PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 87, Hampton 45 Post-Game Thread

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 05:18 PM
One down...

mr. synellinden
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
If you predicted Kyrie would be our leading scorer in this one, raise your hand.

SCMatt33
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Hot Damn! It didn't happen until a little bit into the second half, but Kyrie's lookin' pretty good.

hudlow
03-18-2011, 05:20 PM

ETA: in keeping with the rules about contributing to the thread...

I have to admit I was impressed with his speed.

wilson
03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
If you predicted Kyrie would be our leading scorer in this one, raise your hand.Wow. Didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Love how balanced we were again today, in a continuation of the way we played in Greensboro. Very solid start; biggest winning margin for any team in the tournament so far.

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
If you predicted Kyrie would be our leading scorer in this one, raise your hand.

Dang it, you said exactly what I was gonna say. I'll admit it, my hand is not raised.

dukelifer
03-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Loved the passing. Miles was a man- something has clicked with him. Really liked seeing Andre's swagger in this game. Took a while- but Kyrie can only go at one speed and that is fast- once he went full out- the confidence came. Nice game for him. Only nagging concern is Singler's shot is still not dropping. But on to game two.

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Loved the passing. Miles was a man- something has clicked with him. Really liked seeing Andre's swagger in this game. Took a while- but Kyrie can only go at one speed and that is fast- once he went full out- the confidence came. Nice game for him. Only nagging concern is Singler's shot is still not dropping. But on to game two.

Agree with all this - I also am looking forward to seeing Nolan's stats. He seemed a bit quiet today. We are going to need him to be his aggressive self from here on out.

NashvilleDevil
is when he got back. Still going to be some rust but that play was straight out of the December Kyrie.

hurley1
keep an eye on dawkins.....

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Only nagging concern is Singler's shot is still not dropping. But on to game two.

Other than missing all but 1 three Singler shot the ball pretty well.

hudlow
03-18-2011, 05:26 PM

I like the way you think...

obsesseddukefan
I didn't expect that. Kyrie is truly an amazing talent on and off the court. I think we will be ok if we can continue this upbeat style of play.

OldPhiKap

Word.

Seth was great too. Miles was the man who got us the spread early.

Bring on Michigan!!!

moonpie23
"you get up in the morning neath the 'larm clock's warning take the eight fifteen into the city"

it seemed as tho the boo-birds didn't get off work in time to make our game......

good game.....

next game...

davekay1971
03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Agree with all this - I also am looking forward to seeing Nolan's stats. He seemed a bit quiet today. We are going to need him to be his aggressive self from here on out.

13 points on 3-7 shooting and 7 assists. Nice efficiency in a game he didn't have to take over.

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Let's show Jalen Rose that Duke still has Michigan's number!

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
13 points on 3-7 shooting and 7 assists. Nice efficiency in a game he didn't have to take over.

Good point - I'll take it.

burns15

Nolan had 9 pts, according to CBS

monkey
Wow - really - Kyrie ended up the leading scorer? That's great/shocking ... could have sworn it was going to be Miles with how he opened the game ... Nolan with only 9 points? Would love to know the final minute count.

Great game by the team!

devildownunder
Kyrie was the leading scorer!:p

I'll be laughing about that one at least until the start of the Michigan game (which could be a real test).

The whole team was sluggish in the first half but we still came out ahead because we were so much bigger. Second half was a much better performance for everybody. The guys will have to step up the intensity in the next round, which shouldn't be a problem. I hope Kyrie's foot is OK; his shot looks great, which is a good sign. We'll learn more about how far he's come when he actually has to play some serious defense. I also hope Dawkins got back a little confidence today.

gwlaw99
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
What time is the Michigan game on Sunday?

wilko
03-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Energy - Check
Focus - Check
Balanced scoring - Check
Defensive movement - Check
Attitude - Check

Kyrie - Cash money

House G
03-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Depth is a beautiful thing.

BlueDster
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
This is the first time that I remember that every scholarship player both played and scored. Pretty Impressive.

CLW
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Solid start. Kyrie got to shake off some rust. Noone was injured. Everyone contributed. Bring on the Fab 5!

Bluedevil114
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Very happy for the team. Starters got a lot of rest. Miles continued his success form the ACC tournament. Andre was attacking the rim today. Kyrie had a very good second half.

