PDA

View Full Version : video of Jordan talking to UNC and Duke players.

duke4ever19
03-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Thought his comment about Duke whooping up on UNC was nice :)

Seems to be kind to all the our guys.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/9296774/#/vid9296774

Mods, feel free to take this down if already posted.

Bluedevil114
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
It looks like Coach K and Jordan are speaking about the improvement of Gerald Henderson and what he would still like to see from him.

J4Kop99
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Very cool. I would have loved to hear what he and Coach K were talking about though.

duke4ever19
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Very cool. I would have loved to hear what he and Coach K were talking about though.

Me too. He's very friendly to the Duke staff which should mildly frustrate and bewilder some tar heel fans on the inside carolina board.

weezie
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Very cute to see the teams smiling like little kids. I'm not the biggest Jordan fan in the world but they sure look delighted and he comes across as genuinely pleased to see them.
It's actually kind of sweet!

kong123
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Me too. He's very friendly to the Duke staff which should mildly frustrate and bewilder some tar heel fans on the inside carolina board.

nope, I think everyone is interested to see Jordon's interaction with the UNC players and the Duke players. Everyone knows where his loyalties lie.

I think it was very cool to see the UNC guys feel comfortable enough to talk smack with Jordan.

SupaDave
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I think it was very cool to see the UNC guys feel comfortable enough to talk smack with Jordan.

MJ leaves you little choice...

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Michael tells the UNC players that if they make the Final Four he'll get them anything they want.

Violation anyone? :D

Bluedevil114
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Michael tells the UNC players that if they make the Final Four he'll get them anything they want.

Cash left in an unidentified warehouse in Cary, NC.

Pearl and Calipari usually say that before they are wearing a college uniform.

duke4ever19
03-21-2011, 10:20 PM

hmmmm. I'm not sure if I'd rather them bounced in the sweet 16 (or to Ohio St.) or make the Final Four only to vacate it later because they took money from "his airness" :)

Right.... like the latter would ever happen. The NCAA would think more than twice before going there.

verga
03-21-2011, 10:47 PM
i've never got the deal with michael jordan, a once great player but that was years ago. I guess you could say he's a mtv generation athlete he has been on tv so much that people start assuming he's a good guy or something, he is not. what he is , is an arrogant opinionated ex jock who loves himself more than anyone else. If you want to see a great ex player, try Jabbar (the best who ever put on the shoes) or Bird or Magic, they unlike jordan had players who played with them that still like them, jordan's acceptance speech for the hof should tell you exactly what kind of guy he is.

Zeb
03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
The older (and heavier) he gets, the more Jordan looks like the dad from Good Times.

NovaScotian
03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
MJ leaves you little choice...

yes, michael jordan often brings out the worst in people. for instance, for the entirety of that clip i was frothing at the mouth and shouting unintelligibly at my screen.

Cameron
03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I know he can do anything better than you, but I think Mike might be trying too hard to be like Travis Pastrana. He really needs to find a new hobby.

This is what I think of when watching MJ reach for his helmet in that video:

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/drill-powered-mini-bike.jpg

lumberbaron
03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
i've never got the deal with michael jordan, a once great player but that was years ago. I guess you could say he's a mtv generation athlete he has been on tv so much that people start assuming he's a good guy or something, he is not. what he is , is an arrogant opinionated ex jock who loves himself more than anyone else. If you want to see a great ex player, try Jabbar (the best who ever put on the shoes) or Bird or Magic, they unlike jordan had players who played with them that still like them, jordan's acceptance speech for the hof should tell you exactly what kind of guy he is.

I went to Duke and hate North Carolina, but I was also born and raised in Chicago and between 1984-1999 which was Michael Jordan's career with the Bulls I was between 7 and 22. I grew up with Michael Jordan. I love Michael Jordan and I guarantee that any kid that was my age during that time in Chicago, much less most of the world, loved Michael Jordan.

You didn't make plans on nights that the Bulls played because Michael Jordan might do something you'd never see again that night. He was incredible. To quote Larry Bird at the beginning of Michael Jordan's Come Fly with me, "He is God in basketball shoes." And that's coming from a guy that was so competitive that it's rumored he never lost the loose ball drill where they roll the ball onto the court and pick 2 players to get it because Larry was willing to punch you in the face for the ball. Kareem as good as Michael? That's laughable. Kareem is at best 3rd at his position. Seriously, I reject your argument on the grounds that it is ridiculous. C'mon bro. Get real.

The whole world wanted to be like Mike. They made a commercial about it and I'll bet you most of the people on this board could still sing that song.

