PDA

View Full Version : WBB 2R: Duke 71, Marist 66

wandalee
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Duke moves on in the 1st round after a solid thrumping of UT-Martin. We face Marist on Monday night in Cameron. Game time is 7:00. It would be great to have a good crowd for Jasmine's, Karima's, and Krystal's final game in CIS.

Go Duke!

-bdbd
03-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Duke moves on in the 1st round after a solid thrumping of UT-Martin. We face Marist on Monday night in Cameron. Game time is 7:00. It would be great to have a good crowd for Jasmine's, Karima's, and Krystal's final game in CIS.

Go Duke!

Keep up the focus ladies! No doubt Marist will be fired-up. What sort of game are we expecting? Anybody have a scouting report on Marist? Will this NCAA game sell out in CIS?

Is it on TV?

Thx. Go lady Devils!!!!!!
:cool:

wandalee
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
The game won't be a sell out, but I hope we have a good crowd there. It will be on one of the ESPN stations at 7:00.

stillcrazie
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
There were obviously a lot of empty seats on Sat. According to the ticket office on Friday, they were not letting students in with IDs. Clearly there was space for them. I hope they change the policy for tonight.

94duke
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
There were obviously a lot of empty seats on Sat. According to the ticket office on Friday, they were not letting students in with IDs. Clearly there was space for them. I hope they change the policy for tonight.

Can they just let them in? It's an NCAA tournament game.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Marist is a team we better be ready for. They have only lost 2 games this year, and are supposedly a very good shooting team. They have the #1 scoring defense in the country..which means trouble for us if we have a bad offensive outing as we have been known to do. MHTorringjan posted the following about them on CTN. I do hope that Cameron is packed..a good home crowd could really be a difference maker.

The low seed number for Marist was one of the major controversies of the tournament this season (what top-20 ranked team on a 26-game winning streak deserves a 10-seed?), and they’re going to bring a Sweet Sixteen-type game to Cameron a week early. They execute very well (>1.0 ATO ratio), defend well (17 TO’s per game forced), and have something to prove. The crowd will be big in this one, and holding down Marist’s star guards Allenspach and Yarde will be key. As long as Duke generally plays Duke basketball (or McCallieball, if you prefer), they should be in good shape.

http://crazietalk.net/?p=472

Game notes are here on goduke.com, http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&ATCLID=205120123&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Lid
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I caught most of Marist's first game on Saturday, although I didn't know much about them ahead of time. I'm not surprised to hear they were ranked, but somehow I'd missed that coming into the game.

My impressions were that they had some great shooters and quick, pesky defense. They seem quite a bit smaller than Duke in general (height and, more importantly, strength), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke try to out-muscle them; I'd expect to see Marist try to turn Duke over a lot and get easy baskets as much as possible. (Although really, what team doesn't like easy baskets?)

It would be nice to have a loud pro-Duke contingent there; Marist traveled very well. Should be a fun game, hopefully the women in blue finish the year strong in Cameron.

PumpkinFunk
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Can they just let them in? It's an NCAA tournament game.

Nope. The NCAA makes everyone, students included, buy tickets. Last year, Coach Cutcliffe paid for 200 student tickets for both sessions. That hasn't happened this year. It's hard to convince students to pay a few bucks to see a basketball game, given that we can see it on TV, and given that a 1-8 game isn't all that exciting in the women's tournament with the lack of parity.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
and given that a 1-8 game isn't all that exciting in the women's tournament with the lack of parity.

Unfortunately Marist got shafted with their seed. Tonight's game should be pretty exciting, it's one Duke could definitely lose if they are not shooting well.

stillcrazie
03-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Nope. The NCAA makes everyone, students included, buy tickets. Last year, Coach Cutcliffe paid for 200 student tickets for both sessions. That hasn't happened this year. It's hard to convince students to pay a few bucks to see a basketball game, given that we can see it on TV, and given that a 1-8 game isn't all that exciting in the women's tournament with the lack of parity.

Thanks - I had forgotten that Cutcliffe had made that possible last year. In any case, we are playing horribly! Come on, women!

