PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 75, UNC 58 - ACC Champs!

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Acc champs!!!!!!!

kong123
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Congratulations guys.

1 24 90
03-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Did you notice how Prince Harry wouldn't look Nolan in the eye in the hand shake line?

Poincaré
And how sweet it is. Woohoo!

deezl
Winning!

BleedsP287
Nolan for President

Les Grossman
So proud!! awesome D

RoyalBlue08
03-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Congrats to the Blue Devils. Great team effort and they definitely deserve the ACC championship.

House G
Peaking at the right time of the year--deja vu.

terrih
Wow! What an incredible, incredible great performance from this team. We knew they had all the parts- they put it together wonderfully today.

So, so, so excited for these guys!

-TerriH

dukeimac
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I said it on the other thread, and I'll repeat it here. The key was to stop Marshall, and get the ball out of his hands. Yes, Duke did a lot of stuff right today, and I mean a lot but as Dickie V said, getting it out of the play makers hands was key.

Awesome defense by everyone. Miles played like a whole new person this tourney. They may just have put it all together to make the run.

Utley
03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
What a great time to have your best game of the season! The level of play reminded me of WVU in last year's FF.

Nolan and K hugging was a special moment - so happy for him.

Got to be a #1 with that kind of victory.

Newton_14
HOW FREAKIN SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Blue Devils!!!!! Took the fight to UNC today and showed great heart! Awesome Awesome win!!!!

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO STRAIGHT TO FREAKIN HELL!!!!!!

Bluedevil114
Yes!! Congrats to Duke on their 19th ACC Tournament Championship. It is so great to be a Duke fan!!

Nolan was incredible. Kyle played great defense. Plumlees have really gotten better over the past 30 days.

Big shots by Kelly, Dawkins and Curry.

Defense really looked great today.

cptnflash
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
What a great team performance all weekend! Congratulations guys!

obsesseddukefan
Great team play today. Everything clicked at the perfect time. Note to NCAA committee: I think we will take that #1 seed now. :D

Proud to be a Duke fan. Forever Duke!

Oh yeah UNC...thanks for dancing before the game.

wsb3
wonderful exchange with Coach K and Nolan and also with Nolan & Roy. Lot of respect there and when your rival coach talks to you and hugs you that way that is a classy thing.

Thank You Duke.

ice-9
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow, what an impressive win - how about our bigs, our shooters hitting huge shots, Nolan managing the game, and Singler doing all the little things! Our defense was fantastic in this game!!

SCMatt33
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
LET'S GO!!!!! I'll be pretty disappointed if they keep us off the top line now. I think we saw a big time correction in jump shooting percentages from the first two days.

pamtar
03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Our house!!!!

DevilHorns
We are PEAKING.

Nolan on Kendall was incredible. The Plumlees are playing as good as they have all year. I'm feeling good about our chances for that last #1 seed.

ChicagoHeel
Congratulations. That was an impressive team effort, with emphasis on both the words team and effort. Duke fought hard for forty minutes and deserved to win. That many people contribute on a consistent basis and Duke will be tough to beat.

As for UNC we have to figure out how to start better. This one was lost in the first ten minutes, as our previous two almost were. It's really a head scratcher. Not sure if it is a function of inexperience or something else, but it a serious problem that we don't have much time to solve.

bamadukefan
03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
This smile is gonna last for a while. This is so much sweeter to take it to UNC like this. Congrats to the guys. Great team play. Go Duke

JamminJoe
Awesome performance by the entire team. The all-around game by Smith is incredible - controlling the game, scoring, and terrific defense. #1 seed and ACC champs!

Duke76
Clinic by staff, clinc by players, starters and reserves. Kendall Marshall won't forget this day...our reserves got back their 3's and confidence....best win of the yr, great mo!,,sweet!,,

bjornolf
I just wanted to say congratulations to our devils for the HUGE win, and their, what is it?, 18th ACC championship? Great game guys. K said in the interview that they played "decent" defense. DECENT? I thought it was GREAT defense. Anyway, so happy for our guys. Great job.

CoachJ10
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Defense wins Championships. Making shots helps as well. We did both today...way to go...true team effort.

dcdrumsinc
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
yesterday on the pregame thread. someone said one of the keys was to shoot 50% from the field. I scoffed at that comment in my mind to be honest, because when really was the last time we shot as good or better than 50% from the field the entire season? Ironically, we shot EXACTLY 50.0% from the field today. I liked how we played inside out today. Getting open 3's off of kick outs from the post. It makes us that much harder to guard

AZLA
03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
So the best game of the year. Amazing!

hedevil
Yes!!! Congratulations fellas. 10 out of 13. Very impressive. Todays team would be very tough to out in the tourney.

InSpades
I'll admit, I was worried coming into today. UNC just looked like a horrible matchup for us in the 1st 2 meetings. Nolan and Seth basically carried us to victory in the 1st one but that doesn't seem like a reliable road to victory. I thought we needed to do something different, something to change the way the game was played.

You saw it from the opening tip. The only thing we changed was the defensive intensity. But what a spectacular change it was. It looked like 2 entirely different teams out there from the 1st 2 meetings. Duke's guards just took it to UNC's guards. The big men more than held their own. Kyle more than matched Harrison.

It was great to see and has me totally pumped for the NCAA tournament. Give us our #1 seed! We earned it today.

cakerace
03-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Anybody out there love this team? They did us proud today!!!!!

PADukeMom
03-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Congrats guys! Payback is so sweet! 6 more games until I can get my Nolan Smith jersey!

On a side note...does anyone know where I can get one of those "ONE" t-shirts?

dairedevil
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
What a relief! My poor mom (84) got herself so worked up I was afraid she might have a heart attack! Now, if I can just get her to stop shaking...

Great victory - does anyone else feel that unc just gave up the last couple of minutes? The didn't even try the "foul to get the ball back"...and we weren't doing fantastic on free throws. Kinda weird....

SMO
Did you notice how Prince Harry wouldn't look Nolan in the eye in the hand shake line?

Yes! Maybe he thought he should have been ACC POTY.

The best part of this win was that all week all we heard was how UNC proved they were the best of the ACC.

Wonder if this game will send Wheat into hiding again.

sporthenry
Hopefully, this isn't peaking too early. But it is amazing how K can turn it on.

hq2
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
What a turnaround after last week's disaster. Great D on all fronts; bigs, Marshall, Barnes. Shut' em all down but Zeller, and he wasn't enough. Nice to see our bigs
play big on both ends of the floor. Classic win!

moonpie23
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
guess the black pigeon needs some more work..

micah75
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Probably not saying anything that hasn't been said or will be said.... but simply a marvelous game to watch, and I loved the contributions from the entire team. Congrats on winning the ACCT 3 straight years, and 10 of 13, I believe?

The Granddaddy of em all!

grossbus
03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
the start we all wanted!!!

nolan and kyle take kendall and prince harry out of the game.

everybody steps up.

every time they pushed, we pushed back...harder.

great game plan.

momentum!!

it is SO sweet!

AZLA
03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
The team defense today was a sight to behold. My favorite moment of the entire game was at about 4:40 left, Kelly cans a wide open three. But then hustles back on D. Duke fans are louder than ever. Curry SLAPPS the court! And there's a shot of Kelly yelling at the top of his lungs. Total intensity from the entire team. There was no doubt who owned that court today.

PADukeMom
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Who did win MVP?

kaufmjo
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Awesome to see the drives, the mid-range jumpers which then created space for threes vs. forcing them like we did last game with UNC. THe inside game was amazing, drives were powerful. That's how you beat the Big 10 or Big East monsters over the next few weeks. Great gameplan and execution

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Congratulations to the team for winning the ACC Championship!!! I really like the balance our offense has shown the past couple of games: Smith 20, Singler 11, Curry 11, Dawkins 9, Miles 9, Kelly 9 and Mason 6 points. When our players and the ball are moving simultaneously, we are a dynamic team. Throw in some tough team defense and we are extremely difficult to beat. Great win over the Tar Heels today.

_Gary
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Fantastic win! We are peaking at the right time after looking like we were digressing just a week ago at this time. I'm so proud of these guys!!

Go Duke!!!

NSDukeFan
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
What a great time to have your best game of the season! The level of play reminded me of WVU in last year's FF.

Nolan and K hugging was a special moment - so happy for him.

Got to be a #1 with that kind of victory.

I was also thinking that this reminded me of WVU last year in that it was such an overwhelming, outstanding performance. I commented in the Maryland thread that I didn't think the team's defense got enough stops. That certainly was not the case today. I believe the the team held UNC to 30 points or less in each half. Now that is defense. I agree with the poster here who commented if the team plays D like that, this team is a really tough out. Congratulations Duke! What a performance!

Wildling
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
What a way to end this weekend!

That had to be the most impressive full 40 minutes of basketball I have seen out of these guys in over a month!

Felt really, really good to watch the effort today.

sporthenry
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Again, I think the biggest move this year was putting Miles back in the starting line up. Kelly seems to be much more efficient off the bench and he doesn't clog up the perimeter to start the game. Also, Miles is pulling his best Z without the beard with the offensive boards.
And Dre getting back into it is beautiful.

Chitowndevil
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Who did win MVP?

Nolan!

Rest of the first team was Stitt (Clemson), Barnes and Zeller (ACC), and Kyle.

FYI if have the game up on ESPN3.com they will often show postgame stuff, saw the entire postgame ceremonies!

House G
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
We are PEAKING.

Nolan on Kendall was incredible. The Plumlees are playing as good as they have all year. I'm feeling good about our chances for that last #1 seed.

Lunardi still has us a 2--hard to believe.

Mic2345
03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
‎2011 Men's AND Women's Basketball ACC Champions. Both over UNC. Both season ties BROKEN!!!
About as good as a team effort you can have.

I work at UNC now, tomorrow's going to be fun :cool:

3 down 6 to go

DukeBlueHeart4
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
What a great day it is to be a Blue Devil! An amazing game! Not only were we in control for the entire game, but the Heels can't even blame the refs or say that their players had bad games. Our defensive intensity ruled the court!! The Devil has fire in his eyes so watch out boys- it's March Madness!! :D

Faison1
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Extremely satisfying win! Frankly, I don't think seeding really matters, as long as we keep playing the kind of D we've seen in the last 3 games....

and rebounding....

Utley
03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Who did win MVP?

Nolan! Kyle made first team too.

Billy Dat
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Fantastic win, the team showed me a gear I wasn't sure we'd be able to find.

First off, we started well. What a difference, and it was keyed by the defense. They weren't getting any good looks, but they also failed to convert some easy shots. Offensively, Nolan was driving and Kyle was not settling for 3s. That created lof of inside out, balanced 3 point opportunities that we were able to knock down. Plus, we were all over the offensive boards.

I felt like we got away from what made us successful for a lot of the second half. All of a sudden, Kyle was back to front rimming 3s and Carolina was really starting to assert itself on the offensive glass. We also went away from the ball movement and balance that had keyed the first half. I felt a Heel run coming.

The key sequence of the game was with 5-6 minutes left when they cut it to 9. First, Nolan drove and kicked to Seth for a 3 which stopped a 5-0 Heel run. After 2 Marshall FTs, the Black Pigeon has a clean look from 3 and it went half down which would have cut the lead to 7. We come back and Kelly hits that corner 3. That was pretty much ballgame. If the Pigeon makes that 3, the crowd explodes and we have have wilted. Not on this day.

We are looking tough. Bring on the brackets!!! We should get the #1 out West but who knows?

snowdenscold
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I had gotten pretty frustrated to see Miami and Clemson blow their leads and let UNC come back and win. If they had won the whole thing it would have just killed me.

But I forgive their collapses now since we got to spank UNC in the title game. All is right =)

77devil
03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
There, I said it. Says Duke still a #2. Jay says Duke should be seeded above Pitt and ND.

Buckeye Devil
03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
My family in Ohio has turned to being UNC fans thanks to the contamination of my niece's husband. Only me and my nephew are Duke holdouts so this was truly sweet. I already called and rubbed it in. They will hate me for that but it's ok.

Miles, Mason, Andre, Ryan, and Seth were all huge. Seth hit two big 3's and a 2 off a miss that were timely and Ryan's 3 to push it back to 16 broke their back. And what can you say about Nolan's game and Singler's defense on Barnes? Duke gets a #1 seed after that performance.

weezie
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
There, I said it. Says Duke still a #2. Jay says Duke should be seeded above Pitt and ND.

You're right. The Bracketology 101 guy is much smarter than Joey L.

BCGroup
Roy said "experience beat talent". Ugh.

