PDA

View Full Version : Will/should Kyrie be back in the starting 5 Thursday night?

dukefan75
03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
you think K is ready to install KI back to the start 5?

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

No, I think Seth continues to start. Kyrie was in the game at the end, though, as you'd expect.

MulletMan
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
No, I think Seth continues to start. Kyrie was in the game at the end, though, as you'd expect.

No. I don't think that he should start. I realize that people will point out that he led the team in scoring Friday, but that was with 8 points in what would normally be scrub time. Against Michigan he was good, but not great. Couple that with the fact that the one other time that Seth had a bad game this year (VPI) he bounced back the next game with a very solid performance, and I think Kyrie continues to come off the bench.

Wander
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure Kyrie isn't already our best player on offense again. Getting 10 free throws (none of them end of game stretch-the-clock situations) in 20 minutes is really, really, really good.

That said, I don't have a problem with keeping him on the "bench" as long as he gets lots of minutes. It's an interesting decision though.

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I think it will greatly depend on the amount of work they get done in practice this week. If they get to a point where they begin to really click, then I definitely think there is a possibility that Kyrie is starting. But even if he doesn't start, I would be surprised if his minutes don't increase about 50% in Thursday's game, which would put him right around 30 minutes.

superdave
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I think there's two reasons to give Kyrie minutes - we occasionally struggle to create shots and he puts enough pressure on defenses that it creates opportunities for others. I dont think he should replace anyone at this point or be the dominant ball-handler. We need to ride Nolan, first of all, and we need Seth to continue his elevated play. I think Kyrie's minutes in the 2nd half will largely be dictated by matchups and how well he's fitting into the team's play at that time. He's a rotation guy but has not seemed ready to be the dominant guy like he was vs. Michigan State.

I do suspect that Kyrie will face an inferior defender at some point and get into the lane at will, which will cause the DBR boards to explode with excitement. I look forward to that!

cbnaylor
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I elect to stay with the same starting five. I really like bring Kyrie off the bench. If Kyrie was to get the starting nod, then he needs to be more aggressive by attacking the lane. Too many times yesterday, he would go to the wing and stand.

OZ
03-21-2011, 11:35 AM

I am not sure what was going on with Curry yesterday. He was 0-3 for the game; and I don't recall him taking a shot in the second half. The reaction he had to KI's game winning basket was a bit bizarre. The rest of the team jumped to their feet, but Curry remained seated and barely lifted his hand. This was a shot that continued our season!

I hate to speculate, but, I couldn't help but wonder if he were sick or dejected. If the latter, he needs to get over that in a hurry.

Saratoga2
I think there's two reasons to give Kyrie minutes - we occasionally struggle to create shots and he puts enough pressure on defenses that it creates opportunities for others. I dont think he should replace anyone at this point or be the dominant ball-handler. We need to ride Nolan, first of all, and we need Seth to continue his elevated play. I think Kyrie's minutes in the 2nd half will largely be dictated by matchups and how well he's fitting into the team's play at that time. He's a rotation guy but has not seemed ready to be the dominant guy like he was vs. Michigan State.

I do suspect that Kyrie will face an inferior defender at some point and get into the lane at will, which will cause the DBR boards to explode with excitement. I look forward to that!

The coaches will need to look at matchups. Whether a guy starts or plays more minutes need to be determined by that. We saw that against Michigan. Seth had one of his poorer games and the Plumlee's both got less time. Kyrie, Andre and Ryan got more time. They were just more effective. Matchups against Arizona will be quite different and we will see adjustments in personnel and PT.

InSpades
I think Kyrie should start if you plan to play him 20 or more minutes per game. He's obviously not in top conditioning (who could be after being sidelined with an injured toe for 3 months?). It makes no sense to have him sit on the bench to start the game when he's not tired yet.

I've seen some people point out his lack of field goals but as pointed out above... his ability to get to the line is invaluable (especially considering he's a 90% shooter). He will only get better as time goes by...

I don't see it as a big deal either way... Seth certainly deserves to start as well. If Kyrie doesn't start I expect to see him off the bench sooner rather than later. Duke really has an embarassment of riches. How many teams can say their 8th man is as talented as an Andre Dawkins?

loldevilz
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes he should start. Yes he should play 25+ minutes.

He is our most talented player and our only chance for greatness this season.

Kedsy
03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Did you happen to watch the ACC tournament final? I'd say we were pretty great, and Kyrie didn't play a minute.

He helps, certainly. He's not our "only chance" for anything.

Jackson
03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Kyrie should absolutely start on Thursday night. If he does not start, he should definitely play starter minutes. K will more than likely bring him off the bench though, but in what should be a tight game, he will play 30-35 minutes or about the same as Kyle and Nolan.

Jderf
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
The starters on Thursday are yet to be determined, as they are for essentially every game (barring the de jure exceptions of Kyle and Nolan). Those who perform the best/hardest in practice will get the nod.

None of the players have anything given to them, they have to earn it.

