PDA

View Full Version : Roy Gives a Shout out to Bobby Hurley

MCFinARL
03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Trying to help out a dejected Kendall Marshall after yesterday's game, Roy offered the example of Bobby Hurley--a point guard who lost a big one to UNLV and bounced back to be a "big time, big time, big time" player.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-marshall-struggles-apologizes

Lord Ash
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I'll be honest; while I hate Carolina and I love all of Roy's verbal gaffes, he does strike me as a good fellow. He has always been complimentary of seniors and other teams that play well, and his attachment to his former team(s) has always struck me as a little sweet.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I thought Roy's post-game press conference was actually pretty good. I too liked the line about Hurley. Although the comment preceding it ("y'know, this all happened before you were born, but . . . ") kind of hurt. ;>)

MCFinARL
03-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I thought Roy's post-game press conference was actually pretty good. I too liked the line about Hurley. Although the comment preceding it ("y'know, this all happened before you were born, but . . . ") kind of hurt. ;>)

Yes, well, the truth does hurt sometimes--kind of how I feel when I face a classroom full of college students who can't even remember a time when they couldn't get video on their phones--much less a time when they didn't have color TV.....

Reddevil
03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, well, the truth does hurt sometimes--kind of how I feel when I face a classroom full of college students who can't even remember a time when they couldn't get video on their phones--much less a time when they didn't have color TV.....

Remember when David Thompson got undercut, and had to get stitches-

Wait who?

Oh nevermind!

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM

I used to joke about kids who did not know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, but now I'm not even sure they know who Paul McCartney is.

Roy's PC gave a lot of credit to Duke and he had a lot of positive things to say about Nolan. Roy said that when Nolan came out, Roy stood up and applauded.

I like to make fun of Roy, but have nowhere near the #$#@ about him like I did for Dean. (Which, again, kind of makes me feel old).

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
This is great. I'm sure this is exactly what the heels fans wanted to hear from Roy following their getting dismantled from start to finish by Duke in the ACC Championship!!

hurley1
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I'll be honest; while I hate Carolina and I love all of Roy's verbal gaffes, he does strike me as a good fellow. He has always been complimentary of seniors and other teams that play well, and his attachment to his former team(s) has always struck me as a little sweet.

i have nothing but respect for roy and n.c.......i don't get all caught up in the hate.....next to duke, they are my favorite team......but, i am a duke man all the way....

MCFinARL
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I used to joke about kids who did not know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, but now I'm not even sure they know who Paul McCartney is.

Roy's PC gave a lot of credit to Duke and he had a lot of positive things to say about Nolan. Roy said that when Nolan came out, Roy stood up and applauded.

I like to make fun of Roy, but have nowhere near the #$#@ about him like I did for Dean. (Which, again, kind of makes me feel old).

Wait--Dean who? ;)

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Wait--Dean who? ;)

Curse you and your enviable youth!!!!

And, stay off my lawn with your loud music and gyrating dance steps.

MCFinARL
03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Curse you and your enviable youth!!!!

And, stay off my lawn with your loud music and gyrating dance steps.

Well, I did include a winky face--I promise you I'm old enough that I keep all my loud music and gyrating dance steps on my own property (preferably indoors and out of sight).

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, I did include a winky face--I promise you I'm old enough that I keep all my loud music and gyrating dance steps on my own property (preferably indoors and out of sight).

I'm required to keep my gyrating dance steps indoors and out of sight. !@#$ restraining orders . . . .

Devilsfan
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Is it youth or is it old age and dementia setting in? He doesn't seem to remember those straw baskets used as goals and the short shorts worn back in Dean's era.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Is it youth or is it old age and dementia setting in? He doesn't seem to remember those straw baskets used as goals and the short shorts worn back in Dean's era.

If you ever saw Joe Wolf in short shorts, it would haunt you for all of your days.

Teacherjrob
03-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm an old Duke fan, though not one to post much on DBR. I saw something after the game on Sunday that certainly warmed my heart in this our cold-blooded rivalry. Nolan Smith made his way down the Carolina line and stopped to speak with Roy Williams. They shook hands, and then they hugged. It was, I believe, a simple and genuine moment of mutual respect and humanity, and I surely did not expect to see a coach give the star of his arch-rival a hug right after the personal waxing young Mr. Smith had just given the Heels on both ends of the court. Now, I've laughed at "Huckleberry" Williams plenty of times, and I can never quite figure why he seems to throw a player or five under the bus on occasion and then hop in behind the wheel. On top of that, I'm not going to start rooting for Carolina when they are not playing Duke. I haven't lost my mind. However, I am going to look at Roy Williams a little differently the next time I see him on the sidelines. To me, he helped put our rivalry into more human perspective, far more sensible than the mindless drivel that I hear from a lot of Carolina (and at least some) Duke fans over who's the king of the mountain.