TonyWR

Yeah, I noticed that too, he had a pout and wouldn't look at Nolan, typical tarhole. Sore loser.........bwaaahhhhhhhhhhh

BCGroup
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I got list of first and second team and some quotes from the Greensboro News Record's tweets. http://twitter.com/michaelffuchs/acc-men-s-tourney-updates#

Saratoga2
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Today was about 40 minutes of hard nosed, in your face defense. The tone was set by Nolan, who played fabulous defense. Also, our bigs really played excellent defense. Miles looks like a reincaration of Brian Zoubec. Where did this come from. He is our toughest guy in there if not the most athletic. Mason played very well and I thought Ryan played his best overall game, even though he only scored an efficient points. Ryan rebounded, stole the ball, played very good defense. He is a smart player and did it all.

This was a very balanced scoring effort. Andre hit 3 of 4, Seth scored well and even the bigs did well. Nolan had his usual great game and Kyle played tough, although he did turn the ball over and took too many 3's from my view.

Carolina couldn't deal with Dukkes defense.

Great win and I hope it gives them a #1 seed.

Gthoma2a
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Amazing game, and an amazing performance for everybody. If we play with that type of versatility, and add Kyrie for some minutes (he says he is feeling good and is likely to play in the NCAA according to the twitter of dukehoopsblogger; I think that is the right one), we will be a favorite to cut down the nets. We have senior leadership, and a lot of talent.

TonyWR
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
HOW FREAKIN SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Blue Devils!!!!! Took the fight to UNC today and showed great heart! Awesome Awesome win!!!!

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO STRAIGHT TO FREAKIN HELL!!!!!!

Now we can see all the tarhole fans go back into hiding, lol.

hudlow
03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
GO DUKE!!!!

Why is it I can never reach my Carolina friends by phone at times like this?

Oh well, the important thing is that the T-shirts are ordered...;)

Great win, great team. I think there was still a little bit of a burn left from yesterday's game with Va Tech to make the Devils ready to fight today.

On to The Big dance.

Next Play.

hud

GO DUKE!!!

dukebluesincebirth
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
What a beautiful game!!! The Devils immediately knocked them back with tough, in-your-face defense right from the start! Great job boys! Great job!

Jeff Frosh
I know it's a cliche, but cliches are cliches for a reason. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. I felt comfortable the whole game because of how we were playing defense. What a great game when it meant everything. Hated opponent. ACC championship. Payback time. Hopefully number one seed.

freshmanjs

actually, he said "today, experienced talent beat talent" and the broader point he was making was that Duke's experience was a plus today. there was nothing wrong with he said. he was also HUGELY complimentary of Nolan Smith.

Reilly
ACC Tournament Champions ten of thirteen years ... three in a row ... yowza!

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Roy Williams does not have a grip on reality.

wallyman
03-13-2011, 03:42 PM

First off, we started well. What a difference, and it was keyed by the defense. They weren't getting any good looks, but they also failed to convert some easy shots. Offensively, Nolan was driving and Kyle was not settling for 3s. That created lof of inside out, balanced 3 point opportunities that we were able to knock down. Plus, we were all over the offensive boards.

I felt like we got away from what made us successful for a lot of the second half. All of a sudden, Kyle was back to front rimming 3s and Carolina was really starting to assert itself on the offensive glass. We also went away from the ball movement and balance that had keyed the first half. I felt a Heel run coming.

The key sequence of the game was with 5-6 minutes left when they cut it to 9. First, Nolan drove and kicked to Seth for a 3 which stopped a 5-0 Heel run. After 2 Marshall FTs, the Black Pigeon has a clean look from 3 and it went half down which would have cut the lead to 7. We come back and Kelly hits that corner 3. That was pretty much ballgame. If the Pigeon makes that 3, the crowd explodes and we have have wilted. Not on this day.

We are looking tough. Bring on the brackets!!! We should get the #1 out West but who knows?

Yes, best moment of the game was when the pigeon finally missed a big shot, Ryan hit the same three he kept missing at Carolina and the game was over. Fabulous game by everyone. Nolan off the charts, but props to Miles, Ryan, Andre, everyone.

weezie
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too, he had a pout and wouldn't look at Nolan, typical tarhole. Sore loser.........bwaaahhhhhhhhhhh

He's a big ol' tiny-headed baby. No respect for the magnitude of the game. The preening doesn't go over well with the gods of karma.

Kind of a rinsed looking falcon.

sandinmyshoes
Two main keys to the game, in my opinion.

1) Experience. Nolan and Kyle especially just came out with senior-like intensity. UNC's players came out as if they thought this was just another game. While they were probably a statisical draw, Kyle kept Barnes from winning the game (though that three that would have cut it to seven scared the daylights out of me). The job Nolan did on Marshall was tremendous. Marshall finally settled down and adjusted, but by then he was playing from well behind.

2) Seth Greenburg. I think the physical, nasty play by VaTech yesterday put our bigs in the proper frame of mine. Yes, it cost us some fouls, but we had the depth to absorb them. Henson and Zeller missed a lot of chippies. Some of that may have just been bad luck, but a lot of it had to do with the physical way our guys were grinding it out in the paint. Against that sort of strong post defense, a team often begins to hurry their shots, and that's what happened. UNC's front court might well have ended up out scoring our guys -- especially starters vs. starters -- but our guys made them work awfully hard for it, and the percentages showed it.

I will, however, say this about UNC, I have to respect them compared to those (insert expletive) from VaTech. Once they got it going, they played hard and pretty clean. We knocked them hard on their inexperienced cans in the first ten-twelve minutes, but they came back to play it relatively even the rest of the game. If they don't lose anyone to the pros at the end of the year and can dig up a reasonable backup point guard this late in the recruiting game, they could be scary good next year.

But this is our year, ACC Champs. And some games to play.

Utley
3 straight double digit wins - (16, 14, 17). I live in Northern VA - there's no sweeter path for me than MD, VT, UNC. Getting giddy.

Son of Mojo
03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Good weekend--ate some turtle soup, some turkey, and now some sour, sour goat. Great team victory that will hopefully be the template for the NCAA (and holding out hope to have some KI sprinkled in there as well). Played so well today and fought through a LOT to still win in convincing fashion. Love it!!!! Go Devils!!!

I think I just saw the earth close back up with a burning hoof being visibly dragged down................

Reilly
03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Loved Josh Hairston's reaction when Miles climbed the ladder and slammed through the follow-up late in the first half ... Josh seemed to be channeling Fred Sanford in a 'hold me back' mode ... very funny ....

hurley1
03-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Roy should have said........" We weren't playing Klimpson today "......;)

77devil
"I do agree that Duke will likely pack it in, so my hope is that guy is Lmac with a hot hand. If UNC shoots it, then the inside opens up and Duke is toast."

Perhaps he's gone fishing. Funny how he disappears at times. At least Kong shows up win or lose.

weezie
GO DUKE!!!!

Maybe they can't hear the phone ringing over their weeping?

BCGroup
actually, he said "today, experienced talent beat talent" and the broader point he was making was that Duke's experience was a plus today. there was nothing wrong with he said. he was also HUGELY complimentary of Nolan Smith.

Thanks...I was reading tweets and that was clarified after I posted!

Utley

Harry - you've chosen... poorly.

devildeac
I just wanted to say congratulations to our devils for the HUGE win, and their, what is it?, 18th ACC championship? Great game guys. K said in the interview that they played "decent" defense. DECENT? I thought it was GREAT defense. Anyway, so happy for our guys. Great job.

#19.;)

camion
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Wow! It was just a beautiful game to watch. We jumped on them with both feet at the start and they never recovered. That was 40 full minutes of intense basketball. Kudos to Nolan, Kyle, Miles, Mason, Seth, Ryan, Andre and all other players and coaching staff.

This team was had a pretty impressive tournament with three double digit wins. That should lock up a #1 seed. If it doesn't the team in our bracket who is the one seed will cry foul.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Great post, except there was no wilting by Duke in this game, made 3, or not.

hudlow
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
He's a big ol' tiny-headed baby. No respect for the magnitude of the game. The preening doesn't go over well with the gods of karma.

Kind of a rinsed looking falcon.

They showed a short cut away of Roy talking to HB while he was on the bench. To me it looked like The Black Pigeon was rolling his eyes at his coach as if he had a better grasp on the situation than Roy.

But then again...

burnspbesq
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
For the last two weeks, he has had the Duke women as number eight overall, despite their number three RPI, number one SOS, and wins over two of the three other number two seeds. Risible.

Reilly
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Good weekend--ate some turtle soup, some turkey, and now some sour, sour goat....

If you beat the goat into submission with defense, and then torch it to a crisp with 45 percent shooting from 3-land, and then stretch it and stomp it and throw down all over it, it's actually possible to wipe the smirk off the goat's face, get it to take off its glasses and shake its head, and make it cry, and then it tastes .... I dunno, sort of like chicken, or a championship, or something.

Oriole Way
03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Nolan had such a great game today, one of the best of his career. He was amazing from a passing perspective, he found his teammates wide open so many times for great looks. I think today was his best passing game ever, it was beautiful to watch and was a huge reason for the win.

taiw93
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Great effort today. Nolan looked like the NPOY (on both offense and defense), Kyle took the ball inside a lot more and was very effective doing so (thank goodness!), Kelly played a great all-around game, Andre hit big shots and was great on defense, Seth was solid, etc. But, perhaps most importantly, the Plumlees (and Kelly as well), as they have been all tournament, were excellent. They positively bullied Henson inside on offense, and did a great job defensively and on the boards (with some help from Kyle). If they play in the next tournament like they did in this one, we have a pretty decent shot at a title. As for the Heels, they're still a really good team - and are a hundred times better than the way they played today and this entire tournament. However, this is just another example of how experience wins in March. Always.

My only minor gripe today was that the officiating was atrocious on both sides, as it was yesterday. Obviously, UNC fans will point out the (terrible) charge call on Srickland, but there were tons of calls on both sides (such as the lack of basket interference on Zeller) that just made me scratch my head.

TruBlu
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
What a great day it is to be a Blue Devil! An amazing game! Not only were we in control for the entire game, but the Heels can't even blame the refs or say that their players had bad games. Our defensive intensity ruled the court!! The Devil has fire in his eyes so watch out boys- it's March Madness!! :D

You are wrong about the Heel fans! Several have already piped in saying that the refs let Nolan get away with hand-checks early, setting the tone to rob the Heels. Just Damn!

You are right about it being a great day to be a Blue Devil! (I also enjoy hearing the Heels whine.)

Buckeye Devil
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
They showed a short cut away of Roy talking to HB while he was on the bench. To me it looked like The Black Pigeon was rolling his eyes at his coach as if he had a better grasp on the situation than Roy.

But then again...

Oh come on now. Dickie V says that he is so coachable!

Bob Green
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Well Ol' Roy doesn't set the bar all that high so perhaps...

ncexnyc
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Great team effort and a full 40 minutes of basketball. The score would have been a lot worse had we been able to play our game, as we clearly came out with passion and aggression, but the refs with their ticky tacky fouls kept the heels as close as they could.
I loved the way our kids never let a mistake or bad call deter them from the task at hand. Classic example, Ryan goes up weakly and gets his shot blocked, but comes right back down the court and immediately steps in front of his man for the easy steal. Every kid made similar plays throughout the game, they just kept coming and coming and the heels could never catch their breath.
Great effort and hopefully the kids will show up next weekend with the same fire and intensity we saw today.

lotusland
03-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Great post, except there was no wilting by Duke in this game, made 3, or not.

Nolan was phenominal at the end. That is how you close out a win! He milked the clock and go us a good look with the clock winding down every time. He found Ryan and Seth for 3, hit Kyle down low who was blocked twice, hit Ryan underneath (Ryan fumbled the pass) hit an open 3 himself and knocked down 2 free-throws! What more can you do when it is winning time?

hudlow
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
It's really fun to take a stroll through IC right now.

They are arguing amongst themselves as to which ref helped out Duke the most and if the ACC Tournament Champion is really the ACC Champion.

Losers.

hud

dukestheheat
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Nolan was phenominal at the end. That is how you close out a win! He milked the clock and go us a good look with the clock winding down every time. He found Ryan and Seth for 3, hit Kyle down low who was blocked twice, hit Ryan underneath (Ryan fumbled the pass) hit an open 3 himself and knocked down 2 free-throws! What more can you do when it is winning time?

The DEFENSE was the big advantage for Duke today! From the first play, I could tell that Duke had brought the defense and they just rode that all......game.......long!

Congratulations Duke on the ACC Championship and this one is S-W-E-E-T!

GO DUKE!

dth.

DukieInKansas
03-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Congratulations guys.

