PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie on the Dan Patrick Show, after all

Farn
03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Kyrie will be on the DP Show tomorrow.

No time given yet but the show airs from 9am to noon eastern on Fox Radio stations as well as many Fox Sports TV stations, Comcast Sports, MSG+, and Directv Channel 239.

diablesseblu
03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Kyrie will be on with Dan Patrick in the 10:00 hour.

Bluedog
03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Dan Patrick just said Kyrie couldn't make it due to class and then treatment on his toe (I thought treatment was done?). Will most likely he on the show tomorrow.

uh_no
03-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Dan Patrick just said Kyrie couldn't make it due to class and then treatment on his toe (I thought treatment was done?). Will most likely he on the show tomorrow.

what the heck? kid going to class instead of being on tv? kid needs to get his priorities straight

moonpie23
03-22-2011, 10:59 AM
what the heck? kid going to class instead of being on tv? kid needs to get his priorities straight

really ....what's up with the youth of today?? totally misplaced priorities...

going to class to make sure he's current in his studies instead of parrying dan patrick's implied humor?

seriously...

Class of '94
03-22-2011, 12:10 PM

I think he would continue to get treatment on his toe through the end of the tournament as more of a proactive/preventitive approach to maintaining Kyrie's health as opposed to being reactive or indicicating that something is wrong with his toe.

dcdevil2009
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM

I'm sure he could get Calipari to fill in, he's got no class.

DevilWearsPrada
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm sure he could get Calipari to fill in, he's got no class.

That is so funny! lol rofl

Kyrie has alot of class! It was so wonderful to see him return in the rotation at Charlotte. He received a standing ovation several times. Kyrie might be a little rusty, but even rusty, he is better than most guards.

The continued rehab on the toe and foot will keep him more mobile. And produce a healthier Kyrie! Love see #1 on the court!

BluePanda
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
To begin, I want to mention I don't want to start another speculation string.

I just want to join the others in saying how commendable it is for Kyrie to take his studies seriously when this might be his last semester at Duke. I know I've personally missed class for much lesser reasons than appearing on a national radio show, so it is great to see him make the most of his time here.

With that said, I (childishly) hope this is a preamble to Kyrie staying for his degree!

uh_no
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
To begin, I want to mention I don't want to start another speculation string.

I just want to join the others in saying how commendable it is for Kyrie to take his studies seriously when this might be his last semester at Duke. I know I've personally missed class for much lesser reasons than appearing on a national radio show, so it is great to see him make the most of his time here.

With that said, I (childishly) hope this is a preamble to Kyrie staying for his degree!

AS commendable as it is, it is not an option to not take his studies seriously. Whether he is here next semester or not, he WILL pass his classes this semester.

WHen you're missing classes 3 days a week for months, its not really acceptable to miss extra classes for a tv interview i would guess)

BlueHeaven
03-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I sat in my car in the parking garage at work to listen, but they were getting on the plane to Anaheim. I'm not sure how they expect me to work during March.

-bdbd
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
AS commendable as it is, it is not an option to not take his studies seriously. Whether he is here next semester or not, he WILL pass his classes this semester.

WHen you're missing classes 3 days a week for months, its not really acceptable to miss extra classes for a tv interview i would guess)

That is realy nice to see in an obvious future NBA star, top draft pick. I recall reading some accounts of last-year's KY Freshmen - or at least some of them - essentially not going to class for the Winter-Spring semester. IOW, why bother - they all already knew they were going pro in a few months? Sad. :(

Good job Kyrie. Those actions speak louder than any words would anyway. :)

LSanders
03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Laettner's on tomorrow (Wed.)!!

BluDvlsN1
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm watching the DP show, Laettner was just on!
They're reporting that Kyrie will be on in the last hour!
FYI!

UrinalCake
03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
For those who want to listen online (http://radiotime.com/program/p_10358/The_Dan_Patrick_Show.aspx). Just announced he'll be coming on in 15 minutes (around 11:25 EST).

Looks like they also keep archives of past shows starting the following day.

SuperTurkey
03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Good interview. He spent the last couple minutes dodging the questions about whether he's going pro.

AlaskanAssassin
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Hope Coach K gives him a cake with his name in bold letters :)

Krzyzewskiville
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
He's deff going pro...

