pfrduke
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Let's go Devils!

Chris Randolph
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Defense and make shots = WIN. That is all I will say about this game :D

superdave
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
We need to control the tempo of this here ballgame tomorrow. Nolan and Kyle need to exert their will and show us what they are made of.

I'm encouraged the way we've gotten contributions across the board the last two games and I expect that to carry over tomorrow. I think Mason is playing really well defensively too. He's logging a lot of minutes. We're going to be ready and come out swinging tomorrow. Hope we can force Unc into another slow start.

Super "Barnes is smirker" Dave

Son of Mojo
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Zone the fudge out of them and, like it has been mentioned before, pressure Marshall and deny him going to his left. Hopefully we can shoot significantly better than the last time against them..........and wouldn't it be sweet if, somehow, someway, KI suits up.

It's getting suddenly warm outside, y'all................

ajgoodfella7
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
One thing we really need to improve on from last game is getting back off made shots. UNC torched us in that department.

HorvathsGhost
03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
It's on! It's great that it ended up being them, playing this game on a neutral court will be great for us, win or lose.

PS by my research tomorrow will be only the second time in 16 years that Duke will wear road uniforms in an ACC tournament game ...

DukieInBrasil
03-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm encouraged the way we've gotten contributions across the board the last two games and I expect that to carry over tomorrow. I think Mason is playing really well defensively too. He's logging a lot of minutes. We're going to be ready and come out swinging tomorrow. Hope we can force Unc into another slow start. Super "Barnes is smirker" Dave
I agree. Another solid team performance as 7 guys scored 5 or more pts. Even though we shot poorly from 3, everybody contributed things that were good that went beyond scoring. The combo of the MPs and Kelly scored 22 pts + 10 boards, we're gonna need more of that tomorrow. The only gripe i've got with with Mason is his propensity to play out of control. He's done much better at limiting the stupid fouls out on the perimeter and he has reduced the silly gambling for steals too, but it seems that when he dribbles through traffic something bad happens, like a charge. He has taken the ball off the dribble from the outside and made some nice plays, but those were with nice lanes to the rim, not through traffic.
At any event, I think Clemson gave our bigguns a good look at how you can attack Henson effectively, I hope they use it.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Zone the fudge out of them

Until there's about 8-9 minutes left. That's when they start hitting 3s.

1 24 90
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
This is a huge game for seeding. I think it could be the difference between being possibly the 3rd #1 seed with a win to being a 2 seed with Ohio State or Kansas. I want this win bad................

GO DUKE!!!

(and another 30 win season would be nice too)

Reilly
03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
1967 UNC +09
1969 UNC +11
1979 UNC +08
1988 DUKE +04
1989 UNC +03
1991 UNC +22
1992 DUKE +20
1998 UNC +15
1999 DUKE +23
2001 DUKE +26

UNC leads 6-4.

sagegrouse
03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Here's what I would like to see --

1. Kyle holds Barnes to around 15 points.
2. Our bigs neutralize the UNC big men through good post defense.
3. Nolan, Kyle, and Seth penetrate the UNC defense and hit mid range jumpers and the floaters.
4. Nolan, Seth, and Tyler keep Marshall from penetrating and dishing.
5. Devils shoot 50%, including >35% from three, and close down the UNC fastbreak.

Pipe dream or wet dream: We get to play the UNC team that loafed through the first halves against Miami and Clemson! What the heck was going on? There was no energy at all.

sagegrouse

devildeac
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Paging Ozzie. You have a thread to start.

Bob Green
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Pipe dream or wet dream: We get to play the UNC team that loafed through the first halves against Miami and Clemson! What the heck was going on? There was no energy at all.

sagegrouse

Pipe dream for sure. Carolina will show up ready to play but we will as well. Game on! Let's Go Duke!!!

diveonthefloor
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
It's on! It's great that it ended up being them, playing this game on a neutral court will be great for us...

Theoretically neutral....practically-----> anything but!

Bob Green
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM

I believe ACC Ref's paychecks come from the Chapel Hill branch of NCNB. :)

Matches
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
It's on! It's great that it ended up being them, playing this game on a neutral court will be great for us, win or lose.

PS by my research tomorrow will be only the second time in 16 years that Duke will wear road uniforms in an ACC tournament game ...

Third time. Remember when the white unis got left in Durham in 2001 and both teams wore road unis in our matchup with State?

We are 2-0 in the road unis during that time, though.

epoulsen
03-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I would like to think given that UNC is pretty thin and that they have not played 3 games in as many days since they lost LDII and Bullock we have an edge with respect to who could succumb to fatigue first. Especially since in the previous two games the opposing teams really made Carolina work for it.

epoulsen
03-12-2011, 07:42 PM

There are an awful lot of UNC fans here

4decadedukie
03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Here's what I would like to see --

1. Kyle holds Barnes to around 15 points.
2. Our bigs neutralize the UNC big men through good post defense.
3. Nolan, Kyle, and Seth penetrate the UNC defense and hit mid range jumpers and the floaters.
4. Nolan, Seth, and Tyler keep Marshall from penetrating and dishing.
5. Devils shoot 50%, including >35% from three, and close down the UNC fastbreakak

A wise list of victory priorities.

wilson
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Keys as I see them:

1. Tempo-Don't let them run a bunch. Especially during the second half, this was a problem in chapel hill. We know that Roy's teams thrive on the transition game, and we must methodically limit such opportunities. We must also not allow any sense of urgency to rush our own game on the offensive end. Take smart shots and look for good opportunities, rather than going for the quick fix (over-eager emphasis on 3s) or overly spectacular play (too many silly, needlessly difficult lobs/alley oops, etc.).
2. Defense-In both Blacksburg and chapel hill, there were too many lapses...not getting back on D (especially after made buckets) and allowing too much penetration into the lane before picking up one's man. If Marshall gets too deep into the halfcourt and gets easy, short looks at Henson & Zeller, it will be problematic. All the more if the D belatedly collapses around him and leaves someone open on the perimeter. All season, part of the book on unc has been that they're not a very good shooting team, and I'd still say that to some extent, but they've been quite hot at times recently (They shot us out of the chapel hill game, and shot their way back into the games yesterday and today).
3. Discipline-In a rivalry game, emotions must be controlled. A lot of our slow starts of late have, to me, appeared to be a matter of being overexcited and pressing a bit. Then, when faced with some deficits, we've seemed to rush things a bit, hoping to bomb our way back into the game with 3s. When we're not making them, it a) digs holes even deeper, and b) creates lots of long rebounds, which can lead to easy transition chances for the opposition (see above). If stay under control and stick to our game plan, it will mean that the boys are working to get high-percentage shot opportunities following well-managed possessions, rather than relying on a hot shooting performance that may or may not ever materialize. We've done a good job of this the past two days, but in a matchup that will be so heavily influenced by tempo, it will be of even more paramount importance on Sunday.

If we do the above three things effectively, I think we'll have a very good shot at the win tomorrow.

jipops
03-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I would like to think given that UNC is pretty thin and that they have not played 3 games in as many days since they lost LDII and Bullock we have an edge with respect to who could succumb to fatigue first. Especially since in the previous two games the opposing teams really made Carolina work for it.

I think this is a mis-perception. UNC is still plenty deep, they have an 8-man rotation all of which have the ability to score. They also have plenty of experience coming off the bench with a senior, junior, and a soph. How many of the top teams in the country have a deeper rotation than 8 guys? Not many. Roy made the statement after today's game saying "we only have 8 guys available, we aren't deep". Compared to who? Our rotation was only 7 guys today.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
We get to play the UNC team that loafed through the first halves against Miami and Clemson! What the heck was going on? There was no energy at all.
sagegrouse

Saving their energy for the final?
(Or possibly, and more likely, a young team that still hasn't figured out the intensity level they need to have to be really good because they have been fortunate to win some close games).

I am encouraged about UNC because they still have not come close to playing a complete game, yet they are winning. They still have a whole level of improvement they are capable to reach.

