PDA

View Full Version : obsessing on Roy

Class of '94
03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I didn't recall seeing this anywhere else; and I wasn't sure if this belonged in the East discussion thread. Feel free to delete this if it has already been posted or if this is considered rumor mongering. And mods feel free to move this if it does not merit its own thread and should be put in a more appropriate thread.

I was at the Wral site and I came across this link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blog/5192119/#blogpost_id_9296297 .

It has always appeared to me that Roy has had an unhealthy obsession of Duke; and I was starting to think a little better of Roy after the classy way he conducted himself at the end of the ACCT; but if this is true, I think Roy has taken his obsession of Duke to a new low. And what's worse, I can't believe the NCAA would allow Roy to break NCAA tradition.

JG Nothing
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I didn't recall seeing this anywhere else; and I wasn't sure if this belonged in the East discussion thread. Feel free to delete this if it this has already been posted or if this is considered rumor mongering. And mods feel free to move this if it does not merit its own thread and should be put in a more appropriate thread.

I was at the Wral site and I came across this link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blog/5192119/#blogpost_id_9296297 .

It has always appeared to me that Roy has had an unhealthy obsession of Duke; and I was starting to think a little better of Roy after the classy way he conducted himself at the end of the ACCT; but if this is true, I think Roy has taken his obsession of Duke to a new low. And what's worse, I can't believe the NCAA would allow Roy to break NCAA tradition.

This deserves its own thread to remind people what a petty, insecure person Roy Williams is. Actually the words "petty" and "insecure" should be in the title of the thread. If staying at the Ritz-Carlton was so important to Williams, then unc should have beaten Duke in the ACC tourney.

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
It appears Roy Williams is as obsessed with Duke as DBR posters are obsessed with Ol' Roy.

Class of '94
03-19-2011, 08:29 PM
It appears Roy Williams is as obsessed with Duke as DBR posters are obsessed with Ol' Roy.

Touche'...:) But in all honesty, it was not like I was going out looking for things like this. I was actually going to the site to read about any Duke-related articles or videos from yesterday's practice or Friday's game; and I came across it. Thought it was interesting and decided to post it because I had truly came away from the ACCT thinking better of Roy and this disappointed me.

InSpades
03-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Seems like a silly article... I mean, I'm no expert on hotels but I don't think a Westin is really a step up from a Hilton and neither are on the level of a Ritz-Carlton. Maybe Roy just wanted his team closer to the arena or whatever. Who cares?

BD80
03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
UNC's hotel as assigned by the NCAA was the Hilton University but rumor is head coach Roy Williams refused to stay there because he wanted a hotel "as nice as or better than Duke's". Duke is staying at the Ritz-Carlton.

So, the coaches took the team and staff to a non-NCAA hotel (Westin) and left the Hilton out to dry, who had been under contract and holding rooms for the team

unc alum should demand a basketball coach "as good or better than Duke's." Good luck in finding one!

DukeUsul
03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Reminds me a bit of the time we were playing in the Meadowlands in the 1/2 rounds and Temple was there as well. For some reason John Chaney didn't want to stay in the same hotel with us Duke band members (we were not in the team hotel). For the life of me I could never guess why..... :rolleyes:

He complained and made Duke move us.

weezie
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, fyi, this Hilton, the Charlotte Center City, is a dump. Michigan is staying here and so am I and the husband.
Dumptastic.

SupaDave
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
In terms of the two programs' importance to the NCAA, I can understand Roy's point of view.

MartyClark
03-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Good point. More importantly though, Coach K does not appear to be obsessed or insecure with N.C. Coach K picks his moment and defines the moment. He always seems to have a healthy emphasis on his team, not somebody else's team. I love the way he simply ignores other influences, whether Jalen Rose or the evil empire in Chapel Hill

OldPhiKap
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
unc alum should demand a basketball coach "as good or better than Duke's." Good luck in finding one!

THAT's funny.

Roy, what a tool.

Channing
03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Good point. More importantly though, Coach K does not appear to be obsessed or insecure with N.C. Coach K picks his moment and defines the moment. He always seems to have a healthy emphasis on his team, not somebody else's team. I love the way he simply ignores other influences, whether Jalen Rose or the evil empire in Chapel Hill

to be fair, didn't coach k make comments about playing in the same regional as Carolina a few years ago because the crowd was too anti-Duke?

mgtr
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I have stayed in the Ritz-Carlton in DC a lot, and I can understand why it would generally be ranked #1. Just glad that I was not paying!

diveonthefloor
03-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I have stayed in the Ritz-Carlton in DC a lot, and I can understand why it would generally be ranked #1. Just glad that I was not paying!

Not to be picky, but they're actually in Charlotte. (Although I am willing to bet that the two hotels are of similar quality....maybe that's what you meant?)

JBDuke
03-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Except this was the Ritz-Carlton in Charlotte. A fine hotel, I'm sure, but doubtful that it's up to the level of the Ritz in DC.

77devil
03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Except this was the Ritz-Carlton in Charlotte. A fine hotel, I'm sure, but doubtful that it's up to the level of the Ritz in DC.

I wouldn't bet on it if you are referring to one near GWU. Never been impressed. The one in Georgetown and those in many other cities are noticeably better IMO.

El_Diablo
03-19-2011, 10:30 PM
WRAL deleted the story.

Classic homers.

MCFinARL
03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
In all fairness, this is an unsigned item on a TV sports blog with an obvious grammatical error ("as good of a hotel") in the title. I'm not sure we can place a lot of credence in this account.

uh_no
03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
WRAL deleted the story.

Classic homers.

or maybe the original reporter got the story wrong...

YourLandlord
03-19-2011, 11:59 PM

what does this link point to?

seems broken, or at least not a link to whatever this thread is about.

uh_no
03-20-2011, 12:06 AM
what does this link point to?

seems broken, or at least not a link to whatever this thread is about.

the story got taken down

hurleyfor3
03-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Link has been removed, so I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.