PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Allen: ACC punk of the year

OldPhiKap
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Any real competition?

ajgoodfella7
03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Any real competition?

Maybe his coach, since it seems like VT does this every year. I know I should be rooting for as many teams from the ACC as possible, but I can't help but want to root against them ever year.

dukestheheat
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Maybe his coach, since it seems like VT does this every year. I know I should be rooting for as many teams from the ACC as possible, but I can't help but want to root against them ever year.

I don't like him either. It's either Florida State or Virginia Tech that presents the greatest yearly hazard to our players; they get chippy when the going gets tight and I always fear for our safety. I'm glad this ones over and we advance to (play) the hated holes tomorrow.

dth.

superdave
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
The entire Unc team is more punkly than Allen. Every last one of them. I nominate Barnes' smirk as edging Allen's elbow for punkest body part.

VaDukie
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I dislike Barnes because he plays for them. I am honestly contemptuous of Jeff Allen.

mkline09
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Any real competition?

Shumpert for his actions against Tyler Thornton might get some votes but Allen wins out in the end.

dairedevil
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
GA Tech has played Duke really chippy under Hewitt. Perhaps that will change with a new coach, since that strategy didn't seem to be working lately.
Don't know who I would call this year's punk, though...

Reilly
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
... in the post-game press conference, set up a flat screen TV.

Show the montage of every Jeff Allen elbow, every Jeff Allen head shake of "no" and every Jeff Allen mouthing of the word "bull" at being called for every foul ....

.... SHOW IT ... then ask Seth Greenburg: "what do you as the head coach have to say about all this?" ... about time for some accountability and true calling out in this world.

roywhite
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey, Jeff: SCOREBOARD

And, by the way, great game today on your part. You were so busy woofing and being a tough guy that you forgot to play basketball.

wsb3
It is always something with VT. Wasn't it Paulus that got kicked in the face while on the floor? Next to UNC they are my least favorite ACC team. OK don't shoot me for this but I don't really dislike Maryland. The idiot fans yes but the team and Gary no.

Bob Green
There are words which accurately describe my disdain for Virginia Tech and their over-the-top physical play. There is no excuse for the premier basketball conference to have to put up with Greenburg and his Band of Bullies. The ACC needs to take action against the (C)Hokies. Allen and Delaney are an embarrassment to the league.

League expansion -- Yuck! -- Epic failure.

DukieInBrasil
03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Allen likes to play with his elbows high, and he deserves every intentional foul (or whatever it is that they're calling it) he gets for them.
The make-up call against Dawkins was utter horse snot as the defender was within Dawkins' vertical space and Andre had both hands on the ball as he was going for a shot. It shoulda been a foul on the VT player +1 cuz the shot went in.

Pantone #287
03-12-2011, 06:29 PM
It is always something with VT. Wasn't it Paulus that got kicked in the face while on the floor? Next to UNC they are my least favorite ACC team. OK don't shoot me for this but I don't really dislike Maryland. The idiot fans yes but the team and Gary no.

Actually, that was Lee Melchionni. Deron Washington was significantly worse than Jeff Allan, IMO. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrgNEZ8VR8

Greg Paulus got hit by Chris Paul in a sensitive area, IIRC.

House G
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Their style of play in basketball reminds me the way they try to manhandle/intimidate us in football. It was nice to see our guys not put up with it.

Greg_Newton
03-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Their style of play in basketball reminds me the way they try to manhandle/intimidate us in football. It was nice to see our guys not put up with it.

I found it quite funny that Ryan Kelly literally got chop blocked while trying to guard an inbounds play in the first half. Even funnier they called the foul on Kelly, but that's a story for another thread...

wilko
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
There are words which accurately describe my disdain for Virginia Tech and their over-the-top physical play. There is no excuse for the premier basketball conference to have to put up with Greenburg and his Band of Bullies. The ACC needs to take action against the (C)Hokies. Allen and Delaney are an embarrassment to the league.

I could not agree more... I posted this in the Post game thread..

Aside from our traditional rival, I dislike VT the 2nd most in the conference. These Nouveau Riche wannabes would not BE in the conference if not for the power play the Virginia State Legislature applied. These guys think they are the new Maryland.. take that and the horse you rode in on Uncle Fester..

Dre was fouled on THAT drive. He had his hand on the ball taking a shot, not a wild swing. Allen MADE it the issue.. he prolly could have gotten away with BOTH of those elbows like he always dose, IF he had show some restraint and not beaned Dre in the Face.