UrinalCake
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
If it was December I think Coach K would start him, but this late in the season there's too much risk of disrupting what was already working. After the injury, our team spent the entire season learning to play a new style without Kyrie. Now we're having Kyrie change HIS style to fit into the rest of the team, because there's just not enough time to go back. It's a tough juggling act but I think Coach K will stick to the formula of having Kyrie come off the bench and play 20-25 minutes. Now if we're fortunate enough to advance to the Final Four, I think it's possible he'll start then, but that's a discussion for another time.

MCFinARL
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I think Kyrie should start if you plan to play him 20 or more minutes per game. He's obviously not in top conditioning (who could be after being sidelined with an injured toe for 3 months?). It makes no sense to have him sit on the bench to start the game when he's not tired yet.

I've seen some people point out his lack of field goals but as pointed out above... his ability to get to the line is invaluable (especially considering he's a 90% shooter). He will only get better as time goes by...

I don't see it as a big deal either way... Seth certainly deserves to start as well. If Kyrie doesn't start I expect to see him off the bench sooner rather than later. Duke really has an embarassment of riches. How many teams can say their 8th man is as talented as an Andre Dawkins?

By your own logic, though, if he is not in top condition, isn't it more important to have him fresh and available at the end, rather than the beginning?

jipops
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I think the starting five was nailed down back in the ACC tournament. It makes no sense to disrupt what has been working so well so far and to try to become a different team at this stage in the season. Besides, having the likes of Irving, Dawkins, and Kelly coming off the bench gives us far less drop-off if any. Kelly has been performing extremely well since going to a bench role.

Nolan has gone 27 games being the primary ball-handler that sets up everything. The entire team is accustomed to him being in that role now. To all of a sudden take that away from him could have some adverse effects.

Also, as always, it doesn't matter nearly as much who starts as who finishes. Irving will likely continue to finish without starting.

mgtr
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Agree with not starting KI. As I recall, there was an article or discussion a while ago (before anyone knew if Kyrie would be ready to return this year) about how teams had had difficulty reintegrating players who had been out a long time. This accords with the post above that the team played very well without Kyrie, so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I believe Kyrie should play, and brings a lot to the game, but we don't want disupt what we have. Therefore, no start for KI.

InSpades
03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
By your own logic, though, if he is not in top condition, isn't it more important to have him fresh and available at the end, rather than the beginning?

He's going to be fresh at the beginning regardless. What will make him more fresh at the end of the game... spreading his minutes evenly throughout the game or bunching them up more? It seems pretty obvious to me. Why rest him when he's not yet played and therefore not yet tired?

What if for some reason we need him to play 30 minutes (say lots of foul trouble). Wouldn't it seem really silly to have 5 of the 10 minutes he sits out to be the 1st 5?

epoulsen
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

KI is our only chance for greatness this season? Not the ACC Tourney MVP and Naismith candidate Nolan Smith? Or last years Final Four MVP Kyle Singler? Or continued support from Dre, Curry, Kelly and the Plumlees? Or outstanding coaching from K? It's Kyrie who provides our only chance at a title? Duke's national title runs need an entire team, not just one player. It is all of the above combined that provide us A chance for greatness, and it's an insult to the team, both past and present, to suggest otherwise.

loran16
03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Kyrie had a decent first half. But for an 11 minute stretch in the 2nd half(over which he was on the bench fora few minutes after the first 3 minutes) he looked completely lost and confused about when to drive and when he should defer to others. His play on offense was essentially get ball, pass ball to someone on perimeter immediately, stand in place.

His D seems fine. But he was clearly not comfortable with the offense the last two games (when he got his points in the first game, it was with the scrub team where he could take over. No offense to those four players, but they all would defer to Kyrie and Kyrie would know to take over for them.)

If he fits in better? Sure. But he has 3 days to figure out how to better fit. We would have been better off with Seth (I'm pretty sure the lineup for most of it was Kyrie, Nolan, Dre, Singler, Mason/Miles) than Kyrie yesterday.

He's getting points on fouls, which is nice. But those are on rare occasional drives, and we need more than that for him to play good minutes, nevertheless start.

sagegrouse
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM

I think K is READY to start Kyrie, but I predict he WON'T. He'll stick with the starting five he's been using since the ACCs (five wins in a row) and then let the substitution pattern follow the course of the game.

After all, in 2001 Casey Sanders started the National Championship game, even though Boozer played far more minutes.

Moreover, K knew he was gonna go small against Michigan but still started both Plumlees.

sagegrouse

Chard
03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
We'll see. I think Kyrie comes off the bench unless one of the starters from Sunday has an off week in practice.

Kyrie had a decent first half. But for an 11 minute stretch in the 2nd half(over which he was on the bench fora few minutes after the first 3 minutes) he looked completely lost and confused about when to drive and when he should defer to others. His play on offense was essentially get ball, pass ball to someone on perimeter immediately, stand in place.