Thank you, kong123. I know it wasn't as much fun for you to watch but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been giving a friend at church a hard time due to a unc shirt he owns. He wanted to wait until after today's game before he turned it in for the nice Duke shirt I bought him. I think he'll turn it in easier now.

TonyWR

They are arguing amongst themselves as to which ref helped out Duke the most and if the ACC Tournament Champion is really the ACC Champion.

Losers.

hud

I have never, ever, ever known a tarhole fan to just admit defeat. They are incapable of it, they are extremely intimidated by those four letters D-U-K-E and when Duke beats them they can't handle it, lol. I personally love it, to shut their mouthy fans up is priceless.

Remember, you can't spell dunce without unc! IC is proof, enough said.

Matches

Losers.

hud

I can save you a few minutes: in a nutshell, we won because of the refs, even though the smurfs shot way more FTs than us. They were tired from playing 3 games in 3 days, even though we did that too. And anyway, the ACCT doesn't matter and our players don't succed in the NBA, except when they do and that's because they left early and anyway none of them have won an NBA title except for Ferry and that didn't really count and this is really all Larry Drew's fault. Plus we have white players and that makes us racist and no one likes racists.

GREAT effort today by the forces of good!

MChambers
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Losers.

hud
Interesting, because I thought there were some very poor calls that went in UNC's favor, such as the foul on Singler at the end of the half, the play where Zeller knocked Ryan out of bounds, and the offensive rebound by Barnes from behind Mason in the second half. Guess it just shows that in any game there will be a fair number of incorrect calls. Nice to have won and not to have to worry about it.

dukegirl
03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Anybody know what that was about? Looked like Nolan reacted with a bit of disdain to what Zeller said in the after-game line. Maybe just my imagination.

DukeBlueHeart4
03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
How many fouls were called against each team? I wanna make sure I have my stats right.

Dr. Tina
03-13-2011, 04:16 PM
GO DUKE!!!!

Oh well, the important thing is that the T-shirts are ordered...;)

Great win, great team. I think there was still a little bit of a burn left from yesterday's game with Va Tech to make the Devils ready to fight today.

On to The Big dance.

Next Play.

hud

GO DUKE!!!

Which t-shirt did you buy? I'm not sure if I want the locker room one, the blue one (that mentions 09, 10, and 11), or the grey ACC Dominance one...decisions, decisions...

Sixthman
1. Scoreboard;
2. 12 years -- 33 wins against 3 losses in the ACC tournament.

BattierBattalion
Duke might have won today, but Roy Williams got to take home FOUR timeouts. If only Coach K was as skilled and fortunate.

;)

jv001
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
How many fouls were called against each team? I wanna make sure I have my stats right.

Duke 20
unc 16

that came from ESPN scores on line. GoDuke!

taiw93
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
There 20 fouls called against Duke, and only 16 called against UNC. Obviously, UNC fans have the right to be upset over the Strickland charge call, but I actually felt that the officiating was quite even, and by even I mean equally terrible on both sides. The lack of basket interference call on Zeller was just blatantly terrible.

davekay1971
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Congratulations to our team! Great performance, great win. Totally dominating tournament run. No doubt at all who the ACC champion is, and should be, this year.

To the above question: 20 fouls on Duke, 16 on Carolina. Interestingly a TOTAL of 6 fouls on Zeller, Henson, Barnes, and Marshall. 8 on Kyle and Nolan. Fouls really weren't a big part of the game today, but when your Carolina friends start complaining about the refs, you've got the stats to shut them up (if the dominance of Duke's win wasn't enough, that is).

Go Duke! Go to Hell, Carolina! And the ACC tournament remains the Duke University Invitational!

MChambers
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
There 20 fouls called against Duke, and only 16 called against UNC. Obviously, UNC fans have the right to be upset over the Strickland charge call, but I actually felt that the officiating was quite even, and by even I mean equally terrible on both sides. The lack of basket interference call on Zeller was just blatantly terrible.

I thought the charge call was the right call. Curry had good defensive position and was well away from the basket. Plus, Strickland put his shoulder into Curry. Brandt and G-man thought it was a good call.

superdave
03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
We had no lapses, no loss of focus, no letdowns today. We left a few things on the table but brought energy, focus and effort all day, and we brought more of it than the holes. You could tell out of the opening tip that we were ready to go. No slow starts, not getting out-hustled today. That is what we've been lacking for the past few weeks - 40 full minutes.

The defense was excellent. Carolina has a lot of talent and athleticism so you're not going to stop them. The key defensively is to push them into what we wanted them to do. Every shot was a step farther or clutched a little harder because of our intensity, and only Kobe excels vs. that kind of D. We pushed them and battled them. It was very gratifying to see.

DukeBlueHeart4
03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks jv001 and taiw93.

That's what I thought but one must always be prepared when arguing with Tar Holes. And I have the agree- the officiating was terrible on ends. It seems that they couldn't decide how they wanted to call the game.

hudlow
03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Which t-shirt did you buy? I'm not sure if I want the locker room one, the blue one (that mentions 09, 10, and 11), or the grey ACC Dominance one...decisions, decisions...

I got the white one on page 2 that has the small Duke logo on front and the score on back.

I think I might take a Sharpie and add the foul stats on there also:D

They're all good - you can't go wrong!

GO DUKE!!!

Duke4life92
03-13-2011, 04:22 PM

It's only the true ACC champion when they win,if it was other way around and duke won reg season and tarholes won tourney then they would be true champs.You can't win when arguing or talking to them,it does'nt matter.What gets me is the officiating was so bad both ways,Kyle has to be the toughest minded guy in college basketball,he gets beat up game after game without getting nearly the calls he should:mad::mad::mad:GO DUKE!!!!:D

superdave
03-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Congratulations to our team! Great performance, great win. Totally dominating tournament run. No doubt at all who the ACC champion is, and should be, this year.

To the above question: 20 fouls on Duke, 16 on Carolina. Interestingly a TOTAL of 6 fouls on Zeller, Henson, Barnes, and Marshall. 8 on Kyle and Nolan. Fouls really weren't a big part of the game today, but when your Carolina friends start complaining about the refs, you've got the stats to shut them up (if the dominance of Duke's win wasn't enough, that is).

Go Duke! Go to Hell, Carolina! And the ACC tournament remains the Duke University Invitational!

As much as we attacked today, the fouls should be the reverse. Very odd. I also thought the holes got the benefit of a lot of no calls on travels in addition to the fouls.

devildeac
03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

And the FT were unc with 21 and Duke with 15. Plus, we had 3 guys with 4 fouls and they had 1 (the same one who also had 0 points-BWAHAHAHA).

jv001
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks jv001 and taiw93.

That's what I thought but one must always be prepared when arguing with Tar Holes. And I have the agree- the officiating was terrible on ends. It seems that they couldn't decide how they wanted to call the game.

I was very interested in this as well. I'm getting ready to go back to church and I know the heel fans all too well. I know I will hear the refs gave it to Duke. But the numbers tell a different story. Matter of fact had the refs not favored unc, they would have lost by 30 points. Go Duke!

Dr. Tina
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Congratulations, Duke!!! 2011 ACC CHAMPS...3PEAT, BABY!!!!

I am SO PROUD of our TEAM PERFORMANCE the whole tournament. Our team played to win in each game and didn't let up. Today, they were just phenomenal. It was definitely our best game of the season. Nolan with 20 pts, 10 assists, and only 3 TO's was spectacular. Kyle (with team help) did a really good job on Barnes. Mason, Miles, and Ryan were hitting nearly all their shots and rebounding very well. Dre played intense defense and lit it up from 3. Seth kept things steady and chipped in with 3's and overall good play. This is exactly the kind of performance we knew our team could give, and they did it on one of the BEST days to do it.

Aside from a NCAA championship, there is NOTHING better than beating UNC for an ACC championship and knowing we took the season series 2-1!

BTW - I think the fact Duke has been so successful in 10 of the last 13 years of the tournament is precisely because Coach K values the ACC tournament so much. It's a big deal to Duke to win it.

Roy, on the other hand, doesn't give it the respect it deserves, and, frankly, I think that shows in the way his teams usually play in it. UNC never deserved to win this weekend with the way they played. Miami and Clemson choked, but it was worth it to have the opportunity to beat them on the biggest ACC stage!

GO DUKE....AND GTHC!!!!!!!!!

Rogue
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Duke might have won today, but Roy Williams got to take home FOUR timeouts. If only Coach K was as skilled and fortunate.

;)

ROLL OVER TIMEOUTS ?? :cool:

Faustus
03-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I loved the comment Tim Brando made (I got the ACC network coverage) late in the first half: "The fouls are really starting to pile up on Carolina now." They had just been called for their 5th team foul.

Great, great day. Congratulations, all!

Chris Randolph
03-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Great performance. Very proud to be a Duke fan! First class play and character

Dr. Tina
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
It's only the true ACC champion when they win,if it was other way around and duke won reg season and tarholes won tourney then they would be true champs.You can't win when arguing or talking to them,it does'nt matter.What gets me is the officiating was so bad both ways,Kyle has to be the toughest minded guy in college basketball,he gets beat up game after game without getting nearly the calls he should:mad::mad::mad:GO DUKE!!!!:D

Oh, yeah - UNC fans don't take very well to facts. I've explained how the true ACC champion is decided, and provided a Featherston article to boot, and I still get comments about how..."well, I find it funny that those are the rules, but everyone in the media keeps referring to UNC as the ACC Champs because they won the regular season, yada, yada, yada".....

SO CLUELESS!

And, according to Watzone's tweet with 3 minutes left, the Tarhole fans were starting to leave the Coliseum, while the Duke fans were shouting with all they had!

sagegrouse
03-13-2011, 04:29 PM
From the pre-game thread:

posted by sagegrouse

Keys to Victory?

Here's what I would like to see --

1. Kyle holds Barnes to around 15 points.
Barnes had 16. Great game, Kyle.

2. Our bigs neutralize the UNC big men through good post defense.
Bazowie!! Zeller, Henson, and Knox had 28. Miles, Mason, and Ryan had 24, neutralizing UNC's theoretical advantage inside.

3. Nolan, Kyle, and Seth penetrate the UNC defense and hit mid range jumpers and the floaters.

Nolan, especially, and Kyle did penetrate and score -- 18 points on baskets inside the arc plus seven FTs. Nolan also had 10 assists.

4. Nolan, Seth, and Tyler keep Marshall from penetrating and dishing.

Bingo! Marshall had only four assists.

5. Devils shoot 50%, including >35% from three, and close down the UNC fastbreak.
On the button!!! Duke shot 29-58, 50% plus 9-20 from three (45%).

These weren't my predictions; this was my wish list.

sagegrouse

hudlow
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
From the pre-game thread:

Barnes had 16. Great game, Kyle.

Bazowie!! Zeller, Henson, and Knox had 28. Miles, Mason, and Ryan had 24, neutralizing UNC's theoretical advantage inside.

Nolan, especially, and Kyle did penetrate and score -- 18 points on baskets inside the arc plus seven FTs. Nolan also had 10 assists.

Bingo! Marshall had only four assists.

On the button!!! Duke shot 29-58, 50% plus 9-20 from three (45%).

These weren't my predictions; this was my wish list.

sagegrouse

Good Calls!

Might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket - since you're just "wishin'."

GO DUKE!!!

MChambers
03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Good Calls!

GO DUKE!!!

Pitchforks for everyone today?

CameronBlue
03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Good Calls!

GO DUKE!!!

I'll take 20 lines. Where do I send the check?

ncexnyc
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Obviously you aren't up on the latest excuse from IC. Sure we got called for more fouls, but that's because we foul on every play, be it handchecking or a moving screen. They are evolving.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
We need to play like this for six more games. I don't know who beats us if we do.

Thing is, it wasn't a spectactularly good effort, just a reasonably good one.

As for unc, you can only make furious comebacks so many times. Eventually you find you don't have enough gas, or you run into someone who can keep playing their game for 40 minutes. Like us.

Reading IC hurts my brain. I recommend against it.

tele
03-13-2011, 05:03 PM
great win!! Played and won like Champions! Nice job all around but really have to hand it to Nolan for his defense and assists. What a player and rare to get to see a 4 year player develop his game like he has.

I usually avoid quoting others stats but think it may be safe to say I detect a dark blue trend in the attached:

1 24 90
03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Nolan!

Rest of the first team was Stitt (Clemson), Barnes and Zeller (ACC), and Kyle.

FYI if have the game up on ESPN3.com they will often show postgame stuff, saw the entire postgame ceremonies!

