PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Hampton, Friday at Charlotte, Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
We are where we set out to be: #1 seed. Duke plays the Pirates of Hampton Univ. (24-8), the MEAC champions. I haven't seen Hampton, but the Pirates have wins over Winthrop, Boston U., GW, and Colorado State. Their leading scorers are guards, 6-6 Darrion Pellum and 6-3 Kwame Morgan II. 6-8 Charles Funches grabs the rebounds (7.8), and Brandon Tunnell is the distributor (4.5 assists).

Given the lack of success of #16 seeds, I think the questions are mostly about Duke:

1. What about Kyrie? He seems eager to suit up but has not yet participated in 5-on-5 scrimmages.

2. Will the intensity be there for Duke? I always say "yes" and am usually right, because Duke's walkthroughs and shootarounds at the NCAAs are more intense than other teams' scrimmages. But the question remains.

3. Will the incredible supporting cast continue their hot streaks from the ACCs: Miles, Ryan, Seth, Andre and Mason? Who needs a #3 scorer?

4. Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?

It's great to be back at this time of the year --

sagegrouse

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for expeditiously posting the game thread and asking thought provoking questions to stir the conversation. It's March Madness so we have to be sure to take care of business one game at a time starting with Hampton.

Survive and advance!

OldPhiKap
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
We are where we set out to be: #1 seed. Duke plays the Pirates of Hampton Univ. (24-8), the MEAC champions. I haven't seen Hampton, but the Pirates have wins over Winthrop, Boston U., GW, and Colorado State. Their leading scorers are guards, 6-6 Darrion Pellum and 6-3 Kwame Morgan II. 6-8 Charles Funches grabs the rebounds (7.8), and Brandon Tunnell is the distributor (4.5 assists).

Given the lack of success of #16 seeds, I think the questions are mostly about Duke:

1. What about Kyrie? He seems eager to suit up but has not yet participated in 5-on-5 scrimmages.

2. Will the intensity be there for Duke? I always say "yes" and am usually right, because Duke's walkthroughs and shootarounds at the NCAAs are more intense than other teams' scrimmages. But the question remains.

3. Will the incredible supporting cast continue their hot streaks from the ACCs: Miles, Ryan, Seth, Andre and Mason? Who needs a #3 scorer?

4. Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?

It's great to be back at this time of the year --

sagegrouse

I love the emphasis in the ACC Tourney of driving and getting the ball inside early. Take it to them. I don't think it is a coincidence that we had a great outside shooting game (9-20) today after just attacking in the paint and on the boards for the first quarter of the game.

HateCarolina
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know the starting time of the game? I am trying to make sure I work out my schedule at work. I took off both Thursday and Friday to enjoy the games, but a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.

fisheyes
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know the starting time of the game? I am trying to make sure I work out my schedule at work. I took off both Thursday and Friday to enjoy the games, but a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.

The game times have not been announced except for the "First Four". Here's the website to keep an eye on for updates:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules

ns7
03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
The game times have not been announced except for the "First Four". Here's the website to keep an eye on for updates:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules

Well, according to CBS' twitter we will be the second afternoon game. (around 3pm?>)

CBSSports CBS Sports
Friday Nantz-Kellogg on truTV- 12:40 Michigan-Tennessee, then Duke-Hampton. #onCBS UNC-Long Island, then Washington-Gonzaga

weezie
03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere yet but the IDs sent a mass email telling anyone not in Group 1 to go the Ticketmaster route.
Just did but tix are 2nd level not that great but whatevs, went ahead and bought them.

weezie
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
...a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.

I had a hole fan (fake friend) txt me to go soak my head when Duke jumped out to their delicious lead in 1st half today. The nerve! :D

simmias
03-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Should be a nice home game atmosphere for Hampton.

gofurman
03-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, according to CBS' twitter we will be the second afternoon game. (around 3pm?>)

CBSSports CBS Sports
Friday Nantz-Kellogg on truTV- 12:40 Michigan-Tennessee, then Duke-Hampton. #onCBS UNC-Long Island, then Washington-Gonzaga

is our gam on tv for sure?

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
is our gam on tv for sure?

All the games are on TV this year and there is alway march madness on demand.

devildeac
03-13-2011, 10:56 PM

CBSSports CBS Sports

Looks like this is correct/confirmed:

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basketball2010/NCAATournament.aspx

sporthenry
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Well I believe you get tickets to 2 different sessions. So maybe Duke lucks out a bit and UNC fans stay in work for the Friday session and show up for them at 7. I think that is better than UNC being @ 3 and Duke being the next game.
Although I guess it doesn't really matter much since it is Hampton. Anybody a veteran of these tournaments and know if the other team's fans are more likely to show up for the game before theirs or stay for the one after. I seem to remember the Gboro Coliseum seemed to clear out after UNC games in the past

dukelilsis
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I, for one, am super excited that my husband (who I thought didn't "get" my addiction) surprised me by ordering the ticket package for the games in Charlotte. This will be my first trip to a live NCAA tournament session. I'll be the one screaming her head off in the upperdeck. And, yes, I'll be doing a massive 9f during the tarhole game.

