PDA

View Full Version : Discussion thread: East (Newark) bracket

JasonEvans
03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Please put all comments on the East/Newark bracket in this thread. A poll will be posted asking who you think will win the West after the brackets are announced.

-Jason

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
UNC gets the last #2 seed, and ends up in OSU's bracket. Also they get Syracuse as a #3 seed. Also Kentucky as a #4... really tough bracket.

Chris Randolph
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
TOUGH region... Wow

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
The Huskies (if they get by Georgia) could give UNC fits.

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
UNC will have an extremely tough matchup against that Syracuse zone (if they matchup) if they can't knock down their shots.

1 24 90
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
What an awesome bracket. I don't care for UNC/Kentucky or OSU (I live in Columbus) so let them beat up on each other. Go Syracuse! or George Mason

AlaskanAssassin
03-13-2011, 06:17 PM

I was thinking that, but that is a lot of travel miles for the huskies. whew! would it wear them down?

Utley
I agree on tough. Ohio St could have to play Nova in round 2. They've been fading but are a good team. I've been worried about some of the weaker teams giving the #1's a tough round 2 game.

davekay1971
Mixed news for the 'Holes. They got a gift being a 2 seed, but no gift at all in that bracket. Hope the shots are falling for Syracuse. Their zone against UNC's interior game will be an interesting matchup...and, at first glance, not a great one for UNC.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
They did NO favors to unc. And technically they're the worst 2 seed.

MarkD83
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Any reason why they have two "first round games" in this region?

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM

I agree. UW has good size with Mathew Bryan-Amaning and Aziz N'Diaye and speed with Isiah Thomas and Venoy Overton. C.J. Wilcox and Terrence Ross are great shooters. The Huskies match-up with the Tar Heels nicely.

loran16
03-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree on tough. Ohio St could have to play Nova in round 2. They've been fading but are a good team. I've been worried about some of the weaker teams giving the #1's a tough round 2 game.

Nova? Try George Mason. Much better team. Mason is ranked #25 by Pomeroy while Nova is a #28, and that's overall, not taking into account that the Nova of the last 5 games has not been the Nova before that.

But yeah, the Cuse zone and UNC could be deadly.

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 07:36 PM
But yeah, the Cuse zone and UNC could be deadly.

I realize I am repeating myself here but I do not see Carolina beating UW.

JasonEvans
03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
A poll has been added to this thread. Vote early and often ;)

-Jason

brevity
03-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Generally, a tough region, but not so bad for Ohio State. Their main obstacle is the strong likelihood of playing a fellow public university with a large fanbase from a neighboring state: either Kentucky or West Virginia.

I'm not a person who cares all that much about bubble talk -- I disagree with a few choices, but it's hard for me to be outraged when one sort-of-okay team makes it over another sort-of-okay team. So my main problem with the Selection Committee is the blatant disregard of accepted convention by not spreading out the Big East teams. 11-seed Marquette could play 3-seed Syracuse in the Round of 32 in this region, while the West has slated 6-seed Cincinnati and 3-seed Connecticut.

I understand that squeezing 11 Big East teams into a 68-team field presents a challenge, but this was an easy fix. Swap Marquette and 10-seed Georgia (no one thought Georgia should have been a 10-seed anyway), and swap Cincinnati and 7-seed Temple. Done. No Big East team faces another, at least until the Round of 16.

The Committee was embarrassingly lazy here. Someone needs to thaw out Billy Packer so that he can punish them effectively.

I realize I am repeating myself here but I do not see Carolina beating UW.

Thank you! UW is one of those teams designed to wreak havoc on the chalk. Before the field was set I had pretty much penciled them into the Sweet 16. The only thing making me hesitate now is the fact that their games would be in Charlotte.

Of course, watch the Huskies lose to UGA.

PumpkinFunk
03-14-2011, 10:36 AM
This is a really interest region. UW and Cuse are both teams that could wreak havoc on Carolina, but I think with a week to prep for the Cuse zone, that's less of a concern than UW is. In terms of a UNC/OSU Elite 8 matchup, I think it's a tossup. That's actually a better matchup for UNC than you would think - Henson or Zeller on Sullinger, Barnes on the wing is hard for OSU, Henson is a hard match for OSU, and Marshall is far better than OSU's point (I forget who it is). Obviously, OSU can hit the 3, but I don't think UNC has to double Sullinger (Henson or Zeller can easily take him on their own, I think), and so it's a hard matchup for OSU because they're not seeing constant double-teams.

I'm honestly having a hard time not sending Carolina to the Final Four in my bracket... sadly.

superdave
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm honestly having a hard time not sending Carolina to the Final Four in my bracket... sadly.

Carolina has played poorly (save for Duke at the Dean Dome) the past few weeks. They beat Clemson FSU and BC each by just 2 points, started all three ACCT games very poorly and got waxed by Duke. The blueprint has to be well known now - hound Kendall Marshall and keep the pace a little slow. I could see them losing to Washington or Syracuse. I do not see them beating Ohio State. If they make the FF, somone will have done the dirty work for them via upsets.

MChambers
03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Carolina has played poorly (save for Duke at the Dean Dome) the past few weeks. They beat Clemson FSU and BC each by just 2 points, started all three ACCT games very poorly and got waxed by Duke. The blueprint has to be well known now - hound Kendall Marshall and keep the pace a little slow. I could see them losing to Washington or Syracuse. I do not see them beating Ohio State. If they make the FF, somone will have done the dirty work for them via upsets.
And I think that Isiah Thomas is the kind of guard who will give UNC fits. Plus I think the Syracuse zone will be a problem for UNC, even with most of a week to prepare. I just don't think they have the personnel to attack a zone.

weezie
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
If anyone bought tix to Verizon and wants to get rid of them, let me know.
Also posted on exchange but that room seems to have an empty feel. :)

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I must say that I like Sullinger. I have mega faith in him. I heard that his least favorite colour is baby blue. I heard that he eats rams from breakfast. I heard that he won Freshman of the Year over an d-bag a few miles down the road. I heard that weighs as much as Henson and Zeller put together. Actually, the last point may be true.

Anywho, I digress. UNC isn't getting to the S16. Good luck to Sullinger and Co.

cptnflash
03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
If I were an Ohio State fan, I would be fairly upset about the East bracket. Assuming there are no upsets, Ohio State will have to beat Kentucky, then UNC, then us, and then Kansas in order to win the national championship. That is no way to treat a #1 overall seed. It's like the gauntlet of legendary programs. All they needed was to face UCLA in the second round and it would be perfect!

rasputin
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree. UW has good size with Mathew Bryan-Amaning and Aziz N'Diaye and speed with Isiah Thomas and Venoy Overton. C.J. Wilcox and Terrence Ross are great shooters. The Huskies match-up with the Tar Heels nicely.

I saw the Pac-10 final and was very impressed with U-dub, and it's appealing to think about Thomas runnng circles around the Holes. Bob, I assume you've seen a lot of the Huskies, and you've expressed optimism that they will take down Carolina. We've discussed the likely Charlotte crowd a lot in other threads, and although it might not be a light blue avalanche, we can certainly expect a very pro-Carolina crowd in that game. How has Washington performed in road games? (Not asking about W's and L's, just have they played OK on the road?)

P.S. I've liked Coach Lorenzo Romar from his days here in St. Louis.

pfrduke
03-15-2011, 03:07 AM
I saw the Pac-10 final and was very impressed with U-dub, and it's appealing to think about Thomas runnng circles around the Holes. Bob, I assume you've seen a lot of the Huskies, and you've expressed optimism that they will take down Carolina. We've discussed the likely Charlotte crowd a lot in other threads, and although it might not be a light blue avalanche, we can certainly expect a very pro-Carolina crowd in that game. How has Washington performed in road games? (Not asking about W's and L's, just have they played OK on the road?)

P.S. I've liked Coach Lorenzo Romar from his days here in St. Louis.

They have not played ok on the road. For years. They played poorly at Oregon and Oregon State. Poorly at Washington State. Poorly at Stanford. They lost away from home to Kentucky, Michigan State, and Texas A&M. At home, they absolutely dominate people (the Cougars were the sole exception) - but they play like a completely different team on the road.

My only hope is that the Pac-10 tournament gave them some comfort playing outside of Seattle - they got to exorcise the WSU demons and played clutch basketball down the stretch against Arizona.

gumbomoop
03-15-2011, 10:18 AM
In terms of a UNC/OSU Elite 8 matchup, I think it's a tossup. That's actually a better matchup for UNC than you would think - Henson or Zeller on Sullinger, Barnes on the wing is hard for OSU, Henson is a hard match for OSU, and Marshall is far better than OSU's point (I forget who it is).