Thanks so much for alerting me to this. I just watched it. I loved the moment at the end when the announcer said that Duke gets the ACC automatic bid & Andre, Nolan & Kyrie all got really excited that they were going to be in the tourney. Classic

On the down side, ESPN's highlights include the Strickland dunk over Kyle where they called him for the charge and they are pointing out how bad the call was.

davekay1971
03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Obviously you aren't up on the latest excuse from IC. Sure we got called for more fouls, but that's because we foul on every play, be it handchecking or a moving screen. They are evolving.

Not really. There's a thread on IC complaining that we Dukies (misspelled on that site, of course) will never understand that the ACC champion is determined by regular season record, not that 3 game conference tournament thingy.

Sure, they're breathing our air, but at least they're entertaining...

zoroaster
03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Following on the cbs play-by-play from the goduke site (game was blacked out on espn for me), not sure how it looked, but our guys seemed to do a good job playing with foul trouble. Nolan's stat line -- 20 pts 10!! assists -- incredible! And how sweet it is Kyrie could be coming back. Looking forward to threads discussing how he may be re-integrated. :o:rolleyes:

Wheat/"/"/"
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Well done.

Duke played with much more intensity in this game than UNC, and got the contributions and balance from the entire team they needed. Got to give credit to Curry and Kelly for hitting some clutch shots late.

The leadership and focus from Smith and Singler was too much for the Heels. And from coach K. He always gets his teams to play strong in big games. I did not see a play where Duke looked tentitive, and coaches give players that sort of confidence.

On the court, Smith in particular got everyone involved and came up big ,again.

The key was Duke's early energy, while I thought UNC played tired. It seemed the past few comeback games had taken a lot out of them. And they couldn't match Duke's effort.

UNC seemed to really lose focus mid game after the call on Strickland's dunk and the banked 3 by Smith. Both plays were a punch to the gut, and energized Duke even more. They never recovered from those two plays.

Time to move on and get ready for the dance, hopefully to meet in the final.

watzone
Post game videos, round I of IV - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/bdn-post-game-videos/ Kyrie Irving vid coming!!!

moonpie23
HWNSNBM in his post interview was talking about, "the chance to win a second ring" and "with another ring on the table".....

WTF is he talking about????? do they give rings for the regular season now?

mkline09
03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
On the down side, ESPN's highlights include the Strickland dunk over Kyle where they called him for the charge and they are pointing out how bad the call was.

Frachilla when asked how that is a charge he responds with because they have D-U-K-E written on the front of their jersey. Typical.

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
My biggest keys to this victory were:

1. Carolina had virtually no fast break game today, a huge difference from the last game when there bigs were beating us down court. Carolina just isn't the same team when they can't run, even Roy realized this after they fell behind 8-0.

2. They couldn't keep Nolan out of the lane. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Nolan was spectacular, particularly in distributing the rock once he broke down UNC's perimeter D.

3. The bigs played an outstanding game... rebounding, forcing tough shots around the rim, and chipping in some very timely baskets.

4. Coach K had our guys ready to go from tip-off, an area in which UNC has been really lacking the past 3 games.

5. Kendall Marshall wasn't given nearly the amount of time and space to make plays as he was in the previous meeting. Nolan virtually shut him down, and made him look like the freshman he is.

...An absolutely fantastic game by Duke any way you slice it.

devildeac
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
HWNSNBM in his post interview was talking about, "the chance to win a second ring" and "with another ring on the table".....

Perhaps he was referring to the onion rings he was gonna have at Mama Dips tonight:rolleyes:.

RelativeWays
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
One of the best team efforts I've seen. Really this whole tourney has been great for team play, contributions from pretty much everyone.

sandinmyshoes
03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I do not understand why anyone would want to go to IC. What do you expect? And I don't say that as "typical UNC fans" but rather, as typical freeboard fans. TDD is everybit as bad, worse for me since it embarrasses me as a Duke fan.

I have no desire to go over there, get my panties all in a wad about what they're saying, and then come back over here to re-hash it.

I'm just glad we have this much more tightly moderated oasis in the internet wilderness, though I swear too many of you just seem intent in bringing in the poison!

I'm celebrating Duke, for Duke's sake.

4decadedukie
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
One of the wonderful things about being a true Duke fan (and not just basketball or athletics) is being able to share pride in SO many great accomplishments (despite not really having contributed to their achievement). Here is a deeply sincere salute to our team (players, coaches and staff) both present and past, to our sixth men (globally and for generations), to our supporters and alumni (many of whom have been continuously generous in providing the material resources necessary for success), and to our University (all communities and constituencies). Duke Basketball and Duke University: not only victorious, but winning the right way -- both on and off the court.

OZ
03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Some time this week, some hole posted a judgement that Duke players seemed to not have fun. Then it was further suggested that unc players really enjoyed themselves and that was evidenced by their dancing.

Well, from where I sat today, it looked to me like the Duke players were having a great time. KI danced with TT almost the entire game! I totally enjoyed Smith's "dancing" off the floor at the end of the game into K's arms. He and K both danced a little!

I might also report that, where I sat, the Duke fans did some dancing of their own!

PRICELESS!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

I think UNC does give the team a ring for their ACC regular season championship.

I have no problem with a coach/school giving the players something to look back on and cherish long after they have left the game. It will happen sooner than they realize now.

It was...and is... a heck of an accomplishment for any team to run the gauntlet and be ACC regular season champions.

I hope Duke gives the players a ring for today's win, and I'm sure they will. Winning the tourney is a great accomplishment too.

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I think UNC does give the team a ring for their ACC regular season championship.

I have no problem with a coach/school giving the players something to look back on and cherish long after they have left the game. It will happen sooner than they realize now.

It was...and is... a heck of an accomplishment for any team to run the gauntlet and be ACC regular season champions.

I hope Duke gives the players a ring too for today's win, and I'm sure they will. Winning the tourney is a great accomplishment too.

Well said Wheat, I agree. UNC has every right to celebrate their regular season championship however they wish. Having the best record in the ACC regular season is a great accomplishment.

Troublemaker
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Nolan Smith is a legend. Jersey goes up regardless of 2000 points or whatever happens in the NCAAs.

Kyle Singler is superhuman tough and a great wing defender. Another retired jersey.

Seth Curry leaps into my pantheon of all-time favorite Duke players simply because the kid is a Carolina Killer. UNC fans must shudder whenever he gets the ball.

That was Duke defense at its finest. Classic, classic Duke D. Make a coach's clinic tape of it.

Just an awesome experience for Duke fans. A game that you keep on the DVR forever or burn to DVD.

Am I crazy or was that one of the most satisfying wins of the past decade? For me, it's right up there with the Baylor game and the Final Four comeback against Maryland. Consider the stakes. It's Carolina. We're playing for seasonal bragging rights (2 to 1), the ACC championship, AND probably a #1 seed. How many Duke-UNC games have carried that much significance before? And we whupped them!

What do you guys think? This game must rank high on your all-time games of satisfaction list, right? Desert island. Can only bring 10 Duke games to re-watch for the rest of your life. This game makes the cut for me. I'm pretty sure.

Duke76
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Today that's all i care about, that's my winner for the title

sandinmyshoes
03-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Am I crazy or was that one of the most satisfying wins of the past decade? For me, it's right up there with the Baylor game and the Final Four comeback against Maryland. Consider the stakes. It's Carolina. We're playing for seasonal bragging rights (2 to 1), the ACC championship, AND probably a #1 seed. How many Duke-UNC games have carried that much significance before? And we whupped them!

What do you guys think? This game must rank high on your all-time games of satisfaction list, right? Desert island. Can only bring 10 Duke games to re-watch for the rest of your life. This game makes the cut for me. I'm pretty sure.

It's close. Certainly a challenger for the last 10 years or so. Last year's shellacking we gave them was probably the most satisfying because it helped get some of the taste from the Hansbrough years and their two recent titles out of my mouth.

This year, we stymied a young team from stealing what was supposed to be our year. I have only to remember Hansbrough's freshman year when they did that in Cameron. But not this year. And that's satisfying. Very.

BleedsP287
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I loved the comment Tim Brando made (I got the ACC network coverage) late in the first half: "The fouls are really starting to pile up on Carolina now." They had just been called for their 5th team foul.

Great, great day. Congratulations, all!

And I think at the time we had 8.

No Cute Name
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
That was Duke basketball. Nice to see it again -- good timing.

MarkD83
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Since this will be the only ACC Tournament that Barnes will play in he needs to get a ring for the regular season.

indakut
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
It was my first time going to the ACC Tourney! All of the games were grrrrreat (especially today's game)!

Reilly
03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Counting championships (conference reg season, conference tourney, regional, national)

4 champ years: 2010, 2001, 1992

3 champ years: 1999, 1991, 1986, 1966, 1964, 1963

2 champ years: 2006, 2004, 2000, 1994, 1988, 1978, 1942

1 champ years: 2011, 2009, 2005, 2003, 2002, 1998, 1997, 1990, 1989, 1980, 1979, 1965, 1960, 1958, 1954, 1946, 1944, 1943, 1941, 1940

K vs. Dean (1981-1997) ... K 17; Dean 21
K: 5 reg, 3 tourney, 7 FF, 2 NC
D: 8 reg, 6 tourney, 5 FF, 2 NC

K vs. Gut (1998-2000) ... K 6; Gut 3
K: 3 reg, 2 tourney, 1 FF, 0 NC
G: 0 reg, 1 tourney, 2 FF, 0 NC

K vs. Doh (2001-2003) ... K 6; Doh 1
K: 1 reg, 3 tourney, 1 FF, 1 NC
D: 1 reg, 0 tourney, 0 FF, 0 NC

K vs. Roy (2004-2011) ... K 11; Roy 12
K: 3 reg, 5 tourney, 2 FF, 1 NC
R: 5 reg, 2 tourney, 3 FF, 2 NC

Finnerator
03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
The Deepest Depths of HELL CAROLINA !!!

Dopeshop
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
had to listen to the game driving on I-95 --very hazardous ! any word on a TV re-play ? any discs available ? Thanks.

Kedsy
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
had to listen to the game driving on I-95 --very hazardous ! any word on a TV re-play ? any discs available ? Thanks.

I don't know, but I'd check ESPN3 if I were you.

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM

The game can be replayed on espn3.com if you can get it.

ForkFondler
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM

In my accounting system, Duke and UNC have, so far, broken even this year:

Games: Duke 2-1

Regular Season:: UNC +2

Tourney: Duke +1

NCAA Tourney: Rubber Match

roywhite
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Interesting accounting system and weighting.

I hope numbers are more of a hobby for you than a profession.

fisheyes
03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Awesome win! What an accomplishment for a team that lost one of the best players in the country.

Order Has Been Re-Restored (Part 1)

Now on to Part 2!

Go Duke!

DukeDevilDeb
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM

... sure they can! ;)

Kudos to everyone associated with the team--including the fans who were there. You did us proud.

Seth's 3 when our lead had gone down to 9 was HUGE; so was Ryan's three from the corner (see, he does make them). But it was Ryan and Kyle taking 2 point shots that was really beautiful.

And Nolan... he's the MAN! If he isn't NPOY, I can't imagine who will be. He is the only one of the front runners who brings the WHOLE THING to his play.

GTHC!

FerryFor50
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I'll take 2-1 vs UNC on the year over the regular season championship... besides, UNC struggled in way more games against lesser teams than Duke did. A few more bounces the other way and UNC finishes 3rd or 4th. I think Duke's had the better season, including all the turmoil with Larry Drew.

roywhite
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Official Boxscore (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/747074.pdf?ATCLID=205115066&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Remarkable scoring and contributions by our "other" players.

Not counting Smith and Singler, Duke shot 18-26 from the field and 7-11 from 3-pt.

Balanced scoring plus great defense = Duke hard to beat.

dukelifer
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Outstanding game and effort by Duke. I really like the adjustments K made getting his team ready for the ACCT. First, he made a concerted effort to get Andre involved again. He was not on fire- but he gave a very good effort in all three games. The bigs- particularly Miles really stepped up this weekend. Again, he and Andre both have had games with no real production in recent weeks. That was not the case this weekend. Mason is improving. Not quite what everyone thought he would be at this point in his career - but the kid is getting better the last several games and when he gets more involved on O- the whole offense is more consistent. Curry was very solid on both ends of the floor- he made critical shots and you cannot ask for more. Kelly was solid all three games. My favorite moment was right after UNC looked to make their run- he hit that three from the corner( after just missing one badly and missing his free throw) and then came down and got the steal on a great heads up play. Those two plays killed UNC and their hopes for a comeback. Kyle expended all his energy today doing the little things and they all added up to a lot. He was a senior this weekend. Finally, Nolan did not want to lose. He set the effort level to max today and everyone responded in kind. The guy is a warrior and Duke won the ACC because he imposed his will on the game. UNC was not ready for that.

moonpie23
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
K crushed roy today....his rotations were right in sync with the game and he out coached huck big time.....

was it just my hyped up jitters? or were the substitutions much more frequent and varied..?

go duke...