I'm looking forward to one of these days where potential meets production. Lmac will hit his jumpers, and Dex will get to the rack, Henson will block and own the boards, Zeller scores in the paint, and Barnes does it all.....in the same game.

This game is a toss up, just like the other two.

Again, I think Barnes comes out aggressive. And I think UNC looks to go inside to Zeller and Henson every opportunity.

UNC needs somebody to step up besides those three. I do agree that Duke will likely pack it in, so my hope is that guy is Lmac with a hot hand. If UNC shoots it, then the inside opens up and Duke is toast.

For Duke, you gotta get something inside offensively, and watch the fouls. If the P's have to hit the pine, trouble. They don't need to score a lot, just some and play strong, smart, D.

Curry is Duke's wild card to me. A good shooting game from him and it's a long night for UNC.

I think we all know what Singler and Smith will do.

The atmosphere will be intense, more than UNC players have ever faced, but not Duke. They've played in a national championship game. Big edge to Duke here.

Games like this are why you play the game. Leave it all on the floor, and may the best team win.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2011, 08:04 PM
There are an awful lot of UNC fans here

Only crazy people go to the IC free board:)

#1Duke
03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
(Or possibly, and more likely, a young team that still hasn't figured out the intensity level they need to have to be really good because they have been fortunate to win some close games).

I am encouraged about UNC because they still have not come close to playing a complete game, yet they are winning. They still have a whole level of improvement they are capable to reach.

I'm looking forward to one of these days where potential meets production. Lmac will hit his jumpers, and Dex will get to the rack, Henson will block and own the boards, Zeller scores in the paint, and Barnes does it all.....in the same game.

This game is a toss up, just like the other two.

Again, I think Barnes comes out aggressive. And I think UNC looks to go inside to Zeller and Henson every opportunity.

UNC needs somebody to step up besides those three. I do agree that Duke will likely pack it in, so my hope is that guy is Lmac with a hot hand. If UNC shoots it, then the inside opens up and Duke is toast.

For Duke, you gotta get something inside offensively, and watch the fouls. If the P's have to hit the pine, trouble. They don't need to score a lot, just some and play strong, smart, D.

Curry is Duke's wild card to me. A good shooting game from him and it's a long night for UNC.

I think we all know what Singler and Smith will do.

The atmosphere will be intense, more than UNC players have ever faced, but not Duke. They've played in a national championship game. Big edge to Duke here.

Games like this are why you play the game. Leave it all on the floor, and may the best team win.

Yes, Big edge to us in the experience department and that should be a huge advantage... or it had better be.
Will be interesting to see how the young Tarheels react to a game as big as this.

jipops
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm interested to see how we get through the first 5 minutes of the game and how we recover from it. I fully expect the heels to come out blazing, not at all like their previous 2 games. Previously, I think they have had some intensity issues which is common in such a young team. But there won't be any issue with intensity tomorrow. Their superior physical talent combined with a different intensity should provide a big jump on our guys in the early going. Once again, I see us having to dig out of a hole.

dukelifer
03-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Duke and UNC have played for the ACC championship only 5 times in the last 20 years and none of the games have been close. Duke is 3-2 against them

Duke last played UNC in the ACC championship final in 2001 where Duke won by 26. Duke also beat them by 23 in 1999. But UNC beat Duke in 1998 by 15. In 1992, Duke won by 20 one year after UNC beat Duke by 22 in 1991.

My sense is that this will also not be a close game. But as often is the case, the game is a war and at the end- one team will wear the other out. Duke's big guys have played better- the question is can they continue against the UNC front line.

Carrie
03-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Hrm. I came here looking for the "status check" thread. Don't let me down, DBR board denizens!

gam7
03-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Duke 3-point shooting the last three games:

@UNC: 6-27, 22%
MD: 3-15, 20%
VT: 5-18, 28%

One of these games there is going to be a regression (or in this case, a progression) towards the mean. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens tomorrow.

dukelifer
03-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Duke 3-point shooting the last three games:

@UNC: 6-27, 22%
MD: 3-15, 20%
VT: 5-18, 28%

One of these games there is going to be a regression (or in this case, a progression) towards the mean. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens tomorrow.

I have a feeling we will not be seeing 5 threes from the corner from Kelly. That should help the average. I hope Duke attacks and attacks.

watzone
03-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Singler,Kelly, Curry and Mason talk UNC in post game videos - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/singler-mason-kelly-and-curry-videos-from-bdn/

ChicagoHeel
03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Very hard to know what to expect tomorrow. Three of our last four games we have had a big portion of the game during which we played very poorly. We have needed a last second shot in all three. That cannot happen against better competition and if it does tomorrow then we lose.

If we come out strong in the first ten minutes and establish our strengths- rebounding, transition O, etc. and score some easy baskets then I think we might get inside your heads. We've beaten you in 3 of 4 halves and I am hoping Duke will start to believe that they cannot win.

pfrduke
03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Very hard to know what to expect tomorrow. Three of our last four games we have had a big portion of the game during which we played very poorly. We have needed a last second shot in all three. That cannot happen against better competition and if it does tomorrow then we lose.

If we come out strong in the first ten minutes and establish our strengths- rebounding, transition O, etc. and score some easy baskets then I think we might get inside your heads. We've beaten you in 3 of 4 halves and I am hoping Duke will start to believe that they cannot win.

While technically true, the second half of the last game was essentially a push - just 30-28 UNC. I would call the halves 2-1-1 (still not a good number for us).

dukeballboy88
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
on all makes early in the game I would run a soft 2-2-1 zone press and fall back to a 2-3 and shade barnes. I would do it early just to see what it would do and how it could change the tempo. unc has only one ball handler and he cant go right. So by zone pressing them it will get the ball out of marshalls hands and force them to do things differently. There is no way I would give up 50 to them in the first half again.

On offense, the first 2 or 3 times we had the ball I would call Kyles # but I would run that play where Mason or either of the bigs catch it on the elbow and look to dump it down to Kyle who comes off a back pick and stops on the block to post up. Kyle is great at establishing post position and running an iso to Kyle may help him get going and get some confidence early on the offensive end and it may pick up a couple quick fouls on barnes and force him to the sidelines. No one ever challenges prince harry on defense and I would tell Kyle to get it on the block and make a move but make sure that you draw contact with barnes and force the ref to call something.

Duke is a better team than unc and tomorrow will prove it! unc has ben getting lucky all year and its time the luck runs out!

dukelifer
03-12-2011, 08:55 PM

I wonder which team will be most nervous if either has a big lead in the middle of the game.

cptnflash
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
1967 UNC +09
1969 UNC +11
1979 UNC +08
1988 DUKE +04
1989 UNC +03
1991 UNC +22
1992 DUKE +20
1998 UNC +15
1999 DUKE +23
2001 DUKE +26

UNC leads 6-4.

Interesting how few of these games have been close.

cptnflash
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM

After the comeback in Cameron, we will never believe we can't win.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-12-2011, 09:23 PM

All of that happened on march 5, 2011. The only thing UNC didn't do that night was hit their free throws.

That was as good as it is going to get.

dukelifer
03-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Interesting how few of these games have been close.

Also interesting that one of the two teams ends up in the FF when they play each other in the ACCT final. Only year it did not happen was 1979 when both teams suffered defeats early in the NCAAT- black Sunday.

Also, UNC has never won the NC if they play Duke in the finals of the ACCT. Duke, however, has won it 3 times.

Newton_14
03-12-2011, 09:37 PM
All of that happened on march 5, 2011. The only thing UNC didn't do that night was hit their free throws.

That was as good as it is going to get.

Agree totally. UNC played to their full potential that night. They shot lights out pretty much the entire game, and never really had a lapse in that game. They have definitely pulled back to back Houdini act's this weekend. Tanner Smith was about a half an inch from keeping the underwater coffin locked today. The corner 3 just missed, as did the one from the wing. If either of those go down it's over.