MCFinARL
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
He's deff going pro...

Well, he probably is--but either way, he doesn't need to decide now, so why should he? He is a smart kid and will want to know as much as he can about things like the likelihood of a lockout, etc., before making an irrevocable commitment. And if there is a chance he would come back, how far Duke advances this year might be a factor as well.

And, really, interviews aside, I hope Kyrie isn't thinking about anything basketball-related right now except tomorrow's game. :)

Bluedog
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
And if there is a chance he would come back, how far Duke advances this year might be a factor as well.

DP asked him that - if winning a championship this year makes it easier to go pro, and Kyrie basically said "no, it wouldn't really affect much." Although I'll admit I was only half-listening. DP also was like "You're going to be a top 5 pick! Don't you read the mock drafts? Hard to pass that up...." Okay interview but I wish DP focused more on the team's NCAA run and current state, rather than Kyrie's potential birthday presents, imitations of Coach K, his toe situation again, and his pro prospects.

theAlaskanBear
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
DP asked him that - if winning a championship this year makes it easier to go pro, and Kyrie basically said "no, it wouldn't really affect much." Although I'll admit I was only half-listening. DP also was like "You're going to be a top 5 pick! Don't you read the mock drafts? Hard to pass that up...." Okay interview but I wish DP focused more on the team's NCAA run and current state, rather than Kyrie's potential birthday presents, imitations of Coach K, his toe situation again, and his pro prospects.

Ahh, so you are asking him to do actual journalism? /laugh. These radio shows are all rumor, smoozing, and gossip. Very little actual news or "reporting".

UrinalCake
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Kyrie handled himself incredibly well. For an 18 year-old kid to be that well-spoken is darn impressive. DP often tried to goad him into making fun of Coach K, commenting on leaving, etc. but he wouldn't take the bait. I always feel like DP secretly hates Duke and takes it out in very passive-aggressive ways whenever he interviews Coach K or a Duke player. Kyrie has done a ton of interviews over the past week, and nobody else has been insensitive enough to ask about the NBA, much less repeat the question five times when it is clear he is not going to give a definitive answer. Kudos to Kyrie for taking the high road.

BluDvlsN1
03-23-2011, 12:33 PM
paraphrasing, you'll get the idea!

DP to KI ."it's your birthday today", yes it is, does Coach K know it's your bday, yes he knows, what did he get you ?, now nothing,what do you want?, a big cake, 19 candles, name in bold letters and a basketbal!

DP, Who does the best impersonation of Coach K ?, KI, we all have one laughing, (wouldn't do it)

DP, Regarding injury on 12/4. KI, at 1st couldnt feel, was a miracle that he was able to go back in,toe swelled up in locker room!!!

DP,Regarding the Twitter criticism on protecting the NBA draft status... KI,said was really tough and the people just didn't know how serious the injury was!

DP on injury,Do you fear any risk of reinjury to toe, KI, has confidence in toe, no fear of injury, just wants to contribute to the team!

DP question about his role be the same with ball in hands? KI, Nolan has to have the ball in his hands as during the season, I will adjust to Nolan and team, (is okay with that! I've never been a selfish player, if anything I will make it easier for Nolan to play whenever he needs to get off the ball, Nolan is a great player and needs to do what he has be oing the whole entire season! It's never difficult for me, I'm just trying to intergrate myself in the system that Coach K has!!

DP question on after recruited by K,how long before he got angry? KI, laughing, during the first early morning 3 hour practices, laughing , he yells at everyone, in games, it's in the face and the look!

DP question What's the reason not to come back for sophmore year?, KI, no reason, love everything about Duke, DP, will you come back ?,KI, not sure! right now just focusing on the tournement! DP question, but if your a top 5 pick it would be tough to pass up?,Ki, I will have to look at everything, I'll sit down with the coaching staff and my family, right now i'm just focusing on the tournament!,DP< I know that but you know your going to be a top 5 pick?, KI.laughing yea, I guess, will discuss it after the season! DP, if you win a title is it easier to leave?, KI, I'm not sure, when we get to that point we'll talk about it!! DP, would you rather be rehabbing your toe or answering these questions?, KI,laughing, answering these questions!!

after interview and signing off with Paulie(the show producer), Paulie asked KI , lot's of fun, KI said laughing , yeah it is....