His D seems fine. But he was clearly not comfortable with the offense the last two games (when he got his points in the first game, it was with the scrub team where he could take over. No offense to those four players, but they all would defer to Kyrie and Kyrie would know to take over for them.)

If he fits in better? Sure. But he has 3 days to figure out how to better fit. We would have been better off with Seth (I'm pretty sure the lineup for most of it was Kyrie, Nolan, Dre, Singler, Mason/Miles) than Kyrie yesterday.

He's getting points on fouls, which is nice. But those are on rare occasional drives, and we need more than that for him to play good minutes, nevertheless start.

Please see my post from the UM post game thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24943-MBB-Duke-73-Michigan-71-Post-Game-Thread&p=490758#post490758). I'd like to hear your opinion after that.

InSpades
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM

What exactly did Seth do that makes you think Duke would have been better off with him than Kyrie in the game? I'm not saying Kyrie had an amazing game but he certainly did a lot more than Seth (in fewer minutes). What exactly is Seth better at than Kyrie? I see Seth pass the ball around the perimeter plenty but I don't see you criticizing that.

Kyrie was directly responsible for 2 of Duke's 4 field goals in the last 10 minutes of the game (a great pass to Ryan underneath and of course the floater with under a minute left). Admittedly he looked lost running the stall offense but so did everyone else. We attacked the zone terribly, but that wasn't Kyrie's fault.

LSanders
03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
KI is our only chance for greatness this season? Not the ACC Tourney MVP and Naismith candidate Nolan Smith? Or last years Final Four MVP Kyle Singler? Or continued support from Dre, Curry, Kelly and the Plumlees?

Amen, brother. Nolan's been amazing all season. Kyle is often a man among boys. Like K said, the whole team grew up and got better during ACCT. If Kyrie hadn't gotten hurt, the starting five would be slightly different. But, K's not going to abandon them that brung us here.

I also agree that he looks lost at times, which is to be expected. K had to retool after the Butler game. Sitting on the sidelines at practice and/or games is like reading a book about heart surgery. It's a little different when you have the scalpel in your hands. He'll be fine, and he'll get better over the next two weekends (I'm thinking positively here). But, I think K's got a terrific handle on how to integrate KI without screwing up everything he built over the past three months.

dukefan75
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
is that KI inserted back into starting 5...coaches like K dont go with the "isn't broke don't fix it" concept...they think forward and next level not waiting for the trip up/loss, to then just tell themselves they were going with what had been doing ok..we have a superstar talent that likely will be playing his final game if we were to lose..we will go down swinging with our best, and no matter how rusty KI looked, he still is one of our best.

K's quote yday was "We now know that Kyrie can play and he can play extended minutes, which we didn't know coming in." I think that quote alludes to the looming change back to KI starting. If the kid is ready to play 30 mins, he needs to start. It is difficult to find 30 mins for him when you aleady block out the first 4 plus mins of each half.

SMO
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
The starters on Thursday are yet to be determined, as they are for essentially every game (barring the de jure exceptions of Kyle and Nolan). Those who perform the best/hardest in practice will get the nod.

None of the players have anything given to them, they have to earn it.

Practice??? We talkin' 'bout practice??? Practice???

Seriously though, I like the idea of keeping the solid starting 5 we've had this post-season then bringing in a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine as the 6th man. My guess is the team dynamic could suffer by switching up the starting 5 and the 6th man role keeps the pressure on KI lower. It's a tough call though, and I'm glad Mr. 900 is there to make it instead of me.

loran16
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
We'll see. I think Kyrie comes off the bench unless one of the starters from Sunday has an off week in practice.

Please see my post from the UM post game thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24943-MBB-Duke-73-Michigan-71-Post-Game-Thread&p=490758#post490758). I'd like to hear your opinion after that.

Admittedly, I haven't rewatched the game. Everything comes from my initial impressions.

However, I didn't see Kyrie's passing leading to great shots (rather just being passing around the ball to get rid of it, rather than highly likely to result in assists) any more than any other player. It wasn't special.

What exactly did Seth do that makes you think Duke would have been better off with him than Kyrie in the game? I'm not saying Kyrie had an amazing game but he certainly did a lot more than Seth (in fewer minutes). What exactly is Seth better at than Kyrie? I see Seth pass the ball around the perimeter plenty but I don't see you criticizing that.

Kyrie was directly responsible for 2 of Duke's 4 field goals in the last 10 minutes of the game (a great pass to Ryan underneath and of course the floater with under a minute left). Admittedly he looked lost running the stall offense but so did everyone else. We attacked the zone terribly, but that wasn't Kyrie's fault.

My point was this: Kyrie was unsure of whether to be an additional shooter (and move to get open) or play point and it seemed the whole team was unsure as well. The team looked lost running the stall offense in part due to a failure to understand the 1-3-1, but also because Kyrie and Nolan would pass the ball, and KYRIE (as well as Nolan) didn't seem to take any initiative. I'm not saying some of this blame doesn't go on the other players. But Kyrie didn't seem to ADD anything.

