PDA

View Full Version : NC State Coaching Search

RockLobster
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6220369

davekay1971
03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Not a huge deal, since Sidney was almost certainly gone either way, but I'm glad he's making the decision to resign rather than be fired. It's good for him, and, I suspect at least as importantly to Sid, good for the program.

Classy, good guy from start to finish. Hope he lands on his feet.

SCMatt33
03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Not a huge deal, since Sidney was almost certainly gone either way, but I'm glad he's making the decision to resign rather than be fired. It's good for him, and, I suspect at least as importantly to Sid, good for the program.

Classy, good guy from start to finish. Hope he lands on his feet.

Something tells me that he's not "making the decision" to resign, but was allowed to resign on his own. I'm guessing that either State was nice enough to give him compensation as if he were fired, or his contract was bad enough that it didn't entitle him to much compensation at all. Either way, I don't see this a a preemptive move like Sendek since it doesn't appear that he already has another job lined up.

wilko
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll be sad to see the "Tomato" go. Hero who didn't get it done. I wish him well.

They may actually get a top shelf person to fill job this time. While on one level I would welcome someone ELSE in the League to step up and give UNC a fight; I don't want them to beat us regularly or anything....

Any chance that someone on our bench gets a call? Either Chris or Wojo have any interest in a HC job where they wouldn't even have to move to accept?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Hate to see Sid go. I thought he was a great classy guy and I really thought they were going to make some noise this year.

On the bright side who ever comes in does not have that tough a job to start like most programs would when you come in.

Ryan Harrow is a solid 3 to 4 yr guy at pg and by solid he should be the starter and a darn good one at that.

Lorenzo Brown should have the 2 guard spot secure for 3 more years

Scott Wood is only a sophmore and a good sf and threat from 3.

decent recruiting class coming in

Now we got to see if CJ Leslie will stay but I doubt he will. He is projected lottery to mid 1st rd of the NBA draft

JasonEvans
03-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Any chance that someone on our bench gets a call? Either Chris or Wojo have any interest in a HC job where they wouldn't even have to move to accept?

Folks, can we please put this stuff to bed when it comes to ACC openings. I cannot fathom a "rival school picking someone closely associated with Duke for their head coaching job. Maybe... maybe... if that person had been away from Duke for a long time -- like Mike Brey perhaps -- I could see it happening. But, the notion that a current Duke assistant who was a well-known player while at Duke would get a job as the head coach at another ACC school... it just ain't going to happen.

Heck, even guys like Tommy, Capel, and JD, who have been away from Duke for some time, are so linked to K as a result of their time playing here that I have a hard time seeing how a rival ACC school would pursue them. It could maybe happen, but still seems quite unlikely.

--Jason "my bet is that State tries to throw a LOT of money at Sean Miller, who was an assistant at State from 1996-2001, in an effort to lure him away from Arizona" Evans

BD80
03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
--Jason "my bet is that State tries to throw a LOT of money at Sean Miller, who was an assistant at State from 1996-2001, in an effort to lure him away from Arizona" Evans

Oooooh. Wouldn't that trigger an escalation in coaching salaries! If UA loses Miller, do they try to lure back Pastner?

4decadedukie
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I am sorry -- but obviously not surprised -- that Sid is leaving State. In my opinion, he is a good man and a good coach, just as Herb Sendek is. This suggests, however, that NCSU's fundamental problems may not be easily resolved by yet another "coaching change."

wilko
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I cannot fathom a "rival school picking someone closely associated with Duke for their head coaching job. Maybe... maybe... if that person had been away from Duke for a long time -- like Mike Brey perhaps -- I could see it happening.

But, the notion that a current Duke assistant who was a well-known player while at Duke would get a job as the head coach at another ACC school... it just ain't going to happen.

It could maybe happen, but still seems quite unlikely.

Don't beat around the bush, Jason how do really feel? :-)
I'll agree that its unlikely, but never say never....

Bucky Waters played at State and Coached for us... Lefty well you know that one. There is a precedent, but its really ancient history.

I'm not backing up the truck to help anyone move... but its an interesting possibility. Everything that I've heard on the local Raleigh radio has them looking for "Big name - Big Splash" candidates; so I doubt any of our guys are on the radar anyway..

BUT - Knowing the area, knowing the school, knowing the tradition, having some local ties they could do worse.. S'all I'm saying..

JasonEvans
03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
...decent recruiting class coming in...

Not really.

Jaqawn Raymond is not ranked by any of the recruiting services. State is the only BCS conference team to offer him from what I can tell.

Tyler Harris is a top 150 kinda recruit, but not a kid who you would expect to make much of an impact from day one in the ACC. Plus, as a wing he plays a position in which State already has plenty of talent.

Joseph Uchebo is a top 100 recruit, but just barely. He has good size and bulk (6-9, 240) but is not much of an athlete. He fills a major need for State with Tracy Smith leaving, but he is gonna need a fair amount of seasoning before he can play with the likes of Plumlees, Zeller, and the other decent big men in the ACC.

Still, I agree with your overall premise that there are some decent pieces in place at State and whoever comes there next has a good shot at being at least somewhat successful fairly quickly.

--Jason "for all the nice things said about Sid in this thread-- remember, he never finished higher than T-9th in the conference" Evans

dukebluesincebirth
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Sorry to see Sid the Kid go. I really thought he would be much more successful at NCSU than he was. It must be unbelievably hard trying to recruit against K and Roy year in, year out. Every time I think about the head coaching position at State, I just feel like they've still never found that guy to replace the great Jimmy V. I think it will take someone with his type of charisma to get this team competing on the national level again. Sidney Lowe just didn't have it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't beat around the bush, Jason how do really feel? :-)
I'll agree that its unlikely, but never say never....

Bucky Waters played at State and Coached for us... Lefty well you know that one. There is a precedent, but its really ancient history.

I'm not backing up the truck to help anyone move... but its an interesting possibility. Everything that I've heard on the local Raleigh radio has them looking for "Big name - Big Splash" candidates; so I doubt any of our guys are on the radar anyway..

BUT - Knowing the area, knowing the school, knowing the tradition, having some local ties they could do worse.. S'all I'm saying..

When you're listing coaches who played for a rival, don't leave out Vic Bubas, perhaps the most noteworthy one. Bubas played at NC State for the Ole Gary Fox and was also an assistant for Everett Case before Eddie Cameron invited him to leave the red for a beautiful shade of blue.

moonpie23
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
they should try to get mark few......he's an excellent coach and could possibly be looking to move up from gonzaga and onto a bigger stage...

wilko
03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
When you're listing coaches who played for a rival, don't leave out Vic Bubas, perhaps the most noteworthy one. Bubas played at NC State for the Ole Gary Fox and was also an assistant for Everett Case before Eddie Cameron invited him to leave the red for a beautiful shade of blue.

Indeed!! How could I have missed that?
Even still, it reinforces the point that it DOES happen from time to time...

loran16
03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
NC State under Lowe has been fine in recruiting in general (though not next year apparently, though Lowe's hot job seat may have hurt that recruiting). J.J. Hickson was supposed to be a star as was C.J. Leslie. Tracy Smith is also very talented.

Lowe's probably is an inability to coach. He's an inferior Paul Hewitt: he can recruit decently well (though not as well as Hewitt) but can't manage the talent so it underperforms.

State is better off now than last week.

JasonEvans
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I am sorry -- but obviously not surprised -- that Sid is leaving State. In my opinion, he is a good man and a good coach, just as Herb Sendek is. This suggests, however, that NCSU's fundamental problems may not be easily resolved by yet another "coaching change."

What makes you say he was a good coach? His recruiting was pretty good, but he never translated it into wins. When he arrived, State had been to 5 straight NCAA tournaments. He never made one. State won 5, 4, 6, 5, and 5 ACC games in his 5 seasons. They lost between 14 and 16 games in every one of his years there. He was certainly not known as someone who was innovative or creative in terms of his game preparation or in-game strategy.

Seriously. I am not trying to be mean, but what can anyone point to in order to prove that Sid was a good coach?

He didn't run the State program into the ground. He wasn't corrupt or embarrassing. But he wasn't what I would call a "good coach" either.

--Jason "just my opinion" Evans

Rudy
03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm sad to see Sidney go but agree his coaching performance wasn't good.

Still, he was the leader of the most amazing championship run since I started watching basketball and that was a thrill. Sounds like the separation is with a minimal amount of bitterness, which is good all around.

Mal
03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Dear NC State:

Please aim high in your coaching search, and don't compromise. I know your program's reputation is nowhere near where it was 20 years ago, but this conference needs you to be better at basketball. Much better.

Sincerely,

- Duke

cc: North Carolina

ps - please forward this note to Georgia Tech

ChicagoCrazy84
03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I understand what Jason is saying but I'd honestly be surprised if you don't hear Capel's name come up in regards to NCSU. The guy had success at VCU and some at Oklahoma. I still think he would've been able to right the ship at OU if he had the chance. Last year with Willie Warren and TMG was a train wreck but I think it's something he would've learned from. He's a good young coach who I still think has a good future.

davekay1971
03-15-2011, 06:03 PM
I strongly suspect that Sean Miller is choice 1a, 1b, and 1c on State's list. That makes the most sense. He's young, he has NCSU connections (assistant coach with Herb, and his younger brother, Archie, who is an assistant for Sean AND played PG at State), and he'll excite the fanbase based on his performance at Arizona. He's an excellent young coach and would likely be able to recruit well AND have the team perform well on the floor.