But if and but's candy and nut's and all that. Duke needs to bring it tomorrow and not back down in anyway. Our bigs have to play tough and smart, limit the fouls, and rebound like it is life and death.

The Duke guards/wings need to attack the basket relentlessly and take it right at Henson and Zeller and not worry about getting it blocked. Attack and take it straight to their chest.

Besides that, play Duke defense, limit the fast break, and make shots. We did not play that badly last time we just shot badly. Tomorrow is a new day. Time to make shots and put a complete game together, from the starting five to each reserve, everybody making contributions. The Fist!

dukelifer
03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
The Duke guards/wings need to attack the basket relentlessly and take it right at Henson and Zeller and not worry about getting it blocked. Attack and take it straight to their chest.

But avoid their chins.

Newton_14
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes:
But avoid their chins.

Good one. That was funny as heck!:cool:

Andre really needs to control his elbows better on drives!

dukeballboy88
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
If I had the ball and I saw Henson under the basket, I would take it hard to the basket and run my shoulder into his bird chest not caring if I got a charge called on me or not. I would let him know that I will be back for more. I promise you he will remember how bad it hurt the next time I came back!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2011, 09:59 PM
UNC played their best game to date, back on March 5th, but did not reach their potential...IMO.

SCMatt33
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
UNC played their best game to date, back on March 5th, but did not reach their potential...IMO.

What do you think that UNC could have done better? They dominated the inside and on the glass. They limited turnovers. They shot the ball well from the outside, while holding Duke's shooting down. Beating a top ten team by double digits is pretty darn good. Unless they never miss a shot and force turnovers on every possession, what could they have done better than that game?

_Gary
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM

Yet they played that game at home and with their full compliment of important players. Duke, on the other hand, hasn't come even close to realizing their full potential left. In a heartbeat I'd take UNC's full team against our full team (meaning that Kyrie was playing full strength). I'm beyond confident that Duke would dispatch of the Heels rather easily. Unfortunately we won't get to see that happen. Well, I guess for the Heels that a rather fortunate break. But I just find it funny that any UNC fan would talk about their team not playing up to their potential yet when their top rival is the one that can make that claim. The Holes have all their critical players at their disposal. They need not talk about not having reached their potential. Duke can make that claim in a very real way, but UNC can't.

Waynne
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Kyle and Nolan and at least 4 out of our 5 remaining regular players are going to have to play well to win this one. Kyle and Nolan will be ready because this is their last ACC game and they want both to win the tourney and beat our biggest rival. I hope the Plumlees and Ryan are mentally prepared for our biggest game so far this year, but most of all I hope Dre has a good game. His D has improved the last few games, though still not perfect, and he seems more comfortable with the ball. If he could score 10-12 points and play solid defense he could make a difference.

gam7
03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Yet they played that game at home and with their full compliment of important players. Duke, on the other hand, hasn't come even close to realizing their full potential left. In a heartbeat I'd take UNC's full team against our full team (meaning that Kyrie was playing full strength). I'm beyond confident that Duke would dispatch of the Heels rather easily. Unfortunately we won't get to see that happen. Well, I guess for the Heels that a rather fortunate break. But I just find it funny that any UNC fan would talk about their team not playing up to their potential yet when their top rival is the one that can make that claim. The Holes have all their critical players at their disposal. They need not talk about not having reached their potential. Duke can make that claim in a very real way, but UNC can't.

I haven't watched UNC enough to comment on whether they've reached their full potential, but it's certainly possible that neither team has reached its full potential.

TonyWR
03-12-2011, 11:26 PM

So true......

Go Duke....destroy the dUNCes!

Kedsy
03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I think Mason is playing really well defensively too. He's logging a lot of minutes.

Mason only played 22 minutes against Virginia Tech. Not sure why it matters, but I felt compelled to point that out.

Zone the fudge out of them

Does anybody really think this has even a remote chance of happening?

The combo of the MPs and Kelly scored 22 pts + 10 boards, we're gonna need more of that tomorrow.

We're going to need more than that tomorrow. At least in the rebounding department (I don't care so much about our bigs scoring). I don't know how we outrebounded Va Tech with our bigs only getting 10 rebounds combined. We'll need 20+ rebounds from MP1, MP2, & Ryan tomorrow.

turnandburn55
03-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Does anybody really think this has even a remote chance of happening?

I seem to remember K breaking out some Triangle-and-2 against the Hated Tar Heels last time we saw them in the ACC Championship.

Of course, when you have Shane "Yo Daddy" Battier, just about any changeup in defense will cause the opponent to lose bowel control....

-bdbd
03-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, Roy's secret plan has been found out. He had the first 2 games go down to being decided on the final possession in order to save energy for the Final... Ha-HA-HA-HA. It really is astounding how many ACC nail-biters NC has won this year, but you can only play with fire just so many times....

Um, NC's play in this tournament has been anything BUT encouraging for the NC faithful. Playing underdogs in front of a big home crowd, they've trailed about 79 of 80 minutes of regulation. Yeah, I know I'd feel very encouraged! :rolleyes: Actually, I'm at the ACCT and to a man/woman, every NC fan I've spoken to during these games has been frustrated, discouraged or downright angry with them. It has served to keep their usual huge home crowd advantge relatively quiet.

My impression from watching body language in-person has been that Zeller isn't brimming over with confidence in this tournament. But more importantly, Miles and Mason combo seems to be jelling nicely. I suspect that K would like to continue playing them together more, but early foul trouble has forced us to play them "one at a time" quite a bit. While still a relative NC strength, I think the Duke bigs show much better in this "rubber match" in the 2011 series. The big "if" is avoiding foul trouble (NC has again enjoyed a huge foul calls advantage thus far in the ACCT....)

Curry is Duke's wild card to me. A good shooting game from him and it's a long night for UNC. ....I think we all know what Singler and Smith will do.
I think Williams will have a gameplan to make it hard on Curry, so I actually think someone besides those "big three" for Duke must make an impact, such as Dawkins, Mason or Thornton.

Being in Greensboro, it is obvious NC has a huge crowd advantage - I'm expecting 66% heels and 33% Devils fans, though others have said worse based on the last 2 days. That said, NC fans haven't been overwhelmingly loud, except for win NC has made runs, or in the final 2 minutes/overtimes. But this is very different than beating Duke in the Dean Dome for the NC youngsters.

As a Duke fan, I'm just praying NC plays the first 30 minutes like they have both games so far... But I expect greater intensity, focus though. Still, Duke is playing very good, consistent ball right now (unlike NC). It'll be hard-fought and pretty intense. But I'm feeling good right now. :cool:

BlueThru&Thru
03-13-2011, 01:09 AM
If I had the ball and I saw Henson under the basket, I would take it hard to the basket and run my shoulder into his bird chest not caring if I got a charge called on me or not. I would let him know that I will be back for more. I promise you he will remember how bad it hurt the next time I came back!

You forgot to mention the part where he smokes your shots. So smoke shot or take charge. We'll take either.

ice-9
03-13-2011, 01:20 AM
The key is going to be Singler's long range shooting. UNC is a bad match-up for us but if Singler can make the 3-point shot we can negate that, because then our starting Nolan-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles lineup can do some damage.

Otherwise, here's the problem (note for below you can substitute Kelly for Miles and to a lesser degree Mason) --

Nolan-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles: Our defense matches up well here, and if Singler's shot is going in, we will have some semblance of balance on offense. But if Singler's shot isn't going in, the burden is heavily on Nolan and Curry to score points (i.e. 20+ each). This is going to be tough for Nolan especially if he also has to contain Marshall. If Singler tries to go inside, he'll face a tall frontline to limit his mid and short game.

Thornton-Nolan-Singler-Mason-Miles: Thornton can match-up with Marshall here, but we ABSOLUTELY need Singler to score otherwise there just isn't enough offense. And with a tall UNC frontline, that scoring will most likely come from long-range.

