PDA

View Full Version : Pick The Shocker (The "You Heard It Here First" Thread)

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
12 seeds beating 5 seeds seems to occur pretty often. They're not shockers. But 13 seeds or lower winning? That's what we're talking about.

Pick your shocker, explain your reasoning, and then if it happens, return to this thread later and pat yourself on the back.

Poll will be public. Since poll options are limited to 15 choices, I will not be including Belmont/Wisconsin since I suspect Belmont would be a trendy pick anyway.

Edit: Unfortunately, I wasn't able to type the poll quickly enough. Polls must be added within 5 minutes of the thread starting, apparently. Sorry, but hear are the choices:

13 Princeton over 4 Kentucky
13 Morehead St over 4 Louisville
13 Oakland over 4 Texas
14 Indiana St over 3 Syracuse
14 St. Peter's over 3 Purdue
14 Wofford over 3 BYU
14 Bucknell over 3 UConn
15 Long Island over 2 UNC
15 Akron over 2 Notre Dame
15 UCSB over 2 Florida
15 No Col over 2 SDSU
16 UTSA/ASU over 1 Ohio St
16 Boston over 1 Kansas
16 ULAR/UNC-A over 1 Pittsburgh
16 Hampton over 1 Duke

Select from these, give your reasoning, and then pat yourself on the back later if you get it right

wilson
03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
The Long Island Blackbirds over the heels.
Hey, we can dream, right?

dukeimac
03-14-2011, 01:43 PM
#13 prince to beat Kentucky
or
#14 Wofford to beat BYU

FerryFor50
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
#13 Morehead St over Louisville

#13 Oakland over Texas (more wishful thinking than anything)

SuperTurkey
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Why not the "You Hered It Here First" thread? :)

House G
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Wofford Terriers over BYU.

COYS
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
This is perhaps the strongest group of 4 seeds in years . . . but I'm gonna go with my heart and pick Princeton over Kentucky. Princeton executes well on the offensive end, protects the ball to prevent Kentucky from getting out into the open court, and rebounds well on the defensive side to keep the game close. Mavraides gets hot from three point range late in the second half to give Princeton the narrowest of leads. Kareem Maddox makes an impressive defensive play to force Brandon Knight into a bad shot in the final seconds after switching onto Knight following a screen at the top of the key. After the game, Knight, Jones and Lamb immediately declare for the draft and hire agents, Shabazz Muhammad promptly drops UK from his list in a tweet aimed at Alex Murphy that closes with the line "lol @ UK, we gonna make it happen @ Duke!", and the seat starts getting warm for Calipari as Wildcat nation realizes that no banners are hung for number 1 recruiting classes.

airowe
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
#13 Belmont will beat #4 Wisconsin. Belmont is in the Top 20 on Kenpom and Wisconsin is vulnerable away from home. If Jordan Taylor can be contained (you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him) they should be able to eke out a win.

Kedsy
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
#13 Belmont will beat #4 Wisconsin. Belmont is in the Top 20 on Kenpom and Wisconsin is vulnerable away from home. If Jordan Taylor can be contained (you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him) they should be able to eke out a win.

I agree with airowe that this is the best bet of the 4/13 games. The problem for Belmont is Wisconsin is a very tough team -- my crazy prediction is this: Wisconsin will either (a) lose to Belmont in the first round; or (b) go all the way to the Final Four. I have no idea which will happen, though.

jipops
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
I concur. Belmont over Wisconsin. The Southeast is very hard to pick. My thoughts were similar to Kedsy. At first glance I had Wisc going to the FF. But the Belmont game is scary.

COYS
03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree with airowe that this is the best bet of the 4/13 games. The problem for Belmont is Wisconsin is a very tough team -- my crazy prediction is this: Wisconsin will either (a) lose to Belmont in the first round; or (b) go all the way to the Final Four. I have no idea which will happen, though.

This is the primary problem I have with my bracket as it stands right now. I have Wisconsin as a final 4 team because i think that their region is by far the weakest and Wiscy is a formidable team. That being said, the Nashvillian in me wants to pick the local boys to upset the Badgers in the first round yet again . . . something that I think is likely. I share your torment with what to do with the Badgers. Unfortunately for me, I used up my 4 vs. 13 upset on Princeton =).

FerryFor50
03-14-2011, 02:03 PM
#13 Morehead St over Louisville

#13 Oakland over Texas (more wishful thinking than anything)

Going to expound a bit on these.

Louisville, I think, is susceptible to a loss because I think they're a team that only "gets up" for the bigger name teams. Plus, Morehead St has a monster in Kenneth Faried, who some are calling the next Rodman:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/19150/kenneth-faried-the-next-dennis-rodman

He gets into foul trouble, it's over for them. But he could be one of those difference makers that leads to an upset.

As for Oakland, they remind me of teams that come into the tournament and always give higher seeds trouble (like George Mason, Murray St, etc).

Texas might get caught off guard. But as I said, more wishful thinking than anything so that Duke doesn't have to face them.

pfrduke
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Poll added - make your votes above!

anon
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Need an option for Belmont/Wisconsin. Wisconsin will be the only 1 through 4 seed to go down in the first round.

I also think Utah State will knock off K-State, creating the beloved 12-13 matchup in the second round.

