PDA

View Full Version : The Kyrie Irving Just Returned Vigil

SupaDave
03-17-2011, 06:30 PM
And now he integrates himself back into the team - just in time for some REAL fun. It's safe to say I'm pretty geeked.

Let's go Duke!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I guess it's time to predict what he'll do in his first game back! I say he'll play 16 minutes, score 11 points on 1) 3, 3) 2's and 2) free throws and have 4 assists. He may even get a rebound or two. And oh, yeah. He'll have the biggest smile in Charlotte! :cool:

mr. synellinden
03-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Posted in this in the Kyrie Cleared to Practice Thread, but worth a re-posting:

dukebluesincebirth
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess it's time to predict what he'll do in his first game back! I say he'll play 16 minutes, score 11 points on 1) 3, 3) 2's and 2) free throws and have 4 assists. He may even get a rebound or two. And oh, yeah. He'll have the biggest smile in Charlotte! :cool:

I'll say 13 minutes, 7 pts, 6 assists, 0 rebounds, 2 steals

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Dukestheheat sent me a nice PM about my painting of Kyrie, which I have hanging on the wall next to me. (Well, it's taped to the wall anyways.) Like dth was reminiscing on in his message, I'm so looking forward to seeing that burst of speed again. Hopefully he has it.
Charlotte is going to blow up when he takes the court. I will be at work, hopefully on my computer so I can see it, but if not, I'm sure it's scene that will be replayed constantly tomorrow evening.

NYBri
03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Numbers 1 and 2 together again.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!

Newton_14
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Dukestheheat sent me a nice PM about my painting of Kyrie, which I have hanging on the wall next to me. (Well, it's taped to the wall anyways.) Like dth was reminiscing on in his message, I'm so looking forward to seeing that burst of speed again. Hopefully he has it.
Charlotte is going to blow up when he takes the court. I will be at work, hopefully on my computer so I can see it, but if not, I'm sure it's scene that will be replayed constantly tomorrow evening.

That is a great painting Chris. Good to see it again!

I am stoked about seeing Kyrie again. Not expecting miracles, just glad he made it back and will have a chance to contribute on the floor. You could not have asked for him to be any better on the sidelines all year long while on the mend. It has all been mentioned ad naseum, but I am not sure we can over state both how he carried himself, and the value he likely added to the guys who were playing.

Just a special kid. Too bad we live in an age where we will not have him for 3 or 4 years. No doubt his Jersey would hang in the rafters with the other legends.

Tomorrow at 3 cannot get here soon enough!

papa whiskey
03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
The rest of the field just felt something warm trickling down their legs. WELCOME BACK KYRIE!!!!!!!!

buddy
03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
The rest of the field just felt something warm trickling down their legs. WELCOME BACK KYRIE!!!!!!!!

After a thread about who was the second best team in the conference (it was us in the regular season) and how we were going to go undefeated (we didn't), maybe we should cool the triumphalist threads and just enjoy the tournament. With luck and health, we will do very well.

Chris Randolph
03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Kyrie comes in, plays the greatest 14 minutes in the history of basketball, scores 42 points and calls out the Fab 5 for a 1 on 5 pick up game before the evening session but Jalen declines because Kyrie speaks too fluently...

Actually I would expect 10-12 minutes, a few turnovers, a couple layups and a jumper

Duke31122
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
It's just like Wojo said a team with Kyrie is better than a team without Kyrie. He will be huge Sunday through the rest of the tournament. We can't expect too muhc or too little. Kyrie is a elite athlete and he will dominate tomorrow, which is good to get his confidence up. Hampton won't know what hit them.

MartyClark
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM

While I usually resist a visit to the dark underbelly of the universe, the stuff on the IC board is absolutely hilarious. The usual conspiracy theories coupled with a genuine fear of Duke success make for interesting reading.

I am very enthused about Kyrie's return.

ajgoodfella7
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
While I usually resist a visit to the dark underbelly of the universe, the stuff on the IC board is absolutely hilarious. The usual conspiracy theories coupled with a genuine fear of Duke success make for interesting reading.

I am very enthused about Kyrie's return.

I bet I can guess without even looking:

Coach K convinced Kyrie to come back, and in doing so is risking KI's future for the betterment of his own legacy, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.

The same argument they've made in every Duke-related topic since the turn of the century. They are more focused on Duke then their own damn team, which has always struck me as kind of flattering.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I bet I can guess without even looking:

Coach K convinced Kyrie to come back, and in doing so is risking KI's future for the betterment of his own legacy, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.

The same argument they've made in every Duke-related topic since the turn of the century. They are more focused on Duke then their own damn team, which has always struck me as kind of flattering.

Which is odd, considering that K cannot develop talent to make it in the NBA.

Don't start me on the fact that we cannot develop big men because we have a former point guard teaching them . . . .

It would be funny if it were not so predicable.

ajgoodfella7
03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Which is odd, considering that K cannot develop talent to make it in the NBA.

Don't start me on the fact that we cannot develop big men because we have a former point guard teaching them . . . .

It would be funny if it were not so predicable.

I agree OPK. Not speaking of the UNC fan base as whole (or better yet, hole), but man, some of them just live in their own distorted reality. It is like the entire board thinks they are psychologists, and everything K says or does has some kind of deeper evil at its core. I used to head over there from time to time to get a laugh, but it just go so redundant I had to quit altogether. I've been IC sober for a few months now, and I don't plan on going back.

devildeac
03-17-2011, 11:25 PM

I'll let you know what it's like in person.;):p.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-18-2011, 04:59 AM
After a thread about who was the second best team in the conference (it was us in the regular season) and how we were going to go undefeated (we didn't), maybe we should cool the triumphalist threads and just enjoy the tournament. With luck and health, we will do very well.