*** I think Kyrie was just hybernating for the winter.

marinbobbyduhon
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Nolan had 9 pts, according to CBS

Dre had 13 points, though; on 5-10 shooting according to CBS. I was hoping Kyle would get his 1000th rebound this game, but came up 2 short.

wilson
03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I keep looking at the players' individual scoring totals and wondering at first glance how the heck they add up to 87.
That, to me, is a very positive harbinger. If this team stays that balanced, we are going to be very, very difficult to beat in this tournament.

RoyalBlue08
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I tell you what, it sure is great to have the potential #1 pick in the NBA draft running the "Blue Team". :)

camion
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I keep looking at the players' individual scoring totals and wondering at first glance how the heck they add up to 87.
That, to me, is a very positive harbinger. If this team stays that balanced, we are going to be very, very difficult to beat in this tournament.

This is a very good thing. As you go deeper in the tournament the better teams can take frequently neutralize your first and maybe your second scoring options. If you have a good third option and more you have s serious advantage. One of the reasons we won in 91/92 was that our third option Grant (not too shabby) Hill was superior.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Link to the post-game pc?

Magnolia888
03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Anybody watching the press conference?

The Hampton coach is singing our praises, says the video definitely does not do the Plumlee brothers justice.

I forget sometimes how different things are for the other teams. The players were in awe of just playing in front of a crowd that size, having never done it.

There looked like an awful lot of empty seats though. I was watching on MMOD and couldn't really see much though.

Magnolia888
03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Link to the post-game pc?

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/basketball-men/d1

Coach K is starting right now. He's got Nolan and Mason with him.

WVDUKEFAN
03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
The Arizona vs. Memphis game was on Comcast in the Pittsburgh viewing area, so I didn't get to watch the game. The box score shows Singler came off the bench. Wow. He didn't have too bad of a game according to the box: 4-9 from the floor, 1-3 from behind the arc. We'll take that.

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 05:49 PM
The Arizona vs. Memphis game was on Comcast in the Pittsburgh viewing area, so I didn't get to watch the game. The box score shows Singler came off the bench. Wow. He didn't have too bad of a game according to the box: 4-9 from the floor, 1-3 from behind the arc. We'll take that.

That box score is wrong. We started Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles.

mgtr
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Miles has definitely gotten the word - do not, ever, dribble the ball. Consequently, no silly mistakes. Kyrie, well, I didn't know what to expect, but I sure didn't expect what we got. Unbelievable. Now, some rest and then go again.

Chris Randolph
03-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Solid win, such a huge mismatch across the board.

Very glad Kyrie knocked down some jumpers and showed some acceleration and burst. He was pretty lazy off the ball on defense, gave up some open 3's, hope he cleans that up, can't have it going on against good teams

All in all, a 42 win ain't too bad ;)

Now cheering for the fighting iced teas of Long Island!!!!!!

hurley1
Let's show Jalen Rose that Duke still has Michigan's number!

Remember the 20 point " curb stomping " duke put on fose and his fab 5 ????.......expect a replay of that on sunday......duke is LOADED !!!!

simmias
There looked like an awful lot of empty seats though. I was watching on MMOD and couldn't really see much though.
There were lots of empty seats. The Duke section was half full at tip-off... I was disappointed.

There will be plenty of people cheering against Duke for the Michigan game. Not only was there a pretty vocal Michigan fanbase present for the first game, but there was TONS of baby blue in the arena. And I'm guessing the empty seats will be filled with more baby blue on Sunday.

hurley1
03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
there were lots of empty seats. The duke section was half full at tip-off... I was disappointed.

There will be plenty of people cheering against duke for the michigan game. Not only was there a pretty vocal michigan fanbase present for the first game, but there was tons of baby blue in the arena. And i'm guessing the empty seats will be filled with more baby blue on sunday.

wouldn't want to be a michigan fan right now.....

simmias
03-18-2011, 06:03 PM
wouldn't want to be a michigan fan right now.....
I thought they looked excellent in the second half... although it's quite possible that Tennessee was just that bad. It seemed like every shot Michigan took went in. The crowd started chanting "We want Duke" when they went up by 30.

arnie
03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
What time is the Michigan game on Sunday?

I haven't been able to find the sunday game times either - hopefully they let the team know by noon Sunday.

Saratoga2
03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
It is hard to learn a lot in a mismatch of this proportion. As someone said, one down and no one was injured. In addition, no one played really big minutes.

The items of interest to me were 1) Kyrie came back and looked very good period. It took a few minutes of PT before he started to shake the rust off, but this was the game for it. He showed his drive, three point shot, free throws and ball handling. He also had to play some defense, which gives him a way to test his toe.

I thought Andre's play was also outstanding. His shot fell enough and his drives were aggressive. He also played defense and rebounded well. We will need him as we progress through the tournament, and his confidence and swagger seemed to have returned.