Nolan-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason: This is the lineup I wanted to see more of @UNC since Singler (and Kelly) were missing all those long-range shots. Move Singler to the four so we can have three outside shooters on the perimeter and Singler doesn't need to rely on 3-pointers to score. However, if he does score he'd have to do it against a taller and super shot blocker Henson, which is going to be tough; but I'm confident Singler will hold his own on rebounding. Defensively, the problem here is that Barnes will be a mismatch for Dawkins and Dawkins hasn't shown he can defend well. But if Singler is missing shots, this might be our best bet, and perhaps press more on defense with our three smaller and quicker guys to force turnovers.

In all of the above, it's all predicated on Singler's 3-point shooting as the key variable. Unlike Maryland or Virginia Tech, UNC has three capable guys who can collectively shut Singler down in the post -- that's why his long-range shooting is so important. If it's on, we're on. If it's off, Nolan and Curry will need huge offensive games and our bigs will need to score.

That's also not to mention the fact that long-range shots that clang off the rim can lead to fast breaks for UNC, which needless to say isn't good for us.

If we struggle to defend, I'd also like to see some zone if just to throw UNC off every now and then.

roywhite
03-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Good morning, Duke fans.

Time to win another ACC Championship.

kong123
03-13-2011, 08:21 AM
My impression from watching body language in-person has been that Zeller isn't brimming over with confidence in this tournament.

Yeah, Zeller has only made the tying shot in the final minute of both games. He also hit the game winning shot in the first. He is only averaging 13.5 pts in these two game and only averaging 19 pts and 9 rebs against Duke in those two games. If I were him, I wouldn't have a bit of confidence either.

On the other side, Mason averaged 1 pt in both of our first games.

I think Duke has the edge in this game. I think they will come out swinging and I hope UNC is able to start strong like they have in both of the previous Duke/UNC games. The first five minutes may tell the tale.

JStuart
03-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm hoping the real key to the game is the anger/revenge/frustration factor alluded to by one of the Plumlees at K's press conference, in that the team wants to get payback from a team that has made us look bad, and stands between us and another REAL ACC championship. Revenge is sweet!

The key is going to be Singler's long range shooting. UNC is a bad match-up for us but if Singler can make the 3-point shot we can negate that, because then our starting Nolan-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles lineup can do some damage.

Otherwise, here's the problem (note for below you can substitute Kelly for Miles and to a lesser degree Mason) --

Nolan-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles: Our defense matches up well here, and if Singler's shot is going in, we will have some semblance of balance on offense. But if Singler's shot isn't going in, the burden is heavily on Nolan and Curry to score points (i.e. 20+ each). This is going to be tough for Nolan especially if he also has to contain Marshall. If Singler tries to go inside, he'll face a tall frontline to limit his mid and short game.

Thornton-Nolan-Singler-Mason-Miles: Thornton can match-up with Marshall here, but we ABSOLUTELY need Singler to score otherwise there just isn't enough offense. And with a tall UNC frontline, that scoring will most likely come from long-range.

Nolan-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason: This is the lineup I wanted to see more of @UNC since Singler (and Kelly) were missing all those long-range shots. Move Singler to the four so we can have three outside shooters on the perimeter and Singler doesn't need to rely on 3-pointers to score. However, if he does score he'd have to do it against a taller and super shot blocker Henson, which is going to be tough; but I'm confident Singler will hold his own on rebounding. Defensively, the problem here is that Barnes will be a mismatch for Dawkins and Dawkins hasn't shown he can defend well. But if Singler is missing shots, this might be our best bet, and perhaps press more on defense with our three smaller and quicker guys to force turnovers.

In all of the above, it's all predicated on Singler's 3-point shooting as the key variable. Unlike Maryland or Virginia Tech, UNC has three capable guys who can collectively shut Singler down in the post -- that's why his long-range shooting is so important. If it's on, we're on. If it's off, Nolan and Curry will need huge offensive games and our bigs will need to score.

That's also not to mention the fact that long-range shots that clang off the rim can lead to fast breaks for UNC, which needless to say isn't good for us.

If we struggle to defend, I'd also like to see some zone if just to throw UNC off every now and then.

dukeimac
03-13-2011, 08:49 AM
I think the solution is simple against UNC.

STOP Marshall, get the ball out of his hands. Everyone (anaylists) is saying how much he has improved and is doing a great job getting everyone involved. Thus, frustrate him and you have a good chance. Especailly in the final seconds of a close game.

If they come with the intensity they played against Maryland, Duke should do good.

dukeballboy88
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
You have to attack shot blockers. Go at them strong and create contact with your body. Make the ref call something. If it gets blocked it gets blocked. Ive seen many times a guy gets in the lane against henson and pump fakes 2 or 3 times and henson dont go for it and then gets the block. Henson controls the paint and we got to get him out.

Henson is unc's best player. If he gets in foul trouble they are done but he is so long and gets off the ground so quickly he can still block shots without fouling.

Wich one of Duke's big men will have 2 fouls by the 1st tv timeout??? It always happens.

dukelifer
03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
You have to attack shot blockers. Go at them strong and create contact with your body. Make the ref call something. If it gets blocked it gets blocked. Ive seen many times a guy gets in the lane against henson and pump fakes 2 or 3 times and henson dont go for it and then gets the block. Henson controls the paint and we got to get him out.

Henson is unc's best player. If he gets in foul trouble they are done but he is so long and gets off the ground so quickly he can still block shots without fouling.

Wich one of Duke's big men will have 2 fouls by the 1st tv timeout??? It always happens.

Barnes is UNC's best player and the one that really needs to be stopped as he gives that team a lot of confidence. It will take a lot of energy for Kyle to do this and it will affect his O. Last year, Thomas would have had the responsibility to cover him- and that would have freed up Kyle. Thomas was a very important reason for Duke's success last year. Duke needs to have that type of player in its lineup if their D is to be top notch. Hairston may take that role next year- but without a long defensive stopper, Duke is more vulnerable to players like Barnes. But make no mistake- Barnes is a talent- a raw talent- but a talent nonetheless.

davekay1971
03-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Henson is unc's best player. If he gets in foul trouble they are done .

This is UNC we're talking about. The chances of Henson (or Barnes or Marshall) getting in foul trouble in this game is somewhere between slim and none.

The teams that seem to have had the most success attacking UNC's defense are those that pull Henson out from the basket. Despite my joking statement above, Henson is very good at blocking/altering shots while avoiding fouling. It's a pretty cool art form watching a great shot blocker, and Henson's one of the best in the college game today. Can't stand him, but he's undeniably good. My tactic would be to run whoever Henson's covering out on the perimeter and then let Nolan and Kyle attack the rim, trying to force Zeller (who's a relatively weak interior defender) into difficult situations.

On another point, I hope Kyle's been listening to the Harrison Barnes media frenzy. Kyle's capable of giving Barnes a long afternoon. I hope Kyle's waking up this morning with one goal in mind: shutting the Black Pigeon down. He can do it, and, if he does, we win.

jipops
03-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I think Duke has the edge in this game. I think they will come out swinging and I hope UNC is able to start strong like they have in both of the previous Duke/UNC games. The first five minutes may tell the tale.

I disagree and agree. I think UNC has the strong edge in this one. They have the talent edge, even more so than I thought they had a few weeks ago. And Duke has little to no chance to get the win if they continue to shoot around 25% from 3. The first 5 minutes probably will tell the tale. If UNC jumps out early, it's gonna be painful.

moonpie23
03-13-2011, 10:37 AM
The first five minutes may tell the tale.

actually, i think the last five minutes of the 3rd game in a row will tell the tale.....which team has the more gas in the tank......

Gthoma2a
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I just hope Ryan steps inside the arc to take a high percentage jump shot when he is open. They may rotate over, but if he can step in and get the ball off quick, it will foil their plan. Last game, they gave him that open three so that they could have two bigs down low on one Plumlee and that gave them easy rebounds. A 6'11 guy shooting 3s makes them look brilliant on D and allows them to run/go on runs.