I agree with those who say UNC would be challenged by both UW and Cuse, should such games eventuate this week and next. [Edit: For that matter, Xavier's no slouch, either, so Cuse is no guarantee. UNC v. Xavier would be interesting.]

Assuming for a moment a UNC-tOSU regional final, I do not agree with the bolded comment in the tag quote re Marshall v. Aaron Craft. Despite his awful performance v. Duke on Sunday, Marshall is a fine PG, whose elevation to starter turned around UNC's season. He has a great college career ahead of him. He will bedevil opponents over next several seasons, for sure.

But Aaron Craft has been a revelation: Big 10 All-Frosh team, first team Big 10 defensive team, and Big 10 Sixth Man of the Year awardee. Technically a 6th man, Craft actually plays starter minutes [30 mpg]. He's not as brilliant a passer as Marshall, and he has the assist-advantage of passing to great 3-bombers. Still, his better than 2:1 A/TO is solid. His defense is way better than Marshall's, and his overall court sense is as good as Marshall's. He doesn't get the national publicity that Sullinger and the seniors receive, but Big 10 folks know how very, very good Craft has been.

davekay1971
03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
If the 2nd (er, 3rd) round were being played in Newark, I would pick Washington over UNC, but it's being played in the Dean Dome (South Annex). I think UNC wins a home game. The biggest trouble I see for them is playing Syracuse in Newark, in front of a pro-Orange crowd. Both OSU and UNC are probably rubbing their collective lucky rabbits feet and hoping for an early upset of 'Cuse.

dukebluesincebirth
03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
If the 2nd (er, 3rd) round were being played in Newark, I would pick Washington over UNC, but it's being played in the Dean Dome (South Annex). I think UNC wins a home game. The biggest trouble I see for them is playing Syracuse in Newark, in front of a pro-Orange crowd. Both OSU and UNC are probably rubbing their collective lucky rabbits feet and hoping for an early upset of 'Cuse.

I agree with the Cuse comments. I see Washington giving the heels a close game but carolina squeaking by again. But I think the tight 2-3 zone that mr. boheim has perfected is a nightmare for the heels. Plus Coach K ad Coach B are good friends, and K would be happy to provide a blueprint (oh, I guess he already did on sunday)! With it in Newark, I like the CUSE to end carolina's season.

superdave
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Ohio State has somehow being playing at a really high level - whether grinding out tough games or blowing teams out. I dont like it, but it's obvious they are really good.

I talked myself out of Washington over Unc because it's going to be a partisan, yuppie, whine and annoy Unc crowd in Charlotte. Anywhere else, Washington would be my pick. But Syracuse over Unc in the Sweet 16 because Unc cannot bust a zone.

The two toughest games for me to pick were Marquette over Xavier (1st round) and Kentcuky over WVU (2nd round).

Super "I refuse to refer to play-in games as first found - blah!" Dave

dukebluesincebirth
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Anyone else watching Clemson/WVU? The Tigers are looking pretty good! Represent ACC!

BlueDevilBaby
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Give Clemson time. It's only the first half of the first half. Why did CBS scoreboard reference 12 minute quarters before game started? Anyway, here's hoping Clemson puts a full 40 minutes together.

pfrduke
03-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Good start for the Tigers thus far. Jerai Grant has been playing the best basketball of his career over the last few games (basically everything after the Duke game).

dukebluesincebirth
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Good start for the Tigers thus far. Jerai Grant has been playing the best basketball of his career over the last few games (basically everything after the Duke game).

Hold that Tiger! I'd love to see the tourney begin with an ACC school taking out a Big East school! Grant is doing work.

YourLandlord
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaand 11-1 run to end the half by WVU. Nice job, clemson.

dukebluesincebirth
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I fear the tigers may have just played the best they possibly can, and the score is tied. Probably won't repeat that in the 2nd half... but I sure hope they do!

AZLA
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
15-1 run by WV!

C'mon Clemson!

burns15
03-17-2011, 01:48 PM
15-1 run by WV!

C'mon Clemson!

Clemson falling apart again, where have I seen this before? hmm...

superdave
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
What # is Enes Kanter for Kentucky? I cant seem to figure out which one he is....

Super "GTHK, GTH" Dave

LSanders
03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Per Bilas via Twitter:

On Kentucky: only 4.9% of entries picked Princeton over UK. And, all of those people went to Princeton or Louisville. Oh, and Laettner.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
[expletive deleted]

MChambers
03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
[expletive deleted]

That you had our support. Very disappointing to see Princeton lose in such a close game, no matter what it might have done to our brackets.

Newton_14
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I have to give Clemson a break here. The NCAA Tourney Committee screwed them big time. They play the play-in game on Tuesday in Dayton, and it ends at midnight. Then they get the noon start on Thursday in Tampa. That is not fair at all.

First, the play-in games should be at the same place as the true first round game. Clemson should have been playing in Tampa on Tuesday. Second, they should have been given a night game on Thursday vs noon. Mazzula said he could tell the Clemson team was tired and had dead legs in the 2nd half.

Playing the play-n games at the regular sites would make much more sense, which is probably why the committee does not do that. Far be it for them to make a rational decision or anything.

COYS
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
[expletive deleted]

We our team acquitted ourselves pretty darn well, I must say. My wife and I were bummed, too, but I'm proud of our guys. If the refs had managed to call more than 3 fouls on UK in the entire second half (with the first coming with 5 minutes remaining) we may have just had enough to get it done. As it was, we played well enough to win. We just need one more lucky break. Oh, and Doug Davis totally outplayed Brandon Knight, that last layup notwithstanding. Great performance from the Tigers.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-18-2011, 12:01 AM
We our team acquitted ourselves pretty darn well, I must say. My wife and I were bummed, too, but I'm proud of our guys. If the refs had managed to call more than 3 fouls on UK in the entire second half (with the first coming with 5 minutes remaining) we may have just had enough to get it done. As it was, we played well enough to win. We just need one more lucky break. Oh, and Doug Davis totally outplayed Brandon Knight, that last layup notwithstanding. Great performance from the Tigers.

(1) I am unfortunately way past moral victories having sat through this exact game in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2011 (and probably missed one in there somewhere). I still revel in the UCLA game, but these almosts make me so frustrated. Especially against Calipari. I could almost taste the post-game press conference ("My kids are young and inexperienced.")
(2) We did get that gift non-turnover call that led to that most unlikely of layups from Connelly. The only call that burned me was the ridiculous phantom foul called on Doug Davis before that Hummer dunk rejection. He barely touched the dude.
(3) Are you two going to reunions this year?

COYS
03-18-2011, 12:45 AM
(1) I am unfortunately way past moral victories having sat through this exact game in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2011 (and probably missed one in there somewhere). I still revel in the UCLA game, but these almosts make me so frustrated. Especially against Calipari. I could almost taste the post-game press conference ("My kids are young and inexperienced.")
(2) We did get that gift non-turnover call that led to that most unlikely of layups from Connelly. The only call that burned me was the ridiculous phantom foul called on Doug Davis before that Hummer dunk rejection. He barely touched the dude.
(3) Are you two going to reunions this year?

I understand you on the "past moral victories" part. It was crushing because we had it, but I still couldn't help but feel good for our guys, especially Kareem who got to lead Princeton back to it's rightful place after enduring some of the program's lowest lows four years ago. And just in time, too, because Harvard looks poised for dominance.

Unfortunately my wife and I can't make it this year. It's wedding season for our non-Princeton friends (because no self-respecting Princetonian would schedule a wedding during reunions). But we will definitely be there next year. Have fun for us!

PumpkinFunk
03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow, George Mason. Coming back from down 10 while Villanova collapsed to get the win. What an amazing finish from my hometown team.

pfrduke
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Wow, George Mason. Coming back from down 10 while Villanova collapsed to get the win. What an amazing finish from my hometown team.

They had a ton of those this season (the Rutgers one, most notably). Really tough season for Nova in terms of closing out games.

ajgoodfella7
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
The LIU Blackbirds versus the UNC Black Falcon. What a story.

MChambers
03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
The LIU Blackbirds versus the UNC Black Falcon. What a story.
Henson is looking good, but just fell on his rear end after a dunk. One of the funniest plays of the year. Barnes is making lots of mistakes, including fouling a three point shooter.

