PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel fired by Oklahoma

JasonEvans
03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
According to Seth Davis' tweet.

-Jason "shocking" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
That is a surprise. Mighty short fuse out there. Gotta wonder if there would be interest at either State or GT, and if he'd take an ACC position coaching against Coach K. Is that - a disciple coaching at another ACC school - something we've ever seriously discussed on the boards? I don't think so.

FerryFor50
03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
According to Seth Davis' tweet.

-Jason "shocking" Evans

Coaching can be an unfair business.

Loses Blake Griffin and has some problem recruits, 2 mediocre/bad years later and he's shown the door.

I guess Oklahoma, despite being a football school, couldn't stand seeing Texas do well at something they weren't.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
That is a surprise. Mighty short fuse out there. Gotta wonder if there would be interest at either State or GT, and if he'd take an ACC position coaching against Coach K. Is that - a disciple coaching at another ACC school - something we've ever seriously discussed on the boards? I don't think so.
Keep in mind how Coach K doesn't schedule regular season games against his former players, and hates to play them in the post season (like against Quin when he was at Missouri).

devilsadvocate85
03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Just reported on ESPN. Sorry to see this, but I expect he'll be back in D1 soon.

UrinalCake
03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Minor quibble here, but I thought K's issue was with playing against former assistant coaches (most of whom also played for him). To my knowledge Capel never coached alongside K.

A-Tex Devil
03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Jeff's and Quin's arcs were remarkably similar in that they both had some early success and were torpedoed by some players with questionable character. Jeff whiffed on recruiting last year and lost all of his most talented players. I would say that he actually did pretty well this year considering the talent on the team.

I can't see Tech or State going after Capel. They need to steal someone away or hire an up and comer that's been successful at another school.

JasonEvans
03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Here is what I wrote about Capel in the Coaching Carousel thread about a week ago--

Capel's problems come from the disastrous 2009 recruiting class. When he signed it, that class appeared to be one of the tops in the nation. It featured 2 Mickie Dees in Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. Both players had disappointing freshman seasons peppered with suspensions and run-ins with the coach. They both foolishly turned pro after one year at Oklahoma and are both playing in the D-League now.

Jeff's recruiting has fallen markedly since then. His 2010 class had 8 players in it, but only one of them was a top 100 recruit. 2011 has been really bad as he has only gotten one Juco player to sign... no high schoolers.

The good thing is that Oklahoma has a young roster. They have only one senior this year (though it is their leading scorer, Cade Davis). All their other best players are all freshmen and sophs, so their is a chance the can improve next season and the year after. But, Jeff is going to need to pick up the recruiting and sign a stud or two to get Oklahoma back to being a serious contender in the B12.

-Jason "I agree that Jeff gets at least one more year... probably more than that so long as he does not have another bottom of the B12 season" Evans

I am really surprised Oklahoma was so quick with the trigger on him. I think he has the foundation in place for that team to really improve. He is essentially being fired for tiny Gallon and Mason-Griffin being knuckleheads who ruined two seasons. Seems a bit unfair given that he appears to have a fairly decent foundation in place. It may be that his weak recruiting this year did him in.

I sorta doubt Ga Tech or NC State would look at a guy who just got fired at Oklahoma. The usual pattern is to hire a guy who is doing a good job somewhere, not someone who just got canned... and it is not like he got fired from an elite program like Kentucky or UCLA (Gillespie and Lavin). What's more, it would take a lot for an ACC program to hire a guy strongly identified with a rival ACC school.

All that said, I think he could do a nice job at either Tech or NC State if he was given the opportunity.

--Jason "my bet is that Jeff rehabs his coaching image at a pretty good mid-major in someplace like the A10 or Conf USA... or perhaps one of the weaker BCS programs" Evans

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't like to hear this news. I was worried about this when Blake Griffin left, knowing that would be Jeff's true test. Wishing Jeff the best at coaching success in the future!

sagegrouse
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Minor quibble here, but I thought K's issue was with playing against former assistant coaches (most of whom also played for him). To my knowledge Capel never coached alongside K.

Well,.... If someone from Duke is offered a job in the ACC, it ain't K's decision -- it's the former player's or coach's.

sagegrouse

crimsonandblue
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
... is that this was done in an attempt to get out ahead of Texas Tech for Billy Gillispie.

TexHawk
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread, but OU's hand was likely forced by Texas Tech and Arkansas, as they are all suitors for Billy Gillespie. He would be a monster at OU with his Texas recruiting ties and OU's resources. He would also thrive without the pressure (Bob Stoops gets most of it in Norman).

On Capel... hard to believe he turned down the Arizona job to stay there. Loyalty doesn't mean much these days, eh?

Cameron
03-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Unfortunate for Jeff, but I think this should answer any and all questions regarding his chances of becoming the next head basketball coach of Duke. Many Blue Devil faithful, especially on TDD in several "next in line" type threads over the years, have indicated that they believed this would be the case. Um, no.

