PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Michigan Pre-game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

MChambers
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Post your thoughts here. How will Duke attack the 1-3-1 zone?

CN Duke do a better job against three pointers than we did today?

wilson
03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Hampton shot 4-14 on threes today. Exactly how much better do people want us to do?
Also, they opened the game in a zone, and we played very similarly to the fashion in which we handled it this time last year, with a tall, good passer in the high post, conducting the offense through a "hub" type of position. Mason is not quite the passer that Zoubs was, but he still acquitted himself quite well IMO. I will be excited to see how the fellas handle it on Sunday, but I'm not worried. Especially if we continue to shoot well (over 53% today, 47%+ from outside), we'll be just fine.

-bdbd
03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Post your thoughts here. How will Duke attack the 1-3-1 zone?
Can Duke do a better job against three pointers than we did today?

I'm thrilled to be taking on Jalen Rose's old team!! I know the current players shouldn't have to bear the brunt of Duke anger over those stupid remarks of his - I'm convinced a big motivator was just to get his show/production free advertising by creating some controversy - but I sure do thirst for some Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie-led revenge on the "corn and maize"... The "Harvard of the West," per Rose. :mad:

I think we match up better vs the Mich zone than we would have vs the Tenn athleticism. Just need to shoot well from the outside, and find those seams. I see a good opportunity for Nolan's penetrating and dishing, and Kyle's mid-range game. :eek:

When are we likely to play on Sunday?

davekay1971
03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
John Beilein is an excellent coach and the 1-3-1 can be challenging. I've seen a few good teams struggle against his 1-3-1 when it's being played well. Good spacing, the ability to be able to penetrate and disrupt the zone (Nolan, Kyrie, that means you two), and the ability to knock down open three pointers on kickouts will be key. Also, we have to have disciplined defense against Beilein's well coached, patient attack, and push out for fast break points on their misses. We're a much more athletic team and hopefully can take advantage of that.

LSanders
03-18-2011, 06:43 PM
That team I watched today against Hampton doesn't need one molecule of extra motivation. Miles was a beast ... Kyle and Nolan were Kyle and Nolan ... The defense was active ... 17 assists ... AND late in the second half, Kyrie's smile returned!

K and his staff have done a magnificent job with the team since the start of the ACCT.

No disrespect to Michigan, but there's no way, IMO, they can hang with this Duke team for 40 minutes. I'm very glad to have Kyrie back and think he'll really start to look like himself next weekend. BUT ... The emergence of the post (particularly Miles) will have more to do with a serious run to Houston than Kyrie.

I'm not being overly confident and thinking we can't lose, but it's gonna take one whale of a team to beat these guys.

MaxAMillion
03-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I think Duke can lose if they are not making their 3 pointers. Michigan will play a deliberate style that will keep the score down. They are extremely well coached and they can play with anyone (go back and check all their close games with Syracuse, Ohio State, and Kansas).

It is real easy to have wild mood swings when watching your favorite team. A lot of Duke fans pointing to the final four after the last couple of games, while earlier an early round knock out was called for after losses to Tech and UNC.

Almost every year you have a top seed losing to a lesser team. It can happen to Duke if they don't shoot well from outside.

Spam Filter
03-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, remember these guys lost to Kansas in OT and played OSU close all 3 times, lost at Syracuse by 3 and lost to Wisconsin by 1.

Duke is a better team but Michigan is certainly capable of staying close, and anything can hope if it's close game with 5 minutes to play. Duke will need to bring their A game.

AlaskanAssassin
03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Worried about them hitting a lot of threes, so we need to lock them down.

Chris Randolph
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Michigan is not a great rebounding team, factor in the zone and the difficulties it brings when boxing out, the Plums should get us many 2nd chance opportunities.

This game worries me a bit because Michigan's 1-3-1 zone. We haven't seen much of anything like it all year (we've seen 2-3 zone, not 1-3-1). Little practice time to prepare for it. Can't settle for long jumpers and commit turnovers that lead to easy buckets. I think it will be a good game, Mich will need to hit some big time shots they normally wouldn't make if they want to win it

I'm glad Michigan blewout Tenn. Let them feel really good about themselves :)..... The Michigan crowd was chanting "we want Duke." Careful what you wish for

WVDUKEFAN
03-18-2011, 07:54 PM
John Belien was very well liked while he was at WVU. He ran a clean and respectable program and he is an excellent coach. Considering the talent we were able to recruit during his tenure at WVU, he did pretty well with them. He will have his team ready and we really need to focus on Michigan before we look ahead. I think talent wise, we are heads and shoulders above them, but we need to take them serious.

strawbs
03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
a win gives Coach K career win #900. He would become only the 2nd coach in mens division 1 history to achieve this. I'm sure coach will keep them focussed on the task at hand, but the players will still have extra motivation to pull off this win.

jipops
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Darius Morris' assist rate is 3rd in the nation. At 6-4 he has an advantage in seeing over the defense. This is a huge defensive task for Nolan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle on him too.

wgl1228
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Just like everyone else I liked what I saw even though this was a #16 seed. Everyone just seemed to flow together. I feel like we are capable of big leads now in the first half and hopefully putting games away early. I really don't feel scared now that Kyrie is back and the Plumlees, Curry, Kelly, and Dawkins are playing outstanding ball. As long as we can keep our defensive intensity up like the ACC Tournament we can afford getting fouls. This team wants it!

MarkD83
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I recall that Baylor played a 1-3-1 last year (correct me if I am wrong). How did Duke attack that last year? If I recall Zoubs parked himself at the foul line and dished the ball out to open shooters. (I think someone earlier in the thread pointed this out.)

This year I think Mason or Kelly can man that position, but they each can also be an offensive weapon from there...Mason has shown the ability to drive and Kelly can shoot from there. If Michigan collapses on the high post look for drivers from the corners or Dawkins and Curry firing up threes.

With Kyrie back is this a game where we go "small" with one of Miles, Mason and Ryan on the floor with four from the group of Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre and Kyrie?

MarkD83
03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
a win gives Coach K career win #900. He would become only the 2nd coach in mens division 1 history to achieve this. I'm sure coach will keep them focussed on the task at hand, but the players will still have extra motivation to pull off this win.

I just hope getting Coach K the win does not make the team too hyped up for this game.

Waynne
03-18-2011, 09:21 PM
I just hope getting Coach K the win does not make the team too hyped up for this game.

Getting Coach K the win should not even be a concern for the team. They have more important things to focus on, like the game plan for beating Michigan.

CDu
03-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I recall that Baylor played a 1-3-1 last year (correct me if I am wrong). How did Duke attack that last year? If I recall Zoubs parked himself at the foul line and dished the ball out to open shooters. (I think someone earlier in the thread pointed this out.)

This year I think Mason or Kelly can man that position, but they each can also be an offensive weapon from there...Mason has shown the ability to drive and Kelly can shoot from there. If Michigan collapses on the high post look for drivers from the corners or Dawkins and Curry firing up threes.

With Kyrie back is this a game where we go "small" with one of Miles, Mason and Ryan on the floor with four from the group of Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre and Kyrie?

Pretty sure Baylor played a 2-3 zone, not a 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 zone isn't very common.

GODUKEGO
03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
When are we likely to play on Sunday?

We play at 12pm. on Sunday.

MChambers
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure Baylor played a 2-3 zone, not a 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 zone isn't very common.
WVa tried the 1-3-1. Huggins inherited it from Belein. Duke shredded it.

I'm pretty sure we beat by tossing it into Zoubs at the free throw line and letting him find the open shooter. Sounds like we need to have Seth or Andre at the weak side corner, which is the open spot in that zone. Maybe some real b-ball experts could weigh in.

SMO
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm pretty sure we beat by tossing it into Zoubs at the free throw line and letting him find the open shooter. Sounds like we need to have Seth or Andre at the weak side corner, which is the open spot in that zone. Maybe some real b-ball experts could weigh in.

R Kelly happens to be a good passer from that area, and a good shooter from there too. He may be a key to the game in addition to Curry and Dawkins shooting from range. As long as Duke attacks the zone and doesn't settle for too many J's I think the offense will be effective.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
R Kelly happens to be a good passer from that area, and a good shooter from there too. He may be a key to the game in addition to Curry and Dawkins shooting from range. As long as Duke attacks the zone and doesn't settle for too many J's I think the offense will be effective.

Kelly, Miles, and Kyle can all take and distribute from the middle. I think we'll be hard to zone.

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 09:48 PM

Interesting factoid. In one of the post-game interview's after the WVU/Clemson game yesterday, Joe Mazzula was asked if it is true that he coaches the team on the 1-3-1 zone in practices, and he said "100% accurate". Mazzula is one of the holdovers from the Belein era, and he and not Huggy, gives the instructions to the team on how to play that zone, in their practices. Interesting. I would imagine the young man has coaching in his future.

hurley1
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Kelly, Miles, and Kyle can all take and distribute from the middle. I think we'll be hard to zone.

i agree....best way to defend us is man to man.....

Chris Randolph
03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Was it two years ago we lost up at Michigan? Difference is they had Harris and Sims. If I remember correctly, their zone really gave us fits and we threw up a ton of bricks. Kyle, Nolan and Miles will remember, hopefully we redeem ourselves

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Was it two years ago we lost up at Michigan? Difference is they had Harris and Sims. If I remember correctly, their zone really gave us fits and we threw up a ton of bricks. Kyle, Nolan and Miles will remember, hopefully we redeem ourselves

That is correct. We had beaten them a couple of weeks earlier in the championship game of a tournament, then played them in the regular season matchup at their place. We attacked the zone in game 1, and settled for 3's in the rematch.

mehmattski
03-18-2011, 10:54 PM
We play at 12pm. on Sunday.