El_Diablo
03-18-2011, 08:12 PM
UNC-LIU was tied with about 5 minutes to go in the first half, but the refs are helping UNC pull away a little bit. Phantom foul call to put Barnes on the line, then they let Henson "inbound" an LIU made shot from under the basket...without even stepping out of bounds (at the 3:30 mark). Then a questionable travel call on LIU. Then UNC bumps an LIU player out of bounds on a scramble for a loose ball. UNC quickly up by 10...

billyj
03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
LIU is putting on a show! Even though they are losing, they are putting a bitter taste in the UNC fans' mouth. ;)

ChrisP
03-18-2011, 09:28 PM
This game has obviously been over for a while but...if LIU could have made just 2-3 of the wide open 3's they took late, they could have made it interesting. The bottom line is that UNC's offense has looked really good but...they will likely end up giving up around 90pts to a 15 seed here.

ChrisP
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Hmm...10pt game with almost 2:00 to go. Come one LIU - get a stop, make a shot, see what happens.

jipops
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
UNC has not lost a tournament game since 2009. Hmm... very impressive;)

ajgoodfella7
03-18-2011, 09:35 PM
UNC has not lost a tournament game since 2009. Hmm... very impressive;)

Even more impressive when you consider they've also only lost 1 NIT game since 2009.

Newton_14
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
This game has obviously been over for a while but...if LIU could have made just 2-3 of the wide open 3's they took late, they could have made it interesting. The bottom line is that UNC's offense has looked really good but...they will likely end up giving up around 90pts to a 15 seed here.

LIU had somewhat of a conundrum approaching this game. On the one hand, the book on beating UNC is too keep the pace slow, attack Marshall on defense, and pack the remaining defense in tight and force UNC to hit jumpshots in halfcourt sets. On the other hand, LIU's identity is to play at a torrid pace, and play aggressive defense.

That leads to a difficult choice. Do I change my style and hope my kids can execute a different style of play? Or do I play my normal style and hope by doing so I do not play right into UNC's hands?

Tough decision for one of the little schools. They obviously rolled the dice with their normal style, and ended up playing a very respectable game. And actually, I felt UNC's interior size hurt LIU much more than UNC's speed did.

Very good showing by the little guy. UNC was good on offense, but their defense was very lacking.

billyj
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
There is a clear recipe beating UNC. Pack the middle and take Henson, Zeller and Barnes out of the game. And you get a win.

Bob Green
03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the UW - Georgia game as I'm confident the Huskies have the talent and style of play to beat the Tar Heels. Coach Lorenzo Romar favors tough M2M defense and a guard oriented offensive attack. The Huskies run a lot of high ball screens and shoot the 3-ball. In other words, they play like Duke. Step #1 is to not look ahead to Carolina and take care of business against the Bulldogs, while step #2 is taking it to the Heels in Charlotte!

I've watched many UW games this year and they are a little inconsistent at times (they had a mid-season slump), but when they are clicking, they are a very talented team.

AlaskanAssassin
03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
UW shooting hasn't been clicking and they are shooting a lot of threes. Ga has been physical.

-jk
03-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Both Wash and UG are forcing it a lot. Tons of bad decisions.

-jk

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Washington held on for the victory so now they get a chance to take it to the Tar Heels. They will need to play better than they did tonight.

LSanders
03-19-2011, 04:03 AM
LIU put up 87?

The Huskies game should be interesting. Wonder what the odds are the Holes will be able to enjoy early spring in Chapel Hill the next couple of weekends?

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Ken Pomeroy gives Carolina a 64 percent chance of beating Washington and predicts a 81-77 final score. I like the Huskies to win, but they are going to have to shoot better than 22% on 3-pointers to beat Carolina. UW was 4-18 on 3s in their win over Georgia; however, they have made 36.8% on the season. If the UW shooters find their stroke, they can win this game as they play a hounding style defense which could give the Tar Heels fits.

MChambers
03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Ken Pomeroy gives Carolina a 64 percent chance of beating Washington and predicts a 81-77 final score. I like the Huskies to win, but they are going to have to shoot better than 22% on 3-pointers to beat Carolina. UW was 4-18 on 3s in their win over Georgia; however, they have made 36.8% on the season. If the UW shooters find their stroke, they can win this game as they play a hounding style defense which could give the Tar Heels fits.

Thomas is a very quick point and should be able to penetrate against UNC. I expect Strickland to match up with him, but Strickland is a liability on offense these days.

House G
03-19-2011, 01:14 PM
The KY jellies may be in trouble--can't seem to solve WVU's zone this year either.

sporthenry
03-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Well WVU just got 5 points on bad foul calls. Not that I want to see UK win, but I just want a close game. This tournament hasn't had very close games especially on Friday.

juise
03-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Seeing Joe Mazzulla on the Saturday morning second round game (I refuse to call this third round) is giving me some traumatic flashbacks to 2008.

As long as WVU keeps giving Calipari traumatic flashbacks to 2010, I'm OK with that. :)

House G
03-19-2011, 01:40 PM
The KY jellies may be in trouble--can't seem to solve WVU's zone this year either.

I guess I jinxed West Virginia lol.

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I like Ohio State to handle George Mason. Too much hype for George Mason going in, Ohio St takes offense to it and wins by double digits

I also like Carolina over UW. UW has to run zone and hope that UNC continues to miss jump shots. But.... I can see UNC getting a ton offensive boards, put backs and free throws. UNC wins by 8-12 points

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I also like Carolina over UW. UW has to run zone and hope that UNC continues to miss jump shots. But.... I can see UNC getting a ton offensive boards, put backs and free throws. UNC wins by 8-12 points

Please expound on why UW "has to run zone". Lorenzo Romar will run some zone but he prefers M2M defense. I expect the Huskies to exert intense on ball pressure on Marshall and Strickland. Moreover, UW is pretty good on the boards.

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Please expound on why UW "has to run zone". Lorenzo Romar will run some zone but he prefers M2M defense. I expect the Huskies to exert intense on ball pressure on Marshall and Strickland. Moreover, UW is pretty good on the boards.

Well they definitely don't "have" to run zone but running with the Tar Heels never seems to work. I don't think they need to necessarily slow the game down and play zone all day because that is not their style. UNC's weakness is shooting from the perimeter, their strength is transition. Therefore integrating more zone into their gameplan (which they have done throughout the year) may force some poor shot selection from UNC, which can lead to some good/efficient transition opportunities for UW. If UW does board well like you stated, then I would think running some zone would be evenmore beneficial

I understand that you don't get away from what you are good at (for UW that is an up and down game). But you also have to be able to make your opponents play to their weakness and take advantage of it

Bob Green
03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I understand that you don't get away from what you are good at (for UW that is an up and down game). But you also have to be able to make your opponents play to their weakness and take advantage of it

Okay, now I agree with you. UW should zone the Heels at times and be selective with their running game, but I still expect Lorenzo Romar will go to his strength and play significant amounts of pressure M2M defense. I am concerned the Huskies will try and run too much, which (as you point out) isn't a formula for success against Carolina.

Chris Randolph
03-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Okay, now I agree with you. UW should zone the Heels at times and be selective with their running game, but I still expect Lorenzo Romar will go to his strength and play significant amounts of pressure M2M defense. I am concerned the Huskies will try and run too much, which (as you point out) isn't a formula for success against Carolina.

I do agree with you that the pressure M2M defense (much like Nolan displayed in ACCT) is very effective against the perimeter players of UNC. UW has no shortage of athletes, that is for sure.

It comes down to rebounding, not comitting to's that lead to easy points and of course making shots

Should be fun to watch, especially if UW can pull off the upset :D

ncexnyc
03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure why Washington wouldn't try to run. LIU scored over 80 points against the heels and they aren't anywhere near as talented as Washington.
I'm not sure you can change who you are, this late in the game.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Well it appears UNC will enjoy a hearty foul differential in this game. 9 minutes in UW has 4 fouls, UNC has 0.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
It's heating up in Charlotte... Husky style!

House G
03-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Huskies are smokin!

House G
03-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Fouls 9:1?

TheDuckStore
Huskies are smokin!

So are the ref's whistles, if you are wearing a black jersey

superdave
Can this Washington team simultaneously run on Carolina while slowing Carolina down a with a zone? Loos like they are getting up and down but bogging Unc's offense down a good bit.

Carolina has to knock down jumpers and find a way get into the lane. This Washington team is really athletic.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Sitting here in my living room in KS and I just got called for a foul, that is my 2nd as well. These refs are brutal

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
They call a carry on Isaiah Thomas, take a look at the other pg in the game, stripes!

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
First half nearly over and UNC has been called for...ONE foul? Seriously???

Foul differential is now 10:1. I'm not watching yet - just looking at stats online but...this doesn't seem right.