DP and his staff opinion....He handled it great!!

Thats my opinion also, for what it's worth>>

I hope this post comes out okay, I think I'm doing it correctly, it;s FYI to help with any curiosity...

Let's go Duke!!

CharlestonDevil
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
He's deff going pro...

Did KI make a particular comment today that makes you think that? Or is that just your opinion based on his obvious talent level?

I ahve honestly never seen a kid love being at Duke so much, and that always makes me think there is a chance he would want to stay.

roywhite
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Kyrie handled himself incredibly well. For an 18 year-old kid to be that well-spoken is darn impressive. DP often tried to goad him into making fun of Coach K, commenting on leaving, etc. but he wouldn't take the bait. I always feel like DP secretly hates Duke and takes it out in very passive-aggressive ways whenever he interviews Coach K or a Duke player. Kyrie has done a ton of interviews over the past week, and nobody else has been insensitive enough to ask about the NBA, much less repeat the question five times when it is clear he is not going to give a definitive answer. Kudos to Kyrie for taking the high road.

Thanks for the recap.

By the way, Kyrie turns 19 today!
(I see that was noted above and by DP, too)

Happy Birthday, Kyrie!
How about a Final Four trip to celebrate?

Chitowndevil
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
He's deff going pro...

I can't help thinking that folks who make comments like this don't remember what it was like to be 18 (now 19!!) years old. While it's very possible Kyrie is leaning one way or the other, I genuinely believe he has not made up his mind. This is likely the biggest decision of his life and he has a lot of other things to think about. Like discussions about "do conference tournaments matter", I think with NBA draft discussions the fans' perspective is very different: we forget that these are kids who are dealing with classes, social life, and most importantly playing with their teammates on the biggest stage of their careers so far. I can definitely say at 18 years old, the most important thing to me 99% of the time was what was happening right now. If I were Kyrie's family I'd want him to revel in this experience rather than spending time brooding about his future.

In other words, though I do think Kyrie will ultimately turn pro, trying to read anything about that decision into interview responses like these is kind of silly.

hurley1
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I can't help thinking that folks who make comments like this don't remember what it was like to be 18 (now 19!!) years old. While it's very possible Kyrie is leaning one way or the other, I genuinely believe he has not made up his mind. This is likely the biggest decision of his life and he has a lot of other things to think about. Like discussions about "do conference tournaments matter", I think with NBA draft discussions the fans' perspective is very different: we forget that these are kids who are dealing with classes, social life, and most importantly playing with their teammates on the biggest stage of their careers so far. I can definitely say at 18 years old, the most important thing to me 99% of the time was what was happening right now. If I were Kyrie's family I'd want him to revel in this experience rather than spending time brooding about his future.

In other words, though I do think Kyrie will ultimately turn pro, trying to read anything about that decision into interview responses like these is kind of silly.

If I was Kyrie's dad, I would encourage him to stay at Duke until he graduates and then turn pro.........I would have him talk to Grant Hill and some of the others who finished before they left.........you only get to be young once........be a kid as long as you can.........

UrinalCake
03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
If I was Kyrie's dad, I would encourage him to stay at Duke until he graduates and then turn pro

Umm, what color is the sky in your world? :) Seriously though, the days of players this good staying for four years are behind us. It just doesn't happen. His stock would drop even if he absolutely tore it up for four years. His NBA clock would have already started ticking and time would be wasted. And honestly it would in some ways be a negative for Duke from a recruiting standpoint to have a sure-fire top-5 pick stick around that long.

We should be considered fortunate if he stays another year.

ACCBBallFan
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.danpatrick.com/dan-patrick-video/?systemId=e7f19569-2dc1-4658-bfe4-08f43047b765&playerContextId=c18c75a9-66eb-4aa0-b269-462d995d7418

AsiaMinor
03-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Kyrie did say the other day that the NCAA Tourney was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity - which leads me to believe he'll go pro. Of course I'd rather he'd stay and get his education, in the long run it's priceless.......but if we have him only for these next games here's hoping he enjoys it.

cspan37421
03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
if he has time and wants to, I'm sure he could eventually finish his degree at Duke during NBA off-seasons, or apply his Duke credits elsewhere if he prefers.