PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith Toe Vigil

kong123
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
when do you guys think he will be back?

oldnavy
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Too dang funny, good on Kong, very good! ;)\\I know a guy that knows a guy that says he will start practicing tomorrow!

Newton_14
03-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Tomorrow at 4pm.

davekay1971
03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Very strong work...I vote we take Kong straight from 2 pitchforks to at least 5.

Faison1
03-11-2011, 09:20 PM
very funny Kong

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Below the belt Kong, below the belt

Son of Mojo
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Take all of his tridents away for that..........

muzikfrk75
LOL...here we toe again...

DukeGirl4ever
I find no humor in this (ok, maybe just a bit).
But seriously....WHAT'S WITH THE DANG TOES????

GEEZ!

wsb3
Kong we are very sensitive to toe humor.;)

SCMatt33
03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
If Nolan's hurt, I think he should consider amputation. Tom Dempsey didn't need toes. Get that guy back in.:p

DU82
Tomorrow at 4pm.

Hope he's ready at 3:30! Four PM may be too late.

CDu
Not a fan of opposing team fans making light of our player's injuries - even if it is intended just to poke fun at the fan base.

Hopefully this doesn't sideline Smith for any games (or hinder him). Not thrilled with the toe injuries this season!

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
If Nolan's hurt, I think he should consider amputation. Tom Dempsey didn't need toes. Get that guy back in.:p

Plus, judging from a preseason video, Nolan's big toe is just nasty anyway.

kong123
03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Not a fan of opposing team fans making light of our player's injuries - even if it is intended just to poke fun at the fan base.

don't worry, already got some hate mail

MCFinARL
03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Really though, humor aside, it may not be such a bad question. Nolan was obviously walking, but limping, off the court at the end of the game tonight. There may be some tough questions to answer about whether he should play now (assuming he can) or rest up for later.

_Gary
03-11-2011, 09:27 PM
You know what, I'm a guy that has a great sense of humor. I really do. But somehow I just don't see the humor in this one, folks. I hope Nolan is fine, but until I find out for sure that he is I can't laugh about this. Wonder if kong would be as willing to crack jokes if a couple of Tarheel starters, let's say Kendall and Harrison, both went down with similar injuries. Somehow I think not.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
The original post stands. It says a lot when a unc fans chooses to spend ACC Tournament Friday on our board. I'm laughing because you can't make this stuff up.

If you want to discuss the toe or spread toe rumors, go ahead. Maybe Erin Andrews will have more toe information when she does the game tomorrow.

AtlBluRew
03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Funny stuff, kong!

Anyone who is offended isn't seeing that you're making fun of the incredibly long thread, NOT the injuries.

Dr. Tina
03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, I'll be praying for Nolan's toe, too, but I vote that 3 tridents is way too many...

pamtar
03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Really though, humor aside, it may not be such a bad question. Nolan was obviously walking, but limping, off the court at the end of the game tonight. There may be some tough questions to answer about whether he should play now (assuming he can) or rest up for later.

and so it begins.......

jipops
You know what, I'm a guy that has a great sense of humor. I really do. But somehow I just don't see the humor in this one, folks. I hope Nolan is fine, but until I find out for sure that he is I can't laugh about this. Wonder if kong would be as willing to crack jokes if a couple of Tarheel starters, let's say Kendall and Harrison, both went down with similar injuries. Somehow I think not.

The humor is not directed at the Duke players. That should be pretty obvious. I get the feeling that if UNC was suffering similar circumstances, Kong would be willing to joke with it too, based on the fact that he's been willing to dive into this forum through both good and bad times for UNC.

1 24 90
Is there something wrong with the shoes our guys wear?

CDu
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Funny stuff, kong!

Anyone who is offended isn't seeing that you're making fun of the incredibly long thread, NOT the injuries.

Oh I'm seeing what the intended humor was. It's just not appropriate coming from an opposing team's fan. It's sort of like making a joke about someone else's overweight relative while being a guest in their house.

Dr. Tina
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM

I thought he was wearing the new Kobe's or whatever they are called...

jipops
03-11-2011, 09:32 PM

I vote we switch to stride rites next season.

#1Duke
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
So, no kidding, I just rewound my DVR and looked at Nolan's toe in freeze frame on my new HD TV.
It ain't TOE, it's TOES!!
He has 3 toes that are ugly, black and blue and swollen!!:(
No kidding, check it out, his toes are UGLY.
Did he have a previous injury or did all this happen tonight??
I hope he is OK!!

ETA: Why didn't they have ice on it??

callmecrazy
03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I know we are all enjoying this but really... we need to focus here. I truly hope we get some info soon.:confused:

SMO
03-11-2011, 09:38 PM
So, no kidding, I just rewound my DVR and looked at Nolan's toe in freeze frame on my new HD TV.
It ain't TOE, it's TOES!!
He has 3 toes that are ugly, black and blue and swollen!!:(
No kidding, check it out, his toes are UGLY.
Did he have a previous injury or did all this happen tonight??
I hope he is OK!!

ETA: Why didn't they have ice on it??

There have been jokes about Nolan's toes for awhile now, so I'm sure their ugliness is nothing new.

#1Duke
03-11-2011, 09:38 PM

I seem to remember some pretty harsh and crude comments I read here directed at Tyler Hansborough when Henderson decked him.
An injured player is an injured player no matter WHO it is AND, Nolan was not injured by a foul.

