PDA

View Full Version : Discussion thread: Southwest (San Antonio) bracket

JasonEvans
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Please put all comments on the Southwest/San Antonio bracket in this thread. A poll will be posted asking who you think will win the West after the brackets are announced.

-Jason

Chris Randolph
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Cakewalk for Kansas. Wow. And I live in KS, this is going to be brutal

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Why exactly is VCU in the field?

MarkD83
03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Why exactly is VCU in the field?

So that VT isn't.

Chris Randolph
03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Notre Dame too one dimensional, not a championship team.

Purdue not playing its best ball right now.

Georgetown getting back its point guard, but struggling.

How does KU not make the final 4 with this draw? Wow, just wow

MarkD83
Cakewalk for Kansas. Wow. And I live in KS, this is going to be brutal

Don't worry KU will find a way to lose before the regional finals.

Chitowndevil
Wow, Kansas's draw is like ours last season. Sorry Mike Brey, but I don't think there's a team in this region that can play with them. Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...

1 24 90
So that VT isn't.

Looks like only 4 bids for the ACC. The Big Ten teams are very highly seeded.

pfrduke
So that VT isn't.

It almost looks like a typo - they meant to write Virginia Tech, but wrote Virginia Commonwealth.

But seriously - VCU is a really, really odd pick.

TNDukeFan
03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...

lol - nice reference!

ChrisP
03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I disagree that this is a cakewalk (unlike Pitt's potential road to Houston). ND, Purdue and L'ville are all really good teams. Could be harder than a lot of people around here seem to think.

SMO
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
A 10 champ Richmond as a 12! Vandy can't be happy with that.

JasonEvans
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
A poll has been added to this thread.

As an aside, I think this is a reasonably tough bracket. It is hard not to think that some of these BEast teams aren't worthwhile. In ND, GTown, and 'Ville this bracket has three of the BEast teams I fear the most.

-Jason "Purdue is all about being tough... and teams like that are not easy to play" Evans

COYS
03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
A 10 champ Richmond as a 12! Vandy can't be happy with that.

It's tradition for Vandy to lose in the first round . . . painfully. I guess the selection committee likes their traditions (leaving VaTech out, ensuring Vandy is one of the obvious 4-13, 5-12, 6-11 upset choices). Personally, I like Vandy, as they are the local team here in Nashville and I have some ties to the school and wouldn't mind seeing them put together some magic in the tourney, but I just don't see it happening this year . . . yet again.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-14-2011, 01:26 AM
I voted Kansas! And I agree with the other poster who said this brackett is tougher than every body is saying. IMO this is by far the toughest brackett

AZLA
03-14-2011, 04:13 AM
I have no sound argument for Kansas not advancing to the Final Four, other than, whenever I need and pick a Number 1 seed to lose in a major upset -- Jayhawks always comes through.

That and they got some serious Big East hurdles in their way.

ice-9
03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
I agree that this is the toughest bracket. I have Notre Dame advancing to the Final Four -- they have a lot of experienced talent, and as we all know from last year, experienced talent wins in a tournament of unfamiliar foes.

superdave
03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree that this is the toughest bracket. I have Notre Dame advancing to the Final Four -- they have a lot of experienced talent, and as we all know from last year, experienced talent wins in a tournament of unfamiliar foes.

Notre Dame starts 5 seniors and Ben Hansborough is 23 years old. They wont fold in a big game and they wont choke in a big moment. That's not to say they wont shoot their way into an early exit, but I think ND deserves a loooong look. Their offensive efficiency is good but they are not very athletic (duh!).

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow, Kansas's draw is like ours last season. Sorry Mike Brey, but I don't think there's a team in this region that can play with them. Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...

I disagree with you on both counts.

Last year, Duke's draw was tough. Check out the Kenpom rankings from last season (http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2010 ). Baylor was the #6 overall team (a tough Elite 8 draw). Purdue was the #16 team (a fair Sweet 16 draw). And Cal was the #15 team (a VERY tough second round draw). Duke ran the gauntlet to make it to the Final Four.