Agree with the above poster that Debbie Yow will probably throw a lot of money at him. He could easily be a coach-for-the-next-20+-years kind of guy.

Aditya
03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry to see Sid the Kid go. I really thought he would be much more successful at NCSU than he was. It must be unbelievably hard trying to recruit against K and Roy year in, year out. Every time I think about the head coaching position at State, I just feel like they've still never found that guy to replace the great Jimmy V. I think it will take someone with his type of charisma to get this team competing on the national level again. Sidney Lowe just didn't have it.

I think at this point replacing Herb Sendek would be a win.

Acymetric
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Ouch...Sydney Lowe show just came on Fox Sports.

Awkward...

sagegrouse
03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Folks, can we please put this stuff to bed when it comes to ACC openings. I cannot fathom a "rival school picking someone closely associated with Duke for their head coaching job. Maybe... maybe... if that person had been away from Duke for a long time -- like Mike Brey perhaps -- I could see it happening. But, the notion that a current Duke assistant who was a well-known player while at Duke would get a job as the head coach at another ACC school... it just ain't going to happen.

Heck, even guys like Tommy, Capel, and JD, who have been away from Duke for some time, are so linked to K as a result of their time playing here that I have a hard time seeing how a rival ACC school would pursue them. It could maybe happen, but still seems quite unlikely.

I disagree strongly that a Duke link would taint a candidate. But the real problem is that any assistant would be disqualified. The ACC teams almost always hire head coaches with prior head coaching experience. In fact let's name the last several assistant coaches without prior head coaching experience who became head coaches in the ACC.

(1) Bill Guthridge, who was given a battlefield promotion when Dean Smith suddenly retired as the season was starting;

(2) Frank Haith, although Miami was not in the ACC when he was hired in 2004;

(3) Jeff Jones, who was on the bench at UVa in 1990 when Terry Holland moved up to AD;

(4) Let's agree not to count Vic Bubas (1959) and Dean Smith (1961);

(5) Who am I missing?

sagegrouse

-bdbd
03-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I understand what Jason is saying but I'd honestly be surprised if you don't hear Capel's name come up in regards to NCSU. The guy had success at VCU and some at Oklahoma. I still think he would've been able to right the ship at OU if he had the chance. Last year with Willie Warren and TMG was a train wreck but I think it's something he would've learned from. He's a good young coach who I still think has a good future.

The link that was posted on the "Coaching Changes" thread last night, foreshadowing this change today, lists likely candidates as: Barnes, Tubby Smith, Miller and Fox. But Fox would come with a $2M "departure tax" from UVA. And Tubby could be just looking for contract leverage, again, with Minn. Barnes wasn't interested LAST time, and his team is still pretty damn good. So Miller seems to make sense. Just not sure how loyal he is to his alma mater.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/nc-state-to-fire-sidney-lowe-hire-search-firm-29559

Per Jason's arguments, I don't think it is impossible that a K protege gets picked up for an ACC HC gig. As stated, it HAS happened before -- and K certainly implies immediate credibility throughout the conference (and beyond). But it seems less likely that they take someone straight off of K's bench (Wojo or Collins). I wouldn't be shocked to see NCSU go after that Notre Dame guy...;) or Capel, but I kind of think Capel may be a better fit at Ga Tech.... and there may be less hesitation about hiring "a Duke/K guy" at a conference school 400 miles away. Question is can they afford him after paying for Hewitt's golden parachute??

AlaskanAssassin
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
In other related news, CJ Leslie will return to NCSU. Tweeted by DraftExpress.

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/47713491120959488

theAlaskanBear
03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I strongly suspect that Sean Miller is choice 1a, 1b, and 1c on State's list. That makes the most sense. He's young, he has NCSU connections (assistant coach with Herb, and his younger brother, Archie, who is an assistant for Sean AND played PG at State), and he'll excite the fanbase based on his performance at Arizona. He's an excellent young coach and would likely be able to recruit well AND have the team perform well on the floor.

Agree with the above poster that Debbie Yow will probably throw a lot of money at him. He could easily be a coach-for-the-next-20+-years kind of guy.

I have a hard time seeing Miller make another move so soon after the his last. He is at a flagship program -- only UCLA has had a better rep on the west coast the last 10-20 years.

What about someone like Mike Davis?

throatybeard
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
If I'm Mark Few, I don't touch State with Rick Barnes' 15-foot pole. Few has a sweet thing going, is a legend where he is, and really shouldn't leave for anything but a top 10 program, which State isn't at this time.

Newton_14
03-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I listened to the Yow press conference today. The lady is very impressive. I especially liked the answer she gave, when the reporter asked the following question:

Reporter: "What do you say to the coach in the interview, if he points out that the job is made much more difficult with Duke and UNC so close"

Yow: "I tell him thanks for the time and we will be pursuing another candidate, and then I show him out the door".

She made it crystal clear that she wants a man that will embrace the Duke/UNC situation, see it as a challenge, and will say to her "I can beat them and here's what I need to do it".

She also made it very clear that she has a short list, has had that short list, and every name on it is not only coaching in this year's NCAA tourney, but has shown the ability to take his team there often. She said her compensation package for the "right man" will be competitive with the going rate for top notch coaches.

Lastly, she asked for patience, in that this was a process that would take time, and she would not be sharing information until it was over. She is forming a search committee of 4 people, 2 from inside the athletic dept, and 2 from outside the athletic dept (all NC State people). She expects to hire the searching firm tomorrow.

Monte Towe was retained and takes over the day to day running of the program until the coach is in place.

I fully believe Sean Miller is her first choice and suspect Rick Barnes is not far down the list. Also hearing that Mark Turgeon is high on the list as well. WRAL likely has the entire press conference linked on their site for those that are interested.

This coaching search will go far differently than the previous one. She has a plan, and intends on following it until she has her man.

I came away very impressed.

Edit: Here is the link to the press conference:http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/9274227/#/vid9274227

CDu
03-15-2011, 08:58 PM
If I'm Mark Few, I don't touch State with Rick Barnes' 15-foot pole. Few has a sweet thing going, is a legend where he is, and really shouldn't leave for anything but a top 10 program, which State isn't at this time.

That's a weird choice of words. But I agree - Few has come up as an option for better opportunities than NC State over the years and he has turned them down. I suspect he's staying put.

I also have trouble seeing Sean Miller leaving Arizona unless State REALLY pays him. He's at a flagship program (and one with a more recent history of relevance) and he seems to be doing well there.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Acymetric
03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
I listened to the Yow press conference today. The lady is very impressive. I especially liked the answer she gave, when the reporter asked the following question:

Reporter: "What do you say to the coach in the interview, if he points out that the job is made much more difficult with Duke and UNC so close"

Yow: "I tell him thanks for the time and we will be pursuing another candidate, and then I show him out the door".

She made it crystal clear that she wants a man that will embrace the Duke/UNC situation, see it as a challenge, and will say to her "I can beat them and here's what I need to do it".

She also made it very clear that she has a short list, has had that short list, and every name on it is not only coaching in this year's NCAA tourney, but has shown the ability to take his team there often. She said her compensation package for the "right man" will be competitive with the going rate for top notch coaches.

Lastly, she asked for patience, in that this was a process that would take time, and she would not be sharing information until it was over. She is forming a search committee of 4 people, 2 from inside the athletic dept, and 2 from outside the athletic dept (all NC State people). She expects to hire the searching firm tomorrow.

Monte Towe was retained and takes over the day to day running of the program until the coach is in place.

I fully believe Sean Miller is her first choice and suspect Rick Barnes is not far down the list. Also hearing that Mark Turgeon is high on the list as well. WRAL likely has the entire press conference linked on their site for those that are interested.

This coaching search will go far differently than the previous one. She has a plan, and intends on following it until she has her man.

Debbie Yow is a very good AD, from what I've seen. As one who would like to see State really take the next step I hope she hits a homerun here. After that we just need to get Wake on the same page and after that I could care less about the rest of the teams in the ACC.

NC-centric? Nah...;)

Newton_14
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Debbie Yow is a very good AD, from what I've seen. As one who would like to see State really take the next step I hope she hits a homerun here. After that we just need to get Wake on the same page and after that I could care less about the rest of the teams in the ACC.

NC-centric? Nah...;)

I feel the same way. I always want Duke to be on top obviously, but the league needs Wake and NC State to have strong programs that are mainstays in the NCAA tourney year in and year out. The reason the ACC fell so far down is coaching and the only way back to the top is through getting top quality coaches back in the league. That's my take on it anyway.

77devil
03-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Edit: Here is the link to the press conference:http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/9274227/#/vid9274227

Lee Fowler had a short list too. It simply became a lot longer as everyone declined. And State purportedly was ready to throw a bank full of money at Calapari so comp. probably was never the issue.

We'll see who Debbie signs and how well he does. I've had a few interactions with her when she was at MD. and found her more arrogant than impressive. Debbie may be severely underestimating the Duke/UNC factor in attracting a top candidate, and the degree of difficulty the next coach will encounter to be successful, notwithstanding what he has accomplished and where thus far.