If WE had to expand I would have done it to focus on Core Competencies (Basketball) and not try to buy market-share and artificially prop up football. I would have looked to Louisville, Uconn, G'Town, KY and Syracuse. If there is East cost ball its ACC or bust. To heck with an out of conference schedule add quality teams and return to the round robin.

sagegrouse
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM
K had Duke playing tough physical game today, and it really got into Delaney's and Allen's heads. Delaney was complaining all game long, and Allen got two technical/personals for obvious elbows. Classic case of "you can dish it out, but can you take it?" K didn't call off the dogs until the last 1:30.

I don't think K likes Seth very much.

Sagegrouse
'BTW if State and Ga. Tech upgrade, is Seth then the worst coach in the ACC?'

Cameron
03-12-2011, 06:55 PM
It's either Florida State or Virginia Tech that presents the greatest yearly hazard to our players; they get chippy when the going gets tight and I always fear for our safety.

When Al Skinner was coaching alongside the River Charles, and Sean Marshall and Jared Dudley were still in town, Boston College made today's Florida State and Virginia Tech look like the the cast of Ladybugs. I have never hated a player more than I did Sean Marshall. The definition of a criminal. I have, in recent years, hated Paul Davis, Josh Boone (I wanted Boone X'd out), Joe Alexander, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, Deron Washington, Chas McFarland, Derwin Kitchen, Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Jeff Allen, among many others, just as much, but none more than Sean Marshall.

With Marshall, forget "getting chippy." If you scored on him, you had to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a shiv. I will never forget Redick's three-on-one fast-break triple at Chestnut Hill in 2006, which was followed by the stare-down of Sean Marshall after Marshall attempted to slow him up at half-court with a punk chest bump. Sweet memories.

Atlanta Duke
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I could not agree more... I posted this in the Post game thread..

Aside from our traditional rival, I dislike VT the 2nd most in the conference. These Nouveau Riche wannabes would not BE in the conference if not for the power play the Virginia State Legislature applied. These guys think they are the new Maryland.. take that and the horse you rode in on Uncle Fester..

If WE had to expand I would have done it to focus on Core Competencies (Basketball) and not try to buy market-share and artificially prop up football. I would have looked to Louisville, Uconn, G'Town, KY and Syracuse. If there is East cost ball its ACC or bust. To heck with an out of conference schedule add quality teams and return to the round robin.

Agree completely - I was going to post my own thoughts on this but you hit all my points

Duke and UNC fought expansion at the time - watching VA Tech today once again confirms how awful it is to have that school in the ACC

The ACC sold its soul when it expanded to become a football conference and did not even get the benefit of becoming a better football conference

ajgoodfella7
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
When Al Skinner was coaching alongside the River Charles, and Sean Marshall and Jared Dudley were still in town, Boston College made today's Florida State and Virginia Tech look like the the cast of Ladybugs. I have never hated a player more than I did Sean Marshall. The definition of a criminal. I have, in recent years, hated Paul Davis, Josh Boone (I wanted Boone X'd out), Joe Alexander, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, Deron Washington, Chas McFarland, Derwin Kitchen, Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Jeff Allen, among many others, just as much, but none more than Sean Marshall.

With Marshall, forget "getting chippy." If you scored on him, you had to make sure he wasn't going to pull out a shiv. I will never forget Redick's three-on-one fast-break triple at Chestnut Hill in 2006, which was followed by the stare-down of Sean Marshall after Marshall attempted to slow him up at half-court with a punk chest bump. Sweet memories.

I don't even think Sean Marshall's parents liked Sean Marshall.

AZLA
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I just always enjoyed the annual Seth Greenberg sob-fest portion of CBS Selection Sunday. It was always so dramatic, Seth on the phone complaining about VaTech getting left out of the dance yet again...

Usually, it came about 15 minutes into the show and somewhere in the dialogue was, "but, we beat Duke in the regular season... waaaaaa... Mommy!"

This year, I think the selection committee should just leave VaTech out just because the show want have as that raw, compelling, whiny diatribe we're so used to seeing. There will be others, but Seth has the feel-sorry for myself attitude down so good.

I think that attitude extends to his players. Like when he had to get on Delaney the other day and sit him down for pouting. Too funny.