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Watching 2nd half now and we are turning up the ball pressure. 11 pt Marist lead went down to just 2, I think, but is now 5 after a 3pt-er.

It baffles me that Cameron, not a large college arena by any stretch, is so sparsely populated with fans. We are a 2 seed, with a home 2nd round tournament game. I have heard that their ACC games are not often sold out, but this is the NCAAT!

Oh well, go Duke!

stillcrazie
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately Marist got shafted with their seed. Tonight's game should be pretty exciting, it's one Duke could definitely lose if they are not shooting well.

This may have been prophetic. Let's go!

zingit
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know where you can watch online if you don't have cable and your network doesn't get ESPN3? Been looking around for a live feed . . .

DukeGirl4ever
03-21-2011, 08:47 PM
We keep fighting...but we are giving too many open looks. I'd give up the zone and go straight up man for the rest of the game.

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know where you can watch online if you don't have cable and your network doesn't get ESPN3? Been looking around for a live feed . . .

go to espn.com, click on the box score, and see if there's a tab that says "watch live"

slipping away from us.

throatybeard
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=146647&league=NCAAW&size=condensed

Not that it works very well.

It looks like there are about fifteen people at the game.

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Chelsea Gray is nails. But Yarde has been killing us. 1 point game, Gray on the line for 2.

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
What a comeback (so far) ... but if Marist had solid ballhandling, it would be over already.

Funny name - Red Foxes.

Anyone remember Redd Foxx? You big dummy!

Bluedevil114
03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow!! What a great run. Keep it going and close this out.

zingit
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
go to espn.com, click on the box score, and see if there's a tab that says "watch live"

slipping away from us.

Thanks, but I tried that (ESPN3) and it wasn't working for me. I think maybe it would if I were able to log in with Time Warner Cable, but it's my roommate who has the account and she's busy. Bah. I'll just watch the highlights later, and remember that I never like watching us play badly anyway.

Bluedevil114
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks, but I tried that (ESPN3) and it wasn't working for me. I think maybe it would if I were able to log in with Time Warner Cable, but it's my roommate who has the account and she's busy. Bah. I'll just watch the highlights later, and remember that I never like watching us play badly anyway.

The last two minutes are on ESPN 2.

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join ya, honey!

throatybeard
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Funny name - Red Foxes.

State had a pretty cute redhead playing for them in the early 2000s. I can't remember her name. Hyphenated surname maybe.

Missed FTs made this harder than it needed to be.

Thirteen S16s in fourteen years. (And the year we lost in the 2R was a road game at Michigan State). That's pretty awesome for a school not named Connecticut or Tennessee.

stillcrazie
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

dukelifer
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Amazing comeback by Duke. Marist was playing unbelievable. Duke got it close and then Marist would hit a three and go back up. Chelsea Gray was the difference maker- scored 10 or more points in the last couple minutes and Duke's D forced turnovers. Duke dodged a huge bullet.

anon
Nice comeback.

OT: Our women's uniforms are hideous. The blue and black trim is quite distracting, IMO.

cspan37421
Definitely FTs hurt us, and Marist was well coached to send our lowest % players to the line late (when they intentionally fouled, whether it was called that or not). But Marist also hit well from 3 point land, 10 to our 5, and although it wasn't an OSU men's 3 point %, it really put us to the wall. I won't say we are lucky to escape - we made our luck through tough pressure defense - but Marist was quite a worthy foe.

throatybeard
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice comeback.

OT: Our women's uniforms are hideous. The blue and black trim is quite distracting, IMO.

Our uniforms are hideous. (Edited for comprehensive accuracy irrespective of gender).

burnspbesq
03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Duke has lived by its defense all year, and tonight was no exception.

After Marist hit a three to go up 60-54 with 5:24 to go, they got no field goals for the next 4:41. During that stretch, they went 0-3 from the floor with three turnovers. Duke didn't really extend the matchup zone, so much as they dialed up the intensity. Marist ended up going deep into the shot clock and not getting good looks at the end of it. Add points off turnovers, and there you go. Not counting Allie's two misses which didn't hurt us too badly because we got possession, we were 6-8 from the line in the last minute.

Phew.