RoyalBlue08
03-20-2011, 01:02 PM
11 fouls on Washington, 2 on UNC for the half. Mostly due to Washington shooting a lot of jumpers and or getting uncontested dunks on poor UNC defense, but I wonder if the refs will try to even in it out in the second half. I can't remember a game in which a team only got two fouls in a half.

freshmanjs
03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Foul differential is now 10:1. I'm not watching yet - just looking at stats online but...this doesn't seem right.

why not?

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Yep, it's right. Fouls in the half ended up 11-2, I believe. If that were Duke with an edge like that, the haters would be protesting outside the arena and calling for a federal investigation.

But it's North Carolina, so no one will say anything.

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
11 fouls on Washington, 2 on UNC for the half. Mostly due to Washington shooting a lot of jumpers and or getting uncontested dunks on poor UNC defense, but I wonder if the refs will try to even in it out in the second half. I can't remember a game in which a team only got two fouls in a half.

Washington was shooting a lot, but the foul differential is still absurd. Any kind of bump or contestation by Washington's bigs is an automatic whistle, while Kerlina can block (hi, Zeller), push, slap with no consequences.

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM

So far so good.

I know Romar wants his guys packed in some to keep UNC off the offensive boards but he's going to have to consider extending someone out to take away Harrison Barnes' stand-still jumpshots. He's a good player anyway but if he just gets to stand out there at the 3pt line uncontested all day, he'll score 40 and be the difference in the game.

kong123
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Yep, it's right. Fouls in the half ended up 11-2, I believe. If that were Duke with an edge like that, the haters would be protesting outside the arena and calling for a federal investigation.

But it's North Carolina, so no one will say anything.

you guys are saying it.

UNC is playing such poor defense, we are not getting close enough the U of W players to foul them. They are taking and making open shots from every position on the court. UNC is having to work much harder to score. However, the game is still close and I imagine UNC will make adjustments and make up the rebound difference in the second half.

HB is playing like a pro right now.

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 01:09 PM
you guys are saying it.

UNC is playing such poor defense, we are not getting close enough the U of W players to foul them. They are taking and making open shots from every position on the court. UNC is having to work much harder to score. However, the game is still close and I imagine UNC will make adjustments and make up the rebound difference in the second half.

We're saying it. I'm sure Huskies fans are, too. If it were Duke, we'd be reading it from sportswriters and fans all over the country about how K owns the refs or whatever.

kong123
03-20-2011, 01:13 PM
its fine, i wouldn't expect anything other than this from people on this board. don't bother watching the game, don't bother to do anything other than look at the box score. it's all in the numbers, right guys?

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I do agree that because UW is getting such open looks due to effective offense and poor defense, there will be less fouls called on UNC. But I also agree with the notion that it seems like everytime a UNC big is around the rim on offense, a foul is called on UW.

It will be interesting to see if UNC raises its defensive intensity and UW misses some of their shots.

I still like Carolina by 8-12 pts

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM

A team like UW can and should run against North Carolina off loose-ball turnovers and when Carolina misses its outside shots and UW snags the rebound. It is the forced pushes that UW needs to avoid -- along with taking bad shots, which gives North Carolina its break.

In the first half, UW actually let UNC out-hustle them. Zeller was beating the Huskies' bigs down the floor and Carolina was winning the 50/50 balls. I think if UW can step up the hustle, continue to shoot well and step up the pressure on Harrison Barnes' shot, they will win.

House G
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
its fine, i wouldn't expect anything other than this from people on this board. don't bother watching the game, don't bother to do anything other than look at the box score. it's all in the numbers, right guys?

Yeah, Carolina's defense is so bad they don't get close enough to foul. I'll buy that.

RoyalBlue08
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I know people on this board don't want to read it, but whenever there is this big of a discrepancy in the fouls, if there is any bias by the refs it is to even it up more to avoid controversy. Honestly I just don't think UNC fouled anyone in the first half. I do think this says something about their lack of intensity on the defensive end thus far.

Honestly, I think the "team X gets all the calls" argument is the silliest one in college basketball. The refs miss calls all the time, but to suggest there is some sort of bias is just emotion IMO.

MulletMan
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM

You know, kong, I'm not really sure what your deal has been since Duke handed it to UNC last weekend, but if you continue to come on DBR and be antagonistic, you're probably going to catch flack from the DBR posters.

Why are you posting on a Duke board during a UNC game anyway? Not enjoying the level of discourse over on IC?

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 01:28 PM
you guys are saying it.

He'll be one in a few months.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Wow, UNC now has 3 fouls already in the second half. Incredible.

And I just turned on the TV and see Ol Roy is channeling his inner Sylvia with that U-G-L-Y jacket. Jeez, I think maybe I'll go back to ESPN's gametracker so I don't have to see that!

freshmanjs
03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
"He's got the arms of an orangatang, the heart of a lion, and the bouncability of a trampoline." -- Clark Kellog on John Henson

Another gem of insight.

he was talking about charles barkley

kong123
03-20-2011, 01:34 PM
he was talking about Charles Barkley

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I know people on this board don't want to read it, but whenever there is this big of a discrepancy in the fouls, if there is any bias by the refs it is to even it up more to avoid controversy. Honestly I just don't think UNC fouled anyone in the first half. I do think this says something about their lack of intensity on the defensive end thus far.

Honestly, I think the "team X gets all the calls" argument is the silliest one in college basketball. The refs miss calls all the time, but to suggest there is some sort of bias is just emotion IMO.

Well guess what, the refs are trying to even up the fouls with non-shooting fouls against UNC which have very little impact on the game.

RoyalBlue08
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
If there was just a way to mute the announcers but leave the crowd noise, whistles, and other ambient noise; I would take that option on nearly ever telecast of college basketball.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Interesting subplot: I do believe that Terrence Ross is wanting to challenge Barnes. Undoubtedly goes back to HS days, and Ross with chip on shoulder because of attention to Barnes. I'd bet on Barnes to win this match, but Ross is fired up.

tbyers11
03-20-2011, 01:41 PM
If there was just a way to mute the announcers but leave the crowd noise, whistles, and other ambient noise; I would take that option on nearly ever telecast of college basketball.

If you could also hear the public address announcer so that you were able to tell who fouls were called on, I am with you 100%

devildownunder
03-20-2011, 01:42 PM

RoyalBlue, I actually don't think Washington is being hosed. I just know that if Duke had that kind of foul edge in a game, fans all over the country would be calling it a conspiracy. I wanted to point out the double standard.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Couple of terrible decisions with the ball by the Huskies the last two trips down.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Barnes is clutch, gotta love that guys game!!!

Should be a great finish, might come down to a buzzer beater :)

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think that if UNC loses today, HB would go pro b/c it would be put a sour taste in his mouth and I don't think he would have gotten enough exposure. I think an E8 run at least would give him enough time on TV and also a decent season.

With the impending lockout and such, it'll take a lot to get kids to leave. I see a 30 point game vs the Syracuse zone on primetime to get his stock up only to see them lose to Sullinger and Co.

gumbomoop
Two straight - foolish, inattentive - unforced turnovers by UW. I'm skeptical that they understand how to win. UNC's endgame is consistently efficient.

Edit: make that three inattentive, dumb-butt TOs. No clue how to play to win.

SMO
Couple of terrible decisions with the ball by the Huskies the last two trips down.

Wow! 3 clear fouls on UNC just went uncalled with between 4-5 minutes left. I hope Duke gets some of that home cookin'.

wilson
RoyalBlue, I actually don't think Washington is being hosed. I just know that if Duke had that kind of foul edge in a game, fans all over the country would be calling it a conspiracy. I wanted to point out the double standard.These are my thoughts exactly. unc is doing a much better job of playing to the way the game is being called, as we typically do.
Washington is shockingly lacking in mental discipline. I wonder if they've ever heard of half-court offense.

SMO
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
These are my thoughts exactly. unc is doing a much better job of playing to the way the game is being called, as we typically do.
Washington is shockingly lacking in mental discipline. I wonder if they've ever heard of half-court offense.

It also looks like they are coming down with a case of butter fingers at the wrong time. Big stage might be getting to them.

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think that if UNC loses today, HB would go pro b/c it would be put a sour taste in his mouth and I don't think he would have gotten enough exposure. I think an E8 run at least would give him enough time on TV and also a decent season.

With the impending lockout and such, it'll take a lot to get kids to leave. I see a 30 point game vs the Syracuse zone on primetime to get his stock up only to see them lose to Sullinger and Co.

He is gone, top 5 pick! Regardless of when the season ends for UNC, he is outta here

Chris Randolph
03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
There is a reason UW is a #7 seed and UNC is a #2 seed.....