_Gary
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I think that if we knew that Nolan's injury was not at all serious and he'd be 100% tomorrow the joke would have been OK. But the fact is Nolan did not, probably could not, return to the game. That makes this a joke in poor taste, IMHO.

Bluedevil114
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Duke medical staff needs to create a steel-toe shoe. This toe stuff has to stop.

hurleyfor3
During the game ESPN (Jenanine Edwards?) said it was his second toe. Then Mike Patrick proceeded to play doctor and speculate this wasn't as bad as a big toe injury.

PallasAthena
Why isn't that pesky toe elevated and iced? Wouldn't that reduce inflammation and pain? I don't understand our medical staff.

Chris Randolph
03-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Just reported on ESPN that Nolan couldn't walk up the stairs on his own to the locker room. NOT GOOD!

Tonight it will get swollen and plenty sore. Doubtful for tomorrow IMO, hope I'm wrong!

Devil07
03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Edwards just updated in the FSU game: Nolan had to be helped up stairs to the locker room and is being evaluated. They'll know more tomorrow. It's the second toe. Let's hope it's nothing major...

hurleyfor3
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Folks, please keep discussion to the toe. No more comments on the OP's motivation. Several posts have been deleted; don't repost if it's not related to the injury.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Other than their looks? I swear, it looked like they were taking a blue sequin sneaker off of Nolan's foot to look at it!

jv001
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Edwards just updated in the FSU game: Nolan had to be helped up stairs to the locker room and is being evaluated. They'll know more tomorrow. It's the second toe. Let's hope it's nothing major...

This year we've had our share of misfortune. Let's hope Nolan is a quick healer and ready to go soon. This week is important, but next week is more important. Go Duke!

wsb3
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
During the game ESPN (Jenanine Edwards?) said it was his second toe. Then Mike Patrick proceeded to play doctor and speculate this wasn't as bad as a big toe injury.

Coach K just said the same thing in the press conference. He said he was certain that it was the second toe.

KandG
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM

I'm normally the same way, but a 67 page thread filled with wishful speculation, Holiday Inn Express-level medical opinion, and outright fan fiction -- one of the biggest embarrassments I've ever seen at DBR -- deserved this playful jab at a minimum.

I genuinely hope Nolan is OK and isn't hurt longer than this weekend, but Kong's humor is good-natured, all about the fans and not the player, and more than warranted.

MarkD83
03-11-2011, 09:49 PM
don't worry, already got some hate mail

Kong,

I like your wit and "give and take" on this board so keep it up.

TNDukeFan
03-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm normally the same way, but a 67 page thread filled with wishful speculation, Holiday Inn Express-level medical opinion, and outright fan fiction -- one of the biggest embarrassments I've ever seen at DBR -- deserved this playful jab at a minimum.

Except now it's 72 pages.

_Gary
Well, that post-game news is not good. We may very well be without Nolan for the rest of the weekend. Dang! :(

cbarry
Duke medical staff needs to create a steel-toe shoe. This toe stuff has to stop.
Amen! Steel-toed shoes for all of our players!!!

CDu
I think that if we knew that Nolan's injury was not at all serious and he'd be 100% tomorrow the joke would have been OK. But the fact is Nolan did not, probably could not, return to the game. That makes this a joke in poor taste, IMHO.

Agreed. It wasn't in good taste, given that it's related to (potentially) a significant toe injury to yet another star guard.

Hopefully, Smith's toe doesn't prevent him from missing time. I'm not optimistic about tomorrow if reports are true that he was having trouble leaving the court post-game.

cbarry
03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, that post-game news is not good. We may very well be without Nolan for the rest of the weekend. Dang! :(
That really stinks! Unfortunately, the first thing I thought when I saw Nolan's reaction to being examined was that we would not be seeing him again in a Duke uni. Very sad. I sure hope I am wrong.

_Gary
03-11-2011, 09:53 PM
That really stinks! Unfortunately, the first thing I thought when I saw Nolan's reaction to being examined was that we would not be seeing him again in a Duke uni. Very sad. I sure hope I am wrong.

Ugh. I hadn't even thought about never seeing him in a Duke uni again. Darn, now I really am depressed. It's just not funny to me.

dukeballboy88
03-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow, if Nolan cant go, Duke would be playing without the ACC/NCAA player of the year and the #1 pick in next years nba draft. man, am I the only 1 that still thinks Duke can win it all? Im always op"toe"mistic!

if kong can get 2 pitch forks I should be able to get at least 1!!!

dukelifer
03-11-2011, 09:54 PM

yep. hopefully he will be okay next weekend. This of course makes it hard to win it all but also takes pressure off the team- so you never know.

Greg_Newton
03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
We need a toe by 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon... with or without nail polish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20wUS_bbOHY&feature=related

cbarry
03-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow, if Nolan cant go, Duke would be playing without the ACC/NCAA player of the year and the #1 pick in next years nba draft. man, am I the only 1 that still thinks Duke can win it all? Im always op"toe"mistic!

Only if Kyrie comes back and contributes immediately. A Duke team WITH Kyrie, and WITHOUT Nolan is something I had never thought about before tonight. Could be interesting. I think we really need BOTH Nolan AND Kyrie to have a serious chance at a deep run.

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Why didn't we think of this earlier? Walter Sobchak could have gotten us a toe months ago.