Vincetaylor
03-13-2011, 09:44 PM

You must work for the gov't or a big bank with those accounting skills. Only they can twist and manipulate numbers like you can.

Kfanarmy
03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Interesting accounting system and weighting.

I hope numbers are more of a hobby for you than a profession. AMEN to that

ForkFondler
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
You must work for the gov't or a big bank with those accounting skills. Only they can twist and manipulate numbers like you can.

Thank you, but really it's nothing, cause posting on a message board makes a very poor profession.

But really, who has had a better season this year: Pitt or UConn?

Greg_Newton
03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Were, I thought, 2 of the bigger keys to the game. While they don't show up huge in the box score, they came up with so many huge plays when we needed them. Just off the top of my head:

-Ryan's sick one-on-one move in the beginning of the game.

-Seth ending up with several long rebounds and 50/50 balls in traffic. For a tiny guy, he really gets after those and helps set the toughness tone .

-Ryan jumping 2-3 post entry passes and coming up with clean steals. My favorite one was late in the game he had gotten gotten judo chopped by Henson after cutting baseline and receiving a pass from Nolan (an inexcusable no-call, btw), he went right back down and stole the entry pass from him.

-Seth hitting that big three in front of the Duke bench when UNC cut it to 10.

-The stretch starting at 66-56. Barnes misses an open 3, Curry pounces on the rebound in the lane. Kelly spots up in the corner, drains a huge 3 on a feed from Nolan. Curry slaps the ground, d's up Marshall, rides him all the way into the lane and gets a hand on the ball to knock it lose. Kelly snatches the loose ball emphatically, and the game is all but over.

--------------

They both have such incredible anticipation when they're in tune with the action, and both seem to be able to see plays before they develop. Curry in particular is just a gamer though, which I love. No fear on the biggest stages, with everything on the line... it's like he starts moving faster and with more purpose as things get more clutch. He just wants to rip your heart out.

AsiaMinor
03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Play like a fist. :)
Loved it. Love this team.
Nolan's smile and his hug with K - Andre's ferocity finally back - Kelly's smart play - Singler being Singler - the Plumlees playing to potential....... it was just a great day to be wearing Duke blue.

Scorp4me
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Anybody know what that was about? Looked like Nolan reacted with a bit of disdain to what Zeller said in the after-game line. Maybe just my imagination.

I actually thought Zeller looked to be in tears and Nolan took extra time to speak to him because of that. Classy on both players parts I thought. Maybe I was wrong.

Roy did a great job of remaining classy. Wish the same could be said of the fans.

Unbelieveable that even after that game the Carolina fans can blame the refs. They simply don't know how to lose and I don't mean that in a good way. Unless they beat themselves, I don't think they've ever lost.

I read that the Duke players should act like they've "been there before" instead of jumping around like they just won the lottery? Well they have been there before and I think it's great to see them enjoying themselves.

For years I argued that there was a certain honor to winning the tournament and being the official ACC Champion, but that winning the regular season was equally impressive. With the unbalanced schedule that is out the window yet no one seems to consider that. Still, as someone asked earlier you're allowed to hang banners for winning the regular season and even give rings so I have no problem with it. Just lost some of it's luster post ACC-expansion.

And just to add to what everyone else has said. Loved the game. Loved the adjustments. Still cringe every time Kyle takes a three cause it's a two he's missing out on but otherwise great. Nolan amazing. Great to see Dre lighting it up and Curry being steady. Loved the inside play of our big guys. Can't believe the change from the end of the regular season. Then I saw an early exit. Now I just hope they continue playing the way they are now.

superdave
03-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Curry slaps the ground, d's up Marshall, rides him all the way into the lane and gets a hand on the ball to knock it lose. Kelly snatches the loose ball emphatically, and the game is all but over.

Curry slapped the floor? Dang, I missed that. Tiiiiiiight.

delfrio
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM

Just gonna say that. I've been waiting on a good floor slap all season!

jdj4duke
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
What a great day it is to be a Blue Devil! An amazing game! Not only were we in control for the entire game, but the Heels can't even blame the refs or say that their players had bad games.

You don't know their fans very well. If you did, you would know that the game was lost when Strickland was called for the charge in the opening minutes. It threw off their intensity. And then the touch fouls when they were down major double digits made their fans stop cheering. Seriously. I heard all this and more, including the usual reports that Karl Hess gives Duke all the calls.

I will give Roy some thanks for the obvious respect that he showed to Nolan and Kyle today.

Today was a triple crown-
We demolish the Heels for a championship.
Their fans again prove to be the biggest whiners in sports.
Uncle Fester and his band of thuggees at VT get to stay home and skip classes anyway.

I could watch that game every day this week.

Rudy
03-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I've been to the last several ACC tourneys and this one was the best, with several great games and the last one being the best, of course. As usual, most of the fans were respectful of opponents and knowledgeable about what was going on, and that includes almost all the UNC fans I talked with.

Today, though, four UNC grads, in their 30's sat down in front of me and lived up to the stereotype of rabid Tarholes, in whose eyes their guys never foul and are always given a raw deal by the refs, especially when Duke is on the floor too. On top of that they had obviously had a six pack or so each so their reactions to events were exaggerated, at least until about half time when they sobered up. They left when Seth hit his last three from in front of our bench.

I did laugh at some nearby UNC fan's joke after Nolan befuddled yet another UNC defender, "Somebody step on his toe!" It wasn't said meanly, it was a statement of respect recognizing he was otherwise unstoppable.

I can understand some of the frustrations with the refs because they were so inconsistent. Sometimes it seemed they would let physical play go and the next moment they would call some ticky-tacky bump that didn't affect the play. Today whenever there was a close call on one end it seemed there was a make-up call on the other end right away. During the VT game Saturday it seemed they would let Allen have 4-6 elbows to the ribs on each possession and then call him on the next one, which was no worse than the last several. Kyle is such a warrior he never shows frustration with the rough style of play.

As far as Duke's play today goes, terrific all around. Great individual and team defense, great to see shots fall for Andre and for Ryan (two games in a row after being shaky Friday). Lots of great moments. One of my favorites early was Mason going high post, passing down to Miles who was being guarded by Henson. Miles scored easily over the only unanimously chosen all-ACC defensive player. Kyle all weekend was looking to score and did often on drives and medium jumpers. He usually only took threes when open--unfortunately still cold there. (The misses are all on line but all short. Surely somebody on the staff is pointing that out to Kyle?)

A very good team getting better now after plateauing the last few regular season games. Just need two more things to fall into place - Kyle's three point touch and Kyrie coming back strong.

Class of '94
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I actually thought Zeller looked to be in tears and Nolan took extra time to speak to him because of that. Classy on both players parts I thought. Maybe I was wrong.

Roy did a great job of remaining classy. Wish the same could be said of the fans.

Unbelieveable that even after that game the Carolina fans can blame the refs. They simply don't know how to lose and I don't mean that in a good way. Unless they beat themselves, I don't think they've ever lost.

I read that the Duke players should act like they've "been there before" instead of jumping around like they just won the lottery? Well they have been there before and I think it's great to see them enjoying themselves.
For years I argued that there was a certain honor to winning the tournament and being the official ACC Champion, but that winning the regular season was equally impressive. With the unbalanced schedule that is out the window yet no one seems to consider that. Still, as someone asked earlier you're allowed to hang banners for winning the regular season and even give rings so I have no problem with it. Just lost some of it's luster post ACC-expansion.

And just to add to what everyone else has said. Loved the game. Loved the adjustments. Still cringe every time Kyle takes a three cause it's a two he's missing out on but otherwise great. Nolan amazing. Great to see Dre lighting it up and Curry being steady. Loved the inside play of our big guys. Can't believe the change from the end of the regular season. Then I saw an early exit. Now I just hope they continue playing the way they are now.

If poor losers or Duke haters want to go there, then the same could be said about the celebration UNC players and their fans had on the court at the Dean Dome after beating Duke last week for the ACC regular season. Saying that, I'd like the Duke players jump around like they won the lottery a few more times between now and April.;)

roywhite
03-13-2011, 11:19 PM
You don't know their fans very well. If you did, you would know that the game was lost when Strickland was called for the charge in the opening minutes. It threw off their intensity. And then the touch fouls when they were down major double digits made their fans stop cheering. Seriously. I heard all this and more, including the usual reports that Karl Hess gives Duke all the calls.

I will give Roy some thanks for the obvious respect that he showed to Nolan and Kyle today.

Today was a triple crown-
We demolish the Heels for a championship.
Their fans again prove to be the biggest whiners in sports.
Uncle Fester and his band of thuggees at VT get to stay home and skip classes anyway.

I could watch that game every day this week.

At least a triple crown:
#1 seed
Kyrie indicates he may be back soon

Yeah, I saw Ole Roy's presser....well done, I thought; genuine respect and complimentary of the Duke team and program.

Had the pleasure of being in the crowd at the Greensboro Coliseum, and you're right, those Tarheel fans are a real treat.

Give them credit for one thing, though.....they sure can exit a building in a hurry. The place was full and in just a few minutes, there were huge regions of empty seats. They must have disaster training or just get used to bustin' out of the Dean Dome a little early to beat the traffic.

Gewebe14
03-13-2011, 11:25 PM
So awesome!

I asked my carowhina buddy a few days ago jokingly "why unc always seems to get screwed by the refs" and his answer was serious (I think - it was over email so a little tough to tell) that they aren't used to seeing such amazing defense. hahaha yeah i bet.

Honestly, hearing them complain about the refs is music to my ears. No team is going to make it very far in bball if they can't win when a questionable call or two go the other way.

here's to them losing in the 2nd round.

jipops
03-13-2011, 11:25 PM

After last season's PR nightmare, Roy is making a conscious effort to correct that. Just how genuine is a matter of opinion.

I had a function with both my daughters so I wasn't able to watch it live, thank goodness for DVR. I didn't even want to know anything about the game while I was out with them else it would completely distract me from my girls' activity. I just watched via DVR and wow what an awesome defensive performance. I have posted previously and repeatedly that UNC was the more talented team in this matchup. But Duke's experience edge and excellent preparedness ultimately took this one. I love how we got into the teeth of UNC's defense on drives and the bigs put themselves in excellent position near the basket to get scores. Kelly and others were terrific in denying the pass near the low block. The ball movement on offense was a ton better than it has been in the past few weeks. The team as a whole just seemed so charged. Every UNC push was answered.

This game was a testament to K's preparation. Every single player was 100% focused and ready to play.

House G
03-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Dennis Dodd at CBSSports.com has a preview of the West Regional which I am having trouble linking but which is informative. He has a great quote about the Blue Devils: ". . . Duke does beat your a** with class".

Mcluhan
03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Were, I thought, 2 of the bigger keys to the game. While they don't show up huge in the box score, they came up with so many huge plays when we needed them. Just off the top of my head:

-Ryan's sick one-on-one move in the beginning of the game.

-Seth ending up with several long rebounds and 50/50 balls in traffic. For a tiny guy, he really gets after those and helps set the toughness tone .

-Ryan jumping 2-3 post entry passes and coming up with clean steals. My favorite one was late in the game he had gotten gotten judo chopped by Henson after cutting baseline and receiving a pass from Nolan (an inexcusable no-call, btw), he went right back down and stole the entry pass from him.

-Seth hitting that big three in front of the Duke bench when UNC cut it to 10.

-The stretch starting at 66-56. Barnes misses an open 3, Curry pounces on the rebound in the lane. Kelly spots up in the corner, drains a huge 3 on a feed from Nolan. Curry slaps the ground, d's up Marshall, rides him all the way into the lane and gets a hand on the ball to knock it lose. Kelly snatches the loose ball emphatically, and the game is all but over.

--------------

They both have such incredible anticipation when they're in tune with the action, and both seem to be able to see plays before they develop. Curry in particular is just a gamer though, which I love. No fear on the biggest stages, with everything on the line... it's like he starts moving faster and with more purpose as things get more clutch. He just wants to rip your heart out.

YES. Good call on Seth's heady floor play on the defensive end. Kelly was a revelation today. And I almost feel like our three main bigs are starting to influence each other stylistically. Love seeing a general creativity from every one of our top seven players. Can't really say enough about the last few days.

