PDA

View Full Version : Kansas fans FAIL

dchen09
03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/d9af14af-b5e2-4e2d-88b1-bf96ceda8c23.jpg
:D

throatybeard
03-14-2011, 04:28 PM
ENSP, isn't that one of the Briggs-Meyers personality types?

DukeWarhead
03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Being a Duke fan in Kansas is interesting. There is a great amount of overt frustration within the Jayhawk fanbase, and the constant need to say "Hey! Our program is just as good as Duke, or UNC, or Kentucky!!!" It's not the normal Duke hate spewed by Carolina fans - but kind of a whining, plaintiff cry you might hear from a little brother that wants to be accepted by the big kids. Not sure where it comes from, since I don't see Duke or Carolina fans bashing Kansas (unless Carolina fans want to take a shot at Roy's old school). Jayhawk fans are indeed loyal, but way too quick to complain about not being mentioned in the same sentence as Duke and UNC.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Being a Duke fan in Kansas is interesting. There is a great amount of overt frustration within the Jayhawk fanbase, and the constant need to say "Hey! Our program is just as good as Duke, or UNC, or Kentucky!!!" It's not the normal Duke hate spewed by Carolina fans - but kind of a whining, plaintiff cry you might hear from a little brother that wants to be accepted by the big kids. Not sure where it comes from, since I don't see Duke or Carolina fans bashing Kansas (unless Carolina fans want to take a shot at Roy's old school). Jayhawk fans are indeed loyal, but way too quick to complain about not being mentioned in the same sentence as Duke and UNC.

Probably due to that 15 year black hole that was Roy William's tenure.

throatybeard
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I only know a few KU fans in Missouri, but the ones I do know have the attractive characteristic of being relatively indifferent to Duke compared to a lot of fans. I guess it's because they hate Carolina for sucking Roy back into the hill.

weezie
03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
I only know a few KU fans in Missouri, but the ones I do know have the attractive characteristic of being relatively indifferent to Duke compared to a lot of fans. I guess it's because they hate Carolina for sucking Roy back into the hill.

How refreshing! :cool:

crimsonandblue
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Probably too young to hate you for 1986 and 1991 and 2000 and existing. And those fans above were at Sprint Center not at Allen, so I suspect they're Missouri plants.

Oh, and plaintiff cry? Fail.

Bojangles4Eva
03-14-2011, 05:06 PM

I lived in Wichita for a year and agree completely. One of the most memorable days I had of work was the Monday after they got bounced in the 1st or 2nd round back in '06when they were a 2/3 seed. The depression was palpable, compounded by the fact that the whole year was filled with Rock Chalk proclimations that they were without a doubt going to run away with a NC, which they apparently do every year.

I have to say I am impressed at their ability to recruit such high calibur players to go to that state, though Topeka and Lawrence are okay.

throatybeard
03-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Probably too young to hate you for 1986 and 1991 and 2000 and existing. And those fans above were at Sprint Center not at Allen, so I suspect they're Missouri plants.

Oh, and plaintiff cry? Fail.

I guess I don't understand hating teams for getting beat by them in the NCAAT. I mean, a lot of us don't like UConn, but that has more to do with widespread perception of Calhoun. Louisville broke our hearts in 1986. That loss still hurts. I was nine. But I don't really care one way or the other about Louisville.

In fact, if you make the tournament just about every year, just about every other perennially strong program is going to beat you at some point. What, am I supposed to hate Villanova, and WVU, and VCU, and LSU, and Michigan State, and UConn (2), and KU (2), and Indiana (2), and Florida, and UK, and Providence, and Eastern Michigan, and Arkansas, and California, and UNLV, and Seton Hall, and Louisville, and Boston College, and Pepperdine...

...who has got the time or energy?

That gets us back as far as the Krzyzewksi era. It includes many of the big programs. Throw out Carolina, since we're purposely bracketed to be kept away from each other in the NCAAT. That list includes many of the big programs. You add more if you go back to Bubas and Foster, Purdue, UCLA.