Duke Blue Planet says we play at about 2:45 PM after the conclusion of UNC/ABC.

Clearly the best case scenario is that ABC wins, so that the baby blues go home with baby blues.

http://twitter.com/#!/dukeblueplanet/status/48939837507641344

Bob Green
03-18-2011, 11:00 PM
11/21/2008: Duke 71, Michigan 56. We shot 4-19 (.211) on 3-pointers.

12/6/2008: Michigan 81, Duke 73. We shot 7-33 (.212) on 3-pointers.

We lost because we didn't play defense in the second game.

Chris Randolph
03-18-2011, 11:07 PM

Agreed. I like that this team's identity is defense, especially since the UNC loss. Defense and rebounding were a big part of our title run one year ago. Will be just as big this year and on Sunday afternoon against Mich

RoyalBlue08
03-18-2011, 11:19 PM
From Jay Williams twitter:

"I never play favorites but bc of a certain documentary I really hope Duke destroys Michigan on Sunday! #respect"

Have to say I couldn't agree more.

mgobluedevils
03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
So I basically never post on here but I have read so much on the 1-3-1 on all the Duke forums that I feel like I have to say something. Michigan rarely plays the 1-3-1. In fact, I can't remember the last time they played it in a game before today. They used it today because Bruce Pearl has evidently never taught his team about zones, so they mixed in the 1-3-1 and mostly a weak 1-2-2 because Tobias Harris was killing us down low even when we doubled. Basically I couldn't stop laughing the second half when UT tried attacking the zone, which consisted of repeatedly charges and travels.

Anyway, my point is that Michigan played man on all the good big ten teams (I've watched basically all of their games, as well as all of Dukes). They might occasionally sprinkle in zone for a possession or two...but generally it didn't work against the big ten...they aren't athletic enough for the 1-3-1 to really be effective, occasionally they might play 1-2-2 or 2-3. But they are a man team on D. Who knows, they might put in a wrinkle or two against us, but against the top B10 teams and Kansas they have tried to match up man-on-man.

Michigan is a good team, but they are playing like a REALLY good team now. They have won 10 of their last 14, and of the losses: 2 were to OSU, both competitive and close games, one was by 2 pts to Illinois (who isn't looking bad now) on the road (who they have since beaten on neutral court), and the other was when a Wisconsin freshman banked in a fadeaway 3 at the buzzer. It's probably a better matchup for us than UT, but its a tough time in the season to draw Michigan. Anyway though, I think they should have all sorts of problems trying to matchup with Singler, or Kyrie/Nolan if they are both on the court at the same time. It will be interesting if Beilein puts Novak or Hardaway Jr. on Singler. Hardaway Jr. is really good, and is the player I am most scared about because he could go off for 30 and his shot is tough to block and has been on of late.

gofurman
03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
So I basically never post on here but I have read so much on the 1-3-1 on all the Duke forums that I feel like I have to say something. Michigan rarely plays the 1-3-1. In fact, I can't remember the last time they played it in a game before today. They used it today because Bruce Pearl has evidently never taught his team about zones, so they mixed in the 1-3-1 and mostly a weak 1-2-2 because Tobias Harris was killing us down low even when we doubled. Basically I couldn't stop laughing the second half when UT tried attacking the zone, which consisted of repeatedly charges and travels.

Anyway, my point is that Michigan played man on all the good big ten teams (I've watched basically all of their games, as well as all of Dukes). They might occasionally sprinkle in zone for a possession or two...but generally it didn't work against the big ten...they aren't athletic enough for the 1-3-1 to really be effective, occasionally they might play 1-2-2 or 2-3. But they are a man team on D. Who knows, they might put in a wrinkle or two against us, but against the top B10 teams and Kansas they have tried to match up man-on-man.

Michigan is a good team, but they are playing like a REALLY good team now. They have won 10 of their last 14, and of the losses: 2 were to OSU, both competitive and close games, one was by 2 pts to Illinois (who isn't looking bad now) on the road (who they have since beaten on neutral court), and the other was when a Wisconsin freshman banked in a fadeaway 3 at the buzzer. It's probably a better matchup for us than UT, but its a tough time in the season to draw Michigan. Anyway though, I think they should have all sorts of problems trying to matchup with Singler, or Kyrie/Nolan if they are both on the court at the same time. It will be interesting if Beilein puts Novak or Hardaway Jr. on Singler. Hardaway Jr. is really good, and is the player I am most scared about because he could go off for 30 and his shot is tough to block and has been on of late.

first, no weauxfing. respect all opponents.

second, what type of teams size wise at guard give us most trouble? FSU... which means longer guards which is Michigan - all of Hardaway, Williama(?) and Novack go 6'3 6'4 6'5 ... FSU thrives on larger guards and their D always gives us fits . this scares me, esp watching Michigan set the all-time record for biggest whoopin in an 8/9 matchup ! And they won in a rout without making a freethrow. Did you all see the same Um team I did? and they run backdoor cuts - something we struggle with.

am i wrong here? I hope and pray Duke wins but are these not at least legit points?

mehmattski
03-18-2011, 11:45 PM

To continue the theme of proving that conventional Michigan wisdom is off, some statistics (Pomeroy):

Offensive Rebounding Percentage: 25.9% (326th)
Defensive Rebounding Percentage: 70.3% (69th)

3pt FG% Defense: 32.7% (73rd)
2pt FG% Defense: 48.9% (229th)

Block% Defense: 6.2% (308th)
Steal% Defense: 7.5% (304th)

3PA/FGA Offense: 43.2% (12th) (Compare to Duke, 35.6%)

So they can't rebound, they can't defend the 2-point shot, and their defense is mostly relying on hoping the other team misses (no blocks, no steals, no fouls). Michigan heavily relies on chucking up way more threes than Duke does, and on not turning the ball over. Duke will win by driving the lane and using their considerable size advantage (biggest Michigan player is the 6-8/240 Morgan, a Freshman) to score easy layups and grab rebounds. There should also be a very sizable advantage at the free throw line, as Michigan never gets there-- famously winning vs Tenn despite no made FTs (0-1), an NCAAT first.

So it may be true that this game is "live-by-three-die-by-three." But that's true for Michigan, not Duke.

gofurman
03-19-2011, 12:01 AM
To continue the theme of proving that conventional Michigan wisdom is off, some statistics (Pomeroy):

Offensive Rebounding Percentage: 25.9% (326th)
Defensive Rebounding Percentage: 70.3% (69th)

3pt FG% Defense: 32.7% (73rd)
2pt FG% Defense: 48.9% (229th)

Block% Defense: 6.2% (308th)
Steal% Defense: 7.5% (304th)

3PA/FGA Offense: 43.2% (12th) (Compare to Duke, 35.6%)

So they can't rebound, they can't defend the 2-point shot, and their defense is mostly relying on hoping the other team misses (no blocks, no steals, no fouls). Michigan heavily relies on chucking up way more threes than Duke does, and on not turning the ball over. Duke will win by driving the lane and using their considerable size advantage (biggest Michigan player is the 6-8/240 Morgan, a Freshman) to score easy layups and grab rebounds. There should also be a very sizable advantage at the free throw line, as Michigan never gets there-- famously winning vs Tenn despite no made FTs (0-1), an NCAAT first.

So it may be true that this game is "live-by-three-die-by-three." But that's true for Michigan, not Duke.

good pts - only thing I would pt out is that we have chucked up almost as many threes as them - 3 ptr taken: D 725 // M 757 for the season. So they send one more 3 up a game than us.

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 12:01 AM
first, no weauxfing. respect all opponents.

second, what type of teams size wise at guard give us most trouble? FSU... which means longer guards which is Michigan - all of Hardaway, Williama(?) and Novack go 6'3 6'4 6'5 ... FSU thrives on larger guards and their D always gives us fits . this scares me, esp watching Michigan set the all-time record for biggest whoopin in an 8/9 matchup ! And they won in a rout without making a freethrow. Did you all see the same Um team I did? and they run backdoor cuts - something we struggle with.

am i wrong here? I hope and pray Duke wins but are these not at least legit points?

Personally, I am glad they blewout Tenn. I can see them being overconfident. There is a difference in GOOD players with confidence and pretty good players who think they are better than they really are.

They aren't that much longer/bigger than our guards. And one of those 6'3 guys will have to matchup with Kyle. I think they have a better opportunity at stopping us playing zone. If they play man, Nolan will get in the paint all day

UrinalCake
03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I have to admit, when the brackets came out I was more afraid of playing Tennessee as they have some big wins this year, but Michigan looked really good today. I think if we attack the rim and play solid defense we should win comfortably, but of course you never know.

UrinalCake
03-19-2011, 12:22 AM
good pts - only thing I would pt out is that we have chucked up almost as many threes as them - 3 ptr taken: D 725 // M 757 for the season. So they send one more 3 up a game than us.

According to mehmattski's Pomeroy numbers, their number of 3 point shots as a percentage of total shots is much higher than ours. So they take one more three per game but way fewer twos than us. I would consider this a greater reliance on the 3-ptr.

Dukeface88
03-19-2011, 12:25 AM

True, but they also play at a much slower tempo; 62.8 (323rd in the NCAA) vs our 69.6 (46th). That makes the actual proportion of threes higher. 43% of their shot attempts (12th), and 37% of their points (10th) are 3s, while only 35% (108th) and 29% (105th), respectively, of ours are.

dukemsu
03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Michigan does not fit the profile of the big, athletic teams that give Duke trouble.