1 24 90
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Maybe Nantz & Kellogg can broadcast us to another 6 tourney wins in a row!

Although I doubt they'd be in Anaheim.

mr shadow 008
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Can somebody give me the link for tickets? I'm looking on ticketmaster but cannot find them. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me the link. Thanks.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Looks like this is correct/confirmed:

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basketball2010/NCAATournament.aspx
On TWC in the Triangle, TruTV HD is channel 1313 (313 for those of you who don't have HD cable boxes).

Kedsy
03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?

Yes, he will keep taking them. His shots today were all on line (except one IIRC) and just a teensy bit short. He's zeroing in on it.

dukee94
03-14-2011, 12:57 AM
On TWC in the Triangle, TruTV HD is channel 1313 (313 for those of you who don't have HD cable boxes).

And for people with DirecTV, TruTV HD just appeared on channel 246-1, just for the NCAA tournament. You can see the first round tip times at: http://eye-on-collegebasketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/27895606. We are listed as 3:10pm (Eastern) on TruTV (afternoon session). Carolina is in the evening session (7:10pm).

HorvathsGhost
03-14-2011, 02:14 AM

I think there is a very high chance that our Sunday game will be early. As I understand the schedule, CBS will show 3 games, from noon-7pm, and then the remaining 5 games will be on cable in the evening.

I presume that those first two games (noon and 2:30pm) would have to be from the same region given how ticketing works, and of the four Friday/Sunday regions (Charlotte, Cleveland, Chicago, Tulsa), ours seems like it would definitely garner the best TV ratings.

Zeus12888
03-14-2011, 02:50 AM
TruTV? Yuck...Duke's Cable Package doesn't have that...here's to hoping they will get it

stillcrazie
03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.trutv.com/ncaa/schedule.html

Does anyone know if there is a charge to watch these games online?

MChambers
03-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Good thing our coach is not Matt Doherty. As I recall, his team struggled against Hampton. (Matt Doherty will always be my favorite UNC coach.)

Curt
03-14-2011, 10:52 AM
good thing our coach is not matt doherty. As i recall, his team struggled against hampton. (matt doherty will always be my favorite unc coach.)

i like the one they have now. Fun to shatter his hopes and dreams.

DMV2434
03-14-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.trutv.com/ncaa/schedule.html

Does anyone know if there is a charge to watch these games online?

All games can be viewed here (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2010-12-19/ncaa-march-madness-demand)

devildeac
03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Good thing our coach is not Matt Doherty. As I recall, his team struggled against Hampton. (Matt Doherty will always be my favorite UNC coach.)

i like the one they have now. Fun to shatter his hopes and dreams.

I kinda prefer D'oh also. 8-20 has a nice ring to it;).

Back to Duke. I just want to see our guys focused and playing with intensity and take care of business Friday afternoon.

-jk
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
So a quick look at the Hampton Pirates (http://www.hamptonpirates.com/custompages/mbball/2010/Stats/teamcume.htm) site shows:

They have 9 players averaging 9 or more minutes a game, and 3 with more than 30 mpg and scoring in double digits. They have a shot blocker, Agbelese, averaging three blocks a game. Their real strength as a team: they steal the ball 7 times a game (KenPom says they're top 10 in steals) and their opponents average 16 turnovers a game.

So, if we take care of the ball, we should take care of business. (I always have nightmares of Mississippi Valley St about this time of year.)

-jk

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
So, if we take care of the ball, we should take care of business. (I always have nightmares of Mississippi Valley St about this time of year.)

-jk

Ditto. I like how focused we were this week, and have to think it will carry through. K's learned a trick or two since then.

(But, yeah.)

-jk
03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Ditto. I like how focused we were this week, and have to think it will carry through. K's learned a trick or two since then.

(But, yeah.)

I still have nightmares of Belmont, if you want a more recent (if not quite so extreme 2/15) one!

-jk

OldPhiKap
03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I still have nightmares of Belmont, if you want a more recent (if not quite so extreme 2/15) one!

-jk

To be honest, no. I don't want one.

(But true again.)

You cannot take anything for granted at this stage.

Go Devils, stay healthy, beat the Pirates!!!!!