I would not, however, agree with the sentiment that Capel was given a "short leash." The Sooners have won nine games in the relatively watered-down Big XII since Blake Griffin left town two seasons ago -- Oklahoma is 27-36 overall and has suffered through back-to-back losing campaigns during that stretch.

The sudden departure of Griffin may have set things back in Norman, but Jeff is gone because he failed to keep Oklahoma simply "afloat." I feel bad for him personally, but this is the world of college basketball we live in today.

COYS
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Unfortunate for Jeff, but I think this should answer any and all questions regarding his chances of becoming the next head basketball coach of Duke. Many Blue Devil faithful, especially on TDD in several "next in line" type threads over the years, have indicated that they believed this would be the case. Um, no.

Of course, K's story seems far from over. I would imagine that the coach succession landscape may change dramatically before K decides to hang it up. Capel will have a chance to land on his feet. I am disappointed with how things went for him at Oklahoma post Griffin, but he is a young coach still and will have time to reestablish himself with another program.

Chicago 1995
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread, but OU's hand was likely forced by Texas Tech and Arkansas, as they are all suitors for Billy Gillespie. He would be a monster at OU with his Texas recruiting ties and OU's resources. He would also thrive without the pressure (Bob Stoops gets most of it in Norman).

On Capel... hard to believe he turned down the Arizona job to stay there. Loyalty doesn't mean much these days, eh?

Gillispie comes with a lot of baggage. Lots and lots and lots. He was notorious in Champaign when he was an assistant, and many of the same problems were present in El Paso, College Station and Lexington. He has been through rehab though.

If that's why OU is making this move, it's either going to be brilliant or disasterous. No middle ground. I suspect that Gillispie's baggage makes the latter more likely, which makes this a curious decision if Billy G is the guy there.

BD80
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
... is that this was done in an attempt to get out ahead of Texas Tech for Billy Gillispie.

So sad, but so true.

Jeff would be a great assistant for Wojo or Collins if either gets a shot next year, just for a year or two to help get the program and recruiting going.

Jeff would also be a very good "talking head" for ESPN or CBS, they love coaches.

crimsonandblue
03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Gillispie comes with a lot of baggage. Lots and lots and lots. He was notorious in Champaign when he was an assistant, and many of the same problems were present in El Paso, College Station and Lexington. He has been through rehab though.

If that's why OU is making this move, it's either going to be brilliant or disasterous. No middle ground. I suspect that Gillispie's baggage makes the latter more likely, which makes this a curious decision if Billy G is the guy there.

Why curious? Basketball is a sidelight on the way to spring football. Might as well try for the home run hire. And personal foibles aside, he's apparently run clean programs, which is OU's biggest concern following Sampson and probation.

Chicago 1995
03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Why curious? Basketball is a sidelight on the way to spring football. Might as well try for the home run hire. And personal foibles aside, he's apparently run clean programs, which is OU's biggest concern following Sampson and probation.

From what I know of Gillispie's behavior issues in Champaign and Lexington, I wouldn't touch him -- clean programs or not. I think there's a serious question as to how much he could provide oversight for a program.

And the staff he was a part of at Illinois under Self had a pretty high number of minor infractions. That's not indicative of being dirty like Kelvin Sampson, but it is worth noting.

jimsumner
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow.

Disappointed. And surprised. And disappointed some more.

I'm pretty sure Jeff is a lifer and will get another chance. Look at how Amaker has revived his career at Harvard. But it's still a body blow.

Biscuit King
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech or State would be lucky to hire Jeff Capel. Unfortunately, neither school is likely smart enough to realize that.

Bojangles4Eva
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
He did poorly the last two years, there is no doubt about that, but even if Capel didn't go to Duke, this would have upset me just the same. This whole knee-jerk reaction with coaches getting fired (not just NCAA BB, but NFL, NBA, NCAA FB, etc) is just another example of how we have gone rabid with the desire for instantaneous success that any brief moment (and two years is brief) of below average performance and your gone.

Its the whole hyper-profit/success oriented atmosphere sports has turned into which makes pro players have zero loyalty to a team, and AD's/GM's have zero tolerance for good coaches which have a short run of underperforming. Under that logic, Andre, Ryan, Miles, Mason, Curry, and maybe Singler all should have been kicked off the team by now. This has infested every aspect of our society, so that no one has any patience for anything to grow. Its like planting a seed and expecting a redwood two years later, irregardless of where the seed was planted or what weather it was exposed to...rediculous.

Adversity will always come, but those who have the ability to learn and adapt will ultimately have continued success, but how can you do that if all your superiors can see is the bottom line one inch from their faces?

Okay, rant over...had to get that out.

crimsonandblue
03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
From what I know of Gillispie's behavior issues in Champaign and Lexington, I wouldn't touch him -- clean programs or not. I think there's a serious question as to how much he could provide oversight for a program.

And the staff he was a part of at Illinois under Self had a pretty high number of minor infractions. That's not indicative of being dirty like Kelvin Sampson, but it is worth noting.