Matches
03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
In all honesty, this is just a very tough matchup for us. The best way to beat UNC is to pack it in, slow the pace, and make them hit 3s. That is, however, not the way we play defense, and it's not like we can just suddenly decide to play zone all the time. That's not who we are.

Winning will require a superlative effort on defense. Marshall simply cannot be allowed to get in the lane as easily as he has in both prior games.

JMarley50
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
In all honesty, this is just a very tough matchup for us. The best way to beat UNC is to pack it in, slow the pace, and make them hit 3s. That is, however, not the way we play defense, and it's not like we can just suddenly decide to play zone all the time. That's not who we are.

Winning will require a superlative effort on defense. Marshall simply cannot be allowed to get in the lane as easily as he has in both prior games.

I'm more concerned about not letting Barnes get loose and score 40 again. He's starting to play very well. But at the same time, we have a senior with a lot of championship experience guarding him. Maybe I shouldn't worry... :D

devildeac
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM
This is UNC we're talking about. The chances of Henson (or Barnes or Marshall) getting in foul trouble in this game is somewhere between slim and none.

The teams that seem to have had the most success attacking UNC's defense are those that pull Henson out from the basket. Despite my joking statement above, Henson is very good at blocking/altering shots while avoiding fouling. It's a pretty cool art form watching a great shot blocker, and Henson's one of the best in the college game today. Can't stand him, but he's undeniably good. My tactic would be to run whoever Henson's covering out on the perimeter and then let Nolan and Kyle attack the rim, trying to force Zeller (who's a relatively weak interior defender) into difficult situations.

On another point, I hope Kyle's been listening to the Harrison Barnes media frenzy. Kyle's capable of giving Barnes a long afternoon. I hope Kyle's waking up this morning with one goal in mind: shutting the Black Pigeon down. He can do it, and, if he does, we win.

And I swear I saw a referee escort driving Slim to the Piedmont Triad Airport last evening on his way out of town:mad:.

em0526
03-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Got a text from my sister in Greensboro and she says Kyrie is warming up and burying threes. The NC crowd is looking over nervously.

#1Duke
03-13-2011, 12:16 PM

We just better be who we need to be and not worry about who we are. Great teams adjust to the opponent and don't blindly stick to a certain style of play.

We have to play great overall defense. Try to stop the Tarheel bigs and force them to shoot 3s and Barnes many have 40 again... right now, he is HOT so I would not "force"
him to shoot anything.
The Plumlee boys will have to play tough without fouling ... that is something that HAS to happen for them on BOTH offense and defense.
If we are not hitting our 3s the scoring is going to have to come from somewhere and our BIGS MUST show up.

We can't let them jump on us early and get out in front of us.

#1Duke
03-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Got a text from my sister in Greensboro and she says Kyrie is warming up and burying threes. The NC crowd is looking over nervously.

He isn't being guarded is he??? LOL!!!
How do the PLAYERS look?? Do they look nervous!!!

gumbomoop
03-13-2011, 12:20 PM
We'll need 20+ rebounds from MP1, MP2, & Ryan tomorrow.

Absolutely crucial [as are some other things - see below]. And this 20+ doesn't include the 7-8 rebounds we need from Kyle, too.

I'm hoping the real key to the game is the anger/revenge/frustration factor alluded to by one of the Plumlees at K's press conference....

Agree, with the following friendly amendment: I'd like the anger/revenge to be manifest in disciplined ways, in unrelenting relentlessness [a redundundancy]. It's a cliche that the team that "wants it the most" wins. Will our guys be alert to every opportunity to grab a loose ball? Will Andre and Seth outhustle McDonald and Strickland on a crucial play? Will anyone play as smart as Marshall, who's aware of almost everything. [The "almost" means he still has 3 years to match Scheyer's court-sense.]

Speaking of Marshall...

STOP Marshall, get the ball out of his hands.

... I agree that you gotta disrupt Marshall some of the time. On at leas some made baskets, whoever is guarding him has to make the inbounds pass a little difficult, so he has to work a bit more, instead of having virtually the whole court to look for runners.

Moreover, there's one particular pass that Marshall can make that many PGs can't: the pass inside over the shoulder of a defender whose head is turned. I know this pass; it works pretty easily if the passer is superb [Marshall? check], if the receiver expects it [Carolina's bigs? check], and if the defender is unaware, including unaware that Marshall looks to do this regularly. It leads to easy baskets. It's one of many reasons Marshall is so good. Wake up, inside defenders. Every unaware play counts.

You have to attack shot blockers. Go at them strong and create contact with your body. Make the ref call something. If it gets blocked it gets blocked. Ive seen many times a guy gets in the lane against henson and pump fakes 2 or 3 times and henson dont go for it and then gets the block.

Agree with this very important point. Henson intimidates with his length, so when his opponents try to avoid his length, they too frequenlty miscalculate his length, or change the arc so much it misses. Got to do what DBB suggests here, and firmly. Got to go through him; it will work some, not always. Still, absolutely necessary or the inside game is way too tentative.

actually, i think the last five minutes of the 3rd game in a row will tell the tale.....which team has the more gas in the tank......

MP23 [23 brothers?] gets my vote here [and, honestly, elsewhere] over kong's assertion about the first 5 minutes. And if I were a Heel fan, I'd be perfectly happy if it came down to the last 5 minutes, given their great end-game execution.

I'd prefer Duke up by, say, 32, with a few minutes left, but don't expect it. Who executes when it's on the line? Marshall and Barnes have done it; pretty impressive. Heels have demonstrated, over and over, this year and in many years, they got a good end-game, confident players. Heels have every reason to believe they win the nail-biters. So will Duke guys be relentless, court-smart, for the whole 40 minutes?

Whatever happens, we're lucky. How come fanatics too rarely appreciate this?

hq2
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Our bigs are going to have to be more assertive. 4 for 24 from our front line is inexcusable when we're going 6-10, 6-10, (and both good leapers to boot) 6-11, 6-8 (and most of those were outside shots by the 6-8 player!) That means offensive rebounding, fighting for shots, and going to the free throw line. Our bigs have to play big instead of settling for wimpy jumpers. Period. Anything less in a game like this is unacceptable. They can do it if they want, Tyler Zeller notwithstanding (he isn't THAT good). It's a question of toughness and desire. The stakes are big - ACC tournament and a possible NCAA #1 seed. Let's see our bigs play that way!

Kedsy
03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Nolan-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles: Our defense matches up well here, and if Singler's shot is going in, we will have some semblance of balance on offense. But if Singler's shot isn't going in, the burden is heavily on Nolan and Curry to score points (i.e. 20+ each). This is going to be tough for Nolan especially if he also has to contain Marshall.

Nolan is averaging 32 points per game in his two games against UNC, and Seth is averaging 21 ppg. The defensive assignments were the same in those two games, right? Why do you think it will be tough for Nolan to score?

I disagree and agree. I think UNC has the strong edge in this one. They have the talent edge, even more so than I thought they had a few weeks ago. And Duke has little to no chance to get the win if they continue to shoot around 25% from 3. The first 5 minutes probably will tell the tale. If UNC jumps out early, it's gonna be painful.

Big talent edge? Little to no chance to get the win? Seriously? Well, I do like optimism.

Incidentally, we shot 30.8% from 3-land in the first UNC game and we won. That's a pretty quick ramp up from "little to no chance" at 25% all the way up to "yep" at 30%, don't you think?

I doubt we see much zone from Duke, but I bet we see a couple defensive wrinkles that none of us are anticipating right now.

GO DUKE!

riverside6
03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10193

obsesseddukefan
03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
but, I really hate it when I see the whole single person in the middle of the huddle dancing pregame routine. I hope I never see our team do that. I think it's just silly regardless of their age. Reminds me too much of Green from UNC a few years ago. Lets hope we can silence them quick. GO DUKE!