Lid
03-14-2011, 12:08 PM
The Duke women actually played Hampton in the first round last year, and hopefully this game will be a nice repeat of the women's strong win last year.

The Hampton band and cheerleaders/dancers were very entertaining. (As in, I almost covered my youngest kid's eyes a few times, they were so entertaining.) They play a version of the ESPN theme song that's significantly jazzed up, and during the "Duh duh duh... duh duh duh" part at the end, the students all sang, "You don't want... none of us!" We've been singing that in my house all year, so I'm glad we'll get to hear it again.

Bring on the Pirates! Survive and advance!

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 12:26 PM
The Kenpom profile for Hamptom suggests that the Pirates (A) can't shoot at all [horrible 3P, 2P, and FT percentages] and (B) can't rebound at all [horrible DR and OR percentages]

Basically, Hampton is a team that's small but also doesn't have the shooters to spread Duke out and cause headaches that way. It's really a "best of both worlds" situation for Duke.

Hampton's a great matchup. If you want to be just a little bit more thrilled with yesterday's ACC championship, know that Long Island (UNC's opponent) is a much better team than Hampton.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Verizon FiOS is adding TruTV HD this week.

truTV HD is already available to FiOS TV customers in Texas, Florida, California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, downstate New York and the Philadelphia area. More FiOS TV customers will see the channel appear on their lineup tomorrow, and everyone will have it by Wednesday. You can find the new HD channel on 683, as well as 183 in SD

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/Verizon-Adds-truTV-HD-to-FiOS-TV-Lineup/ba-p/291901

throatybeard
03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Hampton is a good basketball program...

...for Carolina to lose to (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2001/11/16/hampton-77-north-carolina-69).

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM

-jk

Wow. That is a game I had erased from memory. One thing I remember about that game was it was shown on ESPN and they kept cutting away during the game even though the #1 team in the country had their hands full. Still my favorite Duke team of all time.

DukieInBrasil
03-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Hampton is a good basketball program...

...for Carolina to lose to (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2001/11/16/hampton-77-north-carolina-69).

nice dig. Making fun of UNC is always on topic.

gofurman
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
And for people with DirecTV, TruTV HD just appeared on channel 246-1, just for the NCAA tournament. You can see the first round tip times at: http://eye-on-collegebasketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/27895606. We are listed as 3:10pm (Eastern) on TruTV (afternoon session). Carolina is in the evening session (7:10pm).

any chance cbs picks up portions of our game or that local tv does?

wilson
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
any chance cbs picks up portions of our game or that local tv does?Doubtful. This year's new TV package is specifically designed to spread all the games across four networks, so that none are ever interrupted. If you don't have cable or don't get Tru TV, you can get every game online for free at CBS March Madness On Demand, here (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2010-12-19/ncaa-march-madness-demand).

gofurman
03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Doubtful. This year's new TV package is specifically designed to spread all the games across four networks, so that none are ever interrupted. If you don't have cable or don't get Tru TV, you can get every game online for free at CBS March Madness On Demand, here (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2010-12-19/ncaa-march-madness-demand).

I am in greenville, sc with charter cable - anyone near here or know if charter will have it? obviously I get cbs and tnt and turner... but truTV? I have never even heard of that...

Or is something everyone should have by thursday so the goal is you can indeed see all games in their entirety? - esp in a decent sporstsbar

thx for the help here. (and I don't take ANY team lightly - not Hampton, not anyone)

wilson
03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I am in greenville, sc with charter cable - anyone near here or know if charter will have it? obviously I get cbs and tnt and turner... but truTV? I have never even heard of that...

Or is something everyone should have by thursday so the goal is you can indeed see all games in their entirety? - esp in a decent sporstsbar

thx for the help here. (and I don't take ANY team lightly - not Hampton, not anyone)I'm sure your cable operator will have Tru TV (which, incidentally, used to be Court TV...perhaps that's helpful in determining whether it's on your package). Not by coincidence is it popping up on many of your fellow DBRers' channel lists even as we speak. CBS is going to make sure that as many eyeballs as possible are glued to whichever game they want to watch for the next three weeks.

dukee94
03-14-2011, 09:52 PM

thx for the help here. (and I don't take ANY team lightly - not Hampton, not anyone)

Check out channel 47. I can't confirm it, but several online listings make it appear that Charter in Greenville has TruTV on channel 47. Also, keep on the lookout for it in HD. DirecTV just added TruTV for the tournament and my local cable company (Cox) has promised to add TruTV in HD by tournament time.

(Looking at http://www.charter.com/tv/channelguide using a zipcode of 29601, maybe completely incorrect for you, just a guess.)