Allen was a poor sport as was Delaney. I forgot who Marshall plowed into on purpose, but man, I liked how he was backing up his senior leader, Nolan.

roywhite
03-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Good call. The BC Eagles also had an obnoxious (and talented) group just before that which included Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney. Always felt that Ryan Sidney was the biggest drama queen in the ACC this side of Ivory Latta.

wilson
03-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Good call. The BC Eagles also had an obnoxious (and talented) group just before that which included Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney. Always felt that Ryan Sidney was the biggest drama queen in the ACC this side of Ivory Latta.The chippiness with the Troy Bell/Ryan Sidney bunch goes back even before BC's ACC days. I recall Jason Williams getting heaved into the scorer's table late in a January '01 game against those guys.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
The chippiness with the Troy Bell/Ryan Sidney bunch goes back even before BC's ACC days. I recall Jason Williams getting heaved into the scorer's table late in a January '01 game against those guys.

To be fair, IIRC Jason kind of baited that.

wilson
03-12-2011, 07:59 PM
To be fair, IIRC Jason kind of baited that.He did, but I remember his antics being a response to a game filled with a bunch of punkish behavior.

burnspbesq
03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I would vote Clan McCants for two places on the ACC's all-time All-Punk team. If anything, she was worse than he was.

And don't forget about Leah Matcalfe.

Reddevil
03-12-2011, 08:36 PM

I think a bunch of us feel this way about MD.

Thank you for saying this.

I know Nate is too mature, but I was sort of hoping they would do something stupid in his vicinity. It got sketchy there for a few moments like something crazy might start. I feel the need to check their graduation rates. They don't act like college kids. I really hope they get left out of the NCAA's again. If not, a play-in game would be nice. Why do they call it the first round? Please - it's a play-in. Anyway, I know many decent people that went to VT, and the kids on that team do not represent them at all. Keep losing to UVA Seth, and you'll be sent packing. The sooner the better!

sporthenry
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
The two people who have to stick out on these lists are Deron Washington and Sean Marshall who put Allen to shame. Allen was a bit of a punk but those guys reveled from their antics. I don't think G. Tech gets into the same category of FSU, BC (back in the day) and Va. Tech.
Those teams and especially those players legitimately scared me about what they would do next. It was ridiculous. I think the replays were made for these two guys, if only they had it back in the day. No Va. Tech or BC game would finish under 2 hours with all the delays and both those guys would be taking showers early.

arnie
03-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Thank you Bob - my feelings exactly. VPI has nothing but discredit the league since our esteemed commissioner invited them in. Greenburg was a thug, is a thug and will always be a thug.

Rudy
03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Did the broadcast say why the technical was called on Allen? I was in the arena and it wasn't clear. We guessed it was because of something he said in earshot of the ref. The teams were gathered at one end and it was a dead ball situation, I believe not long after Allen charged into Kyle and Kyle was called for the foul.

CameronCrazy'11
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Actually, that was Lee Melchionni. Deron Washington was significantly worse than Jeff Allan, IMO. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrgNEZ8VR8

Greg Paulus got hit by Chris Paul in a sensitive area, IIRC.

That was State's Julius Hodge actually. Paul and Paulus didn't play in college at the same time.

DukeDevilDeb
03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Did the broadcast say why the technical was called on Allen? I was in the arena and it wasn't clear. We guessed it was because of something he said in earshot of the ref. The teams were gathered at one end and it was a dead ball situation, I believe not long after Allen charged into Kyle and Kyle was called for the foul.

Elbow to the head. Two free throws and the ball to the team that got hit in the head.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
How could Vitale and Bonner proclaim so definitively that Allen did not throw it in his face on purpose? Andre's whole body was out of bounds and he had all the time in the world to decide where to throw it. He could hit any part of his body yet he hits him in the middle of the face?

I understand not proclaiming that he did because how could you know. But the reverse is true as well.

Man that pissed me off.

Newton_14
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
How could Vitale and Bonner proclaim so definitively that Allen did not throw it in his face on purpose? Andre's whole body was out of bounds and he had all the time in the world to decide where to throw it. He could hit any part of his body yet he hits him in the middle of the face?

I understand not proclaiming that he did because how could you know. But the reverse is true as well.

Man that pissed me off.