One thing is pretty certain, Gary Williams is not the template.

roywhite
03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
If NC State and GaTech make good choices for new coaches.....a big "if", but quite possible, I think we are really in for a resurgence of the ACC.

Good quality coaches are the key; there's K, Ole Roy, and Gary as the talented elders and good newcomers like Brownell, Donahue, and Bennett. Upgrades at NCSU and Tech would be a very important step for the conference's return to the top level.

Devilsfan
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
There's the former Oklahoma coach, the curent coaches at Notre Dame, Harvard, Two great associate coaches at Duke, the former Mo. coach, lots of great choices that NCSU will not even consider.

LSanders
03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Interesting take on El Sid from the viewpoint of a parent:

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/March-2011/Pack-parent--Lowe-was-too-much-of-a-perfectionist-

From the description given ... Too rigid ... Fixated on making players fit his system rather than molding the system to fit their talents ... He sounds like the anti-K.

Devilsfan
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Sounds like ol'roy with less talent.

Kfanarmy
03-15-2011, 11:40 PM
they should try to get mark few......he's an excellent coach and could possibly be looking to move up from gonzaga and onto a bigger stage... that's an interesting take though I remember some commentators saying not so long ago that Mark Few was with the Zags to stay.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Lee Fowler had a short list too. It simply became a lot longer as everyone declined. And State purportedly was ready to throw a bank full of money at Calapari so comp. probably was never the issue.

We'll see who Debbie signs and how well he does. I've had a few interactions with her when she was at MD. and found her more arrogant than impressive. Debbie may be severely underestimating the Duke/UNC factor in attracting a top candidate, and the degree of difficulty the next coach will encounter to be successful, notwithstanding what he has accomplished and where thus far.

Lee Fowler was (and, I presume, still is) an idiot.

There is nothing wrong with talking to a dream coaching candidate or two -- when Bill Foster quit in 1980, the first person Tom Butters offered the Duke job to was Bob Knight -- but there's got to be a progression between Barnes, Calipari and Beilein (who actually accepted the job -- they just coyuldn't deal with his buyout).

I don't blame Fowler too much for going after the big three (although I would think he could have done it a little more behind the scenes). My problem is after missing on the home run, he hires a guy with no college coaching experience, no college degree (Sidney had to pass a summer course at St. Paul's to graduate) and a lousy record as a pro head coach.

There wasn't a hungry young mid-major coach that Fowler could have pursued? You know, like Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Valvano in 1981? Like Brad Brownell or Steve Donhoue in 2010? Like Ohio State did with Thad Motta?

I would expect Yow to touch base with Sean Miller and maybe Jamie Dixon or Rick Barnes, but unless one of them shows real interest (and is willing to make a relatively quick committment), she moves on to the real candidates -- guys like Brian Gregory, Shaka Smart, Cuozo Martin or Chris Mooney ... somebody of that ilk. State can get a good coach, somebvody fairly young with a good track record at a smaller school. It's just up to Yow to get the right one. She's a former coach herself, so I expect that she'll make a good hire.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2011, 01:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with talking to a dream coaching candidate or two.

Although Brad Stevens is probably off the table with that contract. Just throwing the name out there, someone would have anyway.

Chris Mack? For a program like State, shouldn't the first question be, who's coaching Xavier nowadays?

lotusland
03-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Greg Marshall

Reilly
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Greg Marshall

I think it's two "g"'s Gregg ... and that's exactly who I was thinking of. He seems to have the chip on his shoulder to welcome mixing it up with the legends in the area.

4decadedukie
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
What makes you say he was a good coach? His recruiting was pretty good, but he never translated it into wins. When he arrived, State had been to 5 straight NCAA tournaments. He never made one. State won 5, 4, 6, 5, and 5 ACC games in his 5 seasons. They lost between 14 and 16 games in every one of his years there. He was certainly not known as someone who was innovative or creative in terms of his game preparation or in-game strategy.

Seriously. I am not trying to be mean, but what can anyone point to in order to prove that Sid was a good coach?

He didn't run the State program into the ground. He wasn't corrupt or embarrassing. But he wasn't what I would call a "good coach" either.

--Jason "just my opinion" Evans

Jason,

My rationale follows (not in prioritized order):
- Overall winning record
- 2007 upset victory over #3 UNC
- 2010 upset victory over #7 Duke
- Some reasonable recruiting (Leslie, Brown and Harrow are examples)
- Competed in the ACC Tournament Championship game
- Reasonable player academics and behavioral performance (in an era where this seems increasingly uncommon)

With this said, your implication is fundamentally correct: Based on factual information alone, Sid was not a stellar head coach. However, he cared -- and cares -- passionately for State and he certainly seems to be a fundamentally gentlemanly, honorable and decent individual (during a period where this is far from universal). I suspect the qualitative elements outlined in this paragraph are even more critical to me than the factual ones (or lack of them) delineated in the first paragraph.

Olympic Fan
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Jason,

My rationale follows (not in prioritized order):
- Overall winning record
- 2007 upset victory over #3 UNC
- 2010 upset victory over #7 Duke
- Some reasonable recruiting (Leslie, Brown and Harrow are examples)
- Competed in the ACC Tournament Championship game
- Reasonable player academics and behavioral performance (in an era where this seems increasingly uncommon)

With this said, your implication is fundamentally correct: Based on factual information alone, Sid was not a stellar head coach. However, he cared -- and cares -- passionately for State and he certainly seems to be a fundamentally gentlemanly, honorable and decent individual (during a period where this is far from universal). I suspect the qualitative elements outlined in this paragraph are even more critical to me than the factual ones (or lack of them) delineated in the first paragraph.

And against that "success" are the two simple facts:

(1) State had the worst cumulative ACC record of any of the 12 ACC schools during his five-year tenure.

(2) State was the only ACC team without an NCAA appearance during his five-year tenue.

I don't think a couple of upset wins, an overall winning record or a 2007 run to the ACC Tourney finals offsets those two horrendous facts. He had to go.

4decadedukie
03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
He had to go.

I agree (always have).

duke79
03-16-2011, 01:08 PM
And against that "success" are the two simple facts:

(1) State had the worst cumulative ACC record of any of the 12 ACC schools during his five-year tenure.

(2) State was the only ACC team without an NCAA appearance during his five-year tenue.

I don't think a couple of upset wins, an overall winning record or a 2007 run to the ACC Tourney finals offsets those two horrendous facts. He had to go.

Yea, as Debbie Yow said in the news conference, you have to win to remain as the head coach at an ACC school or other top basketball school. Sidney Lowe may be a fine person in every other respect, but he didn't win, so he is gone (albeit with a $900,000 severance package - I'd gladly be fired for that sort of money). I mean, Jesus Christ himself would be fired if he had a losing record over five years at an ACC school. College basketball can be a harsh business at the high levels. After all, people were calling for Coack K to be fired after a couple of losing seasons at the beginning. IMHO, NC State may have a hard time getting a legitimate big time coach at a winning program to take over. I think there are many negatives to the State job (and some positives), not the least of which is trying to compete with Duke and UNC both on the basketball court and in recruiting. They may be better to try to find an up and coming coach from either a smaller school or a highly regarded assistant from a larger program and hope he can build a winning program. Good luck to them. It would be nice to see a little more competition in the ACC.

DevilWearsPrada
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I knew this day was coming. And I was very sad, not only for Sidney Lowe and his staff but for NC State as well.

Sidney was someone we loved on the Cardiac Pack National Championship Team! He has always seemed to be a honorable and accountable gentleman. I thought his team was going to turn a corner this year, but it never came into fruition.

I hope Debbie Yow and the search team, find a up and rising coach, that will restore some order to NCState. Someone, like Brad Stevens (Butler Univ), but not Brad..he is staying at Butler. I hope the players and the recruits stay committed to State, and let the search committee complete the search, it will take beyond the NCAA tournament.

Although I am still sad to see Coach Lowe and his staff gone (Monte Towe... asst coach, was also a NAtional Champ from State), it just makes me sad : (

I hope that the Wolfpack Nation will not whine over the next coach, like the way they did Herb Sendeck (a fine man and a wonderful coach). Herb did so much as a coach with his teams. But that wasnt good enough. And Sidney, bless his Wolfpack red jacket, could never get the grasp of being a great coach, and getting the Wins or the big recruits he needed.

I wish the best for Coach Lowe and staff! We will miss you Sidney and Monte! You are 2 of my favorite basketball players! And National Champs also! Miss you!

lotusland
03-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I think it's two "g"'s Gregg ... and that's exactly who I was thinking of. He seems to have the chip on his shoulder to welcome mixing it up with the legends in the area.

Yep double "g" - my bad. He put Winthrop basketball on the map. Known around Rock Hill as a bit of a hyper-competitive egomaniac but his players respected him and played really hard and really tough defense. He gets guys to buy in to what it takes to play as a team and to win.