Worth noting that our next opponent, DePaul, also trailed most of the night before pulling out their game at the end.

Chris Randolph
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Anyone from the men's team in attendance?

HS Dukie
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Mason, Nolan, Tyler, and Casey were in attendance. My daughter got a picture with Mason. His feet are enormous!

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Mason, Nolan, Tyler, and Casey were in attendance. My daughter got a picture with Mason. His feet are enormous!

You know what they say about big feet ...

big shoes.

burnspbesq
03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Nice to see Alana Beard in the crowd for both games. Be equally nice to see her back on the floor for the Mystics in May.

Kewlswim
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
You know what they say about big feet ...

big shoes.

Hi,

You know what they say about small hands?

Small gloves. :)

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
This may have been prophetic. Let's go!
Chelsea Gray is my hero! WHEW!!!!

uh_no
03-22-2011, 01:06 AM
I won't lie, I thought duke looked impressive tonight, and as a Uconn fan, a second win over duke is by no means assured. i think it will be a good game this time around....uconn hasn't been playing so well

stillcrazie
03-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Chelsea Gray is my hero! WHEW!!!!

Chelsea Gray: superstar in the making. She is going to make the loss of Jasmine next year much easier to take. She's been doing amazing things all year long, but I look for her to take it to another level next year. Go Duke!

buddy
03-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Good win by Duke, but I have trouble taking the women's tournament seriously. (For the record, I was at Duke both Saturday and last night.) Marist should never be a 10 seed, and whomever on the committee thought that was right should never be allowed on the committee again. Depaul, a 3 seed, had to play Penn State, a 6 seed, AT PENN STATE. An AWAY game in the tournament. Just like we had at Michigan State a couple of years ago. It's clear the women's tournament committee doesn't have enough confidence in the women's game to play a truly neutral court tournament. And based on this weekend's attendance at Duke, who can blame them.

jimsumner
03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Good win by Duke, but I have trouble taking the women's tournament seriously. (For the record, I was at Duke both Saturday and last night.) Marist should never be a 10 seed, and whomever on the committee thought that was right should never be allowed on the committee again. Depaul, a 3 seed, had to play Penn State, a 6 seed, AT PENN STATE. An AWAY game in the tournament. Just like we had at Michigan State a couple of years ago. It's clear the women's tournament committee doesn't have enough confidence in the women's game to play a truly neutral court tournament. And based on this weekend's attendance at Duke, who can blame them.

No question Marist is better than any 10-seed should be. I suspect they would have been better than .500 in the ACC.

Marist coach Brian Giorgis addressed the seeding after the game, noting that his conference (MAAC) had a very bad season this year and that dragged his team's RPI way down. They played some quality non-conference teams, St. John's, Louisville, Nebraska.

Didn't help their RPI enough but it sure made them battle-tested. They were not intimidated at all.

Keep in mind that their best player, Allenspach, only played 13 minutes because of injury.
She's a senior, too. Horrible way to end your college career, writhing in pain in an NCAA Tournament game.

It's easy to describe Marist in terms typically used to describe good mid-major teams; well-coached, smart, fundamentally sound. But Marist is well-coached, smart and fundamentally sound and I don't use any of those terms dismissively. You had to love their poise and tenacity. Duke kept crawling back to within two or three points and someone would hit a huge shot and the lead would go back up. You have to give them huge kudos for withstanding so many blows.

But you have to give Duke credit for the same thing. All of those close wins-Texas A&M, Xavier, Kentucky, NC State, et. al., paid off. Krystal Thomas says Duke gets looser late in close games, while their opponents get tighter. Hard to argue. But it's playing with fire.

Eventually, Duke just wore them down. Bigger, deeper, more athletic. Gray and Christmas, in particular, just abused Marist down the stretch. Their combination of strength and quickness just isn't that common. Put them in attack mode and it's pretty fearsome.

I felt the same way about Marist that I did Sunday about the Michigan men (and Washington men, also). They really deserved to win. Played quite well a long way from home, in a hostile arena, against a heavily-favored opponent. Marist didn't lose this game, Duke won it.