I thought the rest of the team played well and we had a lot of balance today. We had such a size advantage inside that they had no chance. Miles rebounded well and got a few points. People would probably disagree with me when I say he still has problems catching the ball and doing things with it. His best approach is to rebound and made a pass to a guard. Mason is much better at catching and finishing, however, it is great to see Miles making a very solid contribution.

hurley1
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought they looked excellent in the second half... although it's quite possible that Tennessee was just that bad. It seemed like every shot Michigan took went in. The crowd started chanting "We want Duke" when they went up by 30.

Tennessee quit in the locker room at halftime.....duke will play 40 minutes.....they just think they want duke....wait until sunday.....

SuperTurkey
03-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Same. I actually manually added them to verify.

LSanders
03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
The crowd started chanting "We want Duke" when they went up by 30.

They were referring to Duke Nukem. It'll give 'em something to do on their iPads since they will be averting their eyes from the court. :cool:

Ping Lin
03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Three things really surprised me this game:

1) K seriously limited individual player minutes in this game. Smith and Singler had a scant 24 minutes of playing time, almost the equal of Irving. Good to see him flexing his bench muscles of course.

2) There was a definitive "A" and a definitive "B" team. I really expected K to mix Irving's minutes up with the starters, leave him in with the Plumlees and maybe sub for Nolan or Seth. But instead, the vast majority of his minutes came with Kelly, Dawkins, Hairston, and Thornton -- and stayed that way throughout the entire second half. Apparently K is comfortable that no more on-court chemistry needs to be built between Kyrie and the starters during crunch time.

3) The bench didn't jump up and cheer on Kyrie's last pair of treys. Yeah, I know, I'm really spoiled when it comes to Duke and teammates cheering each other on.

Great, great win. Loved that the team was really looking for one another, and was amused by the Plumlee antics in the second half. The team is about as ready for Michigan as it'll ever be.

Atlanta Duke
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
NYT political polls stats guru Nate Silver at the Five Thirty Eight blog notes the blowout

CPU was impressed by Duke's blowout win today. And Irving returning (14 pts, 4 rebs in 20 mins). Now 26% to win title.

http://nyti.ms/eq5hQ6

aka Silver's statistically probable favorite

coldriver10
03-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I haven't been able to find the sunday game times either - hopefully they let the team know by noon Sunday.
I saw noon. I'll see if I can find a link.

watzone
03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Duke v. Hampton photo gallery - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/duke-vs-hampton-photo-gallery/

dyedwab
03-18-2011, 09:36 PM
...and it gave me a different perspective than I usually get.

And I know the story line of the game is how Kyrie played.

But I want to say that what was most impressive to me was the defensive intensity on our side. NOTHING was easy for Hampton the entire game. I realize that they are not close to us talent-wise. But the effort our players gave on the defensive end was impressive.

When you play a team like Hampton that you should beat relatively easily, it's nice to actually do it.

Good win - now let's kick Michigan's butt.

coldriver10
03-18-2011, 09:38 PM
I saw noon. I'll see if I can find a link.
Nevermind. It was the Yahoo bracket, but they changed it to now not listing a time.

DukeBlueHeart4
03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Is there anywhere that I can watch a replay of the Duke-Hampton game online? I'm am absolutely dieing to see Kyrie play! Unfortunately, I had to work the gate at a high school sporting event (something they never told me I'd have to do when I decided to be a teacher lol) and no one would switch with me (hateful Carolina fans!).

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Is there anywhere that I can watch a replay of the Duke-Hampton game online? I'm am absolutely dieing to see Kyrie play! Unfortunately, I had to work the gate at a high school sporting event (something they never told me I'd have to do when I decided to be a teacher lol) and no one would switch with me (hateful Carolina fans!).

I was just about to post this same question. I went to ncaa.com and trutv.com and did not see any replays on those sites.

tbyers11
03-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I was just about to post this same question. I went to ncaa.com and trutv.com and did not see any replays on those sites.

go to ncaa.com/mmod

Click on the highlights for the Duke Hampton game. You will see the highlights as the window in the upper right. There should be a tab that says replay in that window. Click on the play button, maximize it and you can watch the entire Duke game and fast forward thru commercials.

DukeBlueHeart4
03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
go to ncaa.com/mmod

Click on the highlights for the Duke Hampton game. You will see the highlights as the window in the upper right. There should be a tab that says replay in that window. Click on the play button, maximize it and you can watch the entire Duke game and fast forward thru commercials.