Channing
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I went over to PackPride to see who they were discussing as possible replacement:

Jay Wright
Rick Barnes
Jamie Dixon
Brad Stevens
Billy Donovan

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I went over to PackPride to see who they were discussing as possible replacement:

Jay Wright
Rick Barnes
Jamie Dixon
Brad Stevens
Billy Donovan

Surprised Roy Will, Bill Self, Calipari, Howland, Jim C., Jim B., and Coach K aren't on that list.

kong123
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
this just in, John Wooden to come back to coach NC State.

muzikfrk75
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Jay Wright
Rick Barnes
Jamie Dixon
Brad Stevens
Billy Donovan

They might as well use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/gift-central/ref=cm_gift_button_gc_lp

Wheat/"/"/"
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM
FWIW....I have heard from people I respect in the sports biz world that Tubby is interested and in the mix.

He has NC connections and a home outside Charlotte, I'm told.

Just some talk, but I think it makes sense. Tubby has earned his respect and could handle the position's heat better than a young coach trying to build a career against two annual top ten teams in the neighborhood. He would immediately have Coach K's and Roy's respect, and the rest of the ACC, then he could build the program up and hand it off to one of the hot young coaches in a few years when he's ready to retire.

I think he'd be a perfect fit.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
FWIW....I have heard from people I respect in the sports biz world that Tubby is interested and in the mix.

Just some talk, but I think it makes sense. Tubby has earned his respect and could handle the position's heat better than a young coach trying to build a career against two annual top ten teams in the neighborhood. He would immediately have Coach K's and Roy's respect, and the rest of the ACC, then he could build the program up and hand it off to one of the hot young coaches in a few years when he's ready to retire.

I have no sources (and would not mind if Tubby took the job -- actually would like it) but (1) I understand that Donna (IIRC) likes where she is; and (2) I'm not sure a 60-year old coach is the foundation of building a new program.

But again, I have no sources and would love to see it happen. State should have someone that will make the triangle three-sided again.

Newton_14
03-17-2011, 10:05 PM

I think they can do better. Tubby's better days are behind him. He does not have the fire that is needed. The whole argument that State cannot get a good coach because of Duke and NC is lame an idiotic. It is nothing more than hype really. There were great coaches before K and Roy came on the scene and there will be great coaches when those two hang it up. The Big East has more than 2 really good coaches and there is no reason why the ACC cannot have multiple coaches that know how to get it done.

That is what it is going to take to get the ACC back to the top. Expansion did not cause this downturn, hiring bad coaches did. It is going to take good/great coaches to bring it back.

I would not sleep on Sean Miller. His wife hates Arizona supposedly, and he does have ties to NC State. But, if they miss on Miller, there are still others that State will have a shot at. It is going to be interesting to watch this play out. I have far more confidence in Yow than I did in the hapless Lee Fowler who totally made a mess with the last coaching search.

AlaskanAssassin
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
If Bruce Pearl gets let go, what do you guys think of him replacing Lowe? I think he would be a good choice as he has done well at TN, he just screwed up by lying and BBQ parties.

WiJoe
03-18-2011, 11:34 PM
If Bruce Pearl gets let go, what do you guys think of him replacing Lowe? I think he would be a good choice as he has done well at TN, he just screwed up by lying and BBQ parties.

"... just screwed up by lying ..."

Are you serious? I think perhaps the Alaska cold has clouded your judgment. Pearl is a cheating, lying scumbag. How, exactly does that fit anywhere but the Situational Ethics Conference

diveonthefloor
03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
"... just screwed up by lying ..."

Are you serious? I think perhaps the Alaska cold has clouded your judgment. Pearl is a cheating, lying scumbag. How, exactly does that fit anywhere but the Situational Ethics Conference

Pearl screwed up, but he is no scumbag. You must be confusing him with Cali-slimy.

brevity
03-18-2011, 11:49 PM

They have BBQ parties in Raleigh too. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. A vinegar-based recipe for disaster.

Life is difficult for the Baltimore Orioles of the ACC. I think the problem is that NC State, at this point, has no business trying to keep up with Duke and North Carolina, especially in recruiting wars. They need to go another way.

They need a system coach, someone who can put together a tournament-caliber team every year without much of an emphasis on stars. Mike Anderson of Missouri comes to mind.

Aditya
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Larry Brown is on the prowl.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AjGVa2LkU_qGteVv4SbkHu_evbYF?slug=dw-wetzel_brown_wants_to_go_back_to_school_032011

Any chance he comes to State?

77devil
03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Larry Brown is on the prowl.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AjGVa2LkU_qGteVv4SbkHu_evbYF?slug=dw-wetzel_brown_wants_to_go_back_to_school_032011

Any chance he comes to State?

I'll assume you are joking, but if not, the answer is zero, niente, nunca.

Cameron
03-20-2011, 01:49 AM
After all, people were calling for Coack K to be fired after a couple of losing seasons at the beginning.

There were Duke fans who wanted K gone after we lost to Villanova in 2009, approximately 350 days before K won his fourth national championship. Because of this, those people don't generally matter. To be fair to those critics, however, in 2009 Coach K didn't win a national championship as he did in all of the other 28 years. When you are a 28-time national champion coach, expectations are something with which you just have to deal.

As for Sid, he may have been a very warm and friendly man, but so is Mr. Peanut. That doesn't make him a competent coach -- especially in the Atlantic Coast Conference, where college basketball matters the most. The North Carolina State fan base, as delusional as it may be, deserves someone much better, which is why I am sure they will target Coach K or Red Auerbach.

"Red won a lot of championships, didn't he?"

"Yeah."

"Then let's get him."

"Well, he's dead."

"Oh."

This should be interesting:D All that said, I hope State gets a good guy who can develop a contender, a real year-in, year-out Final Four contender. We need to put the Atlantic Coast Conference back on top.

downtowndevil
03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
This guy is again coaching his way to a BCS job.

State fans may cringe at his Princeton background, but as was said previously, a "system" coach would make sense given the high profile of the neighbors.

Plus, Princeton or Little Sisters of the Poor, I gotta think Pack fans want back on the "big dance" floor anyway they can get it!

Orange&BlackSheep
03-20-2011, 09:44 AM

State fans may cringe at his Princeton background, but as was said previously, a "system" coach would make sense given the high profile of the neighbors.

Plus, Princeton or Little Sisters of the Poor, I gotta think Pack fans want back on the "big dance" floor anyway they can get it!

Chris Mooney is better than sliced bread. Just sayin'

davekay1971
03-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I know they certainly won't get him, but, watching Butler-Pitt last night, if Debbie Yow doesn't at least call Brad Stevens and tell him "name your price, name your list of demands, we'll make it happen" within 24 hours of Butler's last game in this tournament, she's not doing her job. Yes, I know, the chance of him going to State under any circumstance is probably under 1%, but at the price of a phone call, those are odds worth taking to land that guy. If she hit the lottery, she's got a coach to put State in the top 10 for the next 30 years.

Yes, I know, it won't happen.

pfrduke
03-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, to the extent he was ever an option, Billy Gillespie is now off the table, as he's officially the new Texas Tech coach.

I agree with Dave's point above - Brad Stevens should get a godfather offer from State.

throatybeard
03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, to the extent he was ever an option, Billy Gillespie is now off the table, as he's officially the new Texas Tech coach.

Ah, well, good thing OU fired Capel in order to hire Gillispie. :(

RoyalBlue08
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I know they certainly won't get him, but, watching Butler-Pitt last night, if Debbie Yow doesn't at least call Brad Stevens and tell him "name your price, name your list of demands, we'll make it happen" within 24 hours of Butler's last game in this tournament, she's not doing her job. Yes, I know, the chance of him going to State under any circumstance is probably under 1%, but at the price of a phone call, those are odds worth taking to land that guy. If she hit the lottery, she's got a coach to put State in the top 10 for the next 30 years.

Yes, I know, it won't happen.

I hope this happens, and I hope the conversation is recorded. I would like to hear what Stevens has to say once he stops laughing.

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Wasn't Herb Sendek a "system" coach? What makes you think NC State fans would be any more welcoming to Mooney?

wilson
03-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Wasn't Herb Sendek a "system" coach? What makes you think NC State fans would be any more welcoming to Mooney?A fair point, but I'm pretty sure that Herb looks a lot more palatable to State fans on the heels of the Lowe era.

Fletch
03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
A fair point, but I'm pretty sure that Herb looks a lot more palatable to State fans on the heels of the Lowe era.

NO, he does not.

dukelifer
03-20-2011, 11:33 PM
The VCU coach will be offered this job.

94duke
03-20-2011, 11:56 PM
The VCU coach will be offered this job.

Do you have a source for this?

Matches
03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
NO, he does not.

This. This a thousand times.

Even knowing what they know about how the Lowe Era turned out, 95% of NCSU fans would not take Herb back.

wilson
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
This. This a thousand times.

Even knowing what they know about how the Lowe Era turned out, 95% of NCSU fans would not take Herb back.Really? You don't think there's a certain chunk of State fans who realize in retrospect that Herb for Sidney was a bad trade?
I'm asking an honest question here, not trying to initiate an argument. I can't fathom how many of them wouldn't look back and realize that they downgraded significantly five years ago, and think that maybe it wasn't the best decision.

Matches
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Really? You don't think there's a certain chunk of State fans who realize in retrospect that Herb for Sidney was a bad trade?
I'm asking an honest question here, not trying to initiate an argument. I can't fathom how many of them wouldn't look back and realize that they downgraded significantly five years ago, and think that maybe it wasn't the best decision.