And this year, Kansas' possible path of Illinois ---> Louisville ---> Notre Dame is very, very tough. Bill Self is not happy with this bracket. That's an emotional second-round game against his former team the Illini, who is very experienced and talented. Then Pitino's Cards and then the offensively-loaded Irish? Wow, that is rough, imo

I would like to hear our resident Jayhawk fan chime in on this. I believe his username is crimson_and_blue or something similar. He's one of the best non-Duke fan posters on DBR.

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
BTW, no offense to crimsonandblue, but I will be rooting passionately for Notre Dame.

Brey is clearly the crown jewel of Coach K proteges. (At least so far; we will see if JD can turn around Stanford). And this is Brey's best chance to reach a final four.

Notre Dame is offensively loaded and starts 5 seniors. They play beautiful motion offense, have shooters galore, have a great leader and clutch player (unfortunately, a Hansbrough, but still), and have versatile players that can switch and guard different positions.

If ND wins a national championship, it'll be almost like Duke winning a national championship. They're our sister school and we should support them. The dream is to have Duke and ND playing on Monday Night.

MChambers
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Notre Dame starts 5 seniors and Ben Hansborough is 23 years old. They wont fold in a big game and they wont choke in a big moment. That's not to say they wont shoot their way into an early exit, but I think ND deserves a loooong look. Their offensive efficiency is good but they are not very athletic (duh!).
Didn't know Ben was 10 years younger than Tyler. :)

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
The dream is to have Duke and ND playing on Monday Night.

Oh, man. Just filled out my bracket with a Duke-ND title game (Duke winning, of course) and I'm getting pumped just thinking about this awesome scenario. It'd be pretty sweet to have two days of leadup to the title game with tons of media coverage of the mentor vs protege story.

A quick word about coaching trees. Obviously, Coach K is not going to have as successful a tree as Dean Smith. So much of what makes Coach K successful is tied up in things that he can't transfer to other people. His personality, his mastery of psychology and ability to read team dynamics and individual emotional swings. Coach K is a natural born leader and Dean was a mathematician (literally a math major at Kansas) with a technically proficient mind who devised an incredible basketball system that he could teach others how to use. (And I'm not saying Coach K isn't technically proficient and Dean wasn't a leader; obviously they were both well-rounded but I think there is a core difference). Dean's tree includes Roy who has won 2 NCs, Larry Brown who won an NC and NBA championship, and even Gut who made a Final Four.

Still, it would be pretty sweet for Coach K to have one protege in Brey make it to the Final Four. It would give Coach K a leg up on Roy in the tree department; afterall, being only 4 years apart in age, Coach K and Roy are actually peers whereas Dean's peer was really Coach Robert Montgomery Knight. And if Brey makes a Final Four, then all of a sudden Coach Knight's tree goes 3 levels deep with Final Fours while Dean's tree only goes 2 levels deep (unless you count Self, but he only spent 1 year as a grad assistant under Larry Brown compared to 8 years as an assistant at Okie St under Sutton and Hamilton). RMK ---> Coach K ---> Brey would be a pretty meaningful lineage. All coach motion offense and emphasize player versatility.

superdave
03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
I have viewed OSU, Duke, Kansas as the top 3 teams for a while now. I think there's enough seperation between them and the next tier that I had a hard time picking against Kansas in spite of the fact that I dont fully trust Bill Self. Pitt is the most likely #1 seed to miss the Final Four, Kansas is next. But they should get there.

The game I struggled with picking the most here is Purdue-Notre Dame in the Sweet 16. Both work hard, are well coached and have hit some nice high notes on the season. I wound up picking Purdue because Notre Dame struggles against better athletes and could go cold from 3.