Something I've never understood is why UK fans seem to have amnesia about their avenging the 1992 team on us in 1998. It's like 1998 never happened.

Main place I run into KU fans is at Cardinals games, for whatever reason.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I guess I don't understand hating teams for getting beat by them in the NCAAT. Louisville broke our hearts in 1986. That loss still hurts. I was nine. But I don't really care one way or the other about Louisville.

I was on the quad. And I still hate Denny @#$@#$ Crum.

Bitter? You bet.

crimsonandblue
03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I guess I don't understand hating teams for getting beat by them in the NCAAT. I mean, a lot of us don't like UConn, but that has more to do with widespread perception of Calhoun. Louisville broke our hearts in 1986. That loss still hurts. I was nine. But I don't really care one way or the other about Louisville.

In fact, if you make the tournament just about every year, just about every other perennially strong program is going to beat you at some point. What, am I supposed to hate Villanova, and WVU, and VCU, and LSU, and Michigan State, and UConn (2), and KU (2), and Indiana (2), and Florida, and UK, and Providence, and Eastern Michigan, and Arkansas, and California, and UNLV, and Seton Hall, and Louisville, and Boston College, and Pepperdine...

That gets us back as far as the Krzyzewksi era. It includes many of the big programs. Throw out Carolina, since we're purposely bracketed to be kept away from each other in the NCAAT. That list includes many of the big programs. You add more if you go back to Bubas and Foster, Purdue, UCLA.

Something I've never understood is why UK fans seem to have amnesia about their avenging the 1992 team on us in 1998. It's like 1998 never happened.

Main place I run into KU fans is at Cardinals games, for whatever reason.

I was mostly kidding. Any hatred of Duke has much less to do with the few tourney losses and more with resentment over not having the tourney wins that Duke's enjoyed over the past 25 years.

But if Kansas had beaten Duke three times and won multiple titles, you might resent KU more. Maybe not.

As for 86, that was the first year I really remember following KU hoops. KU had already beaten Louisville twice and lost to Duke once. It was heartbreaking to not get another shot at the 'Ville, especially knowing that Louisville could be had, although Crum always seemed to have his teams peak late.

-jk
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I was mostly kidding. Any hatred of Duke has much less to do with the few tourney losses and more with resentment over not having the tourney wins that Duke's enjoyed over the past 25 years.

But if Kansas had beaten Duke three times and won multiple titles, you might resent KU more. Maybe not.

As for 86, that was the first year I really remember following KU hoops. KU had already beaten Louisville twice and lost to Duke once. It was heartbreaking to not get another shot at the 'Ville, especially knowing that Louisville could be had, although Crum always seemed to have his teams peak late.

The real issue in Dallas was the dogfight Duke and KU had, and the relative cakewalk Louisville had with LSU. We were gassed. I'm not sure KU would have had the legs, either.

I was heartbroken at the loss to Louisville, and nearly got in a fight with a cameraman at Reunion after the game. He just wouldn't stop trying to put me on camera, regardless of the number of times I pushed it away. "Don't touch my camera." "Don't put it in my face." Lather. Rinse. Repeat. <sigh>

But I have no problem with KU. I went to a Duke a game in Phog - they really get into it.

-jk

hurleyfor3
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM

I try to limit my disliking to football schools who beat us by playing football. LSU, Florida, VPI. Go ahead, find five LSU fans who cared more about beating us in 2006 than about spring football practice. Calhoun? Huggins? Calipari? Like any of them are getting to four titles.

I respect the Roy-free Kansas as a program, although they don't have a consistently good rival or play in a strong enough conference to keep their fanbase in check.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Don't forget Washington in 1984.

Louisville broke our hearts in 1986. That loss still hurts. I was nine. But I don't really care one way or the other about Louisville.

My eight year old heart was broken by Louisville and I still hate them. My favorite Duke team led by Dawkins, my favorite all time player. Still hurts.

77devil
03-14-2011, 11:14 PM

They should be appreciative that Roy left so his replacement could finally deliver a championship.