Those were all said before the injury though so they became irelevant afterwards. I still think if we would have had Kyrie all year we would be undefeated right now.

Ping Lin
03-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Those were all said before the injury though so they became irelevant afterwards. I still think if we would have had Kyrie all year we would be undefeated right now.

Well thank God we lost him, then.

Duke would be in a whole heap of trouble if we were undefeated at this point.

moonpie23
03-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Well thank God we lost him, then.

Duke would be in a whole heap of trouble if we were undefeated at this point.

how so?

cakerace
03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
My point guard's back, and he’s gonna cause you trouble!
(Hey-la-day-la, my point guard's back)
We’re op-toe-mistic: look for Mason’s points to double.

You been spreading lies, said our season was all through.
So look out now, cause he's comin' after you
(Hey, he knows that you been tryin')
(And he knows that you been lyin')

He's been gone for such a long time,
Now he's back and things'll be fine

You're been touting j’hawks and buckeyes,
Now it’s tourney time, watch us cut them down to size!
(Hey-la-day-la my point guard's back)

My point guard's back to enhance our reputation.
If I were UNC I'd take a permanent vacation.
(Hey-la, hey-la, my point guard's back)

Yeah, my point guard's back
(La-day-la, my point guard's back)
Look out now, yeah, my point guard's back

dukelifer
03-18-2011, 08:40 AM

I doubt it. You never know how Curry would have developed as a result- and kids get sick- have an off night etc. Going undefeated is very hard to do and probably not worth the added pressure- just ask UNLV in 1991. We just want to go undefeated for 6 more games. That is a much better goal.

DevilWearsPrada
03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Waking up in Charlotte! Going to the games! I have on ESPN U and loved seeing the interviews with Coach K and then Kyrie! He just wants to play on the big stage for the NCAA tourney and help his teammates! Kyrie is a class act!

It doesnt matter to me, how many minutes he plays, his points or assists or steals. I am just delighted to see him suit up and get back into the rotation. Thats what he came to Duke for! To win Championships!!

I think he will play 12 13 minutes, and score 11 points. I am thinking conservative and not over the top.

It will be so good to see Number 1 Kyrie and Number 2 Nolan playing together, again!! ITS a great Day to be a DUKIE!!!

and as always,

Lets Go Duke!!

davekay1971
03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Is it 3:15 yet?

TheMainEvent
03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't want to put negative energy out into the universe today, but does anyone see KI having a very small game? (Less than 6 minutes, 4 points, 1 assist)

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't want to put negative energy out into the universe today, but does anyone see KI having a very small game? (Less than 6 minutes, 4 points, 1 assist)

I would be very surprised if he played less than 6 minutes.

wilson
03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I would be very surprised if he played less than 6 minutes.Me too. A meager stat line would not surprise me a great deal (nor do I think it would be cause for alarm), but six minutes or fewer definitely would...it would hardly be worth his returning today if that's all he's going to play.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

I would not be surprised with a low point or assist total. As talented as he is, this is his first NCAA game and first action in three months. Plus, his main job is to get comfortable with what the team runs now. Nolan is running the show, and I do not expect a great change in philosophy away from what worked so well last weekend.

I am just looking forward to seeing him play, and don't really care what numbers he puts up.

davekay1971
03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I really don't care at all about Kyrie's stat line today (that statement made hoping that Duke will have the game in hand regardless of how much he can contribute...caveat made). I want to see him have good mobility, quickness, "spurtability" (as Clark Kellogg would say), and confidence in his body. It's his first game-situation play in 4 months, and his shot could be rusty, his timing off, his flow in the offense imperfect, etc. None of that will matter much, because I have confidence that it won't take long at all for Kyrie to shake off the rust and get into the flow and timing of the offense. My expectation is that we'll see Kyrie a relatively limited period of time today and his contribution will be similarly limited. Then, if we win today, we'll see a very, very different Kyrie on Sunday.

dukeballboy88
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Id play him about about 20 minutes this game. Let him get back into the flow of live game action. I hope we dont need him in the 2nd round but I gotta feeling we are going to need him to get past Texas.

mgtr
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Excellent! If I could carry a tune, I would sing it. I could play it, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

ACCBBallFan
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Id play him about about 20 minutes this game. Let him get back into the flow of live game action. I hope we dont need him in the 2nd round but I gotta feeling we are going to need him to get past Texas.

Besides his endurance, Kyrie's PT depends on how long it takes Duke to put the game out of hand. In past, Duke has not always stomped on the #16 from the get go.

I would expect Irving's PT to be closer to 10 minutes than 20, perhaps 12.

snowdenscold
03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Aren't we getting a little carried away? I do believe we'll be a better team, but it's not like we blew out Marquette, K-state and MSU by 40 when we played. And those teams may not have been as great as we thought when we played them.

Don't get me wrong - I am excited - but am far from thinking we're unstoppable now.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Aren't we getting a little carried away? I do believe we'll be a better team, but it's not like we blew out Marquette, K-state and MSU by 40 when we played. And those teams may not have been as great as we thought when we played them.

Don't get me wrong - I am excited - but am far from thinking we're unstoppable now.

Agreed. We played our best ball of the year last weekend. Adding Kyrie is a big plus but it is not the sine qua non of winning the title. Nolan, Kyle, and rebounding is the key.

