PDA

View Full Version : Ten things I miss from last year’s tournament

timmy c
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
1) The NCAA tournament sans the heels. Wasn’t that refreshing?
2) Ali Farokhmanesh’s 3-pointer vs. Kansas. Great finishes to some close games but nothing compared to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwqEz50ipY
3) The Zoubek Beard
4) Kyle Singler shooting 4-6 from behind the arc verses Purdue.
5) Duke shooting 52% from the field against West Virginia’s 1-3-1 zone.
6) Jay Bilas calling games courtside.
7) Wisconsin folding like a cheap suit against Cornell. Where are you Ivy League?
8) The quote machine known as Omar Samhan. For example, “I’ve had tons of e-mails saying I can’t believe you won, you messed up my bracket. And that’s from my mom.”
9) The destruction of the myth that the Big East was the best conference. (Only two of the eight Big East teams made it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2010). Oh, wait, nevermind.
10) Watching games without the annoying Napa jingle running through my head.

cbnaylor
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Well the good news is that we still have a couple more weeks to make memories. Go Duke!

Faustus
03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Regarding #10, I for one am already tired of these clueless and evidently somewhat brain damaged angels falling from the sky. And hey, don't break that halo - that's celestial property there. Big mistake...

But I keep thinking Singler's next shot IS going to swish.

Lord Ash
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
1) Jon Scheyer
2) Jon Scheyer
3) Jon Scheyer
4) Jon Scheyer
5) Jon Scheyer
6) Jon Scheyer
7) Jon Scheyer
8) Jon Scheyer
9) Lance Thomas
10) Brian Zoubek

UrinalCake
03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I still remember Michigan State beating Maryland in the second round on a wild sequence that led to a buzzer beater. I'm sure Maryland fans were left wondering what might have been, considering that region totally opened up and MSU went all the way to the Final Four.

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOAMzThvNRQ&feature=related)

uh_no
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Great finishes to some close games but nothing compared to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwqEz50ipY

Aren't you forgetting something????

timmy c
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
1) Jon Scheyer
2) Jon Scheyer
3) Jon Scheyer
4) Jon Scheyer
5) Jon Scheyer
6) Jon Scheyer
7) Jon Scheyer
8) Jon Scheyer
9) Lance Thomas
10) Brian Zoubek

I wouldn't mind hearing Scheyer's on Fire one more time!

uh_no
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
1) Jon Scheyer
2) Jon Scheyer
3) Jon Scheyer
4) Jon Scheyer
5) Jon Scheyer
6) Jon Scheyer
7) Jon Scheyer
8) Jon Scheyer
9) Lance Thomas
10) Brian Zoubek

jordan davidson??? steve johnson????

timmy c
03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Aren't you forgetting something????

I was thinking specifically about pre-final four games.

uh_no
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I was thinking specifically about pre-final four games.

gotta be clear about that one....i'm pretty sure we all know that the greatest tournament endings of all time happened in 1991 and the 2010 finals.

dukebluelemur
03-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Still, you must admit that that NAPA jingle is a far far cry from the mind-numbing awfulness that was Clay Henry.

Tjenkins
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
timmy c

I miss hearing Dick Enberg's voice doing play-by-play with Bilas. Yes, he's getting older and occasionally got players' names wrong, but he always made every CBB game he called seem important, whether the game was played in March or December.

Another reason I'll miss him is simple nostalgia. The Enberg-McGuire-Packer booth was the best announcing team of all time. One is dead, one is "retired"(and had been annoying for many years before going away), Enberg's voice was a reminder of tournament games I watched in the 70s-early 80s that helped make it the best sporting event of the year.

Here's highlights from the last game he called with Bilas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFxQZOKlIU

throatybeard
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
11) Erin Andrews being on Dancing with the Stars in between rounds. This is the first and last time I have ever watched reality TV of any sort.

NovaScotian
03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
jordan davidson??? steve johnson????

jordan taking and hitting that completely unnecessary three in the last minute against wvu was just classic davidson.

kkwst2
03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
gotta be clear about that one....i'm pretty sure we all know that the greatest tournament endings of all time happened in 1991 and the 2010 finals.