TruBlu
03-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Well I believe you get tickets to 2 different sessions. So maybe Duke lucks out a bit and UNC fans stay in work for the Friday session and show up for them at 7. I think that is better than UNC being @ 3 and Duke being the next game.
Although I guess it doesn't really matter much since it is Hampton. Anybody a veteran of these tournaments and know if the other team's fans are more likely to show up for the game before theirs or stay for the one after. I seem to remember the Gboro Coliseum seemed to clear out after UNC games in the past

Actually, most Heels should be able to re-arrange their work schedule to be at the Duke game. I hear Walmart is fairly flexible in allowing shift changes.

weezie
03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Actually, most Heels should be able to re-arrange their work schedule to be at the Duke game. I hear Walmart is fairly flexible in allowing shift changes.

:D:D:D Zing.

Anyway, what's the best bbq place in Charlotte? We tried some TX based joint last ACC tourny and it was terrible. Anybody have any good recs?

Matches
03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
:D:D:D Zing.

Anyway, what's the best bbq place in Charlotte? We tried some TX based joint last ACC tourny and it was terrible. Anybody have any good recs?

Q-Shack. It's at the corner of Providence and Rea Rd., near South Charlotte.

I'm really bummed I will be out of town on Thursday - I work a block away from TWC Arena and could have walked over to the open practice.

Daniel tosh
03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Anyone know the practice times for the teams Thursday?

Neals384
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
rivals.com has a piece by Mike Huguenin on "Recipe for an Upset (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=mh-upsetrecipe031411)", that claims to highlight the ingredients teams need to achieve a first round upset.

He mentions Hampton's pressure D "37.9 field-goal percentage defense, 5.8 blocks per game, force 15.8 turnovers per game" and leadership (all 5 starters are seniors or juniors).

Note that he is not actually predicting a Hampton victory...

DevilWearsPrada
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Great Question? I would like to know that also!!! Planning on going to Charlotte on Thursday!

I hope everyone from the Triangle Triad and all the way down to Charlotte, goes to the Friday session and Sunday session! We need to outnumber the Tarholes in the Arena in Charlotte! And do our cheers as loud as we did at the ACC tournament!!

Duke fans were great on Sunday. I think we were 20% (or less) of the fans. However, WE were loud and in unision! LETS GO DUKE and DEFENSE were the best cheers! Lets Duplicate that again this Weekend!

And as always,

GO DUKE!!!

monkey
03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I found this really good analysis of Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0). Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun ;)

JStuart
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM

And for those cheap folks in the Triangle, TW just had Tru-Tv show up on regular channel 44. Or at least, I never saw it there before.
Lets go, Duke!

Hampton00
03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
You know I've been reading all of the posts for you Duke fans and I have to say, it's been pretty respectful. I'm a Hampton Grad and I know what it's it's like to be the underdog, most of the time the Big Schools and their fans give us crap, but you guys are pretty cool. Love reading it. I will say this Look up 2001 Hampton vs Iowa State First round :o

Good Luck!

Bluedevil114
03-16-2011, 10:06 PM

Duke is 215 to 255

UNC is after that around 4PM

Bluedevil114
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
You know I've been reading all of the posts for you Duke fans and I have to say, it's been pretty respectful. I'm a Hampton Grad and I know what it's it's like to be the underdog, most of the time the Big Schools and their fans give us crap, but you guys are pretty cool. Love reading it. I will say this Look up 2001 Hampton vs Iowa State First round :o

Good Luck!

Good thing you guys are not playing UNC because if you went on their boards you would be disgusted and have to take three showers to rid yourself of the filth. Good Luck!!

MChambers
03-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Good Luck!
Or 2001 Hampton vs. UNC, November 16. Welcome to the board. We respect Hampton.

Nrrrrvous
03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I found this really good analysis of Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0). Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun ;)

He has been banned for posting this:D

wilson
03-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Good Luck!Welcome. Thanks for the compliments, and good luck on Friday.
And don't worry...we love reliving the 2001 NCAA Tournament around here.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Good Luck!

Thanks, welcome, and hope you join the conversations in the future!

Spend a fair amount of time in Hampton -- should be great weather there this weekend, I think.

Congrats on a great season, and I hope whoever wins our game goes on to win the NC!

-bdbd
03-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Good Luck!

First off, welcome to the site. Always enjoyable to see the view from the opponent's sideline. Can you add anything to the conversation about Hampton? Can you tell us a little about your school in general? For those of us who don't watch Hampton regularly, what can you tell us about their BB style of play, strengths/weaknesses, key players, etc. How do you expect the game to go?