I don't care how many times he cheated on his wife, how much he lost gambling, or what you thought of his hall of fame speech (which I thought was an interesting insight into what makes the most competitive man in sports tick). People like to forget that before some of his flaws got exposed he was well known for his charity work and was the face of McDonalds but also the Ronald McDonald House charities. He still does a lot of good.

My first ever hero was Walter Payton. My second was Michael Jordan. I'm sorry, take all the shots at Cryolina you want, I'll happily join you, but I will always until the day I die defend Michael Jordan.

He is not a "once great player." He is in fact the best player in any sport that matters (sorry Gretzky) of my generation.

ajgoodfella7
03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
I went to Duke and hate North Carolina, but I was also born and raised in Chicago and between 1984-1999 which was Michael Jordan's career with the Bulls I was between 7 and 22. I grew up with Michael Jordan. I love Michael Jordan and I guarantee that any kid that was my age during that time in Chicago, much less most of the world, loved Michael Jordan.

You didn't make plans on nights that the Bulls played because Michael Jordan might do something you'd never see again that night. He was incredible. To quote Larry Bird at the beginning of Michael Jordan's Come Fly with me, "He is God in basketball shoes." And that's coming from a guy that was so competitive that it's rumored he never lost the loose ball drill where they roll the ball onto the court and pick 2 players to get it because Larry was willing to punch you in the face for the ball. Kareem as good as Michael? That's laughable. Kareem is at best 3rd at his position. Seriously, I reject your argument on the grounds that it is ridiculous. C'mon bro. Get real.

The whole world wanted to be like Mike. They made a commercial about it and I'll bet you most of the people on this board could still sing that song.

I don't care how many times he cheated on his wife, how much he lost gambling, or what you thought of his hall of fame speech (which I thought was an interesting insight into what makes the most competitive man in sports tick). People like to forget that before some of his flaws got exposed he was well known for his charity work and was the face of McDonalds but also the Ronald McDonald House charities. He still does a lot of good.

My first ever hero was Walter Payton. My second was Michael Jordan. I'm sorry, take all the shots at Cryolina you want, I'll happily join you, but I will always until the day I die defend Michael Jordan.

He is not a "once great player." He is in fact the best player in any sport that matters (sorry Gretzky) of my generation.

I agree with your sentiments. I was not born when MJ was playing for UNC so I have no feelings toward him one way or the other in that regard. But Michael Jordan is, without a doubt, the greatest basketball player to ever play the game. I am not going to try to judge him as a man, because quite frankly, I don't think that belongs in the same discussion. And furthermore, I really don't care about his personal life anyway. But one thing I know for sure is that professional basketball would not be where it is today without Michael Jordan.

Now if we are comparing the college careers of Jordan versus Alcindor, well then that is a completely different story.

DukieTiger
03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
As a 90s baby, I couldn't help but smile when watching those guys meet MJ. Try as I might to feel disdain for both MJ and the UNC guys, when I see "his airness" I get taken back to the school-yard in my Jordan VIII's and how all of us used to pretend we were the Chicago Bulls back in the day. MJ is an icon and it's just cool to me to think that these kids get to meet him. It takes me back to my childhood.

kong123
03-22-2011, 08:20 AM

it is widely known that Jabbar is a big jerk.

as far as MJ telling the guys they can have anything they want, they wear the Jordan Brand...so he can get them "anything" they want. it's part of the perk of wearing his brand.

Rudy
03-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Are you insane? You need to read Bill Simmons' book, and not just because of your blind spot on Jordan. Jordan's no paragon of virtue but he is a paragon of basketball. Had a team of nuclear scientists or church pastors walked by Jordan, no one would have lingered to chat and no one would have turned on their video camera. These were groups of young basketball players.

devildeac
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Care to put a wager on that?

(think about it first:rolleyes:;))

weezie
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
The older (and heavier) he gets, the more Jordan looks like the dad from Good Times.

:D:D:D Nailed it!

Spret42
03-22-2011, 09:28 AM
it is widely known that Jabbar is a big jerk.

I related that to my father once, he is the same age as Jabbar and grew up near him, in Harlem although didn't know him. (They both grew up in apt buildings within 10 blocks of each other.)

My fathers answer: "You try being a 7'-2", black and a teenager in America in 1967. It affects the rest of your life." Kareem isn't a jerk, he is just closed off and a bit protective. Wooden told the story of walking through an airport with an 18 year old Alcindor and being disturbed at how people looked at the young man like he was an alien, gasping, pointing and muttering.