They shoot it well in streaks. They are good at close-outs on defense but are susceptible to dribble-drives. They are an abysmal rebounding team. Today was an aberration as Tennessee stopped playing four minutes into the second half.

Beilein is not going to zone Duke. He'll take his chances in the man. Zoning Duke is an invitation for disaster, particularly with a small team like Michigan.

It's a very difficult matchup for Michigan, and the addition of Kyrie as another dribble penetrator makes it worse. Michigan will have to hit 12-15 3 point shots to score enough to win the game.

Also, Darius Morris, while a talented and improving player, is a hothead who can be goaded into individual battles that take him out of his game. McCamey from Illinois and Craft/Lighty from Ohio State took him out of games this season when Morris, who is a world-class woofer, was more concerned with talking trash than playing the man in front of him.

The 3 point potential should make everyone nervous as it is an unpredictable element that can keep lesser talented teams in games. But Duke has an advantage at all positions, and plenty of motivation after Rose's insulting comments about K all week.

dukemsu

jafarr1
03-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Keep in mind that Michigan had a midseason slump when they lost 7 of 8, and then turned around and went 10-4, including two single-digit losses to OSU, a one-point loss to Wisconsin, and a two-point loss to Illinois.

Using full-season stats could be deceptive.

NashvilleDevil
03-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Since Duke has the game after UNC's let's hope that Duke continues their fast starts so it takes the crowd out of the game. I still think Duke wins on Sunday but a slow start and Michigan hits a couple of 3s then we could be pacing back and forth in front of the TV (and by we I mean me).

mgobluedevils
03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Michigan does not fit the profile of the big, athletic teams that give Duke trouble.

They shoot it well in streaks. They are good at close-outs on defense but are susceptible to dribble-drives. They are an abysmal rebounding team. Today was an aberration as Tennessee stopped playing four minutes into the second half.

Beilein is not going to zone Duke. He'll take his chances in the man. Zoning Duke is an invitation for disaster, particularly with a small team like Michigan.

It's a very difficult matchup for Michigan, and the addition of Kyrie as another dribble penetrator makes it worse. Michigan will have to hit 12-15 3 point shots to score enough to win the game.

Also, Darius Morris, while a talented and improving player, is a hothead who can be goaded into individual battles that take him out of his game. McCamey from Illinois and Craft/Lighty from Ohio State took him out of games this season when Morris, who is a world-class woofer, was more concerned with talking trash than playing the man in front of him.

The 3 point potential should make everyone nervous as it is an unpredictable element that can keep lesser talented teams in games. But Duke has an advantage at all positions, and plenty of motivation after Rose's insulting comments about K all week.

dukemsu

This post is clearly filled with bias...lol at Darius Morris for driving past all 5 guys then telling Kalis Lucas what's up...Lucas talks a ton of trash too, except his game is on the decline, whereas Morris is improving very quickly. Morris is a great competitor and really craft player, although he can't shoot very well. I am biased too but I don't think people are giving Michigan enough credit based on the fact that they are playing phenomenal ball over the past month.

Michigan is going to try to slow this game down and force Duke into taking jump shots, which we have a habit of doing in close games this year. So I hope it isn't close, because Michigan, as others have pointed out, is very good at closing out on jump shots, although they aren't great against the drive.

I think Beilein will mix in zone just to test it, but I agree he'll go man, cause we will destroy any zone Michigan employs.

gam7
03-19-2011, 03:35 AM
This tournament could turn into somewhat of a trip down memory lane from Duke national championships past. It is not inconceivable that we end up playing our finals opponents from our first three national championships (Michigan, Arizona, Kansas).

Bandy
03-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Very long time reader, first time poster here - Duke alum (03) currently in grad school at Michigan.

The main reason Beilein does not play the 1-3-1 in B10 is because, Izzo, Bo and other coaches in the conference have very good systems to open up the zone, even with just good passing. Sometimes a team in the B10 will go zone (1-3-1, 2-3 or 1-2-2) just to slow the game down if they have a good lead, but MSU often gets a shot off against even those under 10 seconds (Izzo calls it the 1-3-1 special offense).

I have been watching the Michigan basketball team for 3 years and they are very smart. Do not expect them to be overconfident or stupid. The freshmen are well, freshmen, but otherwise it is a smart, scrappy, workman-like team worthy of the midwestern school it represents. Their height disadvantage ends up as an issue only if the rebounding opportunity is off of drives to the basket. On long rebounds off of three point attempts and loose balls, they end up having a very good chance and fight hard. They rotate over very well on defense, hence the ton of charge calls against Tennessee today.

Lastly, as a team, their shot gets better over the course of the game and Hardaway Jr. has consistently made some very difficult shots over the last couple of months. I expect Duke to go in early and then spread the ball out from the post on relocations.

GO DUKE!

dukelifer
03-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Very long time reader, first time poster here - Duke alum (03) currently in grad school at Michigan.

The main reason Beilein does not play the 1-3-1 in B10 is because, Izzo, Bo and other coaches in the conference have very good systems to open up the zone, even with just good passing. Sometimes a team in the B10 will go zone (1-3-1, 2-3 or 1-2-2) just to slow the game down if they have a good lead, but MSU often gets a shot off against even those under 10 seconds (Izzo calls it the 1-3-1 special offense).

I have been watching the Michigan basketball team for 3 years and they are very smart. Do not expect them to be overconfident or stupid. The freshmen are well, freshmen, but otherwise it is a smart, scrappy, workman-like team worthy of the midwestern school it represents. Their height disadvantage ends up as an issue only if the rebounding opportunity is off of drives to the basket. On long rebounds off of three point attempts and loose balls, they end up having a very good chance and fight hard. They rotate over very well on defense, hence the ton of charge calls against Tennessee today.

Lastly, as a team, their shot gets better over the course of the game and Hardaway Jr. has consistently made some very difficult shots over the last couple of months. I expect Duke to go in early and then spread the ball out from the post on relocations.

GO DUKE!

This will be a close game against a well coached team. Duke's D and rebounding will have to be the difference makers here. Duke should prevail but I do not expect a walk in the park. K will have them prepared.

budwom
03-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Duke's going to pressure the ball from start to finish, something that didn't occur to Bruce Pearl. We're not going to stand around and watch them hoisting threes...they'll at least have to work for them.

p.s. On an ironical note, after all the hoopla about the Fab Five and Duke, this Michigan team looks like one of the whitest in the tournament.

dukemsu
03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
This post is clearly filled with bias...lol at Darius Morris for driving past all 5 guys then telling Kalis Lucas what's up...Lucas talks a ton of trash too, except his game is on the decline, whereas Morris is improving very quickly. Morris is a great competitor and really craft player, although he can't shoot very well. I am biased too but I don't think people are giving Michigan enough credit based on the fact that they are playing phenomenal ball over the past month.

Michigan is going to try to slow this game down and force Duke into taking jump shots, which we have a habit of doing in close games this year. So I hope it isn't close, because Michigan, as others have pointed out, is very good at closing out on jump shots, although they aren't great against the drive.

I think Beilein will mix in zone just to test it, but I agree he'll go man, cause we will destroy any zone Michigan employs.

Bias? Sure, probably. But I left out the Lucas/Morris stuff, in which both players behaved like children. Morris can be taken off his game, and he's been benched by Beilein on a couple of occasions for getting out of control. Thought it was a relevant point, especially as he's going to be playing against a very experienced team that has seen this sort of thing dozens of times. I also clearly said that Morris is a talented and improving player.

Michigan has indeed been playing well. But they face a different animal tomorrow, not to mention one that its favorite alumnus spent the better part of a week insulting on national television.

dukemsu

MChambers
03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know how quickly the replays of the games go up?

I'm going to have to miss most of the game on Sunday, because my daughter is playing a concert in the DC youth orchestra Sunday afternoon. I'd like to watch it when we get home, but don't know if they post the replays immediately.

wavedukefan70s
03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
It may not make a difference.but i like the fact that Michigan had four players with over 30 minutes.three of them with thirty-four or better.where duke had no one over twenty-four minutes.i'd like it better if it was a one day break.i believe duke can out rebound michigan .my only worry is they are smaller and quicker at some positions.i have no doubt duke will be ready.

cptnflash
03-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know how quickly the replays of the games go up?

I'm going to have to miss most of the game on Sunday, because my daughter is playing a concert in the DC youth orchestra Sunday afternoon. I'd like to watch it when we get home, but don't know if they post the replays immediately.

No replays available that I'm aware of. CBS's online coverage is awful. They need to outsource that part to ESPN.

Dukegbw3
03-19-2011, 10:40 AM
The largest starter for Mich is 6'8". Singler is a huge matchup problem for them on defense. They will have to put a 6'4 or 6'5 combo guard on him, which K will respond by running sets to isolate Singler and put him in the post or on a wing to drive when they run man. If they run zone, we put mason or kelly at the charity stripe to distribute or have kyrie/nolan penetrate and dish.

Regardless of what defensive set they use, the big men inside need to impose their will and destroy them on the glass, which I believe they will. Miles looked fantastic yesterday on both sides of the ball and looks to be playing his best basketball of the year. The matchup problems described herein make the 12 point Vegas spread in favor of us deserved - and comparable to the "3rd round" matchups the other 1 seeds are seeing: George Mason, Butler, Illinois. I would argue Illinois would be the team of these 4 that I would least like to see (great senior leadership, efficient guards, a huge center who sucks up the paint).