One nugget for you is that you'll be stunned to see how many Hampton fans suddenly spring up at the Coliseum tomorrow, most of them wearing faded (Carolina) blue. Especially with this game being in Charlotte. We had an unpleasant experience there about four-five years ago, where NC@CH was playing in Charlotte in the game immediately before/after ours. So we ended up playing in front of about 16K+ very hostile and loud opposing fans, and almost lost to a significantly lower-seeded opponent in round-2, I believe. We are thinking it won't be as bad this time, especially b/c most of the Charlotte tix were gone by the time NC@CH had their late-season surge to earn a high seed and birth near home in Charlotte. But make no mistake, you WILL be supported.

As fo anaylysis: I do think the team looks very focused for this one, as Coach-K teams generally are. I have been giving some thought to those lower-seeded upsets and near-upsets of Duke in previous years, and simply don't see much if any similarity to this year. The WVU loss three years ago in DC was with a Duke team that was collectively very sick. The VCU buzzer-beater loss in Buffalo about 4-5 years ago was to a team that was a perfect match against us, and with a star player who we couldn't match up against (especially given our injurues). The Belmont game I think involved several injured Duke players too. In all of those cases we did not enter the NCAA's with much momentum.

This year we are the opposite of "injury drained" - a key player has just returned from injury. We have momentum. And we have ooodles of confidence. This really is exactly how you wish to enter the NCAAT.

All that said, I take nothing for granted. But if we're lucky enough to survive versus Hampton, then I really want to get Jalen Rose's old school in the second round... :rolleyes:

SupaDave
03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
First off, welcome to the site. Always enjoyable to see the view from the opponent's sideline. Can you add anything to the conversation about Hampton? Can you tell us a little about your school in general? For those of us who don't watch Hampton regularly, what can you tell us about their BB style of play, strengths/weaknesses, key players, etc. How do you expect the game to go?

One nugget for you is that you'll be stunned to see how many Hampton fans suddenly spring up at the Coliseum tomorrow, most of them wearing faded (Carolina) blue. Especially with this game being in Charlotte. We had an unpleasant experience there about four-five years ago, where NC@CH was playing in Charlotte in the game immediately before/after ours. So we ended up playing in front of about 16K+ very hostile and loud opposing fans, and almost lost to a significantly lower-seeded opponent in round-2, I believe. We are thinking it won't be as bad this time, especially b/c most of the Charlotte tix were gone by the time NC@CH had their late-season surge to earn a high seed and birth near home in Charlotte. But make no mistake, you WILL be supported.

As fo anaylysis: I do think the team looks very focused for this one, as Coach-K teams generally are. I have been giving some thought to those lower-seeded upsets and near-upsets of Duke in previous years, and simply don't see much if any similarity to this year. The WVU loss three years ago in DC was with a Duke team that was collectively very sick. The VCU buzzer-beater loss in Buffalo about 4-5 years ago was to a team that was a perfect match against us, and with a star player who we couldn't match up against (especially given our injurues). The Belmont game I think involved several injured Duke players too. In all of those cases we did not enter the NCAA's with much momentum.

This year we are the opposite of "injury drained" - a key player has just returned from injury. We have momentum. And we have ooodles of confidence. This really is exactly how you wish to enter the NCAAT.

All that said, I take nothing for granted. But if we're lucky enough to survive versus Hampton, then I really want to get Jalen Rose's old school in the second round... :rolleyes:

As an N.C. A&T Aggie I can tell you that the MEAC has been quite competitive in its tourney stints over the years.

I was a freshmen I believe the year the Aggies took Arkansas to the wire in the first round - the same year they won it ALL.

For a little more background, check out this article...

http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=205118132

Reilly
03-17-2011, 09:31 PM

So if Kyrie gets in the game, the other guys on the bench who have been sitting in a certain order will then have make their mind up: which seat do they take.

mgtr
03-17-2011, 09:43 PM
So if Kyrie gets in the game, the other guys on the bench who have been sitting in a certain order will then have make their mind up: which seat do they take.

I hope this is the most serious problem our team faces tomorrow!:)

Hampton00
03-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, I have to say I have been a bit anxious since hearing about Hampton entering the dance on Sunday. Funny enough it was announced during our NYC Alumni Chapter meeting and are taking this very seriously. It's been 11 years since I was a student at Hampton and many things have changed (for the better). Of particular note is the basketball (24-8) team, Coach Joyner is in his 2nd year and has done quite well. Now I will say this, I am very optimistic and hopeful, but at the same time a firm believer in reality. This game is a long shot and would not be too disappointed if Duke one, but we have a very strong team this year people to look for would be Darrion Pellum and Kwame Morgan. Plus we have two "Aircraft Carriers" of our own to match Kelly and Plumlee.