I think most would acknowledge that Herb -> Lowe was a downgrade. But at the same time they believe that they had maxed out under Herb and that a change was needed. The problem wasn't that they ran Herb off. The problem was the failure to replace him with someone better.

dukelifer
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Do you have a source for this?

No- just guessing given that he is among the "hottest" coaches right now- and even has a win against Duke in his career.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Really? You don't think there's a certain chunk of State fans who realize in retrospect that Herb for Sidney was a bad trade?

One would think this is true, but you are using rational logic. That has nothing to do with State and its basketball program. They think Brad Stevens will leave Butler to come.

The bridge to Herb has been burned. I wonder what Les Robinson is doing now . . . .

wilson
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
One would think this is true, but you are using rational logic. That has nothing to do with State and its basketball program. They think Brad Stevens will leave Butler to come.

The bridge to Herb has been burned. I wonder what Les Robinson is doing now . . . .I'm not suggesting that they would (or should) bring Herb back, just that they should eventually learn the lesson that one should be careful what one wishes for. I agree that the bridge to Herb went up in flames long ago.
Additional question: The few State alums I know are neither active nor particularly vocal. Do the folks in Raleigh honestly think they have a shot at Brad Stevens? Because they don't.

downtowndevil
03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Wasn't Herb Sendek a "system" coach? What makes you think NC State fans would be any more welcoming to Mooney?

yes, sendek would be a "system" coach in my mind. what makes me think that they would be more welcome to mooney are his success, and state's lack of. i guess what i'm saying is they would take it if meant being relevant again. some introspection definitely required by state fans to get there for sure, but i would think they'd be open to it.

will be very interesting to see what they do and what message, if any, they send to the rest of the league.

pfrduke
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
No- just guessing given that he is among the "hottest" coaches right now- and even has a win against Duke in his career.

No, he doesn't. The VCU coach who was there is 2007 is now the Alabama head coach. Shaka Smart has only been there since last season, during which time VCU has not beaten Duke.

loldevilz
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know if NC State has a shot at the BYU coach?

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Not to be flippant, but I doubt State has a chance with any coach who is still in the NCAA hunt. Perhaps someone in the NIT hunt, though.

Last time out, State wildly overestimated how desirable its opening was. I think the Pack fans will not be happy with whomever gets the job, because I doubt it will be a top-shelf name. (Note: that does not mean that the new hire may not be a top-shelf talent).

dukelifer
03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
No, he doesn't. The VCU coach who was there is 2007 is now the Alabama head coach. Shaka Smart has only been there since last season, during which time VCU has not beaten Duke.

My mistake- but clearly winning in the big dance leads to a new job for the VCU coach. Someone will pick him up.

Arrghbc1201
03-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I heard Rick Barnes is in town. Not confirmed, just heard. Would be interesting to see Barnes take the NCSU job and Myck Kabongo de-committ again.

davekay1971
03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Some of the names bandied about that I hope State doesn't pursue:
1) Rick Barnes - he's not leaving Texas for State any sooner than Bill Self is leaving Kansas for Georgia Tech.

2) Tubby Smith - like him, but he'd arrive with recruits wondering when he's going to retire.

3) Bruce Pearl - I want to meet the State fans that want this guy...because there are some out there!

4) Frank Martin - really admire the guy's attitude, kind of enjoy the fire, but something about him just makes me feel like his flame is going to burn bright for a very short time.

I posted earlier that they almost have to ask Brad Stevens. Then, if he says no, they need to quickly talk to Chris Mooney and Chris Mack. Shaka Smith is doing a great job in the tournament...but does he need a little more time to establish his pedigree?

loldevilz
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
The NC State jobs is one of the most uniquely difficult in the country. It is a program where there are really big expectations because the fans measure there success against UNC and Duke. To coach there you need to be an excellent coach, not just recruiter, and very mature to deal with the failure you will have against Duke and UNC.
The midmajor like Shaka Smart and Mooney seem to me too young and inexperienced to deal with going against Duke and Carolina every year. There is 0 chance Sean Miller leaves Arizona to rebuild NC State. Rick Barnes is a trash coach and a good recruiter which is basically what they just fired. I think Bruce Pearl is the guy. Pearl is a lot like Gary Williams in that his teams constantly have a knack for knocking off the big guys. For example he beat Pitt this year and Kansas and Kentucky last year. Thats exactly what you need: a guy who can compete with the big guys. I think he could restore the glory that is NC State basketball.

wilson
03-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I think Bruce Pearl is the guy. Pearl is a lot like Gary Williams in that his teams constantly have a knack for knocking off the big guys. For example he beat Pitt this year and Kansas and Kentucky last year. Thats exactly what you need: a guy who can compete with the big guys. I think he could restore the glory that is NC State basketball.I think there is less than zero chance that Pearl ends up in Raleigh. I don't think for a second that Debbie Yow would countenance his smarminess and ethically-challenged tactics as a face of NC State, nor do I think influential alums would stand for it. Furthermore, I believe the NCAA might well slap a show-cause penalty on him for a couple of years.
Bruce Pearl's next job will be on television, and his next job after that will be in someplace like Conference USA. He will be lucky, and it will be a ways down the road, if he ever finds his way back into a BCS-conference job.

JasonEvans
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
The midmajor like Shaka Smart and Mooney seem to me too young and inexperienced to deal with going against Duke and Carolina every year. Whoever State hires is going to have to learn to deal with this issue "on the job." It is not like State could hire someone who would have them comfortably competing with Duke and UNC in a year or two. It will take time. I think a smart, hungry, up-and-comer is a good way to go in this regard. A guy like that may be more willing to learn how to deal with this as opposed to a big name who simply bolts because he cannot handle it (I'm looking at you, former Clemson coach Rick Barnes).

There is 0 chance Sean Miller leaves Arizona to rebuild NC State. Money talks. According to this article, Miller makes $1.6 million per year at Arizona plus a lot of other perks that take the deal to around $2mil a season. It is a very nice deal, no question about it. But, I suspect State will come at him with something north of $3 million dollars. That's a pretty big pay raise and this is a guy who spent his whole life/career in the Eastern Time Zone before he left for Tuscon (grew up in Pennsylvania, played ball at Pitt, assistant coach at Miami OH, Pitt, NCSt, and Xavier before taking the head job at Xavier). I am not saying Miller will take the job, but he will have $ome rea$on$ to con$ider it.

Rick Barnes is a trash coach and a good recruiter which is basically what they just fired.

Dissent -- Barnes is a far better recruiter than El Sid was. Sid was very good, but Barnes is one of the 5 or 10 best recruiters in the country. I also think Barnes is a better game coach than Sid was. That is not saying very much, but it is worth noting that Barnes has had Texas playing among the elite (at least during the regular season) pretty consistently over the years. This is Barnes' 16th consecutive trip to the NCAA tourney as a head coach. That's darn impressive. Much of it may be his recruiting prowess, but it is not like the guy is a total dolt of a strategic coach.

Now, his in-game adjustments are pathetic, but I think he does a decent job of developing schemes that will work for his teams and he generally gets them to play fairly hard.

http://houston.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2011-03-13/rick_barnes.800w_600h.jpg
--Jason "uuugh, did I just defend Rick Barnes' coaching ability... I need to go scrub off with a Brillo pad" Evans

rogermortimer
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
The NC State jobs is one of the most uniquely difficult in the country. It is a program where there are really big expectations because the fans measure there success against UNC and Duke. To coach there you need to be an excellent coach, not just recruiter, and very mature to deal with the failure you will have against Duke and UNC.
The midmajor like Shaka Smart and Mooney seem to me too young and inexperienced to deal with going against Duke and Carolina every year. There is 0 chance Sean Miller leaves Arizona to rebuild NC State. Rick Barnes is a trash coach and a good recruiter which is basically what they just fired. I think Bruce Pearl is the guy. Pearl is a lot like Gary Williams in that his teams constantly have a knack for knocking off the big guys. For example he beat Pitt this year and Kansas and Kentucky last year. Thats exactly what you need: a guy who can compete with the big guys. I think he could restore the glory that is NC State basketball.

State is one of the most difficult jobs in the country. It is so difficult to compete in the shadow of Duke and UNC, and State has to compete for players with schools in close proximity to it, among them Wake, UVa, Clemson, and so on. It is not an easy job, and the State campus (while nice enough in my view), is not a recruiting draw. I don't ever see Barnes coming back to the ACC - he is in a much better place in Texas (let's face it, basketball always flies under the radar in Austin) - and Pearl is way too toxic to hire - no matter well he can coach - he invites a load of scrutiny from the NCAA - the last thing State needs. State needs to find a good young coach with solid recruiting, people management and public relations skills. This is much easier said than done. And the task is even harder because State has expectations from the 70's and 80's - I am not sure that they can ever get back there.

superdave
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I think it would be easy to sell University of Tejas to 17 and 18 year olds! Austin is THE college town and people worship UT athletes, plus Kevin Durant is fresh in people's minds.

NCSU is a harder sell though for young guys. It's an ACC school with two titles. But I'm not sure it's been relevant enough lately to be a destination school like Tejas or Kentucky or Florida.

