PDA

View Full Version : DBR Handy Pocket Reference suggestion thread

throatybeard
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Here is a link (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf) to the DBR Handy Pocket Reference, version 7.1. I figured someone would ask sooner or later, so why not link it now.

As when we were on the interim board system, let me emphasize that the editorial comment in the banner is not mine, and a couple typos have been introduced, but that basically this is the current authoritative text.

Richard Berg
02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Somebody make this a sticky.

throatybeard
02-26-2007, 11:46 PM
OK, my first act as a moderator is to abuse that power by sticky-ing the Handy Pocket Reference. :eek: If anyone has any serious objections to that, please PM me.

If I ever revise it again, I'll change the link. I do have some archived suggestions from people in January before the first board migration.

Someday, we can put "the board sucks" (in reference to the temporary board) in Extinct Topics. The new board is freaking awesome.

MulletMan
02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I love the Pocket Reference.

I love TB.

BluBones
02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Here is a link (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf) to the DBR Handy Pocket Reference, version 7.1. I figured someone would ask sooner or later, so why not link it now.

As when we were on the interim board system, let me emphasize that the editorial comment in the banner is not mine, and a couple typos have been introduced, but that basically this is the current authoritative text.

Dang. I was hoping this would be a guide to making this BBS system hum. Has anyone found anything like that?

throatybeard
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Dang. I was hoping this would be a guide to making this BBS system hum. Has anyone found anything like that?

Actually, when I see your avatar, my brain provides that Russian "hey" song you hear in the Warner Bros. cartoons.

And I love you too, Mullet.

Turtleboy
02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I love TB.Man, that's sick.

feldspar
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Looks like you're gonna need a new entry, Throaty.

2p. perhaps?

"The elbow was/was not intentional. GHend got what he deserved/got screwed."

throatybeard
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Ai yai yai.

Hopefully it goes in extinct topics in a few months. But I have a feeling people are going to be re-hashing this one for quite a while.

throatybeard
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll try to do a revision soon.

feldspar
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
<jeopardy music>

I'll try to do a revision soon.

</jeopardy music>

:)

throatybeard
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, I was thinking right at the beginning of next season. But I welcome input. Like I said, I wanna toss in an item about how the current PG isn't Hurley.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Like I said, I wanna toss in an item about how the current PG isn't Hurley.

Now why are you going and bringing a "Lost" character into this :rolleyes:

Just kidding! I think that is most appropriate.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I was curious so I Googled "handy pocket reference". The right answer came up as the 4th listing. When I refined the search and asked for "Throaty's handy pocket reference", it came up first!

Just thought you'ld like to know :)

throatybeard
08-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I was curious so I Googled "handy pocket reference". The right answer came up as the 4th listing. When I refined the search and asked for "Throaty's handy pocket reference", it came up first!

Just thought you'ld like to know :)

That does give me a little perverse pride. :eek:

-jk
08-29-2007, 02:20 PM
The discussion is being removed from the sticky area. Look for a sticky thread for the permanent link to Throatybeard's Handy Pocket Reference.

-jk

throatybeard
10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Please post suggestions for the HPR in this thread. Some folks gave me some good suggestions late last season, but of course I've forgotten since then.

I aim to do a big revision over TG.

From SilkyJ:

THROATY - I think we need a 6-M: We need to recruit some big time "bigs"

merry
10-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Should we move things that reference the SBBS and Coach G to the retired category?

DevilAlumna
10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
So, I'm an editor-type person, so always have comments on written docs. Please take with whatever-sized grain of NaCl you feel appropriate.

Missing subjects:
* New Forum questions:
- How do I: Post polls; quote; multi-quote; view only new messages

Additions:
Section 2 -
- John Edwards hates Duke. Don't vote for him.
- That nascar guy loves Duke.

Section 6 -
- Recruit {x} is awesome, he's going to get so much playing time, to be taken from [sophomore w/ "disappointing" freshman year.]

Section 7 -
- Can we just have an "FDA line", that mentions Asack, how much the field sucks, the stands suck, the fans suck, the admin sucks, and howmuch better life was in the 80's in general?
- The playcalling sucks; stallball is boring
- Chicken or egg - better fans/facilities will bring a better team, or a better team will bring better fans/facilities?

Section 8 -
-- All of the above, now on YouTube!!

Section 9, subsection H -- some obligatory reference to the Duke LAX case and don't rush to judgement.

Section 14
-- No, I didn't understand Greybeard's post either. :D
-- Why am I suddenly [insert status/name here], and what's with that number?

Section 15
-- I really liked Coach G, but she just didn't have the [insert characteristic] needed to win the big dance. I think Coach P does.
-- Coach G didn't love us enough, good riddance/Coach G got a bum deal and not enough respect from the Sports department.

Section 16 - what, no beer?!

Questions:
Section 6a - really? Maybe modified to "We need a [insert recruit type] who is [select height] (aka where have you gone, Mr. Hill/Boozer/Hurley?)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2007, 01:43 AM
So, I'm an editor-type person, so always have comments on written docs. Please take with whatever-sized grain of NaCl you feel appropriate.

Section 7 -
- The playcalling sucks; stallball is boring

Actually, stallball is covered by 1E:

1e) Krzyzewski’s management of the clock (AKA stall ball) will bite us/has bitten us in the %$#%$#%$#.
although quite honestly I don't think that adequately covers my hatred of the prevent defense/stallball at all.

I'm sure glad you didn't want him to change 9F. It is perfect just the way it is!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Quote:
1e) Krzyzewski’s management of the clock (AKA stall ball) will bite us/has bitten us in the %$#%$#%$#.

Isn't that interesting. The word %$#%$#%$#, used in the original 1e, was replaced with the %$#%$#%$# automatically by the filter upon posting.

DevilAlumna
11-01-2007, 02:21 AM

although quite honestly I don't think that adequately covers my hatred of the prevent defense/stallball at all.

I'm sure glad you didn't want him to change 9F. It is perfect just the way it is!

9F is infallible and immutable!!!

But Section 7 refers to Duke Football, and reading the threads this fall, it seems like folks are less than thrilled with run, run, pass, punt for every set of downs and/or too-tentative play-calling when Duke has a chance to get it done. I used "stallball" in homage to the 1E reference.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2007, 08:25 AM
9F is infallible and immutable!!!

But Section 7 refers to Duke Football, and reading the threads this fall, it seems like folks are less than thrilled with run, run, pass, punt for every set of downs and/or too-tentative play-calling when Duke has a chance to get it done. I used "stallball" in homage to the 1E reference.

While I don't agree with every play called this season (I go to the home games and listen or watch the away games when possible), they have not used the run, run, pass, punt offense very often. Now, the punt does come on 4th down too often, but that has been the result of lack of execution, not conservative play calling. The quick pass to the wideout and the end around, which have been very effective for us in the past, are being stopped for no gain or losses this year, almost like Bill Bellichic has stolen our play signals and the defense knows the play is coming (which all kidding aside may be happening - are we telegraphing our plays?). The trick plays haven't worked on a regular basis. And with a nonexistent running game, our best plays have been passes to Eron Riley deep and Jomar Wright short and medium.

That said, IF we ever have a late lead again this season, I sure hope we don't get conservative and run a stall ball offense and prevent defense - the results are too predictable and not good.

barjwr
02-14-2008, 01:20 PM
. . . can't seem to find a reference to Duke on the wikipedia page about the anthem . . .