DukeBlueHeart4
03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
No replays available that I'm aware of. CBS's online coverage is awful. They need to outsource that part to ESPN.

There are replays on www.ncaa.com as part of their March Madness on Demand feature. I'm not sure how quickly they go up though.

cptnflash
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Did Michigan really start playing better in the second half of the Big 10 season, or did their schedule just get a lot easier? After starting 1-6, they went 8-3 the rest of the way to finish 9-9 and sneak into the NCAA field. But who did they beat? Those eight wins were against:

Michigan State x2
Iowa x2
Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
Minnesota

Meanwhile, the three games they lost were against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

My opinion is that Michigan is a mediocre team at best, and is a good matchup for us stylistically on top of that. Unless we are ice cold from outside (always a possibility), tomorrow's game will not be close.

cptnflash
03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
There are replays on www.ncaa.com as part of their March Madness on Demand feature. I'm not sure how quickly they go up though.

Are you sure? I see links for Recap and Highlights, but no replays going all the way back to the start of the tournament.

If anyone has successfully found a full game replay (not highlights), please link. Thanks!

DukeBlueHeart4
03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Are you sure? I see links for Recap and Highlights, but no replays going all the way back to the start of the tournament.

If anyone has successfully found a full game replay (not highlights), please link. Thanks!

I watched the replay of the Hampton game last night. :D When you click on Highlights there should be another tab that says Replay.

dukemsu
03-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Did Michigan really start playing better in the second half of the Big 10 season, or did their schedule just get a lot easier? After starting 1-6, they went 8-3 the rest of the way to finish 9-9 and sneak into the NCAA field. But who did they beat? Those eight wins were against:

Michigan State x2
Iowa x2
Penn State
Northwestern
Indiana
Minnesota

Meanwhile, the three games they lost were against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

My opinion is that Michigan is a mediocre team at best, and is a good matchup for us stylistically on top of that. Unless we are ice cold from outside (always a possibility), tomorrow's game will not be close.

They got a break with the schedule, but people will tell you that the OSU games were close (except at the BTT, where they hit threes late to pull a double-digit lead close) and that the Wisconsin game was a loss due to a lucky shot, despite the fact that UM failed to close the game at the foul line. Of course, most of their victories were by slim margins as well.

They're not a mediocre team. They're a good team that runs its system well. They're pretty disciplined, but their weaknesses (dribble penetration, rebounding, dependence on 3 point shooting) are bad matchups against Duke. They will have to shoot a crazy percentage from 3 to beat Duke.

dukemsu

moonpie23
03-19-2011, 10:55 AM

don't go bringing logic into the situation bob....:rolleyes:

simmias
03-19-2011, 11:13 AM
don't go bringing logic into the situation bob....:rolleyes:
I might be crazy, but I think the other posters were saying Duke lost by not attacking the zone and instead settled for threes. I don't believe anybody brought up shooting poorly from three. Those stats show that Duke shot the same percentage from three, but attempted 14 more of them. How does that not support the claim that Duke settled for more threes in the second game?

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Those stats show that Duke shot the same percentage from three, but attempted 14 more of them. How does that not support the claim that Duke settled for more threes in the second game?

The point I was attempting to make is we lost because we didn't play defense in the second game. Duke allowed Michigan to score 25 more points in the second game than they did in the first game. Poor defense was a bigger factor than the number of 3s attempted. Of course, the second game was in Ann Arbor, while the first game was in Madison Square Garden.

davekay1971
03-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Currently Kenpom.com is projecting a 73-61 win for Duke (87% chance of a Duke victory). I don't know if Kenpom is counting the Charlotte game as a home game for Duke, an away game given the expected predominance of baby blue in the stands, or a neutral site.

Kenpom is also projecting a 81-77 win for Carolina (64% chance of a Carolina victory).

Can't wait to see the game, since work kept me from seeing the Return of Kyrie live yesterday...

grossbus
03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
FWIW, the shot the 1-3-1 gives up is the corner J. do we have anyone that can shoot that?
;)

Billy Dat
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I was just scrolling through the team stats since the regular season finale to try and quantify what seems like an improved performance on the boards, especially the offensive boards. Miles moving into the starting line-up has coincided with him increasing his activity on the offensive glass. I think it makes a big difference for us. In fact, the coaching adjustments made since the end of the regular season seem to be paying big dividends, especially:

-Miles starting. All of a sudden, we've got a really athletic front line.
-Andre being handed more challenging defensive assignments. I think it helps him get into the game earlier which makes him more aggressive offensively

With Kyrie's return, it provides a very dangerous second squad with Kyrie, Ryan and Andre joining whomever isn't in foul trouble, allows Nolan to get a little more rest, etc.

Now that Kyrie has started really testing that toe, I want to see him try and put on the afterburners for one of those end to end runs.

wilson
03-19-2011, 12:25 PM
FWIW, the shot the 1-3-1 gives up is the corner J. do we have anyone that can shoot that?
;)Some kid, I believe it's a Seth Somethingorother, has put a couple of those in recently.

BluDvlsN1
03-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Really lots of great points, and yes we have the outside shooting to penalize the zone!
I think it brings the "bigs' into play even more, big time!! The Plum's and Kelly, in and out on the baseline will damage the 1-3-1...with the guards penetrating and dishing, if M, does not adjust with help defense, the big's will be lovin life, even more.. if the zone sags.. opens the 3 ball...It will be fun seeing it play out!!

I too, am curious about Kyries integration back into play... here's what I think is laughable...the "Duke Haters".. have to be thinking...They win the ACC tournament
with decisive defense and an awesome offensive display!..Now they add KI to the mix...

With the development of the overall team in recent months, I really don't believe the re-integration will be a problem, I think it will act more like a springboard to more options, than in the early season...Frank Martin is on the right track but not exactly correct...no team is "undefensible"..but we will create a ton of headaches for Michigan,et al!

And finally, If we play with the defensive ball pressure that closed out the ACC championship...transition points will be numerous... and render the 1-3-1, impotent!

BD80
03-19-2011, 02:15 PM
... -Miles starting. All of a sudden, we've got a really athletic front line. ...

With Kyrie's return, it provides a very dangerous second squad with Kyrie, Ryan and Andre ...

Miles' emergence is paralleling Zoubek's last year ... he still needs the beard though.

Kyrie and any random four DBR regulars would be a dangerous second squad ...

PSurprise
03-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Miles' emergence is paralleling Zoubek's last year ... he still needs the beard though.

Did I see a little shadow on Miles last night, or was I seeing things? Could this be the beginning of the Plumbeard?

JMarley50
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Really lots of great points, and yes we have the outside shooting to penalize the zone!
I think it brings the "bigs' into play even more, big time!! The Plum's and Kelly, in and out on the baseline will damage the 1-3-1...with the guards penetrating and dishing, if M, does not adjust with help defense, the big's will be lovin life, even more.. if the zone sags.. opens the 3 ball...It will be fun seeing it play out!!

I too, am curious about Kyries integration back into play... here's what I think is laughable...the "Duke Haters".. have to be thinking...They win the ACC tournament
with decisive defense and an awesome offensive display!..Now they add KI to the mix...

With the development of the overall team in recent months, I really don't believe the re-integration will be a problem, I think it will act more like a springboard to more options, than in the early season...Frank Martin is on the right track but not exactly correct...no team is "undefensible"..but we will create a ton of headaches for Michigan,et al!

And finally, If we play with the defensive ball pressure that closed out the ACC championship...transition points will be numerous... and render the 1-3-1, impotent!

Yeah I don't think that Michigan playing a 1-3-1 would be a great idea. If they do, I think we'll see Ryan in the middle a lot with Mason working the baseline. If Ryan is in the middle they will be forced to collapse on him when he gets it because he can hit that free throw line jumper all day long. If they collapse, he'll have Mason 1 on 1 underneath with room to work and a couple of snipers posted on the perimeter. I can even see Kyle running the baseline, Ryan in the middle, with Seth, Dre' and Nolan or Kyrie outside. Either way, I like our chances!!

NYBri
03-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Mason was at the foul line against Hampton when they started in the zone. Glad they played zone early. Gave us practice.

NYBri
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Since Duke has the game after UNC's let's hope that Duke continues their fast starts so it takes the crowd out of the game. I still think Duke wins on Sunday but a slow start and Michigan hits a couple of 3s then we could be pacing back and forth in front of the TV (and by we I mean me).

I'll be pacing with you.

watzone
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/kyrie-irving-talks-michigan-second-game-back/ Kyrie Irving vids from about an hour ago in Charlotte.

Also added, Kyle Singler, Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/player-interviews/

tbyers11
03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Currently Kenpom.com is projecting a 73-61 win for Duke (87% chance of a Duke victory). I don't know if Kenpom is counting the Charlotte game as a home game for Duke, an away game given the expected predominance of baby blue in the stands, or a neutral site.

Kenpom is also projecting a 81-77 win for Carolina (64% chance of a Carolina victory).

Can't wait to see the game, since work kept me from seeing the Return of Kyrie live yesterday...

KenPom is counting it as a semi-home game for both Duke and UNC tomorrow. He says that he gives half the amount of home court advantage in cases like these.

dukelifer
03-19-2011, 04:56 PM
They got a break with the schedule, but people will tell you that the OSU games were close (except at the BTT, where they hit threes late to pull a double-digit lead close) and that the Wisconsin game was a loss due to a lucky shot, despite the fact that UM failed to close the game at the foul line. Of course, most of their victories were by slim margins as well.

