PDA

View Full Version : Norman Chad has a little fun with Duke

Deladev
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
If you don't know who Norman Chad is, he is a Sports Reporter for the Washington Post. Basically his column of today is a series of silly and far-fetched questions.

Our question is this----

If a Duke player falls in the forest and there is no official there, is it still a charge ?

Deladev for DUKEl

killerleft
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
If you don't know who Norman Chad is, he is a Sports Reporter for the Washington Post. Basically his column of today is a series of silly and far-fetched questions.

Our question is this----

If a Duke player falls in the forest and there is no official there, is it still a charge ?

Deladev for DUKEl

Yes, Norm, and may it always be true!:)

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Our question is this----

Deladev for DUKEl
May we have a link, please?

sagegrouse
03-21-2011, 01:02 PM
May we have a link, please?

Scroll to the bottom (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/more-facts-about-sports-television/2011/03/20/AB2JX92_story.html). It's (supposedly) a reader's question.

Chad, who has lived out west for years, writes the Couch Slouch column, which is syndicated. A U. of Md. graduate, Norman once wrote: 'No, I didn't get an education. I went to Maryland. All I got were parking tickets."

sagegrouse

kong123
03-21-2011, 01:22 PM
that is very funny

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM
If Norm Chad wrote an article, and no one read it,

(oh wait, that's already happening. My bad).

MCFinARL
03-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Y'know, the guy has to live every day of his life being a Maryland grad. Perhaps we should let him enjoy his little joke.....

gam7
03-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Scroll to the bottom (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/more-facts-about-sports-television/2011/03/20/AB2JX92_story.html). It's (supposedly) a reader's question.

Chad, who has lived out west for years, writes the Couch Slouch column, which is syndicated. A U. of Md. graduate, Norman once wrote: 'No, I didn't get an education. I went to Maryland. All I got were parking tickets."

Same was true of Duane Simpkins. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-02-22/sports/1996053049_1_parking-fines-simpkins-athletic-department

1 24 90
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I think Stu Douglass used this little trick quite well against Kyrie in the second half yesterday.

Cameron
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Is this the guy who plays poker?

If not, I think I've lost interest.

Cameron
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Is this the guy who plays poker?

If not, I think I've lost interest.

Well, upon further investigation, it is. Laughing at myself. #failatbeingclever

You win some, you lose some.

SmartDevil
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Chad's column catch phrase in response to witty reader input: "Pay the man, Shirley!"

(Shirley is presumbably his assistant or one of the many ex-wives Chad writes about and is "responsible" for rewarding the submitter with a joke bounty of something like $1.35 for a usable quip in the form of a question.)

BTW, as a Maryland grad, his not infrquent comments about U-Md are always humorous and sharply critical. Sage has cited one repeated one above.

kirchhausen
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I believe the "Pay the man Shirley" line is an homage to Shirley Povich, longtime sports editor of the Washington Post, the local fishwrap where Chad got his start after graduating from Maryland.

Chad's column catch phrase in response to witty reader input: "Pay the man, Shirley!"

(Shirley is presumbably his assistant or one of the many ex-wives Chad writes about and is "responsible" for rewarding the submitter with a joke bounty of something like $1.35 for a usable quip in the form of a question.)

BTW, as a Maryland grad, his not infrquent comments about U-Md are always humorous and sharply critical. Sage has cited one repeated one above.

Utley
03-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I think you have to have a team in A tournament to take a shot at another school!

rasputin
03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I believe the "Pay the man Shirley" line is an homage to Shirley Povich, longtime sports editor of the Washington Post, the local fishwrap where Chad got his start after graduating from Maryland.

Shirley Povich was often critical of the Redskins because they were VERY late to have even a single African-American on their roster. One of his most famous columns stated, "Jim Brown, born ineligible to play for the Redskins, integrated their end zone three times yesterday."