Kedsy
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Poll added - make your votes above!

Except Belmont vs. Wisconsin doesn't appear to be in the poll, unless I'm missing something.

MChambers
03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Except Belmont vs. Wisconsin doesn't appear to be in the poll, unless I'm missing something.
I was just about to point out same thing. Belmont is an obvious choice as an upset. I ended up voting for Florida losing, because they have lost several games to very weak teams this year, including losing to Jacksonville in Gainesville. Another possibility is Oakland over Texas, but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

pfrduke
03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Need an option for Belmont/Wisconsin. Wisconsin will be the only 1 through 4 seed to go down in the first round.

I also think Utah State will knock off K-State, creating the beloved 12-13 matchup in the second round.

I was just about to point out same thing. Belmont is an obvious choice as an upset. I ended up voting for Florida losing, because they have lost several games to very weak teams this year, including losing to Jacksonville in Gainesville. Another possibility is Oakland over Texas, but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

The original poster indicated his desire to leave Belmont/Wisconsin off the list - I just created the poll he would have created. If Troublemaker wants me to revise the options, I think (although am not positive) that I can do that (and if I can't, I'll just create a new poll thread and move all the posts into the new one).

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
The original poster indicated his desire to leave Belmont/Wisconsin off the list - I just created the poll he would have created. If Troublemaker wants me to revise the options, I think (although am not positive) that I can do that (and if I can't, I'll just create a new poll thread and move all the posts into the new one).

Thanks for making the poll for me, pfr!

You are correct. I left Belmont/Wiscy out because (A) they are going to be one of this year's trendy picks; the idea is to pick a "shocker" (i.e. very few people would select) and (B) poll options are limited to 15 choices anyway (not sure if that's different for a moderator like you).

wilson
03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
The original poster indicated his desire to leave Belmont/Wisconsin off the list - I just created the poll he would have created.

You are correct. I left Belmont/Wiscy out because (A) they are going to be one of this year's trendy picks; the idea is to pick a "shocker" (i.e. very few people would select) and (B) poll options are limited to 15 choices anyway (not sure if that's different for a moderator like you)....not that reading the thread with any measure of care is encouraged around here or anything.:rolleyes:

As for my pick, I think my #1 selection is Princeton over Kentucky. Princeton's style of play could well flummox the young Wildcats, just as West Virginia's zone did last year. If shots don't fall early, frustration and pressing (of the mental kind, not the defensive kind) could well spell doom for Kentucky.
I'm also tempted to pick Wofford over BYU, as the Terriers came very close to springing a first-round upset last year vs. Wisconsin and BYU is clearly not what they once were. I'm hesitant on that one, though, because I just don't see Jimmer allowing the Cougars to flame out so early.

DU82
03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I picked LIU over the smurfs, as I always do. Pick Duke to win the whole thing, pick UNC to lose in the first round. My two absolute rules in filling out my bracket. Of course, I was unable to follow both rules last year. But I did OK overall. :)

Orange&BlackSheep
03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
This is the primary problem I have with my bracket as it stands right now. I have Wisconsin as a final 4 team because i think that their region is by far the weakest and Wiscy is a formidable team. That being said, the Nashvillian in me wants to pick the local boys to upset the Badgers in the first round yet again . . . something that I think is likely. I share your torment with what to do with the Badgers. Unfortunately for me, I used up my 4 vs. 13 upset on Princeton =).

I don't even dare to dream this dream.

I was in Providence for the now infamous Georgetown game, and it almost killed me.

Troublemaker
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Revisiting....

Well done, the six of you who picked Morehead St to beat Louisiville.

The six of you were:

1. Dev11
2. DMV2434
3. FerryFor50
4. noyac
5. rasputin
6. Wander

Nice job, guys!

Troublemaker
03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
It's obviously been a crazy tournament overall

In the Southwest region (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24806-Discussion-thread-Southwest-%28San-Antonio%29-bracket/page5) thread, NOBODY picked "Other"/VCU to win

In the Southeast region (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24804-Discussion-thread-Southeast-%28New-Orleans%29-bracket) thread, only Diamond Dave picked Butler to the Final Four. Nice call, diamond dave!

In the West Region (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24803-Discussion-thread-West-%28Anaheim%29-bracket-Duke-1-seed/page12) thread, three people were able to call UConn to the Final Four: -bdbd, TheRob8801, uh_no. Good job guys for showing no faith in your team ;-) (but getting it right!)

Finally, in the East Region (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24805-Discussion-thread-East-%28Newark%29-bracket/page11) thread, only KYtotheCore and I nailed Kentucky. Will the NCAA soon do the same with sanctions? We will see.

SuperTurkey
03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
In the West Region (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24803-Discussion-thread-West-%28Anaheim%29-bracket-Duke-1-seed/page12) thread, three people were able to call UConn to the Final Four: -bdbd, TheRob8801, uh_no. Good job guys for showing no faith in your team ;-) (but getting it right!)

To be fair, UCon is uh_no's first love. Duke is just his mistress. ;)

COYS
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
To be fair, UCon is uh_no's first love. Duke is just his mistress. ;)

Yeah, the super-hot wish-I-had-met-her-first kind of mistress :)

weezie
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Yikes! Pretty racy stuff for a Wed afternoon! :D