Sid snagged Hickson and Leslie which is pretty good. But I would imagine the next NCSU coach would need to make a few of his own breaks - land a big fish recruit (State was in contention for Wall) or make a Sweet 16 - to earn some buzz that will last a few years on the recruiting trail. Tough road back to the top there. But it can be done.

kong123
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
he better get it while he can......

wilson
03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
he better get it while he can......Let's see...5 years, short leash, uphill battle, big-time microscope, vs. 10 to 12 years, looooong leash, key to the frickin' city, legendary status at one's university.
VCU to NCSU is a job upgrade, but I don't think it's nearly as much of one as it might appear at first blush. Mostly depends, I suppose, on how much cash VCU and their alums can scrape up.

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
How about the loser between Smart and Stevens has to take the State job? Now there is pressure!

loran16
03-27-2011, 05:04 PM
he better get it while he can......

I think Shaka would be better off with GT or Missouri honestly.

Bluedevil114
03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
How about the loser between Smart and Stevens has to take the State job? Now there is pressure!

They may both try to lose.

tommy
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Maybe so. At least he wouldn't have to worry about whether his power forward is living a "chaste and virtuous life."

loran16
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Well Cuonzo Martin (Missouri State) just signed with Tennessee, so he's off the table.

sandinmyshoes
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
They may both try to lose.

It would look like one of those 1930s scores.

Native
03-27-2011, 08:29 PM
http://tonysports.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/billy-donovan.jpg

OldPhiKap
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
http://tonysports.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/billy-donovan.jpg

Eddie Munster coaches ?!?

pbc2
03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
On the frontpage, it's Chris MOONEY at Richmond, not Moody.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
On the frontpage, it's Chris MOONEY at Richmond, not Moody.

Is THAT where he ended up after The Chappelle Show folded ?!?

jimrowe0
03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Heard from several State fans that claimed some reliable source has Billy Donovan being hired this week. I certainly have my doubts.

Newton_14
03-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with Jason that State has a better chance of getting Sean Miller than most believe. Miller wanted the job when State hired Lowe. His agent stated that Miller "would have crawled to Raleigh and was disappointed State did not offer".

I believe Miller is going to give serious consideration to State's offer.

jipops
03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
"Coach Smart, there is a Debbie Yow on line 1".

Jderf
03-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Heard from several State fans that claimed some reliable source has Billy Donovan being hired this week. I certainly have my doubts.

I'm skeptical as well. But if it were true, it would be harsh for Florida basketball fans (if there are any). In a single year, they would lose their #1 recruit and their coach to the ACC.

hurleyfor3
03-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Especially considering he turned down Kentucky. Didn't he turn down an nba job too?

loran16
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree with Jason that State has a better chance of getting Sean Miller than most believe. Miller wanted the job when State hired Lowe. His agent stated that Miller "would have crawled to Raleigh and was disappointed State did not offer".

I believe Miller is going to give serious consideration to State's offer.

Miller has declined to interview at NC State.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/miller-out-of-the-mix-at-nc-state

He wanted the job years ago. He didn't want it now, especially with the program he has.

Jholt915
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Miller has declined to interview at NC State.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/miller-out-of-the-mix-at-nc-state

He wanted the job years ago. He didn't want it now, especially with the program he has.

The article says his father says he's out of the running. I need to hear Sean Miller say he's out of it.

tommy
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Especially considering he turned down Kentucky. Didn't he turn down an nba job too?

Actually, he accepted one.

Slackerb
03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
No one knows anything....this is how you handle a coaching search.

NSDukeFan
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
No one knows anything....this is how you handle a coaching search.

Or a toe rehab?

Slackerb
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Hearing that Shaka Smart is going to stay at VCU, 2 other candidates have conditionally accepted...probably Gregg Marshall and/or Mike Lonergan are possible backups.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
there was an interesting article on the search on ESPN the other day.

Debbie yow said her criteria were something like a coach with proven history and multiple tournamnet trips, who has built a program before. (there were a couple other criteria)

The author then went on to point out none of bill self, john wooden, mike krzyzewski, roy willams (at kansas), dean smith, or pretty much any of the top coaches would have met these requirements at the time of their hire

just interesting that what fans value in a hire is not usually what makes a successful hire

tommy
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Hearing that Shaka Smart is going to stay at VCU, 2 other candidates have conditionally accepted...probably Gregg Marshall and/or Mike Lonergan are possible backups.

I doubt it, but maybe Smart's turning the job down will serve as a wake-up call to the Pack faithful that the job is not nearly as desirable as they think, and they will lower their expectations accordingly. I mean, the coach of Virginia Commonwealth is turning them down? Yikes.

loran16
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I doubt it, but maybe Smart's turning the job down will serve as a wake-up call to the Pack faithful that the job is not nearly as desirable as they think, and they will lower their expectations accordingly. I mean, the coach of Virginia Commonwealth is turning them down? Yikes.

Lets be fair: It's the hottest coach on the market turning them down. Big difference.

That said, Smart's decision is interesting: unlike Brad Stevens this year or last year, Smart is losing a significant part of his team to graduation, including Rodriguez and Skeen. I don't know who they have coming in, but that's a bigger loss than Hayward alone.

Moreover, Stevens had been at Butler for an extra year, and several of his team last year (and this year) were his own recruits (Mack, Hayward, Nored, anyone who isn't a senior). He knew he could recruit. Shaka's still unknown in this area.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
maybe NCST needs to pull a wake forest and move away from the triangle and across the state to get away from duke and UNC :P

tommy
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Lets be fair: It's the hottest coach on the market turning them down. Big difference.

Yeah, but what jobs would the hottest coach on the market be holding out for at this point? Miami? UNLV? He'd prefer one of those to NC State? I guess I could see preferring Miami, but I doubt many NCSU fans or alumni could.

lotusland
04-04-2011, 03:18 PM
there was an interesting article on the search on ESPN the other day.

Debbie yow said her criteria were something like a coach with proven history and multiple tournamnet trips, who has built a program before. (there were a couple other criteria)

The author then went on to point out none of bill self, john wooden, mike krzyzewski, roy willams (at kansas), dean smith, or pretty much any of the top coaches would have met these requirements at the time of their hire

just interesting that what fans value in a hire is not usually what makes a successful
hire

Gregg Marshall meets the multiple trips to NCAA and experience building program criteria. The guy can coach. Furthermore he's got that "won't back down or pay homage" attitude that Heels fans and Dean hated in Rick Barnes' Clemson teams. If I were Debbie Yow he'd be my guy to make NCSU relevant again.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Gregg Marshall meets the multiple trips to NCAA and experience building program criteria. The guy can coach. Furthermore he's got that "won't back down or pay homage" attitude that Heels fans and Dean hated in Rick Barnes' Clemson teams. If I were Debbie Yow he'd be my guy to make NCSU relevant again.

I agree. I just wanted to clarify that the point isn't that there aren't guys who meet that criteria who will be successful, just that its kinda silly to limit yourself in your search when so many of the greatest coaches in the game didn't meet those criteria when they were hired into the jobs that made them great.

lotusland
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree. I just wanted to clarify that the point isn't that there aren't guys who meet that criteria who will be successful, just that its kinda silly to limit yourself in your search when so many of the greatest coaches in the game didn't meet those criteria when they were hired into the jobs that made them great.

I read the article agree for the most part. Why get a mercenary coach who's already permanently identified with another school to create a legacy. Bob Knight? Really? If they somehow manage to lure Pitino or Donovan won't they be just as likely to lose them after a few years if they are successful there? If they are going for big name coach I'd go after Bruce Pearl. His NCAA violation itself wasn't egregious but the lying was just stupid. He may come at discount as a result and he's still hungry to make a name for himself. It's not like Valvano was an angel.

I'd still take Marshall over any of them though...

Olympic Fan
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Interesting ... very interesting stuff going on regarding the State search. Within the last couple of hours, we've learned that Shaka Smart is staying at VCU, while there are reports in Cincinnati that Cronin is staying at UC and there's been a recent posting that Gregg Marshall will have a major announcement on his coaching show tonight at 6 p.m. (pretty sure he doesn't announce his departure on his Wichita State coaching show ... it can only be that he's staying).

Now, I have no inside knowledge of what's going on. But after years of watching coaching searches, let me suggest two possibilities:

-- One, Yow's search is blowing up like Lee Fowler's did in 2006. If this is the case, it's pretty good evidence that the job is as bad as many media detractors have claimed. The national guys -- including Bilas -- suggested that Smart, Marshall and Cronin were Yow's three real candidates.

Or,

-- Two, Yow has found the person that she really wants and that all the other candidates are bailing before it looks like they were passed over. This happens all the time in coaching searches. The fact that three viable candidates would bail within hours looks very much like they are saving face.

Which is the right answer?

Well, we should know in the next 24 hours. If Yow has her man -- somebody better (or at least arguably as good) than Smart, Marshall or Cronin -- then a lot of national media types will be eating crow. If nothing happens in the next day or so -- or State ends up with somebody like Vinny Del Negro -- then it's the State defenders (and fans) who will be consuming the black bird.