A final word on Marist. They have an incredible fan base. Giorgis said Marist is the only game in town and I'm pretty sure Poughkeepsie doesn't have a lot of entertainment options in January with two feet of snow on the ground. But their fans seem knowledgeable, fair and very, very supportive of their team. I was impressed with every aspect of Marist women's college basketball.

DevilWearsPrada
03-22-2011, 02:43 PM
These girls have done this all year.

It wasnt a pretty win, but a great Win! Survive and Advance!!!

MCFinARL
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Definitely FTs hurt us, and Marist was well coached to send our lowest % players to the line late (when they intentionally fouled, whether it was called that or not). But Marist also hit well from 3 point land, 10 to our 5, and although it wasn't an OSU men's 3 point %, it really put us to the wall. I won't say we are lucky to escape - we made our luck through tough pressure defense - but Marist was quite a worthy foe.

Yes--although they also demonstrated the limits of that strategy. Fouling Vernerey on the other side of the court before our player could throw the ball in bounds was so obviously an intentional foul that it accomplished nothing, because Duke got the ball back even though Vernerey, as Marist had hoped, missed both the free throws.

devilsadvocate85
03-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I won't lie, I thought duke looked impressive tonight, and as a Uconn fan, a second win over duke is by no means assured. i think it will be a good game this time around....uconn hasn't been playing so well

Are you serious? Duke was not good in any phase of this game! We are lucky to have survived. If we play like that against UConn (should that happen), I'd predict UConn by at least 30.

dukelifer
03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Are you serious? Duke was not good in any phase of this game! We are lucky to have survived. If we play like that against UConn (should that happen), I'd predict UConn by at least 30.

In any phase of the game? Marist did not give this away- Duke took it from them. Duke's D was pretty strong against a team that rarely turns the ball over. The O was not a thing a beauty but then again it rarely is.

SCMatt33
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM

It's not just that they don't have confidence. They actually tried it for several years, from 2005-2008. They had the exact same "pod" system as the men's tournament. It was a miserable failure. It was tough enough to get people to show up to home games when there is a 1-15 or 2-16 slaughter-fest on tap, but getting them to show up to a neutral site for those games is impossible. For non-revenue sports, competitive balance is not the biggest priority in the bracket, at least in the early rounds. Is it ideal to have DePaul play at Penn State when they're ranked higher, no, but unless people start showing up to more women's basketball games, it's going to stay that way for a while.

jimsumner
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes--although they also demonstrated the limits of that strategy. Fouling Vernerey on the other side of the court before our player could throw the ball in bounds was so obviously an intentional foul that it accomplished nothing, because Duke got the ball back even though Vernerey, as Marist had hoped, missed both the free throws.

I thought the strategy was excellent but the execution wasn't. Foul Vernerey, just don't make it so obvious.

And I have no explanation for why she was on the floor in that situation.

buddy
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I thought the strategy was excellent but the execution wasn't. Foul Vernerey, just don't make it so obvious.

And I have no explanation for why she was on the floor in that situation.

Agreed. During the time out I was discussing with neighboring fans that I would foul Vernerey if I were Marist. Why Coach P didn't know that I don't understand. I love Ali, but she should never be on the floor in the last two minutes of a game where we are nursing a lead. Which is unfortunate for us (and her).

And, yes, Duke won that game. Marist did not lose it. Duke's size and strength made all the difference down the stretch.

rasputin
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Agreed. During the time out I was discussing with neighboring fans that I would foul Vernerey if I were Marist. Why Coach P didn't know that I don't understand. I love Ali, but she should never be on the floor in the last two minutes of a game where we are nursing a lead. Which is unfortunate for us (and her).

And, yes, Duke won that game. Marist did not lose it. Duke's size and strength made all the difference down the stretch.

It's funny, before those shots, I said to all the people in our house (OK, that's my wife and the cats), just put enough arc on the damn shots. Because when she does, her stroke looks OK. Plumlee the Younger also does better when his shot isn't so flat.

jimsumner
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
It's funny, before those shots, I said to all the people in our house (OK, that's my wife and the cats), just put enough arc on the damn shots. Because when she does, her stroke looks OK. Plumlee the Younger also does better when his shot isn't so flat.

Wouldn't that be Plumlee the middle? :)