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I've heard this song WAAAAY too many times before.

moonpie23
03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
that looks about like game.....

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Henson, Barnes, Zeller, and Marshall are all first round picks. Not sure why any of them would come back.

sporthenry
This is Carolina's MO all year. Keep it close and with 5 minutes to go, just capitalize on every opponents mistake. But a team will do what we did and put it on them in the first half that they won't be able to dig themselves out.

loran16
Washington hasn't played great down the stretch. But still, they're losing ENTIRELY due to the freaking Referees. One point game and of course in the first half, the fouls were 10 on Washington and 2 on UNC. Oh that's fair.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Couple of things. Why attack immediately when there is plenty of time to run a set play? If you score to quick UNC has plenty of TOs and you know Barnes can drain a game winner? And I think the Huskies just got a gift getting the ball back.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Can't even get the ball inbounds. Jeez!!!

NashvilleDevil
Did he just throw the ball at Henson?

SMO
Washington hasn't played great down the stretch. But still, they're losing ENTIRELY due to the freaking Referees. One point game and of course in the first half, the fouls were 10 on Washington and 2 on UNC. Oh that's fair.

Plus the fact that they are choking it away.

sporthenry
Henson came down on the end line. Don't you get 3 feet or something?

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Nah, I think it was a legit/fair (and very good) play by Henson.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
No clue how to win. No understanding even of how to get ball in over the very difficult Henson. No clue. UNC's endgame, including defense, always smart, efficient.

Edit: No clue, including that midcourt shot, 2 seconds too soon. No clue.

Edit #2: Even that last-half-second shot, the shooter wasn't behind the line. No clue. UW made 5 or 6 lazy, clueless plays in last 4 minutes. They got plenty of skill, played UNC an exciting game, but their lack of understanding of how to win was evident multiple times in endgame.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Nah, I think it was a legit/fair (and very good) play by Henson.

I honestly don't. I know nobody will call it but he was on the endline.

ChrisP
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
What in the WORLD was THAT??? A half court underhanded heave? Dude...

SMO
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Not in Charlotte:D

Nice 1/2 court shot with 3 seconds left. Then Henson almost touched it. Talk about stupidity.

SuperTurkey
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Nice 1/2 court shot with 3 seconds left. Then Henson almost touched it. Talk about stupidity.

Almost touched it - he totally touched it. Not enough to give Washington any help, though.

Gthoma2a
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Then a goaltend for the win.

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I honestly don't. I know nobody will call it but he was on the endline.

wrong, but doesn't matter, we get to play Syracuse at Syracuse next week- sounds like fun

Chris Randolph
Great play by Henson, dumb by UW. Had 3 chances at getting the win and didn't get up a single good shot.

As stated a few posts back, their is a reason that UW is a #7 seed

ChrisP
Not a goal tend but still, that was a DUMB move by Henson. It was only a 2 pt shot anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered but still...not a smart play.

devildownunder
What a tragedy of errors by Washington. They did all they could to blow that one.

Oh well. Let's just hope Duke gets out of Charlotte with a win as well.

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Then a goaltend for the win.

the refs missed a goal tend in the first half, everything equaled out.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I agree with Bilas who said this is one of the worst years in college basketball and that this NBA rule is ruining the game. It sure makes for exciting games but so many turnovers with the game on the line and players with no understanding of the game. Between Butler/Pitt to half court shots with 5 seconds left (although he might have been trying to get it off before he was fouled) to Henson touching the shot and Henson again almost getting a goaltending.

g-money
03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Take a look at your tivo...the timekeeper cut a whole second off the clock at the end there.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
They're talking about it now. TERRRIBLE officiating on that last sequence. Should have been 1.4 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds. You ALWAYS review the clock to make sure you get the time right. Huge difference between 0.5 and 1.4 seconds. Still, Washington did everything they could to lose. Not saying they would have won, but makes a big difference if you have over a second. Washington's coach made some crucial errors. Should have demanded them to look at the monitor.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Take a look at your tivo...the timekeeper cut a whole second off the clock at the end there.

Greg Anthony just mentioned that on the post game. Should have been 1.1 on the clock and not .5

moonpie23
03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
two ALMOST errors by henson, but still, holes got this game at the end...

wilson
I've heard lots of good things about Lorenzo Romar. After watching today's game, I have no idea why. Washington had zero discipline in any phase of the game and was utterly clueless with regard to any kind of systematic play or situational game management. Truly abysmal. An even decently coached team would have beaten the heels under those circumstances.

devildownunder
wrong, but doesn't matter, we get to play Syracuse at Syracuse next week- sounds like fun

If Syracuse wins its game, the sweet 16 matchup will be in Newark, not at the Carrier Dome. That is a HUGE difference.

Sgt. Dingleberry
Two straight - foolish, inattentive - unforced turnovers by UW. I'm skeptical that they understand how to win. UNC's endgame is consistently efficient.

Edit: make that three inattentive, dumb-butt TOs. No clue how to play to win.

Yeah. This reminded me of the Miami and Clemson games in the acc tourney. Another chokejob by a team down the stretch.

arnie
03-20-2011, 02:25 PM
What a tragedy of errors by Washington. They did all they could to blow that one.

Oh well. Let's just hope Duke gets out of Charlotte with a win as well.

Maybe the worst coached team I've seen - certainly, the player didn't understand how much time he had left (got to blame that on the coach). Makes you really appreciate who we have!

loran16
Greg Anthony just mentioned that on the post game. Should have been 1.1 on the clock and not .5

Kenny Smith is making a big deal over it. Kenny Smith from UNC!

sporthenry

How is it wrong? Henson swung his arms forward and broke the inside plane before the ball broke the plane. Heck, he might have touched the ball before it broke the plane. I'm know its wishful thinking asking for that call and it probably just seems like sour grapes from a Duke fan, but I hate that call not being enforced at any time.

MChambers

I generally agree with this. I watched the first half, and I did not see many obvious fouls not called on UNC. There were one or two whistles I thought could've gone against them, but that is all, and that is certainly not out of the norm for any basketball game involving any team. On the other hand, Kendall Marshall should be called for holding the ball several times a game.

superdave
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Romar seemed to forget to coach down the stretch. He's got to monitor the clock and keep his guys settled down. I thought Washington played rattled as soon as they lost the lead.

Carolina looks an awful lot like the team that started slowly out of the gate in the ACCT. They got away with some bonehead play today, but I dont see them getting away with sluggish play against better teams.

Vincetaylor
Now CBS is showing the refs screwed Washington out of .7 seconds at the end. Homecooking again for the Heels. Put an asterisk next to this one.

Bluedog
Maybe the worst coached team I've seen - certainly, the player didn't understand how much time he had left (got to blame that on the coach). Makes you really appreciate who we have!

I think he was trying to get the foul call on the 3. He knew how much time was left but was trying to get fouled. That's what it looked like to me, at least. I think it was generally smart as his defender was precariously close, but he wasn't fouled.

moonpie23
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Now CBS is showing the refs screwed Washington out of .7 seconds at the end. Homecooking again for the Heels. Put an asterisk next to this one.

you do realize that there are so many asterisks in sports that they are totally meaningless......right?

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm know its wishful thinking asking for that call and it probably just seems like sour grapes from a Duke fan, but I hate that call not being enforced at any time.

i imagine if a Plumlee tipped the in-bound pass and it led to a turnover, you would be singing a different tune.

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:30 PM

is Duke playing in the same gym? think the UNC refs and clock guy will do the next game?

moonpie23
03-20-2011, 02:30 PM
easy kong.....you got your win....

you and all the holes fans look tired out from that game tho......y'all should head on home..... :)

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
i imagine if a Plumlee tipped the in-bound pass and it led to a turnover, you would be singing a different tune.

Well obviously, I'd be happy it wasn't enforced but I just find it unfair that a 7' can stand there without anyone making sure he doesn't break the plane. I credit Roy for putting Henson there as it was a smart play and I guess its like how Duke abuses the offensive foul call in UNC fan's eyes. Sometimes good coaching is knowing what you can get away with.

arnie
I think he was trying to get the foul call on the 3. He knew how much time was left but was trying to get fouled. That's what it looked like to me, at least. I think it was generally smart as his defender was precariously close, but he wasn't fouled.