We had the ACC Network here locally. After initially stating it was not on purpose, Tim Brando changed his mind upon seeing the replay. He thought it was intentional. I don't see how one could view it any other way. Did Allen really even need to throw it off of Andre at all? I only saw the one replay but it appeared he could have stayed inbounds if he had wanted to without throwing the ball off Andre in the first place.

wavedukefan70s
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I really had no problem with Seth green burg until December 29 2008.V.T. was in my town playing (Charleston southern university)csu.csu had the hokies on their heels.they were flat out outplaying them.one of csu's big men was giving them trouble.also csu's guard warren was eating them alive.csu's pf was undercut.he never came back into the game.they foul looked dirty to me. that and what i actually heard greenburg whining about. he was on refs for most of the game.that forever changed my perception of Mr.green burg.the hokies ended up coming back and winning 75-66.i wonder if allen was on that team aswell?

verga
03-12-2011, 10:32 PM
i remember Sean Marshall guarding JJ Redick and talking smack. Well this one time he was in JJ's face screaming at the top of his lungs at mid court. The only problem was BC had called a timeout, JJ knew they had called the timeout and just stood there and finally he told Marshall look at the scoreboard there is a timeout and the idiot just simply smiled sheepishly and walked to the bench. There have been many thugs in the league but the one who doesn't get his just due is Chris Paul, don't believe anything good about him, he was a thug then, he is now and will continue to be.

biscuit30
03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't even think Sean Marshall's parents liked Sean Marshall.

Now that is funny!!!

bdevil4life
03-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but I think the fact that we let the shot clock expire at the end of the Maryland game v/s Nolan driing for a layup at the end of the VT game says alot about how little we respect those thugs and rightly so.

devildeac
03-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Wait....did that happen today?

Is that low-life a senior? If not, can the acc suspend him for a game? Nah, what am I thinking. If two unc FB players can get away with punches without a suspension, why would I even think that the front office would suspend this clown for an obscene gesture.
Wait a minute. What's the commish's name again?:rolleyes:

-bdbd
03-13-2011, 01:57 AM
During the timeout right after Allen's shenanigans we were watching the refs huddled around the monitor for a long time, even telling the players to go back into their huddles when they came out before the refs were ready. They'd missed the dirty play the frst time. Then they seemed to reach a conclusion pretty quickly and called the HC's over and explained what had happened and what they were going to do/call. Seth was immediately angry... Not knowing what was going on inside the stadium, in retrospect it was funniest when Allen came over to the VT bench as we were shooting the technicals and (towards his coaches) gave a "I have no idea why they could have called anything on me" shrug/shake and quick comment. It was real nice to see him foul out early.

FWIW, the VPI fans didn't seem overwhelmingly into it, and seemed more-or-less resigned to losing from fairly early on. Just my perception from inside the Coliseum.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2011, 08:07 AM

Man that pissed me off.

I watched on Raycom and G-Man/Brando both called Allen out. Repeatedly.

gw67
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the photo was taken from a game two years ago at Maryland, of all places. VT actually did something right and suspended Allen for a game after he did this.

story (http://www2.wsls.com/sports/2009/feb/17/virginia_tech_suspends_jeff_allen_for_uva_game-ar-381845/)

Allen has had a chip on his shoulder since his freshman year. He is a local kid and seemed to get into some sort of altercation (pushing, shoving, overly agressive fouls,trash talking) in every Maryland game the past four years. VT has put up with his misbehaviour and, as a result, he goes overboard at times. Based on past experience, it appeared to me that neither incident yesterday was an accident.

gw67

wsb3
03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Allen has had a chip on his shoulder since his freshman year. He is a local kid and seemed to get into some sort of altercation (pushing, shoving, overly agressive fouls,trash talking) in every Maryland game the past four years. VT has put up with his misbehaviour and, as a result, he goes overboard at times. Based on past experience, it appeared to me that neither incident yesterday was an accident.

gw67

Wait! You mean Seth runs a loose ship? ;)

weezie
03-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I just always enjoyed the annual Seth Greenberg sob-fest portion of CBS Selection Sunday. It was always so dramatic, Seth on the phone complaining about VaTech getting left out of the dance yet again...

Usually, it came about 15 minutes into the show and somewhere in the dialogue was, "but, we beat Duke in the regular season... waaaaaa... Mommy!"

Seth and his bunch of crybabies. Chokies it is.

There was a little "moment" after Fri night's game. Seth's daughter-cheerleader came over to grab her father in a hug but he was being embraced by one of his players. He didn't see her coming up from behind and raised his arm and clocked her under the chin by mistake. She had to have been seeing stars. I wondered if he ever found out what he did albeit by mistake.
He's such a dolt. Pretty daughter, though.

smvalkyries
03-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Did the refs miss the call when Allen threw the ball in Andre's face? If I am not wrong Andre was already completely off the court and out of bounds when the ball hit him. In such circumstances I thought he was treated as part of the out of bounds and could not be called for touching the ball out of bounds?