(But, yeah, what an offensive and defensive "wrinkle" Kyrie adds!)

mgtr
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

I agree with the above, and will try to exercise a bit more caution in my thinking. Plus, I don't think we will get much actual production from KI until next weekend. But, the effect of pumping up the rest of our team is probably not measurable. Could be big.

uh_no
03-18-2011, 10:05 AM

for some reason i want to go out an buy a hess truck...hear it's back and it's better than ever......for christmas this year

hudlow
03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't care what he does...

He's ours, he's back and he's Duke.

I want him to have fun and to enjoy playing with his team mates.

He's sat patiently on the bench through a bunch of games cheering and helping his team.

It had to be hard not to be able to play.

I'm glad to see a fine young man "back on his feet."

Go Kyrie!

GO DUKE!!!

Son of Mojo
03-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm of the thinking that if the game is a close one, he will play 5 to 10 minutes. If it's a blowout from beginning to end, he would go 15 to 20 just to get back into rhythm. Coach has sounded very cautious throughout and I'd think he'd remain so until Kyrie demonstrates in game play that he's ready to have more put onto him minutes-wise.

UrinalCake
03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Something I'll be curious to see... let's see we jump out to a big lead by halftime. Not trying to disparage our opponents or take them for granted, but realistically speaking there's a good chance that will happen. In this case, will Coach K send Kyrie back out there with the first team in order to get them some game practice together? Or will he send Kyrie out with the second team in order to rest the starters?

BD80
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM

I would suggest that Nolan, Seth, Mason, Ryan, Miles, Andre and Tyler are all better (and generally significantly better) than they were back when Kyrie played. We are also playing far better help defense and pick and roll defense than we did back then. I would also suggest that Kyrie better understands what Coach K envisions than he did then.

If this were a movie script, I would call it trite and unoriginal. Take the best player off the team, let the rest of the team develop and learn that they are champions even without the best player, and then reinsert the best player as the team drives toward the championship.

As for the Kyrie story: he plays 8 games, sits for 26 games, comes back for the last 6 games to lead the team to the championship, and then is drafted #1? We need a theater department so we can come up with more original material.

jimrowe0
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm so excited today to see him play again in a Duke uniform, the day is just dragging.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
As for the Kyrie story: he plays 8 games, sits for 26 games, comes back for the last 6 games to lead the team to the championship, and then is drafted #1? We need a theater department so we can come up with more original material.
We have a theater department at Duke. And an experienced author (BostonDevil) and a Director/Producer (who reads/lurks but doesn't post so doesn't have a screen name to mention). This is a doable project!

hq2
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I think last year's script ("The Brian Zoubek Legend") was better, up until now. Hard to see how Kyrie can top it, unless he hits a Gordon Hayward 45 footer to win the championship.

Chard
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM

I "hear" what you're saying. However, those are three NCAA teams. I know two of the teams had returning starters at the point. Those three teams are now 2-1 in the tournament. MSU almost pulled off a comeback last night and they've been playing without a major contributor that was kicked off the team after Duke played them. Look at the play-by-play and you'll see that Duke had a 8-10 point lead with around 1 minute to go in each game until the foul fest started.

For being that early in the season against that competition, I think Duke looked very good.

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Something I'll be curious to see... let's see we jump out to a big lead by halftime. Not trying to disparage our opponents or take them for granted, but realistically speaking there's a good chance that will happen. In this case, will Coach K send Kyrie back out there with the first team in order to get them some game practice together? Or will he send Kyrie out with the second team in order to rest the starters?

Interesting thought, and like you wrote, lets not assume we'll have a big lead. If we do, I think we might see a little of each of the scenarios you mentioned. Maybe start Kyrie in 2nd half to get some brief time with the starters (til the 1st tv timeout maybe?), then let the regular starters play for most of the 2nd half, then have Kyrie come back for the last 7-8 minutes while Nolan & Co. rest.

Channing
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Interesting thought, and like you wrote, lets not assume we'll have a big lead. If we do, I think we might see a little of each of the scenarios you mentioned. Maybe start Kyrie in 2nd half to get some brief time with the starters (til the 1st tv timeout maybe?), then let the regular starters play for most of the 2nd half, then have Kyrie come back for the last 7-8 minutes while Nolan & Co. rest.

do we have a first and second unit? when he was healthy Kyrie seemed to play with everyone (as does Kyle and Nolan).

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
do we have a first and second unit? when he was healthy Kyrie seemed to play with everyone (as does Kyle and Nolan).

Correct, but it's also been regular season up until this point. This is tourney time, and the 1st round at that. Again, I don't want to assume we're going to have a big lead in the 2nd half, but IF we do, I think it's a good time to give Kyle and Nolan some rest for the long haul. We don't have a specific "2nd unit" but I think we could see much more PT for guys like Thornton, Hairston, and R.Kelly. This is the group Kyrie could be playing with.

BluDvlsN1
03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
1. I, like each of you, couldn't be happier for a fine young man and a terrific student/athlete, who is now healthy and able to do what he loves most!

2. The rest I leave up to 'K"....Mike...that is!!! to do what he does best !!!
I have absolute trust in Coach K, to make the best decisions, for Duke, the team and Kyrie...the rest will take care of itself!!

3. What a great day, How much fun is this !!!!

“I believe God gave us crises for some reason—and it certainly wasn’t for us to say that everything about them is bad. A crisis can be a momentous time for a team to grow—if a leader handles it properly.”

