PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Klemnop

tieguy
03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
This Clemson team has grown on me. I think they're quite capable of beating WVU and giving UK fits. Go out and represent, guys... and enjoy, Klem, even if it doesn't quite require us bailing you out from a Chapel Hill jail ;)

DevilHorns
03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Brownell won an NCAA tourney game with Clemson on his first try.

If I remember correctly, Purnell had failed to win even one during his entire tenure at Clemson.

Greg_Newton
03-16-2011, 12:27 AM

If I remember correctly, Purnell had failed to win even one during his entire tenure at Clemson.

I don't like the fact that a 12/12 game counts as a "tournament win", but congrats regardless. I've got Klempson beating WVU - go tigers!

Klemnop
03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
:cool:
This Clemson team has grown on me. I think they're quite capable of beating WVU and giving UK fits. Go out and represent, guys... and enjoy, Klem, even if it doesn't quite require us bailing you out from a Chapel Hill jail ;)

Thanks. Much appreciated.

The turnaround to Thursday AM is either a huge blessing or a horrible curse. We'll (literally) know soon enough.

If I'm the NCAA Selection Cmte I've got to seriously question myself: if I'm going to put a really bad team into the tournament (like UAB) I probably ought to be careful not to match them up against a vastly under-seeded team (like Clemson.) Just fodder for the wolves.

I'm not complaining. I was happy for Clemson to get selected. I'm happy for them to advance. I'm happy to feel, officially, like part of the Dance...at least for a couple of days.

Klem

77devil
03-16-2011, 12:41 AM

The turnaround to Thursday AM is either a huge blessing or a horrible curse. We'll (literally) know soon enough.

If I'm the NCAA Selection Cmte I've got to seriously question myself: if I'm going to put a really bad team into the tournament (like UAB) I probably ought to be careful not to match them up against a vastly under-seeded team (like Clemson.) Just fodder for the wolves.

I'm not complaining. I was happy for Clemson to get selected. I'm happy for them to advance. I'm happy to feel, officially, like part of the Dance...at least for a couple of days.

Klem

I've picked Clemson to beat WVU on Thursday, but not feeling particularly good about it. Its not like the Tigers never fold like a cheap suit in the Big Dance. C'mon Klemnop, this year will be different won't it?

Namtilal
03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Conferences get paid per win for the tourney, right? I assume this win is one full victory share for the ACC.

superdave
03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Klem

Klem

The ACC needs Brownell to keep getting better! Please pass the message along. Also, if he has any buddies who want to coach at State, tell them to contact debbie_yow @ athletics.state.org.

Super Dave

JTH
03-16-2011, 09:26 AM
The tigers looked really sharp last night. I really, really hope you bring it against W Va.

wilson
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Conferences get paid per win for the tourney, right? I assume this win is one full victory share for the ACC.According to Jay Bilas (http://twitter.com/jaybilas), it is (have to scroll down a bit to get to the tweet in question):
"The winners of "First Round" games make money from a win. They get "units" for games, which equals money over time. Better deal, in a way."

Incidentally, I'm not a Twitterererer, but Jay's feed almost makes me want to sign up just so I can follow him. If I couldn't read his tweets without registering, I probably would sign up.

RockyMtDevil
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Without this game, they would have rolled WVU by double digits, my fear is the quick turnaround and flight will hurt them immensley. Why not play the first round where they are going to play the real first round?

the NCAA is absolutely stupid on so many fronts. This is a severe unlevel playing field for them to have to fly to Tampa on the red-eye just to make it to play an EARLY game on Thursday. They obviously do not want these lower seeds advancing. And how is Clemson a 12 anyway? Agh, I could go on....................

Go Tigers! Represent the ACC!

patentgeek
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
I thought Clemson was pretty impressive last night - they certainly dominated UAB. I'm hoping this means that the ACC is better than the committee gave it credit for (as opposed to UAB just not being very good to start with). For what it's worth, I certainly think that VT would have made a better showing than UAB.

I also note that, as of this writing, Pomeroy actually favors Clemson over WVU (their next game) on a neutral floor. I'd love to see Clemson stick it to a BIg East team.

tieguy
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I also note that, as of this writing, Pomeroy actually favors Clemson over WVU (their next game) on a neutral floor. I'd love to see Clemson stick it to a BIg East team.

Huh, hadn't noticed that (though only barely- 51%!) FSU favored too. Would be great if all four ACC teams made it to the round of 32.

Luis

Scorp4me
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Not sure that's a fair comparison. I'm happy Clemson won and want them to keep winning, but was Purnell ever in a play in game. Should a play in game even count as a tourney win? I mean I suppose our ideas of what is what will change moving forward, but in comparison?

Let's just hope Clemson wins their next game so that it's a moot point.

wilko
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
The tigers looked really sharp last night. I really, really hope you bring it against W Va.

I watched until halftime. Tigers were working hard and looking good. UAB made a ton of 3's to get back to respectable a respectable halftime margin. Lesser Clemson teams would have wilted as they have in the past. Not this time.

I am surprised at the final differential.
Apparently they found another gear and poured it on... Good for Clemson.
Good for the League.

Right now is important for NEXT years tournament selection. I hope Clemson and FSU (Did I really say that?) have strong runs and knock out some teams to restore some of the ACC's former luster.

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I picked Clemson into the Sweet 16. They have already played their 1st tournament game (and they played well) so they got the jitters out. Seems that they are gonna play loose and they'll surprise WVU. I'm just not that impressed with UK, plus I hate them so I want Clemson to win. Then the magic will wear off. But they will make Brownell and the tigger faithful proud.
FWIW, I also picked FSU to do some upsetting.

Acymetric
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I picked Clemson into the Sweet 16. They have already played their 1st tournament game (and they played well) so they got the jitters out. Seems that they are gonna play loose and they'll surprise WVU. I'm just not that impressed with UK, plus I hate them so I want Clemson to win. Then the magic will wear off. But they will make Brownell and the tigger faithful proud.
FWIW, I also picked FSU to do some upsetting.

*Knock on wood*

I did the same in all my brackets...and for the record I picked them there before the game yesterday. They are grossly underseeded.