My upsets are virtually non-existent in this bracket. Hope I dont get wiped out in this region.

gw67
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM

I like Kansas and the Irish and your point is a good one IMO. FYI, the Devils have the same advantage. Singler is 22 and will be 23 in May; Smith is 22 and will be 23 in July; Miles Plumlee is 22 and will be 23 in September; Mason Plumlee is 20 and will be 21 in May; and Curry is 20 and will be 21 in August. I suspect that all five are old for their class at Duke. Years ago when I coached youth baseball, I always loved having the youngsters whose birthdays were late in the summer on the league all star teams.

gw67

superdave
03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I like Kansas and the Irish and your point is a good one IMO. FYI, the Devils have the same advantage. Singler is 22 and will be 23 in May; Smith is 22 and will be 23 in July; Miles Plumlee is 22 and will be 23 in September; Mason Plumlee is 20 and will be 21 in May; and Curry is 20 and will be 21 in August. I suspect that all five are old for their class at Duke. Years ago when I coached youth baseball, I always loved having the youngsters whose birthdays were late in the summer on the league all star teams.

gw67

At the end of the day, I had to pick Purdue over ND. I felt like the athleticism gap was large and was a little worried that ND could not win the Big East after Pitt lost. Old age be darned...

gw67
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I like Purdue as well and admire their coach for his coaching the last two years without Hummell. They are not as old as Notre Dame or Duke but they have an experienced starting five.

gw67

MChambers
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I like Purdue as well and admire their coach for his coaching the last two years without Hummell. They are not as old as Notre Dame or Duke but they have an experienced starting five.

gw67

Purdue is now down a player, as Kelsey Barlow has been suspended for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6221863

Tough break for the team.

TexHawk
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I have no sound argument for Kansas not advancing to the Final Four, other than, whenever I need and pick a Number 1 seed to lose in a major upset -- Jayhawks always comes through.
Seriously? You wouldn't pick, I don't know, Pitt? With good teams year in/out, they have made it past the Sweet 16 exactly one time in their history.

KU obviously deserves the criticism, with UNI last year plus the Roy faceplants, but they have now been a #1 seed 4 times under Bill Self. The previous three: E8, F4 (champ), 2nd round.

TexHawk
03-16-2011, 02:29 PM
And this year, Kansas' possible path of Illinois ---> Louisville ---> Notre Dame is very, very tough. Bill Self is not happy with this bracket. That's an emotional second-round game against his former team the Illini, who is very experienced and talented. Then Pitino's Cards and then the offensively-loaded Irish? Wow, that is rough, imo.
Look, as a KU fan, Illinois scares the crap out of me too. Not sure Bill would enjoy that one. Would much rather have Tennessee.

But, I have to quibble with the bolded statement above. Your "very experienced" Illini are 19-13 this season. The last 3 years: NIT, first-round flameout, no tourney at all (not even NIT). Not sure they qualify as "experienced".

Troublemaker
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Look, as a KU fan, Illinois scares the crap out of me too. Not sure Bill would enjoy that one. Would much rather have Tennessee.

But, I have to quibble with the bolded statement above. Your "very experienced" Illini are 19-13 this season. The last 3 years: NIT, first-round flameout, no tourney at all (not even NIT). Not sure they qualify as "experienced".

I meant experienced as in senior leadership. McCamey, Davis, and Tisdale are seniors and often, it's not an enjoyable experience trying to knockout seniors that don't want their career to end.

superdave
03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Purdue is now down a player, as Kelsey Barlow has been suspended for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6221863

Tough break for the team.

Hmmmm 5 points 3 boards a game. How big is that? Maybe not a game changer, but he's allegedly a good perimeter defender so that could really hurt in a Sweet 16 matchup with the Irish.

MChambers
03-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Hmmmm 5 points 3 boards a game. How big is that? Maybe not a game changer, but he's allegedly a good perimeter defender so that could really hurt in a Sweet 16 matchup with the Irish.

He's supposedly Purdue's best defender, although he's only played about 48% of Purdue's minutes (maybe he's had injuries?). Purdue doesn't have much size, and he's 6'5", so this makes them even smaller.

hurley1
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
10 - 0 ...6 minutes into the game......

loran16
03-17-2011, 02:03 PM
You said it yourself: 6 minutes in. Clemson was up 10 15 minutes in. Please please don't overreact so quickly.