Coach K

nocilla
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Correct, but it's also been regular season up until this point. This is tourney time, and the 1st round at that. Again, I don't want to assume we're going to have a big lead in the 2nd half, but IF we do, I think it's a good time to give Kyle and Nolan some rest for the long haul. We don't have a specific "2nd unit" but I think we could see much more PT for guys like Thornton, Hairston, and R.Kelly. This is the group Kyrie could be playing with.

I kind of disagree. I don't think we will see a lot of Hairston or Thornton now that Kyrie is in the mix. They may play in mop up time, but that would be it. We don't have a 2nd unit. Our bench players come in and play with starters. Kelly, Dawkins, and Irving will rotate in at different times but I doubt all at the same time. Resting is not that big of a concern now either. Last weekend they played 3 games in 3 days. They have had almost a week of rest and will (most likely) play 2 games in 3 days before another 5 days of rest. We may 'rest' Nolan and Kyle in the last few minutes if the game is well in hand, but that is all the rest I expect to see.

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
1. I, like each of you, couldn't be happier for a fine young man and a terrific student/athlete, who is now healthy and able to do what he loves most!

2. The rest I leave up to 'K"....Mike...that is!!! to do what he does best !!!
I have absolute trust in Coach K, to make the best decisions, for Duke, the team and Kyrie...the rest will take care of itself!!

3. What a great day, How much fun is this !!!!

“I believe God gave us crises for some reason—and it certainly wasn’t for us to say that everything about them is bad. A crisis can be a momentous time for a team to grow—if a leader handles it properly.”

Coach K

Not only a great day, but one of the SLOOOOOOOOOWWWEST moving days of my life! I knew I should've called in sick! Come on 3 oclock!

davekay1971
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I think last year's script ("The Brian Zoubek Legend") was better, up until now. Hard to see how Kyrie can top it, unless he hits a Gordon Hayward 45 footer to win the championship.

At the 1:20 mark of the movie we hit the final four match against UNC. Through a combination of luck, shady reffing, and downright dirty play the 'Holes have managed to beat superior teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to stage a rematch. With Kyrie back in the lineup we utterly destroy them, despite their dastardly ways. In state-of-the-art CGI with Skywalker Sound's best work, Kyrie crosses over Marshall and jukes him out of his shoes, then goes around Henson for a Digital 3-D dunk to seal the game. I'd pay 9 bucks for that and a pair of plastic glasses!

UrinalCake
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I kind of disagree. I don't think we will see a lot of Hairston or Thornton now that Kyrie is in the mix. They may play in mop up time, but that would be it.

I think what we're discussing here is how "mop up time" will be handled. The Kyrie factor changes things a lot, because now we want to utilize mop up time to possibly get him some extra playing time. It's true that we don't have a starting five and a second five, but we do have a core group of seven (now eight, sort of) players who play the bulk of minutes followed by reserves who typically don't play very much.

TheMainEvent
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Hopefully today will be mostly "mop-up time". I'd love to see some Kyrie assists to Casey Peters!

nocilla
03-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I think what we're discussing here is how "mop up time" will be handled. The Kyrie factor changes things a lot, because now we want to utilize mop up time to possibly get him some extra playing time. It's true that we don't have a starting five and a second five, but we do have a core group of seven (now eight, sort of) players who play the bulk of minutes followed by reserves who typically don't play very much.

You are correct, but my point is that we won't see Kyrie in mop up time. I think we will see Kryie around the middle of each half, and he will work mainly with the starters. I don't think we will see him on the floor with Kelly and Dawkins at the same time. And I really don't think we will see him on the floor with Thornton, Hairston, or Peters.

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
You are correct, but my point is that we won't see Kyrie in mop up time. I think we will see Kryie around the middle of each half, and he will work mainly with the starters. I don't think we will see him on the floor with Kelly and Dawkins at the same time. And I really don't think we will see him on the floor with Thornton, Hairston, or Peters.

You may be right, and Coach K will ultimately decide on the best decision. However, I do feel like Kyrie could use the mop up time (IF there is mop up time). From what I've heard, one of his challenges right now is conditioning and being able to run full speed for longer periods of time. Don't you think mop up time could at least help with conditioning? I understand this may not be his typical situation, but he is not in a typical situation now. He's trying to condition his body and I don't think this would hurt him.

nocilla
03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
You may be right, and Coach K will ultimately decide on the best decision. However, I do feel like Kyrie could use the mop up time (IF there is mop up time). From what I've heard, one of his challenges right now is conditioning and being able to run full speed for longer periods of time. Don't you think mop up time could at least help with conditioning? I understand this may not be his typical situation, but he is not in a typical situation now. He's trying to condition his body and I don't think this would hurt him.

Yes, that makes sense. You may be right. I was thinking more along the lines of him not getting a lot of minutes so they need to get the most out of those minutes, which would entail him getting back into the chemistry of the team.

savekyriestoe
03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Be sure to check out http://iskyrieplaying.com around game time. The day we have all been waiting for is finally upon us.

Kedsy
03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't think we will see him on the floor with Kelly and Dawkins at the same time.

I disagree with this part of your statement. Ryan has started 27 games this year and Andre has started 7 and both are significant parts of our rotation and will play with Kyrie. Not only that, if we go "small," Andre will likely be the third guard (often with Nolan and Kyrie, and possibly with Kyrie and Seth) and Ryan could easily be the one big in that scenario.

UrinalCake
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Not only that, if we go "small," Andre will likely be the third guard (often with Nolan and Kyrie, and possibly with Kyrie and Seth) and Ryan could easily be the one big in that scenario.

