PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Anaheim

CA Cameron Crazie
03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm excited to have Duke playing in California and I'm traveling down to Anaheim to watch. Does anyone know how to find out if or when they may be having open practice and where the team hotel would be? I would love to get an autograph or picture for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

PumpkinFunk
03-20-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm excited to have Duke playing in California and I'm traveling down to Anaheim to watch. Does anyone know how to find out if or when they may be having open practice and where the team hotel would be? I would love to get an autograph or picture for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

All of the team's travel plans and the itinerary will be figured out tonight. The NCAA determines the hotels for each team and makes the open practice schedule (it'll be Wednesday sometime)

burnspbesq
03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Because of the Honda Center's proximity to the Disneyland Resort, there are literally thousands of decent to nice hotel rooms within 10 minutes, mostly along Harbor Blvd. If you don't mind splurging, the Grand Californian, which is part of the resort, is very nice (it's Disney's take on the Ahwahnee, but without Yosemite outside your door).

There are also several nice hotels along State College, closer to Angels Stadium (my parents have stayed at the Hilton Suites on State College, and like it).

May be easier to find space in business-travel-oriented hotels in Irvine or Newport Beach, nearer the airport.

If you don't have tickets already, move fast. The SDSU and UConn fans had a day's head start, and StubHub has been picked pretty clean.

Kewlswim
03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi,

How do I figure out the face value of the tickets? Stub-hub, etc. only tells me what the person wants for the tickets, but I can't seem to find what the face value actually is.

Thanks,

GO DUKE!

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Is the West regional a Thursday/Saturday regional?

dukester
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi,

How do I figure out the face value of the tickets? Stub-hub, etc. only tells me what the person wants for the tickets, but I can't seem to find what the face value actually is.

Thanks,

GO DUKE!

I have tickets in the 407 section and face value is 186 for both days so 93 for each day. Hope that helps the search a little.

Farn
03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Anybody know the expected time of the 2 Elite 8 games on Saturday? Trying to avoid the conflict of being at a spring training game in Scottsdale during the games.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Is the West regional a Thursday/Saturday regional?

Yes.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes.

Thanks, that kind of sucks that we play today, Sunday, and have to turnaround and play Thursday. Interesting

pfrduke
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Anybody know the expected time of the 2 Elite 8 games on Saturday? Trying to avoid the conflict of being at a spring training game in Scottsdale during the games.

The games Saturday typically have an afternoon/evening spread - like 3 and 6 or 4 and 7 (all times eastern). I would expect the West Regional's game to get the later start, but there's no guarantee.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks, that kind of sucks that we play today, Sunday, and have to turnaround and play Thursday. Interesting

Agree, and I posted a minor concern about this on the Mich postgame thread. Bad luck of the draw in having to travel west - when?? Monday? Tuesday? - acclimate to WDT, have one fewer practice day [think Kyrie issues]. Still, immeasurably better than not traveling out there..... And better than the crap Clemson had to deal with.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I have tickets in the 407 section and face value is 186 for both days so 93 for each day. Hope that helps the search a little.

Does it say $93 on each ticket? Usually the sessions are priced by the number of games. This would imply $124 for Thursday and $62 for Saturday.

Kewlswim
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks.

GO DUKE!

HateCarolina
03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
To anyone who either knows or has tickets...what times do the games start on Thursday and Saturday and please specify whether its Eastern or West Coast time. Trying to make sure that real life does not get in the way of my Duke B-Ball watching!! :D

burnspbesq
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Thursday's first game starts at 7:07 p.m. EDT (4:07 local time). Plan to arrive no later than 3:00; you may very well end up parking at Angels Stadium, a 10-15 minute walk from the Honda Center.

MartyClark
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
All of the team's travel plans and the itinerary will be figured out tonight. The NCAA determines the hotels for each team and makes the open practice schedule (it'll be Wednesday sometime)

Two questions that are arguably relevant to this thread?

1. Does Duke charter a plane for travel to Anaheim?

2. Is Duke on spring break?

burnspbesq
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Supposed to be cool all week (high temps around 60, lows in the 40s). Chance of rain on Friday. Pack accordingly.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Two questions that are arguably relevant to this thread?

1. Does Duke charter a plane for travel to Anaheim?

2. Is Duke on spring break?

1. Yes

2. No. Spring break was March 4-14.

dukester
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Does it say $93 on each ticket? Usually the sessions are priced by the number of games. This would imply $124 for Thursday and $62 for Saturday.

yes, it says $93 on each ticket

Bob Green
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Bad luck of the draw in having to travel west - when?? Monday? Tuesday? - acclimate to WDT...

