PDA

View Full Version : Phase VI - 2010-11

Kedsy
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I have been asked to post a Phase VI, which as I understand it is the first and (hopefully) second game of the NCAA tournament. So that's Hampton and possibly Michigan or Tennessee.

While there are potentially some interesting issues regarding, e.g., Michigan's 1-3-1 zone and Tennessee's Jekyll and Hyde-like performances, I have chosen to focus exclusively on Duke.

1) Health. They say if you don't have your health, you don't have anything, and you could argue that's an understatement in NCAA tournament basketball. In the ACCT we saw Seth get a hip pointer and Nolan injure his toe, although thankfully both played through the injuries with no apparent ill effects. We just have to knock on wood with crossed fingers and hope (a) those injuries and all the other cuts and bruises heal properly; and (b) that we can stay healthy from here on in.

2) Kyrie. Will he come back? Well, it seems so, although it's still not a lock. Assuming he does, the big questions -- probably the biggest questions of this Phase -- are how close will he be to the Kyrie we saw in November and December? And how successfully will Coach K be able to integrate him into the "current" team?

I expect the answer to the first question is "close enough." With the growth we've seen from the squad without Kyrie, we don't need him to be the same player he was. We need a pair of quick hands on defense, and a way to get easier baskets at critical moments, and if he's far enough along to play he should provide both of those things. Also, Kyrie's return should force other teams to stop concentrating so hard on stopping Nolan, and assuming Nolan plays anywhere near the level we've seen from him in the past three months, if he isn't the primary focus of our opponent's defense, then good things ought to happen.

As far as re-integration, personally I don't think it will be a problem. But I can't say for certain, because when Kyrie played, sometimes it seemed that Kyle and Seth, especially, and the others occasionally, weren't quite on the same page as Kyrie all the time, and weren't quite sure where to go or what to do. The reason I doubt it will be a problem is because I expect Kyrie to make a huge effort to be on the same page as his teammates, rather than forcing them to get on the same page with him. (That sentence may have made more sense in my head than it does on the screen, but I'm sticking with it.)

An interesting ancillary question is the return of the dreaded "big vs. small" debate. Here's what I said in the big vs. small thread:

Against Marquette, Kansas State, and Michigan State, our small lineup averaged nearly 23 minutes a game, more than twice what the small lineup has played since Kyrie was injured (11 minutes a game). Of course that was with Andre playing 23.1 minutes per game while Seth was only playing 17.6 minutes per game, which is important because it was Andre and not Seth who was primarily the third guard in the "small" lineup. Will Seth lose minutes to Andre because of Kyrie's return? Hard to see that the way Seth has been playing. But if he doesn't, it's also hard to see Coach K employing a Nolan/Kyrie/Seth lineup and disrupting our defense as well as we played D in the ACCT.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I am fairly sure of two things: (1) when Kyrie plays, most of the time Nolan will also be on the floor; and (2) when we go "small," most of the time Andre will be the third guard and not Seth. How much we go small, I have no idea.

3) Defense vs. Defensive rebounding Since the beginning of the calendar year, while our overall defense has been up and down, our defensive rebounding has been pretty good. Mason, in particular, has become a great defensive rebounder. In fact, according to Pomeroy, going into the ACC tournament, Mason was the 27th best defensive rebounder in the nation. But a funny thing happened in the ACCT -- our defense tightened up and became a beautiful thing to watch, but our defensive rebounding slipped. Mason only had 3 defensive rebounds against Va Tech and just 4 defensive rebounds against UNC. His national ranking has dropped to 41st. Miles only had 6 defensive rebounds in the entire ACC tournament, while Ryan grabbed just 4.

As a side note, I find it somewhat amusing that many posters here on DBR were critical of our bigs' defensive rebounding toward the end of the regular season when we lost a couple games but our rebounding was pretty good (our three bigs had 17 defensive rebounds at Chapel Hill, for example), but in the ACCT I read threads praising our bigs' rebounding when it was average at best.