It was generally smart to try to get fouled on a 3-point shot from mid court with 3 seconds left? I'm glad you aren't Duke's coach.

wilson

I generally agree with this. I watched the first half, and I did not see many obvious fouls not called on UNC. There were one or two whistles I thought could've gone against them, but that is all, and that is certainly not out of the norm for any basketball game involving any team. On the other hand, Kendall Marshall should be called for holding the ball several times a game.+1 on the above. Washington lost this one at least as much as carolina won it, though the heels made a series of big plays down the stretch. The refs didn't win or lose it for anyone. Washington deserved to lose. I won't go quite so far as to say that carolina's play really merited a big win today, but they got enough done. However, if I'm a heel fan, I'm not exactly ecstatic about that performance.

ns7
03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I generally agree with this. I watched the first half, and I did not see many obvious fouls not called on UNC. There were one or two whistles I thought could've gone against them, but that is all, and that is certainly not out of the norm for any basketball game involving any team. On the other hand, Kendall Marshall should be called for holding the ball several times a game.

Not surprising that UNC shot many more free throws. Washington is one of the most foul prone teams on defense and hardly gets to the line on offense.

Also, why didn't Roy slow the game down from the start? It sounds like UW bogged down as soon as they had to execute in the half court. K would have forced UW to do this from the start.

Is UNC 9-1 in one possession/OT games this year?

loran16
03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
is Duke playing in the same gym? think the UNC refs and clock guy will do the next game?

You know as well as we do that Charlotte is NOT a home game for Duke in terms of the fans. Don't joke otherwise.

We won't get a nice 10-2 foul advantage in the first half.

kmspeaks
03-20-2011, 02:36 PM
They're talking about it now. TERRRIBLE officiating on that last sequence. Should have been 1.4 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds. You ALWAYS review the clock to make sure you get the time right. Huge difference between 0.5 and 1.4 seconds. Still, Washington did everything they could to lose. Not saying they would have won, but makes a big difference if you have over a second. Washington's coach made some crucial errors. Should have demanded them to look at the monitor.

I'm trying to remember now what game it was but in one I was watching earlier this weekend a team that was down fouled and at least another second ran off the clock after the foul was called. If I'm a head coach I think I'd have an assistant coach or manager whose job is the clock. Inside one minute it's your responsibility to make sure it starts/stops on time. I'm sure it's a little more difficult at the game when you can't see the clock and the action at the same time as easily as on tv.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
It was generally smart to try to get fouled on a 3-point shot from mid court with 3 seconds left? I'm glad you aren't Duke's coach.

haha, well I don't think that should have been the gameplan. But, yes, if your defender is right in your face and you throw up a 3 a lot of the times you get a call. However, he didn't jump into the defender and there was no contact, so it was poorly executed. Do you think Howard would have gotten the foul call on the rebound if he didn't throw the ball way up in the air? I personally don't. It was a heady play by Howard to make it obvious he was fouled.

Obviously, ideally you just the best shot you can by getting as good of a look as you can so in that exact situation he should have continued to drive. I'm just saying that trying to get the foul when your defender is playing you tight isn't as incredibly stupid as some people are making it out to be. It was just incredibly poorly executed and he wasn't in the proper position to get the call so he should have continued to dribble the basketball.

Edit: Now Washington's coach says he asked the refs to review the clock and they said they already looked at it? Something doesn't sound right....

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
You know as well as we do that Charlotte is NOT a home game for Duke in terms of the fans. Don't joke otherwise.

We won't get a nice 10-2 foul advantage in the first half.

again, its a bias? you guys claim we are haters when we say the same thing about Duke getting calls, but isn't it fair to say that you are just as guilty?

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Well they talked to John Adams and he said that one coach has to request a clock review. Greg Anthony said that his tone suggested that the refs should have done it without being asked. Then Romar comes on and says that they requested the review of the clock and I guess it either did not happen or the officials really thought that there was .5 seconds left.

Edit: Bluedog beat me to the clock issue.

marinbobbyduhon
03-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to remember now what game it was but in one I was watching earlier this weekend a team that was down fouled and at least another second ran off the clock after the foul was called. If I'm a head coach I think I'd have an assistant coach or manager whose job is the clock. Inside one minute it's your responsibility to make sure it starts/stops on time. I'm sure it's a little more difficult at the game when you can't see the clock and the action at the same time as easily as on tv.

Romar just said in an interview that his coaches asked if the time was right and the officials said that they had checked it. This smells a bit to me...

dairedevil
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
NCAA's - survive and advance - and that's what unc managed to do. I should be pleased for the ACC, but, no matter how hard I try, I can't cheer for the heels or celebrate the victory. For a while I thought Washington had a chance to put it away. It looked like they were grabbing every unc miss, but couldn't convert on their end enough. Then, barnes hits a 3, the gap in the score gets closed, and momentum shifts. Sigh.

kong123
03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
NCAA's - survive and advance - and that's what unc managed to do. I should be pleased for the ACC, but, no matter how hard I try, I can't cheer for the heels or celebrate the victory. For a while I thought Washington had a chance to put it away. It looked like they were grabbing every unc miss, but couldn't convert on their end enough. Then, barnes hits a 3, the gap in the score gets closed, and momentum shifts. Sigh.

how good is Marshall? 14 assists in a big game.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Generally momentum shifts involve a serious run, with a dramatic shot or 2. In this case, the momentum shift was 3 unforced UW turnovers between the 4:30 and 2:30 mark, in every case a lost dribble near the top of the key, because of lack of focus. Three lost FGAs. The last 30 seconds should have been UNC needing a score, but UNC knows how to take advantage of opponents' miscues. UW screwed up royally, but UNC had to - and did - capitalize on UW's gifts.

arnie
03-20-2011, 03:46 PM
haha, well I don't think that should have been the gameplan. But, yes, if your defender is right in your face and you throw up a 3 a lot of the times you get a call. However, he didn't jump into the defender and there was no contact, so it was poorly executed. Do you think Howard would have gotten the foul call on the rebound if he didn't throw the ball way up in the air? I personally don't. It was a heady play by Howard to make it obvious he was fouled.

Obviously, ideally you just the best shot you can by getting as good of a look as you can so in that exact situation he should have continued to drive. I'm just saying that trying to get the foul when your defender is playing you tight isn't as incredibly stupid as some people are making it out to be. It was just incredibly poorly executed and he wasn't in the proper position to get the call so he should have continued to dribble the basketball.

Edit: Now Washington's coach says he asked the refs to review the clock and they said they already looked at it? Something doesn't sound right....

Agree - they obviously didn't look at the clock! The heels get all the calls!

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 03:59 PM
John Adams just said that it was the timekeeper who said the time was correct at the end of the game. Wonder who he was cheering for. You can't watch that replay and not say time should have been added.

anon
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
The refs weren't great today, but—make no mistake about it—UW lost because of awful coaching. Timeouts were poorly utilized, the team lost focus, and the endgame strategy... well, it seemed like there wasn't any strategy. Credit Carolina for winning, but you can be sure Boeheim will do better.

Watching this kind of game makes you appreciate our coaching staff so much more.

Edit: Along with that kind of enthusiasm and motivation from K.

DukeUsul
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
John Adams just said that it was the timekeeper who said the time was correct at the end of the game. Wonder who he was cheering for. You can't watch that replay and not say time should have been added.

The important point being that the clock doesn't stop when the ball hits out of bounds, it stops when the ref blows the whistle. So I think the official response is that there's nothing wrong with a difference between when the ball hits and when the clock stops, because of the human error.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
The important point being that the clock doesn't stop when the ball hits out of bounds, it stops when the ref blows the whistle. So I think the official response is that there's nothing wrong with a difference between when the ball hits and when the clock stops, because of the human error.

Well Greg Anthony tried to bring up an example and the head of officials pretty much blew him off about what if the official blows the whistle before it went out of bounds, then wouldn't the clock be reset to when it hits out of bound. The guy said a bunch of other things would have happened like alternate possession would have been used? It was a cute way of skirting the issue.

But lets say that the referee was busy trying to see who hit it and never blew the whistle before time runs out, is the game over? Then what happens? I assume the clock gets reset to 1.2 or 1.1 seconds? So UW would have been better if the ref just didn't blow his whistle?

SCMatt33
03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Well Greg Anthony tried to bring up an example and the head of officials pretty much blew him off about what if the official blows the whistle before it went out of bounds, then wouldn't the clock be reset to when it hits out of bound. The guy said a bunch of other things would have happened like alternate possession would have been used? It was a cute way of skirting the issue.

But lets say that the referee was busy trying to see who hit it and never blew the whistle before time runs out, is the game over? Then what happens? I assume the clock gets reset to 1.2 or 1.1 seconds? So UW would have been better if the ref just didn't blow his whistle?

The answer to the fist part actually wasn't skirting the issue. If the whistle had blown before that ball went out, The play would have been over before the ball went out of bounds, rendering that part of the play moot. Since no one would have had possession when the whistle blew, the arrow would determine who got possession with the clock being reset to when the whistle blew.