They're not a mediocre team. They're a good team that runs its system well. They're pretty disciplined, but their weaknesses (dribble penetration, rebounding, dependence on 3 point shooting) are bad matchups against Duke. They will have to shoot a crazy percentage from 3 to beat Duke.

dukemsu

Duke is also playing better than they have all year. The passing is better- the big men are playing better- the D is more disruptive and the role guys are contributing on both ends of the court. And then there is Kyrie- who even if not 100%- can spell Smith and can break pressure. That is about as much as you can ask for at this point in the season.

Indoor66
03-19-2011, 05:03 PM
What I like about Kyrie being active is that it adds an additional gear to our transmission.

BluDvlsN1
03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
What I like about Kyrie being active is that it adds an additional gear to our transmission.

When opposing coaches were trying to figure a game plan for us, it
had so many components to deal with, beyond difficult, what do you address
and with whom (match ups), with KI in the mix....Pick your poison !!!

Adjustments will have to be quick and effective and constant with our change in personnel ...no simple task!!!

Spam Filter
03-19-2011, 06:02 PM
To me the key to the game will be our perimeter defense and our rebounding.

And rebounding will not just be about the bigs but the guards as well, Michigan shots a lot of 3s, which on misses will result in long rebounds, ours guards have to be ready to chase down rebounds, if they don't they our size will not matter.

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Did I see a little shadow on Miles last night, or was I seeing things? Could this be the beginning of the Plumbeard?
I posed the same question during the in-game thread yesterday. I mos def saw some stubble, if not an outright beard. Perhaps he is planning on not shaving until he has some more hardware!

Ultrarunner
03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I was just scrolling through the team stats since the regular season finale to try and quantify what seems like an improved performance on the boards, especially the offensive boards. Miles moving into the starting line-up has coincided with him increasing his activity on the offensive glass. I think it makes a big difference for us. In fact, the coaching adjustments made since the end of the regular season seem to be paying big dividends, especially:

-Miles starting. All of a sudden, we've got a really athletic front line.

I dubbed it the "Zoubek Effect" early in the season where the player has really good numbers in the plus/minus, plays solid defense and works hard.

Just needs to grow a beard.... :D

elvis14
03-20-2011, 01:14 AM
The point I was attempting to make is we lost because we didn't play defense in the second game. Duke allowed Michigan to score 25 more points in the second game than they did in the first game. Poor defense was a bigger factor than the number of 3s attempted. Of course, the second game was in Ann Arbor, while the first game was in Madison Square Garden.

Bob, I do agree with you that poor defense contributed to that loss but I also specifically remember watching that game. And I specifically remember yelling at the TV for Duke to stop chucking up so many 3's because even though they were open, we weren't making ANY of them. An open 3 point shot isn't always a good shot if you aren't making any of them (see the way Kyle has adjusted his shooting selection of late). Also, rebounds off of 3's are longer and can start the ball going the other way (which can lead to break downs in defense).

I really like how well Duke has been playing in our last 4 (tournament) games. If we defend the 3, rebound well and have a balanced offense today, I like our chances.

Saratoga2
03-20-2011, 08:23 AM
To me the key to the game will be our perimeter defense and our rebounding.

And rebounding will not just be about the bigs but the guards as well, Michigan shots a lot of 3s, which on misses will result in long rebounds, ours guards have to be ready to chase down rebounds, if they don't they our size will not matter.

Our defense is probably the most important key to the game. I prefer us to play in your face man to man, guard the perimeter and use our depth to keep the pressure on for 40 minutes. I don't like the idea of pressing, as we seem to give up too many easy points that way. Our bigs will need to stay viligant or the back door cuts will be used against us effectively. I think our bigs have improved in that regard later in the season. We also have to avoid picking up silly fouls away from the basket or reaching in.

Rebounding is also a key. We have a size advantage and we need to be aggressive in going for the ball. On the defensive side, we need to have all 5 players involved. I think we are the better half court team, so limiting there offensive rebounds will be important.

They are a good defensive team, and will try to turn us over. We need to avoid unforced errors, like charges and traveling. With our ball handling, that shouldn't be an issue, but we also need to avoid trying to make the spectacular play, in favor of working for a good shot. I have not been a fan of our approach of spreading the floor and letting the clock run down and have Nolan drive off a screen. Others seem to like this approach, but my view is that if often leads to turnovers. I prefer to continue to play our offense and make their defense work until we find a good opportunity. We have a lot of balance now offensively. The key is to ue that balance wisely.

Finally, Our foul shooting seems to come and go of late. Our bigs in particular need to hit a higher percentage of our shots. Maybe it is just about concentration.

weezie
03-20-2011, 08:38 AM
FYI, I rode in the elevator w/Kyrie last night. What a cutie pie! Very friendly guy.
I glanced gown at his foot while he pushed the floor button and it looked fine, normal in socks and adi sandals.

Bob Green
03-20-2011, 09:01 AM

In this excellent article on Miles Plumlee, by Al Featherston, Miles states, "No beard - I need to find a razor."

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&ATCLID=205119719&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob, I do agree with you that poor defense contributed to that loss but I also specifically remember watching that game. And I specifically remember yelling at the TV for Duke to stop chucking up so many 3's because even though they were open, we weren't making ANY of them.

When Michigan runs their 1-3-1 zone at us today, I am sure we will take some 3s so hopefully we make them at a clip better than 22 percent. But Duke is a different team now (as is Michigan) and I hope to see lots of back screens and passes to players underneath the zone for easy baskets.

Finally, Our foul shooting seems to come and go of late. Our bigs in particular need to hit a higher percentage of our shots. Maybe it is just about concentration.

I agree with you that our big guys need to improve from the charity stripe. Miles has done a good job over the first four tournament games making six of nine (.667), which is significantly better than his season average of .593. Unfortunately, over those same four games, Mason has made four of nine (.444), which is right at his season average of .438.

Ryan Kelly is solid at the line with a season average of .783 and has made three of five (.600) over the four games.

sandinmyshoes
03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I worry only about them getting incredibly hot from the three point line. That's always a worry about teams that love to put up shots from the arc. They could be cold from the arc and we blow them out by 30. But if they are just in a zone from the arc, they could extend our defense and expose our big guys to back door cuts.

Papa John
03-20-2011, 10:34 AM

So, what you're saying then is that if Michigan were pitching horseshoes or tossing hand grenades, they'd be in real good shape? ;)

Anyone think Jalen Rose will be invited into the locker room to give the pre-game motivational speech?

jaygdevil11
03-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Let's gooooooo! One game at a time...

MB in MD
03-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I think the biggest danger of the 1-3-1 is that it will suck us in to shooting 3's. That plays into their hands because then it's a crapshoot: if we're on we win; if not, we lose. We can afford to be 2/10 from 3 point range but not 6/30.

I do think, especially with KI back that we are no longer as much of a live-by-the-three-die-by-the three team. I hope especially that Kyle uses his size advantage to get into the paint which he has been doing well, and not stand outside hoisting Js. Michigan has some of the same matchup problems against him that Maryland had, and he did just fine in those games.

ThePublisher
03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Duke by at least fifteen.And I'm really thinking22

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Anyone think Jalen Rose will be invited into the locker room to give the pre-game motivational speech?

Probably not. Jalen isn't going to waste his time with privileged kids from wealthy backgrounds like "uncle tom" hardaway Jr. He is above that.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Duke by at least fifteen.And I'm really thinking22

I really hope you are right but.....

At this point in the tourney, typically you don't get any big/blowout wins. Michigan is too hot right now and well coached.

Lets Go Duke!

BluDvlsN1
03-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the biggest danger of the 1-3-1 is that it will suck us in to shooting 3's. That plays into their hands because then it's a crapshoot: if we're on we win; if not, we lose. We can afford to be 2/10 from 3 point range but not 6/30.

I do think, especially with KI back that we are no longer as much of a live-by-the-three-die-by-the three team. I hope especially that Kyle uses his size advantage to get into the paint which he has been doing well, and not stand outside hoisting Js. Michigan has some of the same matchup problems against him that Maryland had, and he did just fine in those games.

Just my opinion, if they do play the 1-3-1,Kyle, the Plumlee bros,Ryan will have a field day working the basline, they don't match up with size very well! if the played a 2-3 maybe a slightly better chance of managing our bigs. But for me the reality is unless they are prepared to play 40 minutes of hard nose man to man Duke style defense(which you can't turn on and off like a light switch), they have monumental task!

Nolan,Seth,Andre,KI...will either penetrate and score and or dish, or drop a three as the situation dictates!

The guard matchups will be key and fun to watch regarding who get's turned over, I very much like our experience and talent (obviously biased) !

No team can be taken lightly, ever, but this is how I see it playing out !

Let' s go Duke!!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 12:17 PM
FYI, I rode in the elevator w/Kyrie last night. What a cutie pie! Very friendly guy.
I glanced gown at his foot while he pushed the floor button and it looked fine, normal in socks and adi sandals.

What has struck me about KI from the interviews on BDN is his youth. I have to keep remembering that this is a very young man with great talent.

I know I have self interest in mind, but I think he would do well to stay another year to learn a bit more about the game and life before he enters the NBA-I'll-swallow-you-whole world.

I think Ndotsmitty will be incredibly prepared because of his stay at Duke.

Acymetric
03-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea what tickets are going for outside the stadium? I'm trying to decide if I want to make the drive down (last minute, I know) but don't want to get there and find out I need $400 bucks cash to get in. If anyone has been down there already today and wanted to report back it'd be greatly appreciated!