Seth in isolation isn't better than Kyrie Irving at running the point. But he knows his role in this offense, as does the team....the team knows what to do with Seth in the game. And with Seth there instead of Kyrie, I feel Nolan would've taken more initiative and Seth may have come down with a few baskets.

None of this is to denounce any one player or whatnot. But I do not understand how ANY of you are coming out of that last game and concluding Kyrie is near ready to start, as he was last weekend. Once again of course, three days of practice COULD make a difference.

dcdevil2009
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
In defense of Kyrie being our only chance for greatness, people have been saying all year that without Kyrie we are a very good team, but with him we have the potential to be a great team. You could say the same thing if it was Kyle or Nolan who had been out for three months and Kyrie who was healthy. We were on the short list of title contenders without Kyrie, but to have a chance at being a great team, along the lines of the early 90s and late 90s/early 00s teams we need Kyle, Nolan, and Kyrie all playing at high levels.

loldevilz
03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
In defense of Kyrie being our only chance for greatness, people have been saying all year that without Kyrie we are a very good team, but with him we have the potential to be a great team. You could say the same thing if it was Kyle or Nolan who had been out for three months and Kyrie who was healthy. We were on the short list of title contenders without Kyrie, but to have a chance at being a great team, along the lines of the early 90s and late 90s/early 00s teams we need Kyle, Nolan, and Kyrie all playing at high levels.

Not only have people been saying this, Coach K has been saying this all year. We had a nice ACC run, but it was mainly due to the outstanding play of the plumlees. After last nights near collapse lets put him in the starting lineup for good. He is ready to go.

Remember "if it isn't broke don't fix it" doesn't work in the NCAA tournament.

dukelifer
03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
This is my take on the players. Curry needs to start- he plays better when he starts and hits his shots. He has trouble with long defenders and can be taken out of his game. When he hits his first couple, though- he can go unconscious and can be the best scorer out there- but he can have games where he is absent- like yesterday and Va tech. Kyle's shot is better at the start of games and the second half then at the end of halves - at least this year. He is needed because of his bounding and defense - but he definitely shoots better early in the halves. Nolan takes a little time to get rolling- but tends to play well at the middle to end of halves. Kyrie is a gamer and loves the big moments. He is much better when he plays on instinct and that is what you need at the end of games. Kelly has a little of that in him as well. So given all this- Curry starts- need to get him going along with Kyle, Nolan takes over in the middle and have Kyrie at the end where he is the primary playmaker. The games are going to be tight and how Duke manages the end and deciding who shoots will be a huge factor. Kyrie was uncomfortable yesterday at the end because he seemed to be deferring to Nolan and Kyle- but his shot at the end while avoiding a charge was about as important a play as Duke has had all season. Duke may not have won that game yesterday if Kyrie had not come back to play in this tourney.

NSDukeFan
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Admittedly, I haven't rewatched the game. Everything comes from my initial impressions.

However, I didn't see Kyrie's passing leading to great shots (rather just being passing around the ball to get rid of it, rather than highly likely to result in assists) any more than any other player. It wasn't special.
I was rather impressed with the bullet cross court to Ryan for the lay-up, though admittedly that was one play only.

My point was this: Kyrie was unsure of whether to be an additional shooter (and move to get open) or play point and it seemed the whole team was unsure as well. The team looked lost running the stall offense in part due to a failure to understand the 1-3-1, but also because Kyrie and Nolan would pass the ball, and KYRIE (as well as Nolan) didn't seem to take any initiative. I'm not saying some of this blame doesn't go on the other players. But Kyrie didn't seem to ADD anything.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Kyrie is a freshman playing in his tenth college game after not playing for 3 months? Would he be at all concerned about not disrupting a very good basketball team that dominated the ACC final and earned a #1 seed? I liked the addition of the 10 points, including the clutch winning basket, that he provided.

Seth in isolation isn't better than Kyrie Irving at running the point. But he knows his role in this offense, as does the team....the team knows what to do with Seth in the game. And with Seth there instead of Kyrie, I feel Nolan would've taken more initiative and Seth may have come down with a few baskets.
I think you make an interesting point about Nolan perhaps taking more initiative playing with Seth vs. Kyrie. I think you are probably right and Nolan and Kyrie (as well as the coaching staff and team) are trying to figure out how to best play with two of the top 4 or 5 offensive creators in college basketball who both excel with the ball in their hands. I don't know if Michigan's defense allowed Nolan and/or Kyrie to penetrate as easily as against a man-to-man or traditional zone defense however. I think you need to make a few passes to be able to get better penetrating lanes against that defense.