If we've got a small lead at the end of a close game, on offense I could see us playing Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Kyle, and Kelly. We'd want to keep Mason out because of free throw shooting, and Miles isn't a ball handler.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
If we've got a small lead at the end of a close game, on offense I could see us playing Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Kyle, and Kelly. We'd want to keep Mason out because of free throw shooting, and Miles isn't a ball handler.

Kyrie was a very good free throw shooter (and still is, I am sure). If you're the opponent, though, you may want to foul the freshman w/o a lot of game time. (Unless Mason is in, of course).

LouisianaDukeFan
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Since I was fortunate enough to be off today, I thought I'd spend the morning watching the Duke-Michigan State game. Now I'm thinking that wasn't a good idea...I CAN'T WAIT for the game to start. Looks so good to see KI in a uniform. :)

TheMainEvent
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Kyrie was a very good free throw shooter (and still is, I am sure). If you're the opponent, though, you may want to foul the freshman w/o a lot of game time. (Unless Mason is in, of course).

I agree that he was a good FT shooter and I'm sure he still is. I could see them going after KI in a close game, especially since he hasn't been in a high pressure situation in a while and there could be a ton of UNC (or any non-Dukies) there cheering against us if things get tight.

BD80
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I disagree with this part of your statement. Ryan has started 27 games this year and Andre has started 7 and both are significant parts of our rotation and will play with Kyrie. Not only that, if we go "small," Andre will likely be the third guard (often with Nolan and Kyrie, and possibly with Kyrie and Seth) and Ryan could easily be the one big in that scenario.

Endgame with the Devils in the lead, killing the clock, would be Kyrie, Nolan, SETH, Kyle and Ryan. Maybe sub Andre for Ryan, but Ryan is as good on the line and gives a tall target to combat a trap. Either Kyrie or Nolan will have the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock, depending on which one has the weaker defender on him, to drive and score/dish. Seth has become a good ball-handler and is a very good free throw shooter. I don't think Coach K trusts Dre as much as he trusts Seth at endgame.

throatybeard
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Nolan hits the shot; facilitating the open shot, Kyrie sets a bonecrushing pick on Matt Howard, USING HIS SUPERHUMAN TOE.

jv001
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I think Kyrie plays 10-15 minutes and shows us he's near 100%, but not in the same condition he was in 26 games ago. I pray that Kyrie and all the players do not get injured and Duke win todays game by a wide margin. Go Duke!

wilson
03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Something I'll be curious to see... let's see we jump out to a big lead by halftime. Not trying to disparage our opponents or take them for granted, but realistically speaking there's a good chance that will happen. In this case, will Coach K send Kyrie back out there with the first team in order to get them some game practice together? Or will he send Kyrie out with the second team in order to rest the starters?Either way, Inside Carolina will figure out how to cite it as reason #974,366 why Coach K is Satan.

BluDvlsN1
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Either way, Inside Carolina will figure out how to cite it as reason #974,366 why Coach K is Satan.

Whether it's Inside Carolina or any other Duke haters!

"The best revenge....is massive success"
Frank Sinatra

Let's go Duke....minutes away!!!

Turtleboy
03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Something I'll be curious to see... let's see we jump out to a big lead by halftime. Not trying to disparage our opponents or take them for granted, but realistically speaking there's a good chance that will happen. In this case, will Coach K send Kyrie back out there with the first team in order to get them some game practice together? Or will he send Kyrie out with the second team in order to rest the starters?With what amounts to what has been a seven man rotation (up to now, at least) I'm not sure Duke has a first team and a second team. Subs are more a function of situations rather than platooning. How much Kyrie will play depends upon a lot more than the score.

TheMainEvent
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Commercial Break!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? I CAN'T WAIT!

mr. synellinden
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Anyone else have chills seeing Kyrie about to enter the game?

Just seeing him with the white Duke jersey on is amazing.

How fast do you think his heart is beating?

MChambers
Commercial Break!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? I CAN'T WAIT!
Time to close this thread! The vigil is over!:)

monkey
What Is that thing on Kyrie's chin?

CameronBornAndBred
03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Saw some flashes, especially at the end. Loved the layup with the mid-air changeover..and the two deep bombs were awesome!!

coldriver10
03-18-2011, 05:26 PM
What Is that thing on Kyrie's chin?
It's a Singler Special.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I was pretty darn close! He made two 3's instead of just one!

14 points, 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block.

Great to have him back!

grossbus
03-18-2011, 05:30 PM
very encouraging!
:D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2011, 07:54 PM
So that's it? 2:24 minutes and no one else has anything else to say? Really? Wow. Just wow!

Jeff Frosh
03-18-2011, 08:29 PM
So that's it? 2:24 minutes and no one else has anything else to say? Really? Wow. Just wow!

I have something to say. You are the man Ozzie. As is Kyrie. All is well!!!!

watzone
03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Three post game Kyrie Irving you tube vids for you - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/kyrie-irving-is-back-videos-from-todays-game/

LSanders
03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Anyone else have chills seeing Kyrie about to enter the game?

I got chills near the end when his second 3 in a row went in, and I saw the on-court return of the Kyrie smile. He was back, and he was starting to have fun.

In Katz' post-game article, KI said:

“It was a good performance, good to be out there with my teammates,’’ Irving said. “I just wanted to integrate myself into Coach K’s system and fit as well as I could. In the second half, I just had to be more aggressive and coach said just play my game.’’

Obviously, he's mega-talented, but he's really such a good person. Humble. Happy. Enthusiastic. Team player.