I was on the quad. And I still hate Denny @#$@#$ Crum.

Bitter? You bet.

After suffering through the dark times as students, it was an especially long, long plane ride back to San Francisco for the Mrs. and me.

DukeWarhead
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Also! The KU fans I know always chaffe when CIS is mentioned as "the best" homecourt in college basketball. "No WAY! The Phog is better!! Our (now broken) win streak, yadda, yadda, yadda" is what comes out. I've been to Allen Field House. It's a good venue. The fans get loud. They throw paper in the air at the beginning of the game. However, (acknowledging bias here) I've been to CIS for a couple ACC games, and I'm sorry KU fans, but it's not really close when it comes to level of energy and intensity and the way the fans seem to active participants in the game on the court. I'm sure every fan thinks thier house is the best spot in college basketball. So, good for the KU fans for sticking up for the Phog. But they need to let go on the pooh-poohing of CIS - because it will continue to be seen as "the" court in college basketball.
.....the Dean Dome sucks, BTW.

TexHawk
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Also! The KU fans I know always chaffe when CIS is mentioned as "the best" homecourt in college basketball. "No WAY! The Phog is better!! Our (now broken) win streak, yadda, yadda, yadda" is what comes out. I've been to Allen Field House. It's a good venue. The fans get loud. They throw paper in the air at the beginning of the game. However, (acknowledging bias here) I've been to CIS for a couple ACC games, and I'm sorry KU fans, but it's not really close when it comes to level of energy and intensity and the way the fans seem to active participants in the game on the court. I'm sure every fan thinks thier house is the best spot in college basketball. So, good for the KU fans for sticking up for the Phog. But they need to let go on the pooh-poohing of CIS - because it will continue to be seen as "the" court in college basketball.
Errr, what does Jay Bilas think? ;)

As someone else pointed out already, KU does not have a real rival that is consistently good in CBB. This is not their fault. The sports scene in KC has been consistently terrible for the last 20 years, save for a few Chiefs teams (who fail spectacularly in the playoffs). KU basketball is the only thing around. Mizzou/KSU try, and sometimes win a few games, but are not consistent threats.

Be honest, how would your fanbase act if you did not have UNC around to keep you in check, while you won seven (7!) straight conference titles, a national championship, #1 seeds 4 out of 5 years, and a coach who has won 84% of his games? I think a little *local* confidence can be expected.

As a fan myself, there is a part of me that would encourage the Morrii, Thomas Robinson, and Josh Selby to enter the NBA draft. If so, next year's team will not be very good at all. Then we could weed out the front-runners.

rsvman
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
....It's not the normal Duke hate spewed by Carolina fans - but kind of a whining, plaintiff cry you might hear from a little brother that wants to be accepted by the big kids. ........

Speaking of fail......

Pretty sure you meant to say "plaintive" here. :)

juise
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Errr, what does Jay Bilas think? ;)

Jay thinks that he likes having the image of a relatively unbiased journalist. Some of us give him a pass on that. :p

BD80
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
... those fans above were at Sprint Center not at Allen, so I suspect they're Missouri plants. ...

No, they were M-I-S-O-S-U-R-I plants.

crimsonandblue
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
No, they were M-I-S-O-S-U-R-I plants.

Missourians can't even spell Missouri. They have to shorten it to Mizzou. So, therefore, res ipso factoid, there can be no mizzpelling of Missouri.

DukieInKansas
03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Missourians can't even spell Missouri. They have to shorten it to Mizzou. So, therefore, res ipso factoid, there can be no mizzpelling of Missouri.

The smart ones just go with MU! ;)

KYtotheCore
03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

I have to say that even we UK fans aren't so delusional to think Rupp Arena is the best venue . . . tough place to play when 23,000 are screaming, but our students sit too far back from the court, and there is always disdain from some fans over the older, financially-blessed fans that stay seated. Cameron Indoor has to be the most well-designed place to play, based on what I've seen (compliments of ESPN).