Gthoma2a
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
This is a great start, but I hope Ryan keeps it on the inside. Let's see some continued good D to keep the run up.

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Both Plumlees start strong, but in part because of a defensive approach that requires them to play pressure D 25 feet from the basket, they have 3 fouls in the first 3.5 minutes.

civileng68
03-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Duke: 3 fouls
UNC: 0

Gthoma2a
03-13-2011, 01:14 PM
If we fall stale after this start, that will really make me angry and make it a UNC home game again... I hope we keep the ball rolling and stop turning the ball over/fouling. The UNC crowd makes me sick, but they are always at these games.

lotusland
03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow they are calling it tight. Our bigs are going to have to lay off their bigs on the perimeter or they'll foul out in the first half. I thought we were fortunate on the charge Ryan drew as well.

civileng68
03-13-2011, 01:18 PM
FOULS:

Duke 4
UNC 0

Cmon refs

civileng68
03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
So stupid for Kelly to draw that foul. So so stupid.

AlaskanAssassin
03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
So stupid for Kelly to draw that foul. So so stupid.

no, not a stupid foul. Good foul. That would of been a free layup for Marshall.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
but it sure is fun right now ...

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Excellent focus thus far on both the offensive and defensive ends. 14 of our 17 points are in the paint, and the other 3 came off of penetration (by Mason). We just need to keep this focus and pressure for the next 32 minutes.

Utley
Boy did K have them fired up. Punched Carolina in the face to start. Keep it up!

kong123
2 questionable charges, one that took away a momentum building slam. we are following the trend of poor starts........

lotusland
Thogh Ryan's reach foul on the break away was a good foul but our bigs are need all their fouls the way this one is being called. We are getting some favorable calls on the charges underneath though.

AlaskanAssassin
but it sure is fun right now ...

It can last. Stay positive, my friend!

kong123
03-13-2011, 01:31 PM
its over, gg guys. wish we could have shown up.

dairedevil
03-13-2011, 01:31 PM
2 questionable charges, one that took away a momentum building slam. we are following the trend of poor starts........

No, we seem to have put away the bad start (except for a couple of dumb fouls)....oh, it's kong - he means unc's poor starts. my bad.

Keep up the pressure, Duke! 9F!

Utley
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Just keep playing D like this and good things will happen.

xinspiration
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
is there a DBR chat for this game?

lotusland
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I like how our bigs are staying home. I would rather Marshal score the layup than get the bigs involved with a dunk right now. Zeller's only bucket was about as far out as you can push him in the lane. Keep them in front of you guys and let's find Dre while he has the hot hand!

CBDUKE
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM
its over, gg guys. wish we could have shown up.

Too much time left for that.

kong123
03-13-2011, 01:40 PM

when you are banking in 3's at the end of the shot clock, its your day.

House G
03-13-2011, 01:41 PM
has to be a T on zeller

Utley
03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Better not call anything on Kyle here.

We got to keep playing like we're down 10.

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 01:45 PM
So far today, Jim Nantz has:

1) Referred to a Kyle Singler turnover as "another Carolina turnover."
2) Responded to a Seth Curry three as though Curry hit the two previous threes that were actually made by Andre Dawkins.
3) Said "Team fouls are really starting to add up, especially for North Carolina" at a time when Carolina had 5 team fouls and Duke 8.

Watch the darn game, Jim.

jammsb
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
The Plumlees need to learn to shoot fouls.

NashvilleDevil

2) Responded to a Seth Curry three as though Curry hit the two previous threes that were actually made by Andre Dawkins.
3) Said "Team fouls are really starting to add up, especially for North Carolina" at a time when Carolina had 5 team fouls and Duke 8.

Maybe you should watch the game. Dan Schulman is announcing the game.

CBDUKE
That's not Jim Nantz. LOL

slower
03-13-2011, 01:48 PM

This one is FAR from over. Holes will narrow the gap.

This should be at LEAST a 20-point lead. Too many lazy/stupid turnovers.

And they are mounting.

Just hope Mason doesn't pick up another foul before halftime.

FerryFor50

But Duke gets all the calls!

I finally realized why UNC doesn't really rack up that many fouls... it's because they really don't play any defense. ;)

Les Grossman
but has anyone mentioned that Carolina sux?

bamadukefan
03-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Duke needs to win the next 3 mins

kong123
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
you guys hold with the inside arm on every drive. it is really amazing that Duke is NEVER called for that!

FerryFor50
03-13-2011, 01:53 PM
you guys hold with the inside arm on every drive. it is really amazing that Duke is NEVER called for that!

as does Kendall Marshall. An arm for an arm, so to speak.

bamadukefan
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Mcdonald is holding Nolan Smith on every drive.

hsheffield
Does anyone else feel like the refs are doing everything possible to give the advantage to unc?

mkline09
Does anyone else feel like the refs are doing everything possible to give the advantage to unc?

Kong doesn't.

Orange&BlackSheep
Miles pushing Ryan Kelly out of the way on that put back jam.

kong123
03-13-2011, 01:55 PM

NO, if you do, you are wrong

Les Grossman
has to start from here on
hes made a big difference in this game

fisheyes
Miles! WOW!!!

Go Duke!!!

FellowTraveler

You're right, a viewer getting the name of the announcer wrong is far worse than an announcer consistently getting facts wrong about a game he is getting paid to describe. My bad.

NashvilleDevil

How is that any different from every other Duke/Carolina game?

slower
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Really? Great way to end the half.

Unbelieveable.

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
You're right, a viewer getting the name of the announcer wrong is far worse than an announcer consistently getting facts wrong about a game he is getting paid to describe. My bad.

Not the same but your point is missed because of saying Jim Nantz.

hsheffield
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
And will someone please tell me why there wasn't a technical on Zeller for an elbow into kyle's neck?

ChicagoHeel
That could not have gone any worse. Duke really wants this- tremendous defensive pressure.

RoyalBlue08
12 fouls called on Duke, 6 fouls called on UNC. Maybe that is deserved, but there seems to be a few tight calls against Duke in my opinion.

Utley
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I'll say it again. These guys are like Freddie. We can't let up. We need to play like we're down 10.

FerryFor50
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
NO, if you do, you are wrong

Yea 12 Duke fouls (including that last one to give UNC two free points) to 6 UNC fouls is really a hose job against the Holes. Duke must have paid em off...

lotusland
03-13-2011, 01:59 PM

No they are calling everything. Duke is more agressive on D so they are getting called more.

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2011, 01:59 PM
12 fouls called on Duke, 6 fouls called on UNC. Maybe that is deserved, but there seems to be a few tight calls against Duke in my opinion.

Duke has 5 guys with 2 fouls. I'm sure that foul trouble will not come into play in the 2nd half. Have to keep the pressure on them and show people how to not let UNC back into games.

jammsb
03-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I love Kyrie Irving. He is probably the most supportive guy sitting on that bench. Sure he isn't playing, but his mojo has to be helping the team.

ChrisP
Crappy way to end the half. Not sure why Nolan waited so late in the clock to try and initiate something. At the VERY least, we should have had a shot with no time for Carolina to score. But, let's face it, that foul on Kyle was TOTAL BS!!!

FerryFor50
Duke has 5 guys with 2 fouls. I'm sure that foul trouble will not come into play in the 2nd half. Have to keep the pressure on them and show people how to not let UNC back into game.

Luckily Duke has enough depth to withstand it....

moonpie23
gotta keep the hammer down.......don't let them get a run going...

this is gonna be a barn burner....

BlueDGal
03-13-2011, 02:01 PM
carolina only had 6 fouls....we have 12. that last call on kyle was bs.

RoyalBlue08
03-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Duke has 5 guys with 2 fouls. I'm sure that foul trouble will not come into play in the 2nd half. Have to keep the pressure on them and show people how to not let UNC back into games.