A little about Hampton:

Hampton University is a historically Black university located in Hampton, Virginia, United States. It was founded by black and white leaders of the American Missionary Association after the American Civil War to provide education to freedmen.

Athletics
In 1995, Hampton joined the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, commonly referred to as the MEAC. Since joining, Hampton has won dozens of MEAC titles in football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's track, and men's and women's tennis. In March 2001, the men's basketball team made NCAA Tournament history, becoming only the fourth 15th-seeded team to defeat a 2nd-seeded team. Hampton defeated Iowa State, 58–57 on March 15, but lost to Georgetown two days later. The win still makes SportsCenter's Top 10 NCAA tournament upsets.

hurley1
03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I have to say I have been a bit anxious since hearing about Hampton entering the dance on Sunday. Funny enough it was announced during our NYC Alumni Chapter meeting and are taking this very seriously. It's been 11 years since I was a student at Hampton and many things have changed (for the better). Of particular note is the basketball (24-8) team, Coach Joyner is in his 2nd year and has done quite well. Now I will say this, I am very optimistic and hopeful, but at the same time a firm believer in reality. This game is a long shot and would not be too disappointed if Duke one, but we have a very strong team this year people to look for would be Darrion Pellum and Kwame Morgan. Plus we have two "Aircraft Carriers" of our own to match Kelly and Plumlee.

A little about Hampton:

Hampton University is a historically Black university located in Hampton, Virginia, United States. It was founded by black and white leaders of the American Missionary Association after the American Civil War to provide education to freedmen.

Athletics
In 1995, Hampton joined the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, commonly referred to as the MEAC. Since joining, Hampton has won dozens of MEAC titles in football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's track, and men's and women's tennis. In March 2001, the men's basketball team made NCAA Tournament history, becoming only the fourth 15th-seeded team to defeat a 2nd-seeded team. Hampton defeated Iowa State, 58–57 on March 15, but lost to Georgetown two days later. The win still makes SportsCenter's Top 10 NCAA tournament upsets.

Thanks for the info on Hampton......very interesting.......Duke is taking Hampton very seriously.....i have seen several reports that you guys are very good.....good luck......i am sure it will be a great game......stick around here after it is over, regardless of who wins.....

thenameisbond
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I live in Hampton. I haven't followed this team closely, but I do know that it is the best unit they've had since the Steve Merfeld days. Taking them for granted would be a mistake, but I don't expect Coach K to let that happen.

Bluedog
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Looks like the Hampton coach grew up as a Duke fan:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/18/2150488/hampton-coach-wrote-his-script.html#ixzz1Gxa3w4o7

He also said before the conference tournament: "You know what would be a great story? We would go to Winston, with everybody (there) and win the (MEAC) tournament. Then we'll get the (NCAA) pick, go to Charlotte and we'll play Duke [...] I guess you've got to be careful what you ask for."

The HC Joyner was an assistant when they took out #2 Iowa State as a #15 seed.

diveonthefloor
03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
If I read one more post from a DBR member/Duke fan, steam will start coming out of my ears.....

This game is not a gimme! Yeah, on paper it should be hard for Hampton to pull this out, but if we play like we did against UNC two weeks ago, and Hampton has a good day, we will be out before Kyrie even gets accustomed to being back.

DO NOT TAKE ANY TEAM LIGHTLY!!!

Thanks, that is all.

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Does 3:00pm seem to be taking a LOOOOOONG time to get here for anyone else?

Bluedog
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
The HC Joyner was an assistant when they took out #2 Iowa State as a #15 seed.

Sorry, I made a mistake. He was not an assistant at Hampton during the upset. He was at JC Smith at the time. Apparently, my reading comprehension needs to be improved. Thanks to Reilly for pointing it out.

-bdbd
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
If I read one more post from a DBR member/Duke fan, steam will start coming out of my ears.....

This game is not a gimme! Yeah, on paper it should be hard for Hampton to pull this out, but if we play like we did against UNC two weeks ago, and Hampton has a good day, we will be out before Kyrie even gets accustomed to being back.

DO NOT TAKE ANY TEAM LIGHTLY!!!
Thanks, that is all.

Fans will be fans. But there's no way this K-coached team takes a quality opponent like Hampton lightly. Rest easy.

jaygdevil11
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Fans will be fans. But there's no way this K-coached team takes a quality opponent like Hampton lightly. Rest easy.

I agree. Let's goooooo! One game at a time!

moonpie23
03-18-2011, 02:53 PM
FOCUSED!!! take care of business..

I love this team.....

riverside6
03-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10205

devilsadvocate85
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Reminds me of my favorite line from "Remember The Titans" -- "Leave no doubt!" And there is no doubt that we are ready to play!