BlueDevilBaby
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh, man. Just filled out my bracket with a Duke-ND title game (Duke winning, of course) and I'm getting pumped just thinking about this awesome scenario.

Glad I am not the only one. Here's to you and me and the writer from the Baltimore Sun.

juise
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Gutsy shot by Demonte Harper. Wreaking havoc on my brackets, but I will shed no tears.

Later, Rick.

pfrduke
03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Down goes the 'Ville.

superdave
03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Down goes the 'Ville.

Down goes my first Sweet 16 team. Not that I mind....Pitino looked angry.

kmspeaks
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
If that same play occurs with 4 minutes left in the game is it a foul?

wilson
03-17-2011, 04:07 PM
If that same play occurs with 4 minutes left in the game is it a foul?I don't think that was a foul during any of the game's 40 minutes. What contact there was (which was minimal) was initiated by the shooter. Faried got all ball on the block.

kmspeaks
03-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think that was a foul during any of the game's 40 minutes. What contact there was (which was minimal) was initiated by the shooter. Faried got all ball on the block.

I only got to see one replay but I thought Faried might have hit Marra's left arm on the way up. Just figured I'd ask what other folks saw, not a foul or not a foul because of the time left on the clock? The swallow the whistle/let them play philosophy is a major pet peeve of mine.

ice-9
03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
So much for Kansas' difficult Sweet 16 match up -- they will get either Morehead or Richmond those lucky Jayhawks.

Let's go Oakland! Memphis!

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
So much for Kansas' difficult Sweet 16 match up -- they will get either Morehead or Richmond those lucky Jayhawks.

I want to kick something. That's Vandy's 3rd 1st round loss in a row. Siena, Murray St, and now Richmond. If only there was a holiday today to make it socially acceptable to drown my sorrows.

SMO
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I want to kick something. That's Vandy's 3rd 1st round loss in a row. Siena, Murray St, and now Richmond. If only there was a holiday today to make it socially acceptable to drown my sorrows.

If Vandy's 5 seed was fair, then they got a very unfavorable 12 seed to match up against. Vandy was only a 3 point favorite against a vintage giant killer. I question Richmond as a 12.

Newton_14
03-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Vandy gets a pass from me because they beat the heels this year. So I am good, especially since this means Richmond is better than UNC! :D

On a serious note, that is quite the resume. Losing to 3 different "little guys" in back to back to back years? That is bizarre!

So far this year's tourney has not disappointed. Upsets and buzzer beaters. March Madness at its finest!

Jarhead
03-17-2011, 11:03 PM

But5 there is. It will still be St. Patrick's Day for another 47 minutes.

marinbobbyduhon
03-18-2011, 12:08 AM
BTW, no offense to crimsonandblue, but I will be rooting passionately for Notre Dame.

Brey is clearly the crown jewel of Coach K proteges. (At least so far; we will see if JD can turn around Stanford). And this is Brey's best chance to reach a final four.

Notre Dame is offensively loaded and starts 5 seniors. They play beautiful motion offense, have shooters galore, have a great leader and clutch player (unfortunately, a Hansbrough, but still), and have versatile players that can switch and guard different positions.

If ND wins a national championship, it'll be almost like Duke winning a national championship. They're our sister school and we should support them. The dream is to have Duke and ND playing on Monday Night.

That's the two teams I have in the Finals. Of course, I have Duke winning it all.:o

Chris Randolph
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

KU struggled a bit for 30 of 40 minutes against Boston U (who is a nice team, one of the better 16 seeds I've ever seen). But honestly this could be KU's "closest" game til the Elite 8. They will crush UNLV or Illinois because they will be ready to play, then play Richmond or Morehead St (laughable). From the bottom of the bracket, I think FSU is the only team that could give them trouble cuz they match their size and strength and are athletic. Plus their D is great.

KU's road to the final 4 is turning into the friendly skies as they fly right over the first 4 rounds.

billyj
03-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Georgetown goes down yet again. ;) Seems like they have a history of running into Cinderellas.

billyj
03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Georgetown goes down yet again. ;) Seems like they have a history of running into Cinderellas.

