalot was sold out for almost a solid year in NY, and if this one is better I expect the buzz to be similar.

SuperTurkey
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Solely because they hate on absolutely everyone.

And the reviews make it clear that Mormonism is not exactly 'hated on' in the show.

Bought my tickets for a late June showing today. Can't wait.

SuperTurkey
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd love to see it, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait until it hits the road in a few years. Spamalot was sold out for almost a solid year in NY, and if this one is better I expect the buzz to be similar.

Tickets aren't hard to find if you plan ahead a couple of months. I was able to find good tickets for a Saturday in June without issue.

Even when they sell out, there will be plenty on StubHub if you can stomach the markup.

SuperTurkey
03-28-2011, 04:53 PM
The NYTimes review (http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/theater/reviews/the-book-of-mormon-at-eugene-oneill-theater-review.html) is also a wild rave.

For those wondering about tickets, I put in an order over the weekend for 2 premium tickets in last June and got notification that the order was finalized this morning. The seats are 10th row, center, in the orchestra, so I'm quite happy with them.

I imagine that means there are plenty of tickets to be had if you're interested, but I agree they are probably selling out fast.