I consider myself very experienced in dealing with time changes and consider the challenge of adjusting to a 3 hour difference negligible. One simple strategy is to stay on EDT for the whole trip. It's not hard.

77devil
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I consider myself very experienced in dealing with time changes and consider the challenge of adjusting to a 3 hour difference negligible. One simple strategy is to stay on EDT for the whole trip. It's not hard.

Agree, plus it's much easier to adjust going West than East.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 09:09 PM

I accept this correction, as I myself am much less experienced. Indeed, when I have to drive down the mountain to town, it takes me a couple of days to acclimate.

WiJoe
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Thursday's first game starts at 7:07 p.m. EDT (4:07 local time). Plan to arrive no later than 3:00; you may very well end up parking at Angels Stadium, a 10-15 minute walk from the Honda Center.

What is the source of the times?

CA Cameron Crazie
03-21-2011, 02:49 AM
If I call the Duke basketball office, will they disclose what hotel they are staying in? I don't want to stalk them or anything...just want to wait in the lobby for a picture when they arrive and hope to see the team.

dbd4ever
03-21-2011, 07:41 AM
CBS has us playing at 9:45pm on Thursday.

moonpie23
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
hope we get this starting time issue correct soon, i've got to move some clients around.... !!!

lol

coldriver10
03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Ugh, I don't like having the 2nd game. I think it's a disadvantage since, if you win, you can't scout your next potential opponent (live). Plus, it might be a little trickier for us since we're an east coast team and the start time would be equivalent to almost 1 am eastern time.

Am I thinking too much about this?

tbyers11
03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Ugh, I don't like having the 2nd game. I think it's a disadvantage since, if you win, you can't scout your next potential opponent (live). Plus, it might be a little trickier for us since we're an east coast team and the start time would be equivalent to almost 1 am eastern time.

I think you are because you've got your time zone conversions screwed up. The game is scheduled to start at 9:45pm Eastern time (6:45 local time in Anaheim).

uh_no
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

you'd think after almost 80 tournament wins coach K might have it figured out.....

-jk
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM

As usual, all three assistants were sitting on press row watching Michigan-Tenn, scouting both teams.

-jk

coldriver10
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I think you are because you've got your time zone conversions screwed up. The game is scheduled to start at 9:45pm Eastern time (6:45 local time in Anaheim).
Ah! That should have been obvious. Thanks :)

DallasDevil
03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

I think it can actually be an advantage. Coach K talked about what an odd start time we had Sunday, but the team has some experience with late games throughout the season. Also, one of the assistants always attends the earlier game to scout our next potential opponent. We had the late game last year in the Sweet 16 and that turned out okay.

coldriver10
03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
As usual, all three assistants were sitting on press row watching Michigan-Tenn, scouting both teams.

-jk
Oh, I have no doubt about it. I just think it's an advantage in a tournament when a player can play then game (and win) and then can just sit in the stands and scout the other team with his own eyes. It might not make a difference, but between the two, playing the first game would be my preference.

CA Cameron Crazie
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
The tickets I got are for section 214 and the face value on it is $93. I paid $180 each. Not bad considering it's in a lower section, even though it's on the baseline. Some of the prices I had seen were ridiculous.

devil84
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Oh, I have no doubt about it. I just think it's an advantage in a tournament when a player can play then game (and win) and then can just sit in the stands and scout the other team with his own eyes. It might not make a difference, but between the two, playing the first game would be my preference.

I'm not sure that most players of earlier games (of any team, not just Duke) would be able to see the later games in person. The biggest problem to seeing the second game is the team and media obligations which can easily take an hour. After that, the team bus may leave, potentially to go to a post-game meal, then back to the hotel for curfew (for evening games) or other team obligations.

Even if there weren't obligations, the player needs to have saved a comp ticket for himself to have a seat to watch the game in person (meaning that a friend or family member won't see his game because he needs the seat for himself for the second half of the second game). Should a player actually get into the stands to see it in person, I'm sure he'd be surrounded by well-meaning fans who want a picture or autograph, severely distracting his ability to scout the game.