CAT Blue Devil
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Looks like tarheels are out in force in Charlotte today. Hope that UW sends them home.

superdave
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Today should be a much better test for Duke. I'd love to see Miles and Mason battle on the inside to take advantage of their weak rebounding. Any extra shots we can steal will force that zone to change some and could open things up. Seth and Andre's shooting will be needed too. Ryan is another good candidate for the high post because he can hit the 10 footer consistently.

With all the balance we've seen the last 4 games, I'm hoping that continues and everyone contributes more than a little. Also, I'd love to start fast out of the gate and take any Unc crowd out of it.

-bdbd
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
To me the key to the game will be our perimeter defense and our rebounding. ....And rebounding will not just be about the bigs but the guards as well, Michigan shots a lot of 3s, which on misses will result in long rebounds, ours guards have to be ready to chase down rebounds, if they don't the(n) our size will not matter. I agree, but think that our guards are generally good rebounders. Important that they be/stay fired-up and ready to scrap hard for those long rebounds and loose balls.

Our defense is probably the most important key to the game. I prefer us to play in your face man to man, guard the perimeter and use our depth to keep the pressure on for 40 minutes. I don't like the idea of pressing, as we seem to give up too many easy points that way. Our bigs will need to stay viligant or the back door cuts will be used against us effectively....Rebounding is also a key. We have a size advantage and we need to be aggressive in going for the ball. On the defensive side, we need to have all 5 players involved. I think we are the better half court team, so limiting there offensive rebounds will be important. ...They are a good defensive team, and will try to turn us over. We need to avoid unforced errors, like charges and traveling. With our ball handling, that shouldn't be an issue, but we also need to avoid trying to make the spectacular play, in favor of working for a good shot. The key is to use (our offensive) balance wisely. Our defense has been very good of late and I expect to see that continue. Intensity is critical. I think this is a pretty good match-up for us given our good perimeter D and 4-person ballhandling. I think we'll see multiple guys handling the ball to beat their 3/4-court trapping, but we need to make them pay when we beat those traps. I think I read that they aren't, generally, a great rebounding team, and I think our size will tell there over time.

When Mich runs their 1-3-1 zone at us today, I am sure we will take some 3s so hopefully we make them at a clip better than 22 percent. ...I hope to see lots of back screens and passes to players underneath the zone for easy baskets. ...our big guys need to improve from the charity stripe. Miles has done a good job over the first four tournament games making six of nine (.667), which is significantly better than his season average of .593. Unfortunately, over those same four games, Mason has made four of nine (.444), which is right at his season average of .438. I agree, as I think we need to use our size advantage A LOT. They really have no answer for it. This could be a great game for Nolan and Kyrie penetration assists. Re the FT's, there will come a time in this tournament, maybe today, where our bigs hitting FT's will be decisive, one way or the other.

I worry only about them getting incredibly hot from the three point line. That's always a worry about teams that love to put up shots from the arc. They could be cold from the arc and we blow them out by 30. But if they are just in a zone from the arc, they could extend our defense and expose our big guys to back door cuts. To me Mich getting hot from the arc, and getting the faded blue "home" crowd into it could be our achillies heel (excuse pun). Good thoughts Sand - hopefully our good perimeter D shows up again today.

Look, this is a quality opponent that is playing well of late, plays great D, can shoot from the perimeter, and are well-coached/disciplined. We need to come in focused. But don't expect to run away from them. I expect a a taut, hard-fought game that probably stays within 10 for most, if not all, of the match.

I sure hope Jalen Rose does show up (which'll motivate our "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es")... :mad:

Papa John
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Probably not. Jalen isn't going to waste his time with privileged kids from wealthy backgrounds like "uncle tom" hardaway Jr. He is above that.

Wait... You thought I meant the Michigan pre-game motivational speech? ;)

BD80
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Would his dad be an "Uncle Tim?"

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Heels fans are going to be bringing it for the Duke game. Now that their boys are moving on and they way they moved on it is going to be crucial that Duke comes out and silences the crowd early. Many have said it already but if Michigan hits some early 3s and Duke struggles this game is going down to the wire.

moonpie23
03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
focus.....we've been playing as a fist...

i love this team !!!!

riverside6
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10271

NYBri
03-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Fast start. Get the crowd out of this thing. Just like the ACCT.

davekay1971
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Here we go! Come out hard, come out fast, and get it done!

SMO
03-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Need to settle down on offense, keep the pressure D up. Michigan looks uncomfortable against tough man-to-man already.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Need to settle down on offense, keep the pressure D up. Michigan looks uncomfortable against tough man-to-man already.

Same could be said by Michigan fans........ Its early, real early

superdave
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
We have a nice size advantage. Looks like we are going small though to to shoot over the zone with Dawkins in for Plumlee. I think Kyle can get some shots off on curls. Hope to see him be active in getting into the lane.

davekay1971
03-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Starting out with high intensity, but very sloppy.

Kyle came to play (not exactly shocking, I know)

davekay1971
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Since work kept me from seeing the Friday game, that right there was my first sight of Kyrie back in uniform and on the floor. Awesome to see...I'm so happy for him to be able to come back and play.

superdave
03-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Starting out with high intensity, but very sloppy.

Kyle came to play (not exactly shocking, I know)

I think Kyle realizes he's going to get good looks going to the rim. He's being aggressive against smaller, slower defenders.

Will be interested to see how Irving fares with the starters against a better team. His penetration could get us some open looks.

Our D showed up today - very intense!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:04 PM
They can't handle Singler on the drive.

SMO
03-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Same could be said by Michigan fans........ Its early, real early

You should call Alejandro...

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
We're playing pretty good D but really need to capitalize on some their miscues. Yay, Kyle made a 3!!!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Keep this up and it will be tough on M.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
....he will be very tough to handle. Up by 7 at the commercial break. Got to get KI involved now.

SMO
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
We're playing pretty good D but really need to capitalize on some their miscues. Yay, Kyle made a 3!!!

Still early though. Just wanted to beat Chris R to it.

wgl1228
03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
All these commercials are starting to bother me! Good D though so far and Kyle has come to play.

Eternal Outlaw
03-20-2011, 03:13 PM
#4 doesn't do anything but push off his defender.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
They will do that all afternoon.

pfrduke
03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
We're getting lost on switches off the ball a little bit on defense. I think that will sort itself out as the game goes on.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
They will do that all afternoon.

And they're apt to win if we don't stop it. Our rotations have to account for Novak. So far we've done a horrible job of that and he's had some wide open looks.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 03:22 PM
You know, we really excel at fouling guys AND letting them make layups. Jeez!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
The last 6 trips, they score 3 and we score 2. Odd.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Missing a lot of open looks..... but still up 5. Knock some of those down and we can take control of this game. Big final 3 minutes of the half here

AZLA
03-20-2011, 03:30 PM
attack! attack! attack!

Duke needs to push this into a running game

SMO
The last 6 trips, they score 3 and we score 2. Odd.

Nice balance to the offense. Need to keep challenging off the dribble and tighten the D. They are experienced at exploiting the small v. Big matchups on offense.

FerryFor50
Michigan is getting open looks off of some moving screens/illegal picks where they trip our defenders... would be nice if that got called.

And I don't think I've ever seen a "bench warning" call in a game. Usually it's a T.

uh_no
Big final 3 minutes of the half here

Every 3 minutes is big in the tournament

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Is anyone else getting uncomfortable with this Michigan team just "hanging" around? I know I am. So far it's been just about the perfect storm for them. We miss the front end of a one-and-one and they get the long rebound that runs them right into a layup. The threes are dropping for them and they really aren't for us. Seth's had 3 great looks and come up empty so far. The longer this team keeps contact with us the more they (and the crowd) are going to start believing they can win this game. I just hate this type of early round game.

ChrisP
It would also be nice if we could hit an occasional WIDE OPEN 3!

NYBri
Michigan reminds me a little of Butler. Don't want them to hang around.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Is anyone else getting uncomfortable with this Michigan team just "hanging" around? I know I am. So far it's been just about the perfect storm for them. We miss the front end of a one-and-one and they get the long rebound that runs them right into a layup. The threes are dropping for them and they really aren't for us. Seth's had 3 great looks and come up empty so far. The longer this team keeps contact with us the more they (and the crowd) are going to start believing they can win this game. I just hate this type of early round game.

Word, Gary, word indeed!

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
The perfect storm continues as Kyle has now left four points off the board with two missed front ends.

ChrisP
We're not looking too sharp here. Can't believe Kyle's missed 2 front ends of one and one. Getting another chance now though...

NYBri
...not like him. Going to the line for two. Let's go Kyle!

WVDUKEFAN
Damn Kyle. Hit a friggin free throw.

downtowndevil
03-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the way the fouls have gone, we've been left with kind of an odd mix of personnel on the floor. Making it a little harder for the offense to get in sync.

To the team's credit though they are trying to play within the offense and not become totally disjointed letting it turn into the "watch Nolan or Kyle or Kyrie" offense.

Making the front end of a one and one or both when you have two Kyle would be most helpful! Eesh.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Make that 5 points. In a close game that's big. We need a spurt right before halftime.

SMO
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
...not like him. Going to the line for two. Let's go Kyle!

Duke could definitely be up by more. At least they keep drawing fouls like crazy.

BD80
03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
How come um gave up on the zone D? It made me chuckle.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Game on now. If we don't have a huge spurt to begin the 2nd half I look for a dogfight that could leave us going home. We have left so many points at the line today. This lead could be double-digits right now if not for the poor free throw shooting.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 03:42 PM
We are up 4 at half despite:

- Seth and Nolan being in foul trouble
- Missing a lot of open 3's
- Missing way too many free throws
- And they knocked down some big 3's

Its the tourney, it is supposed to be tough.