Bravo, by the way.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Can't roll on Saturday, though, Dude.

CDu
03-11-2011, 10:00 PM

If we are without both Irving and Smith, I think it would take a miracle for us to win the NCAA championship. I'm not saying there'd be a zero percent chance, but it'd be getting to that neighborhood.

Let's just say I'm really hoping the injury to Smith isn't so serious that he misses significant time.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Remember when Kentucky had Team Turmoil? We have Team Toe-moil.

weezie
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM

TV angle didn't show one miserable hole fan clapping for Nolan. Lacking in class, as always.

And spare me the "oh but there were so many others acknowledging the injury that you couldn't see on TV" cop out.

fgb
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
If we are without both Irving and Smith, I think it would take a miracle for us to win the NCAA championship.

it would take close to that to even win the next couple of games. andre, if you ever planned on stepping up on the big stage, now's your time.

muzikfrk75
03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
*grabs popcorn*

DukeDevilDeb
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I find no humor in this (ok, maybe just a bit).
But seriously....WHAT'S WITH THE DANG TOES????

GEEZ!

I have asked myself that question 1000 times. Not only toes, but feet in general... we go back to Grant, Bobby, Elton, Carlos, Zoubs, and many other Duke players who have had serious foot/toe injuries. And these are just basketball players. If we go over to the football side, there have been many more.

[I'm working on how to put this tactfully...]

Several of the student athletes have suggested to me that the shoes that our athletic teams wear do not offer tremendous support. Obviously, that is a very touchy subject. Any thoughts?

kong123
03-11-2011, 10:30 PM
to me, this is almost as bad as the Japanese earthquake.

see, making fun of Roy now.

Greg_Newton
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
If we are without both Irving and Smith, I think it would take a miracle for us to win the NCAA championship. I'm not saying there'd be a zero percent chance, but it'd be getting to that neighborhood.

Let's just say I'm really hoping the injury to Smith isn't so serious that he misses significant time.

The crazy thing is, if I had to bet my life on it, I would say it's more likely that we have both back by the sweet 16 than neither. So it's conceivable that, despite all the craziness from this year, we could have the dream team reassembled at full strength and coming out of nowhere in the second week of the tournament.

It's good that it's Nolan's second toe, not big toe. Let's just hope it wasn't anything freaky like Kyrie's, and just a "stubbing".

El_Diablo
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM

see, making fun of Roy now.

Please try a little harder to contain your glee.

wilson
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM

see, making fun of Roy now.Too soon, man. I appreciate what you're getting at, but too soon.

weezie
03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Several of the student athletes have suggested to me that the shoes that our athletic teams wear do not offer tremendous support. Obviously, that is a very touchy subject. Any thoughts?

I wonder, too, since most pros wear Nike but must have custom shoes made exactly for their feet. Does Duke not have that? The bespoke basketball shoe?

Duke players move so much on defense, too, a lot of cutting and stopping. Maybe they wear down the support.

kong123
03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Please try a little harder to contain your glee.

i was poking fun at these fansites and our obsession with our favorite teams. i am not happy that the young man hurt himself. Nolan is a great player and he represents the ACC very well. I am sure he will be back for tomorrows game.

kong123
03-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Duke players move so much on defense, too, a lot of cutting and stopping. Maybe they wear down the support.

so... if you stop playing defense, your foot problems will cease to be an issue?:cool:

WVDUKEFAN
03-11-2011, 10:39 PM
From the Sporting News - Coach K Quote:

"
Krzyzewski said it was the second toe on his left foot, though, he admitted he didn’t know whether that meant the one next to the big toe or the one next to the pinkie toe—“Look, I’m Polish,” he said in an attempt to lighten the mood,” “I’m just glad I’ve got five toes.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-11/nolan-smith-suffers-toe-injury#ixzz1GLwoBSZh

kong123
03-11-2011, 10:42 PM
good night guys, sorry if I offended anyone

OldPhiKap
03-11-2011, 10:44 PM
From the Sporting News - Coach K Quote:

"
Krzyzewski said it was the second toe on his left foot, though, he admitted he didn’t know whether that meant the one next to the big toe or the one next to the pinkie toe—“Look, I’m Polish,” he said in an attempt to lighten the mood,” “I’m just glad I’ve got five toes.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-11/nolan-smith-suffers-toe-injury#ixzz1GLwoBSZh

Or watch the whole pc (not too long): http://www.theacc.com/allaccess/?media=236329

devildeac
03-11-2011, 10:49 PM
It's toe-ver. Again.

Dr. Tina
03-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I just want to know....

When are we planning to have the candlelight vigil for Nolan and Kyrie's toes?

mgtr
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
so... if you stop playing defense, your foot problems will cease to be an issue?:cool:

On the Duke team? Sure, because you will be off the team (or keeping stats) before you know it.

throatybeard
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
The original post stands. It says a lot when a unc fans chooses to spend ACC Tournament Friday on our board. I'm laughing because you can't make this stuff up.

If you want to discuss the toe or spread toe rumors, go ahead. Maybe Erin Andrews will have more toe information when she does the game tomorrow.

I admit it. I was sucking EA's toe.

aro24
03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
I have asked myself that question 1000 times. Not only toes, but feet in general... we go back to Grant, Bobby, Elton, Carlos, Zoubs, and many other Duke players who have had serious foot/toe injuries. And these are just basketball players. If we go over to the football side, there have been many more.