Could he have been a nicer guy? Probably. He lived an outlier life and it produced a bit of an outlier personality. And give the guy a break, his off-season job must have been brutal on his knees. There's no room in those cockpits. :D

As for Jordan - cmon - he is Micheal friggin Jordan. Hate UNC all you want and don't like Jordan's personality (I certainly don't but also recognize that Magic and Bird were a-holes to their teammates too, the stories are there as well) - but on the floor, under the harshest lights, against the best players in the world - he performed at a level unseen before or since. Like Simmons said in the book, just look at his playoff numbers. He is far more than an ex-jock.

77devil
03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Are you insane? You need to read Bill Simmons' book, and not just because of your blind spot on Jordan. Jordan's no paragon of virtue but he is a paragon of basketball. Had a team of nuclear scientists or church pastors walked by Jordan, no one would have lingered to chat and no one would have turned on their video camera. These were groups of young basketball players.

Why would anyone bother to waste their time reading a book by Bill Simmons?

UrinalCake
03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Jordan is probably still one of the richest men in the world. Can't he afford a pair of jeans without holes in them?

Spret42
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Why would anyone bother to waste their time reading a book by Bill Simmons?

I have. It has flaws when it gets too deep into silly pop culture stuff, but it is also a really well researched book and is a good history of the game. I learned a lot reading it. Simmons has read everything under the sun regarding the NBA and it shows.

His story of how his father bought the season tickets and kept renewing them every year in the mid 70's, eventually resulting Simmons watching the best basketball the world has ever seen for 10 consecutive years, certainly explains his obsession with the game.

epoulsen
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't want this thread to break out into an argument over whether MJ was or wasn't the greatest player of all time, but I don't think that he is hands down, beyond reasonable doubt THE best player of all time. Rather he is arguably the best player of all time. Both Magic and Chamberlain were pretty good, so good that one might be able to make an argument that they are the best players of all time. If we were talking about the most recognized athlete in the world then I'd say MJ all the way. I just don't think it's fair to say he's the greatest given how much there is to consider when handing out that title. Just my two cents, feel free to rip me a new one.

wilson
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Jordan is probably still one of the richest men in the world. Can't he afford a pair of jeans without holes in them?He's just being cool...the kids these days pay extra for jeans with holes in them.

Poincaré
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I came here to be disappointed by Duke fans slobbering all over Jordan.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that a number of us are not acolytes in his cult of personality. The posts were far more pro-Jordan just a few years back (perhaps the halo had not yet worn off back then).

Remember that he is a Tar Hole, an enemy. That is all you need to know. Heck, even if he were a saint, we might be inclined to play his accomplishments down in all forums of conversation (online or offline) in order to decrease the recruiting advantage it may provide the forces of evil. Seriously, every time you speak well of Jordan, you are helping the Tar Holes win. Are you happy now, Jordan lovers?

Also, how can anyone make statements like "Jordan was clearly the best player ever to play the game?" Really? How can we be sure of a statement so full of absolutes? Is it really that easy to say that Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell were inferior to Jordan? How can one make comparisons of players so easily across different eras? One can reasonably say that Jordan was one of the best, but some posters have gone far beyond that.

Let us not forget that Jordan regularly got more calls than D-Wade in the 2006 Finals.

dukebluesincebirth
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I came here to be disappointed by Duke fans slobbering all over Jordan.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that a number of us are not acolytes in his cult of personality. The posts were far more pro-Jordan just a few years back (perhaps the halo had not yet worn off back then).

Remember that he is a Tar Hole, an enemy. That is all you need to know. Heck, even if he were a saint, we might be inclined to play his accomplishments down in all forums of conversation (online or offline) in order to decrease the recruiting advantage it may provide the forces of evil. Seriously, every time you speak well of Jordan, you are helping the Tar Holes win. Are you happy now, Jordan lovers?

Also, how can anyone make statements like "Jordan was clearly the best player ever to play the game?" Really? How can we be sure of a statement so full of absolutes? Is it really that easy to say that Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell were inferior to Jordan? How can one make comparisons of players so easily across different eras? One can reasonably say that Jordan was one of the best, but some posters have gone far beyond that.

Let us not forget that Jordan regularly got more calls than D-Wade in the 2006 Finals.

More calls than D-Wade is an understatement. Jordan got more calls than anyone in the history of the NBA. I would like to find out how many times he was called for traveling over the course of his career.

Indoor66
03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
More calls than D-Wade is an understatement. Jordan got more calls than anyone in the history of the NBA. I would like to find out how many times he was called for traveling over the course of his career.

I think I saw both of them.