None of this is to denounce any one player or whatnot. But I do not understand how ANY of you are coming out of that last game and concluding Kyrie is near ready to start, as he was last weekend. Once again of course, three days of practice COULD make a difference.
I do not understand how you could come out of a weekend where Kyrie (I'll again remind you he had not played in a game in over 3 months, when he had played 8 career games) scored 25 points on 12 fga and 13-14 from the line and looked fine defensively and not think that some fans might think that the potential #1 pick in the next draft might warrant more playing time and a starting spot. I don't feel strongly enough to capitalize any words, as I expect Seth to start and hope he has another strong game, but I certainly don't think it unreasonable to conclude Kyrie (who finished the game) could be ready to start.

loran16
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Just to add to my previous comments, here are two tweets from DraftExpress (Jonathan Givony) on the situation:

DraftExpress:
Both are great guys & know how good each other are. Tough to establish chemistry 30+ games into season. This week's practices will be key.

DraftExpress
Lots of tentativeness in Duke's offense when both Irving (old go-to guy) & Smith (new go-to guy) were on the floor together. Hierarchy gone?

Givony isn't always looking toward the college game with his tweets, given that he specializes as an NBA-Draft expert (obviously). But it wasn't imagined by me and I think most of you are overlooking it.

Seth should start, barring some revelations in practice.

gwlaw99
03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I think the first question should be: does he practice on the team with the starters. That is the only way they are going to get more chemistry.

Rich
03-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I am not sure what was going on with Curry yesterday. He was 0-3 for the game; and I don't recall him taking a shot in the second half. The reaction he had to KI's game winning basket was a bit bizarre. The rest of the team jumped to their feet, but Curry remained seated and barely lifted his hand. This was a shot that continued our season!

I hate to speculate, but, I couldn't help but wonder if he were sick or dejected. If the latter, he needs to get over that in a hurry.

I just watched the replay very, very closely and Curry does not seem to be either. While he does not jump up, he gives a confident fist pump after KI's shot. Your speculation, which you began by saying you hate to do it, suggests some resentment between the two, either intentionally or unintentionally. Unless you have some specific facts, which by all accounts do not exist, I would refrain from such speculation on these Boards.

InSpades
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Just to add to my previous comments, here are two tweets from DraftExpress (Jonathan Givony) on the situation:

Givony isn't always looking toward the college game with his tweets, given that he specializes as an NBA-Draft expert (obviously). But it wasn't imagined by me and I think most of you are overlooking it.

Seth should start, barring some revelations in practice.

The results of the game on sunday don't seem to indicate Kyrie had any adverse impact on the offense. Duke scored 1 less point (in 2 less minutes) while Kyrie was in despite the fact that Kyrie played all of "stall ball" while Seth only played some. I don't disagree that there is some work to do in order to get Kyrie integrated with the offense... but in the meantime I don't think he's really hurting anything. If all he does is shoot from outside and occasionally drive and draw fouls then he is already doing more offensively than Andre or Seth usually do. Meanwhile he obviously has the potential to create points for himself and others unlike anyone outside of Nolan.

uh_no
03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I think we need to remember, coming into last week, he had practiced what, twice? with the team....with another week of practice (well 3 days really....but at these stages, thats still a monumental amount relative to what he's had) I expect the guys to know their roles better

I would think kyrie is a little hesitant at the moment for fear of 'messing things up'...he doesn't want to go down in history as the guy who came back to the devils and ruined the chemistry....I think he'll get over it....he just needs a couple shots to fall....hopefully they have a few good practices this week and kyrie takes it to a new level on thursday

AsiaMinor
03-21-2011, 04:40 PM
We're so fortunate to have a team where the discussion of which excellent player to start and which excellent player to bring off the bench is possible. We shouldn't forget that in our eagerness to parse the details and over think the stats.

WiJoe
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Unless you have some specific facts, which by all accounts do not exist, I would refrain from such speculation on these Boards.

This board is was built on speculation.

ACniner
03-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I know he's not the most popular guy, but Skip Bayless made an interesting point about Kyrie/Nolan compared to D-Wade/Lebron. He said as fantastic as both players are, they really seemed unsure as to how/who was going to close the game for Duke. Many posters have already pointed out the fact that Kyrie literally has just put his jersey on, and stepped onto the floor without any real practice or games since December. Going forward, here are some questions I think address Kyrie's role on this team going forward.

1-Has getting those first two NCAAT games, an additional stretch of practice, and hitting that big shot been enough to get Kyrie back to his old form?

2-If Coach K follows the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" logic, CAN a 100 percent, no rust Kyrie find a way to fit in? From the eight games at the beginning of the season, as well as his high school games, his style is come out guns blazing while shredding the defense to get to the hole.

3-From here on out, if we thought the Michigan game was tight, it's going to be even tighter going forward. It's a close game, the season on the line. Obviously you want Nolan making plays, but if Kyrie is back to old form, should we not utilize his talents and allow him to take over?

4-Can Seth Curry adapt to taking more of a backseat role again? I don't mean will he have a bad attitude, but hot shooters usually need confidence and the ability to get into the flow of a game to be lethal. Can he find his rythem in a more limited role?

The fact is we are running out of time to really see what works and what does not. Having such a great Coach will make this process easier. We have problem that many teams would kill to have right now.