K's genius today was in constantly subbing in Miles Mason and Kelly for one another. It was as if he couldn't not play any one of them, and decided to keep them fresh the entire game while constantly being warm. And when one of them made a less than wise foul, they could come out, settle down, and then go right back in.

jefreema
03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
i agree. i have been lurking over here for this entire season, mostly because TDD got to be too much to deal with. i think it was the constant references to how many "posts" people have and the tendency of the mods to be condescending to the posters, as if they were children.

in any case, this is one fantastic day!! we are playing some really inspired ball right now. thi steam seems like some bizarre amalgam of last years team and 2001's team.

i am so excited for this ncaa tourney!

I do not understand why anyone would want to go to IC. What do you expect? And I don't say that as "typical UNC fans" but rather, as typical freeboard fans. TDD is everybit as bad, worse for me since it embarrasses me as a Duke fan.

I have no desire to go over there, get my panties all in a wad about what they're saying, and then come back over here to re-hash it.

I'm just glad we have this much more tightly moderated oasis in the internet wilderness, though I swear too many of you just seem intent in bringing in the poison!

I'm celebrating Duke, for Duke's sake.

wilko
03-14-2011, 06:31 AM
K crushed roy today....his rotations were right in sync with the game and he out coached huck big time.....

was it just my hyped up jitters? or were the substitutions much more frequent and varied..?

go duke...

Still sky high after that game! Thats the 1st complete game where Duke has played all year. Both halves 100% effort, with their stuff WORKING. Very positive. Right time for that to emerge.

I never feel good when we play UNC. Their penchant for doing a Houdini impression is uncanny. No lead is safe. Ever. Having seen their previous 2 games and miracle escapes in the ACCT had me on edge. I never felt secure in the win until RK got a dunk in the 2nd. Once that happened, complete nose dive..there was no pulling out of the loss for them.

Questions:
1. Is it just me, or has it been a while since Roy said something stupid? Seems to coincide with winning some games. Maybe he was smarter than I gave him credit for... acting as a lightning rod for all the heat/comments/negative feedback/ill tempered fans during their struggles sure has helped them gell.... They were more fun when he was talking out his wahzoo.

2. So did our recruiting gurus get any feedback from prospects over our continued poor post play? That performance ought to open the eyes of some recruits. (I hope, paging Mr Parker..)

3. I think K is a master at pacing development of a team. Folks have been clamoring for a Post game for some time (self included) and now we seem to have one. There ain't much tape on how to defend it and much time to prepare for it. The guys are confident. Our go-to men are tempered and tested. Now our emerging post is yet another variable for opposing coaches to address... with short time for the opposition to prep for play... Will have to wait and see if this can continue but I am opTOEmistic.
But perhaps I'm trying to hard and am off-base?

oldnavy
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Still sky high after that game! Thats the 1st complete game where Duke has played all year. Both halves 100% effort, with their stuff WORKING. Very positive. Right time for that to emerge.

I never feel good when we play UNC. Their penchant for doing a Houdini impression is uncanny. No lead is safe. Ever. Having seen their previous 2 games and miracle escapes in the ACCT had me on edge. I never felt secure in the win until RK got a dunk in the 2nd. Once that happened, complete nose dive..there was no pulling out of the loss for them.

Questions:
1. Is it just me, or has it been a while since Roy said something stupid? Seems to coincide with winning some games. Maybe he was smarter than I gave him credit for... acting as a lightning rod for all the heat/comments/negative feedback/ill tempered fans during their struggles sure has helped them gell.... They were more fun when he was talking out his wahzoo.

2. So did our recruiting gurus get any feedback from prospects over our continued poor post play? That performance ought to open the eyes of some recruits. (I hope, paging Mr Parker..)

3. I think K is a master at pacing development of a team. Folks have been clamoring for a Post game for some time (self included) and now we seem to have one. There ain't much tape on how to defend it and much time to prepare for it. The guys are confident. Our go-to men are tempered and tested. Now our emerging post is yet another variable for opposing coaches to address... with short time for the opposition to prep for play... Will have to wait and see if this can continue but I am opTOEmistic.
But perhaps I'm trying to hard and am off-base?

No, it is not you... I have been waiting all year for him to revert to last year’s mode, but alas, he is much more genial when he is winning. The closest thing was after the game yesterday where he said experience won out over talent (paraphrasing). I would strongly disagree because I think that Duke in addition to being slightly more experienced is also more talented... but it even that statement is mild compared to last year’s gaffs....

oldnavy
03-14-2011, 06:58 AM
A word on the refs... my son and wife (as most of you know) are DIE HARD UNC fans and the hate all things Duke (except me :cool:). My wife made a comment about the VT game and how Duke was getting rotten calls, and believe me THAT never happens.

Well today, my son made a comment that he thought the refs were bad BOTH ways, which also never happens... I usually have to throw stats at them to get them to be quite, but today they realized that there were bad calls and bad no calls on both sides. My son mentioned two bad calls that went against Duke, one the foul on Kyle on the Zeller break away, where there was little to no contact, and the second on Nolan when he was tying Strickland (McDonald?) up for the loose ball. He said that both of those calls were bad...

Maybe I am making progress with them!! It is a difficult process to be sure.

Now I am hearing how easy Duke's bracket is.... somethings never change!!

freshmanjs
03-14-2011, 07:15 AM
No, it is not you... I have been waiting all year for him to revert to last year’s mode, but alas, he is much more genial when he is winning. The closest thing was after the game yesterday where he said experience won out over talent (paraphrasing). I would strongly disagree because I think that Duke in addition to being slightly more experienced is also more talented... but it even that statement is mild compared to last year’s gaffs....

again, that is not at all what he said. he said "experienced talent" won out over "talent". its not a gaffe at all.

wsb3
03-14-2011, 08:16 AM

I completely agree with your statement. A UNC FB Friend of mine posted that UNC was really #1 because they won the regular season. Well actually no.....

jdj4duke
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
If poor losers or Duke haters want to go there, then the same could be said about the celebration UNC players and their fans had on the court at the Dean Dome after beating Duke last week for the ACC regular season. Saying that, I'd like the Duke players jump around like they won the lottery a few more times between now and April.;)

AND ON SUNDAY THE UNC FANS STORM

......the exits

77devil
03-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Well, not all gauntlets are created equal. With the demise of the home and home conference schedule, the regular season championship is significantly diminished. Frankly, the ACC should officially eliminate it. It's largely meaningless.

I suppose Duke hands out rings or something comparable for the regular season title, but there was never a doubt for the team that hangs a 3rd place NIT and bakery championship banner.

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm still so incredibly happy about this ACC Championship. I mean, I can't imagine a better game to watch than yesterday's.

Nolan just using and abusing people with the hesitation/crossover dribbles to get to the basket.

The denying of passes into the post on defense? Superb!

The team effort of absolutely shutting down Harrison Barnes at every turn!

Aggressiveness by Brothers Plumlee on offense!

I'm still on top of the world! Might watch the game again tonight!

dukelifer
03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I completely agree with your statement. A UNC FB Friend of mine posted that UNC was really #1 because they won the regular season. Well actually no.....

Local talk radio today reminded us that UNC has not won the ACC tourney and have done quite well in the tourney. In 1993, 2005 and 2009 they did not win it and then went on to win the NC. A few things for UNC fans to ponder. When UNC plays Duke in the final- win or lose- they have never won the NC. If they lose to Duke in the ACCT- they have not gone on to the FF. Finally, they have never won the NC in the modern era without being a 1 seed.

Lord Ash
03-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Woke up, and MAN still happy about winning the ACC!:D

Go Duke!

BattierBattalion
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Local talk radio today reminded us that UNC has not won the ACC tourney and have done quite well in the tourney. In 1993, 2005 and 2009 they did not win it and then went on to win the NC. A few things for UNC fans to ponder. When UNC plays Duke in the final- win or lose- they have never won the NC. If they lose to Duke in the ACCT- they have not gone on to the FF. Finally, they have never won the NC in the modern era without being a 1 seed.

Plus that's just stupid logic to begin with. I'm willing to bet that in most years they didn't win the ACCT, they did not win NCAAT.

FerryFor50
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Wow... after rushing the court and cutting down nets last week, they had the nerve to whine about how Duke's players celebrated? Classy.

CharlestonDevil
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Can someone please find me a good picture of Nolan jumping in to K's arms at the end of the game??? The one on the ESPN game recap is of K's back.

Man, our boys are good. We may be in a recession but for The Plumlee Brothers Dunking Company business was BOOMING yesterday!

GTHC!!!

1 24 90
03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Can someone please find me a good picture of Nolan jumping in to K's arms at the end of the game??? The one on the ESPN game recap is of K's back.

Man, our boys are good. We may be in a recession but for The Plumlee Brothers Dunking Company business was BOOMING yesterday!

GTHC!!!

Check out dukeblueplanet.com and the Raleigh news & Observer website. I think they both have good pictures.

Chicago 1995
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Thank you, but really it's nothing, cause posting on a message board makes a very poor profession.

If Duke had finished six games behind UNC in the ACC Regular Season standings, as UConn did to Pitt, you might have a point.

Alas, we finished one game behind UNC, and have won two of three from them.

And we'll be recognized as the 2011 ACC Champions, no matter what fancy math you employ.

Devil07
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM

It's also of Coach's back, but I love how much air he's getting in this picture! (courtesy Duke Blue Planet (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/ACC-Tournament/ACC-Championship-Duke-75-UNC/16183218_8QnbR#1215328353_vXy8N-A-LB))
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/ACC-Tournament/ACC-Championship-Duke-75-UNC/UNCACC-66/1215328353_vXy8N-L.jpg

I love Coach's emotion and how much he seemed to be enjoying yesterday. I don't know if anyone saw it, but during the last 30 second timeout, with the team circled around him, Coach seemed to do a huge full-body fist pump. The cameras didn't show us a lot, but it was great to see!

Troublemaker
03-14-2011, 11:12 AM

LOL.

Duke went 16-3 in the ACC this year. Carolina went 16-3 as well.

BUT, Duke held a 2-1 advantage head to head AND won the ACC championship.... by stomping UNC on a neutral court (arguably neutral, since there were more UNC fans present) in the title game.

CharlestonDevil
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I love Coach's emotion and how much he seemed to be enjoying yesterday. I don't know if anyone saw it, but during the last 30 second timeout, with the team circled around him, Coach seemed to do a huge full-body fist pump. The cameras didn't show us a lot, but it was great to see!

How awesome is it to be a Duke fan? I mean really... this is nuts.

dukeballboy88
03-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Im glad K figured out that unc's only ball handler cant dribble, or go to his right and he cant score. If you apply pressure to marshall and then dont come to help and make him make a lay up, unc is in trouble.

Great win. Duke made open shots that they missed in the snooze dome and that was the difference. The better team won and took the series.

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Well folks it's a grey, rainy morning in the mountains of North Carolina. But all I can see is sunshine!! How sweet it is! Proudly waving my Duke flag on the Jeep this morning for all the haters to see! I really couldn't have imagined a better finish to the ACC season yesterday. This is like the opposite of a tough loss that I just can't get past. I can't stop thinking about this win! AWESOME!! And madness just around the corner...

PADukeMom
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
This is the reason Nolan & Kyle came back for their senior year...that moment!

Now about t-shirts...does anyone know where I can find the t-shirts I saw yesterday that had the word "one" with words around the one?

It's a great day to be a DUKE fan!

Devil07
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Now about t-shirts...does anyone know where I can find the t-shirts I saw yesterday that had the word "one" with words around the one?

I believe that those shirts were just for family of the players and said "The Ones behind the One" in reference to the team poster this year. Great shirts, but I doubt those will be available for purchase (unless of course you happen to be related to a player!)

Faison1
03-14-2011, 12:03 PM
K vs. Dean (1981-1997) ... K 17; Dean 21
K: 5 reg, 3 tourney, 7 FF, 2 NC
D: 8 reg, 6 tourney, 5 FF, 2 NC

K vs. Gut (1998-2000) ... K 6; Gut 3
K: 3 reg, 2 tourney, 1 FF, 0 NC
G: 0 reg, 1 tourney, 2 FF, 0 NC

K vs. Doh (2001-2003) ... K 6; Doh 1
K: 1 reg, 3 tourney, 1 FF, 1 NC
D: 1 reg, 0 tourney, 0 FF, 0 NC

K vs. Roy (2004-2011) ... K 11; Roy 12
K: 3 reg, 5 tourney, 2 FF, 1 NC
R: 5 reg, 2 tourney, 3 FF, 2 NC

Thanks for posting those stats...always great to see. But, unless I am misreading something, I think K's head to head record against Roy at UNC is:

K 9; Roy 8

Please pardon me if I misunderstood your numbers.