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Miles is controlling the paint - we've collected every one of our misses, and Hampton doesn't have a single rebound.

Also, seeing Kyrie check in - huge smile on my face. So happy to see him coming into a game again.

UrinalCake
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Miles dominating the o-boards early. Kyrie set to come in. Awww-yeah!

monkey
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Kyrie looks a bit like he's pressing too much so far. That will come. Still, what's with the weird beard thingy?

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Kyrie didn't do much in his 1st stint back on the court. Not a surprise. His toe/shoe insert to prevent toe damage is giving him an obvious hitch in his walk and running. He hasn't tried anything particularly athletic although he did have that attempted reverse under the rim, on which he didn't get enough lift to do anything effective. He'll be fine.

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Kyrie looks a bit like he's pressing too much so far. That will come. Still, what's with the weird beard thingy?

Definitely pressing. Hopefully he works it out this game. The team seems more composed with Nolan running the point. To be expected. Love the way our front court is looking. Kyle's 3 is unfortunately still MIA.

Chard
I think Mason asked Nolan about dinner plans while asking for the alley on that last one.

Namtilal
0-1, 1 to, 1 pf. Bench him!

Chard
03-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I really like how Dawkins is playing. Very active on the defensive end and aggressive on offense.

stillcrazie
03-18-2011, 03:57 PM
I really like how Dawkins is playing. Very active on the defensive end and aggressive on offense.

I agree - Dawkins and Miles are surprising me today.

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
I agree - Dawkins and Miles are surprising me today.
Perhaps they are remembering how awesome it feels to be National Champions and have decided to do everything they can to contribute to another one, on the court. Miles' play has been far superior since the ACCT started. Dawkins has also improved his play since the ACCT began, perhaps not as much as Miles, but still a marked improvement.

cbnaylor
03-18-2011, 04:07 PM
They have played really good team ball the first half. I'm hoping that we can jump out big during the first 5 to 10 min of the second half so that we can get Irving more comfortable as well as the rest of the team.

Son of Mojo
03-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Hmmm--Nantz just enlightened us all saying Chris Collins' career ended in Charlotte in '94............not the way I remember it.

Good half--Miles is playing like a beast and I like it when Dre is aggressive on both ends (that last foul looked like a clean block). Kyrie does have some rust but it's coming back, you can see it. Keep it going and build upon it!!

MChambers
03-18-2011, 04:09 PM
0-1, 1 to, 1 pf. Bench him!

-4 on the =/-. K definitely should shut him down for the rest of the season.

Seriously, he looks good physically, still amphibious with a great handle. It's great to see him back on the floor.

gwlaw99
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I liked Kyrie's aggresive drive to the basket. That type of 1 on 1 blow by is going to get our bigs some points when the defense collapses.

jdk
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Hmmm--Nantz just enlightened us all saying Chris Collins' career ended in Charlotte in '94............not the way I remember it.

Good half--Miles is playing like a beast and I like it when Dre is aggressive on both ends (that last foul looked like a clean block). Kyrie does have some rust but it's coming back, you can see it. Keep it going and build upon it!!

Yeah, I caught that. Collins played two more seasons, and that old arena has long since been demolished (along with Arkansas basketball).

diveonthefloor
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I for one am very happy with what I have seen from Kyrie so far. He is easing into a comfort level. Defense has been good. The stats will come.

Bob Green
03-18-2011, 04:13 PM
...Dre is aggressive on both ends (that last foul looked like a clean block).

I agree the block was clean. Dawkins elevated and blocked the ball without smashing his body into the offensive player.

wilson
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Rather herky jerky for the most part, but still a 17-point halftime lead. I like that, but I want to see some more kinks worked out in the second half, because the level of competition will drastically improve from here on out.
Unsurprisingly clear that parts of Kyrie's game will need to work off a bit of atrophy.
Solid enough so far, especially from Miles(!). Need to get the machine lubed a bit more though, if we want a serious deep run.

cspan37421
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Seriously, he looks good physically, still amphibious with a great handle.

Do you mean ambidextrous? I know Duke basketball is always in a fishbowl, but I didn't think the metaphor extended much beyond that.

bloop bloop bloop

jv001
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Kyrie didn't do much in his 1st stint back on the court. Not a surprise. His toe/shoe insert to prevent toe damage is giving him an obvious hitch in his walk and running. He hasn't tried anything particularly athletic although he did have that attempted reverse under the rim, on which he didn't get enough lift to do anything effective. He'll be fine.

I noticed that as well. I don't know if it's the shoe/insert or just he's favoring the toe/foot. Probably just a confidence thing. I believe playing in game situations make that go away. Go Duke!