For the answer to the second part, I think you should just ask Rutgers about it:p

House G
03-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I have a conundrum. As a Duke fan, I always want Carolina to lose their next game. Obviously, we have to win 2 more games to get to the Final Four. If Carolina were to play Ohio State, who should I pull for? I think we can beat Carolina in the FF but believe OSU would be a tougher out. Any advice?

NYC Duke Fan
03-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Ohio State up by 26 at the half.

1 against an 8

DukeCrow
03-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Well, in the Rutgers/St. John's game, they said that since the refs didn't blow the whistle before the clock ran out, the game was over; and it wasn't reviewable.

I don't know if that's true or just a way to explain away the mistake.

wilson
03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a conundrum. As a Duke fan, I always want Carolina to lose their next game. Obviously, we have to win 2 more games to get to the Final Four. If Carolina were to play Ohio State, who should I pull for? I think we can beat Carolina in the FF but believe OSU would be a tougher out. Any advice?There is no question. Do not root for carolina in any sport under any circumstances.
I think Syracuse is going to have something to say about this anyway.

House G
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
There is no question. Do not root for carolina in any sport under any circumstances.
I think Syracuse is going to have something to say about this anyway.

I knew that would be the response but I had to ask-lol.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Ohio State up by 26 at the half.

1 against an 8

Big deal. Duke was playing a team from a power conference and Ohio St. is playing a mid-major that has an injury to one of their top players. Pitt lost to last year's runner-up so please tell me why Ohio St being up by 26 in a 1v8 is important?

cspan37421
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Check out the box score of OSU v GMU. Wow, I don't care who GM is missing, OSU is a machine. 23 assists on 36 made shots; they shot 61% from 2 and 3! They only committed 11 fouls for the entire game.

I think we're accustomed to feeling OSU is overrated in FB and BB ... but this team looks like the real deal. If we're good enough and lucky enough to face them, it will be a monumental challenge.

1 24 90
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Check out the box score of OSU v GMU. Wow, I don't care who GM is missing, OSU is a machine. 23 assists on 36 made shots; they shot 61% from 2 and 3! They only committed 11 fouls for the entire game.

I think we're accustomed to feeling OSU is overrated in FB and BB ... but this team looks like the real deal. If we're good enough and lucky enough to face them, it will be a monumental challenge.

I understand OSU is very good but keep in mind that their 3 wins over Michigan were 68-64 at Michigan, 62-53 in Columbus & 68-61 in the Big Ten tourney.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Kentucky also destroyed an 8-seeded Wake Forest by like 40 points in the second round last year. You don't get a prize for looking the most impressive the first weekend. You get a prize for continuing to win your games.

wilson
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Kentucky also destroyed an 8-seeded Wake Forest by like 40 points in the second round last year. You don't get a prize for looking the most impressive the first weekend. You get a prize for continuing to win your games.Right. And I can think of another team, from the same conference as Ohio State, who won their first game in the tournament this year by 30 points, and then lost their next.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
The answer to the fist part actually wasn't skirting the issue. If the whistle had blown before that ball went out, The play would have been over before the ball went out of bounds, rendering that part of the play moot. Since no one would have had possession when the whistle blew, the arrow would determine who got possession with the clock being reset to when the whistle blew.

For the answer to the second part, I think you should just ask Rutgers about it:p

Well I think Greg Anthony was hinting at, what if the ref blows the whistle with 2 seconds left and nothing changes except it was an early whistle. Greg Anthony wasn't saying that it was an inadvertent whistle, he was just asking that if the refs didn't blow the whistle relatively close to when it went out of bounds, like say the whistle didn't work, then what happens? Again, they probably get the ball with 1.1 seconds left.

And the second issue is an obvious flaw. Anthony was just trying to get him to say that it should have been 1.1 seconds but he asked the wrong question which is why I said he skirted behind the alternate possession stuff b/c he knew the answer everyone wanted and didn't want to give it.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I'll puke if Syracuse loses this game. UNC has already had any easy enough time of it as it is. At least let them have to play a half-way decent opponent in the next round. I've got to believe Marquette would fold like the proverbial house of cards against the Heels, whereas I'd think Syracuse would give them a game.

Newton_14
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Well I think Greg Anthony was hinting at, what if the ref blows the whistle with 2 seconds left and nothing changes except it was an early whistle. Greg Anthony wasn't saying that it was an inadvertent whistle, he was just asking that if the refs didn't blow the whistle relatively close to when it went out of bounds, like say the whistle didn't work, then what happens? Again, they probably get the ball with 1.1 seconds left.

And the second issue is an obvious flaw. Anthony was just trying to get him to say that it should have been 1.1 seconds but he asked the wrong question which is why I said he skirted behind the alternate possession stuff b/c he knew the answer everyone wanted and didn't want to give it.

I thought the ball is dead the second it hits the end line rather than when the ref blows the whistle. Out of bounds is out of bounds. If Henson catches the miss with a foot on the end line, I guarantee they reset the clock to where is was at when the foot touches the line. It makes no sense to me that you have to wait upon the ref. It is a dead ball situation.

The clock is supposed to stop on dead balls and out of bounds is a dead ball situation. The ref's should have went to the monitor either way though. There is too much at stake to not use every avenue available to get it correct.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I thought the ball is dead the second it hits the end line rather than when the ref blows the whistle. Out of bounds is out of bounds. If Henson catches the miss with a foot on the end line, I guarantee they reset the clock to where is was at when the foot touches the line. It makes no sense to me that you have to wait upon the ref. It is a dead ball situation.

The clock is supposed to stop on dead balls and out of bounds is a dead ball situation. The ref's should have went to the monitor either way though. There is too much at stake to not use every avenue available to get it correct.

Totally agree. I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the "whistle" stops the clock as opposed to the ball hitting out of bounds. I get it that initially the timekeeper should be listening for the whistle. But I don't get how the refs shouldn't go back and look at the tape and set the clock based on what they can clearly see.

SCMatt33
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Syracuse better not blow this. carolina does not deserve to get Marquette.

superdave
03-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Cuse is making some plays. Now let's see that zone get some stops!

simmias
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Marquette's better than its seed. I think they can give the 'holes a game, especially in front of an unfriendly crowd.

Off-topic: how good have the games today been!

SCMatt33
03-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Marquette's better than its seed. I think they can give the 'holes a game, especially in front of an unfriendly crowd.

Off-topic: how good have the games today been!

Normally I would agree, but Marquette has NO size. They would be lucky to get 10 rebounds.

_Gary
03-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Well, the Heels have just been given another present. It wasn't enough that Washington folded earlier today, now they get to play Marquette instead of Syracuse (who would have given them fits). How many chicken heads has Roy used up to work his voodoo over the last 8 hours? :p

jipops
03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, the Heels have just been given another present. It wasn't enough that Washington folded earlier today, now they get to play Marquette instead of Syracuse (who would have given them fits). How many chicken heads has Roy used up to work his voodoo over the last 8 hours? :p

Thems the breaks I guess. I fully expect the Heels to destroy Marquette. This is a far more favorable matchup than Syracuse would have been.

gumbomoop
Yet another example of an emerging theme in this year's tourney: lack of understanding among players of basic rules, court sense, focus.

Cuse player with backcourt violation when receiving inbounds pass at midcourt - because he did not know that all he had to do was allow the ball to bounce into backcourt and retrieve it there. Instead, he tiptoed along the midcourt line, got a toe over, lost possession, and thus the game.

SCMatt33
Marquette better shoot about 60% from three point land otherwise I'm not watching that game next week. It won't be good.

SuperTurkey
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Thems the breaks I guess. I fully expect the Heels to destroy Marquette. This is a far more favorable matchup than Syracuse would have been.

If so, it just means they'll get absolutely spanked by OSU.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Yet another example of an emerging theme in this year's tourney: lack of understanding among players of basic rules, court sense, focus.

Cuse player with backcourt violation when receiving inbounds pass at midcourt - because he did not know that all he had to do was allow the ball to bounce into backcourt and retrieve it there. Instead, he tiptoed along the midcourt line, got a toe over, lost possession, and thus the game.

Yes, I really don't understand how a player wouldn't know he's allowed to simply catch the ball in the backcourt. Question though. To me, it looked like the player was airborne and landed with one foot on the line and the rest of his body in the frontcourt. How is that over and back? because he took off from the front court?

_Gary
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM

That's assuming they don't lay an egg against Kentucky. I just can't believe the luck of UNC in getting such a favorable matchup for a Sweet Sixteen game. Marquette really doesn't have a prayer with their lack of size and pressuring defense, which will not work against UNC. I honestly believe the Heels would have lost against Syracuse. Excuse me now while I go puke.