Guenther, is that you? (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2003/jul/21/selfreported_violations_by/) Below is a (biased-KU-centric) summary of the 20 secondary violations incurred over four years that the Illinois AD, Guenther, turned in, in what looked like a slap at Self for leaving.

The violations included housekeeping items such as athletes or coaches failing to fill out forms or providing a wrong per diem. Instead of the permissible $6.50 for lunch in one report, a staff member provided $7 to each player; in another instance, a staff member provided $20 per player for dinner instead of the allowable $19.

Another violation occurred when USA Basketball sent out a news release noting two incoming Illini freshmen were selected for the 2002 USA Basketball world junior qualifying team. When U of I officials sent the news release to Illinois media outlets, Illinois was in violation of an NCAA rule forbidding schools to publicize incoming players until the first day of the school year.

One impermissible contact with a recruit came in July when Self was in Peoria, Ill., and recruit Brian Randle approached him to announce he was committing to Illinois. Under NCAA rules during that period, Self was allowed to exchange greetings with Randle, but exceeded that.

"After (Randle) committed, I asked, 'Are you serious? That's great. Congratulations,' and then had a brief exchange," Self said, adding, "I believe this was an unavoidable situation. Looking back, maybe it could have been handled better, but ... I felt I responded the way anyone would have."

Some of the 20 violations almost are comical. For example:

l In October 2000, a coach failed to receive prior written approval for being paid to speak at a clinic.

l In December 2000, the parent of a current athlete did not pay for a meal at Self's house until the following day.

l In October 2001, a prospect had two meals at Self's home instead of the permissible one.

"I think Bill is an honest guy," Illinois athletics director Ron Guenther said. "I think Bill came from a different culture and (found) we ran our compliance program in a much different way than what he was used to."

Anyway, I just wouldn't hold these against Gillispie.

Reddevil
03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Sitting here in Richmond, VA we hear rumors that Shaka Smart (VCU) is a hot up and comer that may get a shot at a BCS school. I wonder if it would be too weird if Capel came back. I've never heard of this happening before, but he would certainly be welcomed with open arms.

Reilly
03-14-2011, 04:19 PM
... I've never heard of this happening before, but he would certainly be welcomed with open arms.

Buzz Peterson at App State. I'm guessing there are other examples.

Matches
03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech or State would be lucky to hire Jeff Capel. Unfortunately, neither school is likely smart enough to realize that.

You really think Jeff - who couldn't recruit at OU - could compete with K and Roy as the NCSU coach?

No shot. Jeff's a good basketball guy with a nice pedigree and a lot of connections, and he will find work without much trouble - but his next job isn't going to be at a BCS school.

A-Tex Devil
03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
You really think Jeff - who couldn't recruit at OU - could compete with K and Roy as the NCSU coach?

No shot. Jeff's a good basketball guy with a nice pedigree and a lot of connections, and he will find work without much trouble - but his next job isn't going to be at a BCS school.

This isn't quite accurate. He recruited pretty well, but just had a disastrous return on the 2009 class that he was never allowed to recover from. He can recruit, and will recruit, regardless of where he ends up.

Looks like OU will likely miss out on Gillespie as Tech sources claim Gillespie will be announced on Wednesday.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Wow.

Disappointed. And surprised. And disappointed some more.

I'm pretty sure Jeff is a lifer and will get another chance. Look at how Amaker has revived his career at Harvard. But it's still a body blow.

If Yale hires Jeff Capel, I am never visiting DBR again. :p

wilson
03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech or State would be lucky to hire Jeff Capel. Unfortunately, neither school is likely smart enough to realize that.Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, whose work I generally like and respect, suggests just that (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/03/14/jeff-capel-fired-should-he-be-a-candidate-at-georgia-tech/) for the Jackets in his column today.

JasonEvans
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, whose work I generally like and respect, suggests just that (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/03/14/jeff-capel-fired-should-he-be-a-candidate-at-georgia-tech/) for the Jackets in his column today.

I don't think Tech will put much money into this hire after paying a small fortune to get rid of Hewitt and being on very tight budget. They will go after a Mid-Major success or a current assistant ready to move up in an effort to stay inexpensive.

Capel would be too pricey, and it would be hard for any ACC school to hire a guy so closely associated with Duke.

--Jason "and I bet the contract will NOT contain a rollover clause ;) " Evans

mr. synellinden
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Blake Griffin strongly defends Capel (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6221727)and criticizes OU for firing him

HK Dukie
03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
That Blake Griffin criticism of the Capel firing really makes me respect Griffin even more. I like that he stands up for guys who backed him.

Maybe now I won't begrudge him for not jumping over the middle of the car instead of the hood!

Acymetric
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Blake Griffin strongly defends Capel (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6221727)and criticizes OU for firing him

Wow...really strong words from Griffin. Wish we saw things like that more in these situations, seeing former players sticking up for a coach like this is refreshing.

mcdukie
03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
This is how this is going to go: Capel will work a year or so on TV (like Lavin), use the opportunity to show his knowledge, get a job he really wants (like Lavin). He is still a young coach who did very well for his age at VCU. He will be just fine but he will not be the next coach at Duke.