Putting that aside, I wonder if within Duke's defensive system we can ever have both great defense and great defensive rebounding. Defensive rebounding has often been an issue for us in the past, because it's difficult to fill the passing lanes properly and still be in position to get the board. Having said that, I'm not sure it matters. If we play defense the way we did in the ACCT, we can afford to give up an extra few offensive rebounds.

4) Andre vs. Seth. Early in the season, Andre was playing great and Seth seemed to have a little trouble finding his way. Later in the season, Seth emerged as a big-time player but Andre seemed to deflate. In the ACCT, they both played well (although neither of them scored more than 11 points in any ACCT game). The question is, can both of them continue to play well, or are we stuck with either one or the other? It seems to me Kyrie's return may make this situation even murkier. Ultimately, I don't have an answer, but I'm hoping they both continue their roll from the ACCT.

5) Kyle's 3-point touch. In an interview during the ACCT, Kyle "guaranteed" his 3-point shot would come back. And clearly he's getting closer -- his 3-pointers during the ACCT looked good out of his hand and were almost all on-line. But this isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, and he only shot 1 for 12 from threeville during the tournament. And like it or not, Kyle's going to keep taking them. He's not going to become exclusively an inside player.

Will Kyle's shots start falling? The next two games would be a great time to find out.

6) Unexpected stuff. You have to expect the unexpected in the post-season tournaments. Good unexpected stuff like Miles getting 8 offensive rebounds against Maryland; or not-so-good, like a rival's 30-some percent outside shooter hitting 6 for 8 from behind the arc and scoring 40 points. If we run into some not-so-good surprises, how will the team react? Will Coach K give us some new wrinkles to debate?

7) Intensity. This is the biggest difference between our late season mini-swoon and our awesome ACCT performance. After the game at Chapel Hill, Nolan said the team was angry. That they didn't want to lose another game. And they played like it in the ACC tournament. The defense against UNC was the most intense we've seen in years.

Can they keep it up? I would argue that the answer to this question alone can predict whether we make the Final Four or not. Will our intensity suffer against lower seeded opponents? Will Kyrie add to the intensity or distract from it?

Here's hoping we can keep the intensity level we attained over the past three games, and that Phase VI is the start of a tournament run to remember.

Go Duke!

COYS
03-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I have been asked to post a Phase VI, which as I understand it is the first and (hopefully) second game of the NCAA tournament. So that's Hampton and possibly Michigan or Tennessee.

While there are potentially some interesting issues regarding, e.g., Michigan's 1-3-1 zone and Tennessee's Jekyll and Hyde-like performances, I have chosen to focus exclusively on Duke.

1) Health. They say if you don't have your health, you don't have anything, and you could argue that's an understatement in NCAA tournament basketball. In the ACCT we saw Seth get a hip pointer and Nolan injure his toe, although thankfully both played through the injuries with no apparent ill effects. We just have to knock on wood with crossed fingers and hope (a) those injuries and all the other cuts and bruises heal properly; and (b) that we can stay healthy from here on in.

2) Kyrie. Will he come back? Well, it seems so, although it's still not a lock. Assuming he does, the big questions -- probably the biggest questions of this Phase -- are how close will he be to the Kyrie we saw in November and December? And how successfully will Coach K be able to integrate him into the "current" team?

I expect the answer to the first question is "close enough." With the growth we've seen from the squad without Kyrie, we don't need him to be the same player he was. We need a pair of quick hands on defense, and a way to get easier baskets at critical moments, and if he's far enough along to play he should provide both of those things. Also, Kyrie's return should force other teams to stop concentrating so hard on stopping Nolan, and assuming Nolan plays anywhere near the level we've seen from him in the past three months, if he isn't the primary focus of our opponent's defense, then good things ought to happen.

As far as re-integration, personally I don't think it will be a problem. But I can't say for certain, because when Kyrie played, sometimes it seemed that Kyle and Seth, especially, and the others occasionally, weren't quite on the same page as Kyrie all the time, and weren't quite sure where to go or what to do. The reason I doubt it will be a problem is because I expect Kyrie to make a huge effort to be on the same page as his teammates, rather than forcing them to get on the same page with him. (That sentence may have made more sense in my head than it does on the screen, but I'm sticking with it.)