Bob Green
03-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Do you mean ambidextrous? I know Duke basketball is always in a fishbowl, but I didn't think the metaphor extended much beyond that.

bloop bloop bloop

MChambers is channeling his inner Shackleford.

wilson
03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
[Kyrie] looks good physically, still amphibious with a great handle. It's great to see him back on the floor.

bloop bloop bloop*sigh* This is an age-old bit of sporting snark, courtesy of erstwhile NC State player Charles Shackleford. See #2:
http://community.comcast.net/t5/Russakoff-Rules/35-Dumbest-Sports-Quotes-Ever/ba-p/797059/message-uid/797059

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm a little worried because I thought I noticed Kyrie limping a little part of the time. I hope you guys didn't see it too and it's just me being overly paranoid. It looked like he was favoring one leg to me a few times. Anyone else notice?

jv001
03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
-4 on the =/-. K definitely should shut him down for the rest of the season.

Seriously, he looks good physically, still amphibious with a great handle. It's great to see him back on the floor.

Yes that rebab was certainly productive. Kyrie can now cross over under water, lol. GoDuke!

CLW
03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Andre and Miles looked really good. Thought they spread the ball around nicely.

Kyrie looked a little rusty/nervous in his first few minutes of action. Just a matter of time.

The Tru TV people at the half said Kyrie was noticeably limping. I didnt see anything other than when he skinned his leg/knee

DallasDevil
03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm glad Charles Barkley isn't our coach, because I think it is important for Kyrie to get on the floor in this game and work some of the rust off. Hopefully he'll be able to loosen up a bit in the second half and build some more confidence.

On another note, I'm really liking what we've seen from Miles, Mason, and Andre the past week. It looks like the team as a whole is peaking at the right time.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Let's hope he doesn't have an inner Washburn to go with it!!!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm glad Charles Barkley isn't our coach, because I think it is important for Kyrie to get on the floor in this game and work some of the rust off. Hopefully he'll be able to loosen up a bit in the second half and build some more confidence.

On another note, I'm really liking what we've seen from Miles, Mason, and Andre the past week. It looks like the team as a whole is peaking at the right time.

But he'd be a Great ENT.

_Gary
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't think Kyrie was "limping" or anything like that in terms of his toe hurting. Firstly, he's always had a hitch, if you would, even when healthy. Secondly, I believe he's just shaking the rust off and being a little more cautious than he normally would be. And that in and of itself is very natural for a person coming off a prolonged injury. I believe he'll be fine.

duke79
03-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm bored already with this game. When is the next game?

MChambers
03-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Bob is right, as usual:

http://jaspry.blogspot.com/2008/06/to-quote-charles-shacklerford-hes.html

_Gary
03-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Wish I could say you'll be bored with the next game on Sunday as well, but I doubt it. So enjoy these while you can. It starts getting much tougher after this.

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
is that a hint of a Zoubeard on Miles?

4decadedukie
03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Quick alert, if you have not seen it: George Mason just upset Villanova. Sorry to be off Duke - Hampton topic.

MChambers
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM

I think Duke is playing very well and I'm anything but bored. And each time Kyrie comes in I get a bigger smile.

wilson
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Quick alert, if you have not seen it: George Mason just upset Villanova. Sorry to be off Duke - Hampton topic.8-9 games don't really ever qualify as "upsets," but it was a hell of a finish. I actually switched over to watch the last 2 minutes.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Go Memphis!

MChambers
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Go Memphis!
Doesn't a Memphis victory mean it's more likely that Texas will be in the Sweet Sixteen?

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Doesn't a Memphis victory mean it's more likely that Texas will be in the Sweet Sixteen?

I don't want AZ in Cali.

_Gary
03-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Personally I'd say yes it does. Arizona is more equipped to take on Texas than Memphis is, IMHO.

wilson
03-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't want AZ in Cali.I'd definitely rather play Arizona than Texas.

Spret42
03-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Yuu could watch FSU and Texas A&M. They are currently beating the game of basketball to death with crowbars and police batons.

fan345678
03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think Kyrie was "limping" or anything like that in terms of his toe hurting. Firstly, he's always had a hitch, if you would, even when healthy. Secondly, I believe he's just shaking the rust off and being a little more cautious than he normally would be. And that in and of itself is very natural for a person coming off a prolonged injury. I believe he'll be fine.

The shank in his shoe is probably forcing him to walk a bit awkwardly, since his sole can't flex the way a normal basketball shoe's sole would.

gcashwell
03-18-2011, 05:16 PM
KI with 8 pts and 2 steals in a 2.5 minute stretch.

He's a pretty good basketball player.