4decadedukie
03-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Every word is absolutely true, shipmate. When the ACC expended (and I mean from eight, not recently from nine universities), we imported Thug-Ball, largely from the Big East. FSU, VPI, Miami and BC -- especially VPI -- play with thuggishly and have attitudes that are simply inconsistent with everything the ACC has stood for. Expansion is a complete fiasco.

MCFinARL
03-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Every word is absolutely true, shipmate. When the ACC expended (and I mean from eight, not recently from nine universities), we imported Thug-Ball, largely from the Big East. FSU, VPI, Miami and BC -- especially VPI -- play with thuggishly and have attitudes that are simply inconsistent with everything the ACC has stood for. Expansion is a complete fiasco.

But gee, it made ACC football so good....:D

OldPhiKap
03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Pat Kennedy did not employ thug-ball.

WVDUKEFAN
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM

We (WVU) rooted against them when they were in the Big East too. Don't feel bad. We loved to see them get beat right up there with Notre Dame. They're a bunch of thugs.

COYS
03-13-2011, 04:20 PM

One thing I will say, though, is that last year's team with Zoubs, Singler, and Thomas gave as good as it got. I don't mean that we were dirty last year, but we weren't afraid to mix it up if that's how the game was going to be played. My impression is that last night against VT really got our big guys in the mind-set that it's going to be a war on the court. Today against UNC, Mason, Miles, and Singler combined to impose their will on the game much as Zoubek, Thomas, and Singler did last season. I don't like Thug-ball and I am definitely not excited about expansion because I LOVED round-robin play. However, I think the team showed in the VaTech rematch that no one's going to push us off the court.

4decadedukie
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Pat Kennedy did not employ thug-ball.

I never suggested he did . . . however, FSU certainly has during various periods -- and that was (and is) my point.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I never suggested he did . . . however, FSU certainly has during various periods -- and that was (and is) my point.

Understood, and not picking. I took your comment to be on how they played when they entered the league, but see that I was mixing two points in my head.

No question, every one of their games I saw this year involved commentators using the word "chippy." Which I guess is polite TV talk for trash-talking cheap shot artists.

4decadedukie
03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
One thing I will say, though, is that last year's team with Zoubs, Singler, and Thomas gave as good as it got. I don't mean that we were dirty last year, but we weren't afraid to mix it up if that's how the game was going to be played. My impression is that last night against VT really got our big guys in the mind-set that it's going to be a war on the court. Today against UNC, Mason, Miles, and Singler combined to impose their will on the game much as Zoubek, Thomas, and Singler did last season. I don't like Thug-ball and I am definitely not excited about expansion because I LOVED round-robin play. However, I think the team showed in the VaTech rematch that no one's going to push us off the court.

I agree fully; however, there is a mammoth difference between thug-ball (consider yesterday's Jeff Allen out-of-bounds and intentional ball throw that struck Dawkins' head) and legitimate, proactive, aggressive play within the rules.

ajgoodfella7
03-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I guess the NCAA tournament committee frowns upon thuggery and whatnot.

Have fun watching from home Jeff Allen.

Duvall
03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Looks like the NCAA decided they could conduct the Tournament without VPI. What a shame.

oldnavy
03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I guess the NCAA tournament committee frowns upon thuggery and whatnot.

Have fun watching from home Jeff Allen.

Hehehehehehehehe!!! :p

diveonthefloor
03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Karma is tough, Seth .

OldPhiKap
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Hehehehehehehehe!!! :p

X2.

Seth, here's a hint: the NCAA doesn't want thug ball in the tournament.

AlaskanAssassin
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
although I dislike VaTech, i feel bad for them..especially the seniors. Malcom deserves to make some noise in the tourney.

burnspbesq
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
If you had grown up in Rialto, you'd be a punk too. It's the ingrown hair in the armpit of SoCal.

4decadedukie
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Looks like the NCAA decided they could conduct the Tournament without VPI. What a shame.

Well, they will have UMd to complement VPI at the NIT; I know, however, UNC-CH will be missed this year.
:)

roywhite
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
X2.

Seth, here's a hint: the NCAA doesn't want thug ball in the tournament.

We'll likely not hear an official explanation for VT not making the tournament, at least not a candid one.

But I've got to agree here, and think that Allen's antics may well have been a factor in the Hokies not making the NCAA field.

By the way, Seth, how did you like the inclusion of other Commonwealth schools Richmond, VCU, ODU and George Mason, not to mention Hampton?

Tom B.
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, they will have UMd to complement VPI at the NIT....

Actually no they won't, as Maryland didn't even make the NIT. Ouch.