An interesting ancillary question is the return of the dreaded "big vs. small" debate. Here's what I said in the big vs. small thread:

Against Marquette, Kansas State, and Michigan State, our small lineup averaged nearly 23 minutes a game, more than twice what the small lineup has played since Kyrie was injured (11 minutes a game). Of course that was with Andre playing 23.1 minutes per game while Seth was only playing 17.6 minutes per game, which is important because it was Andre and not Seth who was primarily the third guard in the "small" lineup. Will Seth lose minutes to Andre because of Kyrie's return? Hard to see that the way Seth has been playing. But if he doesn't, it's also hard to see Coach K employing a Nolan/Kyrie/Seth lineup and disrupting our defense as well as we played D in the ACCT.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I am fairly sure of two things: (1) when Kyrie plays, most of the time Nolan will also be on the floor; and (2) when we go "small," most of the time Andre will be the third guard and not Seth. How much we go small, I have no idea.

3) Defense vs. Defensive rebounding Since the beginning of the calendar year, while our overall defense has been up and down, our defensive rebounding has been pretty good. Mason, in particular, has become a great defensive rebounder. In fact, according to Pomeroy, going into the ACC tournament, Mason was the 27th best defensive rebounder in the nation. But a funny thing happened in the ACCT -- our defense tightened up and became a beautiful thing to watch, but our defensive rebounding slipped. Mason only had 3 defensive rebounds against Va Tech and just 4 defensive rebounds against UNC. His national ranking has dropped to 41st. Miles only had 6 defensive rebounds in the entire ACC tournament, while Ryan grabbed just 4.

As a side note, I find it somewhat amusing that many posters here on DBR were critical of our bigs' defensive rebounding toward the end of the regular season when we lost a couple games but our rebounding was pretty good (our three bigs had 17 defensive rebounds at Chapel Hill, for example), but in the ACCT I read threads praising our bigs' rebounding when it was average at best.

Putting that aside, I wonder if within Duke's defensive system we can ever have both great defense and great defensive rebounding. Defensive rebounding has often been an issue for us in the past, because it's difficult to fill the passing lanes properly and still be in position to get the board. Having said that, I'm not sure it matters. If we play defense the way we did in the ACCT, we can afford to give up an extra few offensive rebounds.

4) Andre vs. Seth. Early in the season, Andre was playing great and Seth seemed to have a little trouble finding his way. Later in the season, Seth emerged as a big-time player but Andre seemed to deflate. In the ACCT, they both played well (although neither of them scored more than 11 points in any ACCT game). The question is, can both of them continue to play well, or are we stuck with either one or the other? It seems to me Kyrie's return may make this situation even murkier. Ultimately, I don't have an answer, but I'm hoping they both continue their roll from the ACCT.

5) Kyle's 3-point touch. In an interview during the ACCT, Kyle "guaranteed" his 3-point shot would come back. And clearly he's getting closer -- his 3-pointers during the ACCT looked good out of his hand and were almost all on-line. But this isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, and he only shot 1 for 12 from threeville during the tournament. And like it or not, Kyle's going to keep taking them. He's not going to become exclusively an inside player.

Will Kyle's shots start falling? The next two games would be a great time to find out.

6) Unexpected stuff. You have to expect the unexpected in the post-season tournaments. Good unexpected stuff like Miles getting 8 offensive rebounds against Maryland; or not-so-good, like a rival's 30-some percent outside shooter hitting 6 for 8 from behind the arc and scoring 40 points. If we run into some not-so-good surprises, how will the team react? Will Coach K give us some new wrinkles to debate?

7) Intensity. This is the biggest difference between our late season mini-swoon and our awesome ACCT performance. After the game at Chapel Hill, Nolan said the team was angry. That they didn't want to lose another game. And they played like it in the ACC tournament. The defense against UNC was the most intense we've seen in years.