J4Kop99
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
You don't change the starting line-up now. Unless Kyrie is truly upset that he doesn't have the starting spot, why would you change what has been working? ... and I doubt Kyrie has any issue with coming off the bench. I also think it's better for Seth to start. Helps his confidence and Seth having a high confidence level is extremely important for us as we move forward.

Just because you start, does not mean you automatically play more than whoever comes off the bench. As some have already said, Carlos came off the bench in '01 but played "starters" minutes. Coach K will manage the game as he see's fit and if Kyrie is playing well, I'd imagine he will play a solid amount of minutes. Curry would really have to fall of the face of the earth while Kyrie goes back to his old-self if we were to see a change in the starting 5.

Wander
03-21-2011, 06:30 PM

10 foul shots in 20 minutes are not "rare occasional drives." That's an amazing rate, and any player who's good enough on offense to get 20 free throws over a 40 minute game against a decent team should play as many minutes as realistically possible (as long as they're not a liability on defense).

dukestheheat
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
He was (quite understandably) winded in these last two games, so I don't think he starts UNLESS K chooses to go small and push it versus Arizona. I have the feeling, however, that K will go with the Plums and bring KI off the bench. He's scored 12.5/game these last two games doing just that which is just mind-boggling to me!

dth.

BluDvlsN1
03-21-2011, 06:59 PM
One mans opinion!
There is too much emphasis being placed on starting a game, unless there is an expectation of going 40 minutes.

Many of the greats in the game came off the bench, Jack Ramsey, John Havlicek,Kevin McHale..and many more! (I know old time)

KI, has been invaluable on his return, whether he starts or not, he will get his minutes and make his contributions...at this time of the year, it's about matchups...Coach K directed our attention to that against Michigan! He will make the right call!

Seth will be fine, after the Virgina Tech game, he came back with a vengence, he is a shooter, and he will make his contributions also, as will all the guys!

What excites me is having the added dimension to stay big, go small and numerous other configurations as dictated by the situation!

I would love to be a fly on the wall in our practices, just to peek!

Consider what an opposing coach has to deal with in developing a game plan for us!

We are in a very good place!

Let's go Duke!

ThePublisher
03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
He'll start.Based on Kyrie's comments he is holding back because he is worried about stepping on someones toes.Coach has to figure out how to get kyrie back to his old aggressiveness.I think a starting role will do that.

J4Kop99
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
He'll start.Based on Kyrie's comments he is holding back because he is worried about stepping on someones toes.Coach has to figure out how to get kyrie back to his old aggressiveness.I think a starting role will do that.

I mean this question in all seriousness, as I have not seen any of Kyrie's recent comments...

When you say stepping on someones toes, do you mean he is afraid of physically stepping on someones toes and hurting himself? or that he does not want to piss one of his teammates off by "stealing" their role?

Is he hesitant because he is afraid of another possible injury or is he hesitant because he doesn't want to ruin any chemistry?

It gets tricky once you start mentioning toes and Kyrie in the same sentence.

dukebluesincebirth
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM

I agree that Kyrie has to get that aggressiveness back, and I wasn't aware of the comments about holding back. But I don't think putting him in the starting lineup would necessarily make him more aggressive. This is something Coach K could certainly try to get Kyrie more into the flow of the game (I'm sure he hasn't come off the bench too much in his life), but Kyrie has to get all of his speed/cutting/jumping ability back before he'll be as aggressive as before. He just didn't look quite there yet this past weekend, which is why it all depends on how much he can improve in practice. As with KI for most of this season, who knows?

johnb
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
We don't have a starting lineup set in stone. While Nolan, Kyle, and Mason appear to be locks, the other 2 starting positions appear to have rotated around since early December. From my vantage point, if KI is one of the 2-3 best players on the team--which I think he is--he should start and get 30 minutes a game. If KI's presence leads Nolan (and/or Seth) to get tentative, then the coaches should counsel some assertiveness training, but to leave KI on the bench in order to make the other players feel better about themselves seems like a bad idea. By the way, I can hardly recall a KI drive to the basket that didn't end well (yes, there were a couple of charges, but I bet his success ratio is only getting better).

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I mean this question in all seriousness, as I have not seen any of Kyrie's recent comments...

When you say stepping on someones toes, do you mean he is afraid of physically stepping on someones toes and hurting himself? or that he does not want to piss one of his teammates off by "stealing" their role?

Is he hesitant because he is afraid of another possible injury or is he hesitant because he doesn't want to ruin any chemistry?

It gets tricky once you start mentioning toes and Kyrie in the same sentence.

He meant that Kyrie does not want to force his game on his teammates after they had so much success without him. I read the comments somewhere as well.

Chard
03-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Then I encourage you to go watch it because some of my initial impressions were the same as yours. You will sing a different tune.

You'll see Kelly receive a zinger under the basket from...

You'll see Nolan receive a pass under the basket and get fouled. The pass was from....

You'll see Dawkins put up a good shot from downtown after a pass from...

Go ahead, watch the replay. I'll wait.

Oh, and while you're at it, look for Kyle's only three pointer in the first half on a pass from....