Thanks! :D This just made my night!

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Great game by the Devils!

How about that little used freshman, maximizing his time when K put in the Blue team and actually leading the team in scoring! I think he wore Number 1? Anyway, the kid had not scored a single point since like the Butler game way back in December, and he put up 14 points!

Think K might give him some PT with the starters in the game on Sunday?;)

Welcome back Kyrie! We love you man!! Go Duke!

hurley1
03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Three things really surprised me this game:

1) K seriously limited individual player minutes in this game. Smith and Singler had a scant 24 minutes of playing time, almost the equal of Irving. Good to see him flexing his bench muscles of course.

2) There was a definitive "A" and a definitive "B" team. I really expected K to mix Irving's minutes up with the starters, leave him in with the Plumlees and maybe sub for Nolan or Seth. But instead, the vast majority of his minutes came with Kelly, Dawkins, Hairston, and Thornton -- and stayed that way throughout the entire second half. Apparently K is comfortable that no more on-court chemistry needs to be built between Kyrie and the starters during crunch time.

3) The bench didn't jump up and cheer on Kyrie's last pair of treys. Yeah, I know, I'm really spoiled when it comes to Duke and teammates cheering each other on.

Great, great win. Loved that the team was really looking for one another, and was amused by the Plumlee antics in the second half. The team is about as ready for Michigan as it'll ever be.

K may be comfortable with either team on the court........i didn't get to see the game.....how did team A do compared to team B ???

uh_no
03-18-2011, 10:15 PM

I'd think that would probably be the next step. I think we'll see the starters start as per usual, and substitutions much like today, and given the game situation he will be worked into the starting lineup....no doubt they're working together in practice....OR...maybe the brilliance of coach K is to not even bother reintegrating kyrie and playing the A and B team and having two groups of 5 that can run with anyone in the country......probably crazy....but I think that was probably the early plan and will change next weekend (basketball gods willing) when kyrie has had a full week to practice with the team

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
K may be comfortable with either team on the court........i didn't get to see the game.....how did team A do compared to team B ???

Check the +/- thread for your answers. The starters had their way the entire game.

hurley1
03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd think that would probably be the next step. I think we'll see the starters start as per usual, and substitutions much like today, and given the game situation he will be worked into the starting lineup....no doubt they're working together in practice....OR...maybe the brilliance of coach K is to not even bother reintegrating kyrie and playing the A and B team and having two groups of 5 that can run with anyone in the country......probably crazy....but I think that was probably the early plan and will change next weekend (basketball gods willing) when kyrie has had a full week to practice with the team

Irving,Dawkins, Kelly....ain't no joke......thorton is lights out on D and a good ball handler....hairston's got it in him......fresh legs for 40 minutes.....that's pressure.....

Hampton00
03-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I have to say I was somewhat optimistic, but realistic at the same time. You guys came to play, I have never seen defense like that! Damn well done!! I have nothing to say, I can't lie and say deep down inside, I wish you bad luck, but you are a great team. Good Luck and make it happen!!!!
T. Martinez A.K.A Hampton00

UrinalCake
03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks Hampton00. You won't find a more disciplined and prepared team than Duke. We always respect our opponents even if they are overmatched on paper. Thanks for your contributions to the pregame thread. I always enjoy hearing the perspectives of opposing teams' fans, both before and after games, and I think I speak for most here when I say that we always welcome true basketball fans regardless of their allegiance.

juise
03-19-2011, 02:33 AM
I didn't get to watch much of the game live and the replay I just watched was absent of volume (sleeping baby next to me). While watching the replay, I became curious about the #12 patch on Hampton's jerseys. They may have mentioned it, but I found an article about the patch tribute (http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/March-2011/Hampton-perseveres-in-memory-of-fallen-teammate-Th) that I thought was worth sharing.

Like the last time Duke faced a MEAC team in the NCAAT (Delaware State - Coach's son battling sickle cell anemia (http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php?topic=47163.30;wap2)), Hampton has a story of adversity and character building. As a Duke fan, I think it's an honor for Duke to be part of these stories (hopefully not viewed entirely as the villain).

OldPhiKap
03-19-2011, 09:38 AM
I have to say I was somewhat optimistic, but realistic at the same time. You guys came to play, I have never seen defense like that! Damn well done!! I have nothing to say, I can't lie and say deep down inside, I wish you bad luck, but you are a great team. Good Luck and make it happen!!!!

