PDA

View Full Version : Penn State/Wisconsin Game - Why the LOW score?

Pam
03-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Obviously I didn't see this game and from the 36-33 final score, I am glad I didn't take the time. At first glance, I thought I was seeing a score from the early 1970s, before the advent of the shot clock. Anyone know what happened in the game? On my part, I am not interested in either team, just quite curious.

TexHawk
03-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Well, it is not really surprising. According to Kenpom:

Tempo:
Penn St (#338 out of 345 teams)
Wiscy (#344 out of 345 teams)

Just a really, really slow game. Wiscy is usually very efficient, but not so much tonight.

As a casual fan who is scared to death of facing either team, it was mind-boggling. One team would make a shot (finally), and the other would let the ball roll on the ground for 5-6 seconds before attempting to pick it up and inbound.

Pam
03-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the info, TexHawk. I was just really, really curious. Must have been kind of boring to watch. I hate to admit to being old enough to remember games pre-shot clock, but I am and many of those games were just NOT fun to watch.

Well, it is not really surprising. According to Kenpom:

Tempo:
Penn St (#338 out of 345 teams)
Wiscy (#344 out of 345 teams)

Just a really, really slow game. Wiscy is usually very efficient, but not so much tonight.

As a casual fan who is scared to death of facing either team, it was mind-boggling. One team would make a shot (finally), and the other would let the ball roll on the ground for 5-6 seconds before attempting to pick it up and inbound.

ns7
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
The game featured 42 possessions, the lowest since 1998.

Pam
03-12-2011, 01:33 AM
The game featured 42 possessions, the lowest since 1998.

That is amazing! I knew if I posted the questions here, I could get some good answers. Thanks.

Greg_Newton
03-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Jimmer Fredette won this game by 16 points tonight.

Buckeye Devil
03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Penn St. shot 33% from the floor and 25% from behind the arc. Wisky was much worse shooting only 15/51 from the field including 2/21 from 3 point range. The Lions' leading scorer had 9 points. The possesions were limited and it seemed like it took a long time for either to take the ball out of bounds after a made shot. But of course there were not too many of those. The Badgers were still stinging after getting walloped by Ohio State last weekend.

If you want to see ugly basketball that looks little better than the 1960's style of play, watch Penn St., Northwestern, Wisconsin, and to a lesser extent Michigan. They like to slow it down to the extreme, milk the shot clock and wait for the opponent to make a defensive mistake with about 8 seconds to shoot. Plus, while I like Tom Izzo, I don't find the MSU style of basketball particularly aesthetic or pleasing to watch either.