[I'm working on how to put this tactfully...]

Dump the Nike's and go back to the Adidas they used to wear in the early 90's and before. Don't remember any foot probs back then.

ARo24

gep
03-11-2011, 11:08 PM

I didn't see the game yet... plan to watch replay later. But, Kyrie actually went back into the game after his injury. So, to me, the fact that Nolan walked off the court may not mean much at this point. I am HOPING FOR THE BEST.

I remember when Zoubs was hurt... then the discussion went back to Carlos and Elton... about maybe shoes, Cameron floor, etc... :confused: Of course, the floor is not the issue here, but shoes?

wallyman
03-11-2011, 11:08 PM
good night guys, sorry if I offended anyone

No one should be offended. I didn't detect any glee and Kong and Wheat are terrific and welcome posters.

sagegrouse
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Dump the Nike's and go back to the Adidas they used to wear in the early 90's and before. Don't remember any foot probs back then.

ARo24

I think these shoes are or can be all custom-made for any foot or purpose. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Nikes worn by major programs similar to store shoes in the same way that NASCAR "stock cars" are to street cars?

In golf, players are able to change club sponsors because all the clubs are custom-made and then stamped with a logo.

sagegrouse

BleedsP287
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM

I, for one, do see some humor in the question given the Kyrie discussion. That said, you could argue it is a legitimate question, when DO we think he'll be back. I see no disrespect in Kong's post.

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I think these shoes are or can be all custom-made for any foot or purpose. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Nikes worn by major programs similar to store shoes in the same way that NASCAR "stock cars" are to street cars?

In golf, players are able to change club sponsors because all the clubs are custom-made and then stamped with a logo.

sagegrouse

I think a lot of the shoes worn are actually store bought shoes. I know Mason seems to have an endless supply, and even wore Air Jordan's a few times this year which wouldn't be provided by Duke. I know even a lot of NBA players wear shoes from their personal collection. I think as long as they are Nike branded products of like colors, they will be allowed.

wilson
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM

ARo24...and while we're at it, rid our uniforms of the terrible, terrible, ugly black trim, and return them to their resplendent early '90s glory.

devildeac
03-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I admit it. I was sucking EA's toe.

Hey, find your own keyhole:o:rolleyes:.

Hurley2Hill
03-11-2011, 11:38 PM

The new Nike "Timberlake"...

I wonder if this injury might be more of a day to day thing. Hope to see him back on Sunday at the latest...hehehe.

Atlanta Duke
03-11-2011, 11:39 PM
If it beats Louisville tonight my guess is Notre Dame is locked into a #1 seed

Since I also think Duke locked in a #2 seed by winning tonight (I do not believe the tournament committee will take the psyops pre-game brandishing of Kyrie Irving into account) I wonder if K can channel Roy's disdain for the ACC tournament and sit Nolan Smith even if he can go to rest up for the real tournament next week

hurley1
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM

duke can win it all......curry is handling the ball well, and he is a thief on defense....we can play well, and fast with him on the point....as duke gets deeper in the ncaat, i believe you will see both plumlees on the floor together more....singler is heating up....that leaves dawkins....the best form in the ncaa....if dawkins heats up red hot, we will be very hard for anyone to beat....dawkins looked good on defense tonight too.....remember, our lead was extended significantly with these 5 on the floor....singler, curry,dawkins, plumlee and plumlee......that ain't no joke ....lol.....miles looked good tonight too....heck, they all looked good.....and nolan had a terrible night....

Kedsy
03-12-2011, 12:25 AM
If it beats Louisville tonight my guess is Notre Dame is locked into a #1 seed

Since I also think Duke locked in a #2 seed by winning tonight (I do not believe the tournament committee will take the psyops pre-game brandishing of Kyrie Irving into account) I wonder if K can channel Roy's disdain for the ACC tournament and sit Nolan Smith even if he can go to rest up for the real tournament next week

Well, Notre Dame failed in OT, but even if they hadn't, I doubt Nolan's availability would be governed by the concept of resting him for the NCAAT. If he's given medical clearance he'll play, and if he isn't he won't.

uh_no
03-12-2011, 12:31 AM
duke can win it all......curry is handling the ball well, and he is a thief on defense....we can play well, and fast with him on the point....as duke gets deeper in the ncaat, i believe you will see both plumlees on the floor together more....singler is heating up....that leaves dawkins....the best form in the ncaa....if dawkins heats up red hot, we will be very hard for anyone to beat....dawkins looked good on defense tonight too.....remember, our lead was extended significantly with these 5 on the floor....singler, curry,dawkins, plumlee and plumlee......that ain't no joke ....lol.....miles looked good tonight too....heck, they all looked good.....and nolan had a terrible night....
And the question becomes: how many stars can duke lose before dbr no longer thinks they will win the tournament!

Op-toe-mistic on both our star guaards

ChicagoCrazy84
03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
First, how does Kong have more tridents than I do?? Come on!!

Secondly, Nolan should not play tomorrow because honestly, even if we lose and he is then upgraded to probable for the tourney (plus Kyrie :)) it shouldn't damage our seeding very much.

Kedsy
03-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Nolan should not play tomorrow because honestly, even if we lose and he is then upgraded to probable for the tourney (plus Kyrie :)) it shouldn't damage our seeding very much.