I have to say that I really hope he comes back, and not for the obvious reason. I'd just like to see him have a full season to PLAY and be a "kid." The League is a job. I'd like to see him have at least one more year of just having fun.

jipops
03-18-2011, 08:58 PM
The 14 points may be just a tad deceiving as they largely came in garbage time against a weaker opponent. However, he clearly gained confidence after that first layup went down and it was great to see those 3's go down. Both of his drives to the basket in the 2nd half were strong and assertive.

His defense is probably going to be the most difficult to get back. He lost his guy on switches but he also seemed to be playing cautious in his lateral movement to start out. Again, after those layups went down that seemed to change a bit.

MarkD83
03-18-2011, 08:59 PM

I didn't have a chance to watch Duke in November and December and I was wondering who is that kid that is wearing number 1. I did see him on the bench. I guess he must have been a manager and Coach K decided to give him a shot at playing? :cool:

This might have to go in a different thread but you know what I am enjoying about this tournament....I am not hearing all of the weaknesess that Duke has from the various talking heads.

"Duke is not athletic" did not hear this.
"Duke has no front court depth" did not hear this.
"Duke has no back court depth" did not hear this.
"Duke does not have any shooters" did not hear this.
"Duke has no point guard" did not hear this.
"Duke can't defend the perimeter" did not hear this.

I did hear someone on the radio start with this train of thought about Michigan and then they quickly moved on.

Here is the paraphrase..."Whoever plays Michigan next better be careful because they may be outcoached by Beilein......" Oh never mind.

BCGroup
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
http://usat.ly/g632pU

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 10:15 PM
The 14 points may be just a tad deceiving as they largely came in garbage time against a weaker opponent. However, he clearly gained confidence after that first layup went down and it was great to see those 3's go down. Both of his drives to the basket in the 2nd half were strong and assertive.

His defense is probably going to be the most difficult to get back. He lost his guy on switches but he also seemed to be playing cautious in his lateral movement to start out. Again, after those layups went down that seemed to change a bit.

His biggest challenge is mental imo. He was very tentative early which is fully understandable. Learning to trust his body, and his game are important. He also has to overcome the thought of "I do not want to screw this team up" as well. He mentioned that in his post-game interview. I feel for him, because I know it has to be tough.

I agree that he looked much better demeanor wise, after the coast to coast layup. I also agree that defense will be the long pole here. If we can continue to advance, I expect he will improve game by game. But we need to show patience as the young man is in an extremely difficult situation. If anyone can pull this off though, Kyrie can. (Especially with a man like Coach K roaming the sidelines).

dukelifer
03-18-2011, 10:25 PM

The threes were very pure- with a quick release. Even the two he tried that missed looked very good. Clearly he has a way to go- but the kid is electric- there is no denying that.

dukestheheat
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM
For a guy to sit on the pine for 3.25 months and then be able to come out and play like he did, that is amazing in my opinion. He certainly was gassed at many times during the game, but it was encouraging to see him push it hard and not get re-injured. I don't see him with as much lateral movement as he had pre-injury.

One thing that was interesting to me, though: we saw him progress through this one particular GAME. He was much more assertive after half-time; I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next game.

dth.

dukelifer
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
For a guy to sit on the pine for 3.25 months and then be able to come out and play like he did, that is amazing in my opinion. He certainly was gassed at many times during the game, but it was encouraging to see him push it hard and not get re-injured. I don't see him with as much lateral movement as he had pre-injury.

One thing that was interesting to me, though: we saw him progress through this one particular GAME. He was much more assertive after half-time; I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next game.

dth.

I doubt he starts- he will come off the bench as in this game. Two games in two days can be wearing when in shape- much harder when you have not played for a while. He will give spot minutes again. I expect he will be on the floor at the end of the game though when you need ball handlers and free throw shooters.

DallasDevil
03-18-2011, 10:41 PM

dth.

I for one would be surprised to see him start next game. Kyrie did play well, but Seth didn't do anything to warrant a benching, and I don't think this is the time to change things up from what has been working so well. Further, Kyrie's conditioning was clearly not where it needs to be, and waiting to bring him in shortens the game for him. I also think bringing him off the bench right now is a good tactical move. Duke has the best starting five in its region, but instead of things getting easier when a starter sits, Duke instead brings in the top NBA prospect in the country.

I would not, however, be surprised to see him in the lineup at the end of the game. His ballhandling, free throw shooting, and defensive ability are ideal for closing out a game.

Edit: Looks like Dukelifer beat me to it.

Gthoma2a
03-19-2011, 01:47 AM
It isn't so much here, but is anybody else noticing people (media and Twitter) dissecting every quote from Kyrie to read the future? "Once in a lifetime opportunity" is a phrase that could just be what he is throwing out for the media, or it could be commentary on the fact that he will not have another opportunity to play on a team with two senior champs quite like Kyle and a Nolan. It could just be saying that he may not have another team that all he has to do is be another potent weapon to reach the ultimate level of success.

77devil
03-19-2011, 02:08 AM
I doubt he starts- he will come off the bench as in this game. Two games in two days can be wearing when in shape- much harder when you have not played for a while. He will give spot minutes again. I expect he will be on the floor at the end of the game though when you need ball handlers and free throw shooters.

I believe Kyrie will come off the bench the entire tourney with increasing minutes each game. Regardless, the disruption his presence causes other team's preparation is invaluable.

juise
03-19-2011, 02:39 AM
I believe Kyrie will come off the bench the entire tourney with increasing minutes each game. Regardless, the disruption his presence causes other team's preparation is invaluable.