Thanks, Hampton, and please come back any time. I thought Hampton kept fighting and never gave up. This just happens to be one of our bigger and deeper teams over the last few years, which obviously made it tough. But I wish Hampton well in the future and, again, I always like discussing hoops with good fans of all programs such as yourself.

-- OPK

diveonthefloor
03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Looking and looking and looking....

Can't find the full post game press conference online anywhere. Only found about a one minute clip on WRAL's site.

Goduke apparently isn't archiving the tourney pressers?

Anyone know where the links are? Do they exist?

hurley1
03-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Climb on board and take this ride with us.....

freshmanjs
03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Looking and looking and looking....

Can't find the full post game press conference online anywhere. Only found about a one minute clip on WRAL's site.

Goduke apparently isn't archiving the tourney pressers?

Anyone know where the links are? Do they exist?

http://www.ncaa.com/menshighlights

scroll down a little and click on "pressers" just above the highlight clips

ncexnyc
03-19-2011, 10:33 AM
After following the game from work I was very anxious to watch the game once I got home this morning. I can definitely understand why everyone is so pumped up.

I think the biggest thing I take from this game is that our bigs actually played like bigs and completely dominated a smaller team. While Mason, Miles, and Ryan have all had their moments this season. This was the first game where they all played like 6' 10", 6" 11" monsters against a shorter foe. This tells me they've arrived and while they may not have great games against bigger foes they will at least hold their own.

The second major bright spot for me was the play of Dre. The kid was bringing it on both ends of the court, which is what we saw at the start of the season. Not only was he hitting his jumpers, but he had several plays where he went to the rack extremely hard. His effort on defense was also quite obvious.

And last but not least was the return of Kyrie. He got off to a shakey start but those two plays in the second half were vintage Kyrie and showed me that he was totally ready to go. The play where he snagged the rebound and just exploded down the court leaving everyone in his wake was awesome and the steal where he justed accelerated towards the long pass near midcourt and took it twisting and turning towards the hoop was a thing of beauty. Those two deep 3's didn't hurt my impression of his effort one bit.

A very solid effort from every kid on the team.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Great game by the Devils!

How about that little used freshman, maximizing his time when K put in the Blue team and actually leading the team in scoring! I think he wore Number 1? Anyway, the kid had not scored a single point since like the Butler game way back in December, and he put up 14 points!

Welcome back Kyrie! We love you man!! Go Duke!
Fabulous post. That young freshman looked very good in the second half. This was against Hampton though, you think he is good enough to make coach K's rotation against a much better team like Michigan? Should be fun to see.

...and it gave me a different perspective than I usually get.

And I know the story line of the game is how Kyrie played.

But I want to say that what was most impressive to me was the defensive intensity on our side. NOTHING was easy for Hampton the entire game. I realize that they are not close to us talent-wise. But the effort our players gave on the defensive end was impressive.

When you play a team like Hampton that you should beat relatively easily, it's nice to actually do it.

Good win - now let's kick Michigan's butt.

I agree that the defensive intensity against a weaker opponent was very good. I think a lot of posters have been looking for defensive consistency from this team and we have now seen 80 minutes of solid defensive intensity in the last two games. Very exciting to see, and gives me a lot more confidence the team could have a bit of wriggle room in case of a poor shooting stretch.

Neals384
03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Best thing about the game was that Hampton tried zone for a while. Great preparation for Michigan! Miles shoujld be nicknamed "the zonebuster".

Neals384
03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
This is the first time that I remember that every scholarship player both played and scored. Pretty Impressive.

This was the 4th time this season...Princeton, Colgate and Oregon games.

Acymetric
03-19-2011, 11:55 AM
This was the 4th time this season...Princeton, Colgate and Oregon games.

Are you including Casey Peters?

OldPhiKap
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/menshighlights

scroll down a little and click on "pressers" just above the highlight clips

Thanks, I've been trying to find that as well.

Really impressed with Hampton's coach as well. I wish them luck in the future, and I think they're going to be a load for someone next year.

watzone
03-19-2011, 01:06 PM
More post game videos of Singler, Curry and the Plums with comments about Michigan as well. http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/singler-curry-miles-and-mason-plumlee-interviews/

dukelilsis
03-19-2011, 06:08 PM
This may be considered a little off topic but I thought it worth mentioning. I know we've had a few Hampton fans pop up here over the past week and, to that end, I wanted to give a shout out to them. I was at the game and found their fans to be super friendly and their pepband to be the most excited band in the building all day. You could tell the band and cheerleaders were having a ball and I really enjoyed them. It was a pleasure to "hang out" at the coliseum with you for the afternoon!