RoyalBlue08
04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Interesting that Smart would stay at VCU. He is losing quite a bit from his team, and it doesn't take much to go from one of the hottest coaches to one that can't find a major job. I have often said on this board that the NC State job doesn't look very attractive to me; and I would continue to be shocked if they were ever able to make some big hire, like Brad Stevens or Donovan, but I'm not sure Smart will ever be more in demand than he is this month. Still he chose not to make a career move. At the very least it is a roll of the dice. It will be interesting to see how it works out for him (and how it works out for State).

Oh, and you can say what you want about the State job, but it is certainly a much better job than Miami unless you have some personal reasons for wanting to live in Miami.

sagegrouse
04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Interesting that Smart would stay at VCU. He is losing quite a bit from his team, and it doesn't take much to go from one of the hottest coaches to one that can't find a major job. I have often said on this board that the NC State job doesn't look very attractive to me; and I would continue to be shocked if they were ever able to make some big hire, like Brad Stevens or Donovan, but I'm not sure Smart will ever be more in demand than he is this month. Still he chose not to make a career move. At the very least it is a roll of the dice. It will be interesting to see how it works out for him (and how it works out for State).

Oh, and you can say what you want about the State job, but it is certainly a much better job than Miami unless you have some personal reasons for wanting to live in Miami.

Two factors:

a. He and his wife are having their first child this year. Funny how family can intrude on the most rational decision process.

b. VCU will, at a minimum, triple his salary from a 360 base to over a million. Today, that's all the money in the world. In five years he will see it differently.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
04-04-2011, 04:52 PM

I would like to see State return to the prominence it had in the first thirty years of the ACC. In my era (way back then) Carolina and State were 1 and 1A in terms of rivalries. There wasn't the passion of the UNC rivalry, but it was real just the same. Wake? Not so much.

But I can come up with a bunch of reasons why the Miami job is better than the State job.

1. State is a full-fledged member of the North Carolina Big Four, but is the weakest of the four over the past 20 years.

2. The State fan base expectations are of a return to glory, when that may be almost impossible.

3. There are only two positive intangibles I can think of at State: the tradition, although a bit time-worn, and the fact that State is deep down at heart a basketball school, so the support and resources are potentially huge.

4. The tangible advantage is that State generates a lot of revenue and is willing to spend to recruit and retain an excellent coaching. Money may buy a great coach, but I dunno.

WRT Miami:

1. It's in the ACC -- a power conference where basketball is king (no advantage over State to be sure, but an advantage over many other schools).

2. You have a unique product to sell in the recruiting market: it's Miami and the Beach. No one else has that, except UCLA and USC, in part. Plus the fact that Florida is a hotbed of basketball talent these days.

3. Expectations are low: Reasonable success equals lifetime employment; huge success means canonization.

4. Who wouldn't want to live in Miami or Coral Gables? (I wouldn't, but there are many strong candidates who would say yes.)

sagegrouse

camion
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Two factors:

a. He and his wife are having their first child this year. Funny how family can intrude on the most rational decision process.

b. VCU will, at a minimum, triple his salary from a 360 base to over a million. Today, that's all the money in the world. In five years he will see it differently.

sagegrouse

c. He may be pursued by chools even more attractive (hard to believe) than NCSU.

Slackerb
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm hearing that Gregg Marshall is announcing on his radio show tonight that he is staying at Witchita State. He was believed to be in consideration for the job.

I assume that means that they have informed Marshall that his services will not be needed, the search is over, and State is finalizing details, etc.

Duvall
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
c. He may be pursued by chools even more attractive (hard to believe) than NCSU.

This seems unlikely. There aren't many openings left at this point.

Duvall
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I would like to see State return to the prominence it had in the first thirty years of the ACC. In my era (way back then) Carolina and State were 1 and 1A in terms of rivalries. There wasn't the passion of the UNC rivalry, but it was real just the same. Wake? Not so much.

But I can come up with a bunch of reasons why the Miami job is better than the State job.

1. State is a full-fledged member of the North Carolina Big Four, but is the weakest of the four over the past 20 years.

2. The State fan base expectations are of a return to glory, when that may be almost impossible.

3. There are only two positive intangibles I can think of at State: the tradition, although a bit time-worn, and the fact that State is deep down at heart a basketball school, so the support and resources are potentially huge.

4. The tangible advantage is that State generates a lot of revenue and is willing to spend to recruit and retain an excellent coaching. Money may buy a great coach, but I dunno.

WRT Miami:

1. It's in the ACC -- a power conference where basketball is king (no advantage over State to be sure, but an advantage over many other schools).

2. You have a unique product to sell in the recruiting market: it's Miami and the Beach. No one else has that, except UCLA and USC, in part. Plus the fact that Florida is a hotbed of basketball talent these days.

3. Expectations are low: Reasonable success equals lifetime employment; huge success means canonization.

4. Who wouldn't want to live in Miami or Coral Gables? (I wouldn't, but there are many strong candidates who would say yes.)

sagegrouse

I don't see any of those reasons offsetting the fact that Miami's athletic department is broke while N.C. State is flush with porkodollars.

throatybeard
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Poor State. They're becoming like Jacksonville in the 1980s. The running joke was you get a new stadium by threatening to move your team to Jacksonville.

Want a big raise? Flirt with the NC State job. Then stay put.

Jacksonville did eventually get them a football club. I'd really like to see State kick the football.

arnie
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm hearing that Gregg Marshall is announcing on his radio show tonight that he is staying at Witchita State. He was believed to be in consideration for the job.

I assume that means that they have informed Marshall that his services will not be needed, the search is over, and State is finalizing details, etc.

Yea, I'm convinced Yow has talked to K and he's offered to let Wojo coach the Pack on nights Duke's not playing. Maybe Roy will also pitch in if Duke and State playing at the same time. Seen this sort of thing in girl's softball.

loran16
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Marshall is out. Cronin (Cinci) is out. Smart is out. Who next?

At this point, If I'm state, I take a gamble and hire an assistant from a major program, even without any major conference experience. Wojo would work if he wanted the position (doubt it).

superdave
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM

At this point, If I'm state, I take a gamble and hire an assistant from a major program, even without any major conference experience. Wojo would work if he wanted the position (doubt it).

Somone will jump at this job. Who are the big non-ACC assistants? I'd look to assistants at Florida, Kansas, UCLA etc.

When was the last time an assistant with no head coaching experience took over an ACC team? It's a tall order, but the right guy does exist.

dukelifer
04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Somone will jump at this job. Who are the big non-ACC assistants? I'd look to assistants at Florida, Kansas, UCLA etc.

When was the last time an assistant with no head coaching experience took over an ACC team? It's a tall order, but the right guy does exist.

I would look at Geno A from UConn. The guy has done it all at UConn and the women's game and has the personality to go against K and Roy. I think that would be a great hire.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I would look at Geno A from UConn. The guy has done it all at UConn and the women's game and has the personality to go against K and Roy. I think that would be a great hire.

That's actually very very interesting. He's on record as saying the only mens jobs he'd take would be Duke or UNC. He could certainly take an NCST to those levels....if he were able to compete with roy or K, he would be loved in raleigh, and certainly would add to his legacy.

I don't think he's going anywhere, though.

dukelifer
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
That's actually very very interesting. He's on record as saying the only mens jobs he'd take would be Duke or UNC. He could certainly take an NCST to those levels....if he were able to compete with roy or K, he would be loved in raleigh, and certainly would add to his legacy.

I don't think he's going anywhere, though.

Worth a phone call for sure. Not sure he has much more to do in the women's game. It would be a bit like bring Valvano into the mix. He has more personality than all the new coaches in the ACC combined.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Worth a phone call for sure. Not sure he has much more to do in the women's game. It would be a bit like bring Valvano into the mix. He has more personality than all the new coaches in the ACC combined.

For sure I'd give him a call. As far as I know, Geno and Kay Yow had a fine relationship, so that would be a factor. I think that Geno would definitely strike a good chord with the state fans...and I think the state fans would support him. The question is whether some of his coaching styles would work with guys, and here I'm a little leery. No doubt he has the knowledge of X's and O's to be successful, but I don't think you find as many recruits willing to fully commit to a system like you do for the uconn women (so much so that it has spit out 2 touted recruits in the past 4 years). He has his 'rules,' which I'm not sure would mesh with the guys as much. For one, you couldn't ask guys do jump and down high fiving everyone on the bench after a made 3. Geno probably realizes that though. The key for him would be to find the right type of recruits early on, because unlike anyone else, he would have phenomenl expectations on him....one bad year and 'geno can't coach men.' I think he's a great recruiter, and he could do it, but don't think he ever will.

NSDukeFan
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
For sure I'd give him a call. As far as I know, Geno and Kay Yow had a fine relationship, so that would be a factor. I think that Geno would definitely strike a good chord with the state fans...and I think the state fans would support him. The question is whether some of his coaching styles would work with guys, and here I'm a little leery. No doubt he has the knowledge of X's and O's to be successful, but I don't think you find as many recruits willing to fully commit to a system like you do for the uconn women (so much so that it has spit out 2 touted recruits in the past 4 years). He has his 'rules,' which I'm not sure would mesh with the guys as much. For one, you couldn't ask guys do jump and down high fiving everyone on the bench after a made 3. Geno probably realizes that though. The key for him would be to find the right type of recruits early on, because unlike anyone else, he would have phenomenl expectations on him....one bad year and 'geno can't coach men.' I think he's a great recruiter, and he could do it, but don't think he ever will.