After reviewing some Box scores from 2001, this description is consistent with how K used Boozer after he returned from his injury. Obviously, I'm not comparing players or injuries, but just K's strategy.

Zerogee
03-19-2011, 03:45 AM
It isn't so much here, but is anybody else noticing people (media and Twitter) dissecting every quote from Kyrie to read the future? "Once in a lifetime opportunity" is a phrase that could just be what he is throwing out for the media, or it could be commentary on the fact that he will not have another opportunity to play on a team with two senior champs quite like Kyle and a Nolan. It could just be saying that he may not have another team that all he has to do is be another potent weapon to reach the ultimate level of success.

I think taking "once in a lifetime opportunity" to mean "may not have another team where all he has to do is be another potent weapon" would be dissecting the quote :-) The "Will Kyrie declare for the draft vigil" can be tabled until after the tournament, but I'm pretty sure that the conventional wisdom in the media will be that Kyrie will go pro since he's a consensus top-few pick. It happens that those people return - see Luck, Andrew - but it's rare (Kyle and Nolan were in a completely different situation due to their draft projections).

Kyrie can pleasantly surprise everyone, but for now, let's just enjoy what he brings to the table this month!

hq2
03-19-2011, 09:00 AM
After reviewing some Box scores from 2001, this description is consistent with how K used Boozer after he returned from his injury. Obviously, I'm not comparing players or injuries, but just K's strategy.

Which makes sense from two points of view. First, as when Boozer left, the team has developed a different playing style and different roles, and guys have gotten used to them. You don't want to disrupt that right away. And, of course, there's the obvious question of whether Kyrie's toe/conditioning are up to 35-40 minutes a game.

K was cautious in '01 on both fronts for the same reason, and it paid off; the team continued to play well as they had before. But, when they really had to have Boozer play (Maryland, Arizona) he was ready to go, and made a huge (winning) difference in both games.

MCFinARL
03-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I think taking "once in a lifetime opportunity" to mean "may not have another team where all he has to do is be another potent weapon" would be dissecting the quote :-) The "Will Kyrie declare for the draft vigil" can be tabled until after the tournament, but I'm pretty sure that the conventional wisdom in the media will be that Kyrie will go pro since he's a consensus top-few pick. It happens that those people return - see Luck, Andrew - but it's rare (Kyle and Nolan were in a completely different situation due to their draft projections).

Kyrie can pleasantly surprise everyone, but for now, let's just enjoy what he brings to the table this month!

The original poster was right, though, that people are, in fact, out there dissecting this particular tweet. It's really pretty silly--since we can't know the future, any basketball player would be foolish NOT to look on playing in the NCAA tournament as a "once in a lifetime opportunity," and I doubt Kyrie spends a lot of time thinking up coded messages to send in his tweets.

You're absolutely right, though, that there is no point thinking about whether Kyrie will enter the draft now--my guess is he is not thinking about it now, so why should we? He'll decide what he decides when he decides.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Exactly so. I like the idea of subbing him in with Andre as well, so it is not a matter of taking Andre's minutes away (i.e. i am putting Kyrie in ahead of you). And, you could see the benefit -- a wide open Andre, doing what he does best. Great game by both of them.

It will be curious to see how K uses Nolan and Kyrie to try to break Michigan's 1-3-1 zone. I think both can get into the middle, then dish to the bigs on the low blocks or our great wings out beyond three. Should be a fun challenge.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!

gofurman
03-19-2011, 10:48 AM

yep, this here. when he was in we were better but we were also overrated by the teams we beat no being quite what we thought they were. turned out they were good - butler, msu, etc but not great

My concern is reintegration. Now I have seen Friday so I have hindsight.. first half was concerning but second half much better ! shame we couldn't get him back last week... just playing a half made a difference. another week or two would have really helped. from now on there is lil chance of junk minutes to practice. At least he gives Nolan rest and is a change of pace and provides depth /d

OldPhiKap
03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
yep, this here. when he was in we were better but we were also overrated by the teams we beat no being quite what we thought they were. turned out they were good - butler, msu, etc but not great

My concern is reintegration. Now I have seen Friday so I have hindsight.. first half was concerning but second half much better ! shame we couldn't get him back last week... just playing a half made a difference. another week or two would have really helped. from now on there is lil chance of junk minutes to practice. At least he gives Nolan rest and is a change of pace and provides depth /d

IF we get past Michigan, we have a week of him at full speed to get back into the fold. But of course, that's only if we take care of business tomorrow.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Just getting on DBR here for the first time since the game. Anyway Kyrie I thought started rather slow. He looked unsure and unaggressive, he wasnt going all out on his drives and he looked a little confused on defense. BUT he got it back later in the game, he started looking confident and started attacking to find his shot. It was awesome to se it after its been so long. Great to have him back!

ps- Did anyone else think he played very poorly on defense? GO back and watch and he was beatin off the dribble and he kept losing his man when he was not on ball.

dukelifer
03-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Just getting on DBR here for the first time since the game. Anyway Kyrie I thought started rather slow. He looked unsure and unaggressive, he wasnt going all out on his drives and he looked a little confused on defense. BUT he got it back later in the game, he started looking confident and started attacking to find his shot. It was awesome to se it after its been so long. Great to have him back!

ps- Did anyone else think he played very poorly on defense? GO back and watch and he was beatin off the dribble and he kept losing his man when he was not on ball.

Looked like a Freshman who had not yet mastered K' D and who had not played in 3 or so months.