If you are only going to play 7 guys and get 12 fouls called on you in the first half, it is a minor statistical miracle that no one has 3 fouls. Hopefully we will be free to use our normal rotation in the second half. And I agree that we need to stay aggressive!

lotusland
03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Well we have seen this play out before with Miami and then Clemson. Duke has to stay agressive and play smart. we are going to have to withstand some Carolina runs in the second half.

_Gary
No they are calling everything. Duke is more agressive on D so they are getting called more.

Nope. Duke is playing great defense and they are not fouling that much. The refs have manufactured several fouls against Duke and several "travels" that were no such thing to give UNC more possessions than they should have had in that first half. I'd say UNC has at least 6 to 8 points that they shouldn't have right now based on poor officiating. It's been a real hose job on Duke in the first half that has kept the Holes within striking distance.

60's Devil
Inspired defense and we need to keep up the pressure! It will cost us some fouls though. Zeller should have been called for the elbow. Its a point of emphasis unless its against Carolina

Son of Mojo
The little carry/hitch that Marshall does has got to be called at some point. I saw him walk at least 4 times in that half. And I can't figure out that bogus last foul called on Ryan and on Kyle but the pigeon can trip Kyle and it's a walk, Miles can be nudged out of bounds and it's a walk, and Ryan gets hit on his shot to end the half.........love the score and our tenacity on both ends but HATE the officiating because of what I've said. Call it terping if you want, but it's what I'm seeing. Let's hope the guys keep playing like Roy insulted their mamas and double the lead, don't maintain.

ns7
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Nashville Devil is wrong too. I believe you were referring to Dan Bonner.

Edit: I was wrong too, it is Brandt.

lotusland
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
carolina only had 6 fouls....we have 12. that last call on kyle was bs.

He inadvertantly hit Henson's hand as he was shooting off the lob. That's a foul every time.

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 02:04 PM
My goodness people - we have a 14-point lead, are playing excellent basketball, and all people can do is complain about the refs?!?! We're better than that (aren't we?)

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Andre's scoring has (obviously) been nice, but I also think so far it's been one of his best defensive performances. He doesn't look comfortable or natural on D, necessarily, but he's played well.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2011, 02:05 PM
We need to keep a double digit lead. If Carolina gets it under 10, they will get their confidence back.

LET'S GO DUKE!

lotusland
03-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Nope. Duke is playing great defense and they are not fouling that much. The refs have manufactured several fouls against Duke and several "travels" that were no such thing to give UNC more possessions than they should have had in that first half. I'd say UNC has at least 6 to 8 points that they shouldn't have right now based on poor officiating. It's been a real hose job on Duke in the first half that has kept the Holes within striking distance.

What is the gentile equivalent of oy vey?

ChicagoHeel
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Are you blaming the refs for the fact that you don't have a 20+ point lead? You are applying tremendous ball pressure- you are going to have a few calls go against you.

It is always the same. Regardless of which team you cheer for, the refs always seem against you. Why bother talking about it? Watching as a UNC fan, I thought we got a gift on the foul against Singler on the Henson bucket, but also thought Hensons goal-tend was a block and that Singler should have been called for extending the arm against Zeller. Bottom line- leave the ref bashing to conspiracy theorists. 99.99999 percent of the time your team wins because it plays better; not because of the refs.

kong123
you guys are shooting lights out and we cannot get into a groove because of your defense. We will make a run, but will it be enough? Will Duke go cold during our run?

Les Grossman
I'll say it again. These guys are like Freddie. We can't let up. We need to play like we're down 10.Chase utley is correct. go phillies!

dairedevil
A few thoughts - How long has it been since we've scored 40+ points in the first half?
Great to see everybody involved in the scoring
Defensive pressure really disrupting unc
kept the carolina crowd out of the game
foul trouble? or will the refs play catch up in the 2nd half?
hated to see the half end on a botched play/foul on Kyle

and, to the folks on the board - Duke is playing the best we've seen in a while, and what we are doing is whining about whether somebody got an announcer's name wrong?

and, what does it say about unc that some of their "fans" spend the game on DBR instead of their own board?

Son of Mojo
03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
My goodness people - we have a 14-point lead, are playing excellent basketball, and all people can do is complain about the refs?!?! We're better than that (aren't we?)

We are but you have to talk about what you see. There has been bad officiating that has cost us points and could cost us more into the 2nd half with the foul situation. Hopefully we can keep playing at the level that we have so far where it won't be an issue, but it has to be discussed when it's there.

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
We lost our offensive focus a touch in the last five minutes, drifting into jumpers and getting away from penetration. We need to keep running the screen, keep getting the ball into the paint, keep letting Mason operate from the wing post to create opportunities for others.

On defense, we've played with incredible intensity, and really made UNC uncomfortable. We need to maintain that level of intensity.

Also, K did a masterful job managing foul trouble in the first half, rotating Kelly, Miles, and Mason on a regular basis and, basically, stealing minutes for his best options once they got in foul trouble (rather than digging deeper into the bench).

diveonthefloor
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM

I have to agree.
It's hard to believe we have the lead playing 5 on 7. (Luckey and Hess have on their powder blue underwear.)

RoyalBlue08
I think the key to the second half is continuing to play great D on Barnes. He has been the one to catch fire and lead them back in the past two games. I like the way Duke is forcing him to put the ball on the floor and then double teaming his drives. He isn't a great passer (and honestly isn't the best driver either), but if his jump shot heats up it could be big trouble!

ncexnyc
Wasn't pleased with that last foul called on Kyle. That play was similar to the one that caused the scrum where Mason called the timeout on Friday night. McDonald never had possession and Kyle had every right to go for that ball.

Seems like we've been playing 6 on 5 the whole game, as the refs have kept this from being a total blowout.

_Gary
What is the gentile equivalent of oy vey?

I don't know, but I'm thinking the same thing as I read your posts. :p

Look, we are getting hosed on the calls. Can you honestly tell me you think the fta and foul call disparity is completely legit? Surely you don't believe that.

Les Grossman
03-13-2011, 02:09 PM
The little carry/hitch that Marshall does has got to be called at some point. I saw him walk at least 4 times in that half.
Phil Ford made a career of it. Carolina rules

TruBlu
03-13-2011, 02:10 PM
My ex-nephew (became "ex" when he went to UNC) is texting me that Duke is getting all the calls.

moonpie23
03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
pressure D and staying careful O...

i love this team........ GO DUKE!!

ChicagoHeel
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
A 14 point lead felt so tenuous when we had it; seems so huge now. Duke just needs to make us work for every point and avoid turnovers and they win this walking away.

MCFinARL

Actually, those blunders were made on Raycom, not ESPN, so it wasn't Dan Shulman. It's Tim Brandt (sp?) and Mike Gminski.

gumbomoop
Really? Great way to end the half.

Unbelieveable.

Wonder whether that last play will be a momentum-changer.

The sort of detail involved in those last 30 seconds can be telling. In that position, the single most important thing for Duke is to get the last shot. The second most important thing is to not let the opponent have an opportunity to get the ball. Nolan's lack of concentration was a big error, as was Kyle's inability to know the clock, to know that McDonald could not even get a shot off had he controlled the ball.

This sort of lack of focus makes the "next play" approach both essential in the short run [i.e., correct it on film day], yet not easy for fans to stomach. It's the sort of play to cause naughty thoughts, and possibly words.

turnandburn55
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
12 fouls to 6 in this game? ACC officiating is officially a joke. And after all the brou-ha-ha yesterday about how the officials just "had" to call an intentional foul for an elbow to the head regardless of whether it was a "basketball move" or not... Tyler Zeller gets a free pass. Nice. At the officials didn't stop a Duke fast-break opportunity to get another look at it on replay....

_Gary
03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't like the vibe I'm feeling right now early in the 2nd half. UNC has come out ultra aggressive on the boards and we aren't matching that. We have to limit them to one shot, and if we can't do that consistently we will lose this game.

RoyalBlue08
03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Kyle really seemed to rush his 3 point shots even though he was wide open. I think if he just takes a second to set himself on those he would be more accurate.