I also think it would be worth a call. I would assume that Geno is smart enough that he would adapt his "rules" to fit the men he is recruiting and coaching. I expect he could be successful, but would he want to take the risk to find out when he has built something very impressive at UCONN?

DevilWearsPrada
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I would assume Ms Yow has been in Houston scouting out prospective coaches for State. I would like to see some respect brought back to the State mens basketball program. Be great to have the Big Four back to top of the food chain in the ACC league.

Geno..... thats a great thought! He would spice up the Triangle, and in a good way.

lotusland
04-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Pearl?

loldevilz
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Pearl?

yes please

jdj4duke
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM

Geno at NCSU? Great coach, no recruiting inroads at all, and while I like Geno, I think too many State fans would find him as appealing as chewing aluminum foil. I think the fan reaction, inside and outside Raleigh, would be deafening.

I don't see that fit at all, but it would be fun to watch the reaction in the Hill were Geno to get all up in Roy's face. They might even forget Rick Barnes.

uh_no
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't see that fit at all, but it would be fun to watch the reaction in the Hill were Geno to get all up in Roy's face. They might even forget Rick Barnes.

Geno and Roy are friends....Geno helped roy out with his offensive sets about 2 years back

ThePublisher
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a lot of friends who went to state. It's a shame that they are going to end up with another second rate coach. I feel for state since they would probably be right there with duke and unc if Jimmy V was still around. I hope they get someone decent, the ACC needs them to get it together.

WakeDevil
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Pearl?

She's dead. But I did like her hat.

Maybe you were talking about Jethro's mother.

wilko
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
She's dead. But I did like her hat.

Maybe you were talking about Jethro's mother.

I don't know whats worse.... knowing what you are talking about with Pearl, seeing Jethro in drag as Jethrene, or this title game...

dukelilsis
04-04-2011, 11:57 PM
We were discussing this at work last week and two of my coworkers were saying that they'd love to see State hire Dino Gaudio. I don't think it would be the best choice but if the hiring pool is getting low it could be worth a thought. It would be entertaining to watch him give Wake a few more losses.

I am of the school of thought that Debbie Yow has made her decision and these guys are announcing that they aren't leaving because they haven't been offered the job. Mayber I'm being a little "glass half full" but here's hoping for the sake of the ACC.

wilko
04-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I think State would rather have an "Entertaining Coach" rather than a good coach. Wonder if Carrot Top has spoken with Yow..

lotusland
04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
We were discussing this at work last week and two of my coworkers were saying that they'd love to see State hire Dino Gaudio. I don't think it would be the best choice but if the hiring pool is getting low it could be worth a thought. It would be entertaining to watch him give Wake a few more losses.

I am of the school of thought that Debbie Yow has made her decision and these guys are announcing that they aren't leaving because they haven't been offered the job. Mayber I'm being a little "glass half full" but here's hoping for the sake of the ACC.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=7396922&p=1

No she doesn't have a coach lined up. Debbie Yow sent out the following e-mail tonight:

Letter from Debbie Yow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just received via Wolfpack Club email:

Dear Wolfpack Family,

I am writing to share with you the status of the search for our new head coach for men's basketball. There have been telephone conversations with successful coaches that did not develop into meetings -- sometimes because we did not wish to pursue those coaches further and sometimes because the coach involved is happy where he is.

The conversations have been candid. We have not tried to sugarcoat the challenge of rebuilding our basketball program. Our absence for 5 consecutive years from the NCAA Tournament was noted by each coach as evidence that the program is in poor shape and will require a special effort to rebuild.

Finding a coach with the fight and fire to do this job has been a challenge. That said, we will find an excellent college coach who shares the vision of what State Basketball can become and is up for the challenge.

I realize there are multiple rumors surfacing about the nature of the search on websites and in newspapers. Once our new coach is hired, I will be in a position to bring perspective to a number of those rumors. But, right now, we need to remain focused on finding a talented collegiate coach who is a fighter, full of confidence and appreciation for the opportunity to lead our basketball program back to national prominence.

That will happen in spite of those who believe this cannot occur.

Wolfpack Basketball is destined for a revival. We will accept no less. Please keep the faith while we continue the search. Your emails and text messages of support have meant everything to me. I am blessed to be your AD.

In the Spirit of the Pack,

Debbie

LSanders
04-05-2011, 12:05 AM
I think State would rather have an "Entertaining Coach" rather than a good coach. Wonder if Carrot Top has spoken with Yow..

I'm confused. I thought you said entertaining.

wilko
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm confused. I thought you said entertaining.

I should have said "Entertaining for State Fans..." to be more clear..

LSanders
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
NOW I understand! :cool:

langdonfan
04-05-2011, 12:43 AM

As I noted in a different thread, this has happens a lot more often than most people realize...even at major programs. Gutheridge had no head coaching experience when he took over at UNC. Neither did Frank Haith before taking over at Miami. Outside of the ACC, think Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh or Steve Lavin at UCLA. While each of those four coaches had varying levels of success...none were really failures. Most of the time they are assistants from within the program, but I think Haith came straight from Texas.

Matches
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Yow can't do that because she staked herself out previously. She made clear that her search was limited to guys who have taken a team to the NCAAT as a head coach.

... which leaves her in an awful position....

kong123
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
After a touch of consideration, my wife and I have decided that it is in my best interest to not take the NCSU mens basketball head coaching position.

Mrs. Yow contacted me over the weekend after seeing my body of work here on the DBR. She says that she admires the fight in me. She mentioned that my experience dealing with the members of this forum, through good times and bad, will prepare me to deal with the State fan base. My "lone wolf" attitude and my unwavering ability to take abuse in mass quantities means that I could probably last a decade.

However, as much as I enjoy a good challenge, I will not put myself in such a position. Coaching the Wolfpack would take my focus away from the DBR, and other than the occasional 1 week ban- I will not allow that to happen. I believe I have a better chance of turning you guys to the light blue side than I do returning NCSU to relevance.

Thanks

Kong123

MB in MD
04-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Here's a thought:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/4/1/2085217/report-debbie-yow-looking-into-hiring-brenda-frese-to-coach-nc-state

Normally I don't troll the testudo times but a MD friend pointed this out to me and thought I'd share.

Bluedevil114
04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Here's a thought:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/4/1/2085217/report-debbie-yow-looking-into-hiring-brenda-frese-to-coach-nc-state

Normally I don't troll the testudo times but a MD friend pointed this out to me and thought I'd share.

No way that happens!! Yow would be fired on the spot. These kids have never been coached by a female in highschool and will not in the NBA. There is no top recruit going to play for a female Head Coach. Not going to happen. Now if you are going to go after a Women Head Coach go for Geno. That is the best of the rest in the Womens game.

nocilla
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
No way that happens!! Yow would be fired on the spot. These kids have never been coached by a female in highschool and will not in the NBA. There is no top recruit going to play for a female Head Coach. Not going to happen. Now if you are going to go after a Women Head Coach go for Geno. That is the best of the rest in the Womens game.

You did read all the way to the bottom of the article right?

UrinalCake
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
So a Maryland buddy of mine claims that people are accusing Gary Williams of somehow masterminding a plan to keep coaches away from NC State. Apparently when guys like Stevens, Smart, etc. ask him about working with Debbie Yow he gives a highly unfavorable opinion, as a way of getting back at her. Sounds like Maryland fans are still a little full of themselves to me.

pfrduke
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
So a Maryland buddy of mine claims that people are accusing Gary Williams of somehow masterminding a plan to keep coaches away from NC State. Apparently when guys like Stevens, Smart, etc. ask him about working with Debbie Yow he gives a highly unfavorable opinion, as a way of getting back at her. Sounds like Maryland fans are still a little full of themselves to me.

To be fair, this sounds exactly like something Gary Williams would do. His relationship with Yow was notoriously prickly, and I can't really see him sugar coating it to other coaches if he's asked. I wouldn't assume he's doing it intentionally to hurt State or get back at Debbie Yow, but it doesn't surprise me that his opinion of working with her is highly unfavorable and that he offers that opinion when asked.

mkline09
04-05-2011, 12:32 PM

I heard our buddy Gregg Doyle talking about this on Adam Gold's show yesterday. He was very critical of Gary and by the sound of it (though I'm sure, I hope, some of it was in jest) it sounded like he has a vendetta against Gary Williams. At one point he called him a "bad guy" and that he was insane. He also said he wanted to throw his laptop at him. I thought Adam Gold was trying his best to temper Doyle's tone, but to no avail. It was a weird segment and made Doyle sound almost as crazy as he was making out Williams to be.

94duke
04-05-2011, 12:33 PM

I think coaches are certainly talking to Gary Williams, and he his telling them what he thinks about working for Debbie Yow. I doubt he's doing it to get back at her, though.

If I'm looking at a job, and I have a friend who used to work for that employer, I would certainly call up my friend and ask what it was like working for that employer. If my friend told me that he didn't like working for that employer, I would certainly listen to that friend.

I heard similar comments on 620 the buzz this morning while driving to work (here, in the triangle). This sounds not only plausible but highly probable, to me.

SupaDave
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
AND it's Mark Gottfried!!!!!