One more thing for everyone in general. I've read here that some think Seth had his head down and didn't cheer like the rest of the team when Kyrie hit the shot. I saw him quietly pump his fist as if he calmly knew it was going in the whole time.

J4Kop99
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
We don't have a starting lineup set in stone. While Nolan, Kyle, and Mason appear to be locks, the other 2 starting positions appear to have rotated around since early December. From my vantage point, if KI is one of the 2-3 best players on the team--which I think he is--he should start and get 30 minutes a game. If KI's presence leads Nolan (and/or Seth) to get tentative, then the coaches should counsel some assertiveness training, but to leave KI on the bench in order to make the other players feel better about themselves seems like a bad idea. By the way, I can hardly recall a KI drive to the basket that didn't end well (yes, there were a couple of charges, but I bet his success ratio is only getting better).

Yes, when healthy. It doesn't seem like you are taking into consideration the current state of health for Kyrie. If he was 100% healthy, this thread wouldn't even be a discussion topic.

Taking everything into consideration, we should continue on with the current starting 5 and have Kyrie come off the bench. If, for whatever reason, Kyrie comes out vs. Arizona like his old-self and Curry continues having confidence issues, then I would bet we would see him starting in the elite 8.

ThePublisher
03-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Kyrie means, like ajgoodfella said,he doesn't want to push someone else out of the way, or upset anyone by taking over.But we want him to take over.That is when he is unstoppable.

I think I read this on blue devil nation or duke update.Not sure though.

MartyClark
03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, when healthy. It doesn't seem like you are taking into consideration the current state of health for Kyrie. If he was 100% healthy, this thread wouldn't even be a discussion topic.

Taking everything into consideration, we should continue on with the current starting 5 and have Kyrie come off the bench. If, for whatever reason, Kyrie comes out vs. Arizona like his old-self and Curry continues having confidence issues, then I would bet we would see him starting in the elite 8.

I have to admit that I don't have a clue on the best course of action. I thought that Kyrie was not at full speed, I would say 80%. I also thought there was a bit of role confusion in the last game. I look forward to seeing K's strategy.

_TheFakeJWill_
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
first off i would have loved to see Kyrie in the ACC tourny so he would have been given the chance to play with the team more and work out the kinks... last thing we need is to work them out it the sweet 16... as we are now.

Now given that they do work out everything in practice this week (and Nolan was asked on Mike and Mike this morning how long before him and Kyrie "jell" again and Nolan said probably one practice) I say start Kyrie. He is one of, if not the best on ball defender and the best slasher and free throw shooter on the team. I think giving kyrie the starting spot will give the team a lift. There is a reason he's taked about as the the number 1 over all pick.... Start the guy Thrusday. What do we have to lose. GO DUKE!!!

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 09:28 PM
I have to admit that I don't have a clue on the best course of action. I thought that Kyrie was not at full speed, I would say 80%. I also thought there was a bit of role confusion in the last game. I look forward to seeing K's strategy.

I agree. Nolan & Kyrie starting together means, effectively, this year, 2 point guards in the backcourt, with 2 shooting guards on the bench. I also recall before the Hampton game that Coach K mentioned that Kyrie's practice had mostly been with the second team, so that's why he was going to bring him off the bench. This late in the year, I don't know why you would risk disrupting the chemistry that has taken most of a season to perfect. So it would seem to be natural to play him with first team if Nolan needed a rest or got foul trouble, and with the second unit, but he's such a valuable asset, I suspect Coach K will find a way to play him more than that. Might it be an advantage for us if our opponent doesn't know who is running the point? What about Coach K and his embracing the idea that we don't really have fixed positions on the team? I do suspect he'll think outside the box and find a way to use his best 5 for the matchups given at all times. If that involved 2 Plumlees and Kelly, he'd do it. If it involves two point guards, he'll do that. K is not nearly as rigid as his demeanor.

dukelifer
03-21-2011, 10:13 PM
All I know is that K goes by his gut and he knows his team. Kyrie does not need to start to get involved- but matchups and in game situations will dictate who is on the floor. K was not sure what Kyrie could do and the rust is there- but the kid has unbelievable skill with the ball and even with a three month layoff - he is electric.

ACCBBallFan
03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I think I read somewhere where Seth had been playing with a hip pointer. Not sure if that is fully healed but you may want him to start while he is warmed up.

Conversely if Kyrie has endurance problems all the more reason to start him to give him one more rep, kind of like the leadoff batter getting more at bats over the long haul than the cleanup hitter or the guy who bats seventh.

With Arizona seemingly vulnerable to penetration by J'Covan Brown all game vs TX, I would start Kyrie and Nolan. With Zona having a bunch of 6'6 and 6'7" guys, I would have Kyle at 3 rather the 4, with both Plumlees or a plum and Kelly.

There is a ripple effect at play when Kyrie is in hte game, whether he starts or subs. With Seth or Dre, they are pretty much spot up shooters and foe can put best on ball defender on Nolan and bigggest guy on Kyle.