If it drops us from a #1 to a #2 I think that's a big issue. But I agree he shouldn't play unless the medical staff is pretty sure he's not risking further injury.

SCMatt33
03-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Secondly, Nolan should not play tomorrow because honestly, even if we lose and he is then upgraded to probable for the tourney (plus Kyrie :)) it shouldn't damage our seeding very much.

That's not exactly the case. The selection committee only goes by who has been available, not who is "expected" to be available. Obviously, if they went by what teams said, we could just say that both Nolan and Kyrie are "expected" to play, get a better seed, and then back track from that if necessary. Now, if Nolan's injury is not severe, and there appears to be a good chance that he will come back in the committee's mind, the affect on Duke's seeding would be less. Of coarse, this only comes into play if he doesn't play and we lose because of it. If the rest of the team steps up like they did tonight, it won't matter that he's hurt.

A few recent examples of this are UNC in 2009, who probably lost the number one overall seed because of Ty Lawson's injury, even though he was expected to be available in the tournament, and Syracuse last year, who might have swapped seeds with Duke because of Onawaku, even though his status was uncertain. In both cases, the seed drop due to injury was minimal, but did happen. The same could happen to Duke. If we lost tomorrow without Nolan, the committee could decide to drop us to a lower 2 seed (we'd already be a 2 seed by losing with or without Nolan), and may end up traveling farther for a regional.

FourWins
03-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I can't be the only one who saw electricity surge through Duke when Nolan left, the Terps were still in it; we have 3 guys on the floor with 3 fouls and then we’ve got Curry and Dawkins*driving* ..suddenly Duke is not looking like a team that "lives by the 3, dies by the 3" but one capable of handling UNC without needing to be white-hot from beyond the arc.

I have nothing against the man, but Nolan is simply not good enough of a player to hog the ball as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, he can score at will and plays great D, but it gets to his head. The better he's playing, the fewer times he wants to part with the ball. Was getting him and Seth to combine for 50+ really going to work twice against UNC?

This is Duke. Six guys have put up 20 or more points this season. The other options are there. I want to see what Tyler can do. They may not come through, but in any event I cannot see a Smith-led team returning even to the Elite Eight.

Bluedog
03-12-2011, 02:42 AM
No........we are better with Nolan.

CDu
03-12-2011, 02:45 AM
The answer is no. Be thankful that the team responded, but by no means is this team better without Smith. There is a good chance we won't make the Elite-8 with Smith (same is true for any team). There is minimal chance we make the Elite-8 without him.

VaDukie
03-12-2011, 03:02 AM
You saw roughly five offensive possessions against a team that went 7-9 in a historically weak ACC and you determine that we're better off without the guy that carried us here?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-12-2011, 03:11 AM
I would say no. But I see where you are coming from. We rely on him a little to much and the guys stand around and wait for Nolan to create but I would rather play with him than without.

03-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Funny stuff, kong!

Johnboy
03-12-2011, 03:13 AM

(1) To quote Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."
(2) "In-hale!, Ex-hale!"*

*Granted, this was chanted after player had recovered from injury, but it was us making light of their player's injury in good fun.

Kewlswim
03-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Hi,

However, it would be nice to see that patented Duke spacing and ball movement we had at the end of the game (and earlier in the season) with Nolan in there. It makes the team a lot more dangerous. I think we will see it moving forward with Nolan and, who knows, maybe with Kyrie too.

GO DUKE!

Namtilal
03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
We're not better without Kyrie, but in his absence, we saw how his aggressiveness had rubbed off on Nolan. We're not better without Nolan, but I felt like I was seeing the same effect with Seth late in today's game. When it was his turn to lead, he was fearless and aggressive like Nolan and Kyrie.

Edouble
03-12-2011, 03:47 AM
I can't be the only one who saw electricity surge through Duke when Nolan left, the Terps were still in it; we have 3 guys on the floor with 3 fouls and then we’ve got Curry and Dawkins*driving* ..suddenly Duke is not looking like a team that "lives by the 3, dies by the 3" but one capable of handling UNC without needing to be white-hot from beyond the arc.

I have nothing against the man, but Nolan is simply not good enough of a player to hog the ball as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, he can score at will and plays great D, but it gets to his head. The better he's playing, the fewer times he wants to part with the ball. Was getting him and Seth to combine for 50+ really going to work twice against UNC?

This is Duke. Six guys have put up 20 or more points this season. The other options are there. I want to see what Tyler can do. They may not come through, but in any event I cannot see a Smith-led team returning even to the Elite Eight.

This is your one and only post? Hopefully when I get out of bed in the morning this entire thread will have been deleted.

Go Duke!!!!

Go Nolan!!!

Greg_Newton
03-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Nolan had one bad game... he's been one of the all-time greats this season.

However, I think a better question is "Could Duke get better with a couple weeks without Nolan Smith?" And I think the answer is yes. Nolan is a very dynamic player, but maybe has been putting a little too much pressure on himself lately. If other players can step up and the team can be effective without him, I think the mental and physical benefits of a couple games off might not hurt, and might let him relax and get back to "attack mode". This has potential to be much more of a Carlos-Boozer-2001 situation than Kyrie's injury ever was, if we get Nolan back next weekend or the weekend after.

For as much as Duke's been overlooked and had setbacks this season, it's very possible that in 13 days we could be taking the floor for a sweet sixteen game with a lineup of Irving-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles, with Seth and Dre coming off the bench with starter confidence. That's what's exciting to me.