The assistant coaches do a terrific job of scouting in person and relaying the information to the team. It's a great idea to have the players see the game, but the reality of the other obligations means that team members rarely, if ever, see a tournament game as a spectator until after their playing days are over.

hurleyfor3
03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure that most players of earlier games (of any team, not just Duke) would be able to see the later games in person.

At the Denver games last week, the entire BYU team watched the Gonzaga/St. Johns game from a section of otherwise unoccupied seats behind one of the baskets. I've seen this phenomenon at ACC Tournaments as well, including Duke players watching later games. It seems there are seats saved expressly for this purpose.

socaldukie
03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Wednesday's practices are open to the public. Connecticut will practice from noon to 12:50 p.m. followed by Arizona from 1 to 1:50 p.m., San Diego State from 2:10 to 3 p.m. and Duke from 3:10 to 4 p.m.

:cool:

uh_no
03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
At the Denver games last week, the entire BYU team watched the Gonzaga/St. Johns game from a section of otherwise unoccupied seats behind one of the baskets. I've seen this phenomenon at ACC Tournaments as well, including Duke players watching later games. It seems there are seats saved expressly for this purpose.

For what its worth, at the final four last year, the MSU players watched the duke game from the MSU student section....could this perhaps have been the student section and students didn't show up?

diablesseblu
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

I watched a fascinating interview of RMK this AM. He told Rece Davis that he did not want his players to even watch the other games on TV....much less see them from the stands. His rationale was there is so much info to assimilate, he wanted to be solely in charge of what his players were told about their opponents.

Coach Knight said he took that approach to insure that his players would focus on what he thought necessary for them to know about their opponents.

devil84
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM

While my data is admittedly old, it was my experience that there were no seats saved for the teams. Team members were specifically told that if you want to see the games in other sessions, you must have your own ticket. It would be difficult to see the other game in the same session, due to team obligations (if playing the first game, media obligations and the team bus leaving shortly thereafter for a post-game meal leave only a few minutes, if any, to watch).

No venue is going to want to save 40 or so seats for two teams of players, trainers, managers, and other team members that *might* be occupied for only part of a ball game -- I'm sure they'd rather have $11-16K in ticket revenue plus two (or four, for the ACCT) days of whatever concessions and parking revenue for those ticket holders.

That said, there are usually available seats, such as those vacated by a pep band from the first game if the venue allows for four simultaneous pep bands. The ACCT has room for only two bands, but the Thursday/Friday games at the ACCT find plenty of vacant seats near the court.

While it's quite possible for teams to find seats and watch entire games, it's fairly difficult to do from a logistics standpoint, unless you're playing the first game of a four game day and can make it back for the second session. Then there's the point that diablesseblu makes, that RMK doesn't want them to see the game, live or on TV (and RMK's protege may view the ACCT differently due to a high probability of having played each possible opponent in the last month).

hurleyfor3
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
While my data is admittedly old, it was my experience that there were no seats saved for the teams.

I don't know what policy is; I'm just reporting what I've seen.

In Denver, the aforementioned BYU players came in a few minutes after the start of the Gonzo/St. Johns game. They were dressed in their warmups and did not come in all at once -- Jimmer came in later than most, probably because he was doing interviews. The seats they took were among several empty rows under one of the baskets. These seats were right behind the band "seats", which are actually just a roped off area on the floor. They in fact sat on the opposite end of the floor from where the BYU band (and the BYU cheering section) was. Access to these sections was tightly controlled by stadium security, so random fans couldn't just come up and talk to them. They left a few minutes before the game was over, with Gonzaga having built a subtantial lead.

At ACC tournaments where I've seen players watch later games, it's just been a few players, never most of or an entire team that I recall. Usually they sit in an area similar to where the BYU students were, right behind one of the baskets. However, as an undergraduate I recall a few Duke players coming upstairs into the Duke section after our game was finished, and us acknowledging their presence.

I do believe the event organizers save seats for such occasions. I saw Pat Riley right behind the basket at last year's ACC Tournament. I doubt he bought that ticket on StubHub or hoped a random scalper would magically come through with a seat like that.

WiJoe
03-22-2011, 06:39 PM
those big areas of empty seats in the end zones are usually for bands

luigi90
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Iron Dukes are staying in Grand Hyatt Orange County in Anaheim. I'm not sure if team is staying there also.

PumpkinFunk
03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
those big areas of empty seats in the end zones are usually for bands

Exactly. The bands for the 2nd game of a session come in during the 1st to get set up. Rarely are both filled for the 2nd game of a session but those sections are tightly controlled by security.