Can they keep it up? I would argue that the answer to this question alone can predict whether we make the Final Four or not. Will our intensity suffer against lower seeded opponents? Will Kyrie add to the intensity or distract from it?

Here's hoping we can keep the intensity level we attained over the past three games, and that Phase VI is the start of a tournament run to remember.

Go Duke!

Kedsy, excellent insight, as always!

The news regarding Kyrie is great of course. Personally, I'm not too worried about re-integrating him into the team. In the beginning of the season, Kyrie looked to push the ball all the time . . . something the rest of the team needed some adjusting to. I think K encouraged this because he wanted us to look to run as often as possible and was willing to have us work through some growing pains. I think when Kyrie comes back the biggest change is that we won't look to run every single possession. Kyrie will have the freedom to push it when he's got numbers and his speed, even if slightly diminished, is still a huge asset and will create fast breaks in situations when Nolan and Seth would need to set up the half court offense. That being said, i think we'll still play at the slightly slower pace we adopted after Kyrie's injury. In the half court sets, I think Seth, Kyle, Andre and others will still be receiving the ball in similar places for the most part. One big difference I expect to see with Kyrie is a greater emphasis on drive and kick three point attempts. Nolan has improved his drive and kick ability, but he still usually drives to score. I think Kyrie will kick out a little more frequently.

OldPhiKap
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
K discussed integration at the press conference yesterday, and said that it would be "smooth." His rationale was the great attitude Kyrie showed on the bench, and that the others really wanted to play with him. K also said his play would be limited -- preseason you push kids to set limits, here you make sure you don't exceed limits and hurt something else by compensating (like a hanstring).

FWIW. Which to me is a bunch.

Rich
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
In the half court sets, I think Seth, Kyle, Andre and others will still be receiving the ball in similar places for the most part. One big difference I expect to see with Kyrie is a greater emphasis on drive and kick three point attempts. Nolan has improved his drive and kick ability, but he still usually drives to score. I think Kyrie will kick out a little more frequently.

If we have the Kyrie from the beginning of the season who was able to penetrate to the hoop, I think we will see a spike in the Plumlees offensive production, particularly Mason's, as defenses collapse. Kyrie will not only have the option to kick it out for a three ball, but also drop it off to a big man near the bucket. Mason's best offensive numbers this year were when Kyrie was playing and Mason did not have to create his own shot.

NYBri
03-16-2011, 01:14 PM
If Kyle DOES regain his 3-point touch, things will be very dark for the rest of the field. If he shoots 30%+ from behind the arch, Katie, grab the bar and head toward the door.

Utley
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Kedsy,

Thanks for this detailed and insightful analysis. I really appreciate the time you spend researching the facts, with all the right takeaways added for good measure. A true Blue Devil quality effort.

The point that strikes me the most is the one you made regarding Intensity.
Intensity is what made last year's team special and it definitely felt like this year's team took it to that level in the ACC tournament, particularly the title game.
UNC smacked us at Chapel Hill, but as painful as that loss was, I hope we look back at that game as the spark that lead this team's run to greatness.

I also hope that we find the 2007 Florida team as a good analogue to this team. Florida unexpectedly won the title in 2006 but in 2007, despite an impressive regular season record meriting a #1 seed, never got it to fully clique before March. They turned it up a notch in the Tournament and were in control throughout (including beating a very good Ohio State team to extend the parallel). I know the analogy is not perfect, as we lost a lot more of who got us our championship, but I do think this was a case of really talented team who won the prior year that turned up the intensity at the right time and repeated.

Newton_14
03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Great post Kedsy! Thanks for keeping this going. From your list I am most interested to watch the below 3 things.

1. The Integration of Kyrie. We have the best in the business in Coach K and if anyone can make this work he can. The number 1 thing I want to see with Kyrie back is for us to run more. The more easy baskets we can get from fast breaks the better. That takes so much pressure off of the defense and off the half-court offense. Would also like to see us ramp up the pressure defense on the ball. We did that already in the ACC-T, and with Kyrie back we have one more good defender to utilize. Though defense is one area where not being in game shape will impact Kyrie. It will take some time for him to be able to defend at the level he was at before the injury.

