PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke v. Hampton NCAAT

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Writing this up, it felt good to see "Irving" at the front of lineups once again. It wasn't his strongest game in +/- terms (you'll see his name just above "Peters" in raw numbers and at the very bottom in per 40), but it was just so great to see him back on the court and to see the old electricity come back into his step.

The starting 5 was dominant in this game, outscoring Hampton 43-16 in just 17:17 of game play (the rest of the lineups combined for 44-29 in 22:43 - not shabby at all). Miles and Curry were particularly effective on defense - Hampton did not score a point per minute while those two were in the game. A solid team showing across the board, and a good first round (second round, whatever) win.

Individuals
Miles Plumlee 53-20 (+33)
Seth Curry 50-18 (+32)
Kyle Singler 55-24 (+31)
Nolan Smith 56-28 (+28)
Mason Plumlee 49-26 (+23)
Tyler Thornton 28-15 (+13)
Josh Hairston 28-15 (+13)
Ryan Kelly 31-19 (+12)
Andre Dawkins 36-25 (+11)
Kyrie Irving 37-27 (+10)
Casey Peters 6-4 (+2)
Todd Zafirovski 6-4 (+2)

Per 40 Minutes
Seth Curry +61.0
Miles Plumlee +60.0
Kyle Singler +51.7
Nolan Smith +46.7
Mason Plumlee +41.8
Tyler Thornton +40.0
Josh Hairston +40.0
Casey Peters +40.0
Todd Zafirovski +40.0
Ryan Kelly +28.2
Andre Dawkins +22.0
Kyrie Irving +20.0

Lineups (Score, times used, margin)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (43-16, x5, +27)
Irving-Thornton-Dawkins-Hairston-Kelly (22-11, x2, +11)
Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (5-2, x1, +3)
Irving-Thornton-Peters-Hairston-Zafirovski (6-4, x1, +2)
Smith-Curry-Singler-Kelly-Miles (2-0, x1, +2)
Irving-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles (3-2, x1, +1)
Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (0-0, x1, 0)
Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (0-0, x1, 0)
Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Mason-Kelly (4-6, x1, -2)
Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (2-4, x2, -2)

Duvall
03-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Irving-Thornton-Peters-Hairston-Zafirovski (6-4, x1, +2)

Not a lineup I expected to see much this year, but a successful one.

duke96
03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Biggest key will be to figure out how to make the Irving-Smith lineups work smoothly. Looked a bit awkward in very limited minutes today, but to be expected of course. Interesting how rarely they were on the court together. I suspect, if we are able to advance past Michigan, this will be a key focus of next week's practices. An interesting challenge that I'm sure K will address well. Would (will?!) be incredibly fun to see those two thriving on the court together.

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Biggest key will be to figure out how to make the Irving-Smith lineups work smoothly. Looked a bit awkward in very limited minutes today, but to be expected of course. Interesting how rarely they were on the court together. I suspect, if we are able to advance past Michigan, this will be a key focus of next week's practices. An interesting challenge that I'm sure K will address well. Would (will?!) be incredibly fun to see those two thriving on the court together.

I was actually surprised Coach K went White team/Blue team in the second half. I thought he would have used the time to let Kyrie work with Smith and Singler a bit more, since most of his game minutes from here on out will be with those guys on the floor, and not Thornton and Hairston.

Delaware
03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
I was actually surprised Coach K went White team/Blue team in the second half. I thought he would have used the time to let Kyrie work with Smith and Singler a bit more, since most of his game minutes from here on out will be with those guys on the floor, and not Thornton and Hairston.

Well that is looking at it from Irving's perspective.... Coach K addressed this in the post game and he was actually doing it to give his starting team (which implies they will stay the starters at least for this weekend) continuity in what he knew would be limited minutes in the second half due to the score. He also wanted Kyrie to run the team he had been practicing with all week.

You and I might have done it differntly, but coach K is a true genius and this is proof of it!

Chard
03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Well that is looking at it from Irving's perspective.... Coach K addressed this in the post game and he was actually doing it to give his starting team (which implies they will stay the starters at least for this weekend) continuity in what he knew would be limited minutes in the second half due to the score. He also wanted Kyrie to run the team he had been practicing with all week.

You and I might have done it differntly, but coach K is a true genius and this is proof of it!

It makes sense since that starting line up will get most of the burn on Sunday against a good Michigan team. Should Duke advance I think the coaches will work on mixing in Kyrie with the current starters next week. Today was a great opportunity to see Kyrie in-game action and see where he's at with his game and endurance.

COYS
03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
It makes sense since that starting line up will get most of the burn on Sunday against a good Michigan team. Should Duke advance I think the coaches will work on mixing in Kyrie with the current starters next week. Today was a great opportunity to see Kyrie in-game action and see where he's at with his game and endurance.

I also think it paid off to let Kyrie run things with a lineup where he is the unquestioned alpha dog. He had a chance to attack and take shots that he may have passed on with Nolan, Kyle, and Seth out there with him. He certainly looked more tentative when he first came on with most of the starters. Kyrie is not only trying to get up to game speed after a 3 month layoff, he's also coming off the bench for the first time in his life. I think by pairing him with the second team it gave him a chance to gain the confidence that he can attack at will, which is what K will want from him off the bench.