2011 Lost to VCU 1st game
2010 Lost to Ohio (not ohio state) 1st game
2008 Lost to Davison 2nd game

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Personally, I think Florida St will beat Notre Dame tonight. VCU is pounding Purdue early in the 2nd half. If these two things happen then KU's road to the final 4 will have a #10, 11 and 12 seed left. Wow, that must be nice :)

Indoor66
03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
VCU is doing a number on Purdue! Makes some of the talking heads look silly.

wilson
03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Personally, I think Florida St will beat Notre Dame tonight. VCU is pounding Purdue early in the 2nd half. If these two things happen then KU's road to the final 4 will have a #10, 11 and 12 seed left. Wow, that must be nice :)The Kansas-Illinois game hasn't even started yet.

AtlBluRew
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
VCU is doing a number on Purdue! Makes some of the talking heads look silly.

Including Jay Bilas. I like Jay, but I have to say I was really tired of hearing him and the others complain last Sunday that VCU was in and Virginia Tech wasn't. I guess that's because I dislike Virginia Tech even more than I like Jay. Thanks for giving me the pretense that I was being reasonable last Sunday, VCU!

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
The Kansas-Illinois game hasn't even started yet.

Are you watching the game? The focused and cocky Jayhawks are playing tonight

wilson
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Are you watching the game? The focused and cocky Jayhawks are playing tonightBe that as it may, it was and is always silly to just write this game off. Moreover, there is still more than 80% of the game remaining.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Including Jay Bilas. I like Jay, but I have to say I was really tired of hearing him and the others complain last Sunday that VCU was in and Virginia Tech wasn't. I guess that's because I dislike Virginia Tech even more than I like Jay. Thanks for giving me the pretense that I was being reasonable last Sunday, VCU!

Well I really have enjoyed Bilas this year b/c he seems to be speaking more of his mind and I almost feel like I'm just repeating what he says, but I tend to agree with most of what he says.

And his response, is that what you do in the tournament does little to justify being selected. Now winning 3 games is different and certainly impressive but getting hot at the right time certainly doesn't necessarily justify them getting in. It is almost like saying Butler should have been a 1 seed last year.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Be that as it may, it was and is always silly to just write this game off. Moreover, there is still more than 80% of the game remaining.

I agree with ya, can't just assume. I follow KU because I live in KS and whenever they play mediocre (1st round), they play like an NBA team the next night out. I'd love for them to lose but Illinois is way overmatched and has been inconsistent all year

ajgoodfella7
03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Did not see that VCU-Purdue outcome coming at all.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Personally, I think Florida St will beat Notre Dame tonight. VCU is pounding Purdue early in the 2nd half. If these two things happen then KU's road to the final 4 will have a #10, 11 and 12 seed left. Wow, that must be nice :)

Improbable but not impossible that the SW Sweet 16 will be 9-12 seeds.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Improbable but not impossible that the SW Sweet 16 will be 9-12 seeds.

I hope your right!!!! KU started so strong, really surprised Illinois is hanging considering McCamey is brutal tonight

SMO
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Did not see that VCU-Purdue outcome coming at all.

We're just a small miracle away from a Richmond v VCU cross- town rivalry matchup in the NCAAT. Who has that in their bracket?

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 10:26 PM
We're just a small miracle away from a Richmond v VCU cross- town rivalry matchup in the NCAAT. Who has that in their bracket?

I had it in my NIT bracket about 2 weeks ago ;)

Jderf
03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Anybody else wondering whether or not FSU can sustain this level of play?

ajgoodfella7
03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Anybody else wondering whether or not FSU can sustain this level of play?

I have been kind of waiting for the tables to turn as it so often does with them, but have been pleasantly surprised me to this point. I'm hoping they can keep it up but I'm just not sure.

1 24 90
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
If Kansas & FSU both win, the ACC will be the only conference with 3 teams in the Sweet Sixteen!