2. The Effect on Andre and Seth: I fully believe that for this team to be all it can be, it means having both Seth and Andre play at a high level and make contributions. Andre bounced back in a big way in the tourney on both ends of the floor, and Seth has taken his game up a notch as well. The last thing we need is for either guy to regress with the insertion of Kyrie back into the mix.

3. Kyle's 3-Point Shot: This mystery has left me scratching my head and searching for answers. From the moment he walked in the door at Duke, Kyle showed the ability to hit the 3. He also showed the ability to hit timely 3's late in the game or during key points in a given game. He did this for 3 years. This summer while on the Select Team, the NBA guys on the National Team raved about Kyle's shooting ability. In the preseason and exhibition games to start the year, Kyle shot the ball well. I have never seen a shooter of Kyle's caliber go into a slump that lasted this long. It just makes no sense. I have to believe the day is coming where Kyle goes nuts from behind the line and reminds everyone in a big way that he can make 3's again. It will not be a one game anomaly either.

dukestheheat
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
K discussed integration at the press conference yesterday, and said that it would be "smooth." His rationale was the great attitude Kyrie showed on the bench, and that the others really wanted to play with him. K also said his play would be limited -- preseason you push kids to set limits, here you make sure you don't exceed limits and hurt something else by compensating (like a hanstring).

FWIW. Which to me is a bunch.

To have the chance to see him play again is just a blessing, to me. His raw acceleration WITH the ball was something to witness, pre-injury, and I wonder if I'll ever see that again?! I know he's wearing a special shoe crafted by Nike to lessen the impact on the injured segment of the foot, and I'm sure that's helping him, BUT I hope it doesn't make him a different player than he was. Dude was just pure electricity in the open court and in blowing by people. I am sure he's chomping at the bit to get back out there; Duke also needs his many skills so they're thrilled. It's a win for everyone; we're all 'winning' with Kyrie returning! ;)

Man if he can just score 12 points and get some steals and spread out the whole team like he did pre-toe, Duke is looking goooooooooooooooood! You know Nolan is relishing coming off screens and getting the ball on the bounce! And Kyle can't wait to move over one more spot away from the ball so he can post and slash and get to the line! And Mason's probably had a little 'Get Well Kyrie' kupie doll he's been taking care of the last three months!

Let's Go Duke and let's Go Kyrie!

dukestheheat.

superdave
03-16-2011, 10:29 PM

Go Duke!

As far as unexpected stuff, we saw a bit of that in the ACCT with Ryan hitting 12-18 field goals. Our scoring was more balanced as well. If our entire rotation can continue to put up a couple of field goals a piece for the duration, that would be my ideal "unexpected stuff".

Duke came out of the gate with great intensity vs. Carolina. 8-0 run to start; 24-8 by the time Roy got up from his panicked squat (http://tarheelmania.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/roy-williams.jpg). With our defensive ability (on full display in ACCT championship game), a fast start could knock teams back and cause them to completely abandon their gameplan.

I'd love to see Kyrie play 10 minutes on Friday just to get used to game speed. We dont need production out of him just yet, but we do need to hone in on what scenarios he should be in the game for vs. when it's best to go with Nolan and Seth in the backcourt.

superdave
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Go Duke!

The Michigan game was really interesting on the intensity issue and the Kyrie Reintegration Project.

Coach K called a timeout a couple of minutes into the 2nd half because he felt Duke was not playing with enough energy. Since this has been an issue previously this season, I'm glad to see the timeout and Coach K manage it to avoid a problem. Nolan really stepped up with 10 straight points after the timeout.

Kyrie played a lot more crunch time minutes than I was expecting. I think that was due to two things - first, Seth was not shooting the ball particularly well and was a little passive on offense and second, Kyrie was our #2 option behind Nolan for pentrating the confounding 1-3-1. I hope to see Kyrie push the tempo more as he gets back into flow, but he seems to be feeling his way along for now.