Lets Go Duke!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
We left too many points on the free throw line, but I think Michigan played about as well as they could and we are still up by 4. Offense didn't get in sync in the first half. Nolan has been quiet. First 5 minutes in the second half are big.

I feel good about where we are, but we have to make free throws and get on a run.

ns7
We're getting lost on switches off the ball a little bit on defense. I think that will sort itself out as the game goes on.

Good observation--I hope it does. One that really stood out was when Mason and Kyrie both fell off of the shooter giving him an open look.

If we hit FTs and guard the 3 point shots we should be fine...

CLW
I'm not sure extending the man pressure is the best way to go. It hasn't created any turnovers and has led to some drives and kick for wide open 3s.

Tucknut
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Second half might be a good time to utilize Thornton's defensive prowess.

dukelifer
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
attack! attack! attack!

Duke needs to push this into a running game

There is one play that is working- Give the ball to Kyrie and let him drive and get fouled. Can't miss throws against a well coached team.

ns7
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Pomeroy has us at 91% at halftime...

_Gary
03-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Its the tourney, it is supposed to be tough.

It's not so much being up by only four that worries me. It's the way it's happened. Just feels like one of those "perfect storm" scenarios. The better team (us) missing open 3's and leaving at least 8 points at the foul line, while the lesser team makes a bunch of 3's and keeps contact through the entire first half. I think the first four minutes of the 2nd half will tell the tale. Either we pull away with a solid spurt or they maintain contact and we end up being in a serious dogfight.

NashvilleDevil
Many have said it already but if Michigan hits some early 3s and Duke struggles this game is going down to the wire.

Was afraid of this. Duke does get the ball after the half and they need to take it to them in the first 4 minutes. This game is going down to the wire I think and Duke needs to start making some free throws.

moonpie23
duke has expended a lot of energy with the pressure D in the first half....hopefully, they've used up more...

GOT to keep them from getting those open 3's.....altho, they have missed a few towards the end of the half..

kyrie can get a foul called on his guy just about anytime he wants to....

they ALL need to hit those free throws...

pfrduke
03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Plus/minusing the first half

Irving 18-12 (+6)
Mason 27-22 (+5)
Singler 37-33 (+4)
Curry 10-6 (+4)
Smith 33-31 (+2)
Kelly 24-24 (0)
Dawkins 22-22 (0)
Miles 14-15 (-1)

For Michigan:
Horford 5-3 (+2)
Morris 24-24 (0)
Morgan 9-9 (0)
McLimans 2-3 (-1)
Douglass 33-35 (-2)
Novak 33-37 (-4)
Vogrich 15-19 (-4)
Smotrycz 17-22 (-5)
Hardaway 27-33 (-6)

ChrisP
If the stats I'm looking at on ESPN are correct, we are shooting 10-11 from two point range. Pretty impressive. Unfortunately, we're only shooting 27% from three though :(

I think that if we can do what Collin said at half - i.e. stay in front of the dribbler so there's less of having to recover on UM's three point shooters, and then we can hit some decent percentage of 3's ourselves and stop missing FT's like there's no tomorrow, we'll be just fine. Lots of "ifs" though...

Bluedevil114
I expect us to make halftime adjustments on defense. Our team can now be more aggressive with Nolan with two and Kyle with one. Kyrie affords us five more fouls to push the tempo.

A run is coming. Duke should be up by ten or more. A run is coming.

Chitowndevil
I don't get why we're switching everything at the top of the key. They're running a pretty basic sequence and simply waiting until they get a matchup with one of our bigs with an open lane. Michigan actually doesn't make that great a percentage on 3s (despite shooting a lot of them) and our bigs have been really good showing and recovering on ball screens in the last few weeks.

arnie
Was afraid of this. Duke does get the ball after the half and they need to take it to them in the first 4 minutes. This game is going down to the wire I think and Duke needs to start making some free throws.

Yes, this team scares me - shouldn't be within 10 points of us. We're not able to turn them over and run

Saratoga2
03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
The offense is fairly balanced, although I would like to see Andre take a shot once in a while.

We are certainly not doing a good job on the 3 point line, otherwise we are playing hard and not giving up a lot of looks. Our free throw shooting was not so good, other than Kyrie. Too many turnovers as well. I had Mason with 3, Miles and Kyle with one each and Nolan with a charge. Mason's were the worst and he appeared to be making nervous plays. Seth wasn't able to get his shot going. Andre is playing good defense and isn't making turnovers so I hope he continues to get PT. His size at guard is also important.

This will be a close game throughout so we need to play 40 intense minutes. We have a very big size advantage which it would great to exploit. Lets get this game.

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
We need to force tempo. Seriously, this should be pedal to the metal time. If Kyrie is all the way back, let's see him put this car in 5th gear and leave Michigan a lap behind.

Defensively, we seem to be losing focus halfway through our possessions. I really don't like the way this is going. It looks like we'll probably hang on but all the missed free throws and wasted possessions are troubling.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 03:55 PM
If I were a Louisville fan, I'd be a bit pissed that Pitino was in the studio being all happy and everything.

...and, Charles Barkley is an idiot.

That's just me.

SECOND HALF, GO DEVILS!!!

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Defensively, we seem to be losing focus halfway through our possessions. I really don't like the way this is going. It looks like we'll probably hang on but all the missed free throws and wasted possessions are troubling.

I counted 3 or 4 forced passes when Michigan was in zone. Shaping up as a one of those perfect storm games. Like you said need to come out at half and increase the lead.

SMO
03-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Good observation--I hope it does. One that really stood out was when Mason and Kyrie both fell off of the shooter giving him an open look.

If we hit FTs and guard the 3 point shots we should be fine...

This is the one risk I see with Kyrie out there. Having not played man to man with frequent switches in months, he has to be out of synch. That said, he's giving Big Blue fits at the other end.

Dukegbw3
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
No reason to hit the panic button. We're in good shape. We still look like the better team; and they've shown good effort to keep it close. Free throws should start to fall. We need to keep exerting our will on the glass, keep the ball pressure up, and all will be fine.

GO DUKE!!

Tucknut
03-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Sure, there's danger here. But I feel a big second half coming. Sweet 16 bound.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
If we don't assert control sometime in this 2nd half, I'm going to be concerned for our future games should be fortunate enough to win today. This really should not be a close game...

AAA1980
03-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Put Kyrie in there..We simply dont have enough scorers without him..

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Ugh. Not the way you want to start the 2nd half. Looks to me like the team thought the game didn't start until 4:45 or something...

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Man are they calling this game tight.

Our offense looks terrible right now. I'm very concerned. Thank goodness our D is giving them problems.

tendev
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Missing just too many shots. This is too much to take.

NYBri
Nolan time.

gumbomoop
K is unhappy with the lack of energy. I'd guess his intensity in this early timeout is ... intense.

_Gary
Wow, our offense has been horrible coming out of the half. Not at all surprised K called an early TO. We are way off our game and are probably lucky to even still be up by four right now. We've given Michigan two wide open 3's here in the second half and we are lucky they've missed both, along with botching a fast break. I just can't believe we are playing this poorly right now. I'm very worried.

FireOgilvie
Kyrie needs to be back in there and he needs to be aggressive. Curry isn't giving us much.

FerryFor50
03-20-2011, 04:10 PM
If we don't assert control sometime in this 2nd half, I'm going to be concerned for our future games should be fortunate enough to win today. This really should not be a close game...

Why shouldn't it be?

Michigan's style of play causes games to be close. They're slow, deliberate and shoot/make a lot of 3s. Couple that with the 1-3-1 zone and it causes low scoring games that are normally closer than they should be.

The lost by a combined 13 points in 2 games to Ohio St and by 7 to Kansas. They're fully capable of hanging with top teams.

Utley
03-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't remember K taking his jacket off all year but I could be wrong. Either way its a clear signal to step up. Looks like he told Nolan to take over.

SMO
03-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Man are they calling this game tight.

Our offense looks terrible right now. I'm very concerned. Thank goodness our D is giving them problems.

Calling it tight should help Duke. They are quicker and better skilled. Let's hope Kyle keeps driving. They cannot handle him.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Why shouldn't it be?

Michigan's style of play causes games to be close. They're slow, deliberate and shoot/make a lot of 3s. Couple that with the 1-3-1 zone and it causes low scoring games that are normally closer than they should be.

The lost by a combined 13 points in 2 games to Ohio St and by 7 to Kansas. They're fully capable of hanging with top teams.

Look, if we'd hit even 2 of the WIDE OPEN 3's in the first half and Kyle was his usual solid self at the FT line, it would not be a close game. It just..wouldn't

g-money
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Let's keep in mind that Michigan played both Ohio State and Kansas close this year. They're a good team. We're having trouble running a smooth offense right now, but in large part that's due to their solid D. We'd be wise to try to speed up the game if possible (i.e. through forced turnovers and runouts).

Luckily Nolan is there to help us out with a tough three! He's got ice in his veins this year. Let's Go Duke!

_Gary
It's the little things that are driving me crazy. A minute ago Miles poked the ball away from the guy he was guarding and the ball bounces off Singler's backside and right back to the Michigan player who then just takes the ball to the rim for a layup. We had actually played great defense and 9 times out of 10 we would have had the ball. But it's these little "unlikely" things that are allowing the perfect storm to keep brewing and growing stronger. Hope Kyrie can help us get more aggressive and lead to some easy hoops.