Saratoga2
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
We played our best defensive game of the year and also played with a balanced offense with most of our guys really looking very solid. The interesting and positive thing about this game is we still can play better. Kyle certainly wasn't hitting 3's again. Our bigs missed a number of free throw opportunities and we had some unforced turnovers.

The team has show great improvement over the ACC tournament. Who would doubt that there will be additional improvement going into the NCAA's. Then there is the possibiloity of Kyrie getting back. Lots of positives for Duke.

superdave
03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
We played our best defensive game of the year and also played with a balanced offense with most of our guys really looking very solid. The interesting and positive thing about this game is we still can play better. Kyle certainly wasn't hitting 3's again. Our bigs missed a number of free throw opportunities and we had some unforced turnovers.

The team has show great improvement over the ACC tournament. Who would doubt that there will be additional improvement going into the NCAA's. Then there is the possibiloity of Kyrie getting back. Lots of positives for Duke.

Dont forget the silly fouls and ticky tack calls that went Unc's way. Kyle had two dumb fouls - one on Henson's layup and the other at close of the 1st half. Our bigs had some to start out the game too. Eliminate half those mistakes and we win by a lot more yesterday.

But I agree on your point - we have not played a full 40 on both sides of the ball yet. The balanced scoring in the ACCT was incredibly encouraging. The guys were really having fun and put the dog days of the ACC behind them this past weekend.

TonyWR
03-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Well folks it's a grey, rainy morning in the mountains of North Carolina. But all I can see is sunshine!! How sweet it is! Proudly waving my Duke flag on the Jeep this morning for all the haters to see! I really couldn't have imagined a better finish to the ACC season yesterday. This is like the opposite of a tough loss that I just can't get past. I can't stop thinking about this win! AWESOME!! And madness just around the corner...

Same here! The car flag comes out today! and I'll proudly be wearing my ACC dominance shirt in a few days!

Go Duke!

wilson
03-14-2011, 01:01 PM
My standard running route is often heavily populated with tar heels and other enemy fans (and yesterday, right before the game, Andre 3000...but that's another matter entirely). I frequently wear Duke gear when I run, just to serve notice that we're here. I will enjoy doing so today as much as I ever have.

GLTBD
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
My husband and I were fortunate to go to Greensboro and stay at the team hotel. I got to meet Kyrie who signed several pieces of Duke items as well as Kyle. I did mention to Kyrie I prayed for his toe in which he thanked me. What a game on Sunday I can't even describe the emotions our section was awesome when it came to cheering. I want to thank Duke and the other Iron Dukes for this past weekend, Even though my husband and I has no ties to Duke (except the Iron Dukes), we are Temple Grads they welcomed us with open arms. I love Duke and this team and hope to join them in Houston. GO DUKE!

Since I forgot to DVR the games this past weekend does anyone know if the DUKE/UNC game will be available for purchase?

sdotbarbee
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
My husband and I were fortunate to go to Greensboro and stay at the team hotel. I got to meet Kyrie who signed several pieces of Duke items as well as Kyle. I did mention to Kyrie I prayed for his toe in which he thanked me. What a game on Sunday I can't even describe the emotions our section was awesome when it came to cheering. I want to thank Duke and the other Iron Dukes for this past weekend, Even though my husband and I has no ties to Duke (except the Iron Dukes), we are Temple Grads they welcomed us with open arms. I love Duke and this team and hope to join them in Houston. GO DUKE!

Since I forgot to DVR the games this past weekend does anyone know if the DUKE/UNC game will be available for purchase?

You can set your DVR for 3:00a.m. on ESPNU, they are reshowing the ACC final.:)

GLTBD
03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
You can set your DVR for 3:00a.m. on ESPNU, they are reshowing the ACC final.:)

Is this 3:00am Mar 15?

The Gordog
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM

WOW!

You do know that in the era of unbalanced regular season schedules the season record is not worth much, don't you?

jimsumner
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
This is the reason Nolan & Kyle came back for their senior year...that moment!!

Sorta. Maybe. Kinda.

Not really.

sdotbarbee
03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Is this 3:00am Mar 15?

Yes, 3a.m. on March 15th.

JRH1010
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
WOW!

You do know that in the era of unbalanced regular season schedules the season record is not worth much, don't you?

You mean unless Duke wins it? Come on, lets be serious. Both UNC and Duke consider both of those feats to be championships and hang banners for both. Unbalanced or not. That is about as silly as the UNC fans I have heard saying they dont care if they win the ACC tourney. Duke and UNC both want to win them all including the National Championship.

JRH1010
03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
And for the record, congrats on Dukes win yesterday. It really isnt hard to figure out and I dont know where the rubber match NCAA tourney game the above poster was talking about comes from. We played 3 times, Duke won twice, you guys got us this year.

elvis14
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm still on cloud 9. I loved all 3 games but especially the ACC Championship game. What has me most excited, however is how much this game reminded me of our NCAAT games last year. I feel so much better going into the NCAAT than I did just a few short days ago.

I need to go back and find some of my pre-game posts that mentioned a few adjustments I'd like to see....I think they were all made :-). Make checks payable to elvis14!!!!

I hope Duke gives the players a ring for today's win, and I'm sure they will. Winning the tourney is a great accomplishment too.

This passive aggressive junk just isn't necessary. There is no "too". There is one ACC champion and it's Duke. With an unbalanced schedule, there isn't a regular season champion any more.

This is why I'm not a moderator, I would have just deleted that post and banned this guy for 2 months ;)

Yet another reason for me to rewatch the game. I missed Curry slapping the floor!

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

gam7
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
This passive aggressive junk just isn't necessary. There is no "too". There is one ACC champion and it's Duke. With an unbalanced schedule, there isn't a regular season champion any more.

You know, I've seen a lot of people on this site (you're not the only one, elvis) talk about (1) how the conference champion is the official "ACC Champion" in contrast to the "ACC Regular Season Champion," and (2) how the unbalanced schedule makes the regular season championship meaningless.

With respect to (1), this is simply a matter of semantics and I'm not sure why this discussion comes up so often and why people seem to get in a tizzy over it. It seems to be a matter of fact that the ACC tournament winner is called the "ACC Champion," and the regular season champion is the the "ACC Regular Season Champion." But who cares what the titles are? We know what they signify - one represents the best body of work over the course of the season and the other represents the best team on a neutral court at the most important time of the year.

With respect to (2), I'm not sure why the unbalanced schedule makes the regular season championship meaningless. If you believe that, would you also say that winning a division in baseball (where teams in the same division play sometimes play different interleague teams and play different numbers of games against the same interleague opponents) is also meaningless? Would you say that winning a division in the NFL is meaningless when teams play vastly different schedules based on their schedules the previous year?

wilson
03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Did I miss it, or is there just not the normal list of postgame links today? I always enjoy working through those, especially for such a memorable game as yesterday's. I know there's a lot happening in the basketball world right now, but I hate for there not to be the list, as I'm not capable of independently reproducing it in as thorough fashion as DBR always does.

Greg_Newton
03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Did I miss it, or is there just not the normal list of postgame links today? I always enjoy working through those, especially for such a memorable game as yesterday's. I know there's a lot happening in the basketball world right now, but I hate for there not to be the list, as I'm not capable of independently reproducing it in as thorough fashion as DBR always does.

Check "article links": on the right side of this page: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205115066

BTW, I <3 Seth Curry. This was a vintage ACCT shot:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/AM/AMQBSTCCSLUGCZC.20110313211248.jpg

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/DL/DLCSGUNFROABXJT.20110313211337.jpg

DukieInKansas
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I love the way the team is ready to cheer even before the ball has left his hand!

What a fun game.

roywhite
03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the pics, Greg Newton.

Loved the reaction of Coach K; rarely see him celebrate like that during a game. Do you think he wanted this game.....or what?

Greg_Newton
03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the pics, Greg Newton.

Loved the reaction of Coach K; rarely see him celebrate like that during a game. Do you think he wanted this game.....or what?

Yeah, there's something about that second pic that gives me the chills. Pretty much captures the emotion of what the ACC tournament should be all about, from all angles.

jv001
03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, there's something about that second pic that gives me the chills. Pretty much captures the emotion of what the ACC tournament should be all about, from all angles.

we have a coach that appreciates the ACCT and gets the team ready to play in it each year. To bad old roy doesn't appreciate the tournament like that. Or is it he doesn't know how to get his team ready. Really unc should have lost the first two games they played. Go Duke!

wilko
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Really unc should have lost the first two games they played. Go Duke!

I imagine this scenario played out on Friday and Sat....

RING... RING... RING...
Hello?
"uhh Hi Mike?"
Yes?
"Hey, look its me Frank. I dont know if you are watching the game... we just called timeout... Hey man, we are up 18 on UNC with about 6 min left to go... WTF do we do now? Hold on, I'ma put you on speakerphone..."

THAT is ladies and gentlemen, that performance is how you slay the wicked witch... No Fear! No Wilt. Steely eyed missle men.

Congrats on the Title. Best game of the year!!

UNC - No shame. Congratulations on finishing runner up. A fine season for you guys. Even tho y'all insist on misspelling our name in a "potty-like" fashion; we know you guys are the real #2.

Faison1
03-14-2011, 09:33 PM

I agree. The emotion K displays is so authentic. When the G-man did the after game interview with K, I could have sworn I saw tears in his eyes. Maybe I'm wrong.

ajgoodfella7
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Excellent article that touches on Nolan Smith's mindset of showing KM who's boss from the outset, and also some good stuff from KM's point of view after the game:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-14/kendall-marshall-a-student-of-nolan-smiths-game-ncaa-tournament-2011

-bdbd
03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
You mean unless Duke wins it? Come on, lets be serious. Both UNC and Duke consider both of those feats to be championships and hang banners for both. Unbalanced or not. That is about as silly as the UNC fans I have heard saying they dont care if they win the ACC tourney. Duke and UNC both want to win them all including the National Championship.

Yes, true, but only ONE of them earns the right to conference's automatic birth in the NCAA Tournament. Now let me think, which one is that? :rolleyes:

BTW, this most recent NC spin/view of "ACC regular season champion" is a relatively new thing, and honestly makes me chuckle. Back when I was in school in the 80's, and NC was regularly winning the ACCT, THAT was the "championship" that they talked about - and not at all about who had the regular season that simply served to earn their team the #1 seed in the ACCT. Funny how only winning just two championships in over a dozen years changes their perspective on things... HA! ;)

It sort of makes you harken back for the days of the conferences only getting one bid to the NCAA Tournament (pre-70's) - and that obviously went to the ACCT winner/champion. Funny that that process made this "dual-championships" argument or spin silliness pretty obviously just that - silly. Nobody made such funny arguments back then.

I don't begrudge Williams the spin in recent years arguing that the ACCT isn't important -- to JRH's point, we'd probably try to make the same argument too if WE could never win the tournament ourselves (though I doubt K would). And, to be honest, I know that I would make the same "co-champions" passive-aggressive statements to my NC friends like Wheat does here. BUT, in private, and among fellow Dukies, I'd still acknowledge which one is really more important... and that is the one that gets the automatic birth recognition by the Conference. Sorry, but that is just the frank and honest truth.

For now, just look upon their "regular season champs" talk as simply a nice consolation prize for them, and smile. ......... It just doesn't matter. :D

Bluedog
03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Top ten plays from Duke Blue Planet is out. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QSTOAXvVJU

Sir Stealth
03-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I doubt anyone ever heard a UNC fan claim that the regular season championship was the real championship in '97 or '98, just like no one ever had to look at that big Helms Trophy banner before 1992.

I honestly love seeing UNC do things which are beneath them, such as rush the court after beating us when they are a top 15 team or cut down their own nets in their own stadium for placing first in an unbalanced conference regular season (which they've even done when tying for it). You can call me a smug Duke fan if you want, but this is UNC, a program that has an argument for being the best of all time. There was definitely a time when I could never envision them having to strain or come up with excuses when comparing themselves to us. Feels great to be on top.

This Championship means so much, and those who doubted can see why so many wanted Carolina to get to that final so that we could have another shot. Feels great no matter what happens going forward.

moonpie23
03-15-2011, 06:29 AM
roy had to give his team SOMETHING.......that NIT LOSER banner wasn't sitting well with the team OR the fans...

that is quite possibly HWNSNBM last game in the schnozzdome....

man, the holes fans were in ChurchMouse mode yesterday....

oldnavy
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM
again, that is not at all what he said. he said "experienced talent" won out over "talent". its not a gaffe at all.

You are correct, I did miss quote Roy on that, my apologies. Roy has been much improved this year over last, both with his comments and his coaching IMO.