03-12-2011, 04:12 AM
This is your one and only post? Hopefully when I get out of bed in the morning this entire thread will have been deleted.

Go Duke!!!!

Go Nolan!!!

Why did you bother to even post in this thread then? It was a very good and reasonable question. Hopefully your post shall be removed for lack of civility.

HK Dukie
03-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Troll? (1. recent creation of account, 2. only one post ever, 3. trashes our best player)

At very least I would merge this into Toe vigil to not give it extra attention.

balkan boy
03-12-2011, 06:12 AM
I hope it is not a case of the dreaded Terp toe....

Reilly
03-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Could Duke be better? Yes.
Will Duke be better? I doubt it.
Will playing without Nolan be as devastating as it seems? I doubt that, too.

Thoughts rattling around my brain this morning:

- the 1-post is suspicious ... whatever

- I spent the better part of the home GT game arguing with a Duke classmate who I watched the game with, as my classmate was saying he believed Duke often played better without Nolan. Mind you, this was a game where "Nolan Smith had another great offensive game with 28 points, seven rebounds, and four assists." I basically spent the game telling my classmate he was crazy; he is, however, a generally astute b'ball observer. His point was that TT involved more of the other players, and the offense flowed better overall when Nolan was out, and that compensated for not having Nolan's firepower. He liked seeing everyone else more involved. I think he had a point, to a point, as does the OP here (no matter his motives).

- It's often bugged me how in the MOTM polls, game after game, it seemed to me Nolan was the MOTM clearly, but it seemed to me that folks would just take his super high production for granted, and vote for the player who exceeded (generally lower) expectations that game. That bugged me to no end for some reason, and I used to never even really look at those MOTM polls, and truly only voted a couple times this year, but it was spurred by a feeling of folks somehow taking Nolan for granted.

- I'm less worried about Duke and more sad for Nolan. We still have how many McD's All-Americans even if you take away Kyrie and Nolan? We still have how many top 50 players in the country? On paper, we're still more talented than the vast majority of other teams out there even w/out two absolute studs in Nolan and Kyrie. Duke will be (relatively) fine (or at least have a relative chance). Will (sort of) be fun to see how it plays out, how Seth and Andre respond, what buttons K pushes. Ay, but for Nolan, a senior who has worked so hard, who has developed such a connection with the fanbase via his play, his compelling life story, via his grittiness and work ethic, and his seemingly wonderful personality .... get well, and let's hope he plays, moreso for his sake than Duke's sake, in my book. Although Duke needs him too.

oldnavy
03-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Nolan is one of the best to wear a Duke uniform. To suggest that we somehow are a better team without him is silly. Did we play out the game better after he went out.. I think we did. Did it give Seth and Dre a boost to know that they had to step up, I think it did. But we are clearly better with Nolan than not.

A good analogy would be to say UNC is better without any of their starters because Roy pulled them all in the Miami game and they got a jolt of energy and played well for 68 seconds... not sure that they actually did, but you get my point I hope.

We need Nolan to come back as soon as he is able...

I will say this, Seth showed some stuff he hasn't show before, and I was impressed!

Besides, I love Nolan, he is my favorite Duke player on this team and that says a lot since I think Kyle is perhaps the "toughest" man to wear a Duke uniform... (well other than Nate James, but of course Nate is not humans so he should not count).

DevilWearsPrada
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
The Twerp did step on Nolan's toe.

I did talk with Nolan's Mother and Sister, after the game.

In the first half, Nolan was wearing a arm sleeve, because his left arm was swollen. He had some kind of knot on it. And that completely threw his shooting off. He improved his shooting but taking off the arm sleeve. And then the Twerp stepped on his toe.

When I asked his Sister if she thought he would play, even if he was still hurting or sore, she said YES. Nolan's tough, and he will want to play.

I want to see Nolan play, if he is cleared.

I am so over these TOE INJURIES. Somebody, make Duke some toe protected shoes!! Our guards are getting hurt to much this season.

LOVE NOLAN! LOVE DUKE!

GTHC!

and as always,
GO DUKE!

camion
03-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Is Va Tech better without Delaney?

Is UNC better with out Zeller?

Is Fla State better without Singleton?

Is Wake better without, uh... never mind.

wsb3
03-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Coming together for a few minutes is one thing and don't get me wrong it was impressive. That few minutes does not translate to entire games or diminish what a wonderful player Nolan has been for us.

Bluedevil114
03-12-2011, 07:54 AM
NO!!

For five minutes we played better. Nolan was having a terrible game. Nolan goes down with an injury and others step up. Millions of examples in sports history. When Tom Brady went down, Matt Cassell steps in and leads them to an 11-5 record but he was not better than Tom Brady.

We need Nolan Smith to win a National Title. I hope that just gives Seth Curry more confidence as we move on. Along with Andre Dawkins. Go Duke!!

Rogue
03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Better without a potential NPOY ??

I do understand the post a little. I remember when Gene Banks went down after the regular season, that many said, for one game, others play better and more emotional trying to take up the slack.. but that, that kind of emotions usually is good for one game.
We need Nolan back ASAP.. I know he will,, but that might not be today.

I do want him back even more for NEXT Thursday of Friday, than I want him back today.

GO DUKE
GO NOLAN and all the the wounded TOEWARRIORS

camion
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM
First we get Kyrie and the big toe.