For 1991, I presume you mean the semifinals. I recall the feeling of the final was pretty anticlimactic after the UNLV win. Certainly not the greatest ever, even if you're a Duke fan. Everyone (media) presumed Duke would win, which made me very nervous.

I was class of 92, and my memory of the regional final that year is much greater, I still think that was the greatest moment. Last year was exciting, but I think last second made baskets, especially clutch non-heaves like Laettner's always stick out more to me. It has almost become a cliche, but that doesn't make it less great.

uh_no
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
For 1991, I presume you mean the semifinals. I recall the feeling of the final was pretty anticlimactic after the UNLV win. Certainly not the greatest ever, even if you're a Duke fan. Everyone (media) presumed Duke would win, which made me very nervous.

I was class of 92, and my memory of the regional final that year is much greater, I still think that was the greatest moment. Last year was exciting, but I think last second made baskets, especially clutch non-heaves like Laettner's always stick out more to me. It has almost become a cliche, but that doesn't make it less great.

lol....i meant 1992 :P you can't blame me...i was only 3 and a hater back then

wtm001
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
2) Ali Farokhmanesh’s 3-pointer vs. Kansas. Great finishes to some close games but nothing compared to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwqEz50ipY
3) The Zoubek Beard
7) Wisconsin folding like a cheap suit against Cornell. Where are you Ivy League?
8) The quote machine known as Omar Samhan. For example, “I’ve had tons of e-mails saying I can’t believe you won, you messed up my bracket. And that’s from my mom.”
9) The destruction of the myth that the Big East was the best conference. (Only two of the eight Big East teams made it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2010). Oh, wait, nevermind.

Ahhh, Number 10 is so true.

DevilWearsPrada
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I totally miss the chant "Scheyer's on Fire", but I really miss

ZOOOOOOUUUUUUUU

anon
03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
lol....i meant 1992 :P you can't blame me...i was only 3 and a hater back then

Yes, we can. :)

Orange&BlackSheep
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
3) The Zoubek Beard

Going down to Kentucky on a last second shot is not exactly not showing up ...

hurleyfor3
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd take having every commercial be the Napa commercial in exchange for Washington beating unc.

wtm001
03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd take having every commercial be the Napa commercial in exchange for Washington beating unc.

Agreed.

78Devil
03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
What I miss about last year's tournament is the feeling that we were -- despite seeding -- underdogs and that we could only overachieve. This was a reflection on some of the prior years. That feelilng is a luxury we don't have this year, and I find that it makes watching games more tense. Knowing how that feeling creeps in, I really admire the coaches and kids who play to win, rather than playing "not to lose". Because the latter would be really easy to do.

But one thing both years have in common is great kids who represent the University well. What else can we ask for?

skylar
03-23-2011, 09:57 PM
What I miss about last year's tournament is the feeling that we were -- despite seeding -- underdogs and that we could only overachieve. This was a reflection on some of the prior years. That feelilng is a luxury we don't have this year, and I find that it makes watching games more tense. Knowing how that feeling creeps in, I really admire the coaches and kids who play to win, rather than playing "not to lose". Because the latter would be really easy to do.

But one thing both years have in common is great kids who represent the University well. What else can we ask for?

I absolutely agree. As the defending champions, we have a huge target on our backs. Every time we advanced last year, we did so exceeding everyone's expectations. There was much less pressure and we could really savor each win. Now when we win it's as if it's less of an accomplishment to a certain extent because it's what a number one seed/defending champ is supposed to bring to the table.

DukieInKansas
03-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I absolutely agree. As the defending champions, we have a huge target on our backs. Every time we advanced last year, we did so exceeding everyone's expectations. There was much less pressure and we could really savor each win. Now when we win it's as if it's less of an accomplishment to a certain extent because it's what a number one seed/defending champ is supposed to bring to the table.

I miss having the "easiest" bracket and being expected to lose each game.

I never figured that one out last year.

timmy c
03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
11) I miss rooting for Duke In Indy.

uh_no
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
11) I miss rooting for Duke In Indy.

WEll, you could have done that this year, but you would have been the only one....seeing as the final four would have been in texas :P

I think a better one is

11) Duke Winning.

ThePublisher
03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Still being in the tournament and unc not.