Matches
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
With respect to (2), I'm not sure why the unbalanced schedule makes the regular season championship meaningless. If you believe that, would you also say that winning a division in baseball (where teams in the same division play sometimes play different interleague teams and play different numbers of games against the same interleague opponents) is also meaningless? Would you say that winning a division in the NFL is meaningless when teams play vastly different schedules based on their schedules the previous year?

It's not meaningless, and despite what some folks say I don't think anyone really thinks it is. It's hyperbole, is all. The Regular Season title is a less reliable indicator than it used to be when we had the double round robin - recall 2007 when UVa ended up tied for first with UNC largely because they played a much weaker schedule - but winning the regular season is still an achievement of note.

As to whether the regular season or ACCT is more important - matter of opinion, I suppose. Clearly the ACCT winner is the official conference champion. My personal opinion is that it varies year by year. UNC's regular season title this year feels hollow. Our regular season title in 1998 felt hollow. OTOH our 2004 regular season title still felt significant after the ACCT loss to Maryland.

wilson
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Top ten plays from Duke Blue Planet is out. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QSTOAXvVJULove it...thanks for the heads-up. There are a couple of pretty serious fat lips going on in there, too (jeez, Mason...). Has there been any point in the last four years when Kyle Singler didn't have a fat lip? What a battler.

PADukeMom
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I believe that those shirts were just for family of the players and said "The Ones behind the One" in reference to the team poster this year. Great shirts, but I doubt those will be available for purchase (unless of course you happen to be related to a player!)

Thanks. Those are the ones. I guess they must of "forgot" about me since Nolan is my adopted son.

Is there any video of the net cutting?

howardlander
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree with the below: The regular season is not meaningless, it's always more fun to watch your team win. But for me the ACC Tournament is MUCH more important than the regular season. In fact I'd say it's the equivalent of getting to the Final Four.

Howard

It's not meaningless, and despite what some folks say I don't think anyone really thinks it is. It's hyperbole, is all. The Regular Season title is a less reliable indicator than it used to be when we had the double round robin - recall 2007 when UVa ended up tied for first with UNC largely because they played a much weaker schedule - but winning the regular season is still an achievement of note.

As to whether the regular season or ACCT is more important - matter of opinion, I suppose. Clearly the ACCT winner is the official conference champion. My personal opinion is that it varies year by year. UNC's regular season title this year feels hollow. Our regular season title in 1998 felt hollow. OTOH our 2004 regular season title still felt significant after the ACCT loss to Maryland.

TonyWR
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I doubt anyone ever heard a UNC fan claim that the regular season championship was the real championship in '97 or '98, just like no one ever had to look at that big Helms Trophy banner before 1992.

I honestly love seeing UNC do things which are beneath them, such as rush the court after beating us when they are a top 15 team or cut down their own nets in their own stadium for placing first in an unbalanced conference regular season (which they've even done when tying for it). You can call me a smug Duke fan if you want, but this is UNC, a program that has an argument for being the best of all time. There was definitely a time when I could never envision them having to strain or come up with excuses when comparing themselves to us. Feels great to be on top.

This Championship means so much, and those who doubted can see why so many wanted Carolina to get to that final so that we could have another shot. Feels great no matter what happens going forward.

So true, they maximize a tarhole win and are always trying to minimize a Duke win. Typical tarhole behavior. They are insecure and intimidated by anything Duke related. I just had a brainiac hole fan tell me that "Duke got lucky on Sunday", lmao. Their ignorance mixed with arrogance is truly amazing. They can't admit defeat, it's always the fact that the holes gave the game away or Duke had the refs in their pocket or Duke got lucky. There's nothing worse than a cry baby loser than can't take a loss or admit they got spanked by a superior team. You call it luck, I call it talent...durrrrrrr.

Chard
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Did anyone ever tally the number of total halves won? <snicker> Does that still come out to 2-1? ;)

nocilla
03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1897

How awesome is it to be a Duke fan? I mean really... this is nuts.

This was a great moment. Even my wife, who is a UNC fan, teared up after seeing it. Of course she blamed it on pregnancy hormones but she appreciated it nonetheless.

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, true, but only ONE of them earns the right to conference's automatic birth in the NCAA Tournament. Now let me think, which one is that? :rolleyes:

BTW, this most recent NC spin/view of "ACC regular season champion" is a relatively new thing, and honestly makes me chuckle. Back when I was in school in the 80's, and NC was regularly winning the ACCT, THAT was the "championship" that they talked about - and not at all about who had the regular season that simply served to earn their team the #1 seed in the ACCT. Funny how only winning just two championships in over a dozen years changes their perspective on things... HA! ;)

It sort of makes you harken back for the days of the conferences only getting one bid to the NCAA Tournament (pre-70's) - and that obviously went to the ACCT winner/champion. Funny that that process made this "dual-championships" argument or spin silliness pretty obviously just that - silly. Nobody made such funny arguments back then.

I don't begrudge Williams the spin in recent years arguing that the ACCT isn't important -- to JRH's point, we'd probably try to make the same argument too if WE could never win the tournament ourselves (though I doubt K would). And, to be honest, I know that I would make the same "co-champions" passive-aggressive statements to my NC friends like Wheat does here. BUT, in private, and among fellow Dukies, I'd still acknowledge which one is really more important... and that is the one that gets the automatic birth recognition by the Conference. Sorry, but that is just the frank and honest truth.

For now, just look upon their "regular season champs" talk as simply a nice consolation prize for them, and smile. ......... It just doesn't matter. :D

So you honestly believe that the ACC tourney is the only champion in the ACC? I will come ask that again when we win it and see if the response is the same. I would venture to say not. I would venture to say that in private you would tell your fellow Dukies that the regular season is the more important. But to each is own, that is the frank and honest truth.

This is College Basketball in North Carolina, I would argue that the autobid is useless and no one cares. You want to beat Duke (or UNC if you are Duke), win the regular season (regardless of an unbalanced schedule), win the tournament, and win the NC. And beat Duke (or UNC if you are Duke).

I personally will take either one and dont argue that one is more important than the other. And I dont say that UNC won the regular season and Duke won the ACC Tourney and the regular season is more important because there are more games. A title is a title with the NC being the one. When my buddy and I watched the final game of the year at UNC, we were BOTH wanting to win the regular season TITLE, he didnt dismiss it as not a championship because of an unblanced schedule or because he lost it, it is what it is, the regular season title. Only State fans argue that. Recognized by the NCAAT or the NIT or anybody else doesnt seem to matter to the fans that I know. If we would have lost it, he would have been happy to win both the regular season and the tourney. I dont see the rub in both of them being amazing feats and sure dont crow because we won the regular season and dont wilt because we lost the tourney. Now to lose both would have surely sucked.

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM

http://www.videosurf.com/video/sean-dockery-hits-a-crazy-shot-at-the-last-second-to-beat-vt-53531640

This is Duke storming the court at home while they were ranked number 1 in the nation, during the first game of the season and beating a team that went 4-12 and didnt make the tournament. I came to this board becuase it is tough to sit on Inside Carolina and get patted on the back all day long and it seemed much more reasonable than that Devils Den. I like to see the other side. But comments like this one and talking about how terrible Harrison Barnes is (solely because he didnt come to your school) and comments on IC about KI being a non-factor in the tournament and selling his sole to the devil to play makes it tough to go anywhere and read about Duke and UNC. Some people are clueless. UNC won in 05' and 09' and they are having to strain to compare themselves to Duke? Duke won last year and may win it this year and they are the best of all time? You guys do realize that when we you die, the series is going to have been damn near 50/50 during your lifetime.

killerleft
03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
So you honestly believe that the ACC tourney is the only champion in the ACC? I will come ask that again when we win it and see if the response is the same. I would venture to say not. I would venture to say that in private you would tell your fellow Dukies that the regular season is the more important. But to each is own, that is the frank and honest truth.

This is College Basketball in North Carolina, I would argue that the autobid is useless and no one cares. You want to beat Duke (or UNC if you are Duke), win the regular season (regardless of an unbalanced schedule), win the tournament, and win the NC. And beat Duke (or UNC if you are Duke).

I personally will take either one and dont argue that one is more important than the other. And I dont say that UNC won the regular season and Duke won the ACC Tourney and the regular season is more important because there are more games. A title is a title with the NC being the one. When my buddy and I watched the final game of the year at UNC, we were BOTH wanting to win the regular season TITLE, he didnt dismiss it as not a championship because of an unblanced schedule or because he lost it, it is what it is, the regular season title. Only State fans argue that. Recognized by the NCAAT or the NIT or anybody else doesnt seem to matter to the fans that I know. If we would have lost it, he would have been happy to win both the regular season and the tourney. I dont see the rub in both of them being amazing feats and sure dont crow because we won the regular season and dont wilt because we lost the tourney. Now to lose both would have surely sucked.

The ACC Champion for the year is Duke. That's it. Sugarcoat it as people will when another team wins the tournament, the regular season champ is just that. How we react depending on which side we're on is irrelevant. Maybe one day, your mind will assimilate this, maybe not. But the truth will still grin at you and say, "Gotcha!".

Perhaps one day this will change. It hasn't changed yet.

moonpie23
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
So you honestly believe that the ACC tourney is the only champion in the ACC?

ummm....yes..

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/acc-m-baskbl-archive.html

Duvall
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
So you honestly believe that the ACC tourney is the only champion in the ACC?

It's not a matter of belief. The conference by-laws state that the winner of the ACC Tournament is the conference champion.

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
The ACC Champion for the year is Duke. That's it. Sugarcoat it as people will when another team wins the tournament, the regular season champ is just that. How we react depending on which side we're on is irrelevant. Maybe one day, your mind will assimilate this, maybe not. But the truth will still grin at you and say, "Gotcha!".

Perhaps one day this will change. It hasn't changed yet.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?19792-Potential-ACC-Tiebreakers

Just thought I would refresh your memory about the ACC Regular Season TITLE you were worried about having to share last year. But you are right, no one on DBR considers it a title. Unless they win it.

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
It's not a matter of belief. The conference by-laws state that the winner of the ACC Tournament is the conference champion.

Sweeping Duke (or UNC if you are a Duke fan) makes you the conference champion according the the "by-laws" of ACC Basketball in North Carolina : )

At least in my neck of the woods.

DevilHorns
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
http://www.videosurf.com/video/sean-dockery-hits-a-crazy-shot-at-the-last-second-to-beat-vt-53531640

But comments like this one and talking about how terrible Harrison Barnes is (solely because he didnt come to your school)

Why do UNC fans always think this? We don't think he's terrible because he picked UNC over Duke. There have been many many many players (all far less loathed, some even liked by Duke fans) that have picked UNC over Duke.

We hate him because of how disrespectful he was to our coaching staff and the KU coaching staff. If you recruit somebody for the duration of years I think it's fair to expect the decency of a phonecall. He pretty much pulled a Lebron stunt with his unearned Lebron-sized ego. The staged skype session with Roy was pathetic.

And it's not an isolated incident with Harrison. If you have DVR'd the ACC championship game, watch Harrison's attitude in the handshake line. Tyler Zeller and Kendal Marshall were both all class in terms of sportsmanship. The black falcon? Wouldn't even make eye contact. It's like he lost a middle school championship or something. In other words, he acts like a middle-schooler.

I am absolutely THRILLED that he is a tar heel. Good luck to him in the NBA next year; for his sake I hope he grows up fast.

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
But Duke is the more experienced, better team this year, without a doubt.

jv001
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
But Duke is the more experienced, better team this year, without a doubt.

And that's why Duke is the ACC Champion for 2010-2011. Go Duke!

JRH1010
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Why do UNC fans always think this? We don't think he's terrible because he picked UNC over Duke. There have been many many many players (all far less loathed, some even liked by Duke fans) that have picked UNC over Duke.

We hate him because of how disrespectful he was to our coaching staff and the KU coaching staff. If you recruit somebody for the duration of years the least you could expect is a simple phone call.

And it's not an isolated incident with Harrison. If you have DVR'd the ACC championship game, watch Harrison's attitude in the handshake line. Tyler Zeller and Kendal Marshall were both all class in terms of sportsmanship. The black falcon? Wouldn't even make eye contact. It's like he lost a middle school championship or something. In other words, he acts like a middle-schooler.

I am absolutely THRILLED that he is a tar heel. Good luck to him in the NBA next year; for his sake I hope he grows up fast.

The hate started loooooong before the last game of the season we played together and RIGHT after he announced he was going to Chapel Hill. And you hate the guy because you recruited him for years and he didnt come to your school and give you a phone call to tell you first? Really? I wonder how many times that has happened. I would assume a few. Be honest, you hate him because he was the number one recruit, you thought you had him, he picked UNC and it pissed you off. It is OK to admit it, I would have been too.