Next it's Nolan and the second toe.

I'm worried that we're working our way through the little piggy rhyme.

Please, no roast beef.

Turtleboy
03-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Duke better without Nolan? Of course we are! Remember how Fred Lind Wally Pipped Mike Lewis and became one of the biggest stars ever to wear the Royal Blue?

davekay1971
03-12-2011, 08:15 AM
It was absolutely fantastic to see the way Curry and Dre responded to Nolan going out with his injury. As a team, we played magnificent basketball to end the game without him. Curry has been stepping up over the last 2 months. Dre needed this kind of performance. If both of them can continue to perform at that level, it makes us much, much better.

There's no doubt, however, that we need Nolan back and healthy to have any legitimate chance to contend for a natty. He's consistently been sensational this season, in every phase of the game.

Most importantly, Nolan came back to school for this time of year. For his sake (and you just have to love this kid), I hope he can play and play without any limitation. He came back to compete for another ACC and national championship. I hope that dream doesn't get derailed by bad luck!

Get that toe well quick, Nolan!

Saratoga2
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi,

However, it would be nice to see that patented Duke spacing and ball movement we had at the end of the game (and earlier in the season) with Nolan in there. It makes the team a lot more dangerous. I think we will see it moving forward with Nolan and, who knows, maybe with Kyrie too.

GO DUKE!

We are much better with Nolan but would be better still if we could run a more balanced offense with him in the game. It sometimes has become a two man show and that will not win against the better teams.

mcdukie
03-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Who would think we would be better without a player of the year candidate? Do we need to spread the ball around more? Probably. But to suggest we are better is crazy. Somebody said we are better with TT running the team? I told you all you can only play Tyler in certain situations. He was not a factor at all last night. I mostly feel bad for Nolan. Hopefully we will be ready to go.

dukeballboy88
03-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I think we can win the acc tourney without Nolan and I think that k should go ahead and sit him out and rest him for the NCAA's. It could make us a better team going forward because this will make Andre play valuable minutes and hopefully gain some confidence. Ive always thought he was a stud after watching him in high school and he has hit some big shots in his breif Duke career.

Im not saying we are better without Nolan at all. Nolan has improved more than any player over a 4 year period than I can remember and he has done alot for the program. Playing without Nolan for the rest of the ACC tourney will prepare us for a deep run in the NCAA's!

DukeFanSince1990
03-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm just worried about Singler's middle toe :rolleyes:

DonnyDevil
03-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Nolan just posted on Twitter his normal "its gameday yessirrrrr"..... this would make me think he is playing today.

GO DUKE!!!

Dr. Tina
03-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Nolan just posted on Twitter his normal "its gameday yessirrrrr"..... this would make me think he is playing today.

GO DUKE!!!

I hope he's playing and the toe problem is nothing too serious. However, Nolan seems to be the kind of guy that he'd be pumped and excited for Duke to be playing...no matter what HIS condition is! He's just a really positive, upbeat guy who is enjoying every last Duke game he has.

MarkD83
03-12-2011, 10:13 AM
This time of year is no longer about who is on the court. It is about the players on the court having the will to win. We have seen at various times all year and last night that Andre, Seth, Mason, Miles and Ryan can produce and of course Kyle. So whether Nolan is on the court or Kyrie comes back it is all about making the plays that they know they can make.

JG Nothing
03-12-2011, 10:14 AM
We're not better without Kyrie, but in his absence, we saw how his aggressiveness had rubbed off on Nolan. We're not better without Nolan, but I felt like I was seeing the same effect with Seth late in today's game. When it was his turn to lead, he was fearless and aggressive like Nolan and Kyrie.

Maybe what you are seeing is just Smith and Curry's natural disposition to attack when they are the primary ball handlers. Smith was attacking the basket last season. I never saw Curry at Liberty, but I doubt he averaged 20 points per game playing passively.

Ping Lin
03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I agree that this one-post-and-disappear "FourWins" character is a little strange, but I think it's possible to parse his question in a way that isn't insulting or obviously wrong.

Nolan Smith during yesterday's game was just about the weakest I've seen him play since freshman year. Again, clearly not his fault since a) Gary was gunning for him remorselessly and b) he was wearing a sling which hampered his shooting. (The no-rim bricked 3 in the first half made me wince.) It could be that FourWins is saying that this team is better off with this iteration of Nolan, i.e. one whose shooting form is stunted. If this is what he's saying, then his question is not that much out of left field.

However, I would still disagree. I'd claim that part of the reason that other players managed to get involved and get opportunities was because Smith was the object of so much attention from the opposing team. Any player which complicates an opposing team's defense to the degree that Nolan's presence does strengthens the team, even if he's not 100% -- and this is doubly true for a player that could easily be 100% in a short space of time.

shoutingncu
03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Nolan is probable per Andy Katz... at least that's what ESPN just said on Sportscenter.

Chris Randolph
03-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Nolan is probable per Andy Katz... at least that's what ESPN just said on Sportscenter.

Beat me to it! Good to hear. Toe must not have swollen up too much, or Nolan is just a BA is going to tough it out!

Lets Go Duke

stillcrazie
03-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Beat me to it! Good to hear. Toe must not have swollen up too much, or Nolan is just a BA is going to tough it out!

Lets Go Duke

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209592

sagegrouse
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Could Duke Actually Be Better Without Nolan Smith?