SCMatt33
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM

With carolina's luck, Kentucky will beat OSU. Then on the off day, Knight, Jones, and Lamb will be caught getting envelopes of cash from an agent and be suspended for the Elite 8.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes, I really don't understand how a player wouldn't know he's allowed to simply catch the ball in the backcourt. Question though. To me, it looked like the player was airborne and landed with one foot on the line and the rest of his body in the frontcourt. How is that over and back? because he took off from the front court?

Actually, I agree with you. The rule states

'After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his/her front
court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the
playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one
or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down
was in the front court or back court.'

It appears it was his first foot that came down on the line. I know you have to establish position in the backcourt but this rule states not during a throw in. If anyone could enlighten?

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Hate to say it, but I can totally see UNC beating Ohio State. I thought Syracuse was the one team in the East who could beat them. I know it's looking way ahead, but a duke/unc final four game is on the horizon if both teams take care of business next weekend.

wallyman
03-20-2011, 10:03 PM
With carolina's luck, Kentucky will beat OSU. Then on the off day, Knight, Jones, and Lamb will be caught getting envelopes of cash from an agent and be suspended for the Elite 8.

This may be the hardest bracket in history to find someone to root for.
Ohio State -- The #1 Number One. Don't want them to win.
Kentucky. Enough said.
North Carolina. Enough said squared.

Impossible to think Marquette has two miracles left, but maybe there's a chance they have one left vs. the Heels.

SuperTurkey
03-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Well, then, hopefully they'll get to meet a fully reintegrated Kyrie Irving and co in the Final Four.

Duvall
03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Hate to say it, but I can totally see UNC beating Ohio State.

Why? I mean, I don't see it. UNC hasn't beaten a single good team on a neutral court, let alone a team as good as Ohio State. Buckeyes seem locked in right now.

Bluedog
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Pomeroy says it wasn't a backcourt violation.

http://twitter.com/kenpomeroy

"@kenpomeroy

Can't be a backcourt violation on the inbounds. #Syracuse #Marquette"

Maybe they called a travel? I have no idea. Or the ref doesn't know the rule.

anon
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Pomeroy says it wasn't a backcourt violation.

http://twitter.com/kenpomeroy

"@kenpomeroy

Can't be a backcourt violation on the inbounds. #Syracuse #Marquette"

Maybe they called a travel? I have no idea. Or the ref doesn't know the rule.

The ref signaled for backcourt.

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll post this again

The rule states

'After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his/her front
court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the
playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one
or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down
was in the front court or back court.'

It appears it was his first foot that came down on the line first and the next two were in front of the line.

He did travel after the call but the whistle had already been blown.

Trinity'10
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Here's the call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH14tWZafjA

sporthenry
03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Here's the call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH14tWZafjA

The worst part about this call is that it appears the ref didn't know the rule. Most of the time, the refs just miss something, but he apparently didn't know the rules.

SCMatt33
03-20-2011, 10:43 PM
The way Cuse played at the end I have no confidence that they would have won even if the right call was made.

Vincetaylor
03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Why? I mean, I don't see it. UNC hasn't beaten a single good team on a neutral court, let alone a team as good as Ohio State. Buckeyes seem locked in right now.

UNC has better players...4 1st round NBA picks. We are the only team to beat their new line up. UNC beat them last year and I honestly think they've added more than OSU has. Barnes+Marshall>Sullinger. I hope I'm wrong.

gumbomoop
03-20-2011, 10:57 PM
UNC has better players...4 1st round NBA picks. We are the only team to beat their new line up. UNC beat them last year and I honestly think they've added more than OSU has. Barnes+Marshall>Sullinger. I hope I'm wrong.

I do not know whether tOSU and UNC will meet. But if they do, I think folks unfamiliar with frosh PG Aaron Craft will be impressed. As I posted earlier, Craft was 1st team All-Big 10 frosh, conference 6th man of the year [playing starter minutes], and first team All-Big 10 defensive team. Barnes and Sullinger are fine, fine players. So is Marshall. So is Craft. Really.

LSanders
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Sullinger = Kardashian ... Should be an interesting experience for Henson (the string bean).

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Sullinger = Kardashian ... Should be an interesting experience for Henson (the string bean).

Can already hear are the whistles being blown against....Sullinger

ChicagoHeel
03-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I've been traveling for work and so missed a good bit of the recent DBR discussion. I was just reading through some of the posts and had a couple thoughts.

The constant complaints about the officials and UNC getting all the calls is so tiresome. Yes, the refs make mistakes, such as the 0.5 seconds that UW was awarded at the end of the game. But the officiating is rarely a factor in deciding the outcome. UNC won because it executed better in the half-court down the stretch- it's just that simple. If you are a die-hard fan the officiating is always the same:

1. the calls that work in my team's favor are good calls
2. the calls against my team are at best questionable and sometimes blatantly wrong
3. my team never gets enough good calls and gets shafted at least a couple times a game
4. my team's rival gets all the calls

Just to be consistent, I also don't like it when UNC fans belittle Duke's ability to draw charges by saying it's due to poor officiating. It's good coaching and smart players...except when it's against UNC because then it is almost always complete b.s. Ha, ha.

Other thoughts...don't discount the quality of UNC's win. We beat an experienced athletic team that matched up well against us and played well for most of the game. Yes, Washington tightened up down the stretch, but they hit a lot of shots prior to that. All in all, it was a very good win.

Obviously there is a lot of basketball left to play, but we are two games closer to a Duke-UNC FF. My heart would not survive that one. Don't think we can beat OSU- we don't defend the three well enough. But if OSU comes in over-confident against Kentucky and loses, who knows?

Zeller Hacks Thomas!!

dukelion
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm sure most UNC fans are thrilled with playing an 11 seed at this point in the tourney but they are certainly in for a battle.

Don't let the 11 seed fool you, according to more reliable metrics (Kenpom and Vegas) UNC is only favoured by 3-6 points....same as their spread against Washington. By comparison we are a 10 point favourite over Arizona.....same as we were against Michigan.

Although I was excited to see the Syracuse zone give UNC fits, Marquette also plays quite a bit of zone and is just a real tough tough team.

They are playing with nothing to lose and UNC's biggeast weaknesses, 3pt shooting and overall toughness, could be well exploited by Marquette. UNC also has to be weary of looking a head.

I'm not going to project a win but I will project a game that's close under the 4 minute TO.

tommy
03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
This region is just impossible to know who to root for.

Normally I root against all the other #1 seeds, especially ones I think could beat Duke, which obviously would mean rooting against Ohio State. Get them out of the way.

But they're playing Kentucky. What self-respecting Duke fan could ever root for Kentucky, especially under Calipari?

Then there's the Carolina factor. Of course I would normally root against them on principle alone. But you'd have to think they'd have a better chance to beat Ohio State than would Marquette, so if the goal is to maximize our chances of winning it all, you'd have to root for UNC, right?

I don't want to root for any of these teams in any way, shape, or form, except Marquette, for whom I always will have a soft spot due to its cultivation of that cultural icon Al McGuire. What to do, what to do???

1 24 90
03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
This region is just impossible to know who to root for.

Normally I root against all the other #1 seeds, especially ones I think could beat Duke, which obviously would mean rooting against Ohio State. Get them out of the way.

But they're playing Kentucky. What self-respecting Duke fan could ever root for Kentucky, especially under Calipari?

Then there's the Carolina factor. Of course I would normally root against them on principle alone. But you'd have to think they'd have a better chance to beat Ohio State than would Marquette, so if the goal is to maximize our chances of winning it all, you'd have to root for UNC, right?

I don't want to root for any of these teams in any way, shape, or form, except Marquette, for whom I always will have a soft spot due to its cultivation of that cultural icon Al McGuire. What to do, what to do???

If I had to pick a team other than Marquette to face in the national semis, I would have to go with Kentucky. As gross as that is, it's the way I feel.

gofurman
03-22-2011, 12:02 AM
If I had to pick a team other than Marquette to face in the national semis, I would have to go with Kentucky. As gross as that is, it's the way I feel. yep - me too. let's just go one at a time though. Zona scares me.

good karma, everyone wear their lucky underwear THURSDAY @!A

JayBean
03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
yep - me too. let's just go one at a time though. Zona scares me.

good karma, everyone wear their lucky underwear THURSDAY @!A

Don't worry. I've been wearing mine nonstop since the ACC tournament.

EDIT: Let's carry the discussion in the Sweet 16 thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24978-Sweet-16-discussion-thread) And Eww...