Newton_14
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Anybody know what channel the FSU/Notre Dame game is on? Kansas/Illinois is on TNT, CBS is showing regular shows, as is TBS, and TruTv? I thought all games would be on one of those 4 channel's?

wilson
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Anybody know what channel the FSU/Notre Dame game is on? Kansas/Illinois is on TNT, CBS is showing regular shows, as is TBS, and TruTv? I thought all games would be on one of those 4 channel's?TBS isn't showing regular shows on my TV...it's showing halftime of ND-FSU.

1 24 90
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Anybody know what channel the FSU/Notre Dame game is on? Kansas/Illinois is on TNT, CBS is showing regular shows, as is TBS, and TruTv? I thought all games would be on one of those 4 channel's?

It is on TBS.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Kansas has scored the last 8 points and they have all come on dunks. Don't know what happened to Illinois's defense at the end of the game.

Newton_14
03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys. Found it. User error.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Last game of "3d" round, ND v. FSU. It's sort of nice to be able to root for both teams: ND because of Brey and impressive team play, FSU because of ACC and great defense and unusual length.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I know it's late and maybe I'm the only one watching this but FSU was CRUISING against ND. I was a little shocked when I turned it on for the 2nd half and the Noles were up by as many as 22 (I think - it might have been a bit more) and just totally in control. But, it's down to 12 now with like 8:00 to go. Could be a meltdown of EPIC proportions in the making here..

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 11:35 PM
I know it's late and maybe I'm the only one watching this but FSU was CRUISING against ND. I was a little shocked when I turned it on for the 2nd half and the Noles were up by as many as 22 (I think - it might have been a bit more) and just totally in control. But, it's down to 12 now with like 8:00 to go. Could be a meltdown of EPIC proportions in the making here..

I'm watching. FSU will be fine, they will force tough shots and board well. ND doesn't press much so I could see FSU getting a couple easy buckets late against the press

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 11:40 PM
You're probably right - maybe this isn't the FSU of old that I'm used to. Hate it for Mike Brey though - especially to get waxed like this.

Lulu
03-20-2011, 11:53 PM
So who had "other" in the poll? It's either a cake-walk for Kansas now or an "other" is getting through. 9seed-12seed-10/11seed. Is that even easier than the way our bracket broke down last year when everyone complained so much about it (since Kansas was the best team last year of course)?

Chris Randolph
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
So who had "other" in the poll? It's either a cake-walk for Kansas now or an "other" is getting through. 9seed-12seed-10/11seed. Is that even easier than the way our bracket broke down last year when everyone complained so much about it (since Kansas was the best team last year of course)?

Yes it is easier, much easier. Purdue was ranked #10 in the nation and Baylor was #19 (and one of the hottest teams in the country) heading into the tournament

Neals384
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I believe Fla st - VCU will be the first ever matchup of a 10 seed vs. an 11 seed.

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 12:04 AM

I think Richmond is going to give Kansas a run for their money. I don't like Kansas' guards at all (with the exception of Taylor).

Chris Randolph
03-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Anyone know what the "worst" regional (sweet 16/elite 8) ever, by seeding, has been? Is this it? A #1, 10, 11, 12

I guess you could add up the numbers (34) to figure it out, idk

UrinalCake
03-21-2011, 01:06 AM
How about a shout-out to FSU for doing the ACC proud and absolutely manhandling the Fighting Irish, a team which some thought deserved a #1 seed over Duke. With Chris Singleton coming back (he played 10 minutes in this game and 16 in the opener against Texas A&M) and a matchup against fellow upset winner VCU, the 'Noles seemed primed to keep it going.

Despite a "down year", the ACC gets three teams into the sweet 16 (out of four) while the Big East gets two of eleven, both of whom played other Big East teams in their second game (therefore it was guaranteed that a Big East team would advance).

uh_no
03-21-2011, 01:09 AM
How about a shout-out to FSU for doing the ACC proud and absolutely manhandling the Fighting Irish, a team which some thought deserved a #1 seed over Duke. With Chris Singleton coming back (he played 10 minutes in this game and 16 in the opener against Texas A&M) and a matchup against fellow upset winner VCU, the 'Noles seemed primed to keep it going.