Kewlswim
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Looked like a Freshman who had not yet mastered K' D and who had not played in 3 or so months.

Hi,

Then I think it is fair to say he is still a freshman (while guys like TT and Josh are Sophomores in terms of playing experience). So, it is unfair (perhaps) to put the ball in his hands down the stretch when we have Nolan and Kyle. If he had played all season he would be more ready for end of game situations. Experience can trump talent when talking about end of game situations, at least in my book. That being written, Kyrie is such a talent it might be one of those cases where one has to live with what he might do at the end of the game because it might be magical.

GO DUKE!

dukelifer
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Then I think it is fair to say he is still a freshman (while guys like TT and Josh are Sophomores in terms of playing experience). So, it is unfair (perhaps) to put the ball in his hands down the stretch when we have Nolan and Kyle. If he had played all season he would be more ready for end of game situations. Experience can trump talent when talking about end of game situations, at least in my book. That being written, Kyrie is such a talent it might be one of those cases where one has to live with what he might do at the end of the game because it might be magical.

GO DUKE!

It would depend on a lot. Duke up by 7 milking the clock- Kyrie may be good to have on the court as he has a great handle and can hit throws. Down 1 and you need a shot-hmmm-tough call as the kid is a gamer. But I think his D is behind all his fellow Freshman and everyone else - in that sense he could negatively affect the team when you need stops.

tele
03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

First thing it is great seeing Kyrie on the court again, that smile on his face in the second half was a game highlight. As far as his role etc for endgames and defensive purposes, Coach K has said he subs by feel, so I imagine he would take into account the points raised upthread and then some. I just hope he has two more weeks or so to work it all out. Maybe in the near term, next game, he does some offense defense subbing with Kyrie, I agree though that you are probably going to want him on the court if you need to score some points in a hurry. Definitely great to have him back and get to see him play again. Go Kyrie! Go Duke!!!

taiw93
03-19-2011, 06:31 PM
It would depend on a lot. Duke up by 7 milking the clock- Kyrie may be good to have on the court as he has a great handle and can hit throws. Down 1 and you need a shot-hmmm-tough call as the kid is a gamer. But I think his D is behind all his fellow Freshman and everyone else - in that sense he could negatively affect the team when you need stops.

I don't know about Kyrie's defense now, but he was absolutely phenomenal before the injury - just ask K-State's Jacob Pullen. He did look a little slow laterally yesterday, but I do think that by next weekend, Kyrie very well could be playing with the game on the line. It is tough, however, to determine whom he'd play over, since our team right now is incredibly deep. If Kyrie keeps on progressing at his rapid pace, I would think we'd play Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, Kyle, and Mason on offense in tight games, and Nolan, Seth, Kyle, Miles, and Mason on defense (not because I think Kyrie would be a liability, but because I think the size and shotblocking ability of the Plumlees is vital in late-game D).

jv001
03-19-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't know if it's his in-experience or he was favoring that foot. He seemed not as quick as he was against Kansas St, because he did a great job on Pullen. I just hope we get by Michigan and he gets another week of practice. Go Duke!

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Any word from today's practice or news conference on how Kyrie is feeling? Sore or anything? All the anti-Duke people were talking yesterday about the real test will be to see how he feels after a game, "much" different than a practice. Lame in my opinion

ncexnyc
03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Any word from today's practice or news conference on how Kyrie is feeling? Sore or anything? All the anti-Duke people were talking yesterday about the real test will be to see how he feels after a game, "much" different than a practice. Lame in my opinion
Why would it be just anti-Duke people asking this question? I believe the day after is always significant in judging whether a player is completely healthy or not after they return from a majpr injury.

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Why would it be just anti-Duke people asking this question? I believe the day after is always significant in judging whether a player is completely healthy or not after they return from a majpr injury.

Sure, everyone can wonder that. And yes I agree with you that you learn a lot from the day after. But Kyrie also participated in practice for 3 days (and I'm sure some of the practices and/or parts of them were game-like in tempo/pace) so its not like a 20 minute game is a huge shock to his foot.

By anti-Duke, I was meaning the people who don't want Duke to do well and are saying (hoping) that Kyrie coming back is a bad thing for him and the chemistry of Duke. Therefore they are making more light of how Kyrie is going to be "so sore" after a game and it may effect him Sunday because they want bad for Duke. Hope that makes sense

devildeac
03-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Shoot, I think even our staff was concerned how he felt on Wednesday after his return to practice on Tuesday. I would think if there were any major concerns, he would have practiced less or not at all on Wednesday/Thursday and we would have seen even less minutes yesterday, if any at all.

_Gary
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Did anyone else think he played very poorly on defense? GO back and watch and he was beatin off the dribble and he kept losing his man when he was not on ball.

Yes, I noticed this but wasn't too concerned by it. Anything Kyrie did on either side of the ball was going to involve some amount of uncertainty and tentativeness. That's only natural. And it's almost always going to be defense that will suffer more so than offense for a guard because you are constantly backing up and unsure of where you will have to move next. But yeah, his defense was pretty poor yesterday compared to his incredible on the ball defense before the injury. Practice will help as Duke hopefully moves forward tomorrow.

Fuqua's Finest
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/kyrie-54175-notebook-charlotte.html

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/kyrie-54175-notebook-charlotte.html

Thanks for the link. All sounds good in Kyrie's World :)

Fuqua's Finest
03-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Enjoy!

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-tournament-Duke-Kyrie-irving-trying-to-rediscover-role-032011