FerryFor50
Calling it tight should help Duke. They are quicker and better skilled. Let's hope Kyle keeps driving. They cannot handle him.

Plus Duke is deeper... already UM has some key guys in some foul troubles.

Bandy
03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
our team needs some. Also, very poor rotation on the shooters outside. I dont want a nailbiter.

NYBri
nolan time!!!!!!! Nolan rules!!!!!!

FerryFor50
Look, if we'd hit even 2 of the WIDE OPEN 3's in the first half and Kyle was his usual solid self at the FT line, it would not be a close game. It just..wouldn't

And if UM hadn't hit 4 threes in a row in the first, it also wouldn't have been close... that's what happens in NCAA tourny games.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank goodness for Nolan but I don't think any of his last 3 shots he's taken were good shots. Fortunately, he's awesome and so they went in but still...

Ping Lin
Ankle breaker!!!!!

devildownunder
Nolan, whew!

I was really hoping we wouldn't exactly need heroics today though.

FerryFor50
03-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Nolan just Tim Hardawayed Tim Hardaway Jr... you'd think he'd have been used to that from his dad. ;)

NYBri
nnnnnnnoooooooolllllaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

_Gary
Super-Nolan to the rescue!!!!

pfrduke
Thank goodness for Nolan but I don't think any of his last 3 shots he's taken were good shots. Fortunately, he's awesome and so they went in but still...

That was a good one ;)

BD80
At the TO, K got in Nolan's face and asked: "do want this to be your last game in a Duke uniform? Then go out and win the f----ng game!"

Or words to that effect.

RoyalBlue08
I don't think Nolan is ready to be done with college basketball just yet!

ChrisP
And if UM hadn't hit 4 threes in a row in the first, it also wouldn't have been close... that's what happens in NCAA tourny games.

Whatever, dude. All I'm saying is that if DUKE had played up to their recent standard, it wouldn't be close - even with UM's excellent three point shooting.

COYS
Nolan, whew!

I was really hoping we wouldn't exactly need heroics today though.

Nolan's doing a J-will 2001 impression with his own consecutive points scored streak!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
when kyle pumped faked it there, he had a clear path to the basket, why the pull up?

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
'Dre for three all the way from Ann Arbor!!! Keep the heel on the throat.

Kfanarmy
when kyle pumped faked it there, he had a clear path to the basket, why the pull up? Michigan has shown some pretty good speed in recovering...may be on Kyle's mind a bit.

devildownunder
Critical phase right now. From here to the next TV timeout we either put this away of Michigan turns it into a fight to the finish.

Let's go Duke!

Get in that lane and attack, Kyle! C'mon!

COYS
03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Glad that three went in for Andre. Love seeing the confidence. But that shot was almost three feet behind the NBA line! If that hadn't gone in, he might've been heading to the bench, haha.

Tucknut
Kyle looks a bit worn but Dre and Nolan are definitely feeling it.

_Gary
Other than Nolan's incredible burst and Dre's long 3, I still am worried about our offense. The defense has gotten better though so hopefully we can weather this storm and move on.

COYS
03-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Other than Nolan's incredible burst and Dre's long 3, I still am worried about our offense. The defense has gotten better though so hopefully we can weather this storm and move on.

The spacing was excellent with the small lineup in there. it gave Nolan room to show why he's a senior All-American. If we can create 1 on 1 matchups for Nolan the rest of the night, I like our chances.

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Michigan has shown some pretty good speed in recovering...may be on Kyle's mind a bit.

Then that's the wrong mindset. Kyle needs to go right at 'em -- LIKE THAT!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Michigan has shown some pretty good speed in recovering...may be on Kyle's mind a bit.

Not a big deal, he's playing well, last basket was great.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Singler with his forth. Not good.

Need to drive against the zone.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Shoot. Game's definitely not over yet. :mad:

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Crap! Kyle with 4 for lots of time left. If we play smart though and continue to play tough D and make them go deep into the shot clock, we should be able to pull it out.

DukieInBrasil
03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Singler should not shoot a single 3pt shot more this year. His FG shooting inside the arc is quite effective, but his 3pt shooting is a liability.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Good TO by the coach. We've lost momentum and need an easy bucket coming out of this Time Out. If we don't score and Michigan comes right back down and does score we are right back to the dogfight after looking like we were going to pull away. Amazing how tenuous this lead is.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Crap!!!!! Dogfight here we come. :(

House G
03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Playing 4 guards and Kelly

NYBri
Irving is attacking the lane...dishing and drawing fouls. That's what you need to do against the 1-3-1.

Kfanarmy
Can Irving pass the ball or WHAT?

AAA1980
Irvings now controlling tempo..Push it down their throats

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
That's the first time today I've seen Kyrie really force tempo with the dribble. If he's going to be out there today -- and if this team is to have a long future in the tournament -- we need him doing that the way he did in December.

Still not there yet.

DukieInBrasil
Kyrie has really helped stop the Michigan run. He hit those 2 FTs to stop the run and then hit Kelly with a really nice pass for a score. Having him + Nolan to handle the zone and the perimeter pressure really makes us much more effective.

FireOgilvie
Kyrie needs to be back in there and he needs to be aggressive. Curry isn't giving us much.

It's working!

I love it that we have Kyrie back to attack on offense.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't expect to see Kelly and the Pips. Interesting. Clearly K thinks Kelly is better able to defend and receive passes than either MP.

Krzyzewskiville
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
It feels great to have not have to worry because Kyles out when you have two players just as good out there still!

dairedevil
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
refs sure are calling this game tight. at least we've started hitting some free throws..

FerryFor50
03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Didn't expect to see Kelly and the Pips. Interesting. Clearly K thinks Kelly is better able to defend and receive passes than either MP.

K has him in there for his offense, as Duke's been sputtering a bit with the Plumlees out there in this zone.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:45 PM
5:54 up by 10. Big next 3 minutes

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
3:20. Up by 8. Gotta make free throws. The MPs will remain seated.

Billy Dat
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
We need to attack this zone on the bounce!

Dukegbw3
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
hope we didn't take the air out of the ball too soon...

tendev
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
We need a stop. Too easy to score and the last possession was not a good one.

WVDUKEFAN
I don't feel good about this one.....

devildownunder
C'mon, a walk-up, 4 stagnant passes and a heave? This team has too much experience to be having possessions that bad at crunch time.

Let's get it together!

g-money
Nolan with a rare ill-advised shot. Gotta stay tough on D and Do Not Give Up Threes.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Michigan's zone is begging us to take the 3 point shot and we are doing so, tired legs lead to missed 3's.

Must win with defense

Lets Go Duke!

Kfanarmy
seem to be milking the clock a bit. would like to see Duke attacking I think. Don't see why Duke want to let the 1 in the 1-3-1 stay involved. push past him and take advantage of the 5 on 4. both Nolan and Kyrie can blow by him as they enter the offensive end of the court.

devildownunder
seem to be milking the clock a bit. would like to see Duke attacking I think. Don't see why Duke want to let the 1 in the 1-3-1 stay involved. push past him and take advantage of the 5 on 4. both Nolan and Kyrie can blow by him as they enter the offensive end of the court.

Agree 100%. I think that should be the strategy.

Dukegbw3
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM

absolutely agree. shouldn't settle for hurried 3 pointers as the shot clock is winding down.

WVDUKEFAN
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
SOB!! C'mon.

Dukegbw3
can't believe what I'm seeing.

ChrisP
That shot clock violation on a veteran team is INEXCUSABLE!!!

Billy Dat
hope we didn't take the air out of the ball too soon...

We did...this sucks...we've got no momentum...someone needs to make a play on either end.

SMO
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Why do they look like they just packed it in and are going home??? This is weird. They look tired.

WVDUKEFAN
If we don't score on this posession, we loose IMO.

kaufmjo
can't believe what I'm seeing.

DOnt allow the three seth for pete's sake. terrible. And just put the ball in nolan's hands

Kfanarmy
up 15, totally quit attacking and have given the lead away

tendev
Playing not to lose.

AlaskanAssassin
I say we play big again with the starters.

devildownunder
Now's the time to break 'em out. Our offense is dead in the water. We are clueless at that end and Michigan, as a result, is brimming with confidence and feeling no pressure at their end.

TheRob8801
03-20-2011, 04:56 PM
We did...this sucks...we've got no momentum...someone needs to make a play on either end.

Wouldn't be the first time a K coached team did this. Need a score and a stop.

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Knuckle biting time. Need to come together and pull this one out.

Irving shouldn't be on the floor. He may feel compelled to do it alone and I afraid he'll try and force it.

Here we go, folks.

Dukegbw3
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Irving!!!!!

WVDUKEFAN
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Don't give up a triple here..............

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
well...i take that back about Irving. :D

TheRob8801
Irving shouldn't be on the floor. He may feel compelled to do it alone and I afraid he'll try and force it.

Totally disagree. That's not the type of player he is.

We need him on the court on both ends. He's a smart basketball player and you need to make smart plays to win games like this.

Billy Dat
1 stop...let's go!!!!

Zerogee
With 50 seconds left - up 1 - you take a shot before the 35 second mark!!! If you make it, you're up 3, and still are guaranteed to get the ball back. If you miss it, and they score within the shot clock, you're guaranteed to have a chance to win the game.

Instead, they just stand around and wait - giving Michigan the chance for the LAST SHOT and THE WIN! That is just basic clock management. What the hell, guys!?!?!

NYBri
03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Do we foul here?

g-money
No threes and do not foul on a three!

BlueThru&Thru
Will your luck hold?