Despite a "down year", the ACC gets three teams into the sweet 16 (out of four) while the Big East gets two of eleven, both of whom played other Big East teams in their second game (therefore it was guaranteed that a Big East team would advance).

always good to see a hansbrough go down....especially like that

hurley1
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM

The Big Least Conference earns it's name..

uh_no
03-21-2011, 01:23 AM
The Big Least Conference earns it's name..

the big 10 was just as big a failure....especially after getting such cheap bubble teams in.....that said VT proved today that maybe the committee was right to leave them out...

Pam
03-21-2011, 01:24 AM
I couldn't be happier for FSU - great, great defense! Love that the ACC had 3 of 4 teams advance to the Sweet 16 - made my day! Oh, and the fact that the Big East had only 2 of 11 advance just sweetened it that much more.

AZLA
03-21-2011, 01:42 AM
FSU rocked it -- was cheering for them the whole way and now my bracket is for the better.

Congrats, Noles!

rfaison
03-21-2011, 01:57 AM
My brother's an FSU grad and is thrilled beyond words as is the rest of 'Nole nation I suspect. This is HUGE for their program. They were SO impressive vs. ND.

VCU seemed equally impressive vs. Purdue (2 of 16 teams from Richmond, go figure ... as many as the Big East, don't you love it?!) and the upcoming FSU-VCU game will be very interesting.

ice-9
03-21-2011, 02:40 AM
How lucky is Kansas this year?? Their second round opponent will be the highest seed they have to face in their regional. What's left: #12 Richmond, #11 VCU or #10 FSU. If they can't make the Final Four with this kind of competition...

Then in the Final Four they will face either a...
- Overseeded Florida which got spanked by Kentucky on a neutral court in the SEC championship game
- BYU team missing a key player
- Decent but not exactly scary Wisconsin team
- Plucky 8 seed Butler that has overperformed

Wow, just wow. Kansas is the Michigan State of this year.

Pam
03-21-2011, 03:24 AM
I think VCU is very dangerous. They are playing with a HUGE chip on their shoulders since every announcer, analyst, prognosticator, etc, declared vehemently that VCU DID NOT BELONG IN THE TOURNAMENT. Their confidence grows with every game and they have something to prove. Loving what they have done and looking forward to seeing what they will accomplish.

LOVE that the city of Richmond has as many teams in the 16 as the entire Big East. Today was a fun day, except for the near heart attack that Duke gave me the last 10 minutes of the Michigan game. Here's hoping that was their ONE close call and the rest is fairly clear sailing. The only team that really scares me is OSU, but I am sure that K has a plan. ;)

ice-9
03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
I think VCU is very dangerous. They are playing with a HUGE chip on their shoulders since every announcer, analyst, prognosticator, etc, declared vehemently that VCU DID NOT BELONG IN THE TOURNAMENT. Their confidence grows with every game and they have something to prove. Loving what they have done and looking forward to seeing what they will accomplish.

True, but at the same time, in a new tournament even with these VCU results, who would you rather face: VCU or Louisville?

But then again maybe I'm still brainwashed by the ESPN Big East love fest... :)

Saratoga2
03-21-2011, 07:35 AM

LOVE that the city of Richmond has as many teams in the 16 as the entire Big East. Today was a fun day, except for the near heart attack that Duke gave me the last 10 minutes of the Michigan game. Here's hoping that was their ONE close call and the rest is fairly clear sailing. The only team that really scares me is OSU, but I am sure that K has a plan. ;)

VCU style ball is to take it at you relentlessly and continuously. They aren't big, but they have enough quick players to keep fresh legs in the game and enough good shooters to punish an opponent who tires under their pressure.

Against Purdue they held a 20 point lead and there was no idea of slowing down on offense. They continued to push the ball at them and work for a good shot. They would shoot when the opportunity came without trying to milk the clock. It is refreshing to see a team play with such abandon.

Duke has depth as well and excellent guards but our style has not been one where we push the ball, especially at the end of the game. Interesting to see the differences between the styles of the better teams in the tournament and the effectiveness of those styles.