With Kyrie in game, quickest defender has to take him which gives Nolan the second best defender and Kyle the third best defender and should help both of thie productivity and ability to beat heir man off the bounce.

tele
03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
It doesn't matter who starts, what matters is winning and advancing, or noone will be starting, they'll all be home watching. I doubt there will be enough practice time before thursday's game for Kyrie to increase his endurance and practice with the starting 5 enough to warrant getting the start. It's not just disrupting team chemistry, but also protecting Kyrie's health and reinsertion onto the active roster.

DevilWearsPrada
03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
first off i would have loved to see Kyrie in the ACC tourny so he would have been given the chance to play with the team more and work out the kinks... last thing we need is to work them out it the sweet 16... as we are now.

Now given that they do work out everything in practice this week (and Nolan was asked on Mike and Mike this morning how long before him and Kyrie "jell" again and Nolan said probably one practice) I say start Kyrie. He is one of, if not the best on ball defender and the best slasher and free throw shooter on the team. I think giving kyrie the starting spot will give the team a lift. There is a reason he's taked about as the the number 1 over all pick.... Start the guy Thrusday. What do we have to lose. GO DUKE!!!

I agree! Start Kyrie! This win is to survive and advance, not a non conference game in December. Whatever is best for the team.... just do it! Because everyone wins! I heard the entire segment on Mike and Mike show with Nolan. It will take Kyrie one full practice! Thats how Freaking good of an athlete Kyrie is!

Start Kyrie! He in my opinion, will spark the team early, and sustain them!

CajunDevil
03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Then I encourage you to go watch it because some of my initial impressions were the same as yours. You will sing a different tune.

You'll see Kelly receive a zinger under the basket from...

You'll see Nolan receive a pass under the basket and get fouled. The pass was from....

You'll see Dawkins put up a good shot from downtown after a pass from...

Go ahead, watch the replay. I'll wait.

Oh, and while you're at it, look for Kyle's only three pointer in the first half on a pass from....

One more thing for everyone in general. I've read here that some think Seth had his head down and didn't cheer like the rest of the team when Kyrie hit the shot. I saw him quietly pump his fist as if he calmly knew it was going in the whole time.

Chard, you are absolutely right here! Kyrie's passing makes everyone better. By delivering the ball where players can make a play, KI gets teammates easier shots. Sometimes, his passes are subtle - quick swing to Kyle in the corner for the three, and at other times they are dynamic - zipping a pass through traffic to Kelly for an "and one". Plus he has vision of the floor that no other current Duke player has.

skylar
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
according to dukebasketball on twitter, coach k just said KI "will play significant minutes" against Arizona on Thursday, but will not start.

Chitowndevil
03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
according to dukebasketball on twitter, coach k just said KI "will play significant minutes" against Arizona on Thursday, but will not start.

I'm not sure if this is what they're referencing, but links to interviews with Coach K and the players are on this page (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205121248&DB_OEM_ID=4200) at goduke.com.

Here's the direct link (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=761745&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200) to the Coach K interview. Not sure the link will work, but it is free!

EDIT: Pretty sure this is the interview that tweet was referencing. K says Kyrie playing significant minutes in the second game was "ahead of schedule" and that against Arizona he will again play "significant minutes" but will not start.

Aditya
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is what they're referencing, but links to interviews with Coach K and the players are on this page (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205121248&DB_OEM_ID=4200) at goduke.com.

Here's the direct link (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=761745&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200) to the Coach K interview. Not sure the link will work, but it is free!

EDIT: Pretty sure this is the interview that tweet was referencing. K says Kyrie playing significant minutes in the second game was "ahead of schedule" and that against Arizona he will again play "significant minutes" but will not start.

That interview seems to be referenced in this New York Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/03/22/sports/ncaabasketball/AP-BKC-NCAA-Duke-Irving.html?hp

They basically say what you said.

Fuqua's Finest
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
We all know if it ain't on DSPN, it ain't official (I kid, I kid).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6247656

DukieinSoCal
03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
We need to unleash Kyrie going forward. He shouldn't feel hesitant or uncomfortable playing with Nolan. Get him the ball off of defensive rebounds and see if he can start a fast break for an easy bucket. His one-man break is almost unstoppable.
Nolan can still initiate the offense in half-court sets but we shouldn't force Kyrie to walk the ball up the floor or play passively.
I think the matchups in the next 2 rounds will lend themselves to more open court play and that should play into Kyrie's strengths. Hopefully, a week of practice will get us back closer to the pre-injury style of play that Kyrie was leading so effectively.

Chard
03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Geez. I can't imagine trying to game plan for Duke right now. What style of play do you prepare for?!

roywhite
03-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Geez. I can't imagine trying to game plan for Duke right now. What style of play do you prepare for?!

Better check with Clubber Lang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA) for a prediction.

SuperTurkey
03-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Then this:

http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2011/03/perfect-team-is-back-west-region-picks.html

"I'm Kyrie Irving, from New Jersey," the beggar said. "And you'll never see me again."