Channing
03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
based on what I saw out of Marshall this year ... the unfortunate thing (for Duke fans) is that Hurley may be a very apt comparison.

camion
03-15-2011, 08:53 AM
The most galling thing about KM is that he seems to be a good guy. I hate not hating UNC players. :mad:

Matches
03-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Now, I've laughed at "Huckleberry" Williams plenty of times, and I can never quite figure why he seems to throw a player or five under the bus on occasion and then hop in behind the wheel. On top of that, I'm not going to start rooting for Carolina when they are not playing Duke. I haven't lost my mind. However, I am going to look at Roy Williams a little differently the next time I see him on the sidelines.

I've never met Roy but everyone I know who has describes him as a very nice guy. A friend of mine (who is also a Duke alum) spoke with him at some length at a Make A Wish fundraiser and had nothing but nice things to say about him. Clearly he's a bit of a diva but all in all Roy seems to be a classy fellow.

The moment with Nolan was excellent - I've noticed Nolan having several moments like that this season with opposing coaches and players, and I really like the idea that despite rivalries etc. the ACC is a community, and the players and coaches respect and support one another.

DevilHorns
03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
i have nothing but respect for roy and n.c.......i don't get all caught up in the hate.....next to duke, they are my favorite team......but, i am a duke man all the way....

This is impossible. If you are a ''duke man all the way''... then UNC is last on your favorite teams list... not 2nd!

MCFinARL
03-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I've never met Roy but everyone I know who has describes him as a very nice guy. A friend of mine (who is also a Duke alum) spoke with him at some length at a Make A Wish fundraiser and had nothing but nice things to say about him. Clearly he's a bit of a diva but all in all Roy seems to be a classy fellow.

The moment with Nolan was excellent - I've noticed Nolan having several moments like that this season with opposing coaches and players, and I really like the idea that despite rivalries etc. the ACC is a community, and the players and coaches respect and support one another.

Some of this, I think, is attributable to Nolan specifically--he seems to know everyone in basketball, is friends with everyone, has a great personality. It's seemingly impossible even for bitter rivals to dislike Nolan. But it does set a great example for everyone of how rivalries can be at their best.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
This is impossible. If you are a ''duke man all the way''... then UNC is last on your favorite teams list... not 2nd!

Agreed. While you can certainly respect both heaven and hell, you can't like them both.

gus
03-15-2011, 10:47 AM
The most galling thing about KM is that he seems to be a good guy. I hate not hating UNC players. :mad:

It's a bit maddening isn't it? The back story with LDII makes it even harder to dislike Marshall. He's going to be a heck of a point guard for the heels.

The truth is that I don't hate this UNC team. It's embarrassing to admit that. Damn you Larry Drew! Why did you have to leave?

wilson
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
It's a bit maddening isn't it? The back story with LDII makes it even harder to dislike Marshall. He's going to be a heck of a point guard for the heels.

The truth is that I don't hate this UNC team. It's embarrassing to admit that. Damn you Larry Drew! Why did you have to leave?I don't generally hate the kids who make up the team, with a few glaring counter-examples.
But I sure do hate that laundry.

Mcluhan
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

My fear is that Marshall is the best recruiting tool UNC has right now. If I was a hotshot scorer coming out of high school I'd be dying to play with him.

dukebluesincebirth
03-15-2011, 11:31 AM
My fear is that Marshall is the best recruiting tool UNC has right now. If I was a hotshot scorer coming out of high school I'd be dying to play with him.

Austin Rivers didn't seem to think so!

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM

The truth is that I don't hate this UNC team. It's embarrassing to admit that. Damn you Larry Drew! Why did you have to leave?

Have to agree. I really like KM. Bullock and HB are, well, I can't really say it on a public forum. Henson is my favorite player this year to make fun of because of his string bean-ness and the way he carries his emotions. Strickland is a loud mouth and Leslie McDonald has a terrible haircut.

Gotta admit though - I also don't mind Zeller. Seems like a nice guy and doesn't get enough attention on this attention-seeking team.

Poincaré
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Come on guys... Don't hurt yourselves in your rush to name your favorite Tar Hole players... ;) Really, they get enough love and affection from Tar Hole fans. You will spoil them.

My favorite Carolina players are the ones that suck. Shouldn't that be the only criterion?

BD80
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM

My favorite Carolina players are the ones that suck. Shouldn't that be the only criterion?

By definition, Carolina players suck. Choosing to wear that ugly color blue is, ab initio, proof of the fact.

Some go further, like like by feeding the hype with a skypetacular broadcast of "the decision" or by choosing an inane name - "The Black Falcon." Others choose to trash-talk Duke or its coach without having any skill to back up the trash, or choose to dance and prance before or during games - again without any skill.

Some have redeeming qualities that should be commended - i.e. Henson has a talented sister who is much wiser than he.

cruxer
03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I agree that Roy was extremely classy and complimentary of our seniors in the press conference, and that most of the heels are somewhat likable. However an angel gains their wings every time unc loses; therefore, the noble man must root against them always.

-c

basket1544
03-15-2011, 08:35 PM

If you're not first, you're last!

9F!

OldPhiKap
03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
If you're not first, you're last!

9F!

Does that make UNC our Katie Couric?!?

Yuck.

lotusland
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Then you are missing out on half the fun;)