Welcome to the DBR. Obviously, folks have taken exception to your position, which should be no surprise. While not supportive of your position, I have no intention of piling on.

I find being a fan an emotional experience -- highs and lows following each game (and, as a measure of how spoiled we are, sometimes "lows" after wins). In government we called it a "recency problem" -- making the last thing that happened the most important. Moreover, matchups make a difference, and the Duke-Maryland matchups, while favorable to Duke, are not necessarily favorable to Nolan Smith.

Two things I believe about the Maryland game:

The Terps have no one to guard Kyle Singler. Young Pallson is shorter (6-6) and outweighed by 40 pounds. Mosley, who guarded him a good portion of the game, is only 6-4. No surprise that Kyle eats up the Terps.

WRT Nolan, I think Maryland does a really good job defending him. You are aware, aren't you, that Nolan is from just down the road from College Park and plays pickup ball in the summer on the Maryland campus? Moreover, Bowie, Gregory and Mosley are all local guys, who have known Nolan forever. Not only do the players know Nolan's game -- but it's personal.

While it can be fun to play what-if games with lineups, I am sure you recognize that K has called Nolan the best player in the ACC. Why would he ever sit him? And who would score the 21 points we would lose? If there are problems in passing, K can address those in practice.

sagegrouse

gofurman
03-12-2011, 12:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209592

so - we should be able to get at least something.. was the team out practicing and has anyone seen Nolan on court today.. surely they practiced this morning per-unc/clemson

oldnavy
03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Just sounds funky doesn't it!

I hope Nolan is back, I do love that kid!!

I was thinking if it were me I would go old school. Have the doc numb it up and go back in the game... but then again I am an idiot!

Hopefully no major damage just soreness without a chance of making the damage worse, if that is the case you know Nolan will play through the pain and be his awesome self!!

KandG
03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Duke is not better without Nolan Smith, obviously. The poster's point about Nolan dominating the ball and what it does to ball movement is a fairer question, and it doesn't have to do with Nolan being a ball hog, but more with the pressure on Nolan to be a distributor *and* scorer *and* defender of the other team's best guard or wing player. I've always felt the playmaking part is toughest for him to pull off well for 35+ minutes with all the other responsibilities he has, because it's never come naturally to him.

It's likely Duke is better with Nolan Smith playing off the ball with an above-average, pass-first point guard. Scheyer last year, Irving this year. (Tyler isn't quite there yet, unfortunately, and Seth is just like Nolan). Last night's spurt of scoring when Nolan left the game was fascinating, though note that the other guys weren't exactly moving the ball -- they just felt more free to create on their own, rather than looking for Nolan so much.

Edouble
03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I agree that this one-post-and-disappear "FourWins" character is a little strange, but I think it's possible to parse his question in a way that isn't insulting or obviously wrong.

Nolan Smith during yesterday's game was just about the weakest I've seen him play since freshman year. Again, clearly not his fault since a) Gary was gunning for him remorselessly and b) he was wearing a sling which hampered his shooting. (The no-rim bricked 3 in the first half made me wince.) It could be that FourWins is saying that this team is better off with this iteration of Nolan, i.e. one whose shooting form is stunted. If this is what he's saying, then his question is not that much out of left field.

However, I would still disagree. I'd claim that part of the reason that other players managed to get involved and get opportunities was because Smith was the object of so much attention from the opposing team. Any player which complicates an opposing team's defense to the degree that Nolan's presence does strengthens the team, even if he's not 100% -- and this is doubly true for a player that could easily be 100% in a short space of time.

I agree. Just what the commentators were pointing out last night when Nolan went out.

Also: if Gary's defense is designed around stopping Nolan, what does Nolan leaving the game do to the defense? It confuses things a bit for the Twerps, I assume.

NSDukeFan
03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Duke is not better without Nolan Smith, obviously. The poster's point about Nolan dominating the ball and what it does to ball movement is a fairer question, and it doesn't have to do with Nolan being a ball hog, but more with the pressure on Nolan to be a distributor *and* scorer *and* defender of the other team's best guard or wing player. I've always felt the playmaking part is toughest for him to pull off well for 35+ minutes with all the other responsibilities he has, because it's never come naturally to him.

It's likely Duke is better with Nolan Smith playing off the ball with an above-average, pass-first point guard. Scheyer last year, Irving this year. (Tyler isn't quite there yet, unfortunately, and Seth is just like Nolan). Last night's spurt of scoring when Nolan left the game was fascinating, though note that the other guys weren't exactly moving the ball -- they just felt more free to create on their own, rather than looking for Nolan so much.

I think I agree with your main point that sometimes the other players on Duke's team can look better when Nolan is not in the game, because the team has to rely more on ball movement to generate offense. My belief is that the coaching staff feels Nolan can generate a high percentage shot more than the team could with lots of ball movement. I think that is similar to last year where the team felt that they would get higher percentage shots keeping the ball with the big 3 as much as possible as opposed to playing a prettier style with more ball movement in the low and high posts. That's my simplistic take on things that may or may not be right.

DevilHorns
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I think we can close this thread. Thankfully.

cbarry
03-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Thankfully is right!

I think we can close this thread. Thankfully.

wilson
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I blew out my candle about 4 minutes into the game.

cakerace
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM
"Close this thread! Close this thread! Close this thread..."

pfrduke
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Happily.