FerryFor50

Miami had a 19 point lead. Clemson had a 10 point lead. Part of the reason UNC got back into those games was the foul differentials. People have good reason to be concerned.

DukeGirl4ever
We have to continue to maintain the boards....this is not a good way to start the second half.

Has anyone seen Kyle's three point shot?? Anyone?

BlueDGal
kyle...no more 3s...drive, short jumpers.....mason....be strong with the ball.

gumbomoop
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Details count, a lot. Curry, having switched to Barnes, did not block out. Mason's hands were weak on the rebound, Barnes's were strong.

"Who wants it?" comes down to details.

Dukegbw3
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
nolan playing GREAT defense today

Utley
03-13-2011, 02:23 PM
just keep playing great D.

bamadukefan
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Big difference in free throws. Duke has to get aggressive and drive, drive, drive.

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
GREAT play by Curry to draw that charge, just as UNC looks like they're about to go on a run.

RoyalBlue08
That's three offensive fouls on Strickland. Not one for learning a lesson I guess.

hsheffield
Have to admit we're getting more of the charge calls

g-money
03-13-2011, 02:28 PM
another blown call by the refs on that Carolina goaltend

hsheffield
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
FOUL??????

Utley
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
starting to lose it. how was that a foul on nolan? Zeller had to be basket interference too.

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Not wild about the running, or the quick threes from Singler/Kelly. As Duke's fouls mount, Carolina is going to make a run. Let's not lengthen the game for them.

slower
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Wonder whether that last play will be a momentum-changer.

The sort of detail involved in those last 30 seconds can be telling. In that position, the single most important thing for Duke is to get the last shot. The second most important thing is to not let the opponent have an opportunity to get the ball. Nolan's lack of concentration was a big error, as was Kyle's inability to know the clock, to know that McDonald could not even get a shot off had he controlled the ball.

This sort of lack of focus makes the "next play" approach both essential in the short run [i.e., correct it on film day], yet not easy for fans to stomach. It's the sort of play to cause naughty thoughts, and possibly words.

...whether the end to the first half was significant. I'm a pessimist, so I've got a bad feeling about it.

FerryFor50
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I guess over the back isn't called any more. UNC has been "crashing" the boards this half, all over Duke's backs.

gumbomoop
03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
UNC getting more of the loose balls, aggressive rebounding, putbacks. Duke still hitting just enough shots to keep good lead. But I see no reason a team can't hit a few shots and be relentless, block out, strong hands, etc.

_Gary
03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
If we take care of our defensive boards we will win. But if we are going to give them multiple looks on each offensive possession they'll come back and win. That and playing smarter on offense and looking for better shots. I don't like the way we are settling for the first "open" look each time down. Kyle in particular needs to slow down and let the game come to him instead of feeling he must assert his will on offense.

Oriole Way
03-13-2011, 02:35 PM

You're both wrong. The other poster you called out is clearly watching the Raycom broadcast, not ESPN. Not sure exactly who the Raycom guy is, I think it's Tim Brando, but he definitely got a few things mixed up. Still much more bearable than Mike Patrick.

Poincaré
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow, the refs are horrible. I am having flashbacks to the Hansblah years. And don't think I don't notice them giving meaningless fouls to the worst UNC players to make the count closer toward the end for appearances.

jammsb
03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Plumlees have to learn how to shoot fouls. We are giving points away.

RoyalBlue08
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
You're both wrong. The other poster you called out is clearly watching the Raycom broadcast, not ESPN. Not sure exactly who the Raycom guy is, I think it's Tim Brando, but he definitely got a few things mixed up. Still much more bearable than Mike Patrick.

That's like saying he is more athletic than my grandmother.

Utley
Big next four minutes. Let's pull away.

SCMatt33
If Duke could box out and grab the ball cleanly when they get a hand on it, this would be a 25-30 point game right now.

_Gary
This lead feels very, very tenuous to me. UNC is right at the brink of making a huge run. Our offense has completely fallen apart and it's feeling just like the VT game from a couple of weeks ago where we are seeing too much Kyle and Nolan (in terms of shots).

jammsb
03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I can't take the pressure.

Lulu
03-13-2011, 02:44 PM
This is so frustrating. Why have we turned into a 2-man offense this half when we were so successful getting everyone involved in the first half? I hope to eat my words, but I don't even want to see Smith or Singler take another 3-pt shot, same for the contested fade-away.

Utley
let's stay confident!

turnandburn55
I guess over the back isn't called any more. UNC has been "crashing" the boards this half, all over Duke's backs.

I remember the first time I watched Brendan Haywood play asking the same question.

The more things change....

Vincetaylor

G-man and Tim Brant not Brando.

civileng68
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I wish we'd stop taking 3's when there's time left to move the ball around and look for a shot.

Its like I get a "3 shot headache"

gumbomoop
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Weak hands by Kelly. Details win and lose games.

hsheffield
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
How was that unc ball

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
So, you can just shove Ryan Kelly out of bounds when he has the ball, and you get the ball back? Interesting.

TNDukeFan
03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
How was that unc ball

because ryan had it when he was pushed out of bounds

_Gary
The phantom calls are really mounting up on Duke. That, and leaving points at the line.

TheRob8801
Ya know, I think the silver lining of Kyrie most likely being gone next year, is that Harrison Barnes is gonna be gone as well.

I can't imagine how much more we'd hate this kid than Hansborough if he were to stay 4 years.

Les Grossman
03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
flagrant carry on hip

_Gary
03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Weak hands by Kelly. Details win and lose games.

I'm sorry, but he got pushed out of bounds and that should have been a foul. They got a big 3 off an extra possession and now UNC is on a roll.

RoyalBlue08
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd like to point out that the refs have called 0 fouls on Zeller thus far. I have counted 4 at least. I think he might have one of the refs families hostage. I will believe this until I am proven wrong.

civileng68
My god! Hit some free throws guys!

_Gary
flagrant carry on hip

He's been doing that the entire game. It's really blatant but he keeps getting away with it.

TheRob8801
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
When we're shooting 45% from 3 it's gonna be difficult to beat us.

Here's hoping we shoot 45% from 3 for the rest of the year.

pfrduke
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
When we're shooting 45% from 3 it's gonna be difficult to beat us.

Here's hoping we shoot 45% from 3 for the rest of the year.

We were due for a game like this - our shooters are too good to keep missing the way we had been.

g-money
YEAH BABY! Elated by the fact that we just knocked down some big open threes.

kong123
great game guys. you came out with a lot of intensity and took it away from us early. then, when we had a chance to make a run, you hit big shots. congratulations on a big win.

PS, give me my pitchfork back!!!

Utley
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
great game guys. you came out with a lot of intensity and took it away from us early. then, when we had a chance to make a run, you hit big shots. congratulations on a big win.

no jinxing us now kong

FerryFor50

SHHHH

You of all people know it's not over yet, so stop jinxing it. Sheesh. :mad:

AlaskanAssassin
is tony parker at this game?

cruxer
03-13-2011, 02:56 PM

PS, give me my pitchfork back!!!

Very clever jinx, my friend. Very clever. We shall not fall for it. One more 4-minute game left!

-c

zoroaster
Huh, wondering just how much of a delay this cbs gametracker has ("it's over already?").

_Gary

Come on, it's not quite over yet. Close, but not just yet. Having said that, hats off to our guys for withstanding this furious UNC run with some clutch shots! And note that it's been our supporting cast (Curry & Kelly) that's helped with this.

UGH. Mason is killing me with these boneheaded moves/turnovers.

1 24 90
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
In the immortal words of Jack Buck, Go Crazy Folks Go Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FellowTraveler
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Seth: 4/6
Miles: 4/4
Mason: 3/4
Andre: 3/4
Ryan: 4/6

Great shooting performance by the "supporting cast."

Poincaré
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Thank you boys... Daddy's not an alcoholic tonight. Well done.